2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

shoulders back at address

1) stand tall without a club in your hands

2) shoulders back and you will notice your chest now sticks out a bit

The above is essential to proper posture for all shots from driver thru the putter, because it promotes the arms and body working together as one.

Most amateurs address the ball with their shoulders rolled forward, and from that point one is likely to make only an ineffective arm swing.

1 hour ago, Tfb003 said:

I think you want your shoulder relaxed, not pulled back.

Relaxed shoulders is fine, but when they're rolled forward at address this promotes an ineffective arms powered swing.

At address shoulders back-chest out and relaxed is ideal. This naturally promotes the body and arms turning together as one unit.

• Confused 1

Disagree.  Relaxed shoulders is the way to go.  Look at tour pros.  Most of them have relaxed shoulders at set up.  Rarely do you see a tour pro with their shoulder pulled back and chest sticking out when addressing the ball. 

• Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM Qi10 Tour 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Add me to the list of "NO"s.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 29. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell

18 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Disagree.  Relaxed shoulders is the way to go.  Look at tour pros.  Most of them have relaxed shoulders at set up.  Rarely do you see a tour pro with their shoulder pulled back and chest sticking out when addressing the ball. 

Shoulders back can be done while still relaxed. Tiger in his prime is a good example of same.

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, ac6 said:

His shoulders are not pulled back.

Please read the first post of this thread. Obviously if someone is holding a club addressing a golf ball his/her shoulders will need to be in a position

somewhat forward of where they would be standing tall without a club.

The point of this thread is to encourage players to avoid addressing a ball with their shoulders scrunched and, or rolled forward. This is something most amateurs do and it promotes an ineffective primarily arms powered golf swing.

If one wants to improve their golf posture technique, a good start is as written in the first post of this thread

"1) stand tall without a club in your hands

2) shoulders back and you will notice your chest now sticks out a bit"

• Confused 2

37 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

Please read the first post of this thread. Obviously if someone is holding a club addressing a golf ball his/her shoulders will need to be in a position

The point of this thread is to encourage players to avoid addressing a ball with their shoulders scrunched and, or rolled forward. This is something most amateurs do and it promotes an ineffective primarily arms powered golf swing.

If one wants to improve their golf posture technique, a good start is as written in the first post of this thread

post a photo of bad posture you describe and then an example of good posture 

A “ neutral spine “ is the position of the spine in which mobility is maximized , injuries are minimized and the spine is the strongest . In a “neutral spine” the three spinal curves are present -lordosis ( inward sloping ) in the lumbar spine , kyphosis ( outward sloping)in the thoracic or middle spine and lordosis in the cervical spine( neck) and are aligned .

A “ neutral spine” is the same in golf as in any other activity in which a person is standing upright and the same position as 

as  in good  posture  with ONE  slight alteration .Because the weight of the golf club pulls  down on the shoulders , a golfer will have slightly more kyphosis in his thoracic spine and his shoulders will appear slightly  more slumped  than in the ideal “ neutral spine” posture 
Those golfers with too much inward curvature in their lumbar spine are described as having a “S” posture , while those with too much outward curvature in their thoracic spine are described as having 

a “C “ posture . Neither is ideal and can lead to less than optimal performance and injuries .

Since many golfers work at a desk most of the day , the first thing that golfers need to do is to practice good posture( with a neutral spine )  while standing in front of a mirror. After one can consistently stand erect with good posture ( which is  harder than most think ) , one can introduce the weight of the golf club.

”s” posture on the top left 

“ neutral “ posture on the top right

” c” posture below 

IMG_4499.png

IMG_4500.png

Edited by golfarb1

7 minutes ago, Louis_Posture said:

Have you considered using the word please ?

You’re either interested in teaching what you think is an important idea, and therefore should be sharing as much material and examples you have, or you’re just interested in getting in pissing matches. It would save everyone some time if you picked one. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10  ST //  Callaway Apex UW 19* Aldila Rogue M*AX 85TX
Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour // Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour 
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

24 minutes ago, golfarb1 said:

A “ neutral spine “ is the position of the spine in which mobility is maximized , injuries are minimized and the spine is the strongest . In a “neutral spine” the three spinal curves are present -lordosis ( inward sloping ) in the lumbar spine , kyphosis ( outward sloping)in the thoracic or middle spine and lordosis in the cervical spine( neck) and are aligned .

A “ neutral spine” is the same in golf as in any other activity in which a person is standing upright and the same position as 

as  in good  posture  with ONE  slight alteration .Because the weight of the golf club pulls  down on the shoulders , a golfer will have slightly more kyphosis in his thoracic spine and his shoulders will appear slightly  more slumped  than in the ideal “ neutral spine” posture 
Those golfers with too much inward curvature in their lumbar spine are described as having a “S” posture , while those with too much outward curvature in their thoracic spine are described as having 

a “C “ posture . Neither is ideal and can lead to less than optimal performance and injuries .

Since many golfers work at a desk most of the day , the first thing that golfers need to do is to practice good posture( with a neutral spine )  while standing in front of a mirror. After one can consistently stand erect with good posture ( which is  harder than most think ) , one can introduce the weight of the golf club.

Excellent !

I agree especially with the last paragraph of your post. Also at home away from the course, in addition to posture practice, learning and rehearsing proper grip technique is extremely helpful to better golf.

35 minutes ago, MK7Golf21 said:

Trying to help the thread, it’s hard to understand what you are describing without seeing. I don’t care if you post them or not

Please read the first post of this thread. There is nothing "hard to understand" about :

2) shoulders back and you will notice your chest now sticks out a bit "

3 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

In the list of setup differences between a tour pro and a bad amateur, shoulders forward or back is not in the top 100.

• Like 1

I watched this recently from Dan Whittaker who talks about getting the shoulders backwards (from about 1:30).

I've always struggled with an inside takeaway and this has definitely helped. One of the few things set-up wise that I've never seen mentioned before. Maybe some folk don't need it, but it seems to be working for me thus far. Added benefit of my speed going up a bit after focusing on this.  

I think I understand the OP. I'm long in the upper torso so when I address the ball I lower the club and upper torso at the same time and my shoulders move 5-6 inches closer to the ball. If I stand with the club vertically in front of me like Scottie Scheffler and just lower the club to the ball my shoulders don't move forward. I've been fighting this for 62 yrs. and to this day can't set up properly. Something so simple is very very hard for me.

6 hours ago, Louis_Posture said:

Please read the first post of this thread. There is nothing "hard to understand" about :

2) shoulders back and you will notice your chest now sticks out a bit "

The reason I ask is because your post says "Most amateurs address the ball with their shoulders rolled forward, and from that point one is likely to make only an ineffective arm swing".

Having a club in your hands and reaching down to the ball automatically rolls the shoulders forward. Standing tall and keeping shoulders back is a totally different position, as soon as you address the ball and reach down to the ball with straight arms the shoulders will roll forward. It's near impossible to not roll the shoulders forward while having your arms straight down to the ball.

This is why I wanted to see photos of the difference in golf posture.

Correct posture and setting up in balance 

may not be  a priority for some golfers , but these are “   necessary but not sufficient “ conditions to developing a good golf swing .

Whether one should setup with a “ neutral spine” is not a subject that can be debated. It is basic anatomy and kinesiology  that reflects the way 

the way our spines are designed. Most golfers do not realize it , but setting up in an “s” or more commonly a “ “c” posture is reducing their ability to rotate and creating the conditions for possible chronic back problems that are pandemic among serious golfers. 

27 minutes ago, golfarb1 said:

Correct posture and setting up in balance 

may not be  a priority for some golfers , but these are “   necessary but not sufficient “ conditions to developing a good golf swing .

Whether one should setup with a “ neutral spine” is not a subject that can be debated. It is basic anatomy and kinesiology  that reflects the way 

the way our spines are designed. Most golfers do not realize it , but setting up in an “s” or more commonly a “ “c” posture is reducing their ability to rotate and creating the conditions for possible chronic back problems that are pandemic among serious golfers. 

Your post was fairly correct in that for a golf swing the shoulders will round forward some because you are reaching down with a golf club. It's not like standing tall with your arms at your side and rolling your shoulders back.

The S posture is fixed by not curving your lower back too much or having your butt sticking high at address. The C posture is mostly related to neck position, keeping it neutral at address 

3 hours ago, MK7Golf21 said:

Your post was fairly correct in that for a golf swing the shoulders will round forward some because you are reaching down with a golf club. It's not like standing tall with your arms at your side and rolling your shoulders back.

The S posture is fixed by not curving your lower back too much or having your butt sticking high at address. The C posture is mostly related to neck position, keeping it neutral at address 

Although some postural problems can be corrected by just adopting better setup positions as you suggested  , fixing many posture problems is not that  simple, since they are usually caused by muscle tightness and weakness . 
A decade ago TPI posted some information on these postural problems , which I copied in the below screenshots 

IMG_4505.png

IMG_4506.png

IMG_4502.png

IMG_4503.png

Edited by golfarb1
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 1:29 AM, hammersia said:

In the list of setup differences between a tour pro and a bad amateur, shoulders forward or back is not in the top 100.

I guess if Tour pros were questioned every one of them would cite either grip technique  or posture technique  as the primary difference between Tour pro and amateur player.