2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Experimenting with Jumbomax grips

skraly

So, I've been intrigued lately aobut experimenting with the Jumbomax grips.  Per their site recommendation I went with the Ultralite medium to start my experiment.  I put one on a spare 6 iron that I frequently use at the driving range.  Initial results are very promising I must say.  Generally very solid contact and no loss of distance.  The feel of the larger grip took a short time to adjust to but that's all.  Now I'm ready to expand my experimentation.

Jumbomax grips are on the more expensive side as far as full swing grips go.  So I've looked into using compressed air to install them instead of double sided tape.  The Jumbomax web site says not to use compressed air but a site search here seems to indicate that it is quite doable.  I have all the needed gear to use compressed air and that will be my option going forward.  My next step is going to be putting one on a wedge and a driver to see how the larger grips works on these clubs.

That is my question for those who have switched to these larger grips.  What was the effect on the driver and short game, particularly on part shots around the green.  I'm not too worried about the driver.  But I'm pretty good around the greens with my current set up and I don't want to lose that aspect of my game.  Any real issues or just a matter of adjustment?

That is part of my decision to use compressed air.  If I find that the Jumbomax medium doesn't work for the short game I'll be able to easily remove the grips from the wedges and use them on other clubs.  I might find out that the next size down in  Jumbomax is what I need for the wedges.  I'm interested in trying some back-weighting as well so I want to be able to remove the grip and replace it a couple of times.  With cheap Tour Velvets its no big deal but the Jumbomax are about 3x the price of a Tour Velvet.  We'll see.

So any feedback, particularly about adapting Jumbomax to the short game is appreciated.

Edited by skraly

I’ve tried about four different models of jumbomax, the idea makes perfect sense to me, but couldn’t get comfortable with the texture, they all felt like I actually had to grip harder to keep the club in my hands. 

then I tried the zen lite, which is brilliant, just a normal grip but bigger and feels great in the hands. 

anyway; last night I actually reshafted the two irons I had them on because it’s easier than trying to remove (let alone save) one of these.

with the irons I think they are ok, but you definitely lose a lot of feel. Probably makes no difference to the shot but you aren’t rewarded with that special feeling of a well stuck iron. I’ll probably go back to them sometime of course.

with driver I really like them, very comfortable and can’t see myself changing back any time soon.

surprisingly given what I said about irons, on wedges (and my short game is not good) I really like them too. They give me a feeling of greater control, less flipping, cleaner contact etc. 

have only put on with solvent so can’t comment on using air. 

What are you wanting to achieve, what issues are you addressing? Arthritis? 

I have experimented, I found that you can build up the Pure midsize grips a lot to something that probably approaches a jumbomax - I say that because it stopped me using my wrists at all, so I guess that's "thick enough".

It definitely wasn't something for me, but Bryson still makes it work even with his current more conventional less upright setup. 

I've played with backweighting a lot as well, honestly I think the effects are fairly minor compared to grip size. Not many pros do it, Sergio and Jack are the only ones who come to mind.

Not arthritis or any physical limitations.  Just curious about something so different from the norm that at least some people are having some success with.  Always tinkering.  It had slipped my failing memory but a long time ago I had a set of Ping Zing2's I bought used that had the old Ping dylagrips on them in the orange color code which were more of an over-sized grip and not a jumbo.  But I hit those very well.

Up until a couple of months ago (play Zen Lights currently) I played the Jumbomax Ultralight XL's in ALL my clubs for the last 8 years. They were the biggest single game improvement change I've ever made. Gave me more control and about 5 - 8 yards of extra distance throughout the bag.

My hands are normal size, if I wore a glove it would be a large. I've never wore one and still don't. Even here in the humidity soaked Houston area. While using these I held the club in the palms (interlock still) of my hand. Just so easy to hold and really relieves the tension in the forearms.

This is my 2nd attempt with the Zen Lites so we'll see how it goes. They are quite a bit harder than the Ultralights but I really like the texture, especially not using a glove. But to be honest I can easily see myself going back to the JMX Ultralight XL's.

Also as far as using air. I have always used air with no issues at all. I actually set the compressor at 75psi. Put on 1 wrap of the medical tape (like they use for wrapping ankles) a little soap and water and they go on/off very easily.

Any other questions just fire away.

Edited by SEP1006
  • Like 2

DRIVER -     PXG Black OPs Tour 1 - 8* | 🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥   
2 WD -         PXG Gen 6  13* |  🔥KHT AUTOFLEX SF505🔥

2/3/4 Hybrids- PXG Gen 6 | Accra Tour 90i Stiff

IRONS -       PXG Gen 6 XP DOUBLE BLACK | MMT 80 Stiff                     
WEDGES -  PXG Sugar Daddy II 54*/13 and 58*/10 | MMT 80 Stiff  
PUTTERS - LAB MEZZ MAX Blue Head w/White Accra 

LAB MEZZ MAX Red Head w/Black Accra 
BAG -           PXG Staff Bag

GRIPS -       JUMBOMAX ULTRALIGHT XL ON ALL

@SEP1006.... is such a bad influence 😂🍻

Use air. Especially if you are tweaking your driver. You can use a car pump versus a pancake tank/compressor. I set my $30 amazon pump unit to 125 before it switches off. Love that thing!

Yeah, I am about to experiment with counter balancing my driver S2+ with the Velo TR Red so air is the way to go. Will use double masking tape to secure butt ends, just in case

Jumbomax STR8 Ultralite in the XS size

Edited by SwingBlues
  • Like 1

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• 5 months later...

I play often with a friend who plays with JMX Ultralite XS so after 1-2 months or so of deliberation and some convincing from him, I decided to regrip my entire set with Zen Lites XS few days ago. After one bucket of range balls few days ago and then a 18 hole round yesterday without warmup due to closed range, I played well enough to nearly pay off my 13 grips investment.

I think I will stick with it. I do have some problems with my shaky left hand and a right trigger finger. It seems to help somewhat.

• Like 1

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 Tour 15*

SIM2 Max 21* Diamana 75-S

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 50*, 54* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey White Ice DART 46"

I've used the JM ultralite XL for the last few years. I'll never go back to a small grip. More control of the club, more control of the face, slight increase in distance across all clubs and less twisting on off center strikes.  I saw an increase in short change control and accuracy. I've tried both the Tour and Ultralite models and found the Ultralite works best for me.  They are the weight of a normal grip, where the Tour models are twice the weight of a regular grip.  I can definitely tell a difference. 

The only con is to find a golf bag that fits 14 huge grips! I love the Ogio Woode with 15 way individual dividers. 

A few of my friends have also switched to the JM grips after trying mine. 

• Like 2

On 7/14/2023 at 8:58 AM, SEP1006 said:

But to be honest I can easily see myself going back to the JMX Ultralight XL's.

Well it happened a few weeks ago as I thought it would. Kept the Zen Light XL on my Driver / 3wd. Back to the Ultralight XL's on everything else !!!!!!

On 7/14/2023 at 6:01 PM, SwingBlues said:

You can use a car pump versus a pancake tank/compressor. I set my $30 amazon pump unit to 125 before it switches off. Love that thing!

A bit of a topic change, but I need to change grips and didn’t think of using a normal car pump. Any more detail on this? Do you use an inflation needle, like for a basketball? This would be easy to try, but hard for me to visualize. 

10 hours ago, GoBlue102 said:

A bit of a topic change, but I need to change grips and didn’t think of using a normal car pump. Any more detail on this? Do you use an inflation needle, like for a basketball? This would be easy to try, but hard for me to visualize. 

No, no needle, just the plastic conical tip. It's about an inch long

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

• 2 months later...

Hi guys.  I am coming to the conclusion I need something like this.  I have struggled for years and years of trying to keep the grip under my left hand heel pad.  Tried all different sizes, and it always slips out.  I have large hands, but also meaty? (That feels weird typing).  Point is, I'm just trying to embrace something that fits correctly in my left hand palm.  I always play best when I put it there to begin with.  I tried a few jumbomaxs back in the day, but they were the huge ones.  I think trying the next jumbomax past a regular jumbo grip would be the way to go?

"Patience without understanding"

10 hours ago, slantsflood said:

Hi guys.  I am coming to the conclusion I need something like this.  I have struggled for years and years of trying to keep the grip under my left hand heel pad.  Tried all different sizes, and it always slips out.  I have large hands, but also meaty? (That feels weird typing).  Point is, I'm just trying to embrace something that fits correctly in my left hand palm.  I always play best when I put it there to begin with.  I tried a few jumbomaxs back in the day, but they were the huge ones.  I think trying the next jumbomax past a regular jumbo grip would be the way to go?

I've been using the Ultralight XL's now for probably 10 years. My hands are not large by any means. I don't, but if I did I would wear a large glove.

Have you tried the bigger grips with putting them in the palm of your lead hand? This is what I do and TO ME gives me so much more control of the club face.

13 hours ago, SEP1006 said:

I've been using the Ultralight XL's now for probably 10 years. My hands are not large by any means. I don't, but if I did I would wear a large glove.

Have you tried the bigger grips with putting them in the palm of your lead hand? This is what I do and TO ME gives me so much more control of the club face.

That is the way Bryson grips the club with the grip in the palm of his left hand.  I also grip it that way and i use the extra large Jumbo ultralight grips.

10 hours ago, E2EGOLFER53 said:

That is the way Bryson grips the club with the grip in the palm of his left hand.  I also grip it that way and i use the extra large Jumbo ultralight grips.

Yes Sir, same here. And the reason I went to these 10 years ago

was I also swapped to the BDC 1-plane swing.

• Like 2

I switched to JMX Ultralite XS earlier this year along with my move to a single plane swing. I’m working with Kirk Junge, who recommends these grips. I like them a lot and don’t see myself switching back to regular grips. 

Clubs: Ping (Driver, 5W, 5H, 6H, 7i-UW), Cleveland (wedges), Odyssey 2-Ball counter balanced

Ball: Maxfli Tour (yellow) or Vice Pro (neon lime); Callaway ORG 7 bag; Shot Scope x5

• 2 months later...
On 3/19/2024 at 9:31 PM, golferdude54 said:

With such grips, can you guys still touch your palm with your middle and ring fingers when gripping around it? Or not at all? Just curious as I'm experimenting with larger sizes as well.

I just installed size Medium Ultralight Straight taper on some clubs, I wear a size large glove and I can just barely touch my palm. If you look at the specs medium in straight is smaller diameter than in tapered versions for some reason.

I have the small on all my clubs. At the butt end where I grip, my middle and ring fingers both still reach the palm pad.

I am also going up one size in my wedges and will report back. Really love the Jumbomax grips even though they are still too squishy for my liking. Make them rock hard like a Wilson Pro Staff tennis racquet with a leather grip and they’d be perfection….and I realize they’d sell about three per year. 🤣

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I have the Jumbomax Ultralight on my driver.  Ordered it that way thinking I had extra MCC4+ grips at home that I could swap with if I didn't like it.  So far I kind of like it.  I can't say for sure it does anything that impacts my swing or ball striking but I do feel that my hands are more relaxed.

I was initially worried that the grip would wear out very quickly and have wear marks on them due to the soft material used compared to standard rubber but this grip has held up well in the 11 or so months I've had them.

I'm tempted to try them on my irons, but honestly the biggest thing holding me back is not wanting that many jumbo grips at the bottom of my bag...LOL.

12 minutes ago, LBB said:

I'm tempted to try them on my irons, but honestly the biggest thing holding me back is not wanting that many jumbo grips at the bottom of my bag...LOL.

😂 no good answer for that one! I have a Titleist Players 4 and carry either 12 or 13 clubs. The occasional annoyance of getting a club back in the bag isn’t enough to make me want to go back to standard grips. I love the huge grips! My need is….unique….(chronicled elsewhere) and the benefit of the grip outweighs sometimes running hot on getting the club in.

I don’t scrub the grips down as hard as I did with solid rubber grips, but after almost a year on my clubs they seem to be holding up quite well. I don’t think they will need replacing this season. Maybe next year.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

4 minutes ago, mshills said:

😂 no good answer for that one! I have a Titleist Players 4 and carry either 12 or 13 clubs. The occasional annoyance of getting a club back in the bag isn’t enough to make me want to go back to standard grips. I love the huge grips! My need is….unique….(chronicled elsewhere) and the benefit of the grip outweighs sometimes running hot on getting the club in.

I don’t scrub the grips down as hard as I did with solid rubber grips, but after almost a year on my clubs they seem to be holding up quite well. I don’t think they will need replacing this season. Maybe next year.

LOL...I have a vessel lux staff bag and I'm still worried.  

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, LBB said:

I have the Jumbomax Ultralight on my driver.  Ordered it that way thinking I had extra MCC4+ grips at home that I could swap with if I didn't like it.  So far I kind of like it.  I can't say for sure it does anything that impacts my swing or ball striking but I do feel that my hands are more relaxed.

I was initially worried that the grip would wear out very quickly and have wear marks on them due to the soft material used compared to standard rubber but this grip has held up well in the 11 or so months I've had them.

I use the the JM XL Ultralight on all my clubs. The Ogio Woode is a perfect bag for these grips. 15 divided top. No club tangle. 

The Zen model is harder then the Ultralight. More like a regular rubber grip. 

3 hours ago, mshills said:

Make them rock hard like a Wilson Pro Staff tennis racquet with a leather grip and they’d be perfection…

Have you tried the JMX Zen Lites? Might be what you're looking for.