2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Mizuno jpx 923 hot metal pro or/vs Srixon zx5 mk II

Lumberjack627

Getting my hot metal pros this week but before putting them in play was reading a lot and watching a lot of videos on the Srixon irons. Would like feedback and thoughts if some have hit or played both. Srixon goes unnoticed a lot as a club maker than the bigger brands but I like the Japan style and feel of irons. Currently play mp20 hmb/mb combo set so automatically went with mizuno again. I will be going this week to hit got against each other just wanted to hear others thoughts thanks. 

I had the previous generations of both sets of irons.  They were both very good.  I held onto the Srixons because I just didn't seem to spin the HM Pro's enough.  The Srixon's aren't really a high spin iron, but a little higher spin for me.  HM Pro's were longer, but once again it was all because of spin.  Two fabulous sets of irons.  I did hit the  923 HM Pro's and MKii ZX5's again this year.  Pretty similar results and I have a set of the MKii's.  

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Titleist T150, KBS Tour R+, 6-pw

Titleist SM10 Nickel, 48F,54D,& 58D Black Onyx wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom 11L

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

Interested in this thread.  I currently play the 2019 HM Pros and I'm thinking of moving to a  Srixon combo set of 4 & 5's.  I need more height and spin and I'm hearing the Srixons have both.  I'm also playing the Modus Tour 120's and thinking of going back tot he KBS Tour 120's or possibly even the KBS Tour Lites.

• Like 1

I'd recommend also trying the 923 Forged. I went with HMP's earlier in the year then switched into the 923F at the beginning of the summer due to some gapping problems at the lower end of the bag.

PW was going 140 and I didn't want to carry 4 wedges. 

Gave the ZX5 mkii's a try, and also the JPX923F's. Ended up going with the 923F as it just felt so smooth for me. Try all three and see what you enjoy most.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 9º Driver Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore+ 6S

Titleist TSR1 4 Hybrid Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85S

Mizuno Pro 245 4-PW Dynamic Gold 105 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50º 12F Dynamic Gold S200

Titleist Vokey SM9 56º 12D Dynamic Gold S200

TaylorMade Spider Tour X L Neck KBS Tour GPS 120

49 minutes ago, titelist said:

Interested in this thread.  I currently play the 2019 HM Pros and I'm thinking of moving to a  Srixon combo set of 4 & 5's.  I need more height and spin and I'm hearing the Srixons have both.  I'm also playing the Modus Tour 120's and thinking of going back tot he KBS Tour 120's or possibly even the KBS Tour Lites.

I play modus 105 right now but also interested in testing the tour lite or c taper lite  as well. I hit a really high ball already so I would like a lower flight on my irons. 

34 minutes ago, alexc93 said:

I'd recommend also trying the 923 Forged. I went with HMP's earlier in the year then switched into the 923F at the beginning of the summer due to some gapping problems at the lower end of the bag.

Gave the ZX5 mkii's a try, and also the JPX923F's. Ended up going with the 923F as it just felt so smooth for me. Try all three and see what you enjoy most.

I will also give those a try that’s for the recommendation. I’m having the gapping issue now with my current set. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lumberjack627 said:

I play modus 105 right now but also interested in testing the tour lite or c taper lite  as well. I hit a really high ball already so I would like a lower flight on my irons. 

The Tour Lite and C-Taper Lite most likely will not lower your ball flight.  Both are kind of high launching shafts.  Back to my prior post to you, both iron sets did have the same shaft.

• Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5, VA Nemesis 55 four

Ping G430 5-18, VA Vylyn 65 four

Ping G430 4H, 5H, 6H, Alta 70S

Titleist T150, KBS Tour R+, 6-pw

Titleist SM10 Nickel, 48F,54D,& 58D Black Onyx wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom 11L

Pro V 1X or Z-Star XV

I’d give it to the ZX5. I owned the MKii and previously the 923 HMP. I’m a Mizuno fanboy but I think Srixion wins in this iron category as it’s more controlled due to the higher spin. If you need distance the HMP wins. 

Iron History: Macgregor blades -> Tour Model 3 -> 20 year hiatus -> Callaway Rogue (ugh) -> PtxPro -> P790 -> MP4 -> MP32 -> 623CB -> ZX5 mkII -> Cobra Tours

Dr: Titleist TSR3

3W: Ping G430 SFT

7W: Callaway Paradym

4H: Cobra King Tec

5-GW: Titleist T100

W: Edison 2.0

P: Odessey Versa 7

1 hour ago, dalillama47 said:

The Tour Lite and C-Taper Lite most likely will not lower your ball flight.  Both are kind of high launching shafts.  Back to my prior post to you, both iron sets did have the same shaft.

I’m going to make time this week to go in and got both and will update with my findings. I appreciate the feedback I will try to find a better shaft that can take the flight down a bit. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jmccas said:

I’d give it to the ZX5. I owned the MKii and previously the 923 HMP. I’m a Mizuno fanboy but I think Srixion wins in this iron category as it’s more controlled due to the higher spin. If you need distance the HMP wins. 

I love Mizuno as well but have been really looking into the Srixons. I don’t need distance that much but is always helps, saying that i rather have a more controlled iron shot all day then an extra 10 yards an iron. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, alexc93 said:

I’d echo this sentiment, as I feel like the ZX5 comp is likely the 923 Forged, and the HM/HMP is more equivalent to the ZX4, at best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Long time Mizuno iron player, 800 Pro -> 900 Forged. Got fit this year and hit both the 923 HMP and the ZX5.  The 923 HMP felt a bit softer than the ZX5s. But the stronger lofts on the 923 HMP were a bit too hot for me. With those lofts I end up hitting 4-6 iron 200 yards. I realize that is my issue as a 11 HC, but I preferred the look and lofts of the ZX5s. That said, after receiving them, playing some golf, I have moved into a combo set of ZX7's and ZX5s. Don't overlook this combo set. They look very similar and its hard to tell them apart. The ZX7's have a lot of forgiveness, feel absolutely amazing, and combo nicely with the 5's. I feel like I have the best of all worlds. Tremendous feel in the short irons, good performance through the middle of the bag and absolute great performance in the long irons with the ZX5s. 

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

7 minutes ago, XHoop24 said:

Long time Mizuno iron player, 800 Pro -> 900 Forged. Got fit this year and hit both the 923 HMP and the ZX5.  The 923 HMP felt a bit softer than the ZX5s. But the stronger lofts on the 923 HMP were a bit too hot for me. With those lofts I end up hitting 4-6 iron 200 yards. I realize that is my issue as a 11 HC, but I preferred the look and lofts of the ZX5s. That said, after receiving them, playing some golf, I have moved into a combo set of ZX7's and ZX5s. Don't overlook this combo set. They look very similar and its hard to tell them apart. The ZX7's have a lot of forgiveness, feel absolutely amazing, and combo nicely with the 5's. I feel like I have the best of all worlds. Tremendous feel in the short irons, good performance through the middle of the bag and absolute great performance in the long irons with the ZX5s. 

Thank you for this I have a Combo sent always with my mb/hmb right now and I have a bit gapping issue from my 7 iron being a hmb then my 8-p being mb. I will give the combo set a try just really need to hope for me the gapping is not the problem. 

1 hour ago, Lumberjack627 said:

Thank you for this I have a Combo sent always with my mb/hmb right now and I have a bit gapping issue from my 7 iron being a hmb then my 8-p being mb. I will give the combo set a try just really need to hope for me the gapping is not the problem. 

Completely fair. I have 4-GW in ZX5's and 6-GW in ZX7's.  I'm starting with 4,5 in the ZX5's and then 6-GW in the 7's. My fitter and I did a gapping session with the combo set and we didn't need to make any changes. If that is an option, it could be fairly easy to fine tune the lofts/gapping. But I totally understand that isn't an option for all. 

As a big Mizuno fan, I've been incredibly impressed by the Srixon range. I know they've been producing great clubs for a long time, going back to the X45 range, but if you like the look, you can really dial in a great set with performance (ZX5) and feel (ZX7).  As an FYI, I find the current ZX7 range to be similar in forgiveness to the 800 Pros I used to play. 

• Thanks 1

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

I bought a set of the regular 923 HMs earlier this year. It all started when I used the Mizuno Shaft Optizer at the PGA Tour superstore. He asked what I hit. I told him ZX5s  and then had me take the 3 test swings for the MSO with the HM Pro.  I got excited and bought a set. But went with the HMs as they didn't see 'too much' bigger and the HM Pros were smaller than the set of OG ZX5s.  The numbers in the store were fantastic.  

I never got along with them. They didn't feel as good, weren't nearly as accurate. I didn't like the size in the larger irons.  I said 'I hate these irons' so much, it became a running joke with my regular group.

I used the Playability guarantee and ordered a set of MKii ZX5s.  From the first shot on the range, I knew I made the right decision. It was a better club (for me) in every way.

I absolutely love Srixon irons. This is my 3rd set.

Edited by mantan

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

My HMP on Steelfiber 95R (private reserve) are up for sale on the BST.  Loved the iron and shaft...they flew long and high.  The 5 iron is great off the tee too.  But I went back to Srixon.  Started on Z745 and just like the look and feel.  Distance isn't quite as long compared to HMP...and the HMP do look great in the bag.  I actually like the shorter irons in the HMP.  To me the soles look just a bit thinner than the ZX5.  Not sure totally for me and I do go back and forth.  They were my top 2 this season for sure.

18 hours ago, alexc93 said:

From what I have seen, the 923 Forged has very little offset, while the ZX5's have a bit more.  Personally, I feel comfortable with a bit of offset.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

1 hour ago, XHoop24 said:

Completely fair. I have 4-GW in ZX5's and 6-GW in ZX7's.  I'm starting with 4,5 in the ZX5's and then 6-GW in the 7's. My fitter and I did a gapping session with the combo set and we didn't need to make any changes. If that is an option, it could be fairly easy to fine tune the lofts/gapping. But I totally understand that isn't an option for all. 

As a big Mizuno fan, I've been incredibly impressed by the Srixon range. I know they've been producing great clubs for a long time, going back to the X45 range, but if you like the look, you can really dial in a great set with performance (ZX5) and feel (ZX7).  As an FYI, I find the current ZX7 range to be similar in forgiveness to the 800 Pros I used to play. 

I’m going to go in with an open mind and if I like the blended set I will do it. If I have to bend 1 degree weak or strong to help gapping I will also do it. For me the mp20 mb are not forgiving like the hmb hence the change I’m making. 

Edited by Lumberjack627

23 minutes ago, gvogel said:

From what I have seen, the 923 Forged has very little offset, while the ZX5's have a bit more.  Personally, I feel comfortable with a bit of offset.

The 923F has identical offset to the 923HMP. Since OP was comparing HMP that's why I had recommended the 923F. 

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, mantan said:

I bought a set of the regular 923 HMs earlier this year. It all started when I used the Mizuno Shaft Optizer at the PGA Tour superstore. He asked what I hit. I told him ZX5s  and then had me take the 3 test swings for the MSO with the HM Pro.  I got excited and bought a set. But went with the HMs as they didn't see 'too much' bigger and the HM Pros were smaller than the set of OG ZX5s.  The numbers in the store were fantastic.  

I never got along with them. They didn't feel as good, weren't nearly as accurate. I didn't like the size in the larger irons.  I said 'I hate these irons' so much, it became a running joke with my regular group.

I used the Playability guarantee and ordered a set of MKii ZX5s.  From the first shot on the range, I knew I made the right decision. It was a better club (for me) in every way.

I absolutely love Srixon irons. This is my 3rd set.

Sounds similar to me when I got my mizuno but I like them not love them though. I want to love my irons and feel confident and happy with every shot I take. Unfortunately I did not order from a big box retailer and don’t have the playability like you did so I would have to order and sell which who knows if anyone will

even want them. I can also do a trade in but will take a bigger hit in the wallet. I’m happy your found the perfect set for you sounds like you will be keeping them for some time. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, jt2gt said:

My HMP on Steelfiber 95R (private reserve) are up for sale on the BST.  Loved the iron and shaft...they flew long and high.  The 5 iron is great off the tee too.  But I went back to Srixon.  Started on Z745 and just like the look and feel.  Distance isn't quite as long compared to HMP...and the HMP do look great in the bag.  I actually like the shorter irons in the HMP.  To me the soles look just a bit thinner than the ZX5.  Not sure totally for me and I do go back and forth.  They were my top 2 this season for sure.

Im in a good place with choosing either or. Just need to make time to go and I will make the decision. I love the look of the hmp but I also love the Srixon. I hope someone will take them off your hands soon on BST.  

5 minutes ago, alexc93 said:

The 923F has identical offset to the 923HMP. Since OP was comparing HMP that's why I had recommended the 923F. 

I think that the 923F is a very good option; the HMP lofts are very strong.  Maybe some can play those lofts, but I think that most should be content with a little less distance from their irons and better landing angles and spin.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

1 minute ago, gvogel said:

I think that the 923F is a very good option; the HMP lofts are very strong.  Maybe some can play those lofts, but I think that most should be content with a little less distance from their irons and better landing angles and spin.

+1 and the exact reason I switched out my HMP's for the 923F. I was willing to sacrifice 10-15 yards per club for more accuracy, and better gapping at the bottom end of my bag. I'm still figuring out the top of my bag but think i've started to get that squared away now too.

• Like 2

I'm understanding why people are talking about with the gapping issue as really I can deal with it. I played the ZX5's before nice clubs did start to build up a little rust spot behind the badge as I clean my clubs after every round.  I really like my HMP's better but I didn't have the MKII ZX5's so I'm not sure as to how much better they are. OP seem to like the older version of the ZX5's better than the newer ones? Both brands are very nice as I see them more of a Player's Distance iron as I'm getting at the age where I'm looking for more forgiveness and something easier to hit when my swing is off. Ordered some Titleist T-350's as they should arrived in about 2-3 weeks so I'm now going for Game Improvement irons as I knew eventually it would come to this so a new chapter retirement age will pretty much begin soon

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

3 hours ago, alexc93 said:

+1 and the exact reason I switched out my HMP's for the 923F. I was willing to sacrifice 10-15 yards per club for more accuracy, and better gapping at the bottom end of my bag. I'm still figuring out the top of my bag but think i've started to get that squared away now too.

I think I mentioned this is the JPX 923 thread but I had my 923 HMP 7-PW lofts weakened to match the 923 Forged.  Definitely took a few yards off and got me to the yardages I wanted plus added some much needed spin and stopping power on the greens.  Much better gapping now from PW to the 48 deg HM gap wedge.  Added bonus is that the offset reduces nicely.

• Like 1

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

On 7/26/2023 at 8:24 AM, XHoop24 said:

Have you considered adding 2*  of loft to each iron? It certainly helps with spin.

Edited by pmang

Callaway AI Smoke Max 10.5* Diamana GT 6S
Callaway AI Smoke Max 5W Tensei Blue 65 S

Ping G430 4H RDX Red 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-GW Modus 105S (bent 2* weak)
Cleveland RTX6 54* & 58*
TM Spider X HB 34”