2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Titleist CB’s. What year is the best?

miles2go

Probably been asked and answered in the annals of golfwrx, but thinking about picking up some CB’s. Seems like they are simply great clubs with consistent performance and feel. Never owned a set. Just wondering if anyone has a particular year preference or if they are all comparable for the average single digit player.  I have no problem with older models. 
Thanks. 

No idea which are best but I have played both the 712s and the 716s. Prefer the 716s, but really liked both of them. 

The 716s and 718s have tungsten in the perimeter in 3-7 which they got rid of in the 620, so if you’d prefer a little more extra perimeter weight in the long irons go with the 716 or 718.

On a side note, I currently play a combo Cleveland 588 cb/mb set…the 588 CB is very similar to the Titleist CB in terms of shape and size…but the 588 cb is hands down the best feeling iron I’ve ever hit.  

• Like 3

D - Mizuno ST200G, Tour AD-XC

3W - TSi2, Tour AD-HD

2i - Mizuno MP-H5

4-P - Cleveland 588 MB - KBS Tour

50,54,60 - Vokey SM9 - KBS 610

P - TP Mills Custom Ming

2 hours ago, R5Two said:

620s are on fire right now but my personal favorite was the 695s 

Oooooohh!!!  Good call on the 695s!  They were really good!  I had some with the old RP Rifle 6.0s that were among my favorites. 

I’m still partial to the 620s, which gave me outstanding feel and turf interaction. Also liked the 714s. They are all nice, but those three stood out to me. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, miles2go said:

Probably been asked and answered in the annals of golfwrx, but thinking about picking up some CB’s. Seems like they are simply great clubs with consistent performance and feel. Never owned a set. Just wondering if anyone has a particular year preference or if they are all comparable for the average single digit player.  I have no problem with older models. 
Thanks. 

Interesting question!

I highlighted "consistent performance and feel" because I think that's what the CB is supposed to do. It masks a lot of the possible resonance of the MB (which makes the CB feel more consistent shot-to-shot) but it's still a performance-oriented club. 

If you're thinking you need more forgiveness than the MB, you need to be looking T-series. The CB is always going to be an MB for someone who wants a bit more consistency in the flight and feel compared to what the MB provides. Zalatoris talked about the CB bringing his ball-flight down slightly compared with the MB, which spun fractionally more. No one's playing the CB for "forgiveness." That should be stated up front. 

So if you're asking which CB feels most consistent I would say the newest ones are great. No reason to go way back. I had the 716s which were more stable than the years immediately preceding them (710, 712, 714). The 716 had a small tungsten weight and a fairly large amount of perimeter weighting to dull the vibration and add that consistency in feel. The 716 had a much more rounded sole, too. But honestly, I never loved the 716. It was pretty ho-hum. 

IMHO, the new stuff is as good as anything they've done and probably a step up from the 700-series. So really, I'd say buy the newest you can afford. Even if you wanted an older set, good luck finding one in okay shape. Probably best to pony up for the newer stuff if you know that's what you want. 

All the above being said, I think you're crazy if you're letting feel alone make your decision. Stuff like the T100 is just too good to pass up and plenty of other OEMs (like Srixon!) are making what (IMHO) are better CB derivatives these days.

But hey, you asked about the Titleist CB! 🙂

Edited by MelloYello
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

Definitely 716’s 

PING G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Velocore Blue 6S

Titleist TSR2 15 Ventus 2024 Velocore Plus Blue 6S

Titleist TSi2 18 Ventus Velocore Red 7S

Titleist TSR2 5 (24) hybrid Tou Ad DI-85S

PING Blueprint S 5-7 DG S200

PING Blueprint T 8-W DG S200

Vokey SM10 Raw all DG S200 50-12F, 54-14F, 58-08M

PING Custom PLD Anser X stainless/Oyster

3 hours ago, MelloYello said:

Interesting question!

I highlighted "consistent performance and feel" because I think that's what the CB is supposed to do. It masks a lot of the possible resonance of the MB (which makes the CB feel more consistent shot-to-shot) but it's still a performance-oriented club. 

If you're thinking you need more forgiveness than the MB, you need to be looking T-series. The CB is always going to be an MB for someone who wants a bit more consistency in the flight and feel compared to what the MB provides. Zalatoris talked about the CB bringing his ball-flight down slightly compared with the MB, which spun fractionally more. No one's playing the CB for "forgiveness." That should be stated up front. 

So if you're asking which CB feels most consistent I would say the newest ones are great. No reason to go way back. I had the 716s which were more stable than the years immediately preceding them (710, 712, 714). The 716 had a small tungsten weight and a fairly large amount of perimeter weighting to dull the vibration and add that consistency in feel. The 716 had a much more rounded sole, too. But honestly, I never loved the 716. It was pretty ho-hum. 

IMHO, the new stuff is as good as anything they've done and probably a step up from the 700-series. So really, I'd say buy the newest you can afford. Even if you wanted an older set, good luck finding one is okay shape. Probably best to pony up for the newer stuff if you know that's what you want. 

All the above being said, I think you're crazy if you're letting feel alone make your decision. Stuff like the T100 is just too good to pass up and plenty of other OEMs (like Srixon!) are making what (IMHO) are better CB derivatives these days.

But hey, you asked about the Titleist CB! 🙂

ive hit the 620mb side by side with the t100 now with the same shaft from the demo matrix.  Cb was better all around for my swing.

I think the t100 leans more toward an 620 mb comparison, with the t100 being a bit larger and having a lower cg to promote launch.

1 hour ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

ive hit the 620mb side by side with the t100 now with the same shaft from the demo matrix.  Cb was better all around for my swing.

I think the t100 leans more toward an 620 mb comparison, with the t100 being a bit larger and having a lower cg to promote launch.

Yeah, I wouldn't buy the CB, personally. If you want pure looks and feel the MB is king and the CB just won't deliver much more performance. The CB is more of a low-spin MB. 

I'd be all over the T100. I think they're plenty small while being shockingly easy to hit and real friendly. My Srixon Z-forged "blades" are larger than the T100. The idea that Titleist makes anything smaller than the T100 is crazy to me. 

The era of feel as king is dead IMHO. People should be buying irons on performance and I don't know anyone this side of the PGA Tour that wants lower spin with limited forgiveness in their irons. Seems like the worst combo for me. 

Edited by MelloYello

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

All great info. Seems like since the T series was released , the prior CB’s have become more reasonably priced on the secondary market. Price is important as it would be an experiment for me.  Makes me think there may be something special about the T100’s though. Might have to go hit them.  Tried the T200’s and they were great but pretty happy with my current iron’s which are similar.  Just looking for a cheap sports car to take for a spin once in awhile. 

10 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

Yeah, I wouldn't buy the CB, personally. If you want pure looks and feel the MB is king and the CB just won't deliver much more performance. The CB is more of a low-spin MB. 

I'd be all over the T100. I think they're plenty small while being shockingly easy to hit and real friendly. My Srixon Z-forged "blades" are larger than the T100. The idea that Titleist makes anything smaller than the T100 is crazy to me. 

The era of feel as king is dead IMHO. People should be buying irons on performance and I don't know anyone this side of the PGA Tour that wants lower spin with limited forgiveness in their irons. Seems like the worst combo for me. 

I didn’t see the extra foregivness from the t100.  They feel similar enough that’s it’s a wash.  So agree with you on feel, disagree on performance.

I will also add this is my experience with my swing dynamics.  Different strokes for different folks.

Edited by Pnwpingi210

18 hours ago, Pnwpingi210 said:

I didn’t see the extra foregivness from the t100.  They feel similar enough that’s it’s a wash.  So agree with you on feel, disagree on performance.

I will also add this is my experience with my swing dynamics.  Different strokes for different folks.

Forgiveness is over-rated in small-headed irons so I kind of agree. "Forgiveness" isn't why you would buy the CB or the T100. 

However, I do think the T100 launches noticeably higher. The CB being a "low-spin MB" is definitely the lowest-flighted of the trio of TItleist's Tour irons. 

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)

SM10 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Odyssey OG 2-Ball

2 minutes ago, MelloYello said:

Forgiveness is over-rated in small-headed irons so I kind of agree. "Forgiveness" isn't why you would buy the CB or the T100. 

However, I do think the T100 launches noticeably higher. The CB being a "low-spin MB" is definitely the lowest-flighted of the trio of TItleist's Tour irons. 

That makes sense.  I deliver plenty of dynamic loft which is why I have no problems hitting it high or adding spin if I want.  

I grew up playing 962b’s, which is still one of the goat’s in my mind.  However, in more recent releases, 716’s were outstanding!  The 620’s are pretty sweet in their own right.  Beautiful profile!

• Like 1

Searching…

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x 

Srixon   ZxU mkii 4i   Modus Ghost Stiff 

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Vokey   Sm8 50, Sm10 54s bent to 55, Sm10 60s all custom ground 

Bettinardi  Custom BB46

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

690.CB was a great iron.  I really liked the 695 CB's as well - those had strong lofts for their time (PW was 46*) - they looked great as well.

Edited by dwboston
  • Like 1

Titleist TSR2 11*, Oban Devotion 65 S

Titleist TSR2 16.5*, GD Tour AD BB 7S

Titleist TSR2 21*, Fujikura Speeder Pro TS 84

Titleist TS2 25*, GD Tour AD HY 95S
Titleist T100S, 6-GW, Recoil 110 F4

Miura 52.06, 56.10, 60.09, Recoil Proto 125 F4

Ping PLD Custom Anser 4, 34"/355g

• 2 weeks later...

I am a 716 guy.  Had a long stint with those and played some good golf with them. 

The 620 are definitely on my radar though, they look fantastic and feel 1000 times better than the T100 IMO.  I just don't see the hype around the T100, I know Titleist wants it to be the flagship iron, but there are so many player CBs out there that top it.  With the forgiveness not being there, there's almost no reason anyone should play them over the T100.  Yes, I said it.  620 even have the pre-worn leading edge which is a really nice touch in any club.  T100s or 150 I can see a spot for, but no need for the T100 when Titleist has always developed a top notch CB.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR2 10* GD UB 6s

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 3H  Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Srixon ZX7 mkii 4-7, Z-Forged ii 8-P KBS CTL 110

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Scotty Cameron NP2 Studio Stainless 34"