2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

High Swing Speed Ball Choice

BigDawgWill44

I have a fairly high swing speed I think (driver avg is 118 mph). Does that speed dictate what ball I should be using? I was told I need to use “X” versions of balls because of the club speed. I would think any premium ball would be fine like a TP5 vs TP5X or ProV1 vs Prov1x. Which of those two I like the softer TP5/Prov1 better. Just thought I’d ask. 

Choose your ball based first on your short game needs (spin, feel, flight). 

You definitely can use any of the premium models, provided it fits your required flight parameters. Loads of high speed people use the regular boring Pro v1 as it mitigates a high spinny miss as an example.

Edited by rt_charger

Im 118 with driver as well and I rotate between left dash, Vice Pro Plus and Z-star XV atm.  I like a firmer ball and that doesn't spin too much hence my choices.  With that being said, I'm a high launch/spin player.  You should play whatever ball gives you the spin numbers you want.  Feel should be secondary, IMO. 

• Like 2

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I swing around 115-120 depending on the day, and my faves are the Vice Pro Plus and Snell MTB-X (discontinued)

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

If you want maximum distance off the tee, a good ball to check out is the Titleist AVX (or get fancy and play the Left Dash Titliest). I don't swing as fast as OP (I am 108-110) and I find that I can hit the AVX SIGNIFICANTLY farther due to its lower spin. I don't game the AVX because I don't like the short game feel but if I was switching balls every shot I would definitely play the AVX off the tee. Definitely worth a try for the long hitters since too much driver spin is a typical issue with faster swingers. 

For what is worth I tried a lot of different balls for a while because I didn't want to be boring and play the ProV1. Not sure why I felt so impassioned about that but...after 6 months of tinkering....I am back in a ProV1 and playing my best golf. 

Edited by vandyfan

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

I'm in the 115-120 right now as well, I seem to rotate a few different balls for various reasons, what I use is: 

Primary

Callaway CSX

Bridgestone Tour B X

Srixon Diamond

Secondary

Callaway CSX-LS

Srixon Z-Star XV

There are plenty other balls that I could use but don't fit my game as impact dynamics play a huge role outside of swing speed. Like the ProV line could easily work for me I just don't quite like their qualities/specifics on each model. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

120 + here

been playing the maxfli tour x a lot and am happy with it. Came from the Bridgestone xs ball and immediately saw a big jump in distance off the tee. 
the other ball that really has my interest is the Wilson staff model. Might offer a touch more spin around the greens than the maxfli which appeals to me. 
You need higher compression and luckily they are starting to release balls that spin more or less at high compression. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Straphael said:

120 + here

been playing the maxfli tour x a lot and am happy with it. Came from the Bridgestone xs ball and immediately saw a big jump in distance off the tee. 
the other ball that really has my interest is the Wilson staff model. Might offer a touch more spin around the greens than the maxfli which appeals to me. 
You need higher compression and luckily they are starting to release balls that spin more or less at high compression. 

one of my greatest days off the tee was with the Maxfli tour x. I was playing with my stepson, a big hitter who is 300 plus yards, and we matched up with a twosome around his age, and they both played high school baseball like him. 2 ProV1 players and a Chromesoft X LS player. I was consistently 15 yards further than all of them, and on one hole, I blasted a bomb a good 40 yards further than all of them. It's funny, I made such an impression that day that when I run into those two guys they always come over and say hi, and call me the bomber. I need to try the '23 version in yellow when I get low. 

Driver: PING G425 LST/Callaway Epic Speed LS
3 wood: Taylormade mini 300
2 Hybrid Callaway Maverick

4 Hybrid Taylormade Superfast

5-UW: Ping i210
Maltby TSW sand wedge

Odyssey OG 2 Ball stroke lab
Titleist ProV1 left dash/Snell MTB-X/Vice Pro Plus

Have been playing around with options myself - I average 113 SS and like others in this thread, am a high launch/high spin player by nature. I really like the Bridgestone BX, Cally CSX and LS, and Vice PP but prefer to walk in and buy from a shop (Vice don't retail in Aus as far as I know?). 

Ultimately I've stuck with Left Dash. Long, straight, and I've found it easy to work around the greens in sacrificing a little spin. Perhaps bunker shots are the most "exposed" element of my game in this regard now, but with tighter dispersion across the board I'm not seeing too much sand which is always a bonus! Obviously the top of the price range, but you get what you pay for IMO.

21 hours ago, vandyfan said:

If you want maximum distance off the tee, a good ball to check out is the Titleist AVX (or get fancy and play the Left Dash Titliest). I don't swing as fast as OP (I am 108-110) and I find that I can hit the AVX SIGNIFICANTLY farther due to its lower spin. I don't game the AVX because I don't like the short game feel but if I was switching balls every shot I would definitely play the AVX off the tee. Definitely worth a try for the long hitters since too much driver spin is a typical issue with faster swingers. 

For what is worth I tried a lot of different balls for a while because I didn't want to be boring and play the ProV1. Not sure why I felt so impassioned about that but...after 6 months of tinkering....I am back in a ProV1 and playing my best golf. 

I can just about get it up to 110 mph on a good day, and I've seen similar results to you with the Left Dash - however the other ball I've found which gets almighty close is the Tour Speed, believe it or not. In my experience it is quite similar to the AVX with the long game, just flies a little higher, but actually has useable spin round the greens.

Currently using the standard Pro V1x for iron spin, however I do suspect I'm giving up a couple of yards on the Tour Speed off the tee.

• Like 1

The Dee Three - Titleist TS4 9.5 deg, EvenFlow White 6.5 65g, A1 Setting

Henrik - Titleist 917 F3 15 deg, Rogue Max 75x, B2 Setting

The Walking Stick - Titleist 818 H2 19 deg, Rogue Max 85x, B2 Setting

The Interloper - TaylorMade P770 3 iron, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5inch +1 deg loft

The Blades - Nike VR Pro 4 - AW, S400 Tour Issue, +0.5 inch

The Sand Iron - TaylorMade MG2 TW-12 Grind, 56 degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Flopper - TaylorMade MG2 TW-11 Grind, 60 Degree, S400 Tour Issue

The Putter - Nike Method 003 from The Oven

"Golf is only called golf as all the other four letter words have been taken"     - Leslie Nielsen

I know Drew is a bit on the slow side compared to most WRXers but a good comparison in terms of soft is slow.

Really there is minimum differences in terms of driver performance for most true tour balls. Balls like the regular chromesoft, AVX, tour repsonse, Q star tour or the bridgestone RX will be shorter at the higher speed.

Ping 430 LST 9* set to 7.5*  ventus TR blue 6x

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎3+ Kai'li 70x

Ping g425 max 7 wood set to 19* w Ventus TR blue 8X

Srixon ZX utility 23* Ventus Black 9tx

Srixon ZX-7 5-AW, Project X 6.5 LZ

Cleveland RTX mid bounce 56 and 60 DG S400

Odyssey metal x milled 2-ball mid, 

Srixon Z-Star 💎

• 3 months later...
On 8/14/2023 at 12:22 AM, BigDawgWill44 said:

I have a fairly high swing speed I think (driver avg is 118 mph). Does that speed dictate what ball I should be using? I was told I need to use “X” versions of balls because of the club speed. I would think any premium ball would be fine like a TP5 vs TP5X or ProV1 vs Prov1x. Which of those two I like the softer TP5/Prov1 better. Just thought I’d ask. 

130+ if I go after one on course like 135. I use Srixon Z Star XV tried every other major brand and always see myself going back to these. Havent tried left dash but id like to I heard its very similar to Z star XV so maybe ill save my money.

Titleist TSR4 9* The Players Limited Edition Black/Gold Fujikura Ventus Black 7X / Taylormade SIM 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757 IV TX Tipped 0.5" / Krank Formula Fire Pro 9* -1* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

PING G425 2 Hybrid 17* -1.5* GD Tour AD DI 105X Hybrid

Srixon Zx5 Mkii 3 Iron @ 19* DG 120 X100

Srixon Mkii Zx7 4-7 Iron, Srixon Z Forged II 8-PW DG X100 Hardstepped

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 50-54-60 MID DG S400

Putter: YES! Tracy 2 / Yes! Callie i4 Bronze / Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5

Srixon Z-Star XV / Left Dash Pro V1x

Tiktok: @tgrabowske

Social Media: @tgrabowske

3 hours ago, tgrabowske said:

130+ if I go after one on course like 135. I use Srixon Z Star XV tried every other major brand and always see myself going back to these. Havent tried left dash but id like to I heard its very similar to Z star XV so maybe ill save my money.

Left dash launches higher and I'd say spin is a wash.  Unless you need higher launch, the XV gets the job done.  It's very underrated, IMO.  I just wish the cracked seam issue wasn't a thing.  Every single XV I've put in play has suffered this issue unless I lost it before it happened. 

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

17 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Left dash launches higher and I'd say spin is a wash.  Unless you need higher launch, the XV gets the job done.  It's very underrated, IMO.  I just wish the cracked seam issue wasn't a thing.  Every single XV I've put in play has suffered this issue unless I lost it before it happened. 

Same with me! its unfortunate but maybe thats why you save like $8 a dozen lol. Still going to play them idc!

Titleist TSR4 9* The Players Limited Edition Black/Gold Fujikura Ventus Black 7X / Taylormade SIM 9* Fujikura Speeder Evolution 757 IV TX Tipped 0.5" / Krank Formula Fire Pro 9* -1* Fujikura Ventus Black 7X

PING G425 2 Hybrid 17* -1.5* GD Tour AD DI 105X Hybrid

Srixon Zx5 Mkii 3 Iron @ 19* DG 120 X100

Srixon Mkii Zx7 4-7 Iron, Srixon Z Forged II 8-PW DG X100 Hardstepped

Cleveland RTX Zipcore Tour Rack Raw 50-54-60 MID DG S400

Putter: YES! Tracy 2 / Yes! Callie i4 Bronze / Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5

Srixon Z-Star XV / Left Dash Pro V1x

Tiktok: @tgrabowske

Social Media: @tgrabowske