Junior Fitness - Gym ,group?

My son (13 in October) has asked to jump back into a fitness routine this fall, great and thrilled he asked.   He did an in person TPI assessment in the spring followed by at home TPI program early spring with a ton of success - mobility and light strength helped with huge gains.   Doing it at home was a great intro to fitness work as he could do his own pace, but I think he could benefit from some more deliberate strength training....beyond what he can do at home with bands and a few kettle bells......I also think he'll lose interest at home.  At age 13 he can come to our gym (accompanied).   I am thinking of seeing if he wants to tag along a few days a week.    How are your kids this age (or when they were) working on strength - gym, group training?  Unfortunately his middle school doesn't have a weight room and the the closest TPI led golf focused facility is just too far for multi-day/week trips.   

I was going to come on here to ask a similar question. My daughter is 13 and a golfer and basketball player. I'd love to find a simple 30 minute or so routine she could do at home for some light strength training, mobility, etc.

Any one have a suggestion or resource? Of course I could just get her going on some pushups, sit ups, squats, etc, but it would be nice if there is a resource from someone who has already thought about this to pull from.

Edit: I should add we have a few dumbells and things but I would prefer to just do body weight stuff and not a routine with a bunch of equipment.

Edited by Hardrain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hardrain said:

I was going to come on here to ask a similar question. My daughter is 13 and a golfer and basketball player. I'd love to find a simple 30 minute or so routine she could do at home for some light strength training, mobility, etc.

Any one have a suggestion or resource? Of course I could just get her going on some pushups, sit ups, squats, etc, but it would be nice if there is a resource from someone who has already thought about this to pull from.

Edit: I should add we have a few dumbells and things but I would prefer to just do body weight stuff and not a routine with a bunch of equipment.

it’s all here for you. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/kb/recommended_routine/

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

1 hour ago, Hardrain said:

Keep the flexibility and let her be an athlete.

My daughter did dance.  Hip Hop and it was amazing for her core.  She didnt do it for golf, but just that she loved it.  Really helped her.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Hardrain said:

This past late winter/early spring , my son did a TPI assessment followed by a custom prescribed 6 week TPI at home mobility and strength regimen, based on his results. All organized on the TPI app with videos and sets/reps.   Was a prefect intro to golf focused fitness for him.  I posted about it in a different thread. Results were very very good. Strength portion used body weight , as well as some kettle bells and bands we had at home. equal of not bigger gains I believe came from mobility work.  Most Kids can rotate their core on a swivel, but lots have very tight hips/legs.   Started out with stretching 3 days/week and strength 2days/week.  TPI Instructor changed the workouts every two weeks and ended up stretching every day and strength 3 days/week.   

Edited by hangontight

My daughter joined the after school weight lifting group at her school when she was 13, she is 15 now. I would see if one is available at your school, or a class at your gym/Y. Lifting with other kids keeps them accountable to each other. Consistency is far better than a specific program in my mind.

She loves lifting, and is going to try and set a couple of school records (Power clean, and Squat)before she is a Senior. The golf team doesn't have a specific group but during the summer the strength coach has a basketball/volleyball session, and a soccer/track/running session. She plays basketball, so that is her group.

The coach is very specific that if you train in the gym, you have to train your sport skills 2x as much. He also makes them account their sleep/recovery, giving out awards for kids who get the most sleep per week.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Are most of you guys paying for a trainer or has the online resources worked well?  I don't have any type of equipment at home.

My son has been doing private training a few days a week, but it is somewhat expensive so looking at other options.  I'm hoping once he reaches high school that they have some training regiment in place should he play on the golf team.

2 hours ago, kekoa said:

Are most of you guys paying for a trainer or has the online resources worked well?  I don't have any type of equipment at home.

My son has been doing private training a few days a week, but it is somewhat expensive so looking at other options.  I'm hoping once he reaches high school that they have some training regiment in place should he play on the golf team.

My son’s HS team works out with the school strength & conditioning coach 2-3 days per week in the offseason. 

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

20 hours ago, kekoa said:

I paid a trainer for a while. Found a group of golfers that all wanted to work out so got a little break on the price. My boys school hired a full time strength guy (who happens to be TPI certified)so they now both work out at school. 
I used the Mike Carroll fit for golf app personally. You need very little equipment, there are videos to help, biggest concern is making sure kids are using the proper technique if you do it at home. 

23 hours ago, kekoa said:

As Movingday mentioned, technique is very important.  It doesn't take much to hurt a back, shoulder or knee when you're handling weights without good form.  My son did a TPI screening package that included a few 1 on 1 and a few group sessions.  I used that as a kick off for strength training.  As you said, personal training isn't cheap and it's often inconvenient. 

I've built a decent home gym over the years that everyone in my family uses.....weights, bench, TRX suspension and rip trainer, bands, med balls, battle ropes, assault bike, etc.  While all that is great to have, you can get a good workout in without it.  Honestly, you can accomplish a lot with just body weight exercises and hard work.

If I were starting from scratch with my son and strength training, with no equipment, I'd buy the TRX suspension system and supplement that with body weight exercises.  That will cost you >$250, and it provides a good, safe, workout in the convenience of your own home.  You can add the TRX Rip trainer (or one of the Amazon knock-off versions) to it for some additional golf specific movements.

Golf fitness is getting a bit overcomplicated as its growing as a business but the basic fundaments of strength training are pretty basic. A teenager can build a lot of strength with basic exercises, a reasonably good diet and getting plenty of rest and recovery.

• Like 1