Deleted

zacgolf

Very timely video (but would have been even more timely if I had seen it BEFORE this past weekend).

I played on Saturday and Monday. On Saturday, I played like absolutely crud. Couldn't get anything working. In retrospect, I was trying to get the club in a certain place in my backswing all day, chasing a feel that I could never find. It was a mess. It was one of those rounds where I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I went to the range on Sunday to try to work things out before my round Monday. All I did was concentrate on getting the club back and down on-plane from my waist down. I focused only on the 3' behind and through the ball. And in that space, I just focused on getting the club head on the arc and swinging it down through the ball (I otherwise have a tendency to drag the handle and bee-line my hands toward the ball, creating "slack in the line" (to use the waterskier analogy)). I had none of the same internal focus thoughts that I had on Saturday. It simplified everything, and I played great on Monday.

Interesting video.  I have seen a lot of swing the clubhead stuff over the years from the book to Frankel Brothers, Manuel de la Torre, Ron Sisson and a few more.  I have put some effort into swinging that way and every time I start out fairly well and then get worse and worse until I cannot hit the ball at all.  I seem to need a bit more structure to my swing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMeloney said:

Very timely video (but would have been even more timely if I had seen it BEFORE this past weekend).

I played on Saturday and Monday. On Saturday, I played like absolutely crud. Couldn't get anything working. In retrospect, I was trying to get the club in a certain place in my backswing all day, chasing a feel that I could never find. It was a mess. It was one of those rounds where I couldn't wait for it to be over.

I went to the range on Sunday to try to work things out before my round Monday. All I did was concentrate on getting the club back and down on-plane from my waist down. I focused only on the 3' behind and through the ball. And in that space, I just focused on getting the club head on the arc and swinging it down through the ball (I otherwise have a tendency to drag the handle and bee-line my hands toward the ball, creating "slack in the line" (to use the waterskier analogy)). I had none of the same internal focus thoughts that I had on Saturday. It simplified everything, and I played great on Monday.

If I were to place a bet on someone having a terrible round by their standards, if possible I would always pick the player who is trying to position the club in some fashion in their backswing and taking that thought to the golf course. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nels55 said:

Interesting video.  I have seen a lot of swing the clubhead stuff over the years from the book to Frankel Brothers, Manuel de la Torre, Ron Sisson and a few more.  I have put some effort into swinging that way and every time I start out fairly well and then get worse and worse until I cannot hit the ball at all.  I seem to need a bit more structure to my swing.

I'm a handle swinger. The clubhead will follow the handle...always. when I start swinging the clubhead, bad things happen....handle tends to raise through impact.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I'm a handle swinger. The clubhead will follow the handle...always. when I start swinging the clubhead, bad things happen....handle tends to raise through impact.

I definitely agree that if you are a rotational player that also plays a cut, the idea of being handle aware makes more sense. Pivot dragging the handle is the standard operation, ie Lee Trevino.

If the arms swing works more vertical and independent of the pivot, ie Jack Nicklaus, it would make more sense to feel the clubhead swing up and down in front of you as opposed to feeling the handle chasing around your pivot.

• Like 1

WRX Status: FORUM ELDER (certification confirmed)

4 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

I definitely agree that if you are a rotational player that also plays a cut, the idea of being handle aware makes more sense. Pivot dragging the handle is the standard operation, ie Lee Trevino.

If the arms swing works more vertical and independent of the pivot, ie Jack Nicklaus, it would make more sense to feel the clubhead swing up and down in front of you as opposed to feeling the handle chasing around your pivot.

Agree. Coincidentally...when I want to hit a draw, I swing the clubhead.

Just now, virtuoso said:

Do you actually feel like you are throwing the clubhead forward or are you just adding some twist to the handle pull?

Definitely a throw of the clubhead. I feel like I don't pull left as much with the handle while I throw the clubhead into the ball. Oh...and I stay back a touch longer.

3 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Agree. Coincidentally...when I want to hit a draw, I swing the clubhead.

This is me. I moved to a more clubhead releasing, arms driven swing and I draw the ball well now. To hit a fade I go back to my hips open early, handle dragging swing. It works in a pinch but I play the draw swing 9/10 times because contact just feels SO much better (to me). 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red (S)

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue (S)
Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 21.5* - Project X U-Steel 6.0

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW 1*flat  - Axiom 125X

Ben Hogan Equalizer II 54* 1*flat - KBS Tour 120S

Ben Hogan Carnoustie 60* 1*flat  - KBS Tour 120S

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

2 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

Definitely a throw of the clubhead. I feel like I don't pull left as much with the handle while I throw the clubhead into the ball. Oh...and I stay back a touch longer.

Interesting, when you say stay back, does that mean slowing down the pivot to let the clubhead pass?

On 9/6/2023 at 11:54 AM, virtuoso said:

Interesting, when you say stay back, does that mean slowing down the pivot to let the clubhead pass?

It's more of a keep the head from moving toward target at all...that seems to keep everything from moving laterally. I do have a slight sense of keeping my lead shoulder from opening too quickly in transition too. Works really well if I'm lead side early. If I stay on my trail side then I easily hit a nice little push fade double cross.

On 9/6/2023 at 11:54 AM, virtuoso said:

I guess another way to describe it would be to get secondary tilt as early as possible...

Secondary tilt being tilt away from the target...that's what I've always understood it to be.

5 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

It's more of a keep the head from moving toward target at all...that seems to keep everything from moving laterally. I do have a slight sense of keeping my lead shoulder from opening too quickly in transition too. Works really well if I'm lead side early. If I stay on my trail side then I easily hit a nice little push fade double cross.

Ah, gotcha.

1 minute ago, getitdaily said:

I guess another way to describe it would be to get secondary tilt as early as possible...

Secondary tilt being tilt away from the target...that's what I've always understood it to be.

Yep, that's what it means. I would just make sure that you are doing other things in your swing to make 2nd tilt happen more easily with out pushing weight back toward your trail leg.

6 minutes ago, virtuoso said:

Yep, that's what it means. I would just make sure that you are doing other things in your swing to make 2nd tilt happen more easily with out pushing weight back toward your trail leg.

I've been so heavily lateral for all but about the last 2.5 years that pushing back on my trail leg isn't an issue...lol. I actually used super early lead side to super early 2ndry tilt to nearly eliminate my downswing lateral slide in the last 8 months or so. Thus what you saw in my face on...nearly no lateral. I'm stack and tiltish on setup and backswing.

I was a drawer for 25 years. Fader the last 6ish. So the draw swing is still very familiar. 

Edited by getitdaily

7 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

I've been so heavily lateral for all but about the last 2.5 years that pushing back on my trail leg isn't an issue...lol. I actually used super early lead side to super early 2ndry tilt to nearly eliminate my downswing lateral slide in the last 8 months or so. Thus what you saw in my face on...nearly no lateral. I'm stack and tiltish on setup and backswing.

I was a drawer for 25 years. Fader the last 6ish. So the draw swing is still very familiar. 

Excellent, carry on.

2 hours ago, getitdaily said:

Swing the handle:

Swing-the-Handle_DVD-picture.JPG.92c3a296bb283de50c1856daccec3fe0.JPG

5 DVDs, I think that there might be a book around here somewhere also.  Did not resonate with me for whatever reason...

On 9/6/2023 at 10:42 AM, MPStrat said:

If I were to place a bet on someone having a terrible round by their standards, if possible I would always pick the player who is trying to position the club in some fashion in their backswing and taking that thought to the golf course. 

You and me both.

On 9/6/2023 at 11:05 AM, getitdaily said:

I suppose I am, too. When I feel in transition that I've caught the weight of the club in my bent-back right hand at the top, I keep that pressure in my hand against the grip, use the pressure to push the clubhead out on and down the arc, and run it hard into the ball.

• zacgolf changed the title to Deleted
1 hour ago, getitdaily said:

Is it just me or does merrins look like a 70 year old brandel chamblee?

He was my college golf coach.

• Like 2

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

32 minutes ago, getitdaily said:

So you subscribe to the swing the handle philosophy? 

No

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

On 9/6/2023 at 4:52 PM, MonteScheinblum said:

No

i have subscribed to a few of your video series and they have helped me put a decent swing together but it wasn't consistent at all.  And I watch them over and over; I keep coming back to them.  But I did notice that my best swings (based on your advice/technique - mostly the efficient swing) are when I relaxed my upper body.  Shoulders, arms, hands.  Then I watched the youtube vid posted in this thread it struck a chord for me because of my occasional experiences when I did focus on a more tension free swing.  I believe I was focused so much on trying all of the efficient swing thoughts it was causing tension.  I'd see some pretty wicked ball spins that I'm sure was tension related.  Long story short.  My version of your efficient swing is now so ingrained I just needed to find a way to relax the upper body and now I'm striking the ball better, straighter and more consistently and I can stop with the swing thought too.

Edited by bmckenney