2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Differences in the Ping LST models over the last few years

gentles

Looking for insight about the last 3-4 generations of Ping LST drivers. Currently a G400 max player looking to take a little spin off, but keeping as much forgiveness as possible. G410 LST has the moveable weight and can be had the cheapest, so looking for any inputs from players who have used all about where they saw the biggest changes in the 425 and 430 models. 

I have played G410 LST, briefly had G425 LST and currently game the G430 LST. I found the progression from the 410 to 430 similar and an easy change to make. I didn’t rate the 425 LST, I felt it was a completely different driver vs the 410 LST, I would even describe it as a G400 Max LST. Hope this helps

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5°(playing 9°) Tour 65x

Ping G430 Max 15°(playing 14°) UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F5T

Ping G425 Max 20.5°(playing 19°) UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 9F5T

Ping i230 4 iron (Power Spec) LA Golf Tour AXS Blue 105x

Ping i230 5&6 iron (Power Spec) PX LS 6.5

Ping i59 7-PW (Power Spec) PX LS 6.5

Ping Glide Forged Pro 50° PX LS 6.5

Mizuno T22 54°&58° MMT Wedge 105TX

Nordberg Eirik Flowneck

I played the G410 LST for the past couple of years and picked up a G430 LST head three weeks ago...  The G430 LST has a more solid feel/sound and I am definitely getting better dispersion with the G430 LST.  On a solid strike there is no difference between the two regarding distance.  The G430 LST just feels SO much better compared to the G410 LST.  I can still feel where the I made contact on the clubface with the G430 LST it's just more solid feeling...  Both heads are 9 degree loft.  My G410 LST plays at 44.5", D3 SW, 6.0 HZRDUS RDX black shaft, 315 grams total weight.  My G430 LST plays at 44.25", D3 SW, 6.0 HZRDUS RDX black shaft, 314 grams total weight...  I ordered a lighter weight for the G430 LST and was going to play it at 44.5" but decided to give it a try with the shorter shaft.  I have been hitting the G430 LST so well at 44.25" I haven't taken the time to try it at 44.5"...

• Like 1

and my recommendation for the best beer budget option? if you could find a low mileage G LS Tec that would be far and away my vote. after all these years I still haven't seen any evidence that's led me to replace mine... and I'm slightly familiar with all PING's offerings.

20230326_153555.jpg.249258015d9327465164f3e525bc56f7.jpg20231003_094312.jpg.02785804de9bafe6447dc0546d5f22ec.jpg

(EDIT: I will admit however that in more recent times I have updated the shaft choice to the ubiquitous Fujikura Ventus VeloCore)

Edited by Kenny Lee Puckett
  • Like 4

I know it's older than 4 years, but the Ping G LS Tec with the right shaft is plenty long and crazy forgiving. It looks like it's 500cc at address.

I tried a 425 LST and thought it was twice as hard to hit. To be fair, with my slow SS, even the 10.5 wouldn't spin enough, and I hit it sideways.

• Like 1

Taylormade OG Stealth 10.5º (Ventus Red R)

Taylormade 17' M1 HL3 17º (Kuro Kage 70 S)

Titleist 910H 21º and 24º (Stock Diamana Kai'li R)

Srixon 745 5-PW (TT DG Lite S300)

Titleist Vokey SM4 50.08F, 54.14F, 58.09S

Titleist SC PP Del Mar 3.5 or Odyssey WHP #7

Royal M Taper 360's

If you're coming from a G400 Max just be careful buying the G430 LST sight unseen. For me it was way too low spin. I had trouble hitting it even at 107-108 SS. I was like 2000rpm area. 

The G430 was great for me. 

Just be mindful of your SS and current spin numbers because the new LST is no joke

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Srixon ZX 19h w/PX hzrdus Red 80

Mizuno MP241 4-PW w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Mizuno MP24 52 w/KBS Ctaper LITE

Cleveland RTX6 60/10--Spinner

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Each model has knocked spin off slightly(too much on 430 imo) and changed flight characteristics - toe hit improves with each model as well. 

If you play center of clubface - it's going to become you're desired flight IMO . As Kenny said a G30/G  LST fitted correctly = tuff to beatt613obost4cb1.gif.310e01523ba3ea45b85b7b1972e4a4cb.gif

• Like 2

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

17 hours ago, gentles said:

Looking for insight about the last 3-4 generations of Ping LST drivers. Currently a G400 max player looking to take a little spin off, but keeping as much forgiveness as possible. G410 LST has the moveable weight and can be had the cheapest, so looking for any inputs from players who have used all about where they saw the biggest changes in the 425 and 430 models. 

Now, I swung by here the other day and didn't actual answer your  question. The G425 is IMO the most desirable choice if you want a G driver from recent times without going up to the G430. Given a choice I would absolutely prefer it over a G410. The tungsten weight in the back of a G425 is massive and makes the head incredibly forgiving. And remember, your G400 "Max" is a relatively high spin driver, at any loft. You maybe, maybe, might already see a drop in rpms off the face in just the G425 Max without having to go for the "LST" optioned head. I hope you have a place near by to demonstrate them, go hit both. Roughly it should be the highest ball speed + higher launch w/lowest spin is he winner (with a confirmation of good accuracy).  👍

• Like 2

Thanks all great insights

i could have been clearer in my op, I’m looking for the best combo of lower spin off the middle while retaining spin on the toe miss. I’ve tinkered with other drivers and they are more optimal out of the middle but I struggle with the dive bomb hook out the toe. Ping seems to retain forgiveness better than anyone out the toe area, just wondering how that will translate across from a max head to an LST head 

food for thought! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gentles said:

i could have been clearer in my op, I’m looking for the best combo of lower spin off the middle while retaining spin on the toe miss. I’ve tinkered with other drivers and they are more optimal out of the middle but I struggle with the dive bomb hook out the toe. Ping seems to retain forgiveness better than anyone out the toe area, just wondering how that will translate across from a max head to an LST head 

food for thought! 

You kind of have to blend together your center strike with your common miss and find something that works well in both scenarios. It might just be the case that living with a little more spin on your center strikes is an appropriate trade off to keep your toe misses airborne and in play. 

For example, my common miss is the high spinny one out to the right, so you and I essentially have opposite problems we're trying to manage. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, gentles said:

food for thought! 

Ok, now we've pivoted, we are getting specific about you,  and not just feedback about a driver model or two.

So, there is more info needed. Curious, what loft is the old G400 Max, probably 10.5*, or is it actually 9*? And when hit perfect out of the center do you typically play for/achieve a draw with it??

Without my knowing anything yet by logic if you hit "dive bomb hooks" your swing mechanics have the club head moving on a path from in to out (therefore if you clank it off the toes it's becomes quite a bad hook), you're a draw player. And if all that is accurate, center or more toe strike not withstanding, how could you possibly have concern about elevated spin numbers?!? A draw or a bad hook is always a low spin shot profile. FWIW RacineBoxer above describes a problem that is always an issue for a fade player, elevated spin. Also, if you report back the driver is 10.5* loft, remember, it will never be inordinately low spin. About 3,000 rpm is going to be the floor for most guys for that loft head (and again, typically only for guy that have incredibly good ball flight, 3500+ is usually much more common). Only if you consistently hit beautiful baby draws with a 10.5* will it possibly dip down further, usually only ever low as 2,500. So if that is your loft preference, be realistic about how "low" your spin will ever get with a 10.5* head. Anyway, I'm rambling here, give us some additional info about your desired ball flight, about the current driver, etc.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sub_Roc said:

I still can hit my G LS Tec with the Tour 85s shaft as good as my newer drivers.   Easy to hit and long.   If I had to upgrade, it would be a G430 LST with a Ventus Blue 6s.

My exact build, I would recommend. 🙂

• Like 2

Ping G425 Max, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 33.5"

Z-Star Diamond 

I don't switch clubs a lot and have played the 425 LST for almost 3 years but switched to the G430 and am hitting it 25 yards further. Some distance gain is the club, some is working on my swing, and some was going to the Ping factory where they matched me with the Callaway Chrome Soft LS. Used to hit 1-3 drivers in bad places per round, now only doing it once every 3 rounds.

• Like 1

Something Ping mentioned as the reason Hovland stays in the 425 LST vs. the 430 LST is that the 430 sits more open than the 425. 

• Like 1

Full Bag / Short set                                                         

- Taylormade Sim

5W (17.5), 7W (20.5), 9W (23.5) - Ping G425 Max

5H - Ping G425

6i-UW / 6i, 8i, PW - Ping i210

SW - Callaway PM Grind 54.14

LW - Callaway PM Grind 60.10

P - Bettinardi BB5 / SC Pro Platinum Laguna 2.5
Bag - Ping Hoofer Lite / Ping Moonlite (old one with vertical strap)

21 hours ago, gentles said:

food for thought! 

430 max @10.5 has been my Goldilocks for just that.

image001.png.d0d61d8a89e2367024b56ce8b92dfbe7.png

• Like 2

My thoughts were that up until this year, Ping was finding that they were basically blending the Max and LST lines. With drivers and general just getting lower and lower spin, I feel like from g LS Tech to g425, they crept slowly and slowly closer where the max got more playable for higher speed players to not be entirely too high spin, and the LST got higher and higher MOI.  They basically ended up as a similar driver with different looks and feel by the g425 line.  Some slight playing differences but really not much in it.   So I think this year they really attempted to separate the lines.  The g430 Max is basically the same as the G425 LST/Max (probably sits right in the middle of them) while the LST is really a true low spin driver that competes with the rest of the low spin options (TSR3, Stealth + etc). 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sub_Roc said:

I still can hit my G LS Tec with the Tour 85s shaft as good as my newer drivers.   Easy to hit and long.   If I had to upgrade, it would be a G430 LST with a Ventus Blue 6s.

Yes, consider it gold. When G LS Tec first came out and went in the bag it had that Tour 80 as well. Never dropping that combo thru G400,410,425,430 offerings I finally couldn't resist the offer of a Ventus VeloCore getting tipped up and giving it a whirl. Made a VERY reliable PING driver head even a little bit more so, it's been like a second honeymoon, a result I couldn't recommend highly enough, I wouldn't hesitate spending the money on it.

18 hours ago, Kenny Lee Puckett said:

Ok, now we've pivoted, we are getting specific about you,  and not just feedback about a driver model or two.

So, there is more info needed. Curious, what loft is the old G400 Max, probably 10.5*, or is it actually 9*? And when hit perfect out of the center do you typically play for/achieve a draw with it??

Without my knowing anything yet by logic if you hit "dive bomb hooks" your swing mechanics have the club head moving on a path from in to out (therefore if you clank it off the toes it's becomes quite a bad hook), you're a draw player. And if all that is accurate, center or more toe strike not withstanding, how could you possibly have concern about elevated spin numbers?!? A draw or a bad hook is always a low spin shot profile. FWIW RacineBoxer above describes a problem that is always an issue for a fade player, elevated spin. Also, if you report back the driver is 10.5* loft, remember, it will never be inordinately low spin. About 3,000 rpm is going to be the floor for most guys for that loft head (and again, typically only for guy that have incredibly good ball flight, 3500+ is usually much more common). Only if you consistently hit beautiful baby draws with a 10.5* will it possibly dip down further, usually only ever low as 2,500. So if that is your loft preference, be realistic about how "low" your spin will ever get with a 10.5* head. Anyway, I'm rambling here, give us some additional info about your desired ball flight, about the current driver, etc.

My G400 max is 10.5

My range has GC quad but only crappy range balls so no reliable spin data. Swing AoA is a couple degrees up with a neutral path. Preferred shot is a slight fade, but the miss is when I get flippy at the bottom and catch it off of the toe. I'm prepared to sacrifice distance for toe strike stability, so the crux of my question was how forgiving the LST heads are (compared to the max) off the toe. 

Does the sliding weight out on the toe make a difference in your fitting experience?

Thanks!

17 minutes ago, gentles said:

My G400 max is 10.5

My range has GC quad but only crappy range balls so no reliable spin data. Swing AoA is a couple degrees up with a neutral path. Preferred shot is a slight fade, but the miss is when I get flippy at the bottom and catch it off of the toe. I'm prepared to sacrifice distance for toe strike stability, so the crux of my question was how forgiving the LST heads are (compared to the max) off the toe. 

Does the sliding weight out on the toe make a difference in your fitting experience?

Thanks!

Gent,  you will hit a LST head even shorter and more crooked on mishits (ball speed will vanish & and it will curve even more). FWIW you should really put impact tape on your G400 driver face range sessions and confirm what activity is actually occurring. I always find that incredibly helpful, almost mandatory if you are in search of answers to something.

slapping the weight out on toe side of the head slows down face rotation (the toe is heavier, therefore it is rotating slower) typically for hookers of the ball with a centered impact position.  

(or, enable hitting a cut more predictably without having to hold the face open for dear life. if you look at my G LS Tec that's why I have lead tape slathered all over toe and a "-" setting). 

if you hit fades with a 10.5* driver you are going to settle into some rpm number range above 3,000. BTW if you already have a "+" AoA and a neutral path you are only moments away from hitting an easy draw. I'd work on hitting one. you'd hit is drastically further without any need for increasing ball speed. swing path slightly in to out, face slightly closed to that path, launch it quickly, it'll start slightly out to the right, you'll see a high peak apex, and when that thing gets up at the top of the rollercoaster and turns left, it is gonzo!!!!!! that profile has an excellent descent angle and lowered spin. you'll hit it 20 yds further, minimum.