MMT vs Axiom

AmateurAmateur

I’m in the middle of Axiom verse Accra right now.   MMT was no bueno for me from a dispersion standpoint.  

• Like 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

I have the MMT 125TX and have tested the Axiom 125X.  Honestly, I love MMT but Axiom was hands down better in the dispersion department for me.  More stable/anti-left with similar launch and spin.  Carry was within 2 yards of each other with 7 iron(190 vs. 192) but Axiom's dispersion pattern was much smaller/tighter.  Like you, it's tough to justify spending 600 to reshaft my irons atm, but I may take the plunge eventually knowing that I'm leaving a few strokes out there just on iron play alone. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 4

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

Thanks for the write-up. I'm not really looking to move on from the MMT's I've played since they were introduced. But, if the Axiom is a little better . . .

The epoxy is drying on a Blueprint 7-iron as I type, and will test on Monday.

• Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

I hit the mmts and I hated them. The LA shaft was much much better. 

WITB

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 LS - Ventus TR Blue 6x (44 3/4)

3 Wood: Taylormade M2 - Ventus TR Blue 7x

3 Utility: Srixon MKII - Graphite Design DI 95x

Irons: Cobra Tour 4-PW LA Golf L Series 120x

Wedges: Cobra SB 50, 54, 58 LA Golf L Series Wedge flex

Putter: Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini

Balls: TP5X

1 hour ago, nitram said:

Long story short, I had a chance to hit 200 balls ('22 BXS & '23 Pro V1) with it on Tuesday. It performed very similarly to my gamer, and basically feels like a hard-stepped MMT-125TX.

Trajectory was a little easier to control and launch on a stock shot was a little lower, and that suits me because I play in the wind more often than not. I can still feel the shaft load and the back side shaft pressure that I require.

Spin, distance, and dispersion are basically a wash. I also use my 7-iron on chips and the Axiom allowed me to hit my spots and roll out with predictability.

In summary, I could definitely play the Axiom. It feels a tiny bit stiffer but still offers good feedback and the comfort (lack of sore joints) that made me switch to. non-steel in the first place.

I'll continue to try the Axiom, I'm gonna shaft up a PW & 5-iron over the next couple of weeks and see if they continue to impress. I'll be due for a new set of irons next Spring and they will either be another set of Blueprints or the new Blueprint T's.

So I have time to make a more informed decision on shaft choice. I really like the MMT's, but the Axiom performs well enough for me to get an honest tryout.

Hope this helps.

Are you a swinger or a hitter?  I find that the MMT works for for swingers like my brother but I'm a hitter and if I'm not careful with my transition I can get some knarly hooks with the MMT.  The Axioms were so much more stable for my transition, even the ones I put more oomph into. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Like 2

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

On 10/11/2023 at 8:09 PM, phizzy30 said:

I have the MMT 125TX and have tested the Axiom 125X.  Honestly, I love MMT but Axiom was hands down better in the dispersion department for me.  More stable/anti-left with similar launch and spin.  Carry was within 2 yards of each other with 7 iron(190 vs. 192) but Axiom's dispersion pattern was much smaller/tighter.  Like you, it's tough to justify spending 600 to reshaft my irons atm, but I may take the plunge eventually knowing that I'm leaving a few strokes out there just on iron play alone. 

I am currently using X100s in P7TW irons. I heard the MMT 125TX profile is closer to the X100 TT than the Axiom 125X. Have you experienced X100s before? 

• Like 1

13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

Just now, Jbar said:

I am currently using X100s in P7TW irons. I heard the MMT 125TX profile is closer to the X100 TT than the Axiom 125X. Have you experienced X100s before? 

I actually had X100's for 5 years.  Axiom's feel a tad more stout than the MMT which is closer to the X100's, IMO.  However, if we wanna get technical, the apex for MMT is slightly higher than X100 but spins slightly less for me.  Axioms were tighter dispersion than the MMT which is more X100 like.   

• Thanks 1

Ive been in either X7's or C-Tapers 130's for the past year. Currently in Miura MB101's with C-Tapers. Short story, I was messing around on my sim with my dad's old set of Mizuno 225's with MMT 105S in them. After making a few swings it was crazy to me how easily the shaft just moved through impact. Club head speed jumped 2 MPH, dispersion wasn't any worse and launch/spin were almost identical at the same loft. 

Am I crazy to want to jump into MMT 105TX's in my Miura's? I've been messing with the idea of Axiom 105X as well but I think it'd be smarter for me to go from a 130g shaft to the 114g of the MMT 105TX vs jumping from 130g all the way down to 105g. 

Always told myself I needed heavy and stiff but funny how going lighter I feel like the club just works with me vs me needing to work hard to move the club properly. 

My head has been a mess these past few days now. Read every post there is on MMT's and Axioms. I've played both MMT 125TX and Axiom 125x's. Both performed nicely but I was chasing lower flights and spin when it wasn't the arrow but more the Indian. My fault is so similar to most ex baseball players. I get stuck and flippy and I think the lighter overall weight I'm thinking of moving into might help with that. 

Edited by KingTitus
  • Like 2

SIM2 8 degree - Ventus Black 7x

SIM2 3 wood - Ventus Black 8x

Srixon ZX Utility 2 Iron - Ventus Black 10TX

Mizuno MP-20 MMC 4-PW - Project X 6.5

Mizuno T20 50/55/60 - Project X 6.5

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Titleist ProV1x Left Dash

Just now, KingTitus said:

Ive been in either X7's or C-Tapers 130's for the past year. Currently in Miura MB101's with C-Tapers. Short story, I was messing around on my sim with my dad's old set of Mizuno 225's with MMT 105S in them. After making a few swings it was crazy to me how easily the shaft just moved through impact. Club head speed jumped 2 MPH, dispersion wasn't any worse and launch/spin were almost identical at the same loft. 

Am I crazy to want to jump into MMT 105TX's in my Miura's? I've been messing with the idea of Axiom 105X as well but I think it'd be smarter for me to go from a 130g shaft to the 114g of the MMT 105TX vs jumping from 130g all the way down to 105g. 

Always told myself I needed heavy and stiff but funny how going lighter I feel like the club just works with me vs me needing to work hard to move the club properly. 

My head has been a mess these past few days now. Read every post there is on MMT's and Axioms. I've played both MMT 125TX and Axiom 125x's. Both performed nicely but I was chasing lower flights and spin when it wasn't the arrow but more the Indian. My fault is so similar to most ex baseball players. I get stuck and flippy and I think the lighter overall weight I'm thinking of moving into might help with that. 

I played baseball growing up as well all the way through high school.  I've messed with lighter shafts before and they tend to overdraw/hook for me.  I definitely feel you on the stuck and flippy part.  I remember you being a bit faster than me and the thought of going lighter for you is interesting.  How old are you?  I know that I will eventually have to move to lighter shafts sooner than later being 43 with past injuries to my back and knees, lol. 

Edited by phizzy30

13 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

I played baseball growing up as well all the way through high school.  I've messed with lighter shafts before and they tend to overdraw/hook for me.  I definitely feel you on the stuck and flippy part.  I remember you being a bit faster than me and the thought of going lighter for you is interesting.  How old are you?  I know that I will eventually have to move to lighter shafts sooner than later being 43 with past injuries to my back and knees, lol. 

I'm 31, almost 32. I've got a torn labrum in my left shoulder and early signs of arthritis in some knuckles, so trying to find the best solution to allow to me play golf for the next 40-50 years. 

• Sad 1

I'm 31, almost 32. I've got a torn labrum in my left shoulder and early signs of arthritis in some knuckles, so trying to find the best solution to allow to me play golf for the next 40-50 years. 

Prp injections and then maybe add some peptides or gh will help speed up healing for that torn labrum.  I had a partial tear in my hip recently and needed minor surgery.  I've been on doc prescribed HRT the last 5 years and the gh helped tremendously with healing.  My cousin got prp injection for his knee after surgery as well recently and it helped him as well.     

2 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Prp injections and then maybe add some peptides or gh will help speed up healing for that torn labrum.  I had a partial tear in my hip recently and needed minor surgery.  I've been on doc prescribed HRT the last 5 years and the gh helped tremendously with healing.  My cousin got prp injection for his knee after surgery as well recently and it helped him as well.     

I'm also on HRT....I just got off as I get married in 3 weeks and we want to start a family shortly after. After getting off, I've lost some swing speed and I'm hating it. Went from high 120's with driver to 118-120 now...I'm dying to get back on!

• Like 1

Good write up.  I’m currently in MMT’s and have LA in my backups.  Kind of wish it was the other way around, but not enough to go to the trouble to switch them.  I’ve been very curious about the Axioms, but it is hard to justify the expense when I have no complaints with either the MMT’s or LA Golf shafts…

I'm also on HRT....I just got off as I get married in 3 weeks and we want to start a family shortly after. After getting off, I've lost some swing speed and I'm hating it. Went from high 120's with driver to 118-120 now...I'm dying to get back on!

No kids for me, haha.  The wife and I agreed we didn't want them awhile back.  I've actually been on hormones forever as I had aspirations to someday get my IFBB pro card when I was younger, lol.  Obviously never happened and the repercussions of that led to me having to seek a urologist and start HRT sooner than later.  Congrats on getting married and good luck with getting the missus knocked up. 

Edited by phizzy30
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

No kids for me, haha.  The wife and I agreed we didn't want them awhile back.  I've actually been on hormones forever as I had aspirations to someday get my IFBB pro card when I was younger, lol.  Obviously never happened and the repercussions of that led to me having to seek a urologist and start HRT sooner than later.  Congrats on getting married and good luck with getting the missus knocked up. 

I can imagine. I’ve thought about jumping on other supplements over the years but decided against it. On HRT to stay optimized but man, I’ve gotten off and the swing speed has dropped a good 6-7mph and it’s killing me mentally. Gotta get the wife pregnant ASAP so I can jump back on the sauce and get the speed up again. 

I can imagine. I’ve thought about jumping on other supplements over the years but decided against it. On HRT to stay optimized but man, I’ve gotten off and the swing speed has dropped a good 6-7mph and it’s killing me mentally. Gotta get the wife pregnant ASAP so I can jump back on the sauce and get the speed up again. 

If you're just looking for performance gains for golf, there isn't any need for anything more than a small dose of test and some gh or peptides for healing.  Trust me on that.  Sports like football, hockey or rugby, different story. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

If you're just looking for performance gains for golf, there isn't any need for anything more than a small dose of test and some gh or peptides for healing.  Trust me on that.  Sports like football, hockey or rugby, different story. 

So I don’t need the 200cc’s of tren daily?🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Phabs
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

5 minutes ago, Phabs said:

A man of good taste!!! 😎😎

• Haha 1

😳

42 minutes ago, Phabs said:

Only 250 cc's everyday will do just fine actually. 

Edited by phizzy30

On 10/19/2023 at 11:27 AM, phizzy30 said:

Are you a swinger or a hitter?  I find that the MMT works for for swingers like my brother but I'm a hitter and if I'm not careful with my transition I can get some knarly hooks with the MMT.  The Axioms were so much more stable for my transition, even the ones I put more oomph into. 

Over the years I’ve been told I’m both. Looking at my last video I’ll say I’m more of a hitter. 

I agree 100% on losing one left now & then when I go after it with the MMT. I’ll have to see if the Axiom can reduce that a bit. Although I know my tendency is to get a little too much from the inside to counter coming over the top when trying to smoke one, and that ain’t on the shaft.

• Like 1

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 3 weeks later...