MMT vs Axiom

AmateurAmateur

On 10/11/2023 at 8:53 PM, AmateurAmateur said:

The well struck shots didn't have the left turn that the MMT's seem too unless I smothered them (which is my miss and no fault of the club) 

This is one of the biggest takeaways that I've had since switching to the Axioms (especially when compared to traditional steel).  There isn't much "movement" compared to the prior steel shafts that I was using.  It took a few rounds to adjust to, but I think much better for my game.  

Also, the last few rounds I've played were in some pretty stiff winds and I felt that the ball wasn't affected as much as usual.  

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

5 minutes ago, CactusGolf said:

This is one of the biggest takeaways that I've had since switching to the Axioms (especially when compared to traditional steel).  There isn't much "movement" compared to the prior steel shafts that I was using.  It took a few rounds to adjust to, but I think much better for my game.  

Also, the last few rounds I've played were in some pretty stiff winds and I felt that the ball wasn't affected as much as usual.  

I had the total opposite experience with the axiom in the wind.  

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

5 minutes ago, Phabs said:

I had the total opposite experience with the axiom in the wind.  

Lateral movement or climbing up?

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

5 minutes ago, CactusGolf said:

Lateral movement or climbing up?

Hugely effected by wind.  Didn't balloon but we're pushed way more than any ball i've ever seen 

Cobra Aerojet 9* - LAGP A Series X Mid 

Cobra LTDX 3W - Tensei 1K 75 TX 

New Level 18* KBS Tour Prototype 105X / Cobra LTDX 5w - Tensei Black 85 TX

Artisan HM's / Custom Nike VR Pro Blades - 6.5 Project X Blackouts

Mizuno T22 Copper 50/54 - Project X Blackout 7.0 Spinners

Vokey 58 T Grind - Project X 6.5 Blackout

Artisan 0521 w/ LAGP 135  / Compass G.O.A.T  w/ LAGP135 / LegacyGoods Widebody w/ KBS One Step / Byron DH89 w/ LAGP135 / Cameron Studio 1.5 w/ UST All in

Bridgestone Tour BXS 

1 minute ago, Phabs said:

Hugely effected by wind.  Didn't balloon but we're pushed way more than any ball i've ever seen 

Interesting.  I know I have a relatively low spin game (have to play TR Red to get more spin in woods).

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

On 10/19/2023 at 12:27 PM, phizzy30 said:

Are you a swinger or a hitter?  I find that the MMT works for for swingers like my brother but I'm a hitter and if I'm not careful with my transition I can get some knarly hooks with the MMT.  The Axioms were so much more stable for my transition, even the ones I put more oomph into. 

I'd say I'm a swinger as well and my SS is only about 75-78 with a 7 iron. I love MMT 125S. There aren't very many heavier graphite shafts that aren't too stiff for me. I get the hooks when I try to adjust to 90-100g graphite shafts. I got used to the 125S immediately and haven't looked back. 

I'm always interested in trying newer options but I can't see spending the money on a set of Axioms. I may grab a set that's already built up once there are more in the wild. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, thedunedain said:

I know fujikara and mitsubishi make associated wedge shafts, but do you play them as well?  Are they any benefit to an S400? Other than maybe providing a similar swing feel to the irons

No I play X100’s in my wedges. Nothing special going on there. 

2 hours ago, thedunedain said:

I know fujikara and mitsubishi make associated wedge shafts, but do you play them as well?  Are they any benefit to an S400? Other than maybe providing a similar swing feel to the irons

I know this wasn't directed at me, but I ended up putting in Pro 115s into my wedges and found the feel is very close to the irons.  Much more consistent than the steel Rev 115s that came stock.

• Like 1

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

5 hours ago, me05501 said:

I'd say I'm a swinger as well and my SS is only about 75-78 with a 7 iron. I love MMT 125S. There aren't very many heavier graphite shafts that aren't too stiff for me. I get the hooks when I try to adjust to 90-100g graphite shafts. I got used to the 125S immediately and haven't looked back. 

I'm always interested in trying newer options but I can't see spending the money on a set of Axioms. I may grab a set that's already built up once there are more in the wild. 

Or you could wait a couple years for the price to drop.  MMT's were about the same as the Axioms if I remember correctly when they were first released.  They're a bit cheaper nowadays.  Perhaps some OEMs making them available as an option also has something to do with the price drop?

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

At release the MMT’s SRP was $90 USD. 

MMT Golfwrx

Ping G430 Max 10K 10.5° driver - Diamana GT 60S

Ping G430 Max 15° #3 fairway - Diamana TB 70S

Ping G430 Max 21° #7 fairway - Diamana TB 80S

Ping G430 Max 26° #5 hybrid - MMTh 90S

Mizuno Pro 243 4-PW irons - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 48°-10S wedge - MMT 105S

Mizuno T24 Raw 54°-10S and 60°-06X wedges - MMT Scoring Wedge 105S

Mizuno OMOI Type 3

Titleist Pro V1x

On 10/19/2023 at 2:55 PM, Jbar said:

I am currently using X100s in P7TW irons. I heard the MMT 125TX profile is closer to the X100 TT than the Axiom 125X. Have you experienced X100s before? 

I played X100 since they were introduced. For me it was a seemless transition to MMT 125TX from X100.

• Like 2

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2023 at 9:39 PM, WeritoK2 said:

Guys, if I do well playing PX LZ 6.0 and AMT Tour White S300, which Axiom model would fit better? I think models are too wide apart as of now. 

You’re like me! I game the lz 6.0 and can play amt white s300!

I struggle with the lighter 105g stuff. Some options I’ve thought about are MMT 125S, Dart V 120

Anyone switch out of lz 6.0? 

I’m watching this guy go from his LZ 6.0 to Accra 100 shaft that I’m not familiar with. Hope this is the key

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, scorley22 said:

Any update? Curious about the lighter stiff version.

I didn't end up with a full set of Axiom 75s. I did try the 4 iron with a 75 and could not get it to sync up at all with my swing. On the other hand, I built a set of 105S axiom and they feel really, really good.

I tried the Axiom 105s after using the MMT 105s and honestly couldn’t tell a difference in performance between the two shafts. To me, the cost of the upgrade to the Axiom want not worth it to get almost exactly the same performance. Performance was so similar that if the data wasn’t broken into two separate tables from the launch monitor you would have thought all the shots were hit with the same exact shafts. I sold the Axioms and stuck with the MMT’s. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheShark1 said:

I tried the Axiom 105s after using the MMT 105s and honestly couldn’t tell a difference in performance between the two shafts. To me, the cost of the upgrade to the Axiom want not worth it to get almost exactly the same performance. Performance was so similar that if the data wasn’t broken into two separate tables from the launch monitor you would have thought all the shots were hit with the same exact shafts. I sold the Axioms and stuck with the MMT’s. 

Which irons are using the MMT?

13.5 BRNR | 19* G430 3H | 22* G430 4H
NL 480-TC 5-PW | MG4 TW 56* & 60*
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5
| Pro V1

great info here. Anyone compare MMT and Axioms to steelfibers? 

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

1 hour ago, ob1soccer said:

I went from Steelfiber FC115 to MMT 125. Maybe this isn't the comparison you're after because the FC shafts aren't that similar to the i95's or other Steelfibers. 

I really liked the feel of the FC115's but they'd spin the ball up and seemed to cost me some distance. The MMT's in 125S are pretty similar to a DG300S or Modus 120S. 

I am not a fast swinger but I have no problem with MMT shafts in stiff flex. I avoid Steelfibers in stiff because I don't think I can load them. 

• Like 2

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

1 minute ago, me05501 said:

I went from Steelfiber FC115 to MMT 125. Maybe this isn't the comparison you're after because the FC shafts aren't that similar to the i95's or other Steelfibers. 

I really liked the feel of the FC115's but they'd spin the ball up and seemed to cost me some distance. The MMT's in 125S are pretty similar to a DG300S or Modus 120S. 

I am not a fast swinger but I have no problem with MMT shafts in stiff flex. I avoid Steelfibers in stiff because I don't think I can load them. 

same for me with the steelfibers, have modus 105s now and want to move to graphite so MMT is on the short list

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

same for me with the steelfibers, have modus 105s now and want to move to graphite so MMT is on the short list

I think you would like the MMT 105 coming from the Modus 105. Recoil Dart would be something to look at as well, as I find them a bit smoother and easier to load than the MMT 105 (not saying good or bad either way, just an observation).

i95R: love them, but they have always lost out to the i110 in fittings. I just seem to perform better with shafts in the 105-110g range.

i95S: hated them. So stiff, harsh and just tough for me to play.

i110R: love them, and could play them anytime, but they got beaten out by some iron combos I had with MMT 105 and Recoil Dart 105.

i110S: I could actually play these, but they were very stiff, and actually caused me as much joint pain and discomfort as steel shafts had caused me. I need to soft-step these to be able to play them regularly.

MMT 105S: love these, and play them pretty regularly. Had been playing '21 P790's with these straight in with success, but just received a set of '23 P790 with MMT 105 that I ordered soft-stepped once. Looking for a bit softer feel, bit more launch and spin. Just got them in today, so I'll see how this goes.

MMT 105TX: heavier than the 105 by about 10g, noticeably stiffer. Have them soft-stepped once in my wedges where they work well. Could not play them in irons.

Recoil Dart 105 F4: love these, and could also play these any day. Profiles aside, play pretty similar to me as the MMT 105, but a bit smoother and more loading. Great shafts.

• Like 3

Ping G430 Max 9* Driver, GD Tour AD VR-6 S

Callaway ‘23 Great Big Bertha 3 Wood, GD Tour AD VR-7 S

Callaway Paradym 18* Super Hybrid, Aerotech Steelfiber fc75 Hy f4

Callaway Paradym X 4 and 5 Hybrids, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 80 6.0

Mizuno JPX 923 HM Irons 6-GW, MMT 105 S

Taylormade Milled Grind 4 Wedges 54*/11 and 58*/11, MMT 105 TX (ss1x)

Odyssey O-Works #7CH Putter

16 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

I like Modus 105S and 120S. I tried so many graphite shafts before I landed on the MMT 125S. I haven't regretted the work it took to narrow down to these. 

If you're looking at heavier graphite shafts that aren't as stiff as rebar there really aren't too many options to choose from. 

• Like 2

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

2 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

Also yes. Steel fibres were noticeably stiffer. Harsher. High launch and spin (No launch monitor numbers). They’re good enough for a backup set I can use to go shoot low 70’s in if needed but also a solid second place far enough behind the MMT’s that I never question which one I play in a round that matters. 

40 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

I think you would like the MMT 105 coming from the Modus 105. Recoil Dart would be something to look at as well, as I find them a bit smoother and easier to load than the MMT 105 (not saying good or bad either way, just an observation).

i95R: love them, but they have always lost out to the i110 in fittings. I just seem to perform better with shafts in the 105-110g range.

i95S: hated them. So stiff, harsh and just tough for me to play.

i110R: love them, and could play them anytime, but they got beaten out by some iron combos I had with MMT 105 and Recoil Dart 105.

i110S: I could actually play these, but they were very stiff, and actually caused me as much joint pain and discomfort as steel shafts had caused me. I need to soft-step these to be able to play them regularly.

MMT 105S: love these, and play them pretty regularly. Had been playing '21 P790's with these straight in with success, but just received a set of '23 P790 with MMT 105 that I ordered soft-stepped once. Looking for a bit softer feel, bit more launch and spin. Just got them in today, so I'll see how this goes.

MMT 105TX: heavier than the 105 by about 10g, noticeably stiffer. Have them soft-stepped once in my wedges where they work well. Could not play them in irons.

Recoil Dart 105 F4: love these, and could also play these any day. Profiles aside, play pretty similar to me as the MMT 105, but a bit smoother and more loading. Great shafts.

great info thanks, probably the best place to start is MMT 105s and then go from there.  U ever hit the MMT 95 to compare to MMT 105?

5 minutes ago, ob1soccer said:

great info thanks, probably the best place to start is MMT 105s and then go from there.  U ever hit the MMT 95 to compare to MMT 105?

Agree, the MMT 105 is a great starting point. I was a longtime Modus 105, TT XP 105, type of player. I know people will get hung up on profiles and such, but I have had success playing all of the SF i110, MMT 105, Recoil Dart and Catalyst 100. The Catalyst 100 was an outstanding shaft that has been discontinued unfortunately (needed to soft-step the 6.0 once or twice).

I forgot to include the fc90 and fc115 in my summary above. Did not love the fc90--little light, soft and spinny for me. Did like the fc115, though needed to soft-step that twice and that profile did not do enough to win me over.

As to the MMT 95, I have played it. Very nice shaft, if you can go sub-100g. I was a bit pully with it, due to the lighter weight. Similar to the SF i95 vs i110, I just think I fit better in the MMT 105 vs MMT 95. YMMV on that.

And here is something to keep in mind with all of these shafts. Swing-weighting is all over the place. I have received expensive Ping iron sets with SF i110, where I made the mistake of not specifying SW, and they came in under D0. Unplayable for me and got rid of them. On the flip side, I've received Mizuno iron sets with MMT 105 where I specified D2 and they showed up D5. Unacceptable from Mizuno, but MMT's do seem to SW pretty high, for better or worse. Taylormade seems to have this down to a science, as different P790 iron sets I have ordered through them with MMT 105 have all come in right around D2-D3, as I have requested. The MMT 95 iron set I tested out was I think at like D4, again rather high. Recoil Darts seem to SW pretty well, perhaps a bit lower rather than higher like the MMT. YMMV.

5 minutes ago, jeffrey r said:

Agree, the MMT 105 is a great starting point. I was a longtime Modus 105, TT XP 105, type of player. I know people will get hung up on profiles and such, but I have had success playing all of the SF i110, MMT 105, Recoil Dart and Catalyst 100. The Catalyst 100 was an outstanding shaft that has been discontinued unfortunately (needed to soft-step the 6.0 once or twice).

I forgot to include the fc90 and fc115 in my summary above. Did not love the fc90--little light, soft and spinny for me. Did like the fc115, though needed to soft-step that twice and that profile did not do enough to win me over.

As to the MMT 95, I have played it. Very nice shaft, if you can go sub-100g. I was a bit pully with it, due to the lighter weight. Similar to the SF i95 vs i110, I just think I fit better in the MMT 105 vs MMT 95. YMMV on that.

And here is something to keep in mind with all of these shafts. Swing-weighting is all over the place. I have received expensive Ping iron sets with SF i110, where I made the mistake of not specifying SW, and they came in under D0. Unplayable for me and got rid of them. On the flip side, I've received Mizuno iron sets with MMT 105 where I specified D2 and they showed up D5. Unacceptable from Mizuno, but MMT's do seem to SW pretty high, for better or worse. Taylormade seems to have this down to a science, as different P790 iron sets I have ordered through them with MMT 105 have all come in right around D2-D3, as I have requested. The MMT 95 iron set I tested out was I think at like D4, again rather high. Recoil Darts seem to SW pretty well, perhaps a bit lower rather than higher like the MMT. YMMV.

we seem to like the same shafts, so all of this info is good. I hit the fc90 also and definitely light and spinny for me also.

Never tried fc 115, steelfiber 110s was too boardy and felt heavy to me. I will start with MMT 105 and also try a MMT 95. How do u like the AD VR, i have a DI and HD

1 hour ago, ob1soccer said:

we seem to like the same shafts, so all of this info is good. I hit the fc90 also and definitely light and spinny for me also.

Never tried fc 115, steelfiber 110s was too boardy and felt heavy to me. I will start with MMT 105 and also try a MMT 95. How do u like the AD VR, i have a DI and HD

Nice, good luck. It’s fun testing these graphite shafts, and the positive effect on my joints and overall health has been significant. These premium shafts are so good and give nothing up to steel.

I love the VR—fantastic shaft. Meshes very well with my swing, and is very smooth, stable and reliable. It beat out the IZ, UB and BB for me, and the only one left I really want to try is the HD for completeness (I don’t feel the need to bring the TP into the mix). I’ll let you know my thoughts on that comparison if I am able to try out the HD.

9 hours ago, ob1soccer said:

I’ve played all three and they all performed well, but for me the Axioms perform the best. They have the tightest dispersion with a slightly higher launch and spin. MMT were good, had great feel, but just not as good as the Axioms. The SF felt the most similar to steel, but had the flattest flight. 

• Like 1

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip