2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Need Help on Scotland Trip....

I want to take my son to Scotland for a week to play some of the great courses...next summer for his 30th birthday. We've been working with one company and I'm a bit flabbergasted at the cost. 8 nights in good but not the most expensive lodging, looks like 6 rounds of golf at top courses...St Andrews, Troon, Carnoustie, Berwick, Gullane. Lodging plus golf only, we are being quoted $16k+ for the two of us. Is it really this expensive to play over there? Our quote is for late September into the first couple of days of October, not even prime time. They are saying the summer is basically already booked.

Does this make sense? If not, does anyone have suggested for travel companies we can book with. I'm open to any travel company that can help us, my wife knows someone in the business so the above quote is from this person.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, cohenfive said:

I want to take my son to Scotland for a week to play some of the great courses...next summer for his 30th birthday. We've been working with one company and I'm a bit flabbergasted at the cost. 8 nights in good but not the most expensive lodging, looks like 6 rounds of golf at top courses...St Andrews, Troon, Carnoustie, Berwick, Gullane. Lodging plus golf only, we are being quoted $16k+ for the two of us. Is it really this expensive to play over there? Our quote is for late September into the first couple of days of October, not even prime time. They are saying the summer is basically already booked.

Does this make sense? If not, does anyone have suggested for travel companies we can book with. I'm open to any travel company that can help us, my wife knows someone in the business so the above quote is from this person.

Thanks!

I just checked out North Berwick West Links. The following was posted on their website: "   

"PLEASE NOTE OUR AVAILABILITY FOR TEE TIMES IN 2024  IS EXTREMELY LIMITED  DUE TO EXCEPTIONAL DEMAND.

( MAY & JUNE 2024 ARE NOW FULLY BOOKED, WITH JULY THRU SEPTEMBER 2024 NEARLY FULL ALSO)"

I almost always book my own trips to the UK and Ireland. For me it's part of the fun and a lot less expensive than using a travel agent/tour operator. Having said that, there has been extreme inflation in green fees in recent years (especially at the big name courses). Green fees have increased significantly in excess than the general rate of inflation, so it is expensive any way you do it. A round at NB West links is now 240 GBP ($300). Getting a round at the Old Course from a travel agent/ tour operator is prohibitively expensive. Either wait until 2025 so you can apply to the St Andrews Trust for your own tee time, or try the daily ballot for the Old Course when you are there in 2024. Schedule the New course instead and hope you can get on the Old when there. Mix in a few lesser known courses. They're less expensive and just as much fun and often a better experience.

Here is a good 6 day itinerary:

Dunbar, Gullane #1, Gullane #2 or #3 (a good 36 hole day and discounted by playing two Gullane courses), North Berwick West Links , The New Course, Elie and Crail Balcomie.  Add Carnoustie in lieu of one of the others if you have your heart set on playing an Open Rota course). Skip Troon. It'll add too much driving  and it's over-priced. 

Stay at B&B's. There are some great ones in North Berwick and around St Andrews. I'd make North Berwick your base for the days in East Lothian and either St Andrews or Anstruther for your days in Fife (and your day at Carnoustie if you add that). Check out Seaholm B&B in North Berwick. It's walking distance to the West Links and many good restaurants. 

You should be able to do seven rounds (if you get the two round ticket at Gullane) and six nights bed & breakfast for well under $7k (that's for both of you; not each) and even less if you share a double room with your son. That doesn't include airfare car hire, lunches and dinners.

Start booking it today by calling or e-mailing the courses using the contact info from their websites. They are generally super firendly. 

If you want to use one of the tour operators, yes that’s the cost of doing business. 

Depending on how ambitious your itinerary is and if you’re using a driver etc - I’ve seen quotes from a range of 7K-14K per person.

And yeah, sorry, it’s super late to be planning a 2024 trip. The companies are starting to offer 2025 packages now. 

My buddy and I just booked the majority of our trip for next summer. We have 8 rounds booked, two different places to stay, and direct flights back and forth. All-in, $3800 apiece. 

But, we also could not get Old Course booked (so if that's important to you, you may need to book through a service). We do have a couple days we're leaving open, and the plan is to walk up to the starter's tent at St. Andrews and ask if we can get on Old Course. If they say no, we ask what they have available on their other courses and try to play one of those. If that doesn't work out, we try another course in the area or we go pub-hopping for the day. 

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

10 hours ago, cohenfive said:

Thanks!

Went to Scotland last year 2nd and 3rd week of September.  Used Golf Scotland to book everything.  Golf, lodging (13 days) and rental car was US$11k each.  This does not including airfare and food.

We received some special pricing because this was a trip that was proponed from 2020 and we had already fully paid for it back in 2020.  I think if we were to book it today it would be at least 15% more.

8 courses played - St Andrews Jubilee, St. Andrews Old Course, Carnoustie Championship, Kingsbarn, Royal Dornoch, Castle Stuart, Royal Troon and Turnberry Ailsa. 

BTW Sept and beginning of Oct is a great time to go.  In our trip we only had rain for one day.  Some wind and showers but most days were sunny and cool.

Golf Scotland really took good care of us.  But yes you are paying for the service.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cohenfive said:

Thanks!

You are definitely late to book and if using an agency is your only option then those are the prices you can expect.

If you are willing to compromise on a guaranteed Old Course (and potentially the other premium courses) you might be able to book yourself and save some money but that would be dependent on tee time availability.

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

18 hours ago, cohenfive said:

Thanks!

Just doing some quick math, here’s a breakdown of what you could expect prices to be:

GREEN FEES 

TOC $350

Troon $370

Carnoustie $330

North Berwick $260

Gullane #3 $230

TOTAL $1540

LODGING

3* Hotel $175 per night 

B&B $120 per night

Air bnb $100 per night

TOTAL $800 - $1400

TRANSPORTATION

Driver $400 per day

Rental car $80 per day + $240 in gas

TOTAL $850 - $3200

FLIGHTS

$700 - $1200 each

On the high end you’re looking at $6K each if you booked the trip yourself. Depending on your transportation and lodging it could be as low as $4k each. Only recommendation I would make is to add Pretwick or Turnberry to Troon leg so you’re not driving all the way to Ayrshire for only one round. Or drop Troon and pick up another course in Fife or East Lothian. The rest of your courses are in close proximity except for Troon. 

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

2 hours ago, cohenfive said:

Thanks. What should we add if we drop Troon?

Lots of great options:

In Fife

Kingsbarns

The New Course

The Jubilee Course

The Castle Course

Dumbarnie

Crail

Lundin

In East Lothian

Muirfield

Dunbar

Archerfield

The Renaissance

Craigelaw

8 hours ago, hammergolf said:

Lots of great options:

In Fife

Kingsbarns

The New Course

The Jubilee Course

The Castle Course

Dumbarnie

Crail

Lundin

In East Lothian

Muirfield

Dunbar

Archerfield

The Renaissance

Craigelaw

Some good suggestions, but you forgot Elie.

Per my early post above, in Fife I suggested the New, Elie (which shouldn't  be missed)and Crail. In East Lothian I suggested a day ticket to play 2 Gullane courses and Dunbar. Those are among my favorites and better bang for the buck than the Castle, Kingsbarns, Renaissance and Dumbarnie.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sabram said:

Some good suggestions, but you forgot Elie.

Per my early post above, in Fife I suggested the New, Elie (which shouldn't  be missed)and Crail. In East Lothian I suggested a day ticket to play 2 Gullane courses and Dunbar. Those are among my favorites and better bang for the buck than the Castle, Kingsbarns, Renaissance and Dumbarnie.

Oops, missed Elie. What’s your thoughts on Crail Craighead? I didn’t play it last time, but I’m a Gil Hanse fan.

4 hours ago, hammergolf said:

What’s your thoughts on Crail Craighead? I didn’t play it last time, but I’m a Gil Hanse fan.

I really like the few GH courses I've played. Craighead was one of his first and while okay, it's not in my top 10 in Fife. It's a good choice though if you want to play 36 holes on a reasonable day ticket together with Balcomie. Otherwise, I'd play Elie, Lundin, Leven, Balcomie and Ladybank before playing Craighead.

• Like 1

Seems a lot of money to me, you can't avoid the green fees but it's not hard to organise your own lodgings in St Andrews or North Berwick / Gullane 

For Fife I'd say Kingsbarns is overrated. Also you might want to break up all the links golf at a parkland course - Downfield in Dundee is a smashing course and you'd get a break from the wind! 

For East Lothian Gullane no1 and North Berwick are a must. And Muirfield obviously but that's difficult to get on. No one says anything bad about Dunbar. Not played it but i'd be curious to play the Renaissance.  

Callaway Epic Max LS 
TM M2 3 wood 
Mizuno MP 650 hybrids -  17 & 22 degree

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5 iron

Mizuno MP-5 6-PW KBS 120S
Vokey SM9 50

Vokey SM7 56, 60
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #9 

Interesting. Golf is cheap here compared to USA. Accomodation too. I guess it is like anything; there is a cheap way, expensive way.

Normally you get what you pay for.

my apartment in the height of summer is 400 or 512 dollars a night. Just bought another place(house)and it will be similar in pricing. Both are St Andrews central, 2 bed and very nice short term lets. St Andrews is stupid expensive for property, we paid 958 dollars per square foot by today’s terrible exchange rate.  You could pay rusacks or old course hotel and be double that for a single room. There is far cheaper accommodation too like caravans etc.

courses are amazing value here; i lived in Texas a few years and never played a course better than my one and in comparison the daily rate is cheap for such a highly rated world course.

i have 3 Texan friends coming across next summer for 10 days golf and I can ask them what they are paying? I think it would not be more than 3/4000. They will get two free rounds with me though at CGCB and RAGC.

or you could do a trip like the emperor dude on here and have the best of everything; he spent some amount of money but he had an amazing time.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

• 2 weeks later...