Charlie Woods…Juiced

14 minutes ago, TroyB123 said:

86.... so close 😀

Can everyone (maybe even himself if he chooses to) let Charlie Woods be a kid who's learning the game?

No more nonesense about his swing being tour ready, or insanely fast ball speeds, or he has dad's mannerisms therefore results will be the same.

Right now he struggles and fails to break par in average junior events. Like many children, the ball simply doesn't go where he intends it. Will he allow himself the time to hone his craft? Will the world accept that he could be like the sons of other greats like Jack Nicklaus amd Johnny Miller? Just above average.

Lastly, scrambles are not indicative of real skill in golf, its not even real golf!

Edited by Tugu
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Tugu said:

Can everyone (maybe even himself if he chooses to) let Charlie Woods be a kid who's learning the game?

No more nonesense about his swing being tour ready, or insanely fast ball speeds, or he has dad's mannerisms therefore results will be the same.

Right now he struggles and fails to break par in average junior events. Like many children, the ball simply doesn't go where he intends it. Will he allow himself the time to hone his craft? Will the world accept that he could be like the sons of other greats like Jack Nicklaus amd Johnny Miller? Just above average.

Lastly, scrambles are not indicative of real skill in golf, its not even real golf!

Up until this year, it seemed Tiger was handling Charlie well enough.  Said the right things about being a golf dad etc.   Sure, the PNC put a big spotlight on him, but it was a fun Father-son thing in the doldrums of the golf season.  The Junior events he played were the typical events for his level.

Now with creating a bunch of media attention by entering a pre-q he had no business being in, and using his influence to get him into an AJGA open seems to be oping him up to unfair expectations and criticisms.   

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 10:35 AM, wegobomber31 said:

in my experience, the scores are rarely posted by the junior tournament organizers. You just enter it as a competition round in GHIN manually. 

I’m sure for many juniors they only enter decent scores and try to inflate their GHIN. My son is super lazy with GHIN scores. It also doesn’t matter much (really only for entering USGA events and these kids are well beyond the handicap thresholds). Adults seem to think of their games in terms of handicap. Juniors have their tournament scores, finishes and ranks. 

Edited by MahalNeneng

On 2/22/2024 at 9:31 AM, TroyB123 said:

Up until this year, it seemed Tiger was handling Charlie well enough.  Said the right things about being a golf dad etc.   Sure, the PNC put a big spotlight on him, but it was a fun Father-son thing in the doldrums of the golf season.  The Junior events he played were the typical events for his level.

Now with creating a bunch of media attention by entering a pre-q he had no business being in, and using his influence to get him into an AJGA open seems to be oping him up to unfair expectations and criticisms.   

I really think Tiger is playing 4 dimensional chess. Even if Charlie cannot break 80 for the rest of his junior golf life, he's guaranteed the following:

• Top-tier junior/amateur event invitations and some pro event invitations
  • Get into Stanford
  • Get onto Stanford Golf team (should he choose to)
  • Sponsor exemptions into pro events

He'll be one of the richest pro golfers the minute he turns pro. What's also guaranteed is excessive amount of scrutiny whether Charlie chooses to play golf or not. All of above is a done deal regardless his scoring average. 

What's not a done deal is his character, his identity, his resilience. In other words, Charlie as a person. I still think youth sports is the best method to mode a young person's life. And playing Florida regional tours or AJGA is minor detail in the grand scheme of things. 

Edited by Medson
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, Medson said:

I really think Tiger is playing 4 dimensional chess. Even if Charlie cannot break 80 for the rest of his junior golf life, he's guaranteed the following:

• Top-tier junior/amateur event invitations and some pro event invitations
  • Get into Stanford
  • Get onto Stanford Golf team (should he choose to)
  • Sponsor exemptions into pro events

He'll be one of the richest pro golfers the minute he turns pro. What's also guaranteed is excessive amount of scrutiny whether Charlie chooses to play golf or not. All of above is a done deal regardless his scoring average. 

What's not a done deal is his character, his identity, his resilience. In other words, Charlie as a person. I still think youth sports is the best method to mode a young person's life. And playing Florida regional tours or AJGA is minor detail in the grand scheme of things. 

Will Charlie one day show off flash cars and jewellery bought with his NIL money like Lebron's son?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/22/2023 at 10:52 AM, MK7Golf21 said:

You may think that but need to know what you are looking at or they are all the same. Charlies is special in that it has a lot of Tigers qualities but in a unique package, quite extraordinary really. I have no idea how he developed that, it doesn't come natural. People can work all their lives and never get a swing that good.

If CW has Tiger's swing qualities, it's maybe something intangible aside from plane, face, path, low point, aoa, swing direction and center strike.

Or does more of the same over par golf, this time +21, still represent to you that CW is a flusher?🤣

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tugu said:

If CW has Tiger's swing qualities, it's maybe something intangible aside from plane, face, path, low point, aoa, swing direction and center strike.

Or does more of the same over par golf, this time +21, still represent to you that CW is a flusher?🤣

I don't really care what he shot in a tournament, I still really like his swing.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, MK7Golf21 said:

I don't really care what he shot in a tournament, I still really like his swing.

As long as golf swing is not designed to make the ball go to a specific spot, I can totally see where you are coming from.

What was it Rick James said on the Chapelle show, "cognitive dissonance is a helluva thing."

• Haha 1

On 12/22/2023 at 11:35 AM, Obee said:

You truly believe they had a "production meeting" and agreed to "goose" his numbers by "6-8%"?

Seriously? You don't think someone in that meeting stands up and says, "Yeah, No. Absolutely not doing that."

You know how hard it is to keep a secret for most people? How does that work, exactly? They just do some quick math and fudge the numbers? Or they take the launch monitor and switch it to 5,000 feet above sea level?

What other conspiracies do you believe in, WeGo???

Actually do agree and have long suspected this for various tour events. Iron ball speeds commonly read really high. It’ll be a 170 par 3 and you’ll see guys hitting like 138 ball speed which just isn’t happening unless they’re hitting into a big wind. Think it’s very unlikely Charlie is hitting with 10+ mph more ball speed on a same shot vs Tiger. 

pretty common on long par 3s as well in my experience. Will be a 200 yard hole and they’re saying guys are hitting 150 ball speed. Sorry not happening. It could relate to the way they position the trackmans on the tee or etc but it has been pretty consistently elevated in general for a bunch of events I’ve seen. Spend a lot of time hitting on launch monitors will similar stats to average pga tour pros speed wise. 

3 hours ago, doctor220 said:

pretty common on long par 3s as well in my experience. Will be a 200 yard hole and they’re saying guys are hitting 150 ball speed. Sorry not happening. It could relate to the way they position the trackmans on the tee or etc but it has been pretty consistently elevated in general for a bunch of events I’ve seen. Spend a lot of time hitting on launch monitors will similar stats to average pga tour pros speed wise. 

At Notah Begay Nat'l Championship, Wilson set up the long drive contest w/ trackman & the distance #s were extremely high. Not sure how they calibrated it, but it made everyone pumped up to see 300+ yards balls from 13 to 15 year olds when using the Wilson balls. 

34 minutes ago, SoCalTitleist said:

Charlie is a good golfer by most standards but to be elite takes talent.  All the money and personal coaches cant fix raw talent.

Bronny James has the best training and conditioning since he was born and nowhere near College or NBA level.

I haven't seen much of Charlie play, just with his dad in the televised events. It always seemed to me his main struggle was short game stuff like chipping, putting and short approaches. His driver seemed like the strong part of his game.

Edited by MK7Golf21

All I can say after what I have seen and read is that beyond what the stats and pro analysts comment on, the kid is a very good junior golfer, not elite, but very good. Any comparison to his father, which he will never come close to repeating or exceeding, is far fetched and just let the kid enjpy be a kid in high school and who may be able to get into a decent D1 school on his own merits.

Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Ping G425 SFT 3W, 5W

Ping G410 4H

Ping G425 Irons 5-LW

Ping Sigma2 Anser Platinum

Putter Odyssey White Hot Tour #1

Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Titleist 14 Way Hybrid Golf Bag

14 minutes ago, Jolter said:

All I can say after what I have seen and read is that beyond what the stats and pro analysts comment on, the kid is a very good junior golfer, not elite, but very good. Any comparison to his father, which he will never come close to repeating or exceeding, is far fetched and just let the kid enjpy be a kid in high school and who may be able to get into a decent D1 school on his own merits.

CW didn't get into his first AJGA on his own merits, why would college be any different? He will likely goto Stanford whether he's a top recruit or not. Stanford nowadays caters for types who barely break 80, but whose father manages billions in an investment fund or whose grandfather's name adorns a IVY school basketball stadium.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Tugu said:

CW didn't get into his first AJGA on his own merits, why would college be any different? He will likely goto Stanford whether he's a top recruit or not. Stanford nowadays caters for types who barely break 80, but whose father manages billions in an investment fund or whose grandfather's name adorns a IVY school basketball stadium.

Let’s be honest Tiger is just like any other golf Dad he is gaming the system and JGS by getting charlie into events anyway he can.

Going to fun watching Tiger become Earl.

Edited by jayslaysongolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, jayslaysongolf said:

Let’s be honest Tiger is just like any other golf Dad he is gaming the system and JGS by getting charlie into events anyway he can.

Going to fun watching Tiger become Earl.

I'm not in the slightest bit outraged by a dad using his position in life to benefit his kid. What huge % of IVY league spots goto legacy and not to merit based entry? If I cared, I'd be fighting this before I worried about Tiger Wood's kid getting some giveaway entries. I'm more commenting about the endless talk of work, earning and deserving that surrounds Tiger.

If Tiger just came out and said his kid is going to get everything he can use his power and influence to give him, I'd think that's about right. But instead we keep hearing about some non existent merit based process.

P.s Lets give Earl some credit. He raised and trained arguably the greatest golfer in the history of the game. The stats do not show Tiger is replicating that in CW.Screenshot_20240324_021119.jpg.f197bb06b580462e4c7fbce2fb501e06.jpg

• Like 2

I don't know too many rags to riches stories where the parents make the kids "grow up the same way to keep them driven."

Whether it's the former CEO of an investment bank or the TW, it's very difficult to grow up in luxury & comfort for the parents and still be equally driven. Maverick's father Scott McNealy - former Sun Microsystems CEO - insisted his boys play hockey & only local golf tournaments and I do respect that (though they did grow up in a mansion & belonged to all the exclusive country clubs) .  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tugu said:

I'm not in the slightest bit outraged by a dad using his position in life to benefit his kid. What huge % of IVY league spots goto legacy and not to merit based entry? If I cared, I'd be fighting this before I worried about Tiger Wood's kid getting some giveaway entries. I'm more commenting about the endless talk of work, earning and deserving that surrounds Tiger.

If Tiger just came out and said his kid is going to get everything he can use his power and influence to give him, I'd think that's about right. But instead we keep hearing about some non existent merit based process.

P.s Lets give Earl some credit. He raised and trained arguably the greatest golfer in the history of the game. The stats do not show Tiger is replicating that in CW.Screenshot_20240324_021119.jpg.f197bb06b580462e4c7fbce2fb501e06.jpg

The biggest problem with Junior Golf is rankings and the illusion there is a merit system.

We all know if you play well you’re supposed to get into events. The reality is you can play well and still end up never climbing the rankings and gaining AJGA stars.  

AJGA is the worst they should have qualifiers where at least 1/4 of the field qualifies to get into a open.  instead what they do is hold a qualifier where you lucky to get 2 or 3 spots and then offer you 1 star if you show up and make the 50% cut.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, jayslaysongolf said:

The biggest problem with Junior Golf is rankings and the illusion there is a merit system.

We all know if you play well you’re supposed to get into events. The reality is you can play well and still end up never climbing the rankings and gaining AJGA stars.  

AJGA is the worst they should have qualifiers where at least 1/4 of the field qualifies to get into a open.  instead what they do is hold a qualifier where you lucky to get 2 or 3 spots and then offer you 1 star if you show up and make the 50% cut.

Fwiw, I just read AJGA will be changing the exemption system to top 3 instead of top 5 come 2025. Presumably that'll require more kids to qualify.

3 hours ago, jayslaysongolf said:

This comment is really funny if you read it in the context of the not too distant history of the Jr. section of WRX.

Was always complaining about gaming the system...and life not being fair.

RIP Tiger.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2