2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

5 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Intriguing question ... my instinct (non-researched) is "LPGA is LPGA", "Epson is Epson" ... but pls correct me if wrong?

when the kft went to a points system they didnt count pga event points however theyve since changed. so i was wondering if lpga/epson had learned from that experience. the pgat/kft solution is still not perfect as pgat points arent waited so if you play a pgat event when the kft is off and do well its equal to doing well in a kft event even though its much harder.

Edited by jimecherry
  • Like 1

I thought folks here might be interested to see Rose Zhang is working with “Neuro 11” (European ‘brain training’ scientists). 

Neuro11 famously did some work with Liverpool FC , I.e. brain training / breathing techniques/ routines to manage stressful situations eg penalty kicks/ free kicks, set piece drills, etc).

https://theathletic.com/2864963/2021/10/11/meet-the-neuroscientists-aiming-to-help-liverpool-thrive-at-set-pieces-by-attaching-electrodes-to-mo-salahs-head

https://www.reddit.com/r/LadiesOfLPGA/s/CnZfb738nP

Edited by JungleJimbo

On 3/15/2024 at 11:46 AM, JungleJimbo said:

I thought folks here might be interested to see Rose Zhang is working with “Neuro 11” (European ‘brain training’ scientists). 

Neuro11 famously did some work with Liverpool FC , I.e. brain training / breathing techniques/ routines to manage stressful situations eg penalty kicks/ free kicks, set piece drills, etc).

https://theathletic.com/2864963/2021/10/11/meet-the-neuroscientists-aiming-to-help-liverpool-thrive-at-set-pieces-by-attaching-electrodes-to-mo-salahs-head

https://www.reddit.com/r/LadiesOfLPGA/s/CnZfb738nP

She's already in Stanford, make use of her degree for brain training (unless they don't teach well there )😈

Seriously though, these days, I don't even know what I have missed in terms of technology, equipment, physiological and psychological training etc. 

I mean, going to university meant studying hard in secondary school, being a good leader and solid extra curricular achievements.  Nowadays, there's educational consultants, prep tests for SATs, etc etc etc.  

Point?  Just do it and play 😈

Back from the dead, Vivian Hou shoots 63 on Epson Tour to vault to 2nd place.  It's a 3 day event with the cut today. 

AP with a roller coaster round but will play tomorrow in hope for a 4 digit payday, let's hope we are using the SHI business card when paying for dinner.

Su Oh still appears to be dead with another MC.  Fellow OZ Cassie Porter looks to wield another T10 and another back to back, strong showing from ex-Duck Heather Lin.

Edited by woahnelly
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, woahnelly said:

Back from the dead, Vivian Hou shoots 63 on Epson Tour to vault to 2nd place.  It's a 3 day event with the cut today. 

AP with a roller coaster round but will play tomorrow in hope for a 4 digit payday, let's hope we are using the SHI business card when paying for dinner.

Su Oh still appears to be dead with another MC.  Fellow OZ Cassie Porter looks to wield another T10 and another back to back, strong showing from ex-Duck Heather Lin.

OHIO gals looking good with the exception of Lizzie Win. 😞

3 hours ago, woahnelly said:

She's played decently of late... won the Taipei Open 2023 in Oct... was dealing with a slew of injuries incl hip and wrist etc.  good to see her hopefully continue to play well

• Like 1

On 3/13/2024 at 10:30 PM, GolfMoose said:

Olympics.  

(Note that the docs in these links say they are as of March 11th but they match the numbers the Rolex site had last week...as of this moment it looks like Ines Laklalech has jumped both Dottie and Dewi....).

It looks like they updated the Olympic documents and Laklalech is now the last qualifier and it is Dewi Weber sitting as the "universal replacement"...except as per the link from woahnelly she (Weber) is sitting in second place in the current Epson tournament which I imagine will jump her back up again. 

Maybe not the most riveting drama for most of us but add in the possibility of Korea increasing back to 3 or 4 player as JungleJimbo flagged and some countries where the specific players aren't locked up yet and this could be an interesting thing to follow particularly with the KPMG and all the points up for grabs there being the last qualifying tournament.

51 minutes ago, GolfMoose said:

....on second thought, given how tight this section of the rankings are, including the current #3 and #4 entrants for the U.S., these next three months could definitely be interesting...

image.png.308a945f6a498ef373dc99480b8bef90.png

There are probably even more players who are in it for the USA and ROK's #3 and #4 spots (if they can get in the top 15).  Given how the rankings weight more recent play (and last year's play loses weight/significance), wins and/or very high finishes can move things quite a bit.  

Obviously, it depends on this year's play, but Jiyai Shin will do well to hang on to a spot in the Top 15.  Rose Zhang has the chance to add points without increasing the divisor.  However, her win and Top 10s in the USWO and KPMG will also be weighted less as the calendar rolls forward.  Not sure if this is a net benefit or headwind for her.

• Like 1

Yewon Lee wins on KLPGA in dramatic fashion and will climb the Rolex Rankings aiming to get in the Olympics discussion will likely need to play and do well in the majors, which she is exempt.

Ex-MSU Bulldog and 3rd year pro Jessica Peng stormed back to win on Epsonland today. There is quite the plethora of Taiwanese talent on the tour, wouldn't surprise me if a couple gain promotion.  

Discussion today about having a mixed team event for the 2028 Olympics.

There had been medals at the Pan-Am games for two competitions but not the latest staging of it in 2023.  The following quote appears in today's article:  "The International Olympic Committee (IOC) tends to frown on awarding two medals from one competition, such as combining scores from individuals into a team medal".  After reading that I went back and realized that it indeed looks like that's how the Pan-Am medals had been awarded, re-use of the mens/ladies event scores, not an actual separate event.

https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/olympic-golf/2024/03/20/olympics-moving-closer-to-adding-mixed-team-event-in-golf-for-la-in-2028-games

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, GolfMoose said:

Discussion today about having a mixed team event for the 2028 Olympics.

There had been medals at the Pan-Am games for two competitions but not the latest staging of it in 2023.  The following quote appears in today's article:  "The International Olympic Committee (IOC) tends to frown on awarding two medals from one competition, such as combining scores from individuals into a team medal".  After reading that I went back and realized that it indeed looks like that's how the Pan-Am medals had been awarded, re-use of the mens/ladies event scores, not an actual separate event.

https://www.pgatour.com/article/news/olympic-golf/2024/03/20/olympics-moving-closer-to-adding-mixed-team-event-in-golf-for-la-in-2028-games

I'd like to see an actual team event that includes foursomes, four-ball, and and/or modified four-ball (similar to the Grant Thornton). Combining scores doesn't quite cut it. 

Maybe reduce the solo competitions to three rounds, and then have a three round mixed event. Not the biggest fan of three round tournaments, but I don't think we'd see the players hang around for an extended period of time. 

• Like 1

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

1 hour ago, JungleJimbo said:

Longer version of the letter: https://www.instagram.com/p/C4xVN95vFDm/?hl=en 

image.png.d16829b6751b017d83c985e8c9bbdcae.png

"hard patches" = covid = stuck in Korea and when came back to Texas home, it was... a mess that she had to clean up, on all fours haha -- seriously though, yes, those rough patches were documented by herself and she was open about it.  The elegance of her "Cartier watch" (on the course) and of her, of course , I'll remember for sure.  (certainly no DK in terms of outfit LOL)

And I'm sure people agree her English has improved so much that I wonder if she's decided to stay put in the US (see you guys in Houston =???) 

3 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

This seemed inevitable, while following So Yeon on Instagram in recent months. Almost nothing regarding golf. Lots of reflective posts and Instagram stories, seemingly trying to talk herself into being happy. Most of the time it looked like she was stuck in a Korean high rise. 

I doubt she will stay in the USA. Isn't Chevron in Houston? That's the see you in Houston, her final event. Maybe her eligibility is running out from that 2017 victory in Palm Springs.

It's too bad she didn't make the Olympics in 2016. That was more or less an oddity of the calendar. So Yeon was with the qualifying Koreans for years prior to that, and not long afterward. A brief downturn coinciding with others surging before the qualification cutoff kept her off the team. Her great friend Inbee ended up winning.

Her two majors were come from behind wins in playoffs, and with a bit of help. I remember the Supermodel missed some putts that could have clinched the 2010 US Open. Then obviously the Lexi penalty years later. But So Yeon was clutch both times. The approach to 18 in 2010 regulation was probably the signature shot of her career. 

So classy and elegant. For a while the Golf Channel was doing a brief Wednesday practice round walk and talk before certain events. Not many. West Coast for Eastern prime time.  It always seemed like they made sure So Yeon Ryu was in those televised groups, to be interviewed by Jerry Foltz.

That one major got away, when she was in peak form and led almost all week, before inexplicably pulling an iron into the water on a par 3. It was basically the one place you couldn't miss. But I had noticed that pull tendency from the first time I followed So Yeon extensively, while finishing second to Na Yeon Choi at Naples CME 2012.

That tournament was also the debut of Michelle Wie's tabletop putting style. I remember seeing that well out onto the course and being stunned at what I was looking at. I came back here and struggled to describe it. I think I wrote torso parallel to the ground. Since it was the final event of the season and Michelle was not in contention that week the media didn't report on it or know about it. Months later during the next season it was full time and Golf Channel etc. tried to pretend it was brand new. 

Nice post.  I agree on the 2016 Olympics and 2018 KPMG.

I think her exemption into the Chevron is for life (maybe some age limit?).  Last year, she was exempt into the Chevron, USWO (Special Exemption), and Evian (prior year's finish) but not the KPMG or AIG Women's Open.  This year, it would have only been the Chevron.  Likely, the belief is why keep playing if you aren't going to put in the time on one's game (I also think her interest in or dedication to top play had drifted in recent years).

Likewise, I doubt she will stay in the US.