2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 LPGA Season Odds and Ends

1 hour ago, bobfoster said:

"As my old Korean college roommate would say "Ladies watch men's soccer and men watch ladies golf." 😂

Totally. I'm dating a Taiwan woman right now. Been playing golf for two years. I thought I was focused (I run a damn corporation). She is scary focused. Learning a lot from that mentality, she is already close to a single digit cap.

And yeah, I watch women's golf. Was watching this girl tonight. I want this release (watch her hands in slo-mo). I so wish I could swing so seemingly effortlessly. How can a girl so young have a swing so smooth?

That sounds fun. My wife is half Taiwanese, athletic but not good hand eye coordination for golf, better at reactive sports. maybe been to local pitch and putt twice with me but at least will watch on the TV together, judging their fashion choices and finds it relaxing 😴😴

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Is "billet" = "host family"? 

IIRC ... @North Texas has experience with being either a WAPT tournament organiser/ volunteer/ host-family for some of the tournament players?

This article Link i shared had some comments from Epson Tour (ex-Symetra) players.

https://www.golfwrx.com/664995/former-lpga-pro-shares-detailed-breakdown-of-expenses-for-a-year-on-symetra-tour/ 

...Quote: "Former LPGA professional Anya Alvarez has since praised Gregg for speaking up on the topic and subsequently produced a very interesting breakdown of her expenses for a year of playing on the Symetra Tour. ...It’s worth noting that the figures are from almost 9 years ago, and as she wrote on Twitter to accompany the breakdown, Alvarez said, “I drove to 90% of events, stayed with host families, and often didn’t have a caddie. LPGA expenses were much more.” 

Our club has hosted a WAPT event for 4-5 years now and my wife was/is responsible for enlisting all volunteers including host families for the girls. But what is really interesting is how few of the girls don't stay with host families. I mean it's free lodging and free meals and I would guess maybe only 25% of them take advantage of it.

Man, you want to talk about some girls that have to be struggling with finances. There are girls on this tour who have been playing several years, who despite missing way more cuts than they make, are still out there. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, North Texas said:

Our club has hosted a WAPT event for 4-5 years now and my wife was/is responsible for enlisting all volunteers including host families for the girls. But what is really interesting is how few of the girls don't stay with host families. I mean it's free lodging and free meals and I would guess maybe only 25% of them take advantage of it.

Man, you want to talk about some girls that have to be struggling with finances. There are girls on this tour who have been playing several years, who despite missing way more cuts than they make, are still out there. 

I get it. If you got the wrong host family, it might just be a hassle you want to avoid. I'd pay my own way if I could afford it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Raving Shanker said:

I get it. If you got the wrong host family, it might just be a hassle you want to avoid. I'd pay my own way if I could afford it.

For sure there have been times that there were "hassles" but it's been pretty rare. And unless momma and daddy are paying for it, the number of girls on the WAPT who can afford to pay their own way is very small. 

1 hour ago, MagicClassic407 said:

Does anyone else find it amusing that while the LPGA is making an Asian swing, the LET will be playing in Florida? 

Star Trek Reaction GIF

So far Lexi and Charley Hull are confirmed for the Aramco Florida event. Maybe Nelly? 🤔

Seems like a haphazard predicament to fly half way around the world to China for a full field event and coming home with $0

2 Chainz Pockets GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST

I glad the players can earn more money these days.  But like the men's tour, the quality of the events is declining.  Not necessarily the quality of play by a handful of players in any given week, but the collective power of a field on average.  Of course, the majors and few others (tournament name and scheduling) still have the same pull as before.  But it is falling off fast after that.

39 minutes ago, Titleist_PT23 said:

I glad the players can earn more money these days.  But like the men's tour, the quality of the events is declining.  Not necessarily the quality of play by a handful of players in any given week, but the collective power of a field on average.  Of course, the majors and few others (tournament name and scheduling) still have the same pull as before.  But it is falling off fast after that.

The winter and early spring events have generally had mediocre fields. Throw in the larger purses of late and more players are sitting out until the tournaments leading up to the Chevron. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

51 minutes ago, Titleist_PT23 said:

It's diff on the womens game because the top players are scattered across different leagues, 30 of the top 100 year end of 2023 Rolex Rankings did not even play on the LPGA.  The LET PIF+Aramco events are trying to be the happy medium to unite the top players.

The men's game is now condensed to one tour and exhibition golf.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

The winter and early spring events have generally had mediocre fields. Throw in the larger purses of late and more players are sitting out until the tournaments leading up to the Chevron. 

They were never at max capacity, but I think they were better before.  Even during the season, there are (more?) players missing here and there because they play elsewhere.  A comment in another thread doesn't really show the LET event being the bridge that brings everyone together (Rolex points down big year over year)?  At least they weren't playing with amateurs this past week (please correct if this is wrong).

On 2/10/2024 at 11:17 AM, bobfoster said:

This may sound a bit weird, but I wonder whether the success of so many Korean women on tour has something to do with the family structure. The America family has been falling apart (or at least weakening) for a couple decades. I have spent a lot of time (on business) in Asia, and the family structure is extremely strong - relatively speaking. I currently live next to an Indian family. And have for six or seven years. Watched their daughter start getting into tennis. Then really got into it. She's now approaching her mid teens, and is steadily climbing up the amateur rankings. She really wants to go pro someday. But the support she gets is stunning to watch. Her folks drive her to practice for two or three hours almost every day. Seems like every other weekend they drive her to a tournament of some sort (I know this - I watch their dog in exchange for great food ... 😅). They are not just supportive, they are almost obsessively supportive. Occurs to me that this girl will never need to worry about tournament or travel fees. she'll never drive by herself to tournaments and stay in horrible hotels. She isn't doing it alone, she is doing it while standing on an amazingly strong family foundation. 

Yes, this is tennis not golf, but I suspect something similar applies. This sort of culture is common (in my experience) in Japan as well, China, South Korea and etc. You aren't out there just doing it yourself. That article from @JungleJimbo was interesting, but almost sad. Isolated girls living a hard life on the road with no support system behind them. 

I am not certain this is relevant, or how relevant it is. It is just something that occurred to me tonight when I read that article. No Korean woman would have written it. You don't do things alone, you do them with your family. You travel with a built in fan base, that cheers you when you succeed, and soothes you during down times. It isn't just financial support, they freaking go to all your tournaments. (Parenthetically? Tiger had that - yeah, his Dad was black, but his mother - and support system - was distinctly Asian in nature.) 

Hope it is okay to say all this. Just observations. You are spot on correct - Q School fees are outrageous - but I'd be willing to bet very few Korean woman would need to worry about them. 

Strange ruminations on a winter night. 

You can Google Shannon Tan Straits Times and there is an article about her.  There are certainly some Western families that are all in on a child's athletic dreams as well, although generally speaking there is a difference in family structure across cultures.  Many parents, in both places, have also probably had too much meddling in kids' lives (athletics or otherwise).  There's a fine line, and it's a tough act to juggle...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Titleist_PT23 said:

You can Google Shannon Tan Straits Times and there is an article about her.  There are certainly some Western families that are all in on a child's athletic dreams as well, although generally speaking there is a difference in family structure across cultures.  Many parents, in both places, have also probably had too much meddling in kids' lives (athletics or otherwise).  There's a fine line, and it's a tough act to juggle...

Shannon Tan recently won her first pro tournament on (LET Kenya). 

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/shannon-tan-s-parents-quit-their-jobs-moved-to-australia-to-support-her-golfing-dreams 

image.png.dec77522feffd67cd5b6770e22212f99.png

Shannon Tan’s parents quit their jobs, moved to Australia to support her golfing dreams

Kimberly KwekFebruary 17, 2024

WhatsApp20Image202024-02-1520at2011.22.46.jpeg?itok=9OFroUW0

SINGAPORE – As Singaporean golfer Shannon Tan completed the final round of the Magical Kenya Ladies Open on Feb 11, her father Desmond Tan was following the action closely from the live stream thousands of kilometres away.

It took five hours for the 19-year-old to seal a historic victory at the tournament as she became Singapore’s first winner on the Ladies European Tour (LET), but for Mr Tan and his family, it was a moment years in the making.

Mr Tan and his wife Winnie Cheonghave had to make some major decisions for their family in support of their daughter’s golfing career.

The first came about seven years ago when their only child asked to move to Australia to pursue golf.

After some considering and believing it would benefit her, Mr Tan and Ms Cheong, who worked in the semiconductor industry and as an office support staff member respectively, quit their jobs to relocate the family to the Gold Coast.

Mr Tan, 51, said: “It was a big decision but I was happy she wanted to further develop and pursue golf; that’s why I do feel happy that she initiated that move as well.”

The social golfer had introduced his daughter to the game when she was five, thinking it could be a bonding activity for the pair.

“At that moment, she was enjoying everything as long as it was outdoors, but for golf, she didn’t feel bored,” noted Mr Tan, who now freelances in various sectors.

“For some kids, hitting balls can become quite boring after 30 minutes, but for her, she was still enjoying it after two hours, whether it was putting, chipping or hitting.”

Tan progressed steadily through the age groups and gave the first glimpse of her potential when she won an interschool tournament in Primary 5.

She was smaller than most in the field and her lean build limited how far she could hit, but Mr Tan recalled how her short game propelled her to an unexpected win.

He applied what he read about biomechanics by exposing her to different sports such as running, football and tennis, to help her in her development as a golfer.

But even then, he was cautious about putting too much emphasis on results.

He said: “Sustainability for kids is very important. At some point, if the results don’t turn out well, there may be a loss of interest...

“Building the basic foundation was another key area – there was no rush to get results and she was enjoying the process.”

Shannon201_2.jpeg?itok=_JqIMQDp
Shannon Tan was introduced to golf by her father Desmond at the age of five. PHOTO: COURTESY OF DESMOND TAN

Then came the move to Australia. Mr Tan acknowledged it came with risks but they were ready to take that leap to support her dreams.

He said: “Financial stability is a key challenge because it’s a long journey and we do not know what will happen, but if you don’t step it up, you won’t know the outcome.

“There’s no harm in giving it a try and it all turned out to be well eventually… But at that moment, you couldn’t predict all these things, so it was a risk.”

With the yearly fee at country clubs for junior members averaging about $500, Mr Tan registered his daughter as a member in three to four different clubs, giving her access to different facilities in Australia.

But they were also careful about their spending. Instead of engaging a coach throughout the year, Tan would have a few sessions with a swing and short-game coach and a physiotherapist every quarter.

Her father also built a gym in their home for less than $1,000 and took up a diploma in golf management with the PGA International Golf Institute to understand the golf system in Australia.

Tan paid tribute to the sacrifices her parents made, saying: “They’re probably one of the biggest supports I’ve had. To move to Australia when I was 14, it was a very big move, but it probably had the biggest impact on my game in a good way... They’ve done a lot (for me).”

While she may still be a teenager, her independence was highlighted by Mr Tan.

He and his wife left it up to her to make the decision to withdraw from Texas Tech University, where she was on a sports scholarship, to turn professional after she earned her full LET card in December.

Whenever he watches her tournaments in person, Mr Tan often does not follow her through her round, catching her only at the first and last holes.

In between, he watches other golfers, observing how they navigate certain situations, analysing their swings and noticing certain aspects like how they score birdies, which he sometimes shares with his daughter.

Mr Tan and his wife meet her only two to three times a year, but they are happy to see her forging her path.

He said: “The sacrifice of quitting our jobs turned out to be a good decision because she was young – we did it at the right time and were also able to spend time with her then.

“Now she’s considered an adult, she has her own circle of friends, her own life. We’ve spent the past 10 years with her and that was nice.”

• Additional reporting by Rohit Brijnath

Edited by JungleJimbo

5 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

Shannon Tan recently won her first pro tournament on (LET Kenya). 

https://www.straitstimes.com/sport/shannon-tan-s-parents-quit-their-jobs-moved-to-australia-to-support-her-golfing-dreams 

image.png.dec77522feffd67cd5b6770e22212f99.png

tha

Singaporeans in general are very "kiasu" (don't want to lose to anyone) - so imagine the pressure of the kids to achieve (I generalize but I speak based on observation of the majority - eg the majority of them that I know, and I'm sure even themselves would acknowledge the majority are extremely competitive).

Translate that into everything -- don't want to lose in academics, sports etc.   Can't blame them for they're a small country that had little resources and had to survive on their own after being expelled from Malaya.  LKY (Lee Kuan Yew) led the nation and I have a feeling that the success led to this type of mentality -- nothing wrong with it -- just need to find balance... the younger generations are slowly "letting go" and easing up but it will not wane to a minority (eg kiasu feeling).   So yes, driven to succeed at all costs -- hard to argue for it nor against it.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, woahnelly said:

Which rookie class will have the most wins in 2024?

2015 - Sei Young Kim, Minjee Lee, Brooke Henderson, Charley Hull, Hyo Joo Kim, Ariya Jutanagarn, Alison Lee

2022 - Atthaya Thitikul, Ayaka Furue, Linn Grant, Allisen Corpuz, Ruoning Yin, Maja Stark, Hye Jin Choi

Will Lilia Vu and Céline Boutier combined = have more wins than either of these 2015 and 2022 rookie classes?

• Haha 1