Colorado WRX 2024

The problem with watching the PGA Tour isn't the slow play, it's that the networks stay on one guy for 2 minutes while he goes through his whole routine. I can understand when it's the last few groups at the end of the day and there is nothing else to show. When it's any other time, go show another shot instead of watching the player argue with his caddie over a 124y or 126y wedge shot from the middle of the fairway on hole 5. There is plenty of other golf to be showing.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, j4663535 said:

The problem with watching the PGA Tour isn't the slow play, it's that the networks stay on one guy for 2 minutes while he goes through his whole routine. I can understand when it's the last few groups at the end of the day and there is nothing else to show. When it's any other time, go show another shot instead of watching the player argue with his caddie over a 124y or 126y wedge shot from the middle of the fairway on hole 5. There is plenty of other golf to be showing.

That is one area where LIV is dramatically better in switching between actual golf shots. The legacy networks seem to flip it to player X without any concern of whether they are actually ready to hit or not.

And the number 1 complaint I have for all legacy network golf is don't show me a < 3 foot putt unless it is someone in the top 3 late on Sunday. If it is a leader at any other point, you can show it if they miss and always on tape delay.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2024 at 9:51 PM, deadsolid...shank said:

That sounds like fun. I’ve only played with a couple people from here, and thats  been several years ago. Be nice to put faces with some names. Sounds like several good players too (and a bagger too!😀)

Fully Agree..... we will have to figure something out since @Dancin is such a bagger 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dancin said:

That is one area where LIV is dramatically better in switching between actual golf shots. The legacy networks seem to flip it to player X without any concern of whether they are actually ready to hit or not.

And the number 1 complaint I have for all legacy network golf is don't show me a < 3 foot putt unless it is someone in the top 3 late on Sunday. If it is a leader at any other point, you can show it if they miss and always on tape delay.

I agree.  That is the one thing LIV does better is show a ton of shots.  The broadcast still needs work, but I do like they are showing shots of all players.   

10 hours ago, Dancin said:

True but you shouldn't have to. Being able to play fast should be a required skill and tournaments should be set up to test that skill.

I am so surprised that the energizer bunny would recommend this approach!

Seriously though, reality says otherwise. I think expecting any tournament round to be fast unless you're first out is a fools errand that only hurts your own attitude.

When I think about it logically: if you spend more than 5 seconds reading a putt you're more likely to read it better. In other words, if you take a little longer you're more likely to make that putt. Since this is a game of least shots then of course people are going to play slower when every shot matters. This incentive will not change unless you full-on make a speed golf league where actual time has a scoring component.

IMO, If you want to play other tournaments then it's best to save your mental energy towards dealing with it than changing it. You'll play better golf and you will have a better time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Joelness said:

Seriously though, reality says otherwise. I think expecting any tournament round to be fast unless you're first out is a fools errand that only hurts your own attitude.

When I think about it logically: if you spend more than 5 seconds reading a putt you're more likely to read it better. In other words, if you take a little longer you're more likely to make that putt. Since this is a game of least shots then of course people are going to play slower when every shot matters. This incentive will not change unless you full-on make a speed golf league where actual time has a scoring component.

IMO, If you want to play other tournaments then it's best to save your mental energy towards dealing with it than changing it. You'll play better golf and you will have a better time.

You lost me at "reading putts"   🤪

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Joelness said:

I get this argument but every other sport has a time component.  Basketball has a shot clock, football has a play clock, heck even chess has a time clock.  Would chess players do better and make better moves if they had more time to examine the board and figure out their and the opponents next moves?  Of course!  But making those decisions under time pressure, shooting that 3 when the shot clock is expiring, those are all parts of the game, and it should be in golf too.  

I also completely agree that with how things are now wasting energy towards that is a waste and you definitely have to know how to deal with slow play and waiting to hit a hot longer than you may like to. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ASak10 said:

I get this argument but every other sport has a time component.  Basketball has a shot clock, football has a play clock, heck even chess has a time clock.  Would chess players do better and make better moves if they had more time to examine the board and figure out their and the opponents next moves?  Of course!  But making those decisions under time pressure, shooting that 3 when the shot clock is expiring, those are all parts of the game, and it should be in golf too.  

I also completely agree that with how things are now wasting energy towards that is a waste and you definitely have to know how to deal with slow play and waiting to hit a hot longer than you may like to. 

Don't know how you could ever do it but the pros should have a chess clock situation. Some situations/ rulings/ tricky shots may demand more time and I'm fine if that needs to happen. Where this gets sticky is when the guys start doing that on every shot. Not sure on implementation but it would solve the problem and still allow some wiggle room if you had an allotted amount of time to be spread out throughout your round.

• Like 2

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, ASak10 said:

I would love it if everyone played faster in tournaments and believe me, I'm not arguing otherwise. I'm just trying to stimulate some next level thinking as well since those of us here on the forum are extremely unlikely to change the pace we get now.

Edited by Joelness
  • Like 3

Most sports with shot clocks are to keep one team from having the ball for the whole game - get a 2 point lead in BB and then never shoot again... or imagine never taking a snap in football with guys just standing there until the half/game ends.  🙂  10 frames in bowling, 9 innings, however many wickets in cricket, 18 holes, stones in curling, every running or racing sport is untimed, etc.  Some chess matches are untimed.

The new pitch clock in baseball is interesting since it was put in place just for the fans and to help the game appeal to new folks.  The players hate it and it likely has made pitching worse in the short term - this will even back out when players who never knew otherwise start to come up (been pitch clock in the minors for a while now.)  TV and attendance numbers are up with faster games, so I guess that it is working.  This might be an interesting study for all other sports as time goes on if MLB continues to get new fans...  As one of the dwindling true baseball fans left around, I love the pitch clock.

• Like 2

I went to a Rockies game last year, and the pitch clock is such a game-changer. I actually paid more attention to the game and not talk as much with my co-workers (except between innings)--plus the game went by so quickly that we had time to go to a bar hang out and talk even more.

• Like 1

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Posted (edited)

So all this talk on pace of play. 

I played all weekend. Playing fast (4 hrs or less) is soooo nice. 

The rounds prior this year have been so slow.

What I notice is honestly people don't care.  They are oblivious to others, etiquette what is considered normal in golf does not exist. 

This weekend two groups up the gps  locked the carts up. 

They where stuck yet the group in front of us apologized for them and after the round so did the group who had the cart issue.   

Neither group had to at all as it was a glich...but they were considerate of everyone around them.  You don't see that locally 

Edited by CDM
  • Like 2

Played Ute this morning, went off at 7:50 and played in 3:58. That was after stopping for 5 minutes in a tunnel with the storms rolling through. The 3some in front of us was a full hole in front of us. The group behind us was at least 2 holes behind. The last we saw them, we were walking up 11s fairway and they were just finishing 9. It was gonna be a long day for anyone playing later in the day today.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, j4663535 said:

Played Ute this morning, went off at 7:50 and played in 3:58. That was after stopping for 5 minutes in a tunnel with the storms rolling through. The 3some in front of us was a full hole in front of us. The group behind us was at least 2 holes behind. The last we saw them, we were walking up 11s fairway and they were just finishing 9. It was gonna be a long day for anyone playing later in the day today.

How was Ute playing? I used to play there at least 6-10 times a season but have backed off because of the online prepay booking. I'm still in their system, so if I call and book, I can pay the day of play, but I have been pretty much bouncing between Indian Peaks, Walnut, and Riverdale so far this year. I like Ute though

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, stoneydukes said:

How was Ute playing? I used to play there at least 6-10 times a season but have backed off because of the online prepay booking. I'm still in their system, so if I call and book, I can pay the day of play, but I have been pretty much bouncing between Indian Peaks, Walnut, and Riverdale so far this year. I like Ute though

It's in real good shape right now. The greens were probably the best I've ever seen them out there. They were rolling pretty quick and very pure, also pretty firm. Hole 3 still has a lot of patches from the issues it's had the past couple years though. Fairways had some patches that weren't great but not really in the landing areas. All those areas were all marked as GUR too. 

I've always liked Ute but the rounds are always so slow there when you get into the prime tee times. Yea, the prepaying sucks but we always just call and book.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ute is pretty decent.  Greens are pretty good and rolling true.  The kids are starting to get out there to work, so they are tidying up bunkers and stuff.  The spread a bunch of manure last fall to the problem areas where they struggle to grow grass - it has helped in these areas a lot.  Range is still terrible.

Ute is usually pretty quick if you tee off before 10:00 on a weekend at around 4:00 to 4:15.  After this, it can get slow.  You don't really want to go out with the rabbits before 7:30 each with their own carts and blue flags, or else if you stop to rake a bunker or return a divot, the other three will be done with the hole standing by the green waiting and passing judgement on you.  🙂  They are stupidly annoyingly fast like there is money on the line with the time.

I am often just a single, so I just go up there and wait for somebody not to come - rarely takes more than 30-40 minutes.  I avoid weekends after about 10-11:00.  Once Memorial Day passes, the place is not as busy, it seems.  It has been empty all week with the wind - I live on 7 and can see out there... lots of fair weather players it seems.

• Like 2

My legs would fall off.

• Haha 2

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

Posted (edited)

I did it at Bandon two days in a row carrying my bag for 2 of the 3 rounds. Wild Horse is fairly flat. Commonground has more elevation change from the pictures/video I have seen. But if it is a hot or very windy day I could see taking a cart for the 3rd round.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 1

On 5/12/2024 at 4:34 PM, CDM said:

So all this talk on pace of play. 

I played all weekend. Playing fast (4 hrs or less) is soooo nice. 

The rounds prior this year have been so slow.

What I notice is honestly people don't care.  They are oblivious to others, etiquette what is considered normal in golf does not exist. 

This weekend two groups up the gps  locked the carts up. 

They where stuck yet the group in front of us apologized for them and after the round so did the group who had the cart issue.   

Neither group had to at all as it was a glich...but they were considerate of everyone around them.  You don't see that locally 

This is what it takes. It's a culture thing and it really relies on the people in each group to hold the slow ones accountable.

1 hour ago, Dancin said:

Is 54 holes in one day at Wild Horse too much? Already snagged a tee time at 7 and 12 for when I am going. From watching tee times I assume afternoons are less busy and with after 9pm sunset, 54 holes should easily be doable.

Living up to the nickname. Speaking of, one of the coaches of the D2 teams i watched in Hawaii said he did a 100 hole day at Ballyneal once. He mentioned it because I wore my shirt that day to watch the ladies.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Joelness said:

Living up to the nickname. Speaking of, one of the coaches of the D2 teams i watched in Hawaii said he did a 100 hole day at Ballyneal once. He mentioned it because I wore my shirt that day to watch the ladies.

Assuming the weather is good: At least 27 holes at my place on the way up on Friday, 54 sat at wild horse, Awarii dunes Sun morning and then either another 18 at Meadowlark Hills or Wild Horse on the way home.

The guy who started the hundred hole hike charity is a a founding member. They've done it out there two times I am aware of. Usually in late June on a weekday during the longest days of the year. Start at about 4 am and swap shoes and socks after every round. They have caddies volunteering to help them for most of the rounds and go with half bags when not. They aren't necessarily running, but they were mostly single digit handicaps and didn't dawdle. PB&J sandwiches on 1 tee. One guy did 171 holes.

Edited by Dancin
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Dancin said:

Assuming the weather is good: At least 27 holes at my place on the way up on Friday, 54 sat at wild horse, Awarii dunes Sun morning and then either another 18 at Meadowlark Hills or Wild Horse on the way home.

The guy who started the hundred hole hike charity is a a founding member. They're done it out there two times I am aware of. Usually in late June on a weekday during the longest days of the year. Start at about 4 am and swap shoes and socks after every round. They have caddies volunteering to help them for most of the rounds and go with half bags when not. They aren't necessarily running, but they were mostly single digit handicaps and didn't dawdle. PB&J sandwiches on 1 tee. One guy did 171 holes.

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

Respect

Edited by Joelness

6 minutes ago, Joelness said:

I need to bring up something deeply personal ATM in regard to my golf game.

How many of you guys have noticed the ebbs and flows of your game? From someone that's practicing/playing every day it's insane.

I would say I noticed it a lot last year where it was almost a perfect four week cycle where I would shoot under par 50%-60% of the time for a month and then I would go through a month where it felt like it fell apart and I couldn't get anything done.

Definitely noticeable especially when playing a lot. If I stop all golf related activity for 1.5-2 weeks I'm usually back in shape and good to go with a below handicap round the first time back out. I have no clue how the top 30 pros can bang that many balls and stay at least good enough to keep making cuts as long as they do.

• Like 2