2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

2024 HSBC Women's World Championship (Feb 29 - Mar 03)

18 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

Freakin' love that.

• Like 4

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

On 3/3/2024 at 3:47 PM, JungleJimbo said:

I've not heard this 'nickname'(?) w.r.t. Mi Hyang before! 

Is this due to her penchant for wearing earmuffs on the golf courses in Korea? 

image.png.5006df519ef01f153a36a25a3d129669.png

Id never heard it either

Seems fair though. Tough not to sound like a seedy old man here BUT

In interviews and on course, MiHyang has such a lovely personality/ disposition, as well as being pretty cute aesthetically. 

I dunno ….she seems like such a decent person , and is easy to root for . 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, QueenJIN said:

Id never heard it either

Seems fair though. Tough not to sound like a seedy old man here BUT

In interviews and on course, MiHyang has such a lovely personality/ disposition, as well as being pretty cute aesthetically. 

I dunno ….she seems like such a decent person , and is easy to root for . 

MiHyang appears to be "everyone's best friend"? a.k.a. part of an LPGA Korean informal girl-squad known as "CHEM"

"CHEM" = an acronym for the following:

Chella
Hyo Joo
Eun Hee
Mi Hyang

image.png.13e2440ea45b076dac925cae664530d4.png

@QueenJIN: You might enjoy this light-hearted video...

...i wonder whether Lee MiHyang still uses the same Odyssey "Tank" putter (or similar) shown in this video? With a 13(?) or 17(?)-inch extra-long superstroke putter grip?

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JungleJimbo said:

MiHyang appears to be "everyone's best friend"? a.k.a. part of an LPGA Korean informal girl-squad known as "CHEM"

"CHEM" = an acronym for the following:

Chella
Hyo Joo
Eun Hee
Mi Hyang

image.png.13e2440ea45b076dac925cae664530d4.png

@QueenJIN: You might enjoy this light-hearted video...

...i wonder whether Lee MiHyang still uses the same Odyssey "Tank" putter (or similar) shown in this video? With a 13(?) or 17(?)-inch extra-long superstroke putter grip?

Best part : her little tee hee heehee when she started 🤣

59 minutes ago, Jonnyuk74 said:

With the complete car crash of a men's game I wonder the same.. 🤔

Theres a fair bit of chauvinism going on. Plus a preference for the power game. I think those and other reasons, plus limited downtime  prevent people for giving the LPGA a chance . It’s definitely a shame. I enjoy the DP and PGA tours but the LPGA is easily my favourite  . The players are just so much more interesting and diverse . I also like the Korean dominance (currently fading) side story 

also have no issue finding my villains . Vu, Lexi, Buhai …to name a few can get in the sea 😝

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Argonne69 said:

Enjoyed the course and the tournament. Glad to see a course that is tough, but fair. Tricky greens, and challenging up and downs. Only one player in sixteen editions has managed 20 under.

Just note, the tournament has now been played on three different courses.  The most recent course, The Tanjong (Sentosa), has been the venue since 2017.  The winning scores are -19, -17, -15, -17, -17, -17, -13.

Some luck around the conditions may swing things here and there.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2024 at 10:21 PM, Shakeshook said:

i noticed that usually with Hannah's wins, it was Sue or Grace that's there throwing the champagne with Minjee nowhere to be found... (again I am not 100% sure but that's why i mentioned Sue on my other post)

Minjee paired with both Steph K and Sarah Kemp in the international crown last year, but not once with Hannah. I think there must be some kind of "issue" between them

• Like 1

8 hours ago, QueenJIN said:

Theres a fair bit of chauvinism going on. Plus a preference for the power game. I think those and other reasons, plus limited downtime  prevent people for giving the LPGA a chance . It’s definitely a shame. I enjoy the DP and PGA tours but the LPGA is easily my favourite  . The players are just so much more interesting and diverse . I also like the Korean dominance (currently fading) side story 

also have no issue finding my villains . Vu, Lexi, Buhai …to name a few can get in the sea 😝

Yeah I agree with all of that, having watched the women's game far more closely over the last 18 months and even attended a couple of events, I've found it so much more relatable to the average golfer. Seeing how good you can be with similar power that I have myself, but with soooo much more accuracy and a killer short game is very watchable I think. I love it!  LIV is just ridiculous, in fact the only way it would be more relevant and ground breaking would be to add some female players?!! 😲

• Like 3

6 hours ago, kool-aid said:

Minjee paired with both Steph K and Sarah Kemp in the international crown last year, but not once with Hannah. I think there must be some kind of "issue" between them

Entirely possible.  On the other hand, with two "stars" ranked top 20 and two other ladies perhaps closer to #100, you could see not pairing the two bigger names as a strategy, particularly in the semi/final where the format would have meant the two lower ranked ladies playing singles.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kool-aid said:

maybe not "issue" just a "not my kinda partner" vibe but nothing more than that... minjee's crowd is lydia etc...  hannah's "crowd" is different - grace etc.  it's strange bec minjee and hannah are both from perth.

5 hours ago, Jonnyuk74 said:

LIV is just ridiculous, in fact the only way it would be more relevant and ground breaking would be to add some female players?!! 😲

That would be pretty cool actually, but I get a feeling that would be the end of the LPGA as we know it.

Maybe LIV could round up all the female YouTubers, and Instagolfers and sign them up

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ChronicSlicer said:

That would be pretty cool actually, but I get a feeling that would be the end of the LPGA as we know it.

Maybe LIV could round up all the female YouTubers, and Instagolfers and sign them up

15 hours ago, Jonnyuk74 said:

LIV is just ridiculous, in fact the only way it would be more relevant and ground breaking would be to add some female players?!! 😲

4 minutes ago, QueenJIN said:

*gentle reminder who funds LIV*

@Jonnyuk74's observation to "add some female players" (e.g. LPGA/ LET pros?) is intriguing (am assuming that he's not suggesting to include female youtubers such as Mia Baker etc?)

Re youtubers ... Google "Performance 54" i.e. significant shareholder for many youtubers already  

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Jonnyuk74's observation to "add some female players" (e.g. LPGA/ LET pros?) is intriguing (am assuming that he's not suggesting to include female youtubers such as Mia Baker etc?)

Re youtubers ... Google "Performance 54" i.e. significant shareholder for many youtubers already  

Well I was meaning to "buy" the best in the game from the LPGA or indeed the LET.. and then have them competing of different tees of course each event would actually be a very good watch. But as mentioned, it would be at the total detriment of the women's game as a whole.  But money always has the last word it seems so who knows what's round the corner. But my opinion hasn't changed on the men side, the likes of Garcia, Rahm etc should be shut out now of the Ryder cup in future, they made there bed...

• Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 6:03 PM, jt2gt said:

What the heck. One of my favs wins and I turned it off early and didn’t even watch the replay thinking Boutier had it all the way. Don’t get me wrong I don’t mind Boutier but HG is one of my all timers. Damn that will teach me. Wow…so pissed at myself. 😁

Quoting myself here…anyone know where I can watch the end of final round online or streaming. Tried to find last night but no luck. Keeping myself in the dark here to see how HG pulls this out. Pretty easy to do with LPGA golf. 😂

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, jt2gt said:

Quoting myself here…anyone know where I can watch the end of final round online or streaming. Tried to find last night but no luck. Keeping myself in the dark here to see how HG pulls this out. Pretty easy to do with LPGA golf. 😂

Probably not going to have any luck finding the full broadcast, but the final round highlights on YouTube sum it up nicely. 

Edited by Argonne69

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

2 hours ago, Shakeshook said:

Guess I was wrong! Minjee just scooted off, no issues at all with Hannah. Minjee is just really, an introvert.  Clearly it shows here.  No way we will truly know what Minjee is outside of golf lol. Min Woo OTOH

@Shakeshook thanks for sharing this MinJee/MinWoo video.

Also...Glad we have team events such as the International Crown, to get a behind-the-scenes peek at the individual dynamics

Edited by JungleJimbo
  • Like 1

On 3/4/2024 at 5:53 PM, ChronicSlicer said:

Diverse yes, interesting, I'm up in the air on that one. 

Quoting this for its truthiness. This forum is mostly frequented by a decent sized but consistent group of usual suspects, so it's a little strange that surprise about the popularity of women's golf comes up so often. Women's golf is sooooooooo different than any other sport that it's simply not going to draw eyes the way many others do.

Let's discuss how the product is presented. On average, you have relatively subdued players making relatively subdued strikes at the ball--in comparison to the energy showcased in other sports--then making relatively subdued celebrations when they pull off even amazing shots in many cases, highlighted by results called by subdued commentators who wouldn't set off the whisper alarms guarding a museum treasure if a viper found its way into the booth. "Would you look at that? A Boomslang seems to be coming towards us. Well, we'll get back to you all once we're out of the hospital. Do enjoy the rest of the broadcast."

The intro music and announcer read help to hype PGA events from the start, and women's golf is at a disadvantage there when their events either aren't featured on CBS/NBC or they don't use the main announcers for those network's events to handle the lead in and recaps. Listen to the tempo, cadence, and other differences and ask which you think is more likely to get the attention of the average person or avid sports fan used to watching other things. It comes across as though they're trying to cater to very different demographics, which is likely the case.

Now, if they focused on more highlights showing the crowd responses for bigger events and players like Hull who are more animated and interviews with players like Patty Tavatankit who are personable and honest, heck, the numbers would probably grow quite nicely. One thing to consider, though. Do those of you who want women's golf to be more popular actually want that? Do you want idiots yelling "mashed potatoes" and "show me your butthole" and making moans after shots the way they are at men's events? Do you want drunks in banana sling wrap around swimwear dancing in the background? Do you want venues were the fans can't be right up along the ropes interacting with the ladies regularly because the women no longer feel safe? Do you want full police presence to be a must as it is at all PGA events now? If you all get your wish and the women's tours suddenly become the place to be seen like some of the men's PGA stops things will be very, very different than they are now.

I often wonder as well if the women who say they want bigger purses realize what having the eyeballs required to do that will actually mean for the sport. I don't think most of the ladies out there are built to deal with an influx of mainstream sports fans. I don't think most tuning in to women's golf want the smoke that comes with being the hotness.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

Quoting this for its truthiness. This forum is mostly frequented by a decent sized but consistent group of usual suspects, so it's a little strange that surprise about the popularity of women's golf comes up so often. Women's golf is sooooooooo different than any other sport that it's simply not going to draw eyes the way many others do.

Let's discuss how the product is presented. On average, you have relatively subdued players making relatively subdued strikes at the ball--in comparison to the energy showcased in other sports--then making relatively subdued celebrations when they pull off even amazing shots in many cases, highlighted by results called by subdued commentators who wouldn't set off the whisper alarms guarding a museum treasure if a viper found its way into the booth. "Would you look at that? A Boomslang seems to be coming towards us. Well, we'll get back to you all once we're out of the hospital. Do enjoy the rest of the broadcast."

The intro music and announcer read help to hype PGA events from the start, and women's golf is at a disadvantage there when their events either aren't featured on CBS/NBC or they don't use the main announcers for those network's events to handle the lead in and recaps. Listen to the tempo, cadence, and other differences and ask which you think is more likely to get the attention of the average person or avid sports fan used to watching other things. It comes across as though they're trying to cater to very different demographics, which is likely the case.

Now, if they focused on more highlights showing the crowd responses for bigger events and players like Hull who are more animated and interviews with players like Patty Tavatankit who are personable and honest, heck, the numbers would probably grow quite nicely. One thing to consider, though. Do those of you who want women's golf to be more popular actually want that? Do you want idiots yelling "mashed potatoes" and "show me your butthole" and making moans after shots the way they are at men's events? Do you want drunks in banana sling wrap around swimwear dancing in the background? Do you want venues were the fans can't be right up along the ropes interacting with the ladies regularly because the women no longer feel safe? Do you want full police presence to be a must as it is at all PGA events now? If you all get your wish and the women's tours suddenly become the place to be seen like some of the men's PGA stops things will be very, very different than they are now.

I often wonder as well if the women who say they want bigger purses realize what having the eyeballs required to do that will actually mean for the sport. I don't think most of the ladies out there are built to deal with an influx of mainstream sports fans. I don't think most tuning in to women's golf want the smoke that comes with being the hotness.

Nice truth bomb @PedronNiall ... My initial reaction = "Strewth" (i.e. i believe it means "that's the truth" ... albeit a google-search implies that the generally-accepted meaning of "Strewth" = "expression of surprise or dismay").

Okay GIF - Ozzy Man Reviews Okay - Discover & Share GIFs

image.png.f5ef55662c088eecbd9e464ebd03283f.png

image.png.acbea9dbefa26dcca0eb4ada0d7c020e.png

Edited by JungleJimbo

11 hours ago, JungleJimbo said:

@Shakeshook thanks for sharing this MinJee/MinWoo video.

Also...Glad we have team events such as the International Crown, to get a behind-the-scenes peek at the individual dynamics

Yes I find Aussie Tv and Foxtel to be better than some US coverage(s) of PGA and LPGA events, at times. Especially if you want local flavor during majors, ogilvy and the rest of the Fox crew does some interesting tidbits on the Aussie chances… this one just so happened that it was a local network doing the interview/feature 

10 hours ago, PedronNiall said:

Do those of you who want women's golf to be more popular actually want that?

Wow. Yeah. Kind of like in music when the initial fans drop a band once they get too popular, or at least, consider some of their obscure least popular music their best.

Seeing someone win the Aeon thing and go "now I can buy a house" is pretty relatable. And while on tournament grounds, not unusual to find yourself walking by or beside a player.  In the summer, the lady standing beside me in the onsite store checking out some clothes was Lee6...guessing that doesn't happen in the mens.  It's the reason why I am hoping to get to the CPKC again but haven't give much thought to the Presidents Cup, which I imagine will be crowded and distant.

Still, it would be nice if the lowest end tournament purse was $3M instead of sub-$2M.  You can rack up six or seven top 10's in those lower events and presumably barely have a break even year. Not sure how that increase happens...supposedly the money even in the mens game no longer makes fiscal sense, isn't sensibly tied to  current revenue.

• Like 3