Late/last minute advice for solo St Andrews trip - end of March 2024

Joined into this forum not long ago and did a bunch of reading and so already found a lot of great advice and input for the trip I have coming up - at the end of this week.

Overall this trip has really only come together in the last month or so, though I was contemplating and researching in various ways over the last year. I also did post this into a Toronto area golf forum, but knew from what I had seen here that this was another good place to get input.

Flying out of Toronto and  into Glasgow (direct, Air Transat) and arriving Sunday, March 24. Airbnb in St Andrews, just a few minutes from the first tee of The Old Course.
Staying there 9 nights, over the Easter weekend and then heading into England to visit my son.
No vehicle, taking train and/or bus between major spots.
Taking my clubs with golf travel bag, carry on and personal bag.
Just me. First time to the UK for golf. Bogey golfer, 15 handicap, I walk unless required to take a cart. 54 years old and though maybe a bit less as I have got older, I have often done 36 holes in a day so prepared to do that in that time as well.
The plan is to buy the 7 day unlimited golf ticket for the 6 St Andrews Links Trust courses and then try to get on as a single for TOC, at least once - and it was good to find out about the new system for that. Other than that, would try to rotate around the other courses and play as much as I am able, and get on as a single. My understanding is I can't really book a tee time but I can get an idea of what is available from the various courses/starters the day or two before.
I am aware that they are doing Old Course Reversed on some of those days - not sure if I will try for that on a single ballot as I think that may be an option.
Also aware that mats will be in play for the fairways, on all of the courses I believe - and that is ok.
Also aware that the weather may not be great, and that is also ok - the rates for March are less than half of what it is as of mid April, and overall this timeframe worked pretty well for me to get away and so it is happening. Getting a good flight and a good Airbnb also helped to make this timeframe happen.
I got out to Tarandowah (more of a UK style course in SW Ontario, designed by Martin Hawtree) in early February when they had opened, and it got to a high of 4 (39F) that day - and that was a great experience. It was that in fact that helped me to think more seriously about March as my timeframe instead of May or later in the summer.

So some questions:
- I have a typical cart bag, that I use here on a push cart, not huge, but not the usual carry bag either. Would it be better to use a carry stand bag for this trip? I don't have one, but could search one out from a friend or two. I ask since I will at least need to be carrying my golf bag from my airbnb to the clubhouse.
- A trolley can be had, but not sure if I could arrange a deal to be using one for a full week, as opposed to individually paying each time - 6 pounds, so not bad, but it still adds up. I may check if my airbnb host has one as she did have notes about using clubs.
- A co-worker who played TOC, and Jubilee, a number of years ago, recommended I get a caddie, at least for TOC, if I can get on. Thoughts? Since I won't know of a tee time until maybe that 5pm the day before, not sure how possible it will be to book a caddie.
- Though I am aware of other courses in the area, with this unlimited golf ticket it makes sense to play within the Trust. The Fairmont courses (Torrance and Kittocks) can be had on GolfNow for 50 to 60 pounds and it would seem I could get some form of transportation there - should I consider that or pass? Kingsbarns will open, as of this Saturday, but is 352 pounds! Crail is further and would be cool, but transportation options may get a bit tricky as well. I am pretty content to stay in St Andrews and play within there, but also have some flexibility.
- Himalayas putting course is only open on weekends in March so for me it will be as of March 30th, and then open daily in April and beyond
- I will likely try to walk The Old Course on the Sunday I arrive, when it is a park, along with the other people and their dogs
- Not a drinker but will check out the various eating places and pubs in the area, for the most part keeping it fairly simple. Any high recommendations on places to eat?
- Anything else? I think I have covered most of what I have been thinking through and considering - but as I said, I am pretty flexible. Even at this point outside of my flight and Airbnb, the golf itself is not "booked" and so I am open to seeing how things unfold. Depending on how the weather is, I may start out with the 3 day unlimited ticket and then book another 3 day if it is going well - I am pretty prepared, I would say, for the weather and conditions, but of course won't really know until that time and how I do with it all.
This is not necessarily my bucket list trip, though getting to St Andrews is on the bucket list - that is, to say I am not trying to get the one and only full-on experience of St Andrews and area in this. I could, based on how this goes, plan to come back at another point and do things differently, and expand to other places, with a rental vehicle as well.

Thanks for any advice and thoughts

Sounds like you have it under control. Caddie on TOC would be ideal for the experience. I like your plan to play everything around St Andrews. The new ballot will be your friend and the other courses will adjust. Personally I would skip KB but you may like it enough for the price. You should be able to get a bus to Crail or Elie for a change of scenery. Plenty of food options in the old toun - don’t stress just hunt around. But do try the Jigger Inn down by the road hole. I would join you but hey it’s a way to go.

• Definitely try to source a stand bag for the trip. Much more convenient than a traditional cart bag.
  • If you plan on using a trolley/push/pull cart, bring a bungee cord or two as some of them can be in rough shape.
  • Definitely get a caddie if you have a chance to play TOC. Not only for the numerous blind shots but, generally, their disposition adds to the joy of the round.
  • Yes, you should walk TOC on Sunday. I was bummed we had to depart early Sunday because I would have loved the opportunity to casually stroll the course and take in all the nuances on my own time.
  • Restaurants we enjoyed were Little Italy, Jahangir, Jigger Inn and Criterion for their famous Cri pies. Also recommend Jannettas for gelato if you have a sweet tooth.
  • Since you're there for over a week, take some time to visit the castle and pay respects to the Morris family at the cemetery. I also thought a stop at the R&A museum was worth wandering around for an hour or so.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dufferden said:

Joined into this forum not long ago and did a bunch of reading and so already found a lot of great advice and input for the trip I have coming up - at the end of this week.

Overall this trip has really only come together in the last month or so, though I was contemplating and researching in various ways over the last year. I also did post this into a Toronto area golf forum, but knew from what I had seen here that this was another good place to get input.

Flying out of Toronto and  into Glasgow (direct, Air Transat) and arriving Sunday, March 24. Airbnb in St Andrews, just a few minutes from the first tee of The Old Course.
Staying there 9 nights, over the Easter weekend and then heading into England to visit my son.
No vehicle, taking train and/or bus between major spots.
Taking my clubs with golf travel bag, carry on and personal bag.
Just me. First time to the UK for golf. Bogey golfer, 15 handicap, I walk unless required to take a cart. 54 years old and though maybe a bit less as I have got older, I have often done 36 holes in a day so prepared to do that in that time as well.
The plan is to buy the 7 day unlimited golf ticket for the 6 St Andrews Links Trust courses and then try to get on as a single for TOC, at least once - and it was good to find out about the new system for that. Other than that, would try to rotate around the other courses and play as much as I am able, and get on as a single. My understanding is I can't really book a tee time but I can get an idea of what is available from the various courses/starters the day or two before.
I am aware that they are doing Old Course Reversed on some of those days - not sure if I will try for that on a single ballot as I think that may be an option.
Also aware that mats will be in play for the fairways, on all of the courses I believe - and that is ok.
Also aware that the weather may not be great, and that is also ok - the rates for March are less than half of what it is as of mid April, and overall this timeframe worked pretty well for me to get away and so it is happening. Getting a good flight and a good Airbnb also helped to make this timeframe happen.
I got out to Tarandowah (more of a UK style course in SW Ontario, designed by Martin Hawtree) in early February when they had opened, and it got to a high of 4 (39F) that day - and that was a great experience. It was that in fact that helped me to think more seriously about March as my timeframe instead of May or later in the summer.

So some questions:
- I have a typical cart bag, that I use here on a push cart, not huge, but not the usual carry bag either. Would it be better to use a carry stand bag for this trip? I don't have one, but could search one out from a friend or two. I ask since I will at least need to be carrying my golf bag from my airbnb to the clubhouse.
- A trolley can be had, but not sure if I could arrange a deal to be using one for a full week, as opposed to individually paying each time - 6 pounds, so not bad, but it still adds up. I may check if my airbnb host has one as she did have notes about using clubs.
- A co-worker who played TOC, and Jubilee, a number of years ago, recommended I get a caddie, at least for TOC, if I can get on. Thoughts? Since I won't know of a tee time until maybe that 5pm the day before, not sure how possible it will be to book a caddie.
- Though I am aware of other courses in the area, with this unlimited golf ticket it makes sense to play within the Trust. The Fairmont courses (Torrance and Kittocks) can be had on GolfNow for 50 to 60 pounds and it would seem I could get some form of transportation there - should I consider that or pass? Kingsbarns will open, as of this Saturday, but is 352 pounds! Crail is further and would be cool, but transportation options may get a bit tricky as well. I am pretty content to stay in St Andrews and play within there, but also have some flexibility.
- Himalayas putting course is only open on weekends in March so for me it will be as of March 30th, and then open daily in April and beyond
- I will likely try to walk The Old Course on the Sunday I arrive, when it is a park, along with the other people and their dogs
- Not a drinker but will check out the various eating places and pubs in the area, for the most part keeping it fairly simple. Any high recommendations on places to eat?
- Anything else? I think I have covered most of what I have been thinking through and considering - but as I said, I am pretty flexible. Even at this point outside of my flight and Airbnb, the golf itself is not "booked" and so I am open to seeing how things unfold. Depending on how the weather is, I may start out with the 3 day unlimited ticket and then book another 3 day if it is going well - I am pretty prepared, I would say, for the weather and conditions, but of course won't really know until that time and how I do with it all.
This is not necessarily my bucket list trip, though getting to St Andrews is on the bucket list - that is, to say I am not trying to get the one and only full-on experience of St Andrews and area in this. I could, based on how this goes, plan to come back at another point and do things differently, and expand to other places, with a rental vehicle as well.

Thanks for any advice and thoughts

If you plan in using a trolly there’s no need to use a stand bag. Rather than renting one, you can buy an inexpensive one from a shop in St. Andrews then donate it to junior golfer at the end of your trip.

Definitely get a caddie for TOC. All the other courses the yardage guide will help you enough. 

You’ve got a good plan with sticking to the St. Andrews courses. So many options and convenient. Kingsbarns is really great, but certainly not cheap. If you are wanting a change from the flat terrain you have The Castle Course as an option.

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim Max 9* @ 7* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg
Ping G425 3wd @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5 Reg 
Ping G425 7wd @ -1 Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 6 Reg
Ping G425 22 hybrid @ Flat setting Fujikura Ventus Blue HB 6 reg
PXG Gen 4 0311XP 6-GW Fujikura Axiom 75 R2 

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50*, 56*, 60* DG Spinner Stiff stepped soft
Evnroll ER7  33” Rosemark grip

Thanks for the various tips and info.

It now sounds like I may be able to utilize a carry bag (for walking to and from the clubhouses and my Airbnb), and possibly even her trolley, from the host of the Airbnb, so that should help. I may then just transfer my clubs and items from my bag to hers, but will take a closer look at my bag and strap tonight. I only ever have this bag on my push cart, or on a riding cart from a course, so never really "carry" it any farther than in and out of the vehicle.

Also turns out that a caddie and his wife will be staying in the same Airbnb that I am in, as of next Tuesday, so that will be good to have a chat with him about his experiences and any input he has. More and more I am leaning to the caddie option as part of the TOC experience, though of course first I need to get a tee time.

I do hope to provide a recap on my time and how things went - or possibly updates while I am there. In reading various other threads on this board I was so helped in considering various aspects of this trip and that all led to what I have put into place. At this point it is likely to be just focused on the St Andrews Link Trust courses and the sights and locations of the Auld Grey Toon - and enjoying my time on and off the course. There will be a lot of walking, but that should be fine. I may do a day trip into Edinburgh as well.

• Like 3

you arrived today. Where you staying? 

lots of questions with lots of answers already. Next weeks weather is cold in the forecast then seems two warmer weeks.

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

wow that is some start to the trip. 

I was maybe heading to St Andrews on Wednesday but unfortunately now have a funeral so won't head down for a few days.

I was supposed to golf tomorrow afternoon here but will just head to the range and some point and get more stuff done. Weather is not so good after last Tuesday being so nice.

• Like 1
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400

1 hour ago, dufferden said:

Yes, arrived on Sunday - flew overnight from Toronto into Glasgow and then on a bus, train, transfer to another train and finally a bus into St Andrews. I was walking on the 18th hole before 1:30 pm local time. Staying at an Airbnb which is about a 5 minute walk to the Swilcan Bridge. Sunday was a pretty nice day and a lot of families, people, and dogs out on the course. I was able to get a time to play The Himalayas and near the end started to get ice pellets, but that was a lot of fun and will hope to play that at least one or two more times - it is only open on the weekends in March and then fully open as of April. After the putting I went back to my place to change (got a bit wet and chilled from the ice/rain), got my umbrella and then proceeded to walk The Old Course from the first tee to the 18th green, covering every hole from tee to green. Got a bit of rain during some of that but overall it was a pretty good day for golf, not much wind at all.

Prior to the putting course, while waiting, I arranged my first tee time for Strathtyrum, as a warm up, and that was today at 9:20. Forecast didn't look great but was ok and I proceeded, and was prepared for the rain, which did come with 6 holes/1 hour left. That wind was pretty strong and 5 of the last 6 were into the wind and rain - for me it was at least a 3club wind. Enjoyed that and played well, though it is a fairly simple and relatively easy course, but you still need to execute the shots.

Got my name in for the singles draw when later in the afternoon I walked over to the Links Clubhouse and got further info on my other options over the next few days. The draw is at 5pm and at 5:05 got a note indicating the draw was being made and I would be contacted soon with the results. Then at 5:14 got a text that began with 'Congratulations!' - so that was great to see. Offered a time of 9:50am and I did proceed to confirm that. Weather won't be great, but it doesn't seem like it will be terrible either. Rained much of today and will into the night, but looks to be stopping before 6am. Much lower chance of rain for my time, like 10 or 20%, and temps look to be 4 or 5 degrees (C) and winds will be up enough, likely 20 to 30 km/hr. I did request a caddie as part of my application. So that is all quite exciting! More to come about that experience.

Awesome write up and congrats on getting on TOC!!! What a great way to start your trip. Look forward to hearing about your round.

1 hour ago, dufferden said:

Yes, arrived on Sunday - flew overnight from Toronto into Glasgow and then on a bus, train, transfer to another train and finally a bus into St Andrews. I was walking on the 18th hole before 1:30 pm local time. Staying at an Airbnb which is about a 5 minute walk to the Swilcan Bridge. Sunday was a pretty nice day and a lot of families, people, and dogs out on the course. I was able to get a time to play The Himalayas and near the end started to get ice pellets, but that was a lot of fun and will hope to play that at least one or two more times - it is only open on the weekends in March and then fully open as of April. After the putting I went back to my place to change (got a bit wet and chilled from the ice/rain), got my umbrella and then proceeded to walk The Old Course from the first tee to the 18th green, covering every hole from tee to green. Got a bit of rain during some of that but overall it was a pretty good day for golf, not much wind at all.

Prior to the putting course, while waiting, I arranged my first tee time for Strathtyrum, as a warm up, and that was today at 9:20. Forecast didn't look great but was ok and I proceeded, and was prepared for the rain, which did come with 6 holes/1 hour left. That wind was pretty strong and 5 of the last 6 were into the wind and rain - for me it was at least a 3club wind. Enjoyed that and played well, though it is a fairly simple and relatively easy course, but you still need to execute the shots.

Got my name in for the singles draw when later in the afternoon I walked over to the Links Clubhouse and got further info on my other options over the next few days. The draw is at 5pm and at 5:05 got a note indicating the draw was being made and I would be contacted soon with the results. Then at 5:14 got a text that began with 'Congratulations!' - so that was great to see. Offered a time of 9:50am and I did proceed to confirm that. Weather won't be great, but it doesn't seem like it will be terrible either. Rained much of today and will into the night, but looks to be stopping before 6am. Much lower chance of rain for my time, like 10 or 20%, and temps look to be 4 or 5 degrees (C) and winds will be up enough, likely 20 to 30 km/hr. I did request a caddie as part of my application. So that is all quite exciting! More to come about that experience.

Sounds like a great start to the trip!!

congrats and enjoy

12 hours ago, dufferden said:

great stuff, enjoy rest of your time there. i look foward to reading more of your experience

On 3/25/2024 at 3:13 PM, dufferden said:

Well, how was the round? Hopefully you had a blast!

Tuesday was wet then dry in the afternoon - would have been a decent day with some wind.

Today would have been a horrendous day for golf - heavy heavy rain, mid wind until mid afternoon, ground is very wet. 

He certainly would have gotten very cold 40*F and the worst of the weather for the week. I bet he still had a great day on the Old Course.

• Artisan  55*, 60* S400

3 hours ago, dufferden said:

Just a (relatively) short update for now as my golf time has now ended - and it has been pretty steady so I didn't really find or make the time for getting words put down here.

Wow, it has been great and the weather overall has worked out quite well to make it that way.

11 rounds of golf over these past 8 days - of course the special round and opportunity on The Old Course, and then 3 rounds on the New Course, 1 on Jubilee, 1 on Castle, 2 on Eden, 2 on Strathtyrum and then I completed my playing of all 7 of the St Andrews Links Trust courses by having a quick 18 on the Balgove this morning, playing the 9 twice.

My bad weather (at least less than good) days were all when I was at the Eden Clubhouse complex - that was Monday, Thursday and then today. For all of the other more known/better courses (Old, New, Jubilee and Castle), the weather and conditions were really quite favorable, bordering on fantastic. Certainly the kind of weather that is great for end of March and for being able to play those courses without weather being the main factor. Today to finish was quite windy and that was the case each time I was at the Eden complex - strong NE and ENE winds, which for Strath means 5 of the last 6 holes you are into it, and then for Eden the last 4 holes are all into it or at least with a cross. Based on my experience this week, I would only want that kind of wind for those courses, and not any of the others. Only played in rain for the final 6 holes on Monday on Strath, the first few holes and then again the final hole on the New on Wednesday, a tiny bit of rain for maybe one hole, early in the round, on the Castle on Saturday, and then today just a bit of drizzle/light rain as I finished on Eden for holes 17 and 18.

Used two 3 day unlimited tickets, plus the out of pocket to start with Strathtyrum last Monday, and then of course out of pocket for TOC and the caddie fee and tip. More to come, but at least a start now on a summary of the trip. I depart on Tuesday, heading into the middle of England to visit my son and then back to my home on Sunday.

What a great trip! Thanks for sharing.

5 hours ago, dufferden said:

Just a (relatively) short update for now as my golf time has now ended - and it has been pretty steady so I didn't really find or make the time for getting words put down here.

Wow, it has been great and the weather overall has worked out quite well to make it that way.

11 rounds of golf over these past 8 days - of course the special round and opportunity on The Old Course, and then 3 rounds on the New Course, 1 on Jubilee, 1 on Castle, 2 on Eden, 2 on Strathtyrum and then I completed my playing of all 7 of the St Andrews Links Trust courses by having a quick 18 on the Balgove this morning, playing the 9 twice.

My bad weather (at least less than good) days were all when I was at the Eden Clubhouse complex - that was Monday, Thursday and then today. For all of the other more known/better courses (Old, New, Jubilee and Castle), the weather and conditions were really quite favorable, bordering on fantastic. Certainly the kind of weather that is great for end of March and for being able to play those courses without weather being the main factor. Today to finish was quite windy and that was the case each time I was at the Eden complex - strong NE and ENE winds, which for Strath means 5 of the last 6 holes you are into it, and then for Eden the last 4 holes are all into it or at least with a cross. Based on my experience this week, I would only want that kind of wind for those courses, and not any of the others. Only played in rain for the final 6 holes on Monday on Strath, the first few holes and then again the final hole on the New on Wednesday, a tiny bit of rain for maybe one hole, early in the round, on the Castle on Saturday, and then today just a bit of drizzle/light rain as I finished on Eden for holes 17 and 18.

Used two 3 day unlimited tickets, plus the out of pocket to start with Strathtyrum last Monday, and then of course out of pocket for TOC and the caddie fee and tip. More to come, but at least a start now on a summary of the trip. I depart on Tuesday, heading into the middle of England to visit my son and then back to my home on Sunday.

Trip sounds amazing. Looking forward to hearing more!

On 3/25/2024 at 5:13 PM, dufferden said:

Whooooo!

22 hours ago, dufferden said:

Glad you had a great time.  When you have a chance l would love to hear your thoughts on New vs Jubilee vs Eden and  any general non-golf tips, restaurants, etc in St. Andrews.  

Thanks!

• Like 2