Going to Sand Valley in early May

11 hours ago, tgarit1 said:

4 of us will be heading to Sand Valley In early May.  Any tips would be great and welcomed!  

How many rounds/days?

You'll have a blast. I will stand by my assertion that Mammoth may be the most fun golf course I've ever played.

• Like 2

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

1 hour ago, david.c.w said:

MD>SV

Spotted Cow is overrated.

If you are a tennis player try to hit balls for 30 minutes on the grass courts.  Fun stuff.

Enjoy!

Wisconsinite here and this take is accurate, Spotted Cow is insanely overrated. CEO is shady as well. 

Anyways..enjoy you will love it, May can be a great time in WI too. 

• Like 1

@tgarit1 I have no tips as I have never been but congratulations, this is THE place I want to go most in the golfing world (in the United States). I want to get to SV/MD over Bandon, Streamsong, all other courses. Just seems to marry playability with conditioning with fun etc. Have a great time!

• Like 3

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

19 hours ago, tgarit1 said:

4 of us will be heading to Sand Valley In early May.  Any tips would be great and welcomed!  

Went in 2019 when it was new and rough around the edges and am returning for Memorial Day Weekend this year to play SV x2, MV x2 and the Lido on our arrival day. 

Tips:

- Spotted Cow is great especially because you can't get it anywhere else, don't listen to the naysayers.  Although you can overdue it like I did during my trip to Whistling Straits/Erin Hills. 

- $1 tacos at Craig's Porch for lunch and $3 Spotted Cow are a great re-charge for your 2nd round, also don't forget ice cream sandwiches

- Sandbox is the best time, don't miss it

- Rooms are great, spacious and nice. Zero complaints there. If you're staying in lodge rooms I'd request either first floor at #18 of Sand Valley or first floor on the Sandbox so you have a deck to sit on in the evening.  Last time we stayed on #18 at SV and walked over to the 17th punchbowl green and putted around with our phone flashlights which was a blast. Requested on the Sandbox this year to mix it up.

- Hopefully the food service has improved because it was really slow at the Mammoth bar last time we went, played 53 holes that day and my friend never even got served after 1.5 hours. Chalked it up to a new resort though and inexperienced staff.

- Sand Valley felt like a genuinely difficult course to me, kicked my a** especially as it was fairly windy.  Best I shot was maybe 78 or so and I play off scratch. Greens felt like what I imagine Pinehurst being, Mammoth Dunes were opposite and more concave so it's a nice contrast. 

- Sunscreen - I'd suggest wearing it as the sun reflects off the sand and I looked like a lobster. And this was end of April and temp got to maybe 60 degrees. Can't imagine what it'd be like in the summer

- The few caddies that were paired up with us were brutal.  We're taking them for our Lido round as it's required but not for any of the others. I didn't feel we missed out on anything by not taking them last time. 

8 hours ago, tgarit1 said:

We are going for Thursday-Sunday.  Playing 36 on Friday and Saturday then 18 on Sunday before we fly out.  We are still trying to play Lido although it doesn't look promising.  

Are you playing Sedge Valley?

When I went last year it was a last minute deal so I was off property and as such couldn't get onto the Lido.

If I can swing it this year I will try to get back and play all 4 courses.

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* : Ventus Red TR 7S

Titleist TSR2 4W : Tensei 1K Black 85-S

Mizuno CLK 19*: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Srixon ZX Utility #4: Nippon Modus3 125-S

Wilson Staff CB 5-PW : Nippon Modus3 125-S

Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58: Nippon Modus3 125-S 

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

I went to Sand Valley last summer with 3 other guys and had a blast.

Tips:

1. If possible play the Lido, not because it's the greatest course known to man but because there's a good chance it will continue to get harder to get on. 

2. You probably can skip caddies. None of us had a particular great experience with them and they kinda seem like a waste of money. Now if you have a great caddie, it can definitely make a difference. Most of the courses are really right in front of you (beside the Lido) so I don't think the caddie really brought that much to the table (and in my case certainly was distracting). 

3. The BBQ next to the Sandbox was the highlight for me food wise. They brought in a little country duo for some live entertainment and they were really good. 

4. The Locker room in the basement of the Lodge is a must on the last day before you head to the airport, the shower will feel amazing. 

5. Uncrustables will become your lifeline if you're walking 36 holes, some sugar from the jelly with some protein from the peanut butter. Either grab a box at the grocery store on your drive up to SV or buy them at Craig's Porch. 

6. We stayed in the cabins next to the sand box, the rooms were spacious and very comfortable. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, eboettne said:

Went in 2019 when it was new and rough around the edges and am returning for Memorial Day Weekend this year to play SV x2, MV x2 and the Lido on our arrival day. 

Tips:

- Spotted Cow is great especially because you can't get it anywhere else, don't listen to the naysayers.  Although you can overdue it like I did during my trip to Whistling Straits/Erin Hills. 

- $1 tacos at Craig's Porch for lunch and $3 Spotted Cow are a great re-charge for your 2nd round, also don't forget ice cream sandwiches

- Sandbox is the best time, don't miss it

- Rooms are great, spacious and nice. Zero complaints there. If you're staying in lodge rooms I'd request either first floor at #18 of Sand Valley or first floor on the Sandbox so you have a deck to sit on in the evening.  Last time we stayed on #18 at SV and walked over to the 17th punchbowl green and putted around with our phone flashlights which was a blast. Requested on the Sandbox this year to mix it up.

- Hopefully the food service has improved because it was really slow at the Mammoth bar last time we went, played 53 holes that day and my friend never even got served after 1.5 hours. Chalked it up to a new resort though and inexperienced staff.

- Sand Valley felt like a genuinely difficult course to me, kicked my a** especially as it was fairly windy.  Best I shot was maybe 78 or so and I play off scratch. Greens felt like what I imagine Pinehurst being, Mammoth Dunes were opposite and more concave so it's a nice contrast. 

- Sunscreen - I'd suggest wearing it as the sun reflects off the sand and I looked like a lobster. And this was end of April and temp got to maybe 60 degrees. Can't imagine what it'd be like in the summer

- The few caddies that were paired up with us were brutal.  We're taking them for our Lido round as it's required but not for any of the others. I didn't feel we missed out on anything by not taking them last time. 

I went in 2021 and had no issues with food service. Also had a very good caddie - one of the best I've had at a resort course. He did summers at SV and winters in Florida at a top private club. 

I thought SV was one of the harder C&C courses I've played, but still very enjoyable. 

• Like 2

Our group of 8 will be there May 3-6 ... first time for all of us and couldn't be more excited. Any early reports on how conditioning would be looking early in the year? Is it typically not as first and fast at that point? 

I'm not sure I've ever been more excited to play a course than I am Lido. I wish we could have gotten a tee time on it earlier in the trip so would feel fresher, but so it goes. 

We're doing:

Friday PM: Sandbox

Saturday: SV / Mammoth

Sunday: Mammoth/ Lido

Monday: potentially Lawsonia. I'd like to, but I think the group may be toast by then. 

Half of us wanted caddies for the 1st round at Mammoth so we'll have em for SV and Lido, are split on the 1st round at Mammoth and none for 2nd go at Mammoth. 

Also, is there a big putting course out there ala the Punchbowl or Thistle Du? 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Milkman said:

Also, is there a big putting course out there ala the Punchbowl or Thistle Du? 

There was not when I went there in 2019 and I don't believe I've heard of one being built.  There is a big practice green that's essentially part of the 1st tee at Mammoth but I don't recall it having much elevation change. Would be a great addition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ND2005 said:

I went in 2021 and had no issues with food service. Also had a very good caddie - one of the best I've had at a resort course. He did summers at SV and winters in Florida at a top private club. 

I thought SV was one of the harder C&C courses I've played, but still very enjoyable. 

Great to hear, I guess my advice would change to be specific with the caddie you request based on reviews from other players. The caddie that was in our group last time detracted from our enjoyment of the course. 

• Like 1

Mammoth was my favorite of the courses I played

The tacos are amazing at Craig's Porch

The BBQ by the SandBox is also amazing

The grass tennis courts were an absolute blast

Agree on the showers, a must have before you leave

No issues with service when I was there. Rooms are great.

• Like 1

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

Was there last summer, there is a large putting green behind the mammoth bar, we actually had to tee off from it during our round on MD. Lido is sweet if you can get on, its the only course that requires caddies and the only one I would take one on. Agree on tacos at Craigs and BBQ behind Sandbox. If you have time to play Lawsonia I highly recommend it. Best thing about SV is that all the courses are so different, for me, I liked SV the most, Lido was the coolest experience (it had just opened) and MD was great but but my least favorite. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx Aldila NV 75 

TaylorMade Stealth Fairway 3HL FUJIKURA VISTA PRO 21 65S

Cobra LTDx 4 Hybrid 20* KBS PGI 85

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-GW Project X LZ 6.0

Titleist SM9 55*/60*
Bobby Grace F-18

13 hours ago, tgarit1 said:

has anyone played it in the early spring?  Just trying to get a gameplay for what t we need to pack.  Is the wind usually bad out there?

Played in early May 2019. Mid 30s in the morning, 55-65 in the afternoon.  It was pretty calm winds especially in the mornings but it can pick up at times in the afternoon. Despite cooler temps the sun bouncing off the sand will burn you if you don't wear sunscreen like yours truly.

Edited by eboettne

15 hours ago, tgarit1 said:

has anyone played it in the early spring?  Just trying to get a gameplay for what t we need to pack.  Is the wind usually bad out there?

Im not too sure what you consider early spring but pack everything you have space for.

Pack rain gear,  heavy lined pullover for cold weather, lighter pullover for when it warms up, a warm base layer, pants, and shorts. Bring a stocking hat and your preferred gloves. 

Midwest spring is all over the map. Monday can sunny, windy, and chilly with highs in the low 50s. Tuesday it’s a high of 72 and a perfect bluebird day. Wednesday you will have on and off precipitation with a high of 42 and possible snow flurries. 

It’s commonly 25-30 degree difference between the high and low each day so be prepared for that as well. Layers are your friend. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Our group is 10 days out so I’m starting to obsessively watch the weather. I know the percentages don’t mean much at this point but what kind of rain does that part of Wisconsin get? 

Is it sideways blistering rain like a Bandon? Heavy downpours like Texas? Little spitting shower that doesn’t really stop you from doing much?

On 4/3/2024 at 6:38 PM, tgarit1 said:

A good question with no good answer.  May and November are probably the two most volatile months of the year for temperature, rain and wind.

• Like 2

If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

1 hour ago, The Milkman said:

Our group is 10 days out so I’m starting to obsessively watch the weather. I know the percentages don’t mean much at this point but what kind of rain does that part of Wisconsin get? 

Is it sideways blistering rain like a Bandon? Heavy downpours like Texas? Little spitting shower that doesn’t really stop you from doing much?

The answer is yes. The area gets all those types of rain and more. 

I tried really hard to get on the lido - reschedule other stuffs, etc. 

Simply becuase I assume the course will be harder and harder to get on

AI Smoke Max 10.5* w/ Blue Velocore+ 5R

AI Smoke Max 16.5* w/ Red TR Velore 6S

AI Smoke Max 21* w/ Velocore+ 7S | Apex UW 19* w/ Velore+ 7S when too windy

Ping G430 22 & 26 deg, Venus Blue HB 7S
MP 245 6-GW, Recoil 95S
Mizuno T24 54.10S 58.10V, DG S400

SC Phantom T-12 Tour Prototype

Pro V1

1 hour ago, TexasTitleistUser said:

Very disappointed to say I need to cancel my trip to Sand Valley for health reasons at this time. 😭

I have a single king room booked for May 7-10th. I have tee times on all the courses including a Lido round. I am hoping someone here can take my room and save me the deposit at this late date. I talked to them and I can have your name put on the room and they will take your deposit. I think the deposit was around $500. 

room is one king bed

tee times are for a single 

please DM for more info

☹️ 

Dang, thats tough to hear hopefully everything is alright with you!