2024 3M Open What's In The Bag Photos ×

Need help identifying a Scotty

Subpar_Golf

Think you're right the finish was stripped most likely and some paint on the neck probably.

• Like 2

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

I agree with Vnutz and Zip.  Looks like this has an aftermarket plating applied.
I also agree with Zip on sending it to BOS.  They still offer the original Black Ox / Gun Blue that this putter had originally and they do excellent work (they did the early putters for Scotty) and they do it at a fair price.  It's going to lose some weight though.

• Like 2

On 4/3/2024 at 7:06 PM, T-MAC said:

I agree with Vnutz and Zip.  Looks like this has an aftermarket plating applied.
I also agree with Zip on sending it to BOS.  They still offer the original Black Ox / Gun Blue that this putter had originally and they do excellent work (they did the early putters for Scotty) and they do it at a fair price.  It's going to lose some weight though.

these are 2 different finishes just so you know. This one was originally gun blue. The JAT prototype, for example, is black oxide. 

Titleist 910D3 9.5 Fujikura Rombax 7z08
Titleist 906F2 15 Diamana Blueboard 83
Titleist 712U 2 Dynamic Gold
Titleist 712 CB 3-5 MB 6-9 Dynamic Gold
Titleist Vokey SM5 46.08 TVD M 52 58
Scotty Cameron Oil Can Newport

• 4 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 4/6/2024 at 9:54 AM, Shwagin1066 said:

these are 2 different finishes just so you know. This one was originally gun blue. The JAT prototype, for example, is black oxide. 

Just so you know, Gun Blue and Black Oxide are basically the same finish.  The "Gun Blue" finish from the early models is Black Oxide, just applied in thinner coats in order to try and make it appear more  "blue".  But Black Oxide is used to make the Gun Blue finish. 
I have both Gun Blue putters (in fact I have this Newport model in original condition) and Black Oxide finished putters and sometimes it's hard to tell them apart. 

Edited by T-MAC
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)
On 5/3/2024 at 12:10 PM, T-MAC said:

Just so you know, Gun Blue and Black Oxide are basically the same finish.  The "Gun Blue" finish from the early models is Black Oxide, just applied in thinner coats in order to try and make it appear more  "blue".  But Black Oxide is used to make the Gun Blue finish. 
I have both Gun Blue putters (in fact I have this Newport model in original condition) and Black Oxide finished putters and you really can't tell them apart. 

Yes I’m aware. I disagree that they can’t be told apart, certainly similar but not the same. The amount of coats is what makes them a different finish in the end. Another example of this would be the tour only 3x oil can finish which is distinctly different than the retail oil can. If you send a black oxide putter in for a COA, it will come back saying black oxide. If you send a gun blue one in, it will come back saying gun blue. 

I appreciate you laughing at my post though! 👍🏼

I have this putter grip in plastic, it’s 350 gram counterpart (1/100), a gun blue Napa, a JAT prototype, and 26 other Scotty’s, just so you know 😉

Edited by Shwagin1066

On 5/4/2024 at 8:58 PM, Shwagin1066 said:

Yes I’m aware. I disagree that they can’t be told apart, certainly similar but not the same. The amount of coats is what makes them a different finish in the end. Another example of this would be the tour only 3x oil can finish which is distinctly different than the retail oil can. If you send a black oxide putter in for a COA, it will come back saying black oxide. If you send a gun blue one in, it will come back saying gun blue. 

I appreciate you laughing at my post though! 👍🏼

I have this putter grip in plastic, it’s 350 gram counterpart (1/100), a gun blue Napa, a JAT prototype, and 26 other Scotty’s, just so you know 😉

Good for you.
I have this putter also, as well as all the one's you mentioned, plus about 100+ more.  
I've been collecting, buying, trading, selling putters for about 3 decades.
Just so you know 😉 

P1040244.JPG

P1040045.JPG

P1040048.JPG

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, T-MAC said:

Good for you.
I have this putter also, as well as all the one's you mentioned, plus about 100+ more.  
I've been collecting, buying, trading, selling putters for about 3 decades.
Just so you know 😉 

P1040244.JPG

P1040045.JPG

You’d think after all that time you’d know Scotty’s black oxide and gun blue are 2 different finishes, and not laugh at someone stating this simple fact 😉 👍🏼

Edited by Shwagin1066
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/6/2024 at 4:00 PM, Shwagin1066 said:

You’d think after all that time you’d know Scotty’s black oxide and gun blue are 2 different finishes, and not laugh at someone stating this simple fact 😉 👍🏼

Let's see your 26 camerons. Love a good show and tell of scotty collections. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btyh said:

Let's see your 26 camerons. Love a good show and tell of scotty collections. 

whenever I try to attach a picture it just shows a black box. Any idea why? Picture is 5.7MB

54 minutes ago, Shwagin1066 said:

whenever I try to attach a picture it just shows a black box. Any idea why? Picture is 5.7MB

Can you tell if it's a black oxide box, or maybe just a dark gun blue??

*sorry, couldn't help myself. 

• Haha 2

Paradym 10.5

TM tour 3w 

Callaway Apex UW 21*

TM 7MC

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom/Spider

12 hours ago, kcsf said:

Can you tell if it's a black oxide box, or maybe just a dark gun blue??

*sorry, couldn't help myself. 

LOL well played 

13 hours ago, btyh said:

Some people have that issue. Not sure how or why. 

I posted a for sale ad a couple months ago and it was a nightmare. It would only post the pictures that were < 2.5MB, and I have no idea how to make them that. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren’t (usually closer to 4 or 5 MB 🤷🏼‍♂️)

On 5/8/2024 at 9:56 AM, Shwagin1066 said:

I posted a for sale ad a couple months ago and it was a nightmare. It would only post the pictures that were < 2.5MB, and I have no idea how to make them that. Sometimes they are, sometimes they aren’t (usually closer to 4 or 5 MB 🤷🏼‍♂️)

Gee, you've been a member here since 2006.  You would think that after all that time you would know how to post pics on WRX.

On 5/6/2024 at 4:00 PM, Shwagin1066 said:

They are two different names for basically the same finish.
As I said before, Black Oxide is used to make the Gun Blue finish.  It's just applied thinner / less coats in an effort to try and make it appear "blue".  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  As I have also said, I have had examples of both Gun Blue and Black Ox putters over the years and most of the time it's very hard to tell them apart.
You can call them "2 different finishes" but they are really just 2 different names for a Black Oxide finish.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, T-MAC said:

They are two different names for basically the same finish.
As I said before, Black Oxide is used to make the Gun Blue finish.  It's just applied thinner / less coats in an effort to try and make it appear "blue".  Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't.  As I have also said, I have had examples of both Gun Blue and Black Ox putters over the years and most of the time it's very hard to tell them apart.
You can call them "2 different finishes" but they are really just 2 different names for a Black Oxide finish.

you can keep calling them basically the same finish all you want man, they are very easily discernible in person. Just because you “said it before” doesn’t make it true, I promise you if you gave me 50 different putters with each finish I could identify all 100. 

gun blue has a much wetter look and is more shiny. 

im not referring to the process by which they are created. The point is, after all the coats are applied, they are 2 different finishes. That’s why when you send in a black oxide putter for authentication it will come back saying black oxide, and the same for gun blue. You will never get a COA that says gun blue on a black oxide finish. They have 2 different names for a reason 😂

3x oil can and Scotty’s stock oil can are also applied with the exact same method, yet when finished have a completely different look. 3x oil can is much more “matte” while the standard oil can has a bit of sheen. 

I really don’t need any education on this topic, but I appreciate you trying to help and also laughing at my initial post stating that these 2 different finishes are indeed different finishes! Take care 🙏🏼

Edited by Shwagin1066

3 hours ago, T-MAC said:

Gee, you've been a member here since 2006.  You would think that after all that time you would know how to post pics on WRX.

not something I’m super concerned about lol.

when I attach a picture, if it’s over 3MB it appears as a black box, if it’s under 3MB it shows the actual picture. I will survive 😂

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 12:28 PM, Shwagin1066 said:

you can keep calling them basically the same finish all you want man, they are very easily discernible in person. Just because you “said it before” doesn’t make it true, I promise you if you gave me 50 different putters with each finish I could identify all 100. 

gun blue has a much wetter look and is more shiny. 

im not referring to the process by which they are created. The point is, after all the coats are applied, they are 2 different finishes. That’s why when you send in a black oxide putter for authentication it will come back saying black oxide, and the same for gun blue. You will never get a COA that says gun blue on a black oxide finish. They have 2 different names for a reason 😂

3x oil can and Scotty’s stock oil can are also applied with the exact same method, yet when finished have a completely different look. 3x oil can is much more “matte” while the standard oil can has a bit of sheen. 

I really don’t need any education on this topic, but I appreciate you trying to help and also laughing at my initial post stating that these 2 different finishes are indeed different finishes! Take care 🙏🏼

Well we'll have to agree to disagree Shwag.
Plus, I highly doubt that you would be able to identify 100 out of 100.  You would be able to figure out which finish/name went to each putter by the year of the putter itself (which is also why those names ((Gun Blue and Black Oxide)) appear on a COA - due to the year of the putter).  From what I understand (from BOS themselves) is, one of the main reasons they (Scotty and BOS) switched from "Gun Blue" to Black Oxide was because the consistency of the Gun Blue varied and it was hard to get/create a consistent look.  Sometimes they could get a "blue" affect to come out on a putter, and sometimes they couldn't.  You could put 50 original Gun Blue putters lined up in a row and many would have different hues.  Some would look "Bluish", some would look Black, and some would be somewhere in-between.  Creating a solid, Black Oxide putter is much more consistent.  But they are ALL done with Black Oxide as the finishing product, the methods are just slightly different in that Gun Blue is applied thinner / less coats - which also lead them (Scotty/BOS) to conclude that it wasn't as durable, which was another reason for the switch.
The 3x oil can and the regular oil can finish that you are referring to are totally different.  Gun Blue and Black Ox both have a shiny (gloss), sheen to them.  The oil can finishes you are referring to are totally different sheens.  The "3x" (3 times) at BOS actually refers to 3 different sheens placed on 3 different areas of a putter.  A lot of people don't like a shiny finish on the top of a putter due to glare so they will put a matte finish on the top.  The cavity of the putter may have the same finish as the top (in this case, oil can) but they will do a slightly different sheen (slight sheen instead of matte), and the sole of the putter will get the gloss / shiny sheen for more durability.  They also offer a 2x's (2 different sheens) option for putters, which is usually matte on the top side and shiny/gloss everywhere else.
You can also do a low sheen and a matte finish in Black Oxide.  There are different methods and products that create a different sheen, including treating the original surface of the metal differently (like bead blasting) to create different sheens.
Scotty's custom shop only offers a matte black finish today and no oil can.  After Scotty and BOS split several years ago Scotty had a lot of trouble (mostly with durability issues) with his black oxide and oil can finishes and he eventually dropped both of them from his option list.
If you want to call them "different finishes", be my guest Shwag.  I really don't care.
But they are BOTH done with Black Oxide.  They just attempted to get 2 different looks from the same product, thus the 2 different names.

Edited by T-MAC
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, T-MAC said:

Well we'll have to agree to disagree Shwag.
Plus, I highly doubt that you would be able to identify 100 out of 100.  You would be able to figure out which finish/name went to each putter by the year of the putter itself (which is also why those names ((Gun Blue and Black Oxide)) appear on a COA - due to the year of the putter).  From what I understand (from BOS themselves) is, one of the main reasons they (Scotty and BOS) switched from "Gun Blue" to Black Oxide was because the consistency of the Gun Blue varied and it was hard to get/create a consistent look.  Sometimes they could get a "blue" affect to come out on a putter, and sometimes they couldn't.  You could put 50 original Gun Blue putters lined up in a row and many would have different hues.  Some would look "Bluish", some would look Black, and some would be somewhere in-between.  Creating a solid, Black Oxide putter is much more consistent.  But they are ALL done with Black Oxide as the finishing product, the methods are just slightly different in that Gun Blue is applied thinner / less coats - which also lead them (Scotty/BOS) to conclude that it wasn't as durable, which was another reason for the switch.
The 3x oil can and the regular oil can finish that you are referring to are totally different.  Gun Blue and Black Ox both have a shiny (gloss), sheen to them.  The oil can finishes you are referring to are totally different sheens.  The "3x" (3 times) at BOS actually refers to 3 different sheens placed on 3 different areas of a putter.  A lot of people don't like a shiny finish on the top of a putter due to glare so they will put a matte finish on the top.  The cavity of the putter may have the same finish as the top (in this case, oil can) but they will do a slightly different sheen (slight sheen instead of matte), and the sole of the putter will get the gloss / shiny sheen for more durability.  They also offer a 2x's (2 different sheens) option for putters, which is usually matte on the top side and shiny/gloss everywhere else.
You can also do a low sheen and a matte finish in Black Oxide.  There are different methods and products that create a different sheen, including treating the original surface of the metal differently (like bead blasting) to create different sheens.
Scotty's custom shop only offers a matte black finish today and no oil can.  After Scotty and BOS split several years ago Scotty had a lot of trouble (mostly with durability issues) with his black oxide and oil can finishes and he eventually dropped both of them from his option list.
If you want to call them "different finishes", be my guest Shwag.  I really don't care.
But they are BOTH done with Black Oxide.  They just attempted to get 2 different looks from the same product, thus the 2 different names.

They succeeded in getting 2 different looks from the same product, thus the 2 different names. It actually does *not* only have to do with how many layers of each finish is applied. Gun blue heads are polished before the black oxide finish is applied, leading to the shinier look. Black oxide putters have actually been bead-blasted or brushed which gives them a duller look. Still shiny, for sure, but nowhere near as shiny as gun blue. There are endless threads on The Cameron Collector explaining these processes, and absolutely no one over there considers them to be the same finish 🙂.

Your thinking that the difference in the “black oxide” and “gun blue” names is era-related is absolutely false. The JAT prototype is a “black oxide” finish and there are Scotty’s from before (OTR) and after (tour) that bear the name gun blue on the COA, so it has absolutely nothing to do with the year they were made, or sent in for authentication. 

Yes, there are different “shades” of gun blue. There are different shades of black oxide also, I promise you I could identify all the gun blues and all the black oxides, regardless of the fact that each has different shades. 

Regarding the “sheens” of oil can/3x, you will never see a “matte” “regular” oil can finish, this will only come on certain portions of the 3x oil canned putter. All 3 of those sheens are applied with the same process. In fact, your explanation of this perfectly explains the difference between gun blue and black oxide. Different sheens is exactly what the final products produce. Which is why they have different names 😅 they do not have different names because of the year they were produced, I don’t know what else to tell ya man. 

I’ve been collecting Scotty’s for 30 years now and have never been fooled between gun blue and black oxide putters, so you can think I wouldn’t be able to identify all 100, but you’d be placing a losing bet. It’s very odd to me how you can continuously explain how the gun blue is less applications/layers of the finish, SPECIFICALLY done so to produce a different final look, and still in your head you’re like “they’re the same finish” just because they’re made via the same process. The FINISH is how the putter looks once it’s FINISHED, and black oxide and gun blue just look different man. Maybe you have older eyes, or it’s not as discernible to you. It’s very discernible to many avid collectors, and I know MANY just like myself that would simply never be fooled between the 2. They look different, period. 

Edited by Shwagin1066

34 minutes ago, Shwagin1066 said:

They succeeded in getting 2 different looks from the same product, thus the 2 different names. It actually does *not* only have to do with how many layers of each finish is applied. Gun blue heads are polished before the black oxide finish is applied, leading to the shinier look. Black oxide putters have actually been bead-blasted or brushed which gives them a duller look. Still shiny, for sure, but nowhere near as shiny as gun blue. There are endless threads on The Cameron Collector explaining these processes, and absolutely no one over there considers them to be the same finish 🙂.

Your thinking that the difference in the “black oxide” and “gun blue” names is era-related is absolutely false. The JAT prototype is a “black oxide” finish and there are Scotty’s from before (OTR) and after (tour) that bear the name gun blue on the COA, so it has absolutely nothing to do with the year they were made, or sent in for authentication. 

Yes, there are different “shades” of gun blue. There are different shades of black oxide also, I promise you I could identify all the gun blues and all the black oxides, regardless of the fact that each has different shades. 

Regarding the “sheens” of oil can/3x, you will never see a “matte” “regular” oil can finish, this will only come on certain portions of the 3x oil canned putter. All 3 of those sheens are applied with the same process. In fact, your explanation of this perfectly explains the difference between gun blue and black oxide. Different sheens is exactly what the final products produce. Which is why they have different names 😅 they do not have different names because of the year they were produced, I don’t know what else to tell ya man. 

I’ve been collecting Scotty’s for 30 years now and have never been fooled between gun blue and black oxide putters, so you can think I wouldn’t be able to identify all 100, but you’d be placing a losing bet. It’s very odd to me how you can continuously explain how the gun blue is less applications/layers of the finish, SPECIFICALLY done so to produce a different final look, and still in your head you’re like “they’re the same finish” just because they’re made via the same process. The FINISH is how the putter looks once it’s FINISHED, and black oxide and gun blue just look different man. Maybe you have older eyes, or it’s not as discernible to you. It’s very discernible to many avid collectors, and I know MANY just like myself that would simply never be fooled between the 2. They look different, period. 

please, please, please, stop trying to educate me on this matter. Thank you 😅

The ERA for Gun Blue in OTR's was prior to the JAT.  After that, everything was Black Oxide.  There may have been a Gun Blue option for Tour (as you suggest) but most black Tour putters went with the Brushed Black finish which didn't have the sheen of the Gun Blue or Black Oxide (which is why it was preferred by Pros).
There is nothing wrong with my eyes.  I can also see differences between (most of) the Gun Blue and the Black Oxide putters if the Gun Blue turned out as it was intended to be.  I simply stated in my original post that they are "basically" the same finish because Black Oxide is used to make both, but yes, they were made to appear slightly different in hues/ depth of color.
They BOTH have a shiny finish.  In fact, most Black Ox putters actually look shinier to me because they are a deeper black than the Gun Blue, and that deep black gives off more sheen. 
Both putter heads are polished prior to the finish being applied (that is according to BOS themselves).  Look at the sheen on the TeI3's and the Studio Design series and tell me that the Black Ox isn't as shiny as the Gun Blue.  BOS offers a matte Black Ox finish and THOSE are the heads that get bead blasted prior to the finish being applied.  Not the standard Shiny Black Ox heads (yes, they even call it "shiny").
There absolutely ARE different sheens of oil can.  In fact, some of the "oil can" finishes that Scotty was using after leaving BOS had a much duller finish than the original oil cans (and were not as durable) which is one of the reasons he discontinued offering it.  Go to BOS's website and you will see their 3x's oil can and they explain it as having a "Matte top, Satin face, and Shiny sole".  -So they absolutely DO make 3 different sheens in Oil Can.
Funny you mention TCC...............I am ALSO a member there.  Been there for probably 15 years.
I DO recall seeing / reading several posts regarding the Gun Blue and Black Ox debate and you are wrong in saying that "absolutely no one" over there considers them to be the same finish.  The debates there usually tend to go as our debate here has gone.  However, just to be clear, I did not say that they were the exact same finish.  I only stated that they were "basically" the same finish because both were Black Oxide and (in many cases) appear VERY similar. 
I said that in case the OP wanted to send his putter in to BOS for refinishing.  I didn't want him to be afraid to have it done in their Shiny Black Oxide - which, in my opinion, is the best option for this putter if he wants it to appear original.
I hope you have a good evening Shwag.  
Class dismissed. 🤣

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, T-MAC said:

The ERA for Gun Blue in OTR's was prior to the JAT.  After that, everything was Black Oxide.  There may have been a Gun Blue option for Tour (as you suggest) but most black Tour putters went with the Brushed Black finish which didn't have the sheen of the Gun Blue or Black Oxide (which is why it was preferred by Pros).
There is nothing wrong with my eyes.  I can also see differences between (most of) the Gun Blue and the Black Oxide putters if the Gun Blue turned out as it was intended to be.  I simply stated in my original post that they are "basically" the same finish because Black Oxide is used to make both, but yes, they were made to appear slightly different in hues/ depth of color.
They BOTH have a shiny finish.  In fact, most Black Ox putters actually look shinier to me because they are a deeper black than the Gun Blue, and that deep black gives off more sheen. 
Both putter heads are polished prior to the finish being applied (that is according to BOS themselves).  Look at the sheen on the TeI3's and the Studio Design series and tell me that the Black Ox isn't as shiny as the Gun Blue.  BOS offers a matte Black Ox finish and THOSE are the heads that get bead blasted prior to the finish being applied.  Not the standard Shiny Black Ox heads (yes, they even call it "shiny").
There absolutely ARE different sheens of oil can.  In fact, some of the "oil can" finishes that Scotty was using after leaving BOS had a much duller finish than the original oil cans (and were not as durable) which is one of the reasons he discontinued offering it.  Go to BOS's website and you will see their 3x's oil can and they explain it as having a "Matte top, Satin face, and Shiny sole".  -So they absolutely DO make 3 different sheens in Oil Can.
Funny you mention TCC...............I am ALSO a member there.  Been there for probably 15 years.
I DO recall seeing / reading several posts regarding the Gun Blue and Black Ox debate and you are wrong in saying that "absolutely no one" over there considers them to be the same finish.  The debates there usually tend to go as our debate here has gone.  However, just to be clear, I did not say that they were the exact same finish.  I only stated that they were "basically" the same finish because both were Black Oxide and (in many cases) appear VERY similar. 
I said that in case the OP wanted to send his putter in to BOS for refinishing.  I didn't want him to be afraid to have it done in their Shiny Black Oxide - which, in my opinion, is the best option for this putter if he wants it to appear original.
I hope you have a good evening Shwag.  
Class dismissed. 🤣

agree to disagree regarding the shininess of black oxide. Have never seen a black oxide putter that shines like a gun blue. 

im aware the JAT came after the gun blue, that’s why I said there are putters from BEFORE (OTR - gun blue) and AFTER (tour - gun blue). The fact that there are tour putters made after the JAT prototype that have COAs stating gun blue, not black oxide, as their finish disproves your theory that the names are era-related. 

there are no “debates” on TCC about the differences between gun blue and black oxide 😂 everyone is in unanimous agreement that gun blues are a black oxide finish applied to polished heads. You are dead wrong in assuming all black oxide 009s have been polished. 

Your comments about TeI3s and Studio Designs being super shiny is a point for my case lol. Those are both gun blue finishes, NOT black oxide. Yes, I’m well aware gun blue is shinier than black oxide, thanks for making my point 🙃

and lastly, your comments on the 3x oil can again support my point. Yes, they offer different “sheens” that are applied with the same process, a la gun blue and black oxide. 3 different finishes achieved with the same process 👍🏼

have a good day sir, I’m tired of educating you 😉

Edited by Shwagin1066

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Shwagin1066 said:

agree to disagree regarding the shininess of black oxide. Have never seen a black oxide putter that shines like a gun blue. 

im aware the JAT came after the gun blue, that’s why I said there are putters from BEFORE (OTR - gun blue) and AFTER (tour - gun blue). The fact that there are tour putters made after the JAT prototype that have COAs stating gun blue, not black oxide, as their finish disproves your theory that the names are era-related. 

there are no “debates” on TCC about the differences between gun blue and black oxide 😂 everyone is in unanimous agreement that gun blues are a black oxide finish applied to polished heads. You are dead wrong in assuming all black oxide 009s have been polished. 

Your comments about TeI3s and Studio Designs being super shiny is a point for my case lol. Those are both gun blue finishes, NOT black oxide. Yes, I’m well aware gun blue is shinier than black oxide, thanks for making my point 🙃

and lastly, your comments on the 3x oil can again support my point. Yes, they offer different “sheens” that are applied with the same process, a la gun blue and black oxide. 3 different finishes achieved with the same process 👍🏼

have a good day sir, I’m tired of educating you 😉

You aren't educating anybody sir.  We are basically talking in circles at this point but we really aren't 100% in disagreement either (for the most part anyway).
I told you why I stated that they were "basically" the same finish - even though they can look slightly different.

I did not mean to imply that Black Ox and Gun Blue (the finishes themselves) were era related.  I said that YOU would be able to tell them apart because of the putter themselves.  There were putters made in certain era's that were labelled Gun Blue and Black Oxide so someone would be able to decipher which putter had which finish if you were familiar with the putters themselves.
You are correct that the Studio Design putters were labelled as Gun Blue by Scotty.  But I have seen the Tei3's labelled as Black Oxide.  Years ago when I used to refinish putters myself, I called BOS to ask them what finish they used on the original TeI3 putters and they said it was their shiny black oxide.  If you send a Studio Design putter in to them for refinishing they will tell you that their shiny black oxide is the same finish as the original.  I have sent both a TeI3 putter and a Studio Design 2.5 into Titleist for refinishing and they said both were the shiny black oxide finish (I still have both putters today and you cannot tell the difference in finish between the refinished 2.5 and an original 2.5 that I own).  That is why I assumed the SD Series was black oxide. 
In fact, the Classic 1 putters, which of course pre-dates both the TeI3's and the SD Series, had a black oxide finish and they were also plenty shiny when new.
 I also never said that all black 009's had a polished black oxide finish (in fact I never mentioned 009's at all).  I said that many of the black Tour putters were going to the Brushed Black finish because it had less sheen (and it was also thought to be more durable).  I personally have not seen a matte black ox finish on a 009 (in original condition).  Not saying there aren't any but there is no reason to produce one when the more durable brushed black finish is available.
The only reason I spoke about the different sheens for oil can is because you claimed that "you will never see a matte or regular oil can finish".  -That is not accurate and you are dead wrong.
That is what BOS's 3x's finish is all about (3 different sheens in oil can).
And sir, people over on TCC rarely agree 100% on ANYTHING.  I participated there for many years (still go there from time to time) including some of the Gun Blue / Black Oxide discussions.
I'm going to take the high-road (unless it's too late for that - LOL) and make this my last post on the subject.  So go ahead and take the last word if you'd like.
Good discussion and I wish you the best.

Edited by T-MAC

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, T-MAC said:

You aren't educating anybody sir.  We are basically talking in circles at this point but we really aren't 100% in disagreement either (for the most part anyway).
I told you why I stated that they were "basically" the same finish - even though they can look slightly different.

I did not mean to imply that Black Ox and Gun Blue (the finishes themselves) were era related.  I said that YOU would be able to tell them apart because of the putter themselves.  There were putters made in certain era's that were labelled Gun Blue and Black Oxide so someone would be able to decipher which putter had which finish if you were familiar with the putters themselves.
You are correct that the Studio Design putters were labelled as Gun Blue by Scotty.  But I have seen the Tei3's labelled as Black Oxide.  Years ago when I used to refinish putters myself, I called BOS to ask them what finish they used on the original TeI3 putters and they said it was their shiny black oxide.  If you send a Studio Design putter in to them for refinishing they will tell you that their shiny black oxide is basically the same finish as the original.  In fact, the Classic 1 putters, which of course pre-dates both the TeI3's and the SD Series, had a black oxide finish and they were also plenty shiny when new.
 I also never said that all black 009's had a polished black oxide finish (in fact I never mentioned 009's at all).  I said that many of the black Tour putters were going to the Brushed Black finish because it had less sheen (and it was also thought to be more durable).  I personally have not seen a matte black ox finish on a 009 (in original condition).  Not saying there aren't any but there is no reason to produce one when the more durable brushed black finish is available.
The only reason I spoke about the different sheens for oil can is because you claimed that "you will never see a matte or regular oil can finish".  -That is not accurate and you are dead wrong.
That is what BOS's 3x's finish is all about (3 different sheens in oil can).
And sir, people over on TCC rarely agree 100% on ANYTHING.  I participated there for many years (still go there from time to time) including some of the Gun Blue / Black Oxide discussions.
I'm going to take the high-road (unless it's too late for that - LOL) and make this my last post on the subject.  So go ahead and take the last word if you'd like.
Good discussion and I wish you the best.

you stated that both black oxide finish and gun blue finish putters are polished before their finishes are applied, that’s why I brought up a black oxide 009. All of the duller black oxide 009s you have seen in your life look this way because the heads were unpolished before their finishes were applied. They are certainly not matte. It’s still relatively shiny. Just not gun blue shiny. 

I would challenge the statement that you’ve seen a TeI3 labeled black oxide from Scotty. Always gun blue from what I’ve seen. However, there are quite a few errors in the putter archive, so it’s not impossible. I know their COAs do not have a 100% batting average when it comes to perfect accuracy (though I’m sure it’s very close - some things slip through the cracks).

I also don’t agree that there are any black oxide classics that match the gun blue sheen. They’re shiny for sure, like many black oxides, but it’s just a different look. To each their own. 

I’ve enjoyed the discussion as well. Didn’t enjoy my initial reply getting laughed at when it’s simply correct 🙂

Edited by Shwagin1066