2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Advice requested- P770 vs P790 forgiveness

bm11

First- this is not the first thread on this subject, but I do believe my case is different enough to warrant a new one. Summarizing before I get into the detail- I'm a high handicap, I want to custom fit Axiom 105s shafts in, and I already own a set of 2023 P770's. 

I was a lefty golfer from the time I started in 2016 until the end of the 2022 season where I made the decision to start over as a righty. I ordered Taylormade Stealth Irons with the stock Fujikura Ventus Red graphite shafts, played out the remainder of that season with those and all of the 2023 season. In that time I progressed from "beginner, not really keeping score" to "I broke 100 a couple times at the end of the season". My home course/mens tees is a par 70, 69.8 course rating/ 124 slope rating 6054 yard course.

Over the winter, I put in a lot of work in my home simulator. I also went on a club buying spree, here on the BST. I bought another set of Stealth irons, with PX 5.5's, a set of Mizuno MP20's with X100's, and a set of 2023 P770's with KBS Tour 120s shafts. 

This season I've been playing more than ever (16 rounds in so far since my club opened at the end of April) and I've been practicing daily. My handicap is still quite high, at 26.5. I haven't been able to hit anything longer than a 4 iron effectively, but have been shooting in the mid 90's to low 100's primarily playing a 5 iron off the tee. I have been using Arccos, which established a goal of a 13 handicap by the end of the year. My main areas of improvement are driving and approach, my short game and putting stats are comparable to a 13 right now (per Arccos.) Obviously my main area of opportunity is grooving in a functional driver, 3 wood, or even a hybrid swing, which will bring down my Driving and Approach stats. That is not the purpose of this thread, however.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss P770 vs P790 forgiveness, as what I want to do is re-shaft a set with Axiom 105s shafts. I borrowed my club pro's 8 iron (I've been taking lessons from him) in that configuration today (Axiom 105s, P790, .5 inch long.) The club felt great. The reason I want to go Axiom is because I have a reasonably fast swing speed and have better feel with stiffer/heavier shafts, don't mind spending the extra money, but suffer from lateral epicondylitis. I figure that graphite will allow me to practice and play with less aggravation, and the more practice and play, theoretically the faster my handicap will drop. 

I really liked the P790 I hit today. I wish I knew I was going to be hitting it, as I would have brought my P770's to compare. I easily hit it better than my Stealth 8 Iron (comparable distance on the range with less dispersion,) and would have no problem justifying buying a set matched to what I hit today. That said- owning P770's already brings the logical conclusion- "should I re shaft these instead?" Obviously my handicap indicates that these are well above my ability level. That said, I don't find the smaller heads to be intimidating, and I've found that I actually hit the smaller heads better (dispersions are closer to the sweet spot than larger heads.) 

The biggest difference, other than head size, is the loft difference. I'm not sure I need the stronger lofts- I generate a fair amount of club head speed for someone my handicap- with the ridiculous lofts of the Stealths, my 8 iron is my 170 club. 

So, in conclusion- my goal is to get into a high end graphite shaft primarily for the purpose of comfort and have a set that I'll play for a while. I own 770's, but am willing to buy 790's if they make more sense. I'm also willing to buy 790's in the long irons only and order them in the suggested lofts for a combo set. 

Just looking for some input from those who have hit both extensively. Either way I go I'll be putting in the work. 

Thanks!

P790s do 2 things IMHO

1. There is a confidence factor with the extra chunk for some especially in the long irons

2. Thin strikes I find are a bit better with the 790 then the 770

Otherwise, loft for loft ball speeds are pretty similar and the newer 790 have better spin consistency then gen 1.

FWIW, I have been blending 790s and 770s for a few years now, and currently have previous gen of both, MMT 105s.

25 minutes ago, Chunkitgood said:

Per Mr. Maltby it appears that the difference is the P790 has the cog more towards the toe and lower, and a little higher MOI.

That is, they can be described as more forgiving, or as providing less feedback on poor shots.  If you really plan to put in the work, take care of the tennis elbow first.

Thank you! As to the tennis elbow- it's something I've been dealing with since I started golfing, and I could fill a whole thread with everything I've done to address it. In short- cortisone (twice) didn't fix it, time off didn't fix it, the only things that have "worked" are being diligent with PT exercises, especially Tyler Twists, and icing them. That, combined with constantly working on my swing flaws to reduce stress on the elbows. Fortunately, I'm at the point now where I can hit a full bag of balls on the range, play 18 holes, come back and hit another bag and play another 18. It used to be bad enough that I could only hit 20-30 shots every other day and deal with pain on the back 9 on days I played. 

My hope is that graphite shafted irons bring me another step closer to "curing" the problem. 

23 minutes ago, bvanlieu said:

P790s do 2 things IMHO

1. There is a confidence factor with the extra chunk for some especially in the long irons

2. Thin strikes I find are a bit better with the 790 then the 770

Otherwise, loft for loft ball speeds are pretty similar and the newer 790 have better spin consistency then gen 1.

FWIW, I have been blending 790s and 770s for a few years now, and currently have previous gen of both, MMT 105s.

Thanks! I learned this winter that I am not bothered by small clubheads at all. If anything, I think it focuses me more as the quality of strike in proximity to the center of the face goes up on a smaller head. 

I would be potentially interested in blending a set though. How do you find those MMT's on your joints?

45 minutes ago, JohnBrew said:

What happened to the Mizuno’s?

Love them! They are sim room practice queens at this juncture, I did take them out on the course early season and played a fair number of sim rounds on them this winter. I find that I hit the shorter irons quite well, the longer irons are a bit tougher to catch perfectly, and they aren't that forgiving. But they feel amazing on pure strikes. I love the way they feel to swing as well- to the point where I contemplated Axiom 125X shafts. I really think I'm better suited to a stiff right now though, and after swinging the 105S's, at least at the swing weight they were built at, they felt equally as nice to swing. 

Go graphite for the tennis elbow, 100%. I'd go for a fitting to try some of the budget options in the graphite space too. Steelfibers, Darts, and my personal favorite, the MMTs. The darts (to me) felt very linear, but both of them help up to some strong swings.

Regarding the 770/90 debate, I'd take a look at what your current miss is. If you're missing on the toe side quite often, you'll get much more help out of the 790s. If you have budget for Axioms, you probably have budget to get the lower half of the 770s reshafted, or just combo-ing them down the road.

Driver: Callaway Paradym AI 💨 💎💎💎 10.5 (-1, D): PX Denali Black 6.0

3wd: Ping G425 Max 14.5: Ventus TR Red 6s

7wd: Ping G425 Max 21.5: Ventus Blue 7s

4-5: Titleist T200 PX LZ 5.5, 6.0

6-P: Titleist T150 PX LZ 6.0

53: Edison KBS Tour

60: 🤷‍♂️ revolving wheel

If we're talking about the most current models, the P790 has actually changed noticeably per the Maltby MPF data. The current P790 is VERY low CG, one of the lowest out there in this class (player's distance iron). If your strike pattern and misses trend towards being lower on the face then they're definitely worth looking at in a combo set like you described. If you miss higher on the face though then these likely wouldn't be the best fit. 

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Qi10 15* Tensei AV White 85TX 1.0 // Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Tour X  // Bridgestone J15 CB 4i Raw Nippon GOST Tour X
Bridgestone 
J15 CB 5i-6i 26*- 30* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 6.8-7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 7i-PW 34*- 46* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM9 50* Raw F-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 59* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot // Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

@bm11

I know this is actually off-topic. 

You're a 26. Both of these TM clubs are beyond your ability as are the MP20s. You have a home simulator so I'm guessing you're not hurting for ca$h.

Switching from lefty to righty or not, the best use for your ca$h is lessons.

Find the best teacher near you and sign up.

I'll show myself out.

Good luck. 👍

• Like 3

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

59 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

@bm11

You're a 26. Both of these TM clubs are beyond your ability as are the MP20s. You have a home simulator so I'm guessing you're not hurting for ca$h.

I'll show myself out.

Good luck. 👍

Those who are not hurting for cash can always do both.  While they both require money, they are not mutually exclusive.  🙂 

12 hours ago, bm11 said:

Thanks! I learned this winter that I am not bothered by small clubheads at all. If anything, I think it focuses me more as the quality of strike in proximity to the center of the face goes up on a smaller head. 

Golf is a mental game of confidence but I don't kid myself and my level of skill while only 3mm different, I also have a set of P760s. Focus shmocus, I much prefer the P790 5 iron if I have a carry 🙂 

12 hours ago, bm11 said:

I would be potentially interested in blending a set though. How do you find those MMT's on your joints?

They are good, and familiar to a DG player though not a DG profile: impossible to get the same profile.  I have gamed several brands of composite shafts, and they all are easier on the body to me than steel, no one model being better for that just better profiles for feels depending on the player. 

8 hours ago, nsxguy said:

@bm11

I'll show myself out.

Good luck. 👍

Thanks, your advice isn’t ill received nor is it wrong. I have been working with a swing coach through the winter and have taken two in person lessons with my Club Pro already this season. I practice daily, and I have been getting better. I am capable of making legitimately good golf shots at this point and I am making more and more of them all the time, BUT, I still make plenty of beginner fats, thins, pulls, toe shots, etc.

I bought the irons I have on the BST because I liked them and I thought “maybe I could learn more efficiently with better feedback,” and ended up learning a couple things- first, I swing a heavier shaft more confidently and with better speed, and second, that I am closer to the center with smaller club heads.

The reason for this thread is only that I would like to upgrade to graphite shafts that suit me, because I believe graphite will allow me to practice and improve better through reduction of aggravation of my tendonitis.

Finally, I recognize that I’m best off playing a SGI club- which is why I’ve been playing the Stealths this season (other than a couple experimental rounds.) However, I don’t like them- they don’t look or feel good, and I don’t like them well enough to re shaft them. 

The purpose of this thread is because I wasn’t really sure how much difference the forgiveness was between a 770 (which I own) and the 790, and how much difference the loft was. I have good clubhead speed so if the main difference is primarily the distance, I thought maybe the 770’s make the most sense.

That said, it does seem as though the 790’s probably make more sense- I am a 26 which is a high handicap, and my most common misses are thins and toe shots, which according to this thread are areas that the 790’s have an advantage over the 770’s.

Finally, as others have pointed out- I can pay to blend in the 770’s later on as I progress, or even convert to my 770 full set later on.

Thanks again for the blunt reality check, you aren’t wrong!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Valtiel said:

If we're talking about the most current models, the P790 has actually changed noticeably per the Maltby MPF data. The current P790 is VERY low CG, one of the lowest out there in this class (player's distance iron). If your strike pattern and misses trend towards being lower on the face then they're definitely worth looking at in a combo set like you described. If you miss higher on the face though then these likely wouldn't be the best fit. 

Thank you. Yes, my most common misses are toe shots and thins right now. It does seem as though the 790’s make more sense. I think I’ll bite the bullet and go that route, very much doubt I’ll regret going more forgiving, and I can always restart (partially or fully) to the 770’s at the point it makes sense!

35 minutes ago, bvanlieu said:

Golf is a mental game of confidence but I don't kid myself and my level of skill while only 3mm different, I also have a set of P760s. Focus shmocus, I much prefer the P790 5 iron if I have a carry 🙂 

They are good, and familiar to a DG player though not a DG profile: impossible to get the same profile.  I have gamed several brands of composite shafts, and they all are easier on the body to me than steel, no one model being better for that just better profiles for feels depending on the player. 

Good point. I’ve hit pure 4 iron shots with my MP20’s that feel awesome and have great flight, but put a gun to my head and say “take the club most likely to put you on the green 200 yards out” and it won’t be that one.

Again, the main purpose is to get back into a fiberglass shaft. I started with fiberglass when I got my initial Stealth set, it just turns out that a 65 or 75 gram regular flex shaft isn’t the right fit for a 6’2”, 200 pound fitness nut. I have confidence the 790’s aren’t too much club for me to game, but I don’t have confidence the 770’s aren’t, hence this thread. I’ll go 790’s and at some point with enough progress I’ll look at blending in the 770’s via a reshaft.

10 hours ago, moostache said:

Go graphite for the tennis elbow, 100%. I'd go for a fitting to try some of the budget options in the graphite space too. Steelfibers, Darts, and my personal favorite, the MMTs. The darts (to me) felt very linear, but both of them help up to some strong swings.

Regarding the 770/90 debate, I'd take a look at what your current miss is. If you're missing on the toe side quite often, you'll get much more help out of the 790s. If you have budget for Axioms, you probably have budget to get the lower half of the 770s reshafted, or just combo-ing them down the road.

Excellent advice. Yes, I tend to miss on the toe side and also thin more often than not. It sounds like 790’s are the way to go for now and then maybe 770’s down the road as things progress. Thank you!

2 hours ago, elwhippy said:

P790 is longer, spins less, and hard to work the ball with. Decent forgiveness. P770 launches higher and is easy to move. Neither are truly forgiving. 

Hmm. I don't feel like I need the distance per se. And that's what's driving this debate- is the biggest difference normally the stronger lofts? Because I have plenty of clubhead speed (a well struck 8 iron of these Stealths goes 170-180 per Arccos, launch monitor shows 85-90+ MPH with that club depending on how I'm swinging that day.)

I know that the marketing is generally towards the assumption that a high handicap doesn't generate enough speed and doesn't deloft much. Those aren't my issues, it's more accuracy for me. 

4 hours ago, bm11 said:

The reason for this thread is only that I would like to upgrade to graphite shafts that suit me, because I believe graphite will allow me to practice and improve better through reduction of aggravation of my tendonitis.

I guess your title confused me "Advice requested- P770 vs P790 forgiveness:classic_laugh:

I totally get moving to graphite as a (primarily) pain-reducing measure if/when necessary.

As for 770/790 the 790 is more forgiving. I also find it somewhat "numb". Other than thin strikes, of which there is zero confusion on ANY iron, I find I have quite a bit of trouble telling a pure strike from a close, or even not so close, strike.

I can much more easily tell where on the face I struck the ball with my GI/SGI Ping G20s. Maybe it's just a lot more experience with them ? Not sure.

One small "nit" - graphite and fiberglass aren't the same. Then again, are there any fiberglass shafts anymore ?

Good luck on your journey.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

2 minutes ago, nsxguy said:

I guess your title confused me "Advice requested- P770 vs P790 forgiveness:classic_laugh:

I totally get moving to graphite as a (primarily) pain-reducing measure if/when necessary.

As for 770/790 the 790 is more forgiving. I also find it somewhat "numb". Other than thin strikes, of which there is zero confusion on ANY iron, I find I have quite a bit of trouble telling a pure strike from a close, or even not so close, strike.

I can much more easily tell where on the face I struck the ball with my GI/SGI Ping G20s. Maybe it's just a lot more experience with them ? Not sure.

One small "nit" - graphite and fiberglass aren't the same. Then again, are there any fiberglass shafts anymore ?

Good luck on your journey.

Thanks! Yeah it's more of a "I want to move to a good graphite shaft but if I am going to spend the money I want to make sure I get some longevity out of it", especially with the price of Axioms. I spent a good bit of time with my Pro's 790 8 Iron with an Axiom 105S yesterday, going back and forth with my PX 5.5 Stealth's, and I "believe" I was more consistently striking the 790 than my Stealth. Distance was similar (no launch monitor so all I had to go on was range flags) and dispersion seemed tighter. The only follow up, hence this thread, is "would it be more logical to build with my existing 2023 P770's and grow into them." I'm a bit cynical when it comes to forgiveness and distance. Distance seems to heavily be reliant on loft, and obviously if you loft a 7 iron like a 5 iron, it's going to go further than a traditionally lofted 7i. As far as forgiveness, I feel relatively cynical about that as well- I am fortunate enough to own a QC Quad, and it seems to me that "forgiveness" is really hard to quantify. Probably because I am not a consistent enough ball striker to be hitting the same spot often enough to tell the minute differences that 2mm makes, but I can say that between a blade and an SGI, if you hit either of them so far out in the toe that you can see a ball mark in the smooth section, neither shot is going to end up appreciably better. Plus, there is the whole "I find the center more on a smaller clubhead" aspect to the whole thing. 

Anyhow, a bit of a rant, but I think you see what I'm getting at. Pretty sure I'm going to go P790's. They seem like the logical move to make. 

If your main concerns are:

1-accuracy

2-forgiveness

3-fatigue

theb don’t think the 2023 770 move to 790 will be worth the expenditure. By all accounts the newest 770s are very similar to the 2021/2023 790s for forgiveness and feel while being slightly delofted. So if you get the shafts redone you could also have the 770s bent a bit at the same time to make them closer to the rather jacked distances of the stealths

But just to make sure try to do a straight comparison of your 770 to the 790 graphite again. Or even try to buy a single 770 with the graphite and compare. Either are a lot easier and cheaper than buying a whole set of 790s

2 hours ago, yinzerniner said:

If your main concerns are:

1-accuracy

2-forgiveness

3-fatigue

theb don’t think the 2023 770 move to 790 will be worth the expenditure. By all accounts the newest 770s are very similar to the 2021/2023 790s for forgiveness and feel while being slightly delofted. So if you get the shafts redone you could also have the 770s bent a bit at the same time to make them closer to the rather jacked distances of the stealths

But just to make sure try to do a straight comparison of your 770 to the 790 graphite again. Or even try to buy a single 770 with the graphite and compare. Either are a lot easier and cheaper than buying a whole set of 790s

Thanks! I'm actually not worried about the lofts on the 770's, I have plenty of speed and my ego doesn't need the whole "my 8 iron is my 170 club" thing, I'm fine with playing a 7 iron instead. I was making sure I wouldn't be making a major mistake... which I may still be. Honestly, I'm still waffling back and forth. I just went down a whole rabbit hole of whether or not "forgiveness" is a bit of a fallacy. It seems as though forgiveness is a bit vague. 

The direction I'm leaning now is to re shaft these 770's, and if that's a mistake, have the builder replace them with 790's. It's less of a risk than buying 790's and deciding to put 770's in later on. At the end of the day, I still have other sets of irons to play if this goes south. 

I don't disagree with anything above, but I think perspective is important.  I think handicap is a bad way to pick irons.  You kind of alluded to this in your Arccos assessment.  You are effectively playing with your irons, like a 13 cap player.  The 10 stroke difference is your Driver/Woods game.  If your iron game is equal to a 13 cap, but you lose 4-5 balls off the Tee box every 18 holes, that's 8-10 strokes on your handicap, that has absolutely nothing to do with how you strike your irons.  I don't know about you, but for me I had a similar issue.  I can hit my irons fine, (I still suck, but I'm not struggling with tops, chunks, or massive misses left/right) and if I threw my driver in the trash I could drop my score by 5-10 on any given weekend.  But as a garbage golfer, I don't particularly care about my score in the grand scheme, there's nothing more fun in golf (in my opinion) than trying to absolutely murder a golf ball off the tee, and I honestly don't really care if it's a detriment to my overall score.  I want to compete with my friends, but I'm not willing to sacrifice what I believe is the most fun part of golf, to do it.  Obviously, I'm an idiot, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

As for your actual question... I would re-shaft the P770s.  You said it yourself, you want those shafts, they are non negotiable.  So you lose $0 buying them in my opinion, because they are the constant in your end goal for golf.  Play with them for 1-2 months, and then decide, do you need more forgiveness or not?  If you do, by then the 2023 P790s will be on the BST and you can grab a few heads for your long irons and make a combo set, or buy a full set, and have your Axioms installed, and then you sell your 770s.  Seems like a win/win to me.

Good luck!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bm11 said:

Thanks! I'm actually not worried about the lofts on the 770's, I have plenty of speed and my ego doesn't need the whole "my 8 iron is my 170 club" thing, I'm fine with playing a 7 iron instead. I was making sure I wouldn't be making a major mistake... which I may still be. Honestly, I'm still waffling back and forth. I just went down a whole rabbit hole of whether or not "forgiveness" is a bit of a fallacy. It seems as though forgiveness is a bit vague. 

The direction I'm leaning now is to re shaft these 770's, and if that's a mistake, have the builder replace them with 790's. It's less of a risk than buying 790's and deciding to put 770's in later on. At the end of the day, I still have other sets of irons to play if this goes south. 

Seems like the most reasonable course of action. But then again, when has “reason” ever been a valid viewpoint when it comes to hulk smashing little objects made out of plastic (see post above) 

(And also do the exact same thing when “big mean driver smash” is more fun than hitting in the 80s)

But to go to your earlier point, think “forgiveness” is definitely a misnomer, or at least a sloppy catch-all phrase. Maybe it would be better to characterize what type of “forgiveness” for what type of mishit

—face open or closed?

-fatting, topping or skulling?

-Distance or dispersion?

-feel or result?

With all that, if you’re really hitting the current p770s that well but only hitting the 5 iron off the tee, as the above poster mentioned maybe it makes sense to see if reshafting and bending a 4 iron can work as a driving only iron. The stealth is already pretty delofted, and it has a larger head which should help with sweet spot size and MOI, thus better clubhead path forgiveness, though at the expense of feel which shouldn't really matter off the tee

18 hours ago, KGrinols said:

I don't disagree with anything above, but I think perspective is important.  I think handicap is a bad way to pick irons.  You kind of alluded to this in your Arccos assessment.  You are effectively playing with your irons, like a 13 cap player.  The 10 stroke difference is your Driver/Woods game.  If your iron game is equal to a 13 cap, but you lose 4-5 balls off the Tee box every 18 holes, that's 8-10 strokes on your handicap, that has absolutely nothing to do with how you strike your irons. 

No, he's not. See below

On 5/31/2024 at 12:59 PM, bm11 said:

My main areas of improvement are driving and approach, my short game and putting stats are comparable to a 13 right now (per Arccos.) Obviously my main area of opportunity is grooving in a functional driver, 3 wood, or even a hybrid swing, which will bring down my Driving and Approach stats. That is not the purpose of this thread, however.

So if his "short game and putting" via an objective(?) source (Arccos) is roughly about a 13, and he's a 26, it suggests his "driver and approach game" is far worse than a 26.

And frankly, given his switching from lefty to righty, I can certainly understand it. It's something I (& most of us ?) would never even try.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

20 hours ago, nsxguy said:

No, he's not. See below

So if his "short game and putting" via an objective(?) source (Arccos) is roughly about a 13, and he's a 26, it suggests his "driver and approach game" is far worse than a 26.

And frankly, given his switching from lefty to righty, I can certainly understand it. It's something I (& most of us ?) would never even try.

You are correct in your assessment. Really, it's driving that's the worst- I am not currently playing anything other than an iron off the tee, which leaves really long shots into the green (also effecting my approach stat.) I'm playing my 5 iron on every par 4 and par 5, it's a Stealth which is a 21 degree, which really makes it pretty close to a 3 iron. And while it's getting better all the time, I'm still finding I mishit more shots off a short tee than I should (thin.) 

I'm in an odd spot relative to my handicap where I hit a fair amount of good, legitimate golf shots. And also a fair amount of really poor golf shots. 

The conclusion I'm coming to is that the Stealth iron's are probably the best thing for my game currently, but not for my body (steel shafts and elbow tendonitis). Ironically, I already own a set of them in graphite that I played all last year, but the shaft weight and flex just feels all wrong, and I don't like them well enough or long term enough to re-shaft them with Axioms. What I'm going to do is re-shaft the P770's and practice the hell out of them, play with them. If I find them too frustrating to play, I still have the Stealth's. If need be, I'll get a more economical graphite shaft into the Stealth's until I can play the 770's effectively. 

Thanks for the input!

20 hours ago, GHIN n Juice said:

The 790s are fractionally more forgiving but the lack of spin off the mid to long irons make them unplayable for me.  If you’re a low spin player who can hit a green with a 5-7i u better hit it a mile in the air to offset the low spin.

Yeah, I have been dealing with that exact issue lately. Yesterday, for example- pin was 210 yards out on a par 3. I played a 5 iron (my Stealth 21 degree) and hit a good shot (for me). Dead straight, pitched just in front of the green. It rolled all the way through and off the back. Same exact shot and scenario on a par 4 in my last round, same result. 

• Like 1