2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

58* for bunker?

shGGman

people who uses 58* wedge for bunker shots majority of the times!
I thought most uses 54~56* for bunker shots, but I guess a lot of people uses 58*.
I never use LW lofted wedges for bunker shots, always 54 or 55 or 56.

So question is, those who uses 58* for bunker shots ALL the times(around the green ones), how is it?
Is it harder to manage out of the bunker than 54~56* SWs? Any famous tour players or pros doing this(for a little validation)?

I wonder if 58* is more verstile to use on the bunker than 54~56* wedges on various condition(soft sand, firm, etc).

p.s: Im strictly talking about bunkers around the green only. fairway bunkers don't count.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a difficult question to answer. I use a 58d. and find it much better for me. I would also consider myself above average in the bunker. If you're looking for a club to make you a better bunker player, I doubt if this will do it. I can hit any club pretty well. You will need to work on your bunker game first.

Titleist 917D3 9.5
Titleist 917F2 13.5d
Titleist 818H2 17d. hybrid
Mltizuno JPX-850 forged 4-pw
Scratch 8620 53d..
Odyssey white hot tour #2

hmm. Well Im more of a "stick to one thing" guy.

If I decide on a club, I practice that club for like 3 days straight, hitting like 300 balls a day just with that club.

I get a total sense of that club during those 3 days which stays with me for very long time unless I change to a new club.

I plan on bunker practice this coming weekends from Friday to Sunday. I don't know if I should set my mind on 58* for the bunker or 54*.

I know question is about the whole damn condition of the bunker and location, but I can get verstile with a club so I don't really care about the rest unless I find it very uncomfortable.

If I decide to practice with 58*, I know I will stick with that anywhere I go(any bunker Im in) for a very long time.

Those of you about to say "practice what YOU are comfortable and better with", I know thats true.

I simply want to hear some opinions from different people with difference experiences/handicaps.

For a little self intro, im a mid-handicapper who feels very comfortable with SW/LW chipping, but not so confident when the ball is on the sand.

Don't get me wrong, I still manage to get the ball out the bunker most of the times, but Im working on more accuracy and more control here.

Any theories, stories, self know-hows, experiences, etc all appreciated.

I play my 53° on bunker shots that I want to run a little. But there are deep, short green side bunkers that require the loft of a 58° to get up and out. You really need to be versatile. If you practice with the 54° and find yourself in a "DEEP ONE", you are going to be lost. Keep and open mind, playing golf is a game of thinking on the course.....not just practicing one shot and always hitting that shot, regardless of the proper play. Good luck.

Callaway Epic Speed ♦♦♦LS 9° Ventus 6S
Callaway Epic Speed 13.5° Ventus 7S
Taylormade P790 4-P DG105 S300

Taylormade  MG3 52° - 58°

Piretti Matera GSS

Titleist ProV1 

It depends on wat sort of sand is in the bunker, and how far I'm hitting it for me. For soft sand, I'll always use my 56 as it has more bounce. I will also use it on longer shots where I need less spin and more distance. Normally, though, I use a 60* because of the bunkers I play in (a lower bounce is preferable), the extra spin and height control I get. Its just a matter of choice, but I find being versatile and having more choices makes me a much better golfer from any lie and any position on the course.

i used to use a 56* for all greenside bunkers, then one day for whatever reason i was hitting them waaaay too far, i dunno if i was catching too much ball or swinging too hard or what, but i just could not hit a bunker shot. then decided to try using a 60*. i use that club now for every bunker shot up to 75 yards. for a little info it's a callaway x-forged c-grind 60* with 9* of bounce. i love it, i can hit any bunker shot with it, i can hit it nice and high, i can hit a low chunk and run. i went from a very below average bunker player to now, if i'm gonna miss the green, i'd almost rather miss it in a greenside bunker because i feel so comfortable with it. i think the extra loft gave me the confidence to really make a full swing and not have to worry about flying over the green. also the less bounce may have something to do with it. the sand at the courses i play is pretty soft, but the 14* of bounce on my sand wedge was too much. the 9* seems just perfect for firm or soft sand. it's funny, my sand wedge has now become just a full swing club and the lob wedge has become my new sand wedge.

WITB 2023
- Srixon Zx5 mkII 10.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55s
-TSi2 16.5* Accra FX 2.0
-TSi2 18* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-TSi2 21* hybrid, Fuji Motore F3
-ZX7 5-PW, Fuji Pro 85
-50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore TR, Fuji Pro 95 TS
-Sik Pro-C
-2023 Z-Star Diamond

I use a 52 58 combo, and the 58 gets used for all greenside bunkers. I sometimes have a problem getting it to go far enough though. If the pins further away than the centre of the green, i'm unlikely to reach. whether Thats my technique or the club i'm not sure. I have a good chance of an up and down if the pins close though, so i've stuck with it for now.

56* is my weakest lofted club so that's what I use for sand, flops and shorter pitches & chips. My GW is a 52.

Given the choice of a 54 or 58 and that I want to stick with just one of these for bunker play, I'd take the 58 as I'd rather close my set-up for a longer bunker shot than have to open up a 54 for a shorter, higher one.

Also it seems like more players are using an LW from bunkers these days with a squarer set-up than the more traditional open-style one.

However, as others have pointed out, it's more beneficial to be comfortable using both and to be able to use them in the differing situations that present themselves during play.

I use a 57.5 wedge for greenside bunkers, but i play it wide open alot, so you can't really go by the stated loft for me. The closer to the pin, the more i open it up. I wonder how many who use a 56* or lower greenside actually open it up increasing the loft past 58*

I always play bunkers very open - so my 56* and 60* is well past that :). I vary height by knee bend, how far i hit behind the ball for spin and how far I swing back for distance :good:

I used to carry a TM 58° instead of my current 56° 60° setup, and I thought it was a great sand club. I only changed back to the 56-60 set up because with the 58, I couldn't did some of the shots off the turf that I can with a 60....

WITB
Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Chrome S 65

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

I use my 58 for all greenside bunkers. I am confident I can get it out and not scald it across the green.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

I'm a 52 and 58 combo guy. That said it all depends on the shot you need to hit, green to work with, lip etc. I would say the majority of the time I'm using hte 58 for a routine bunker shot. It is not the strongest part of my game but I get it out and on. Part of it for me is I'm the most comfortable with it, I use my 58 all over the place around the green.

As far as tour players, many carry a 58 but I don't know how many use them out of greenside bunkers as their club of choice.

Taylormade M3 9.5 Tensei
Taylormade M4 (x2) Tensei
Adams Pro 22* Aldila Red
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro KBS Tour 4-PW
Bettinardi 52 & 58
Bettinardi BB8f

I say go with the 58* . . . then a stock sand shot will get you out of deep greenside bunkers.

And if the bunker is not deep, whatever you'll still be out in one and flying it the distance you want and you'll be able to help put a little "stop" on the ball with trajectory.

What would you rather do- open up a 54* to hit it high or hit a stock 58* a little farther? I prefer to hit a 58* farther.

I use my 60* for almost all of my bunker shots. I stupidly "pin seek" a lot get shortsided. I generally need a lot of height on my bunker shots and just can't get it done with a 54* unless I am covering a lot of distance.

I would say go with the 58*. It should get you out of ANY greenside bunker without having to overswing.

I mix and match my 52* and my 60* wedges out of the bunker. My 60* is my favorite out of the bunker though, I use it up to about 25yds out of the bunker(sometimes more if it is hard packed). Annika Sorenstam did a "Playing Lessons with Pro" and showed how she opens and closes her wedge to control distance out of a bunker,it was pretty slick,I learned alot.Todd

I mix and match my 52* and my 60* wedges out of the bunker. My 60* is my favorite out of the bunker though, I use it up to about 25yds out of the bunker(sometimes more if it is hard packed). Annika Sorenstam did a "Playing Lessons with Pro" and showed how she opens and closes her wedge to control distance out of a bunker,it was pretty slick,I learned alot.Todd

Closing the clubface in a bunker...not a good idea IMO.

Its a great idea if you have a buried lie or are playing an explosion shot

As a high handicapper I have to keep everything as simple as possible so I use my highest-lofted wedge from bunkers unless it's a long (25+ yard) bunker shot. When I carried a 60-degree Cleveland 900 that's what I used out of the bunkers. Now I have a Vokey SM 58.08 and that's what I use as long as the sand is firm.

My home course at times has super-fluffy, dry, powdery sand and I tend to dig it too much with the Vokey so I also have one of those Cleveland wide-soled hacker wedges that I use on days when the sand is the most fluffy. No control over distance with it but it gets it out and gets it on line every time no problem. I think it has 60 degrees of loft. One day soon I'll spend a couple hours in the practice bunker and learn to take the right amount of fluffy sand with the 58-degree and the Cleveland RS can go back in the closet.

10 capper, I use 58 for everything around green. Mine is Ping M/B with "variable bounce", which I still think is more high bounce than low. Nonetheless, I can use it in sand and rough (or hardpan) under almost any conditions. Sand is no problem for me; I do prefer it to most lies in the rough.

I have played with a 60* low bounce wedge, but it just didn't do much I can't do with my 58*. I prefer my 52*/58* setup rather than adding another wedge to go 52*/56*/60*.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Its a great idea if you have a buried lie or are playing an explosion shot

I am not talking about the club face even getting to square,just in between laid completly wide open and half way open for the longer shots always using the bounce to keep the club from digging. And sometimes you can use it squared up in buried lies cause you need the club to dig to get under the ball. Todd