2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Hathaway V4 and V6 inter-changeable drivers

maggot

Anyone seen or played one yet?
Was hoping someone had seen on or had a piccy. They have the Dual Face Technology.

Dual Face = Maximum Ball Speed
+ Largest Sweet Spot
By Michael Cheng

Longer drive and larger sweet spot have always been the holy grails in golf. In the earlier days, golf designers manipulated face thickness to enhance its co-efficient of restitution (COR) to produce a longer driving distance. Since the adoption of COR standard by the USGA, meeting its legal limit has become a default standard amongst reputable driver in the market place.

cone_face.jpgThe variable face thickness concept was not invented over night. It was widely known amongst golf designers and top players that by grinding the club face the driving distance can be notably improved. The first invention that bore some resemblance to the current implementation was the patent filed in 1994 by Glenn Schmidt and Richard Helmstetter of Callaway Golf. It called for a gradual increase of vertical thickness from toe and heel toward the center of the club face. This early implementation was simply a way to prevent stress failure of the striking face.

Six years later in 2000, the first contemporary oval shape design that places thicker face behind the sweet spot emerged. It was again pioneered by Callaway. Titleist soon followed. In 2002, Ping filed the first patent on the reversed cone face structure. Not to be left behind, TaylorMade followed up with its own version of it soon after.

There are several schools of thought on the variable face thickness: dome, reversed cone, and x face. They all intend to accomplish the same objective of putting just enough thickness behind the sweet spot to prevent stress failure and less thickness around the rest of the club face. By manipulating the thickness contrast between the sweet spot and the area outside of it, the trampoline effect is maximized.

With COR standardized, golf designers are once again tasked to outdo themselves. The new challenge is to maximize ball speed under the COR limit of 8.30. As a long-time supplier to the long drive circle, I noted over a decade ago that the extent of the club face percussion can be identified by striking the driver face with the edge of a quarter. A sharp and high-pitched sound usually associates with a high percussion.

Based upon our previous patented invention about using a sandwiched titanium structure to improve structural strength that was used in our Titanium Lite and Impulse shafts, I figured that a sandwiched titanium face would naturally be thinner and stronger than a one piece structure as advocated by most golf companies. The best analogy is to compare plywood and solid wood. A piece of properly constructed plywood is stronger than its equivalent in solid wood. This was the origin of the dual face invention, and this concept was granted a patent by the U.S. Patent Office in 1999.

By using a dual face structure, it allows us to create a much larger sweet spot with a much higher ball speed upon impact as compared to the single layer club face structure. You do not need to wait long. This dual face technology will be built into the upcoming Hathaway V4 and V6 inter-changeable drivers to be distributed by Harrison.
Source http://www.harrison.com/hs-news_dualface60508.html

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KZG and Nicklaus Golf have used dual face technology in their drivers for about 3 years now. These sound interesting as well.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='drewplatt' post='1908768' date='Aug 23 2009, 10:19 AM']I used to work for this company. The drivers are just a cheap open model they picked out from some foundry in China and doctored up to look good.[/quote]

The Hathaway V-Series V4 and V6 Drivers are in no way "cheap random models" that were picked out of a lot. The design and manufacturing of the V-Series Drivers rivals that of any Golf Equipment Manufacturer. The Plasma Dual Face Design, and Extreme 4X4 Platform is as sophisticated a design as is available to date. I implore anyone to try the product or read an [b][u]official[/u][/b] review and not the rantings of a disgruntled ex-employee before forming any opinions.

[quote name='wrangler00' post='1931389' date='Sep 3 2009, 04:25 PM'][quote name='drewplatt' post='1908768' date='Aug 23 2009, 10:19 AM']I used to work for this company. The drivers are just a cheap open model they picked out from some foundry in China and doctored up to look good.[/quote]

The Hathaway V-Series V4 and V6 Drivers are in no way "cheap random models" that were picked out of a lot. The design and manufacturing of the V-Series Drivers rivals that of any Golf Equipment Manufacturer. The Plasma Dual Face Design, and Extreme 4X4 Platform is as sophisticated a design as is available to date. I implore anyone to try the product or read an [b][u]official[/u][/b] review and not the rantings of a disgruntled ex-employee before forming any opinions.
[/quote]

does that make you the company director then wrangler00.............. :welcomeani:

[quote name='wrangler00' post='1931389' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:25 AM']The Hathaway V-Series V4 and V6 Drivers are in no way "cheap random models" that were picked out of a lot. The design and manufacturing of the V-Series Drivers rivals that of any Golf Equipment Manufacturer. The Plasma Dual Face Design, and Extreme 4X4 Platform is as sophisticated a design as is available to date. I implore anyone to try the product or read an [b][u]official[/u][/b] review and not the rantings of a disgruntled ex-employee before forming any opinions.[/quote]

Where can we read an "Official" review?

[quote name='jowwy' post='1931449' date='Sep 3 2009, 10:49 AM'][quote name='wrangler00' post='1931389' date='Sep 3 2009, 04:25 PM'][quote name='drewplatt' post='1908768' date='Aug 23 2009, 10:19 AM']I used to work for this company. The drivers are just a cheap open model they picked out from some foundry in China and doctored up to look good.[/quote]

[/quote]

does that make you the company director then wrangler00.............. :welcomeani:
[/quote]

[quote name='03trdblack' post='1931526' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:25 AM'][quote name='wrangler00' post='1931389' date='Sep 3 2009, 11:25 AM']The Hathaway V-Series V4 and V6 Drivers are in no way "cheap random models" that were picked out of a lot. The design and manufacturing of the V-Series Drivers rivals that of any Golf Equipment Manufacturer. The Plasma Dual Face Design, and Extreme 4X4 Platform is as sophisticated a design as is available to date. I implore anyone to try the product or read an [b][u]official[/u][/b] review and not the rantings of a disgruntled ex-employee before forming any opinions.[/quote]

Where can we read an "Official" review?

[/quote]
I am not the Owner or Director at Hathaway. I am just a Senior Sales Rep who has worked very hard to convey the quality and performance value of our new Driver. As far an official review; we are waiting on results from a Robot Test conducted by Golf Laboratories in San Diego, CA. We had them test the Hathaway V4 Driver head to head with a TaylorMade R9. We are expecting the results very shortly. We have sold hundreds of these drivers since their launch in June of this year, and have received great reviews from all of our dealers.

This specific product is distributed in a "club builders package". This gives the opportunity for anyone to have a custom fitted driver with an upgraded aftermarket shaft, for the same price or lower than an off the shelf driver with similar adjustable and interchangeable features.

I will post the Golf Lab findings as soon as they are available. Thanks for the interest, and I would be happy to answer any more questions that you may have. www.hathawaygolf.com

Kevin

We appreciate the interest, and are looking forward to offering you more quality product in the future. I have contacted the powers to be for this site and have asked them to do a review of our driver as well. I think there are many golfers on this site that would be interested in hearing about a new company that has high quality products with the newest technology that has jumped straight into the shark tank to battle with the big fish. I will be posting when I hear back from the WRX Managment.

Kevin

FYI, I do have the V4 version with the Saga installed. I have a 1.4 index and have tried out 4 drivers in the last year trying to optimize my ball flight and distance and I have finally found what I am looking for. This thing feels sweet coming off the face and seems to work really well with the Saga. I have a 9.5 degree and usually play it in the upright position to help promote a draw but like to fine tune it at the range before a round. I also purchased an extra adapter so I could interchange between two shafts. I had an extra Rombax laying around and I still hit the driver well with it, just about 10 yards shorter. This driver has been successful for me and I would recommend it to others.

• 2 weeks later...

did not want this thread to die. so, any updates on the testing of this driver and how it compares to the r9. how about those golf lab findings. curious to know how it compares to the kzg gemini. stil the longesst driver i have hit. too bad they dont make it anymore. this driver seems promising and my fitter is a no frills kind of player and only uses stuf that performs. his initial comments are promising though

The V4 and V6 Drivers carry a patented dual -face technology that has been in development for years. A few companies have "borrowed" a form of this technology. The Gemini Driver was one such product, and that is why it no longer available.

Some of our initial feedback has been that the V-Series Drivers are increasing drives by up to 25 yards. Now, of course we don't expect everyone to see these kinds of remarkable performance gains, but it is safe to say that the platform on which the V-Series is built is one of the longest and straightest combinations in the Industry.

Our product is geared for the Clubmaker, and the player who believes in getting all they can from their equipment. The benefits of a custom built golf club are immeasurable, when you are trying to get to the next level, regardless of what level you currently play to.

We are still awaiting the results from Golf Labs to see how the head to head test went, but consider this. The large OEM's are getting quicker and quicker with getting new product into the market, while the consumer is left to figure out what the differences between last weeks equipment and this weeks. Especially this year whith the down economy, the large OEM's are putting $150 drivers into the stores and saying they are better than ever. Huh? How can a driver that costs only $150 have the same tolerances and specifications as the $400 model from last year. The firat place they shaved quality was in the shaft. The stock shafts are getting weaker and lighter. This is a trend they justify by saying that it will increase swing speed, thus increasing length. I don't buy it.

Picture this...you have an R9, Dymo Str8, and a V4. The V4 is the only set up that comes stock with an Upgraded Aftermarket Shaft. The others may have the same graphics as the $300+ shafts, but there are subtle differences that differ from their aftermarket counterparts. So even if all the Adjustable and Interchangeable Drivers in the market sold at the same price, you would need to spend at least $150+ in a shaft upgrade before it would even come close.

Harrison Shafts may not be the most requested shaft out there. But they have made a high performing product at a manageable price for over 25 years. That is why the Harrison Saga has been paired with the Hathaway V-Series Drivers and the distribution rights were offered to Harrison Sports. We feel this product is second to none in its niche. No other company is selling this type of product they way we are offering it. The Clubmakers are an integral part of this business and we intend to keep it that way.

Kevin

I have had a chance to hit them and they are not a bad alternative to multiple shaft drivers. The head sets up square and has a nice feel to it although some have said it sounds a little "tingy". If you are a Harrison Saga shaft fan, I say go for it and get a good driver at a reasonable price with multiple shaft options and some adjustability on face angle.

Thanks for the imput Golfdog. Golfdog brings up a great point that I have not yet mentioned. Hathaway Golf offers additional adapters available as an accessory to allow any golfer to expand his/her options on the tee box. So there is no restriction on what shaft or shafts you want to include in your driver set-up. Any .335 shaft in the market will fit the adapter. If you want a Saga 60S for the clear warm days and maybe a higher flexpoint stiff tip shaft for the cold/rainy days, you can switch them out as easy as screwing in a light bulb. It makes the interchangeablr feature of these types of products a little more reasonable. As far as the sound, great care was taken to make sure the V-Series had a peticular sound that was loud, but not too loud:)

The Testing on the Saga was completed on an Alpha head for 2 reasons.

1. The Hathaway V-Series Driver was not completed until May of this year. The Harrison Saga was launched early 08. That leaves 13+ months for the Saga to prove itself in the Market and on Tour before any decisions were made as to what shaft the V-Series Driver was to be paired with.

2. The Shaft test conducted last year on the Saga was of course done at Harrison's request. A third party head would have been used in any case. The reason being, a test using a third party head shows no favoritism or preference to one company or the other when testing for performance.

It is true the website has taken longer to build than we originally anticipated, but not to worry; It will be fully operational very soon, complete with dealer locator, forum and a product reviews section.

Just heard from Golf Labs, the Drivers are to be tested sometime this week or early next week. I should have the results shortly after. We look forward to seeing exactly how the two drivers stack up to each another. Included in the test was the Hathaway V4 w/ the Harrison Saga 60S and the TaylorMade R9 460 w/ the stock Matore 60S. I will have to double check, but i believe they were both 9.5* heads. I will post as soon as available. Thanks for the interest.

Kevin

[quote name='wrangler00' post='1978124' date='Sep 29 2009, 12:15 PM']Just heard from Golf Labs, the Drivers are to be tested sometime this week or early next week. I should have the results shortly after. We look forward to seeing exactly how the two drivers stack up to each another. Included in the test was the Hathaway V4 w/ the Harrison Saga 60S and the TaylorMade R9 460 w/ the stock Matore 60S. I will have to double check, but i believe they were both 9.5* heads. I will post as soon as available. Thanks for the interest.

Kevin[/quote]

It would be even better if you could test the V4 w/ the Saga as well as the R9 460 w/ the Saga to remove the variable you mentioned above. This way you can have a head vs. head comparison and take the shaft variable out of the mix.

Since you mentioned that the stock shafts are watered down versions of the expensive ones, it would help to prove that the head is potentially superior by testing with the same shaft. Otherwise you are just proving that your driver is better because of the shaft, but not potentially better than the r9 460 with a Saga installed.

[quote name='03trdblack' post='1978304' date='Sep 29 2009, 01:56 PM'][quote name='wrangler00' post='1978124' date='Sep 29 2009, 12:15 PM']Just heard from Golf Labs, the Drivers are to be tested sometime this week or early next week. I should have the results shortly after. We look forward to seeing exactly how the two drivers stack up to each another. Included in the test was the Hathaway V4 w/ the Harrison Saga 60S and the TaylorMade R9 460 w/ the stock Matore 60S. I will have to double check, but i believe they were both 9.5* heads. I will post as soon as available. Thanks for the interest.

Kevin[/quote]

It would be even better if you could test the V4 w/ the Saga as well as the R9 460 w/ the Saga to remove the variable you mentioned above. This way you can have a head vs. head comparison and take the shaft variable out of the mix.

Since you mentioned that the stock shafts are watered down versions of the expensive ones, it would help to prove that the head is potentially superior by testing with the same shaft. Otherwise you are just proving that your driver is better because of the shaft, but not potentially better than the r9 460 with a Saga installed.

[/quote]

That was mentioned many times in our sales meetings. However, we wanted to test the out of the box comparisons first. Remember, this is not a component head. It is a complete driver. It is Hathaway putting its best up against whatever other drivers are present in the market. The upgraded shaft included in the V-Series Package is part of the benefit you get with the Hathaway Product.

I am sure more than one of our customers will be doing a direct head to head test using the same shaft (possibly 3rd party product). Keep yours eyes peeled, as I will post any results I receive. We are very proud of the quality and performance of the head, and welcome any one of our customers to conduct any tests they deem necessary. But, this package was set up and manufactured to not only compete at a higher level of performance but also set up and priced to compete in a market that is based on margins. The shop owners get a chance to actually make money selling a driver and the golfer gets the satisfaction in knowing they didn't overpay for a sub-standard piece of equipment.

Thanks, Kevin

Okay, the V4 is on its way to a Golfwrx equipment tester for a review. I hear it could be posted as early as the weekend. I look forward to hearing what he has to say about the Hathaway V4. I expect it to be along the same lines as what our customers are saying, and what golfers are also telling us.

The best thing about the Hathaway V-Series Drivers is the fact that they promote using a club fitter to properly fit you into a piece of equipment. There will never be a Driver that you buy of the rack that will fit you better, or perform better than a club that that was specifically made for you. When combined with the benefits of the V-Series Dual-Face and 4 Max Technologies, a custom build will create the longest most forgiving club you have ever hit. That is why Hathaway is incorporating the help of Licensed Club Fitters to take our elite Driver Package and 4X4 Technology to the next level.

Just an update for those of you who are looking for a product review for the Hathaway V-Series Drivers. I just got off the phone with the GOLFWRX equipment reviewer, and he said he will have something by next week. He is test hitting the V4 9.5* w/ a Saga 70X. That's the setup that was requested, and I look forward to hearing what he has to say. His preliminary feedback was extremely positive, as he was also having other skilled golfers hit it as well. Thanks for holding tight until we get these findings out, we appreciate all the interest.

Kevin
[attachment=476214:v4_head_pic.jpg][attachment=476213:v6_head.jpg]

[quote name='cmilz99' post='1994959' date='Oct 8 2009, 03:54 PM']well, the only down side i can see of the club, is that it sits closed at the "neutral" setting...[/quote]
That's the best part about the technology. If you don't want it closed, you can open it. The loft is only effected by .5* while the face angle changes incrementally by 1.5*, thus giving more accomplished players the open face they desire.

Kevin

• 3 weeks later...

I am waiting to hear back from the GOLFWRX tester. The Golf Labs test is being run this week. There was a communication problem for the first test, so it is being re-done. Thanks for your patience, and I will post results as soon as they are available.

As far as the retail price goes, most fitters and builders are offering the Hathaway V-Series Drivers at the $299 retail MSRP. You may find some fitters that will charge additional fitting and labor charges, as this product is sold as an un-built custom driver. If anyone needs help locating a dealer, let me know.

Kevin
[email protected]