2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

I'll say it time and time again. I don't care what a person wears on the course. It really makes absolutely no difference to me. Its all about how they respect the course and the other golfers on the course.

I play at a public Muni. . .I'll never own a country club pass. . .This course is the best kept in the area, has 27 holes. I like to be comfortable on the course, so personally, I don't wear jeans. Heck, I don't hardly wear jeans at all. I'm either in slacks for work or cargo pants/maybe some Adidas warm-ups or something. So, I'm not advocating jeans because I wear them.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no matter the time of year (thank god i live in california and we don't really have a TRUE winter in my area), i wear a pair of shorts (possibly a pull-over if it is really cold out). i guess it's because i grew up playing soccer and never really feel comfortable wearing pants while doing any kind of exercise/sport.

personally, if you want to wear jeans, feel free. if you don't, that's fine by me.

For the people that find jeans to not be functional, I totally understand your feelings. If they feel restrictive to the golf swing, thats a perfect excuse. If you don't like them because....well, you just don't like to wear jeans, cool.

But....for the people that pass judgement on all the other golfers that are wearing jeans.....I'm guessing that you probably

A. Think your high class because you play golf.

B. Trying your best to look like a golfer because you sure as hell don't play like one.

C. Got your a** handed to you by the Marlboro man.

"Oh Porterhouse, look at the wax build up on these shoes I want that wax stripped off there, then I want them creamed and buffed with a fine chamois, and I want them now. Chop chop. " :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

For the people that find jeans to not be functional, I totally understand your feelings. If they feel restrictive to the golf swing, thats a perfect excuse. If you don't like them because....well, you just don't like to wear jeans, cool.

But....for the people that pass judgement on all the other golfers that are wearing jeans.....I'm guessing that you probably

B. Trying your best to look like a golfer because you sure as hell don't play like one.

"Oh Porterhouse, look at the wax build up on these shoes I want that wax stripped off there, then I want them creamed and buffed with a fine chamois, and I want them now. Chop chop. " :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I have to agree. I think the "uppity" mentality that goes along with golf sometimes is the worst part of the game. "A Gentlemen's Game". . .I've heard it called this countless times, and I wonder. . .who decides what makes a gentlemen?

To me, its all about skill, etiquette, having fun, and maybe improving my game. The silly crap like described above. . .OLD, OLD, OLD. I get so tired of the pompous attitude that is so often associated with golf.

About 90% of the time I wear jeans and a plain T-shirt on the golf course. The course I play at is obviously super laid-back about its dress code policy and I can get away with it. I could probably play in pajamas if I wanted to.

On occasion though, I like to dress up in nice black slacks and a Lacoste or Polo shirt. Whenever I dress up, it feels like I take myself and the game more seriously, which I like. The downside to that is that I also can feel more like a snooty *****.

I choose C.

Played a Quick 9 this morning in my Wranglers. Paired up with a couple of khaki wearing "players" on the first tee. The white tees no doubt. I normally play from the tips.

Player "A" introduces himself. "Hey I'm Joe,... I'm a pretty good golfer but my buddy Frank is the best I've seen". Not kidding. I couldn't make this up.

I don't ever bet on my game but I should have today. When I went 2 under on the third hole they both started to scratch their head. Needless to say, this College Educated, but Blue Collard Hack never looked back. Had them both by double digits by the ninth.

On a side note:

If any of you who are arguing that it's all about the tradition have ever worn shorts on the course then you have already lost your argument.

I would never ever ever NEVER think of wearing jeans even on the property of a golf course, never mind the course itself. Insult to the game and those around you. Denim has no place on a golf course, even if dress code allows.

...NEVER its like wearing a neon green suit to a funeral.

And to the shorts---> if they're jean cutoffs then yes, tailored shorts? no. We aren't on the pga tour here.

I would never ever ever NEVER think of wearing jeans even on the property of a golf course, never mind the course itself. Insult to the game and those around you. Denim has no place on a golf course, even if dress code allows.

And to the shorts---> if they're jean cutoffs then yes, tailored shorts? no. We aren't on the pga tour here.

I'm curious, where in the rules does it say, NO JEANS? I can't find it anywhere. . .And why is it an insult? I just can't quite figure it out, thanks for the help!

Jeans are fine, I done it before. A t-shirt is cool too for most places. I'd step it up a notch for Torrey Pines or something nice, but on your local muni, what's the point?

If your jeans don't look right, you probably got ugly jeans.

Why dress like a business man to play a sport? Play in something comfortable.

I love how everybody is against jeans, but I bet you about half of them wear athletic style golf shoes though...

Think about it

Tour issue Aeroburner TP 10.5* Diamana D+ 70x
SLDR 15* & 19* Diamana blueboard 83x
Adams Red 20* Ozik x
Macgregor Pro-C 4 Iron X100
Macgregor Pro-M 5-PW X100
Callaway Forged Copper 54 & 60*
Scotty Cameron Classic black Newport 2 34"

I'm curious, where in the rules does it say, NO JEANS? I can't find it anywhere. . .And why is it an insult? I just can't quite figure it out, thanks for the help!

The majority of clubs have a dress code along the lines of no denim and collared shirt. Really, how hard is that to follow?

The person I quoted said, "even if no dress code". . .I never wear jeans on the course, they feel like cardboard to me. And I understand that private clubs have dress codes.

I just get sick of the attitude that is associated with people that post those answers. If you read my first post, you could probably see where I'm coming from.

The majority of clubs have a dress code along the lines of no denim and collared shirt. Really, how hard is that to follow?

Ok can you tell me the exact percentage of clubs in America (not the world) that do not allow denim

Its your statement?????? I mean you said the majority so I suppose you know>???

What your stumped I mean it was your statement you said it

I am just asking that you back it up

You know...I made my vote and held off on an opinion, but here goes:

First, I think it all depends on the place and time. Many of the courses I play at are fine with jeans and it's a casual enough environment where it isn't a problem. There are other courses I play where I know better to dress it up a bit. There are many "fine" restaurants where jeans are perfectly acceptable and others where it would be rather awkward. There used to be a fairly standard dress code for the business environment, but that's relaxed quite a bit at many "forward-thinking" companies. So use your best judgment and don't judge it as a black-and-white issue.

I love the references to golf as a "gentleman's game". I think the concept is great, but god knows how many of these well dressed gentleman cheat, cuss and throw their equipment. I think before we worry about the dress-code of a gentleman's game, I think we should be more concerned with the conduct of a gentleman's game. You can cover-up a pile of crap with bouquet of roses, but beneath it all, it's still crap. Personally, I care more for how a golfer plays and conducts himself/herself than how he/she dresses.

As far as history...didn't they wear ties and long sleeve-button up shirts back in the day. I'm sure the sight of someone in a polo or a mock-neck shirt would have made golfers in the early 1900's crawl-over and die.

You comment above might be lost in translation across the pond, but i can't get my head around it.

Jeans no?

Tailored Shorts No?

But cut down Jeans Yes?

Aren't cut down jeans, well jeans?

^yeah, didn't get that...

Anyways, I've never played at a course that has allowed denim to be worn (although I have seen one or two people wearing jeans)...just don't see it often over here. For the majority of my golf I wear tailored trousers, although I'll wear dress shorts in social rounds. I honestly cant stand the feel of doing anything athletic in jeans even if we were allowed.

Here's my .02

I voted no jeans. Not because I see anything wrong with it, but I just dont think they are comfortable to golf in. I wear shorts whenever it is above 50* (I always walk) and if it is below 50* or raining I will wear some Ashworth wind/rain pants. To me it is much more comfortable to wear these than khakis or jeans.

Also, I wear jeans every single day to work and I work at a large corporation.

It's funny that it's probably the same people who call it a "Gentlemans GAME" are the same ones in other threads arguing that golf is a sport and should be taken as such. This isnt 1954 any more. They dont wear flannel uniforms in baseball, leather helmets in football, or knit sweaters in hockey. The world evolves, as much as the 'traditionalists' don't want it to.

Great point by bunana3.

If you say nay to jeans you should be saying nay to athletic style golf shoes.

For the record I say nay, to both jeans and athletic style shoes! Talk about looking really bad, how about a nice collared golf shirt, nice pair of slacks, dress belt, nice hat and a pair of cross trainer look a likes! Something about that setup is all wrong.

It's the shoes! "Oh but they are so comfortable!" That's what the jeans crowd are saying.

Jeans?

No

Jean Shorts?

No

Wifebeater T's?

No

Overalls?

No

Athletic type shoes with shorts in the summer?

Yes

Socks?

Yes

Shirt - Collar or mock style?

Yes

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

I'm going to add a "no" for ball huggers and man-thongs as well as jeans.

why-bike-shorts-should-be-black.jpg

borat-neon-green-swimsuit08.jpg

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

do you guys just not like wearing jeans?

I prefer to golf in what I prefer to wear in general when given the option, which is jeans (of course if there's a dress code I'll follow it, although a dress code will make me less likely to play there vs a course that doesn't have a dress code)

do you jean disliking golfers just not like jeans, or is there some sort of unwritten rule lost on this 30 year old baffoon :-)

Jeans on a golf course is a written rule at the many courses. Usually, most courses have rules requiring no denim and no t-shirts.

I simply love jeans and am amazed at how snobish this thread is.

Just the same the masses have spoken and the anti jeans people are clearly the winner

Hey guys if I wear pleated jeans by Docker does it count as jeans

Is it politically correct to discriminate against denim

I mean Levi's and Wrangerl built this country

Just wish I could vote denim to the PGA tour I have been a long time advocate that they wear shorts.

They let the women????

I understand your pain and your frustration of being a Denim-American. However, on Main Street American golf courses, you will be discriminated against and not allowed to play the courses that Khaki-Americans can play. You really need a Rosa Parks for the Denim Americans who will stand up and fight for the rights of Denim-Americans.

I wear Jeans more often than not, They are never old or tired looking, but single colour jeans whether thats Tan, Grey or Black coloured.

Wearing Jeans doesn't make me less polite, play worse, have bad etiquette, or fail to repair a pitch mark/divot. Having a 50 year old dress code is simply ancient snobbery of the typical upper class, captains parking spaces and all the BS that goes with golf, I truly hate. The sooner Golf gets into the real world the better, its one of the places where you step back in time the moment you park up. Why have so many said "no way"? What the hell difference does it make?

It makes all the difference. It's a gentleman's game, shrouded in hundreds of years of history and tradition. And it's far from snobbery. I am anything but a snob. Should you wear jeans and a wifebeater to a funeral? A wedding? your graduation? A job interview? How about opening a door for a woman? Saying please and thank you? And where do you want to draw that line regarding what to wear? Respect the game and its traditions.

Its not a gentlemans games, its a sport, thats pretty much it, so many people try to link it to the past and these are the ones that come up with stupid rules about socks, tailored shorts, trousers, and besides, wearing trousers has nothing to do with whether I say please and thankyou, or hold a door open?

"Respect the game and its traditions."

I respect some players and enjoy the game, but I really don't care for the stuffy club house traditions. If you want to keep the hundreds of years old traditions get out your tweed cap and Plus Fours, but people don't often simply because times change...

Actually, it is a gentleman's game. When your honor requires you to call a penalty on yourself, contrary to almost every single other sport, it is a game for gentlemen (and ladies). What some call "stuffy club house traditions" I call class and manners. Wearing appropriate clothing to an event shows the class you have. While you might get away with wearing jeans on some courses, it does reflect negatively on you. This may not be right, but it does. Its kind of like wearing jeans and a T-shirt to court for a speeding ticket. The judge and prosecutor will treat you better if you show up in a tie because you are showing respect for the judicial system. Same thing for wearing appropriate golf clothing at a course which is a way of showing respect for the game's traditions and history, both of which form the foundation for the current game of golf.

While saying please and thank you are manners, class is a little more than being polite. It is about showing those around you respect. If a guest showed up to play with me at my course in jeans, I would not say anything to the guest, but I would feel like the guest did not care enough about my friendship to make sure that the guest dressed appropriately at my course to avoid causing me any embarrassment. It would likely be the last time I would invite that person to my home course.

I have to agree. I think the "uppity" mentality that goes along with golf sometimes is the worst part of the game. "A Gentlemen's Game". . .I've heard it called this countless times, and I wonder. . .who decides what makes a gentlemen?

To me, its all about skill, etiquette, having fun, and maybe improving my game. The silly crap like described above. . .OLD, OLD, OLD. I get so tired of the pompous attitude that is so often associated with golf.

Golf is different than all other sports. Part of what makes golf different is the honor and integrity that a person has is fundamental to the game. Can anyone see me ground my club in a bunker from 75 yards away? No, but I would know. To avoid calling a penalty on myself, I do not ground the club. That is the basis for what you refer to as the pompous attitude and to what I refer to as the class as being part of the game.

Now, I am not saying that your income bracket determines if you have class or not. A very good friend of mine is a bartender and will likely be one for the foreseeable future. He is not an upper income individual by any stretch of the word. However, he understands the game of golf, its history, and he has class in abundance. While being in the lower income bracket, he is a heck of a golfer and always shows the game the respect it deserves, in addition to being a true gentleman.

As for it being a gentleman's game, and that bothering you....SERIOUSLY? I will admit that there is a minority of golfers who are not gentlemen or ladies. However, you really would want for the game of golf to exclude the gentlemen/ladies mentality? You would not want to be part of a group of people that try to act with class and manners? Uhmmm, ok, if you do not want to fit into that category, I am pretty sure you do not need to worry about it.

Golf is not just all about skill, etiquette, having fun, and maybe improving my game. While those are a large part of the game, it is also about HOW you choose to play. Do you call the water-ball or not. Do you take stroke and distance for out of bounds, or just drop another ball. Do you choose to treat others around you with respect and be true to the game of golf's rules and history or not. Wait, I guess all of that fits under golf etiquette. Just as appropriate golf clothing fits under etiquette. What makes golf a game for gentlemen and ladies is that you accept ALL of golf etiquette and try to follow it, not to just pick and choose those parts that you like the most.

It may be silly to you, but to me, what I refer to the class found in the game of golf is one of the things I enjoy about the sport. In almost every other aspect of life, politeness, respect, manners, and class have gone out the window. I enjoy going to a place (for the most part, not all of the time, just most of the time) where I will not be around uncouth individuals, where I will not have people yelling at their kids as the kids tear down the restaurant and run all over the place, where people will dress appropriately and be polite, where respect is shown for other golfers on the course and in the club, and where people are not dressed like slobs. Its nice to be there. Is this snobby....Nope, snobby is looking down at people for their socio-economic bracket. I could care less if you are wealthy, poor, or somewhere in between. However, I choose to associate with those that show respect for others and themselves. Accordingly, while I shop at Walmart, I do not make a huge amount of income, and I am solidly in the middle class right now, I can still enjoy being some place nice where most people dress and act appropriately. That is why I have not been to Panama City Beach since I was in college, and why I now prefer to go to a nice resort instead of a beach filled with dive bars. That is also why I tend to play courses where denim and t-shirts are not permitted. That is not snobby (which is about income), it is being selective (about being around those with manners and class as opposed to uncouth people).

As for:

"...the people that pass judgement on all the other golfers that are wearing jeans.....I'm guessing that you probably:

(No, that is not why I think that I am a person with some class, I am much more complicated than that. Its many more things than a simple sport that makes me who I am.)

(Nope, but are you really suggesting that a person dressing appropriately who does not like jeans on a course has no golf game or are you just trying to insult people? I have a golf game, not the best, not the worst, but it is at least solid (11 Handicap).)

(Yep, you guessed it. I got it handed to me by a marketing scheme that is 30+ years old which has caused me to look down on people that do not know how to dress appropriately. You sure did show me with that comment.)

Please note, your attempts to stereotype those that are different than you in their opinions is actually kind of sad in its attempt. Just because you choose to rebel against the establishment which is the golf community by wearing inappropriate clothing does not make the rest of us wrong. It instead shows a disturbing lack of maturity in your beliefs. Its kind of like saying you are going to go meet the president wearing jeans and a T-shirt because he is just a man. However, it is the respect for the history of the office of the presidency which dictates that you wear a little more appropriate clothing. You can say that you would wear your jeans then, just as you would on a golf course or at your job interview, but realize that it is really a reflection of you more than it is a reflection of those that would dress appropriately.

Wookieedog quote

"What some call "stuffy club house traditions" I call class and manners. Wearing appropriate clothing to an event shows the class you have."

I don't want to take issue with a particular point (but I’m going to :D) but wearing appropriate clothing to an event displays... How can I put this, the etiquette of "new money".

Class isn't defined by your cloths is it, and you can spot "new money" at an event because it stands out a mile. Clothing has nothing to do with class.

Its just a pair of trousers made from a different material, isn't it?