2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

Would you wear a jogging suit to a job interview?

Would you wear track shorts into a +/- $30 / entree restaurant?

If you were invited to a wedding at 7:30 PM (which traditionally means black tie, or at the very least a dark suit) would you wear khaki chinos and a golf shirt?

My guess is that the answer to all three of these questions is "no," and therefore the question on wearing denim to a golf club is also "no." It is inappropriate dress and is disrespectful to your host - whether your host is a club member or the proprietor of the (public) course. That does not mean that the dress code of a club is "snobbish." If a member, guest, or patron decides that they simply must wear jeans to "stick it to the MAN," that is simply spoiling for a fight for no good reason.

You know the expectations of where you are going to play. By choosing to wear jeans if prohibited by the dress code, you're doing nothing but giving a giant middle finger to that establishment, and accomplishing what, exactly?

If you want to stand on principle that by God you can wear what you want and when you want, then feel free to find a golf course where there is no dress code.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Clothing has nothing to do with class"

I guess I should say your choice of what you wear and to where you wear it is "one of the signs of class".

Old money, new money, does not matter to me. Old money is just what your daddy did and you did not manage to lose. New money is the sign of someone who worked hard or got very lucky.

As I said but may not have made clear, the amount of wealth one has does not correlate to class. For example, one of the poorest people I know is what I would describe as being more genteel and/or possessing more class than another guy I know who's family is easily among the top 2% of all Americans in wealth.

I am also not talking of brands. New money often goes out and buys the "best brands" because it it the "best". Perfect example of this is buying a Rolex. Rolex is a great company, just not the best. Other lesser known brands to the general public are better watches. Old money can spot new money because of new moneys attempt to fit in by buying for brand. However, either way, old money, new money, both will (the vast majority of the time) dress appropriately for the theater, church, weddings, funerals, or the golf course. What comprises that appropriate clothing is what separates the two.

NAY!!

And to the posters above...cargo shorts/pants have been "out" for about 10 years now.

oh really?

someone might want to tell this guy...

23kc8w4.jpg

hahaha! i knew this picture would come up (i saw him wearing this somewhere recently)...but guess what, cargo pants/shorts are still OUT!!

Let's face it, Tiger doesn't exactly have the "coolest" casual style. He wears some of the dorkiest stuff when he goes to basketball games, tennis matches, etc.

80789597.jpg?v=1&c=NewsMaker&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF193CE41B024AE96D64D5BBD8D78C975878E49AAE4E13EDE9114

Would you wear a jogging suit to a job interview?

Would you wear track shorts into a +/- $30 / entree restaurant?

If you were invited to a wedding at 7:30 PM (which traditionally means black tie, or at the very least a dark suit) would you wear khaki chinos and a golf shirt?

I have a friend who is literally a billionaire and would answer "yes" to all of those questions. He's not a hillbilly w/ no class. He's actually Japanese and that's "just the way he is"...always has been.

What a person wears can't really tell you much about them....other than their taste in clothes.

When i play with the guys in a skins game during the cold months the ground is wet and sloppy, i'll wear black jeans because of the mud. However during the warm months absolutely not.

Callaway XR 10.5/ Penley ETA 55G stiff
T. Made M-1 17*
Titleist 915 18*
4-pw Adams CMB Gold/Dynalite Gold S300 XP
SM6 52/56/60
S.C. Fastback.
Hdcp 0.3

... i'll wear black jeans ...

dsc02310-small.jpg

It's too easy... :rolleyes:

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

To me, its all about skill, etiquette, having fun, and maybe improving my game. The silly crap like described above. . .OLD, OLD, OLD. I get so tired of the pompous attitude that is so often associated with golf.

Golf is different than all other sports. Part of what makes golf different is the honor and integrity that a person has is fundamental to the game. Can anyone see me ground my club in a bunker from 75 yards away? No, but I would know. To avoid calling a penalty on myself, I do not ground the club. That is the basis for what you refer to as the pompous attitude and to what I refer to as the class as being part of the game.

I call strokes on myself, I play the game with respect. Once again, You didn't quote me. You created something that I didn't say.

Now, I am not saying that your income bracket determines if you have class or not. A very good friend of mine is a bartender and will likely be one for the foreseeable future. He is not an upper income individual by any stretch of the word. However, he understands the game of golf, its history, and he has class in abundance. While being in the lower income bracket, he is a heck of a golfer and always shows the game the respect it deserves, in addition to being a true gentleman.

As for it being a gentleman's game, and that bothering you....SERIOUSLY? I will admit that there is a minority of golfers who are not gentlemen or ladies. However, you really would want for the game of golf to exclude the gentlemen/ladies mentality? You would not want to be part of a group of people that try to act with class and manners? Uhmmm, ok, if you do not want to fit into that category, I am pretty sure you do not need to worry about it.

Manners, has NOTHING to do with how you're dressed does it? Confusing

Golf is not just all about skill, etiquette, having fun, and maybe improving my game. While those are a large part of the game, it is also about HOW you choose to play. Do you call the water-ball or not. Do you take stroke and distance for out of bounds, or just drop another ball. Do you choose to treat others around you with respect and be true to the game of golf's rules and history or not. Wait, I guess all of that fits under golf etiquette. Just as appropriate golf clothing fits under etiquette. What makes golf a game for gentlemen and ladies is that you accept ALL of golf etiquette and try to follow it, not to just pick and choose those parts that you like the most.

I said TO ME, its about skill, etiquette, etc. TO ME. If you quote ME, then quote ME. Don't create something I didn't say.

I have a great respect for the game. I don't respect the racism that used to go along with the game. I don't respect the separation of class (socioeconomic). I'm talking about being classy, or being a class-act.

Where does it say that appropriate dress is categorized under etiquette? Does it REALLY PAIN YOU, to see someone playing golf in a T and jeans? How DOES it effect you really? Or do you just assume that they are a wife-beater?

Don't worry, I'm done with this thread. Pretty much done with the crappy attitude I run into on some of these golf forums. Those of you that sit around after 18 in the club house bar and talk about the caddie's cheap shoes or whatever you uppity smart-arses talk about.

In case you're wondering. I make close to a 6 digit income. I own my home along with 2 cars. So, the fact that I'm actually in a "higher" bracket hasn't changed my attitude. I'm still playing golf because I enjoy the game. I, however, do NOT enjoy stuck up pompous p-ricks that I have to encounter on these sites.

I personally think some of you, REALLY, have it ALL WRONG.

So much of what you said proves my point. Thanks

"Clothing has nothing to do with class"

I guess I should say your choice of what you wear and to where you wear it is "one of the signs of class".

Old money, new money, does not matter to me. Old money is just what your daddy did and you did not manage to lose. New money is the sign of someone who worked hard or got very lucky.

As I said but may not have made clear, the amount of wealth one has does not correlate to class. For example, one of the poorest people I know is what I would describe as being more genteel and/or possessing more class than another guy I know who's family is easily among the top 2% of all Americans in wealth.

I am also not talking of brands. New money often goes out and buys the "best brands" because it it the "best". Perfect example of this is buying a Rolex. Rolex is a great company, just not the best. Other lesser known brands to the general public are better watches. Old money can spot new money because of new moneys attempt to fit in by buying for brand. However, either way, old money, new money, both will (the vast majority of the time) dress appropriately for the theater, church, weddings, funerals, or the golf course. What comprises that appropriate clothing is what separates the two.

Its way deeper than something you didn't manage to lose, and completely different to someone lucky or worked hard.

I see your point of view, however I think the real issue is the group of events that you perceive (along with others) are similar, theatre, church, wedding, funeral, and golf.

I assume that’s the whole point, we see this from a fundamentally different point of view.

One is just a simple sport, and activity to enjoy and enjoy with others, perhaps even be competitive. But thats really all it is...

I said TO ME, its about skill, etiquette, etc. TO ME. If you quote ME, then quote ME. Don't create something I didn't say.

I have a great respect for the game. I don't respect the racism that used to go along with the game. I don't respect the separation of class (socioeconomic). I'm talking about being classy, or being a class-act.

Where does it say that appropriate dress is categorized under etiquette? Does it REALLY PAIN YOU, to see someone playing golf in a T and jeans? How DOES it effect you really? Or do you just assume that they are a wife-beater?

Don't worry, I'm done with this thread. Pretty much done with the crappy attitude I run into on some of these golf forums. Those of you that sit around after 18 in the club house bar and talk about the caddie's cheap shoes or whatever you uppity smart-arses talk about.

In case you're wondering. I make close to a 6 digit income. I own my home along with 2 cars. So, the fact that I'm actually in a "higher" bracket hasn't changed my attitude. I'm still playing golf because I enjoy the game. I, however, do NOT enjoy stuck up pompous p-ricks that I have to encounter on these sites.

Emily Post, the Guide to Etiquette, has sections on attire, thus, the leading guide to etiquette includes clothing and attire. (Now, in full disclosure, if you go to http://www.emilypost.com/everyday/attire.htm , she does list sports casual attire as including pressed jeans. 2 points to that...1) does anyone really press their jeans? and 2) think she means watching sporting events, not participating in them.)

also, it is usually a sign of a weak argument when the person chooses to tie their argument to something everyone agree with. Not a single person on this site has posted, to my knowledge, that they loved the racism found at country clubs decades ago. That you choose to try to tie wearing jeans on a course to racism is kind of, no, not kind of, it is lame. And no, you did not directly tie it in, but you did make it part of your argument, indirectly tieing it in. You state you have respect for the game, but not the bad history of it, and, the assumption remains, that a dress code is an equally bad part of the game. However, there is no reason to discuss the negative history of the game into this thread about jeans or not.

also, why is it ok for you to hate on those people that enjoy the country club lifestyle? That is fine if you choose to not join us in the bar after a round for a beer, but why do you have to say those people are pompous, that they are p-ricks, that they are uppity, that they are smart arses, that I assume that those who wear jeans must be wife-beaters, and that we would spend our time talking of the caddy's cheap shoes. (Please rest assured that I would not assume you beat wife because you wear jeans (wow, that even sounds a little silly to type but nice try)). Now I am sorry if you have not been able to make friends at the club where you can join in the conversation and be part of the crowd, but do not insult those of us that are members of a club by attempting to demean us, and our conversations. I promise, most of what is said is not about you.

I personally think that you, REALLY, have it ALL WRONG.

So much of what you say proves my point that a 6 digit income, a nice home, and numerous cars, proves my point that does not equal class. With every statement you make, I understand why I could see you on a course wearing jeans and you prove MY point. Thanks.

Heck no to jeans! No jorts either! Tebow wears jorts!

I must confess that I didn't know what jorts are so I looked it up in the slang dictionary.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=jorts

A combination of the words "jean" and "shorts" used to describe the hideous attire, usually sported by NASCAR afficianados and men over 40. Sometimes Jorts are accessorized with a lovely cellphone belt clip and a braided leather belt, but not always. Sometimes the Jorts wearer lets the Jorts speak for themselves.

:cheesy:

There is even an entry pertaining to the orgins of the word:

The term "jorts" was first coined at the Silverado Golf Course in Scottsdale, Arizona. The staff used the word to make fun of the chops that wore jean shorts to play golf. "Jorts" are often sported with socks & sandals, Blu-Blocker sunglasses and mullets.

Please point out one example in this thread - or any thread - where someone equated golf attire with the "racism that used to go along with the game."

Please. Nice straw man to set up yourself and knock right down. That is ridiculous and you know it.

Some years ago I was one of those caddies wearing cheap shoes. I did not have two red cents to rub together besides the money I made toting bags, and I'd be damned if I wore blue jeans on any of the courses I was lucky enough to play on Monday afternoons. Many of those "uppity smart asses" helped me get through college. My "regular" players were some of the best fellows I've ever met and served as personal and professional mentors for many years if not decades.

Another question - why did you bring your personal income and assets into the discussion? What does that have to do with anything? A six-figure income might have been something to brag about - in the mid 1980s.

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

I'm certainly not interested in getting involved in a territorial pissing contest about incomes or 'respect for the game' but my experience has always been that playing at the courses in my neck of the woods has always involved conforming to a dress code. I've been a member at two private clubs in my time, but have also played a fair amount of golf at municipal and pay-to-play courses. All of them have upheld a dress code where 'proper golf attire' has been compulsory and, in nearly every case, denim jeans have been specifically prohibited either on the course or in the clubhouse. Thus, for me, it was always an unwritten (or written if we're honest) rule that you were required to wear trousers. Tailored shorts were permitted in the summer months but, with the proviso that long socks were also required, it meant that it was hardly worth the effort.

To me, I never looked on it as being something that made golf elitist or inaccessable. It was just the done thing and, if you wanted to play and be a member at those places, you toed the line. Simple as that. It wasn't discriminatory. It was simply a dress code that you adhered to. A pair of trousers is no more expensive than a pair of jeans and doesn't disqualify or discriminate against anyone or any section of the public. There are many aspects of life at a private club that do make things a pain in the backside and detract from the experience - but most of them are due to uppity members with an oversized ego rather than dress related.

Aside from the fact that I'd be for the high jump if I were to turn up at my club wearing jeans, it's simply not something I'd ever consider doing. It simply would feel wrong to me. I'll even get changed into suitable golf attire to visit the pro shop to pick something up, even when I've got no intention of setting foot on the course. It's simply what's expected at my club and to try to buck the trend would not only be criticised; it would make me feel uncomfortable whilst doing it.

Ultimately, if your club allows jeans and you're happy to wear them, good luck to you. My club doesn't and, even if I were to visit somewhere that did, I'd still be in a pair of tailored trousers simply because that mode of dress is what I associate with a visit to the golf course. I'm all for making the game more accessible and to encourage fledgling golfers - but lowering dress standards isn't the way forward in my opinion.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Pal

are you f'n kidding me............never ever ever wear jeans thats unholy

I totally disagree with you , but I want you to know I think your avatar is beautiful probably the best one on here, and I find nothing about it pornographic.

Trust me I am and expert on such things she looks to me like the girl next door.

When I find a girl next door that looks like that I am moving in next to her.

are you f'n kidding me............never ever ever wear jeans thats unholy

I totally disagree with you , but I want you to know I think your avatar is beautiful probably the best one on here, and I find nothing about it pornographic.

Trust me I am and expert on such things she looks to me like the girl next door.

When I find a girl next door that looks like that I am moving in next to her.

Okay, you're right. I'm sure this young lady didn't deserve the "Semi-porn" label that I unfairly applied to her image. My wife gets catalogs in the mail that are more revealing in nature.

See you all on the golf course. I'll be easy to recognize in my wrangles. But I do have to confess, I don't wear jeans to "The Club" or "better public tracks", but I would if they wouldn't give me the boot.