2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

I love these jeans threads that post up every few months. Yes I wear jeans on the course. So does 75% of my club, and probably the same if not more in the rest of city I live in.

Why the big deal. They are pants!!!!! And yes in summer I wear denim shorts (shock horror). Why because I like them. There comfortable. And for the tool on the 1st page who said he couldn't get a few tees, ball markers in the pockets. I can fit all that and the ball, my phone, my smokes, lighter etc. Where are you getting your jean fine. If you buy the right cut they look fine

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who cares? Unless it's required by the course, I will wear what I am feeling is comfortable whether it be denim jeans, cargo shorts or some gucci pants.

I will wear pants, a nice polo shirt, matching belt, and shoes if you guarantee to not slow down the pace of the game by gambling or drinking, replace all divots and not waste time.

deal?

I consider myself a pretty fashionable guy, which isn't to say I am a trendsetter or keep up with the latest styles. To the contrary I love classic styles and like thinking I will never look back at a picture of myself and be embarrassed by what I am wearing. On the weekends, when I am out running errands, I love wearing a nice pair of jeans.

And until recently, I had never seen a pair of jeans on the golf course. That all changed when I played Rail Head in Aledo, Texas (DFW). I saw several folks wearing them. And just this last week I played Balcones Woods in Austin which is semi-private and saw several people wearing them there as well.

I would never even think of wearing them to a golf course, but then again I have trouble even going to the driving range not dressed in proper golf attire. I think jeans would bother me more at my home course, and I hate that people are showing less and less concern for their appearance generally. I mean the necktie is practically becoming extinct.

I am not quite as stodgy as I imagine this post suggests. Here is a picture of me playing Balcones Woods on the day I saw so many pairs of jeans. It was 53 degrees when we teed off at 8:30. I was plenty warm in a nice pair of slacks.

n9212695_36518702_8089.jpg

I wish more people cared about their personal appearance. Certainly not everybody can afford to dress as nice as they would wish, but golf is an expensive game to play and if you can afford to play at the courses I saw people wearing jeans, you can most certainly afford a nice pair of pants to play in.

[size=3]PING G400 Max 9° Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60S
Callaway GBB Epic 3 UST Mamiya Recoil 450 ES F4
Callaway GBB Epic 3, 4 UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue 5-AW True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300
PING Glide 2.0 54° SS, 58° ES AWT 2.0
Toulon Garage Columbus
TaylorMade 2017 TP5[/size]

I'm pretty shocked at this thread. I'm 47 years old, and have played since the age of 11, and I have never seen a golfer wearing jeans before. I'm in Canada, and almost every course has a no jeans policy. All I can think about is J.D. with no shirt and overalls on.

PXG Gen2 10.5 Ventus 6S
Epic 3 wood 15 degree Hzurdus S
Mizzy CLK hybrid
Mizzy JPX 919 forged
Miura 55 & 59 degree
Evnroll ER6

Whoever wears jeans on a golf course is classless for the amount of time the round takes.

D - Ping G400 10.5* - Diamana Blueboard
3 - Callaway X2 Hot 15* - Diamana Blueboard
5 - Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 19* - Diamana Blueboard
3i - Ping G410 Crossover 20* Evenflow
4-PW - Mizuno MP60 - DG S300
53* & 60* - Mizuno MP-T - DG S300
P - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossi

And for the tool on the 1st page who said he couldn't get a few tees, ball markers in the pockets. I can fit all that and the ball, my phone, my smokes, lighter etc. Where are you getting your jean fine. If you buy the right cut they look fine

You gotta love the cell phone using, cigarette smoking, jean shorts wearing golfer calling another poster a tool. Just awesome. LOL

By the way, there are different "cuts" of jean shorts?

Add a tank top to that and cut off jean shorts and mid calf white socks. Saw that this year on a nine hole I played.

BTW for the cold weather jeans advocates...Ever hear of Wool slacks? I'm telling you a good pair of medium weight Wool slacks are the way to go in cooler weather.

There are a lot of things in the world where levels of appropriate are expected. To the people who are so adamant about wearing jeans, my question is quite simple.... Why is it an issue? If what you wear has no bearing on how you play, then what's the big deal about a pair of chinos?

Someone mentioned that Baseball players don't wear Wool , and football doesn't wear leather helmets, and Hockey doesn't use knit sweaters.... But the styles are drastically different. the materials have changed and in the case of Football everything has changed as a result in advancement of safety equipment. A look at golf attire shows just as much advancement in material used to make the clothing, and like those other sports the uniform remains mostly unchanged, but as golfers we are at liberty to dress how we wish within the realm of the allowable dress code.

Our club is private and has a dress code...no jeans on the course OR practice facilities. I agree with the course, but sometimes no jeans on the range can be a P.I.T.A.. If I'm coming home from work and want to hit a few, I'm not gonna change into the "proper" dress code to hit 30 balls...oh well

Its pretty shameful the amount of comments on this forum.

Its ok if you do not like jeans but to call people names like classless is pretty sad.

I grew up on a course that allowed jeans and everyone wore them I play a course now that in the winter they are pretty much the pants of choice

I worked at three clubs two of the three allowed them.

But being called names because I prefer them in the winter is just kind of sad

Its ok if you do not like jeans but to call people names like classless is pretty sad.

I grew up on a course that allowed jeans and everyone wore them I play a course now that in the winter they are pretty much the pants of choice

Calling someone classless for wearing jeans on the golf course isn't the same as calling them a name. It is an adjective describing an action by that individual and it is not a noun. It was properly used in this case.

Toulon Garage Columbus

i'm a guy that's big into style and fashion. i also think you should always dress smartly on the course.

that being said, i LOVE jeans and believe that you can look dignified and classy in a good pair of jeans. it is totally possible to look great wearing a good pair of dark wash indigo denim jeans. however, distressed jeans are a no-no on the course in my opinion. certainly the wranglers that everyone is referring to looks very unfinished and rugged, certainly no place for the golf course. i love wearing my dark 7 for all mankind, diesel, or earnest sewn jeans when the weather is cold but not quite cold enough to keep me away from golf. those $10 clearance specials are most definitely different from $100-200 jeans.

those who say denim is denim is denim certainly do not know quality jeans.

i'm a guy that's big into style and fashion. i also think you should always dress smartly on the course.

that being said, i LOVE jeans and believe that you can look dignified and classy in a good pair of jeans. it is totally possible to look great wearing a good pair of dark wash indigo denim jeans. however, distressed jeans are a no-no on the course in my opinion. certainly the wranglers that everyone is referring to looks very unfinished and rugged, certainly no place for the golf course. i love wearing my dark 7 for all mankind, diesel, or earnest sewn jeans when the weather is cold but not quite cold enough to keep me away from golf. those $10 clearance specials are most definitely different from $100-200 jeans.

those who say denim is denim is denim certainly do not know quality jeans.

I know those jeans you speak of (hell, AG Jeans are all I wear), but I would still never think of wearing denim on a golf course.

Toulon Garage Columbus

Its just a piece of material made of something slightly different. Who cares what you wear, or what someone else wears. I don't mean who cares about your opinion, I am referring to actually playing on the course.

If Garcia, Woods etc, or any none pro walked up and said " fancy a game" I wouldn't look at there clothing and judge their class or lack of it on an item of clothing or the construction of it.

How weird is that? I suppose that’s what makes us all different, some aspire to get into the top clubs and love the code of conduct, other like to just have a game in a relaxed atmosphere. Nothing wrong with either but looking someone up and down because of jeans may be taking it a little far…

Its just a piece of material made of something slightly different. Who cares what you wear, or what someone else wears. I don't mean who cares about your opinion, I am referring to actually playing on the course.

If Garcia, Woods etc, or any none pro walked up and said " fancy a game" I wouldn't look at there clothing and judge their class or lack of it on an item of clothing or the construction of it.

How weird is that? I suppose that's what makes us all different, some aspire to get into the top clubs and love the code of conduct, other like to just have a game in a relaxed atmosphere. Nothing wrong with either but looking someone up and down because of jeans may be taking it a little far…

you gotta draw the line somewhere. For myself and others, it isn't about cost, brand or even quality. Denim is meant to be a casual fabric and I don't like seeing it on the course.

I don't aspire to get into the top clubs, I just love playing with good company whenever I can. I also love going to football games, basketball games, car races, etc... but it doesn't mean I would wear the same thing to those events as I would to play golf, go to a show or a nice dinner.

Toulon Garage Columbus

Calling someone classless for wearing jeans on the golf course isn't the same as calling them a name. It is an adjective describing an action by that individual and it is not a noun. It was properly used in this case.

Is no place safe from the grammar police.

Not so much today I am so much mellower but forty years ago maybe even less than that somebody used the word classless as and adjective or a noun in referring to me thats when the fight would have started.

Rude is rude no matter what the grammar

Is no place safe from the grammar police.

Not so much today I am so much mellower but forty years ago maybe even less than that somebody used the word classless as and adjective or a noun in referring to me thats when the fight would have started.

Rude is rude no matter what the grammar

and classless is classless. You wouldn't have to think somebody is being rude toward you or another in this instance if you and others didn't wear jeans on a golf course.

What you quoted wasn't really about being grammar police. Whether used as an adjective, or improperly as a noun, it is not name-calling in this instance but calling a spade a spade. I see truth as a defense here.

Toulon Garage Columbus

And traditionally the game of golf considers pants made of Denim to be rude.

The problem trickles down endlessly. Today you move for jeans to be acceptable as playing attire on a golf course. In 20 years people thin it's OK to wear regular old sweat pants... Heck why not a tank top.

Ok I will bite why not? As a matter of fact I might have played once in sweat pants OMG take me out and shoot me

Do we really want all the traditions of the game dictated by old time snobbish country clubs I thought the game had come so much farther than that.

The problem trickles down endlessly. Today you move for jeans to be acceptable as playing attire on a golf course. In 20 years people thin it's OK to wear regular old sweat pants... Heck why not a tank top.

Ok I will bite why not? As a matter of fact I might have played once in sweat pants OMG take me out and shoot me

Do we really want all the traditions of the game dictated by old time snobbish country clubs I thought the game had come so much farther than that.

when did not wearing jeans or sweatpants become "all of the traditions of the game"?

I should probably just stop responding to your posts though because anybody who would wear sweatpants to play a roudn of golf is beyond help.

I agree with Seinfeld on this one: wearing sweatpants is the clearest sign you have given up on life; you might as well be comfortable.

Toulon Garage Columbus

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if someone did turn up those cloths now. It wouldn't be what I would wear, but I wouldn't mind as long as they were courteous and followed the rules.

Not sure about the tank top though, you could discriminate against diamond patterned tank tops and V neck jumpers with branding on the left. I think they should be banned... ;)

If being classless means I don't fit in with most of the post on here, I'm fine with that. I've been reading this topic for a while now and it seems to be getting way out of hand. If a course allows jeans, then there should be no problem with a person wearing them. If they don't allow them, then it is not an issue.

I think the original post was trying to see who wears jeans, not who can put down a person wearing jeans on a course the best.

For the record, I may wear jeans on the course and for the most part they look a lot better than most of the wrinkled Khakis I see with rolled up polo shirts. My gear is always ironed, fitting and matching with clean shoes. AS long as you look like you cared about what you put on and you are within the rules of the course, wear what you like. Just my not so humble opinion.

when did not wearing jeans or sweatpants become "all of the traditions of the game"?

I should probably just stop responding to your posts though because anybody who would wear sweatpants to play a roudn of golf is beyond help.

I agree with Seinfeld on this one: wearing sweatpants is the clearest sign you have given up on life; you might as well be comfortable.

Honestly I lied I do not even own sweat pants and would not wear them out ot the house its just not me.

But jeans on a cold muddy golf course just makes sense and what is so bad about denim