Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It sounds like there are a couple of people with whom I'm never going to see eye to eye on this.

I was simply brought up to believe that a certain standard of dress is appropriate on the golf course. Simple as that. Golf means making an effort. I wouldn't go to a funeral in a tracksuit and I don't go to the golf course in anything that's not appropriate.

I'm not in any way against golf becoming more popular - on the contrary in fact, and I think anything that can be done to make the game more accessible is a good thing. When I first started out in the game, private golf courses were fearsome places where a wrong word or any sort of slip-up would invariably lead to some ovebearing character giving you the third degree. That's a peculiarity of a lot of 'establishment' golf courses over here, and the fact that many members and club officials tolerate it (and in some cases encourage it) is very much something that hinders the development of the game and which needs to be stamped out. Huge egos are a separate issue from something as reasonable and innocuous as dresscode though.

A relaxation of dress codes, just so that the minority (about 20% according to this poll alone) can wear what they see fit because of some perceived social sleight or invented practical reason simply doesn't fit into that line of thinking. There are many things that make the average private club (particularly the very 'old fashioned' and traditional English clubs like the one at which I play golf) unappealing to golfers and which are more than a touch pretentious and anachronistic. Would you settle for a dress rule that requires the wearing of a cravat in the gentlemens' bar? Thought not. And a lot of people at my place thought similarly. It really was a proper throwback and something that was unnecessary and ridiculous in this day and age. There was no clamouring for the right to wear jeans on the fairways though.

Ultimately, if you're prepared to toe the line, dress-wise, when you visit my club, you and anyone else are very welcome. If you're expecting to find much support for your Denim Army you'll struggle though.

To the average member at my place the Freedom For Jeans-Wearing Golfers crusade is ranting on about a solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist. We just wear our trousers and collared shirts and get on with playing golf - instead of spending time looking for excuses why we shouldn't be.

Funny, I was at a wake a few weeks ago and was SHOCKED at people showing up in jeans, shorts, t-shirts, sneakers, etc. Several of them couldn't even find the time (or respect for the deceased!) to remove their iPod ear buds while in front of the casket. No respect.

I have a relative who was part owner of a golf club for a few years. The big topic prior to them making the purchase with the other owners was how they were going to enforce their "no jeans" policy. I thought this was interesting since the current owners at the time also had a "no jeans" dress code- yet this seemed to be a big topic of discussion. It's amazing how polarizing it can be among people.

I'm new to golf. One of my biggest fears when I first took up the game was violating golf course etiquette.

But I said to myself that I should just remember the examples I have from business, and indeed that wake I went to, to dress the part and act the part at all times, and if I ever do make a mistake, it would be treated as a minor thing. It's amazing that when you dress right, you feel more comfortable in whatever activity you are doing. (Ever go to a party underdressed? Feel good about it?)

The only time I wear jeans on a golf course is the 9-hole training course I play on occasionally.

I wouldn't go to a funeral in a tracksuit and I don't go to the golf course in anything that's not appropriate.

A relaxation of dress codes, just so that the minority (about 20% according to this poll alone) can wear what they see fit because of some perceived social sleight or invented practical reason simply doesn't fit into that line of thinking.

I understand your point of view however you, along with many other people, have related golf to going to a wedding, or a church, or a funeral as you have. But I can't see a simliarity between social etiquette, and a rule imposed to go on a golf course? I personally don't see a funeral in the similar way as a game of golf.

I also wonder whether some courses would want to increase funds by 20% with a simple modification to the dress code? Some will some won't, but I personally don't wear them to annoy or for some made up practical reason, i just wear them...

That funeral story would be laughable if it wasn't so downright disrespectful. Sadly though, after initially thinking it was a joke, I realised that it probably wasn't. Admittedly, showing up at a funeral or wake with an iPod wedged into your ears is a different kettle of fish to playing golf in jeans, but it goes to show how times are changing and that there is a minority of the population who think that many conventions in life are too constricting and need to be relaxed. Some, like that funeral story, beggar belief. Some are more rooted in common sense.

I've been lucky enough to play golf in a variety of places in my time - public, private courses and some that are in-between, and I've also been fortunate to travel a bit and sample golf in a few different countries. It's perfectly natural that attitudes and the whole focus of a day at the golf course should change depending upon where you are - and a round at an exclusive, private course in Surrey or Berkshire is certainly a very different experience to a round on a typical Scottish track or a muni in Louisiana. The norm at one place may not be the norm at another, and some of the things that are commonplace in New Orleans would have the old boys choking on a pink gin at Sunningdale. Similarly, some of my American golfing friends would feel a bit uncomfortable at my place - which is unfortunate and something that I would be somewhat conscious of as an introducing member. When I play in the US, I often have to adjust to using an obligatory cart. As someone who routinely carries my bag, I find that as odd as having someone roll up to me mid-round asking me if I want to buy a beer or a cocktail. My mate from Florida's last visit involved me having to borrow a powered trolley for him after my attempts to borrow a cart fell through, and since he'd only brought his cart bag and didn't fancy borrowing one of my carry bags to walk round with. As I say, very different approaches to the game. However, he never dreamed of playing in jeans either at home or here, since his attitude was the same as mine - jeans aren't golfing attire.

Of all the places I've played, I reckon Scotland strikes the best balance when it comes to golfing; not all that surprisingly perhaps. A typical Scottish club has none of the airs and graces of a private English club, but the game is taken just as seriously - in fact, in most cases, more so - and is afforded the reverence it deserves. It's more a game for the average person than it is south of the border, yet a Scottish club is a place where proper ettiquette is still practiced and where adherance to the rules and traditions of the game is still expected and valued. A round of golf is something to be enjoyed, taken seriously, and where a standard of behaviour is expected - or demanded. It's a fantastic framework for the game to operate under and it makes playing golf in Scotland, aside from the wealth of wonderful courses, an experience to be enjoyed and admired. We in England could learn a lot from the Scots and some of the old school twaddle that's still practiced in a select few English clubs could be seen for what it is - an outdated encumberance that makes golf, at times, less relaxing and enjoyable than it could and should be and which very much discourages or drives away potential newcomers to the game. We should, by all means, make golf clubs places to be proud of and where good values and behaviour are practiced. But keeping them as fearsome places where visitors are constantly on edge because they're worrying they've done 'something wrong' is ridiculous.

I've played a lot of golf in the US too, and it's invariably been enjoyable even when some of the conventions and traditions are taken into account for a foreigner like me. People enjoying a few beers on the course isn't seen in the UK; and neither, 99% of the time, are the serried ranks of golf carts that are parked outside the pro shop. Cart Girl? I'd never heard of one at one time. A total mystery to me as an English golfer. The nearest we get to a pretty girl proffering drinks is a grizzled old bloke with a couple of springer spaniels asking us if we fancy buying a couple of Titleists for a quid that the dogs have found in the bushes next to the 12th. As I say, different strokes for different folks, and one way of doing it isn't any better or worse than the other.

Back to the subject of jeans though; I've rarely seen people wearing jeans on the golf course in the US. And I've never seen it, that I can recall, in the UK. I've played golf on all types of track, from very exclusive affairs in the home counties through to the local muni. Even on that municipal course - which offers pay-to-play facilities in a distinctly working class area where lots of spare cash isn't the order of the day, I've never seen anyone wearing jeans other than the odd local toerag who sneaks on to play for free. Amongst fee-paying golfers, every one of them has made an effort to put on what amounts to 'proper' golfing attire, even in the case of people who have probably had to buy a pair of trousers and a shirt specifically to play golf in. I think it's refreshing that people care enough about the game and the standards associated with it that they'll make that effort and it very much ties in with my own experience that it's simply the done thing to wear a particular 'uniform' when you play golf. It's an attitude that transcends class or social status and is just something that is instinctive to the vast majority of golfers.

It can be argued all day long whether it's necessary to do something. But some things that aren't entirely necessary are done anyway, simply because it's right to do so and augments an experience. I think putting on some smart clothes when I visit the golf course is just 'right' and it doesn't cause me any aggravation or upset whatsoever. It's what I've always done and what I'll continue to do as long as I play. Old fashioned? Yes. Perhaps. But so is holding a door open for someone. Or giving up your seat on the train to a senior citizen, or exercising manners out on the road when you drive your car. Is it necessary to hold that door open for the person following you? No. It would be far easier to let it slide shut; and it's true enough that they can open it again for themselves - but how many people would feel comfortable letting it swing shut in their face?

I wouldn't. I'd feel as out of place doing that as I would keeping my seat whilst an elderly person stands or turning up at the course in my jeans.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

That funeral story would be laughable if it wasn't so downright disrespectful. Sadly though, after initially thinking it was a joke, I realised that it probably wasn't. Admittedly, showing up at a funeral or wake with an iPod wedged into your ears is a different kettle of fish to playing golf in jeans, but it goes to show how times are changing and that there is a minority of the population who think that many conventions in life are too constricting and need to be relaxed. Some, like that funeral story, beggar belief. Some are more rooted in common sense.

I've been lucky enough to play golf in a variety of places in my time - public, private courses and some that are in-between, and I've also been fortunate to travel a bit and sample golf in a few different countries. It's perfectly natural that attitudes and the whole focus of a day at the golf course should change depending upon where you are - and a round at an exclusive, private course in Surrey or Berkshire is certainly a very different experience to a round on a typical Scottish track or a muni in Louisiana. The norm at one place may not be the norm at another, and some of the things that are commonplace in New Orleans would have the old boys choking on a pink gin at Sunningdale. Similarly, some of my American golfing friends would feel a bit uncomfortable at my place - which is unfortunate and something that I would be somewhat conscious of as an introducing member. When I play in the US, I often have to adjust to using an obligatory cart. As someone who routinely carries my bag, I find that as odd as having someone roll up to me mid-round asking me if I want to buy a beer or a cocktail. My mate from Florida's last visit involved me having to borrow a powered trolley for him after my attempts to borrow a cart fell through, and since he'd only brought his cart bag and didn't fancy borrowing one of my carry bags to walk round with. As I say, very different approaches to the game. However, he never dreamed of playing in jeans either at home or here, since his attitude was the same as mine - jeans aren't golfing attire.

Of all the places I've played, I reckon Scotland strikes the best balance when it comes to golfing; not all that surprisingly perhaps. A typical Scottish club has none of the airs and graces of a private English club, but the game is taken just as seriously - in fact, in most cases, more so - and is afforded the reverence it deserves. It's more a game for the average person than it is south of the border, yet a Scottish club is a place where proper ettiquette is still practiced and where adherance to the rules and traditions of the game is still expected and valued. A round of golf is something to be enjoyed, taken seriously, and where a standard of behaviour is expected - or demanded. It's a fantastic framework for the game to operate under and it makes playing golf in Scotland, aside from the wealth of wonderful courses, an experience to be enjoyed and admired. We in England could learn a lot from the Scots and some of the old school twaddle that's still practiced in a select few English clubs could be seen for what it is - an outdated encumberance that makes golf, at times, less relaxing and enjoyable than it could and should be and which very much discourages or drives away potential newcomers to the game. We should, by all means, make golf clubs places to be proud of and where good values and behaviour are practiced. But keeping them as fearsome places where visitors are constantly on edge because they're worrying they've done 'something wrong' is ridiculous.

I've played a lot of golf in the US too, and it's invariably been enjoyable even when some of the conventions and traditions are taken into account for a foreigner like me. People enjoying a few beers on the course isn't seen in the UK; and neither, 99% of the time, are the serried ranks of golf carts that are parked outside the pro shop. Cart Girl? I'd never heard of one at one time. A total mystery to me as an English golfer. The nearest we get to a pretty girl proffering drinks is a grizzled old bloke with a couple of springer spaniels asking us if we fancy buying a couple of Titleists for a quid that the dogs have found in the bushes next to the 12th. As I say, different strokes for different folks, and one way of doing it isn't any better or worse than the other.

Back to the subject of jeans though; I've rarely seen people wearing jeans on the golf course in the US. And I've never seen it, that I can recall, in the UK. I've played golf on all types of track, from very exclusive affairs in the home counties through to the local muni. Even on that municipal course - which offers pay-to-play facilities in a distinctly working class area where lots of spare cash isn't the order of the day, I've never seen anyone wearing jeans other than the odd local toerag who sneaks on to play for free. Amongst fee-paying golfers, every one of them has made an effort to put on what amounts to 'proper' golfing attire, even in the case of people who have probably had to buy a pair of trousers and a shirt specifically to play golf in. I think it's refreshing that people care enough about the game and the standards associated with it that they'll make that effort and it very much ties in with my own experience that it's simply the done thing to wear a particular 'uniform' when you play golf. It's an attitude that transcends class or social status and is just something that is instinctive to the vast majority of golfers.

It can be argued all day long whether it's necessary to do something. But some things that aren't entirely necessary are done anyway, simply because it's right to do so and augments an experience. I think putting on some smart clothes when I visit the golf course is just 'right' and it doesn't cause me any aggravation or upset whatsoever. It's what I've always done and what I'll continue to do as long as I play. Old fashioned? Yes. Perhaps. But so is holding a door open for someone. Or giving up your seat on the train to a senior citizen, or exercising manners out on the road when you drive your car. Is it necessary to hold that door open for the person following you? No. It would be far easier to let it slide shut; and it's true enough that they can open it again for themselves - but how many people would feel comfortable letting it swing shut in their face?

I wouldn't. I'd feel as out of place doing that as I would keeping my seat whilst an elderly person stands or turning up at the course in my jeans.

Sorry got lazy half way through and gave up reading, was the first paragraph directed at me?

I'm from the UK.

At my club I would never dare to wear jeans, change shoes in car park or use a mobile phone on the course. And I'd get thrown out if I did.

I'm not a snob just uphold the values of the game.

But, I just wouldn't feel right wearing jeans... it's just not right.

That's another thing that drives me nuts, especially at a private club, but that's another thread. :)

You're probably right mate. I've just re-read it myself and almost nodded off by the time I got old Les and his springers. My last post was longer than a Bubba Watson drive.

The first paragraph was pretty much in response to your post. A very valid point and it's certainly a debatable point whether a real increase in revenues would be seen at golf clubs if dress codes were relaxed. It's also debatable how much of a link there is between the jeans question and the act of someone turning up at a funeral in the circumstances described. Personally, I reckon the two are related - albeit somewhat extrinsically - and the same broad arguments before and against apply in both cases.

Nike Ignite 410 10.5° Grafalloy Blue X

Nike T60 15° Fujikura Speeder 757 X

Titleist 913F 19° Mitsubishi Diamana BB 83X or Titleist 712U 2-iron 19° KBS Tour S

Titleist 712U 3-iron 22° KBS Tour S

Titleist 681 4-iron to 9-iron KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 48.08F Raw 49° KBS Tour S

Titleist SM5 56.10M Raw 56° KBS Tour S

Ping Eye 2 Gorge L Wedge 60° KBS Tour S  &  Ping Anser 2

You're probably right mate. I've just re-read it myself and almost nodded off by the time I got old Les and his springers. My last post was longer than a Bubba Watson drive.

The first paragraph was pretty much in response to your post. A very valid point and it's certainly a debatable point whether a real increase in revenues would be seen at golf clubs if dress codes were relaxed. It's also debatable how much of a link there is between the jeans question and the act of someone turning up at a funeral in the circumstances described. Personally, I reckon the two are related - albeit somewhat extrinsically - and the same broad arguments before and against apply in both cases.

Thats funny :D

I must admit I did wear the correct attire for a social competition/dinner, and a over 50's vs under 50's competition recently. Because I thought it was appropriate, but when I play this saturday for fun I will probably go back to sticking on a pair of jeans for a game... :hi:

If people were wearing Diesel Jeans then maybe I wouldn't have a problem with them but its normally Lee or some crap jean so I am HELL NO!

Just wondering why the brand of the jean matters? Jeans are only ok if they cost over a certain amount?

The thing is that most of the mainstream jeans you can buy at the mall (Diesel, 7, Rock and Republic, True Religion, etc...) aren't even nice jeans. I know that people who wear them make fun of people who wear Levi's and Lee (who incidentally make a lot nicer jeans than those brands (Levi's LVC line and Lee's Gold Label line). People who actually take denim seriously and wear brands like APC, Sugar Cane, Samaurai and the sort think less of people who wear the mall brands than those who wear whatever from Wal-Mart, because at least those people aren't trying too hard.

Off the course i feel uncomfortable not wearing jeans. however come time to tee it up and i dress the way i feel i need to (whatever the name is for the pants you're supposed to wear). I'm not at all critical when i do see someone playing in jeans, unless they turn out to be rude. I believe proper conduct is more important then properly dressing in this game, as i do not throw clubs or curse (out loud/much). In the winter months i would wear jeans, since they are better insulated and better at keeping your legs warm. However, the one time i wore jeans on the course, i skulled an iron and hit a goose (in the head!), which at the very least severely injured it. It has still stuck with me and to this day i have not worn jeans on the course since. Even so, i do wear jeans to do anything else golf related and i say wear whatever you want on the course, so long as you play at a good pace and have proper etiquette.

If people were wearing Diesel Jeans then maybe I wouldn't have a problem with them but its normally Lee or some crap jean so I am HELL NO!

Just wondering why the brand of the jean matters? Jeans are only ok if they cost over a certain amount?

The thing is that most of the mainstream jeans you can buy at the mall (Diesel, 7, Rock and Republic, True Religion, etc...) aren't even nice jeans. I know that people who wear them make fun of people who wear Levi's and Lee (who incidentally make a lot nicer jeans than those brands (Levi's LVC line and Lee's Gold Label line). People who actually take denim seriously and wear brands like APC, Sugar Cane, Samaurai and the sort think less of people who wear the mall brands than those who wear whatever from Wal-Mart, because at least those people aren't trying too hard.

I still have no clue why it matters to you what the brand of jean they are wearing is. If your standing 100 yards away a jean is a jean, can't see the tag from there.

• 2 weeks later...

YAY!!!!! Where I live everybody wears jeans to go golfing. There's only one course in the whole county that doesn't allow jeans. I guess here in southern Ohio we aren't big fans of dress codes. I think you should wear what your comfortable to play in. A couple weeks ago I went to the course after I had been deer hunting. I was covered from my hat to my boots in camo and I played just like that. Didn't even have golf shoes, played in boots. The thing is, I wasn't the only one there dressed like that. But I do wear golf slacks if I'm playing a course that does have a dress code and I don't mind doing it. Just rather play in what's more comfortable to me and i'm golad I live in an area that lets me do it.

I like to wear slacks when I play but I don't understand why people care so much about what others wear on the course. If there is a dress code then people should obey it but if not then wear the clothes that make you feel comfortable.

I agree.

I've said this before- after seeing how so many people are personally offended by what others are wearing, I may start wearing really annoying outfits during tournaments. I can't believe how easily people are mentally distracted.

I'm going to start dressing like Duffy Waldorf or Woody Austin!!! :partytime2: :partytime2:

Slacks or jeans, just make sure they aren't ball huggers:

man-likes-tight-jeans.jpg

blog.skinnyjeans.jpg

Muffin tops don't help the argument for denim either:

muffintop.jpg

Another photo against denim:

freak-in-tight-jeans-shorts.jpg

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

LOL That's hilarious! Nothing would suck worse than getting your butt kicked by some guy wearing jeans and a t-shirt.

As already pointed out, it depends on where life has placed you as to whether or not jeans are acceptable on a golf course. I grew up in south Georgia, and jeans were allowed everywhere except the "ritziest" of courses in my home town. Now to the story....

I was playing a high school match in, you guessed it, jeans and a school golf shirt, and we were playing away at a private country club. Well, picture this: I'm 6'2" and at the time was around 160 pounds = flagpole, with white Dexter wingtips and skin tight jeans! If that doesn't scream "redneck" then I don't know what does! :cheesy: Anyway, I'm playing in the number 1 spot and I end up beating their number 1 and after the round, his dad comes up to him and asks, "So, how'd it go?" He kinda motions over to me and says, "I got beat by the jeans guy! :tongue: And, this guy was all decked out in the latest golf attire that was around at the time. Man, that felt good.

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

I wore jeans one time to play golf. I was under in the crushing grip of a hellacious hangover, the "I'm still drunk" kind. My buddy called so I just threw some clothes on. I just didn't feel right.

That doesn't make it wrong though. Where I'm from it's common practice to wear jeans when the dress code permits. I don't see anything wrong with it...til you get some jacka** with his shirt off or wearing a tank top or something gay like that. Jeans on a player +1.....Jeans and NO SHIRT on a hack is a NO GO!!!