Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

I wear jeans most all of the time outside of work and golf. I just don't think jeans and golf go together. My club has a lot of blue-collar members so jeans are acceptable attire and lots of people wear them.

I would prefer we have a policy against jeans but ya know... members who want jeans = revenue for the club

Titleist TSr2 10* Tensei 1K Black 65X
Titleist TSr2 15* Tensei White 75X 
Titleist Tsi 22* Tensei White 95X
Titleist T150 NS Pro 120 X 4-PW
Vokey SM9 50*, 54* and 60* TT DGS400
SIK Pro Custom

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah

jeans and a t-shirt

or jean cut-offs -wife beater and flipflops

lol

jeeze is golf really just an elitest game?Or just this thread?

Why not wear what's comfortable ?

If the course has a dress code adher to it otherwise.............be yourself.If that's wearing jeans why not?

this thread is far from elitist (the most misused word in america lately). most people who said they wouldnt wear jeans have also said they dont care if others do. and many have said (like myself) they simply cant fathom how performing athletic movements could possibly be more comfortable in jeans. all in all, i think it's been a fairly honest and respectful debate.

and if i'm being completely honest, it seems to me like wearing jeans is trying to make more of a statement than throwing on some slacks and a polo is. golf has a tradition, and when you wear jeans or cutoffs or flip flops or whatever, you know you are specifically bucking that tradition, for better or for worse. like i said before, to each his own, i'm sure standards and traditions are different depending on where you live. and personally, i dont care what you wear. but the guy wearing jeans and a t-shirt is just as (insert your adjective of choice here) as the guy wearing matching pink shoes, belt, and hat.

I guess I buy my jeans to fit.They don't bind.I can put my hands in the pockets .I can retrieve a divot tool,ball or tee out of them no problem.They're not designer.They were made by hardworking folks at levi,dickies,lee and carhart.There are millions of hardworking people whose jobs are more athletic than golf and they wear jeans at work.

To think that what is worn takes something away from the game is hard to fathom.What takes away from the game is some guy dressed in his slacks who doesn't count the stokes he has incurred.Who doesn't play by the rules.

As I said if there is a dress code adher to it.If not where what you want and offend the elitist.

They were made by hardworking folks at levi,dickies,lee and carhart.There are millions of hardworking people whose jobs are more athletic than golf and they wear jeans at work.

If not where what you want and offend the elitist.

i think you clearly have a bone to pick larger than what someone wears on the golf course.

and come on, drop the elitist thing, we're all friends here obsessing on a golf message board over the sport we love.

I never have and never will wear Jeans on the golf course.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

Sorry about the elitist remarks.In reading this thread I saw a couple of responses that said people wearing jeans on the golf course took away from the game. I took exception to that and apologize.I feel that if the course allows jeans and people have them on who is it that's perfect that should judge them by what they wear.The game is just as challenging, the rules are the same no matter what you wear.There's a lot of guys I golf with that don't have time to change from work clothes in order to get a round in before dark.They come from work to the course and the course we play those times allows that dress so who has the right to say they aren't respectful of the game.When we go to a course that has a dress code on the weekend we adher to that dresscode but we don't have any better rounds or change the way we obey the rules of golf.

Sorry about the elitist remarks.In reading this thread I saw a couple of responses that said people wearing jeans on the golf course took away from the game. I took exception to that and apologize.I feel that if the course allows jeans and people have them on who is it that's perfect that should judge them by what they wear.The game is just as challenging, the rules are the same no matter what you wear.There's a lot of guys I golf with that don't have time to change from work clothes in order to get a round in before dark.They come from work to the course and the course we play those times allows that dress so who has the right to say they aren't respectful of the game.When we go to a course that has a dress code on the weekend we adher to that dresscode but we don't have any better rounds or change the way we obey the rules of golf.

thanks for the post. i hear ya, and i think that makes a ton of sense. i guess i was just defending a lot of people on here who just cant fathom playing golf in jeans. not because they are elitist or think they are better than anyone else, but because getting schnazzed up a bit is part of the game in a lot of our eyes. it's part of the tradition passed down from generation to generation; father to son. from watching bobby jones and palmer and nicklaus and tiger.

if anyone said it's taking away from the game, i think what they mean is that the discipline and the reverence associated with getting dressed up is a great characteristic of the game, not something that is snooty or elitist, per se. but your post shows that there are two sides to every coin. i have no doubt that you and your friends, regardless of what you wear, are completely respectful of the game.

and i quite enjoyed reading your post actually; it made me a bit jealous. getting to the course after work and getting out there and playing is what its all about. thats a great feeling. i live and work in the city so i cant do that right now (though, if i could, i would still probably throw a pair of slacks on in the back seat or in the bathroom).

to each his own.

What is the objection to jeans? They aren't allowed where I play so I don't wear them, but when I see people say "it just doesn't look right" that sounds like load of BS to me. They don't look right because you haven't seen people wearing it. What do you think the Scottish shepherds who invented golf wore? Why are baseball caps ok? The prejudice against jeans reminds me of other things people probably said "didn't look right" on a golf course back in the day.

If you replace your divots, fix your ball marks, have a good attitude, and can play a round in 4 hours or less, I don't care if you shoot 130 wearing a jock strap, tutu, and a muscle shirt. I'll take that over single digit h'capper in head to toe J Lindeberg who acts like he's on TV every shot, whines every time he thinks he hit it 3 yards right or left, and couldn't play a round of golf in under 5 hours if his life depended on it.

Of all the replys I've read in this thread this is the one that truely makes sense..kudos to you

What is the objection to jeans? They aren't allowed where I play so I don't wear them, but when I see people say "it just doesn't look right" that sounds like load of BS to me. They don't look right because you haven't seen people wearing it. What do you think the Scottish shepherds who invented golf wore? Why are baseball caps ok? The prejudice against jeans reminds me of other things people probably said "didn't look right" on a golf course back in the day.

So you're saying people with these opinions are liars? Your argument is HOGWASH! :rolleyes:

If you replace your divots, fix your ball marks, have a good attitude, and can play a round in 4 hours or less, I don't care if you shoot 130 wearing a jock strap, tutu, and a muscle shirt. I'll take that over single digit h'capper in head to toe J Lindeberg who acts like he's on TV every shot, whines every time he thinks he hit it 3 yards right or left, and couldn't play a round of golf in under 5 hours if his life depended on it.

Of all the replys I've read in this thread this is the one that truely makes sense..kudos to you

Agreed - this is the post of the year.

Funny, here in north Georgia we play year round. We're a NO jeans "Blue Collar" club. I've lobbied for years to get jeans approved for the winter months, say December through February. My pleas have fallen on deaf ears. I recently returned from a week in Florida where we played at a semi-private club where jeans were permitted. While we could have worn jeans, we didn't and upon observing them on others it just seemed an inappropriate form of attire on a golf course. Just sayin... :shout: Fore Right!!!

Not to knock your point/post, but why have a double standard! If you cant afford a private membership, why not get some Dockers! I just think it looks bad. I hate going to Torrey, a US Open course and seeing jeans, for cying out loud, pretty cart gals, ocean views, gorgeous views and then seeing Levi's! Just puked all over my cigar, Yuck!

Jeans are Ok once the temp has dropped below 50 degrees. But only at public courses!!!! If you can afford a priviate membership you can afford a pair of slacks!!

I think that jeans are kind of disrespectful on a golf course. It's like wearing jeans to a job interview. Piggybacking on what was said before, going to a nice course gives us a reason to look sharp and a nice golf outfiit always looks sharp. Always has....well not sure if always is correct. The late 70's and 80's was just bad for fashion period. But in the same token if you are feeling spunky and go to some makeshift par 3 (I'm sure some of you have seen these kind, people with a few acres of land try and make a par 3 course but fail) then I wouldn't justify wearing my 200$ golf outfit.

But I've always loved the way the old players dressed. The Bobby Jones' and Ben Hogans, that was classy.

That's one of the sounds of the game that I like the most: A pair of shoes being beat together to loosen the grass from the spikes. Having said that, it's not something that you hear very often while playing in the Palm Springs area as the grass is so perfectly manicured that I've yet had to clean the underside of my shoes after a round!

To tell you the truth I would rather see people change shoes in the parking lot instead of smelling them in the locker room before lunch.

I remember 30 or 40 years ago, Steve McQueen was a Pall-bearer at his friend's funeral wearing jeans and jean jacket and he was severely criticized by the Celebrity World.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

I rather play behind a foursome wearing jeans no matter how they played who kept up a good pace of play then a group dressed to the nines in their swank golf attire who couldn't finish a round in 5 hours if their life depended on it.If you feel you need to dress up to golf that's cool but why does everyone have to adher to what you beleive.What don't we all wear suits and ties instead of slacks and polo shirts if we're keeping with tradition.

Actually I wouldn't mind playing behind a group of scantilly clad babes no matter what pace of play they kept

A little off the jeans subject but still on the same clothing subject, but when the hell did the whole 'tuck just the front of your shirt behind your belt buckle' fad hit the course. I can't stand seeing that. You either tuck it in all the way or leave it untucked. Don't half Word not allowed it because it 'looks cool' yo!