Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

NO WAY! Never. Rarely even to the range. No thanks. Only 34 years old, and certainly not rich...just a traditionalist. Arnold Palmer said, no matter what, you dress nicely for the course, even a casual round with friends. I won't wear cargo shorts, but will wear regular flat front shorts. Jeans are right there with tank tops to me. I only play public and muni's too.

Love jeans, not with golf.

RBZ TP 9.5* RIP'd NV 65
TM R11s - 14* - RIP Alpha 70
TM Rescue '11 TP - RIP 85
Cleveland CG16 Tour - TT DG
Cleveland 588 Forged Wedges
Forged Yes "Callie f" Blade

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say never to jeans.

Golf is a sport, it requires you play on a course which is most likely privately owned. I doubt many people would play cricket, squash, football or any other sport in their own facilities respectfully in a pair of jeans. It just would not happen. Jeans may hamper movement and flexibility in sports that may require more agility but, by the same token, they can also hamper the golf swing.

Thankfully I'm in the UK where some of us like to uphold traditions. Please don't tell me it's just 'old fashioned', trying telling that to the nice people at Royal Ascot; I'm sure they would listen.

i think people miss the point that not because one certain item costs more money than another it doesn't make it of the same "caliber."

i personally say no to jeans on the golf course, I'm a 16 year old guy who likes to dress nicely in the course no matter what. off the course, i wear jeans actually all of them are skinny jeans for that matter, too skinny for some haha, but as soon as i step on a course, no matter what course be it a city muni, or an upscale private club and everywhere in between, always a pair of slack and a collared shirt (i actually dont really like mock turtle necks but i dont mind them either). it's not about dressing expensive or anything it's simply about respecting the game a bit and simply adhering to some of the more "traditional rules" that this game has, that's all

When I was starting golf, I read where Arnold Palmer discussed the rudeness of wearing a hat in the dining room. I've made it a point to never violate that rule. Manners never go out of style.

No jeans at the golf course - and my kids don't come to the range unless their shirt has a collar.

Agree completely with all of the above.

I learned to take my hat off in all buildings. Playing AJGA tournaments, they make you take your hat off when you are inside and I have done it ever since...

It is a gentleman's game and I will continue to say the same thing AP says... If you wear a hat indoors, "you are a bum." Jeans are for cocktail parties in Beverly Hills... hardly appropriate for going to church... or the course..unless they are like the dress jeans that Cookie or Rose wear... not my style but it could be I suppose... I do not, however, button my top button...One of the things you immediately notice about Tiger is how "Great" (healthy, neat, Happy etc..) he looks... Just like the animal that was named after him... :yes:

never ever have I or would I wear jeans on the course.

I golf at a private golf club(Royal Ottawa), they hate when you wear shorts even though they are allowed. I believe that golf is a gentleman's sport, and jeans are a TOTAL Discrase to the great game of golf! I wear jeans while I am not at the course, but wearing them at the corse is absolutely disgusting! I don't mean to offend anyone, for this is only my opinion.

I thought Royal Ottawa had been renamed to "Le Club de Golf Municipale de Hull".

Years ago I would have said that anyone who wanted to prevent me from wearing jeans on a golf course was an inappropriate control freak.

I don't think that way any more, and now I'm pleased to play at places where jeans are not permitted. I've come to believe that my time on a golf course is special, and deserves some reverance, if that doesn't sound too crazy to you. Dressing up a bit is a little like giving back to the game.

I think most pros take their dress very seriously, and it adds to the respect I have for them.

To those who feel wearing jeans is just fine, how do you feel about guys playing shirtless? It's all a matter of where you choose to draw the line.

All that said, I'd rather be playing with a shirtless guy wearing jeans than somebody throwing clubs all day.

Most of the munis I play on, you would get laughed off the course if you told someone they couldn't wear jeans. I've seen so many good players who wear jeans but have great etiquette that it's really a nonissue. I personally don't wear jeans because they're uncomfortable to play in, but I generally do wear basketball shorts or wind pants (neither of which are particularly more classy than jeans).

wow i think almost read this whole thread lol. i can't believe how fired up people get about wearing jeans (including me). i discovered golf a few years ago on a business outing and fell in love. i didn't grow up around country clubs or quite frankly anyone who played golf regularly. i think the fundamental difference for people is that for some golf is a game w/ a written book of rules and etiquette period. For others, golf is a game w/ those same rules and etiquette but also something bigger than themselves, a gentleman's game steeped in tradition. for me it's the former. it's a game i play where i try to get a ball in a cup by hitting it w/ a stick. i absolutely love it and that's all it needs to be for me. i follow the rules, etiquette, and dress code. if that means i can wear jeans at that course, i may (and have). if the rules say i can't, i won't.

after reading most of these posts, i was almost ashamed of being part of the board. that most of the people here will immediately judge someone by the pants they wear is amazing. how and why does it affect you? does the guy in your foursome make you miss that three footer because of his jeans? the guy who repairs his divots, fixes his ball marks, is quite during your stoke, ie follows the written etiquette is all i ask because that can actually affect my game. that's my definition of being a gentleman on the course but too shallow of a definition for many on here.

i think those are the kind of things that turn people off of the game. they think golf is about being part of a country club and socializing w/ rich people. it intimidates people which is a shame. sometimes i don't like mentioning my love of golf because people immediately peg you as uppity. it's the exact same irrational judging of a person. i play golf for the challenge, for fun, for the scenery, and for the social aspect. i don't play it so i can feel part of a tradition. not that i have a problem w/ people that follow the traditions and get something out of it. that's great if you somehow feel connected to old tom morris or bobby jones because you wear slacks. just dont' get why some care if someone else doesn't where slacks. i don't go to the course to tell the foursome ahead "hey look at me! i follow tradition, do I earn your respect?" i go to try to shoot a low score and mind my own business.

it's unbelievable that people compare this to weddings and funerals. golf is a game. it's not a ceremony for a dear friend or relative who has died. it's not a couple committing themselves to each other for the rest of their lives. when you go to those events you are paying respect to those people. generally, dressing formally constitutes respect. by no means is it a rule though - some may specifically ask you to dress casual. the point is you're dressing for another person. when i go to a golf course it's for me to enjoy. as long as i follow the rules of the course (be that allowing jeans or not) and follow the rules of etiquette that's all that's required. jeans may tell you i don't respect tradition (which would be true) but i didn't come to the course to gain your respect unlike a wedding or funeral.

this is the problem with traditions of any kind. people follow them for the sake of following them. little thought is put into why and whether it's still relevant. sure traditions can be fun and make you feel connected to the past but it also removes thought from your actions. where do you draw the line with attire? when it affects someone else's golf game as far as i'm concerned. i don't care what people wear. it doesn't stop my ball from going in the hole. i'm not saying all clubs should allow jeans public and private. they can do whatever they want. it's their right to run the club how they want. no ones forcing me to play there. at the same token, if you're annoyed at places that allow jeans, don't go there. just don't judge people's character because of it. it says nothing about how they treat you. i'd rather play w/ someone who treats me and the course w/ respect than treats a tradition w/ respect. unless it's a bet or they're posting a score, i could care less if they follow the rules of golf (etiquette aside). it doesn't affect me! it doesn't stop me from following the rules and enjoying my round.

I wish you could play golf in sweat pants. I'll wear sweat pants and a hoodie out to the range on the really quiet, crappy days of the winter solely because no one is out there, and it keeps me warm, and comfortable. If its nice out and no ones watching i'll go barefoot. haha. It's quite relaxing.

In all seriousness though, especially as a junior golfer, I try to keep my appearence. I chose a couple of instances where I'm not going to be in the public eye really. The course around me look down upon juniors a lot it seems so I deffinately try to look my best and keep myself pretty professional. Not that I'm saying jeans don;t look good, just not on a golf course. If your going to play golf, dress like a golfer, not like youre going to a club.

I think it's just naive to write it off by saying "whatever, why do you care what others wear? It's just clothing."

I think this goes hand in hand with people who don't understand why anyone would be offended by language - clothing is a signalling mechanism in our society. If you ever walk into a surgeon's office for a consult, and he's wearing a dirty Redwings jersey and flip flops, can you honestly say that wouldn't cause you to question his ability? If your wife/daughter/girlfriend showed up to play a round of golf in a clubbing outfit (no pun intended), it wouldn't bother you?

The fact is, certain ways of dressing and types of clothing have a normative meaning in our (or any) society. Even if it seems arbitrary, denim is widely considered a lower-class garment to wear to a game that prides itself on ettiquette and taste. It's on a level with having a playing partner who doesn't let the away player hit, always tees off first regardless of if they won the previous hole, kicks their ball onto fairways, writes down an incorrect score outside of a tournament etc...

At the point where you say that only those things that are objectively damaging to your ability to play matter, you should ALSO not care of other players have poor ettiquette in ways that don't directly impact your ability to make shots. To say "I don't care what someone is wearing, just as long as they have good ettiquette" is just ignorant of the role what you wear plays in how you are viewed.

Now, maybe you don't care about those other things, either. And maybe you don't think there's such thing as a categorical harm to a game or sport. But keep in mind that how the participants and fans of a sport act and conduct themselves does color the perception of the game to the outside (see: NASCAR. Do you think of NASCAR fans as erudite and cultured people?). It's possible that golf suffers from being viewed as elitist, but I don't think that comes from the fact that wearing denim to a course is considered bad ettiquette any more than getting hammered on the course is usually frowned upon.

Maybe jeans are becoming more accepted, but if I show up for a job interview in denim, I fully expect them to care no matter what my resume says.

Don't really care what others wear, but I can't say I like the look of jeans on a golf course.

But more importantly, what kind of jeans are people buying that are more comfortable than a good pair of golf pants? I've worn jeans to the range a few times and I absolutely hated it. Maybe it is just me, but jeans are way too constricting for golf. The idea of walking 18 on a humid day in a pair of jeans scares me :scare:

Lately I wear my golf pants more often than my jeans, they're just more comfortable.

I have done it once but I had a jean jacket so it was more like a tux.

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 9* w/ UST Linq Red 8F5

Callaway Rogue 3 LS Wood w/ UST Linq Blue 8F5

Callaway UW 19* w VA Baddazz 70X

Titleist T100 ‘21 4-9 w/ TT X100

Vokey 46* w/ TT X100

Vokey 50, 54 and 58* w/ BGT ZNE 130

L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 (Red) Broomstick

I think it's just naive to write it off by saying "whatever, why do you care what others wear? It's just clothing."

I think this goes hand in hand with people who don't understand why anyone would be offended by language - clothing is a signalling mechanism in our society. If you ever walk into a surgeon's office for a consult, and he's wearing a dirty Redwings jersey and flip flops, can you honestly say that wouldn't cause you to question his ability? If your wife/daughter/girlfriend showed up to play a round of golf in a clubbing outfit (no pun intended), it wouldn't bother you?

The fact is, certain ways of dressing and types of clothing have a normative meaning in our (or any) society. Even if it seems arbitrary, denim is widely considered a lower-class garment to wear to a game that prides itself on ettiquette and taste. It's on a level with having a playing partner who doesn't let the away player hit, always tees off first regardless of if they won the previous hole, kicks their ball onto fairways, writes down an incorrect score outside of a tournament etc...

At the point where you say that only those things that are objectively damaging to your ability to play matter, you should ALSO not care of other players have poor ettiquette in ways that don't directly impact your ability to make shots. To say "I don't care what someone is wearing, just as long as they have good ettiquette" is just ignorant of the role what you wear plays in how you are viewed.

Now, maybe you don't care about those other things, either. And maybe you don't think there's such thing as a categorical harm to a game or sport. But keep in mind that how the participants and fans of a sport act and conduct themselves does color the perception of the game to the outside (see: NASCAR. Do you think of NASCAR fans as erudite and cultured people?). It's possible that golf suffers from being viewed as elitist, but I don't think that comes from the fact that wearing denim to a course is considered bad ettiquette any more than getting hammered on the course is usually frowned upon.

Maybe jeans are becoming more accepted, but if I show up for a job interview in denim, I fully expect them to care no matter what my resume says.

You can apply that argument to anything. You can apply it to the car someone drives, the brand of shoe someone wears, the gym they are a member of, or any other superficial variable if your purpose is to justify some kind of elitist value judgment.

You can't use the doctor's office as an example. That is a professional, sterile environment. The golf course is a place for leisure. And it is a bit of a stretch, and in fact offensive, to equate wearing jeans with cheating.

Golf is a game where etiquette has developed because it is necessary to maintain the integrity of the playing field. You rake bunkers, place your divots, fix your ball marks on the green, etc. because these actions help to maintain the course itself. You stay silent when someone is making a stroke because it is distracting otherwise. You yell fore so that others know to look out for an errant ball. You penalize yourself because of the difficulty in monitoring a field full of players over a playing field as vast as a golf course. Etiquette has practical value, it's not just window dressing to show how this is a "gentleman's game".

But the dress code has no practical value considering that golf is a game, a leisure activity. The aversion to jeans appears to be a relic of golf as it was, a remnant of the times when the game was the domain of blue blooded socialites. For them, and it sounds like for you, golf is a lifestyle first and a game second. You seek the unique identity that comes with being a part of that lifestyle, a sort of social validation. There's nothing wrong with this, but let's call a spade a spade.

Moreover, it is naive to think that golfers are "erudite and cultured" people. Golf is not where you should be getting your culture from. If anything, the self-perception that many golfers have of their own relative social standing makes them worse than NASCAR fans.

For me, golf is a game, period. It only happens to be a lifestyle because I love the game and have immersed myself in it trying to get better. But it is a game, a leisure activity, a sport. As far as "categorical harm" to the sport, all I am concerned about is the integrity of the competition. And there is no room for institutionalized superficiality in a legitimate sport.

When it's been too cold for shorts, I can only think of one time that I've played golf and did not wear jeans. The only reason then was because the course (one of the top 4 or 5 in the state) had a dress code against it.

Of course I don't own but one pair of slacks so why would I want to wear them to the course and get them messed up. At the course where I'm a member, I can only think of one golfer that wears slacks, and that's mainly because he has to wear them to work and most of the time he stops at the course on his way home.

Keep in mind that in this part of the world, the majority of guys wear jeans to church and it's not all that uncommon to see someone wearing jeans at a wedding or funeral.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess the jeans and if you wear them applies to where you live and the golf course alot. I play regularly at a course where seeing someone in anything but shorts and jeans would be out of the ordinary. Granted its the culture of the town to wear jeans since many people still live on a farm or are blue collar workers like carpenters etc who dont own any "fancy" clothes.

I would never wear jeans to a different course though, I typically wear shorts all summer anyways because my legs are just so darn sexy. :man_in_love:

What can men hope to achieve when the respect of life is so arrogantly cast aside.
Who is not aware of the predjudices that were endured by those who came before us?
How easily we dismiss the the social injustices that the great players of this game struggled against!!
Apparently the facts regarding the origins of Golf and who precisely were "allowed " to play have been forgotten. Ladies and Gentlemen, let those who are aware of the history of this great game instruct... that this game was not available to just anyone.
There was a time when "common folk" did not aspire to walk the Links. Playing golf was for men with titles and land and wealth. Not working men,or women,or minorities...
Golf was for the wealthy gentry who could afford to squander their time, and money, on vices...like hard drink, idleness and golf. If one were not an invited member of an established Club ,the most he could hope to achieve would be to caddy for a gentleman. These days it would be fantastic to caddy for a Pro, because being a caddy implies a knowledge of the game far above the averge player.
Not so in the past.
All one needs to do is spend some time on the couch watching a few good movies or better yet turn the tube off and start reading the great books out there.
Who knows what "R&A" stands for? And how it so importantly impacts our course design today?
We all know who the pioneers of Baseball are. We instantly recognize the Heismann Trophy. We honor the greats by retiring their Jerseys...we respect their Uniform.
Because we understand the hard work,dermination and fortitude it took to earn it.
It wasn't free and it wasn't cheap.
We strive to respect the Players of the past by emulating their uniforms. The knickers,dress shirt and tie of Harry Vardon. The wild trousers of Jack Nicklaus.
The question is not how can we attempt to bring the game down to our level..The statement we should be making is " I may never win the Masters but I still Love the game, I understand the History,and I respect the obstacles that had to be overcome for me to be on this course".
I dress like a respectable player because I AM a respectable player.

I'm a member of a semi-private club. I keep a few collared shirts in my car and I put one on even if I'm just going to the putting green or practice range. I just don't feel comfortable wearing a tee-shirt.

Some guys show up in tank tops and "gym" shorts.

Different strokes for different folks I guess.

I don't wear jeans now but I can't say that wasn't always the case back in high school and college. I'm sure I played in them during cold fall mornings. Today I rarely wear jeans and find khaki's more comfortable than jeans so it really isn't an issue on the course. If it's cold, I wear long johns and backpacker pants. Otherwise I wear khaki's or shorts.