Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No way. The day I see the pros wearing jeans at Augusta is the day I throw away my clubs. (but not really).

I wear jeans everywhere EXCEPT the golf course.

Ping $430 LST | Ping Tour 2.0 65 
Titleist TSr2 4w | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8
Titleist TSr3 4h | Project X Even Flow White 100
PING i210 4-U | TT DG 120 S300
Vokey SM9 54.12D, 60.12D | TT DG S300
Scotty Cameron MonoBlok 6

Nay for me

Back in the day when I was first starting - Yay

I think it just looks tacky as I have fallen for this game. Coming up on 5 years of truely golfing not taking the Gart Sports clubs out with the friends in HS and drinking beer.

I am ok with shorts but cannot be jean shorts

I know I am stereotyping here but most the time the people I see wearing jeans on the course either A - are a hick from teh sticks. B - Work Construction. C - Have a 30+ handicap and are playing the back tees thinking they are Tiger

i don't do it personally, i'm not a huge fan of jeans to begin with... I'm more conformable in a pair of slacks then jeans but whatever...

However, i play with a guy regularly that has a 2 index and he wears them (he wears all sorts of crazy outfits), but he likes to play for money so i think he does it to make people think he is some sort of hacker... of course i know bettor given i lay with him all the time only time he doesn't do it is when we play a nicer course then his home course where he is a member...

“He that can have patience can have what he will.” ~ Benjamin Franklin
“Golf is a game that is played on a five-inch course – the distance between your ears.” ~ Bobby Jones
“A good player who is a great putter is a match for any golfer. A great hitter who cannot putt is a match for no one.” ~ Ben Sayers

i don't do it personally, i'm not a huge fan of jeans to begin with... I'm more conformable in a pair of slacks then jeans but whatever...

However, i play with a guy regularly that has a 2 index and he wears them (he wears all sorts of crazy outfits), but he likes to play for money so i think he does it to make people think he is some sort of hacker... of course i know bettor given i lay with him all the time only time he doesn't do it is when we play a nicer course then his home course where he is a member...

Dude. Some things are better kept private. :D

I'll stop wearing jeans as soon as the following are banned;

Baggy, ill fitting, rumpled, crumpled, khakis, 2 inches too long with the bottoms frayed from walking on them.

Addidas snap offs

All nylon coaching pants, especially the ones with elastic cuffs

Pants of any style with a cell phone pocket that actually has a cell phone it the pocket

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

Dude. Some things are better kept private. :D

LMAO!! TMI

They are pants ppl. First don't you think it makes a difference where you are playing? Some courses a much more casual than others. I find it ammussing that someone in plaid shorts and black "dress" type shoes (FJ Classics or whatever) will look down at the guy wearing a pair of $100 CK's because the are denim. If you are playing at a muni and dressed like a tour pro you make my day. I can't wear jeans but you can wear that dirty ripped up sweat stained thing you call a hat? I just don't see how you can lump all "jeans" into the same category. A very nice pair of jeans that cost twice what your Dockers cost is in no way lower class. You are guilty of pantsism!

OK let it fly, I'm ready.

never ever have I or would I wear jeans on the course.

I golf at a private golf club(Royal Ottawa), they hate when you wear shorts even though they are allowed. I believe that golf is a gentleman's sport, and jeans are a TOTAL Discrase to the great game of golf! I wear jeans while I am not at the course, but wearing them at the corse is absolutely disgusting! I don't mean to offend anyone, for this is only my opinion.

I golf at a private golf club(Royal Ottawa), they hate when you wear shorts even though they are allowed. I believe that golf is a gentleman's sport, and jeans are a TOTAL Discrase to the great game of golf! I wear jeans while I am not at the course, but wearing them at the corse is absolutely disgusting! I don't mean to offend anyone, for this is only my opinion.

With all due respect. Golf is an everyman's sport. How can wearing jeans be Ok until you walk onto the golf course and then they suddenly become disgusting. Like the poster above said, how can the guy wearing dirty, baggy cargo pants be more respectful than me when I'm wearing a nice clean pair of Calvin's? If you join a club with a dress code, then so be it, but for anyone to judge someone by their pants is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Dust off your powdered wig and relax. No offense. I'm far from a disgrace to the game of golf when I wear jeans. Classism, racism, sexism, to start with may qualify as disgraceful. Peace.

You mean gentlemans's game right? In what sport do you have to wear dress pants/slacks and wear dressy looking shoes? I understand it is a gentlemens game and respect that. I generally always wear either dri-fit, clima-cool, or the JL tech fiber shirts because it is freakin hot when I play and it is not fun sweating in cotton polo's. But personally I'd like to play in a tank top so I don't have too look at a farmers tan all year but at the very least I'd like to play in more athletic clothing and shorts. It's funny cause when Tiger or Camillo or other players on tour who look like athletes play practice rounds they play in mesh shorts and muscle shirts (tech sports wear). This would make me feel better and maybe ... maybe play better.

Not too long ago caddies weren't allowed to wear shorts cause it wasn't 'gentlemenly' but Tiger was able to change that. I think Golf can evolve with the times and still remain a gentlemen's game, which has more to do with how you treat others, the game, and yourself moreso then what you wear.

Puts on my best Allen Iverson voice:

Jeans? We're talking about jeans? I mean, come on. Jeans? Really?

I don't care if you show up in a plaid tube top sporting a pink tutu and pumps.

If you can play without screaming like an idiot at every shot, driving your cart straight down the middle of the fairway from the tee to the green, replace your divots, fix your ball marks, rake a damn bunker, stop dragging your spikes across the green, don't steal my ball, don't hit into the group in front of you, know that golf is a game not a five hour nature hike, put the flag back in before you leave the green, don't let your kid chop at the green with his "cute little putter", stop pissing all over the course making a freaking man made enviromental hazard to wade thru while looking for that errant shot you just hit at 90* off the intended target, don't slam your putter into the cup, and last but not least refrain from saying don't choke anytime I'm about to putt, then I really don't care that you are wearing jeans.

I mean really, we're talking about jeans? If that is all you have to complain about, I want to play where you are playing. You have it nice.

With all due respect. Golf is an everyman's sport. How can wearing jeans be Ok until you walk onto the golf course and then they suddenly become disgusting. Like the poster above said, how can the guy wearing dirty, baggy cargo pants be more respectful than me when I'm wearing a nice clean pair of Calvin's? If you join a club with a dress code, then so be it, but for anyone to judge someone by their pants is possibly the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Dust off your powdered wig and relax. No offense. I'm far from a disgrace to the game of golf when I wear jeans. Classism, racism, sexism, to start with may qualify as disgraceful. Peace.

Well, I don't think that's too difficult to answer... would you wear jeans to a corp CEO meeting? Would you wear cut-offs to a "fancy" wedding, would you wear jeans to (pick your serious event). It make good sense that someone can wear jeans, but that not be acceptable somewhere like a golf course. I agree, there are plenty of other "nasty" pants that shouldn't be allowed either, but jeans are often a sign of a less than average golfer don't you think?

Well, I don't think that's too difficult to answer... would you wear jeans to a corp CEO meeting? Would you wear cut-offs to a "fancy" wedding, would you wear jeans to (pick your serious event). It make good sense that someone can wear jeans, but that not be acceptable somewhere like a golf course. I agree, there are plenty of other "nasty" pants that shouldn't be allowed either, but jeans are often a sign of a less than average golfer don't you think?

This one isn't too difficult to answer either. Golf is none of those things you've just given as an example. It is a game. Not a job or a serious event. IF, you are a pro and the rules say, "no jeans" then sure but for 98% of the people here, it's still just a game no matter how serious you think you are.

I would be more concerned when you can't spell "disgrace" or "course" correctly to be honest.

So now we're comparing Golfing to a Corp. CEO meeting or a wedding......

Some of the "Outfits" :rolleyes: I see some of the tour clowns wear make them look like idiots from a clown show....but that's OK because they aren't jeans......what a joke.

Remember the reasons given, "Golf is a gentleman's game" :rolleyes: Some of those "Gentleman" would roll over there in their graves if they saw some of that garbage being worn....

"Looks good on you though"......

Bah...

So now we're comparing Golfing to a Corp. CEO meeting or a wedding......

Some of the "Outfits" :rolleyes: I see some of the tour clowns wear make them look like idiots from a clown show....but that's OK because they aren't jeans......what a joke.

Remember the reasons given, "Golf is a gentleman's game" :rolleyes: Some of those "Gentleman" would roll over there in their graves if they saw some of that garbage being worn....

"Looks good on you though"......

Bah...

So true! I still love it when the 20 handicap shows up at my local blue collar muni course and he's dressed head to toe in a tour player "costume"! And how can ppl lump a pair of cut-offs or dirty ripped wranglers into the same category as a pair of $100 designer jeans? Does that mean you can't drive your Escalade to the course because GM makes cheap/crappy cars? "No Chevy's please, that's our rule here at Bushwood. That's a nice hat..does it come with a free bowl of soup?"

No, I wouldn't wear cut-offs to a fancy wedding. DUH. A round of golf at my local small town muni is far from a fancy wedding anyway. Golf is for everyone, from blue collar workers who love the game and could not tell you who JL is, or could not care less, to snotty, elitist, cigar smoking, 5 some playing in front of you and won't let you play through *****s. (with $5000 bag and $1 game i might add). I care more about how you behave on the course than what you are wearing. I've seen plenty of well dressed a- h@#$% acting like idiots on the golf course. Their pants didn't seem to change their personalities. Did you even read what I wrote? My whole point is that you can't simply say all jeans are in the same category.I think your scorecard will determine whether or not you are less than average. If you want to join the country club and play dress up, more power to you, just let the rest of the world have fun without all the bashing. Peace ppl.

BTW-

Just what is a "Less than average golfer" ?

Less than average skill wise, less than average personality, less than average income?, Human Being with a golf club in hand?

Does anyone here really think that if a snobby rich guy with a $600 outfit was having a heart attack right there in the middle of the Muni fairway, and the only guy that could help him just happened to be the "lowlife" behind them wearing a pair of Calvins, that they would turn him away and tell him to get with the program and go get some real Golf Pants and then come back and save their buddy?

I do think folks should try and at least look respectable on the course( anywhere really), but golf isn't just for the rich folk, and believe it or not those multi-use jeans cost enough $, some folks don't have the $, or the desire to have single use clothes...

" OOOO come on..you can get them cheap, $30- no biggy....." no biggy for you, some folks struggle just to get on the course and have respectable gear(AKA Non Gutta perch balls etc...)

My brother would love to be able to get really nice gear and clothes, and still be able to practice and golf at decent courses.....just isn't happening on his salary, his house and family come first....so he does the best he can, and tries to look respectable.

The elitism I see is so outright pathetic it's embarrassing, and we aren't even talking about Private Courses.

I've said my part in the past, jeans IMO have no place on the golf course, nor do athletic pants. The other day I stopped at the range on the way home from work, and was wearing jeans. It was just wrong.

I think all sport has protocol that should be followed, sure fashions and elements change, but almost all is still based on it's roots. If your course allows denim and you are fine with it, then wear them. You won't catch me wearing Jeans on the course, to an extent I think it's disrespectful to the history of the game.

I guess this thread proves it is a contentious issue where personal opinions run high. Would I wear jeans on the course or driving range? No.

I suppose it is up to golf clubs to decide what is appropriate attire at their course and as long as people abide by those stipulations we should respect their appearance. I personally love the traditions of golf, to me it is part of what makes the game special, but I can understand the point of view of people who believe the game has a 'stuffy' image. It is a hard balance to find between the two opinions.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

I did vote "Nay" and it was, at the time, an honest answer.

After watching the LPGA wearing short-shorts on tour, all I can say now is "wear whatever you want", who am I to criticize?

As far as your conduct and/or attitude on the course is concerned, that's the marshal's problem, not mine!

And how about those '50s type caps they wear backwards?

Personal note: They do look FINE in short-shorts or mini-skirts.

DRIVER: Ping G20, 9.5° w/169D-Tour, reg (Back up: Srixon Z-rw, 9.5°, stf)
3+W: Srixon Z-Steel, 12.5°, stock SV3005J, stf. (In rotation: 3W, 14.5°)
5W: Srixon Z-Steel, 18.5° stock SV3005J, stf
IRONS: Ping i20, 3-PW, stock CFS reg @ D2
PUTTER: Ping Craz-E iWi, w/2x20gr weights, Lamkin Jumbo pistol grip
WEDGES: Ping Glide, 54° SS, 60° TS, stock Ping wedge shafts
BALL: Srixon XV 
CART: SunMountain V1, STEWARTGOLF Z1
BAG: SM H2N0, PING C-130
BACK UP: Ping S58, 3-Pw, stock CS-Lite, stf, @ D2. (Lofts jacked to S55 specs.)

I did vote "Nay" and it was, at the time, an honest answer.

After watching the LPGA wearing short-shorts on tour, all I can say now is "wear whatever you want", who am I to criticize?

As far as your conduct and/or attitude on the course is concerned, that's the marshal's problem, not mine!

And how about those '50s type caps they wear backwards?

Personal note: They do look FINE in short-shorts or mini-skirts.

Working at a golf course, the only reason MOST (not all, but most) of the people watch the LPGA is because of the short shorts they wear (Paula Cramer :clapping:)

If I am going out for just a casual round with friends I will wear jeans. But if I am going to an outing or a planned golf trip i will wear dockers or slacks. I am most comfortable in slacks but sometimes we decide last minute to go play nine and I am not going to run home to change!

TE C722 9* House of Forged custom shaft XX
TE C722 15* Tensei AV-RAW White 7x

TE C722 18* Tensei AV-RAW White 8x

Ping I525 4-GW Project X IO stiff
Vokey SM8 54*
Vokey SM8 58*
Putter = flavor of the day. (EvnRoll ER11vx, 3 different Seemores,  TM TM2 Truss CS, Machine CS M2A Converter, 2 different Yes putters)
Maxfli Tour X or Vice Pro