Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the winter I wear khaki's, they are looser and more comfortable. I suppose relaxed fitted jeans are the same, but seem non-stylish for golf, and feels on the cheap side to me.

I believe image lends into the feel of playing better golf to a small extent. It might not for others, but when I dress like a golfer, I feel better playing, and this affects my game.

It really depends on the season, during the summer I would never wear jeans on the course just because it is mid season and it is the golf season to everyone beside the addicts and may make a bad impression.... and it would just be too hot. In the spring and fall I don't find a problem throwin' on some denim just because it is just me and a jew others on the course that could really care less. Keep in mind here I am member at a public course.

I'm from the UK.

At my club I would never dare to wear jeans, change shoes in car park or use a mobile phone on the course. And I'd get thrown out if I did.

I'm not a snob just uphold the values of the game.

But, I just wouldn't feel right wearing jeans... it's just not right.

That's another thing that drives me nuts, especially at a private club, but that's another thread. :)

Speaking as a guy who not infrequently (discreetly) changes his entire wardrobe in golf course parking lots, please explain what the problem is with changing one's shoes beside one's vehicle.

And no, I'm not changing into jeans. :D

Not ever. Incredibly uncomfortable. And they look terrible on a golf course. No style.

Do you think they look terrible off the course?

And when you define style, are you referring to the Golf attire which is twenty years out of date for comparison? Polo shirts, diamond pattern jumpers, caps with golf brands, jumpers with eagles on and slacks with creases in the front lol :cheesy:

Oh and I change my shoes next to my car... The shame of it.

It must be said, if you are comfortable playing in jeans and changing your shoes in the car park of your local course, then by all means carry on. If the club you are attached to are comfortable with it too, that's a bonus.

But once you get into this game, meet differnt people, play different courses, maybe even represent your club in competitions - you soon get to realise that there really is an acceptable standard of attire and behaviour for the aspiring player.

You may well enjoy playing the same course with your pals ( or on your own?), but there is nothing quite like sampling the delights of other courses and players. Wearing what you like to other courses is simply not possible.

Not only is it disrespectful to the club you are visiting, but in many instances in won't even get you on the tee.

See how far you get in jeans and changing your shoes in the car park at Muirfield, for example.

If you want to stay in your own bubble and play to your own standards, then that is fine. But in order to truly appreciate the world of golf, a conforming attitude is required - which also means your attire.

It must be said, if you are comfortable playing in jeans and changing your shoes in the car park of your local course, then by all means carry on. If the club you are attached to are comfortable with it too, that's a bonus.

But once you get into this game, meet differnt people, play different courses, maybe even represent your club in competitions - you soon get to realise that there really is an acceptable standard of attire and behaviour for the aspiring player.

You may well enjoy playing the same course with your pals ( or on your own?), but there is nothing quite like sampling the delights of other courses and players. Wearing what you like to other courses is simply not possible.

Not only is it disrespectful to the club you are visiting, but in many instances in won't even get you on the tee.

See how far you get in jeans and changing your shoes in the car park at Muirfield, for example.

If you want to stay in your own bubble and play to your own standards, then that is fine. But in order to truly appreciate the world of golf, a conforming attitude is required - which also means your attire.

Personally I have been playing for nearly 30 years, I do play different courses, so I would say "I am into the game" not very well but that’s another story lol. I have never worn jeans if a course requires slacks, I wouldn't drive to a course have an argument on the first tee and drive home after not being allowed what is the point of that?. That just not sensible or possible and I don't think players are commenting about breaking the dress code of courses or being disrespectful. It’s about yes or no, would you wouldn't you (if you could), and not would you turn up at a course and blatantly break the dress code.

I joined a club specifically because it’s a friendly casual attitude where the brand on your jumper is not how you are defined by people in the club house or on the course. However I understand that when I play elsewhere I need to wear slacks etc.

Do I prefer casual? Yes.

Do I think my score is more important than my cloths? Yes.

Do I dress to what the course requires when playing away? Yes everytime.

I also don't need a conforming attitude to "truly appreciate golf". WTF :russian_roulette:

Personally I have been playing for nearly 30 years, I do play different courses, so I would say "I am into the game" not very well but that's another story lol. I have never worn jeans if a course requires slacks, I wouldn't drive to a course have an argument on the first tee and drive home after not being allowed what is the point of that?. That just not sensible or possible and I don't think players are commenting about breaking the dress code of courses or being disrespectful. It's about yes or no, would you wouldn't you (if you could), and not would you turn up at a course and blatantly break the dress code.

I joined a club specifically because it's a friendly casual attitude where the brand on your jumper is not how you are defined by people in the club house or on the course. However I understand that when I play elsewhere I need to wear slacks etc.

Do I prefer casual? Yes.

Do I think my score is more important than my cloths? Yes.

Do I dress to what the course requires when playing away? Yes everytime.

I also don't need a conforming attitude to "truly appreciate golf". WTF :russian_roulette:

It would seem that opinions, like your dress sense, vary.

Well said. Thank you. I'm not from a private club and do not come from money. However, I believe that golf is a gentleman's game and certain traditions and rules should apply no matter what. Although the game has come a long way as far as discrimination against anyone who is NOT a WASP (white anglo saxon protestant) and women, I'm all for keeping a sense of pride and etiquette in the game. What's wrong with tradition? Shaking hands, remaining still while someone takes a shot, etc. Hell, they used to wear SUITS when playing golf. JMHO. Look your best and play your best.

I think it depends on where you live and play. I can honestly say that I've never seen anyone at a Palm Springs area course wear blue jeans and a large percentage wear shorts....even in the winter. Collared shirts and no jeans is the standard here. If I travel 50 miles west into the Inland Empire jeans don't seem that uncommon.

Personally, I would never play in jeans but I have a difficult time playing in pants of any kind because I'm so used to wearing shorts. Pants seem very constricting and I think jeans would be terrible to play in.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

I like to wear slacks when I play but I don't understand why people care so much about what others wear on the course. If there is a dress code then people should obey it but if not then wear the clothes that make you feel comfortable.

I agree.

I've said this before- after seeing how so many people are personally offended by what others are wearing, I may start wearing really annoying outfits during tournaments. I can't believe how easily people are mentally distracted.

I'm going to start dressing like Duffy Waldorf or Woody Austin!!! :partytime2::partytime2:

I'm going to sport a THONG and see what happens.

I live in black stretch Wrangler jeans in cold weather. I've never been told that I couldn't play on any golf course while wearing them. The don't have contrasting stitching so I guess most people don't notice. Those that care, I couldn't care less what their opinion is. What people wear is not even on the list of what I notice.

It must be said, if you are comfortable .... changing your shoes in the car park of your local course, then by all means carry on.

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but how does one put on their golf shoes if the parking lot is in bad taste?

Do you drive with your golf shoes on? I understand that some clubs have change rooms but the majority do not.

Nobody wears jeans where I play but everyone (I think) changes their shoes in the parking lot.

Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

That's one of the sounds of the game that I like the most: A pair of shoes being beat together to loosen the grass from the spikes. Having said that, it's not something that you hear very often while playing in the Palm Springs area as the grass is so perfectly manicured that I've yet had to clean the underside of my shoes after a round!

WITB
Sim 9° Diamana Limited 
TM M3 15°
Adams Idea Pro 22°
Hogan Icons 4-P
Titleist SM8 50° 54° 60°
Callaway MD4 64°
Ping Sigma Darby

That's one of the sounds of the game that I like the most: A pair of shoes being beat together to loosen the grass from the spikes. Having said that, it's not something that you hear very often while playing in the Palm Springs area as the grass is so perfectly manicured that I've yet had to clean the underside of my shoes after a round!

LOL Simp. Yes it is true...and we don't have mud on our courses and the birds seem to chirp a happier tune!

Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

I'm from the UK.

At my club I would never dare to wear jeans, change shoes in car park or use a mobile phone on the course. And I'd get thrown out if I did.

I'm not a snob just uphold the values of the game.

But, I just wouldn't feel right wearing jeans... it's just not right.

That's another thing that drives me nuts, especially at a private club, but that's another thread. :)

Speaking as a guy who not infrequently (discreetly) changes his entire wardrobe in golf course parking lots, please explain what the problem is with changing one's shoes beside one's vehicle.

And no, I'm not changing into jeans. :D

I just don't feel it's appropriate to change your shoes at the car if the place you are playing has facilities for you to change.

That said there may very well be plenty of places that don't have such facilities and, in that case, then it's fine to do so (which is why I specifically said that it drives me nuts at private clubs).

I'm not trying to be a smart aleck but how does one put on their golf shoes if the parking lot is in bad taste?

Do you drive with your golf shoes on?

Whenever I am playing my home course, actually, yes I do.

There are private clubs that will "fine" a memebr for changing shoes in the parking lot or for allowing their guest to do so. Kind of uppity to me, but if you know it is the rule you can't complain. Same with jeans. I have no real problem with it, but many private clubs have put in rules against it. I was a member of a club that allowed no denim. It did not matter if it was a jacket or a vest or what color the denim was.

Im only 26 and have been playing scense I was 13 and never put a pair jeans on to go to the course to hit balls or play a round. My grandfather is the one who got me into the game. And tought me that it was a gentalmens game. When I thank of a gentalman I dont think of someone whereing jeans. I think of a well dressed man. Im not saying that if you do so that you are not thats jmo.

NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY NAY

Personally, I never wear jeans and until a few years ago, I never saw jeans on the golf course.

My home course is a $98 per round public course. Once the temperature drops it seems 50% of the guys out there are wearing jeans.

It's not against club policy so I don't care...I just find it interesting.

Did you ever imagine that this thread would still be alive after all this time? Amazing the things people will talk about. Hey, here I am commenting on the thread. Go figure. :rolleyes:

Im only 26 and have been playing scense I was 13 and never put a pair jeans on to go to the course to hit balls or play a round. My grandfather is the one who got me into the game. And tought me that it was a gentalmens game. When I thank of a gentalman I dont think of someone whereing jeans. I think of a well dressed man. Im not saying that if you do so that you are not thats jmo.

Are you trying to misspell that many words? I mean, I can't stand people who correct spelling and grammar on message boards, but damn...

[size=3]PING G400 Max 9° Aldila X-Torsion Copper 60S
Callaway GBB Epic 3 UST Mamiya Recoil 450 ES F4
Callaway GBB Epic 3, 4 UST Mamiya Recoil 780 ES F4
Callaway Rogue 5-AW True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300
PING Glide 2.0 54° SS, 58° ES AWT 2.0
Toulon Garage Columbus
TaylorMade 2017 TP5[/size]

I never tuck my shirt in on the golf course. I just can't get comfortable...kind of like Monty w/ a hat.

When I play private courses where you NEED to tuck your shirt in, I usually have it un-tucked by the fifth hole.

I just have to make sure not to buy the shirts with the duck's flap. :P

to each his own, totally.

up here in the northeast, playing a LOT of muni's and public courses in and around NYC and Philadelphia, i dont think i've ever seen anyone wearing jeans. it's a bit of a shock to see how many players on here actually prefer to play with jeans. it just seems like it would be unbelievably more uncomfortable than a pair of slacks when it comes to doing athletic movements. is that not true?

as far as tucking the shirt in, i CANNOT do it anywhere else in my life. but i have no problem doing it on the golf course. it's the one place where i really have pride in how i look. take it for what it is. and like i said, to each his own.

Not for me, they're just not comfortable feeling to me. I'm not part of the fashion police, so I don't care if other people are out there wearing wife beaters. If I had a pair of some upper end high priced jeans that were velvet soft and breathable, then I might wear them, but most of my jeans just don't seem conducive to an athletic movement and are bulky and almost sort of starchy. It's like I wouldn't wear jeans to jog or lift weights either.