What's the worst cheating you've ever seen or heard about?

[quote name='kauaigolf' post='1839584' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:54 PM']I played in a charity scramble tournament, in which they had a long drive hole...The long drive winner was a 65 year old, 30+ handicapper, who played in the final group that went through that hole. There was no spotters, and when my group played the hole, the current long drive was well over 330 yards out, held by a young single digit golfer. Shocked does not even begin to describe the look on the other participants faces when the winner's name was announced.[/quote]

He prob wasnt cheating, he just hit form the senior tees. Which I think defeats the purpose of LONGEST DRIVE. Obviously his drive wasnt the longest, just furtherest down the fairway. This same thing has happened twice to me in scrambles. In a scramble once when I was in college the senior tees where like 110 yards up on a longest drive hole.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='kauaigolf' post='1839584' date='Jul 23 2009, 06:54 PM']I played in a charity scramble tournament, in which they had a long drive hole...The long drive winner was a 65 year old, 30+ handicapper, who played in the final group that went through that hole. There was no spotters, and when my group played the hole, the current long drive was well over 330 yards out, held by a young single digit golfer. Shocked does not even begin to describe the look on the other participants faces when the winner's name was announced.[/quote]

He prob wasnt cheating, he just hit form the senior tees. Which I think defeats the purpose of LONGEST DRIVE. Obviously his drive wasnt the longest, just furtherest down the fairway. This same thing has happened twice to me in scrambles. In a scramble once when I was in college the senior tees where like 110 yards up on a longest drive hole.

Had a rival who I never had played with. We play in several of the same local fund raiser outings every year. Not a lot of good players but a lot of drinking, laughing, and waiting around to finish in 5 1/2 hours. So I have won more then my share of low grosses by just being able to break 80 consistantly. Then I start getting beat by a stroke or two on occassion and hear stories about said player and how long he hits it ect. So I seek out the winner who I know to say hey to and talk golf and grouse and brag about the rounds. All is good, I even leave an open invitation to play at my club, thinking we get along we play competively, never happends. This goes on for a couple of years. Him winning more then me but I had my run and who needs another bag or wedge? Then after one of the outings he comes to me and asks how'd you do? I tell him 77 he says 76 i say good goin and mention that on # 11 I hit 3 wood to stay out of the fairway bunker hit it good and got in it in bad lie yada yada made double. He says yeah I saved bogey on 17 hit it left through trees onto the avenue put the next one on and missed a short one for par. So I asked you drove the green? he says no. I say if you hit the first one out of bounds then you reteed hitting 3 and 2 putted for bogey. He says oh no thats a dirfferent hole. OK. It just so happens he's riding with my brother, who is not really a golfer and got in as a single and paired up when someone else dropped out. I ask him what did so and so do on 17? Did he lose a ball across to the road. He says yeah then he dropped hit the next one bad never found it dropped again scuffled it then and finished out. I said and he made 5? My brother says, thats what he said he had thats what I put down I don't care. To make a long story I have played with this guy since and he's had a best of 87 in maybe 5 rounds. All these years he's played with guys who had no clue, were awed with how long he hit it and never questioned him. He had no problem just putting down pars and boges on bad holes while making a couple of birds on the real short holes where he would hit it long drive up and play it out while the hacks were back in the woods. The only one who didn't know was me. When I started inquiring to some mutual freinds who are not very good players but have some knowledge of scoring and have played with him they all said yeah he never broke 90 in his life, never loses a ball never has a penalty, runs up and finishes out while we're looking for a ball. WOW!!! How do you sleep at night!!!!!!! Not only for my sake cause I had some stinkers and wasn't second all the time. So there were times that some one who played good golf didn't get recognized and/or won the bag he could have used. SAD SAD Story

Playing a scramble in a tournament that we have played in for years....Longest drive hole, my friend nuts one gets longest drive by a good 25 yards over the current long drive. We're watching the group behind us and all of a sudden a guy who hit a pretty good drive about 5 yards behind my buddy (in the rough) kicks his ball from the rough to what looked like it would have been a close call between the 2 drives. He was concentrating on his own group not seeing him do this, never thought that we could be watching him pull this stunt. They were the second to last group finishing that hole.

Picks up the pin, marks his name. Got into the clubhouse before them, told our buddy who runs the tournamet what had happened (he knows us well and knows we wouldn't make it up). He says "stick around for this one".

Now here is the best part, gets the marker sheet, confirms he was the only name after my buddy... Announces the long drive winner and hands him an envelope which is marked "Gift Certificate for 1 Taylormade R7 Driver and fitting session". In the envelope is a note that says "Congratulations on being the long drive cheater you win a free life lesson ".

At the end of the night, our friend gave my buddy the free 4some prize at an exclusive private course and says congratulations on your drive.

Driver - M2/KuroKage xstiff
3 wood - TS2 16.5/KuroKage xstiff
Hybrids - Titleist 918 3/4
Irons - Mizuno 223, Modus 105 Stiff
Wedges - Vokey SM8 - 51, 56, 60
Whitlam/Gauge Design - Coldstar Devon ETBW
Bag - Sun Mountain C-130

Club - WoodenSticks Golf Club

If I see a thread that is over 2 pages and I haven't read any of it before, I almost always skip it (I guess I must have ADD :). But I decide to read the first couple post in this one just to see the flavor of it. Well over 45 minutes later, I finished the whole thing. It was like a good page turner, you couldn't wait to see what the next chapter was.

Great thread everyone thanks for your contributions. Oh, I would chime in but the ones I've witnessed are pretty much the same as many that have been posted. Okay, I'll add one.

Of course it's a charity scramble. But this one is hosted by the local Police Department to raise funds for a summer camp for kids they help sponsor. Just about every cop in town that wasn't on duty was playing. I was playing with two detective friends of mine on the force. They aren't great golfers, neither am I and we come in with a 66 or 67 I think.

We hand in our card and they put it up on the board and just about everyone in the tent area starts laughing and I here someone say "Well there was one honest group out there" I then look at the board and see at least a dozen scores in the 50's and everything else in the low 60's. We for DFL!!!

I asked my buddy about it, and he just shook his head and said "Cops are the worst cheaters, every year it's just a matter of who's the best or last liar"

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

The most blatant cheating I ever saw was by a very prominent member of the Senior Tour (10+ years ago). I used to work at a course that often had Tour and Senior Tour players come play and practice. Let's just say this gentleman was well past his prime, and was even too old for the Senior Tour at that point. He shows up one day with a female companion who couldn't have been more than 21. By the way they were acting you could tell she wasn't the niece, grand-daughter, or whatever. And to say she was attractive would be an understatement (kind of looked like Lauren Thompson). Anyway, I was working in the shop and this guy pulls me aside and says, "If my wife calls tell her I'm here by myself and I've been practicing all day." I was so scared that his wife was going to call or show up. I didn't want to be the one to blow his cover. (Guy code right?)

[b]Driver:[/b] TaylorMade Tour Issue M3 8.9*, Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.2 Tour Spec X
[b]3 Wood:[/b] Taylormade R15 15*, Fujikura Motore F1X
[b]Hybrid:[/b] TaylorMade M1 19*, Fujikura Speeder Evo 82H X
[b]Irons:[/b] Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW , Tour Issue TT DG X100
[b]Wedges:[/b] Yururi Gekku Raw 49*, 53* & 57* Nippon NS Pro Modus3 130X
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

I was a victim of it in a matchplay match last week, my opponent was helping me search for a stray ball of mine, after a few mins I noticed he strangely hadn't moved from one area, as I turned around I saw him rock forward on his front foot (as if standing on a pedal).

He was looking in my direction whilst doing it and kind of panicked (classic hand in cookie jar moment) and said "here it is, bad lie I'm afraid". That gave him away, he knew it, he knew I knew it too. Sure enough my ball was so deep in "shortish" rough I could hardly see it. It was the last hole and he was 1 down and desperate not to lose (a bad tempered kind of guy). I bogeyed and he parred to half the match.

We never shook hands and he left immediately without joining his team mates in the bar after (scared if I would say anything I assumed).

I've only been playing a month and am very, very strict on myself to play by the rules. I just broke 100 recently (97) and it was rewarding because I know it was legit (I shot a 115 and 105 following that, so I'm streaky haha).

Anyways, seems like everyone I play with (even my brothers) adjust their lie on every shot, mis-mark their ball on the green, and don't count their scores correctly.

Is this just the nature of the game?

^^^
More the nature of people, I'm afraid.

Kudos to you for having integrity, even when those around you do not. Ultimately, when people like those you describe are forced by either pride or money being on the line in a match, you have been better prepared for hitting shots from bad lies than they are. It will matter less to you than it will to them, since you have always played by the rules. Good luck in your quest to improve!

Guy playing with his 11 year old son at my club, 2 other Jnr's stroll up to the tee they agree to play matchplay, on the 9th he goes ob and just drops it by the post and doesnt go back to play a provisional, he then chips onto green doesnt even putt out, the 2 that joined only played nine, he continued to play the back nine with his 11 YEAR OLD SON, marked his own card, got his son to sign it, we go to the club the next day to see a nett 65 or something ridiculous and the winner of the mid week medal was him,

thankfully he's not longer at our golf club :D,

Jack x.

[quote name='OpusX20' post='1840655' date='Jul 24 2009, 07:17 AM']... Anyway, I was working in the shop and this guy pulls me aside and says, "If my wife calls tell her I'm here by myself and I've been practicing all day." I was so scared that his wife was going to call or show up. I didn't want to be the one to blow his cover. (Guy code right?)[/quote]

Wrong.

[quote name='StraightShooter' post='1840776' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:22 AM']I've only been playing a month and am very, very strict on myself to play by the rules. I just broke 100 recently (97) and it was rewarding because I know it was legit (I shot a 115 and 105 following that, so I'm streaky haha).

Anyways, seems like everyone I play with (even my brothers) adjust their lie on every shot, mis-mark their ball on the green, and don't count their scores correctly.

Is this just the nature of the game?[/quote]
StraightShooter, I've read some of your other posts here since you joined recently, It's apparent that you have been bitten by the golf bug and that's great. I also know from reading some of the posts you already have an admirable healthy respect for the game and those around it, that's great to see in a newcomer.

Congrats on breaking 100 so soon as well. As for the example of the guys you've been playing with, I'm sorry to say it will most likely get more aggravating, as you play by the rules and shoot solid honest scores and you watch them roll, nudge, kick, scott and everyting else all over the place. Then of course they will brag saying the beat you or almost beat you. It's enevitable, so just either let it roll off your back or you'll find new playing partners.

I'm in the Maryland Burbs and we have a group of guys who range from 5 to 21 in HC"s and all play by the rules and enjoy the competetion. Your already playing at most of our levels, if you ever want to join us , we'd be happy to have you. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='pinhigh27' post='1840436' date='Jul 24 2009, 08:16 AM'][quote name='Ty_Webb' post='1840432' date='Jul 24 2009, 08:12 AM'][quote name='pinhigh27' post='1840405' date='Jul 24 2009, 07:43 AM'][quote name='jfstone4' post='1537549' date='Mar 7 2009, 03:38 AM']A funny incident that made me kind of mad was when I was playing in a junior tournament and a kid in my group teed his ball in front of the markers on a par three by a couple of inches. I called him on it, but I had no other witnesses so I couldn't do anything. The very next hole he does it again, but even further in front of the markers. This time the other kids in my group saw so we called him on it. He hit his ball way way left into no mans land, so he would have to re-tee anyways. He hit the next drive in the fairway and holed out for par. How unjust is that, a cheater gets rewarded.[/quote]

Well, if they hit a bad shot you don't call them on their tee placement, but if they hit a good one, ask them to retee behind the markers, that's the proper play.
[/quote]

In matchplay yes. In strokeplay there's a two shot penalty and you must hit again.
[/quote]

Oh my bad, our coaches last year didn't tell us about a penalty, that is good to know though! So if their ball goes OB they're hitting 5? Or just 3 as the OB is negated?
[/quote]

Stroke with the ball played from the wrong place is ignored (as indeed are any other shots played before he corrects his mistake), so you'd be playing three from the tee, no matter where your ball goes. If you start the next hole without correcting it, it's a DQ. Rule 11-4

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

So I was playing on my golf league the other night and I watched a member from the oposing team hit wedge shots that spun back around eight to ten feet. At first I thought to myself "man this guy can really spin the ball, I wonder what me and my spin milled vokeys are doing wrong cause I dont come back that much" So after a third wedge shot spins back around seven feet I say to the guy "You sure get a lot of action on that ball, what kind of wedge is that?" He replies "Just an old knockoff, that spins to much some time" Just an old knockoff huh? Well turns out that old knock off is a Spin Doctor with the reverse groove insert. Now as far as I know that insert is completly illegal for competitive play. Needless to say this league is all for fun so I dont call him out on it being illegal but in my mind it is still cheating.

Cobra Fly-Z
TM Burner 3 & 5
Cobra Fly-Z Hybrid 23.5*
Mizuno MX 200 5-GW
Scratch 8620 56 60
Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.0

I used to play in a client's charity scholarship tournament to raise funds for worthy high school students that wanted to attend college. One foursome, that was ill regarded, used to almost always come in first with ridiculous scores of 53-55 ever year and take home some nice loot. After a few years, another group of 4 bandits decided to follow the action of the first group and they ended up tying with them with a score of 53 for each team.

Bad move!!!!

Most of the other groups where aware of the cheating but no one took the time to monitor the first group due to a business connection with my client and due to the bully nature of a bunch of boozing buttheads or wanted to confront them. The decision was made for a playoff of four holes to determine a winner and then a putting contest if needed.

After 4 holes the teams were still tied with PAR scores for each group for all 4 holes. Comments buzzed at the dinner and neither group showed up the next year. Interesting that the groups would each go 19 under but when the two groups entered the playoff all the other foursomes lined the course to watch them play!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've broken a few rules in my time, but never on a round submitted for handicap purposes. I lost a ball, but for the sake of time, I didn't go back to the previous spot. If I know the ball is OB or lost, I'll hit a provisional.......

I've seen other cheating however. I played with a guy that bumps the ball up in the rough every time. He carries a handicap as well.

[color=#1C2837][size=2]153.26.178.60[/size][/color]

Cobra King F6 (set on 9* penetrating)
Aeroburner Mini Driver 14*
Wilson Staff 19.5*
Nike Forged Pro Combo 4-PW
Maltby Wedges 50-54-58

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' post='1841104' date='Jul 24 2009, 01:37 PM'][quote name='StraightShooter' post='1840776' date='Jul 24 2009, 11:22 AM']I've only been playing a month and am very, very strict on myself to play by the rules. I just broke 100 recently (97) and it was rewarding because I know it was legit (I shot a 115 and 105 following that, so I'm streaky haha).

Is this just the nature of the game?[/quote]
StraightShooter, I've read some of your other posts here since you joined recently, It's apparent that you have been bitten by the golf bug and that's great. I also know from reading some of the posts you already have an admirable healthy respect for the game and those around it, that's great to see in a newcomer.

Congrats on breaking 100 so soon as well. As for the example of the guys you've been playing with, I'm sorry to say it will most likely get more aggravating, as you play by the rules and shoot solid honest scores and you watch them roll, nudge, kick, scott and everyting else all over the place. Then of course they will brag saying the beat you or almost beat you. It's enevitable, so just either let it roll off your back or you'll find new playing partners.

I'm in the Maryland Burbs and we have a group of guys who range from 5 to 21 in HC"s and all play by the rules and enjoy the competetion. Your already playing at most of our levels, if you ever want to join us , we'd be happy to have you. Shoot me a PM if interested.
[/quote]

Thank you for the kind words. That sounds very interesting -- I may take you up on that!

I know that some people are always going to do that -- and it's to each their own I guess. I just can't see how they justify telling people they break this score or that score. Do they think people don't notice?

Straightshooter: I think we've all played with "single digits" who couldn't break 90 without their mulligans, rolled balls, preferred lies, and whatever. My pet peeve are the guys who change balls to putt and then say "Everyone does it." My advice is if it bothers you, don't play with them again.... and never bet with them.

OK> I will post mine. This one is a LIFE LESSON on the funny side. Have a buddy who would always play the bump game, or a practice shot in between shots while we were supposed to be playing a $ 5 or 10 nassau. I decided to teach him a lesson....
So I sign us up to Play a 2 man skins game Scramble at Manteca GC, CA. Low Aggregate score for each set of 3 holes wins a skin against the field if you knock a putt in before your partner putts, it counts(total of 6 skins to earn.. BIIG money to be made). I talk my buddy who plays there all the time (but takes the occasional bump, or "let me try that one again" shot.) I coach him that this will be the "real deal" and he will have to play "real golf".
Who do we get paired with? 2 Navy recruiters, talk about playing with honor. So off we go.
Incident 1:
I got a new driver in play this round.. On the 2nd hole, we are waiting for fairway to clear, my buddy tees a ball up and grabs my driver. I ask "what the heck you doing?" Him> "I wanna hit your driver out in the field, that doesn't count!!" I have to rip the driver from his hands to keep from hitting the shot and incurring a penalty.
Incident 2:
On no less than 4 holes I had to tell him to mark his ball after his birdie putt, so I could putt my birdie putt (remember if he putts it in it counts for par). On 15th hole we are 3 under (birdie eagle on 13,14), We ARE in THE HUNT for a skin and have an easy 15 footer with only a slight break. His putt lips out of the hole, I reach down to quickly place my ball to jump on the good read I just got...
You guessed it, I here the ball hit the bottom of the CUP!! He quickly says "WHAT?!! that doesn't mean anything!" I take my putter, hit the putt one handed and as the ball drops in the hole, I say, " Yeah it does, it means that birdie I just made doesn't count!!"
I thought the Navy guys were gonna pi$$ their pants trying to stifle their laughter.
Of course... -4 would have won one of only 2 skins for the day, and it took him a while to get over it... but the bigger point is I taught my buddy a serious lesson about golf etiquette and the rules of golf HE HAS NEVER FORGOTTEN. NOW when we play... he plays REAL GOLF. LOL

[quote name='raidernut1234' post='1843267' date='Jul 26 2009, 02:11 AM']OK> I will post mine. This one is a LIFE LESSON on the funny side. Have a buddy who would always play the bump game, or a practice shot in between shots while we were supposed to be playing a $ 5 or 10 nassau. I decided to teach him a lesson....
So I sign us up to Play a 2 man skins game Scramble at Manteca GC, CA. Low Aggregate score for each set of 3 holes wins a skin against the field if you knock a putt in before your partner putts, it counts(total of 6 skins to earn.. BIIG money to be made). I talk my buddy who plays there all the time (but takes the occasional bump, or "let me try that one again" shot.) I coach him that this will be the "real deal" and he will have to play "real golf".
Who do we get paired with? 2 Navy recruiters, talk about playing with honor. So off we go.
Incident 1:
I got a new driver in play this round.. On the 2nd hole, we are waiting for fairway to clear, my buddy tees a ball up and grabs my driver. I ask "what the heck you doing?" Him> "I wanna hit your driver out in the field, that doesn't count!!" I have to rip the driver from his hands to keep from hitting the shot and incurring a penalty.
Incident 2:
On no less than 4 holes I had to tell him to mark his ball after his birdie putt, so I could putt my birdie putt (remember if he putts it in it counts for par). On 15th hole we are 3 under (birdie eagle on 13,14), We ARE in THE HUNT for a skin and have an easy 15 footer with only a slight break. His putt lips out of the hole, I reach down to quickly place my ball to jump on the good read I just got...
You guessed it, I here the ball hit the bottom of the CUP!! He quickly says "WHAT?!! that doesn't mean anything!" I take my putter, hit the putt one handed and as the ball drops in the hole, I say, " Yeah it does, it means that birdie I just made doesn't count!!"
I thought the Navy guys were gonna pi$$ their pants trying to stifle their laughter.
Of course... -4 would have won one of only 2 skins for the day, and it took him a while to get over it... but the bigger point is I taught my buddy a serious lesson about golf etiquette and the rules of golf HE HAS NEVER FORGOTTEN. NOW when we play... he plays REAL GOLF. LOL[/quote]

Sounds like a good lesson well taught, even if it did cost you a few $$$!

In a 4 man best ball tournament my buddy had for his church, they had a long drive contest on a par 4. The hole is about 385-395 and my group was on the green putting and when we heard the guys behind us teeing off we watched them. One ball was way back in the fairway with no chance of being long drive and one up in the rough probably 310-320 from the tee. We putt and turn around, and the guy is kicking the long drive from the rough to the fairway so that he can win long drive, which he didn't win anyways.

[size=2]It was summer 1964. I just wanted to get out and knock it around a bit at Royal St. Mark's in Kent. Well, it wasn't long before I found myself involved in a bit of a money game with an older fellow and on the 17th hole he hits an errant tee shot that we, along with our caddies, spend some time looking for. His caddy, a large Asian fellow, finds the ball in some shaggy rough nowhere near the area we were searching.

My caddy turns to me to say, "If that's his original ball, I'm Arnold Palmer."

I reply that indeed it's not his ball only to be questioned by my caddy. "How do you know?", he asks.

"I'm standing on it", I tell him.

On the putting green, retrieving his ball from the hole, I casually notice that he changed balls somewhere and that this indiscretion will result in a loss of the match. While I beat this chap this time around despite his efforts to cheat me, it wouldn't be the last time we'd meet. There were ups and downs along the way but a long story made short, I was able to avert his plot to manipulate the world's gold supply saving the global economy.

James

[/size]

[quote name='jbhmss' post='1847875' date='Jul 28 2009, 05:46 AM'][size=2]It was summer 1964. I just wanted to get out and knock it around a bit at Royal St. Mark's in Kent. Well, it wasn't long before I found myself involved in a bit of a money game with an older fellow and on the 17th hole he hits an errant tee shot that we, along with our caddies, spend some time looking for. His caddy, a large Asian fellow, finds the ball in some shaggy rough nowhere near the area we were searching.

I reply that indeed it's not his ball only to be questioned by my caddy. "How do you know?", he asks.

On the putting green, retrieving his ball from the hole, I casually notice that he changed balls somewhere and that this indiscretion will result in a loss of the match. While I beat this chap this time around despite his efforts to cheat me, it wouldn't be the last time we'd meet. There were ups and downs along the way but a long story made short, I was able to avert his plot to manipulate the world's gold supply saving the global economy.

James

[/size][/quote]

Do you mind if I use your story? I'm thinking of making a movie and could fit that in.

[quote name='tjy355' post='1847898' date='Jul 28 2009, 12:57 PM'][quote name='jbhmss' post='1847875' date='Jul 28 2009, 05:46 AM'][size=2]It was summer 1964. I just wanted to get out and knock it around a bit at Royal St. Mark's in Kent. Well, it wasn't long before I found myself involved in a bit of a money game with an older fellow and on the 17th hole he hits an errant tee shot that we, along with our caddies, spend some time looking for. His caddy, a large Asian fellow, finds the ball in some shaggy rough nowhere near the area we were searching.

James

[/size][/quote]

Do you mind if I use your story? I'm thinking of making a movie and could fit that in.
[/quote]

May I just request you find someone dashing and Scottish to play me?

Not the worst I've ever seen, but dissapointing just the same -

I just played with a couple friends this past weekend who live out of town, so I haven't played with them all year. One is right near my handicap so I was really looking forward to a good challenge.

He slices a drive that, thanks to the 20mph headwind, goes pretty far off course and into some pretty heavy fescue (thick and shin-high). I manage to find his ball and it's SURROUNDED by the grass. I mean nestled right in there like a robin's egg in a nest. I was about to tell him it looks almost unplayable as I walk away but I just let him do his thing. I proceed to catch him out of the corner of my eye as he pulls out a 3 wood. I thought he must be crazy. He won't even make contact with how buried that thing is. He starts tramping down the grass behind the ball and gives it a bump. Of course the ball sails right out 200 yards like he was barely in the rough. He pars the Par 5 while I bogey it straight up. That was dissapointing.

Later in the round I turn my head to see my other buddy, who's dropped down to a mid 90s score, take a gigantic foot wedge to get himself out from under a tree. All I could do was laugh and play my game.

Yeah, it's frustrating to be under trees or in some crazy thick rough, but that's part of the challenge that I love about the game. There's a creativity there that you just can't find in other sports. Why deprive yourself of it by fluffing lies and scooting balls??

TaylorMade SLDR 460 12*+1* stock stiff
Tour Exotics XCG 15*; Mizzuno 19* MP-650
Callaway X-20 Tour 4 - PW; PX 6.0 shafts
Titleist Vokey SM 52*, 56*, 60*
Odyssey Teron, 35" Super Stroke 3.0
https://www.gamegolf.com/player/KevinR22

The Opposite of cheating.

I have a lady friend that I have played golf with 2-3 times a week for about 5 years. Her husband doesn't play and my wife doesn't play. We have played in all types of tourneys and such. I give her two strokes on the 9 hardest holes on the course and 1 stroke on the 9 easiest. And we play for beers or wine. 5 beers equals a bottle of wine. I win some and lose some in that format but its fun. So a month or so ago we are on the 6th hole and I cant find my ball from my tee shot. It must have went under the fence but is no where to be found. So I drop and play new ball and finish the hole up. When we add it up she says well you lost a ball that is a stroke. I said no you don't take a penalty for a lost ball its the same as a drop. So 1 stroke penalty for the lost ball and I dropped hitting my third into the green. She couldn't believe it. I couldn't believe it either because we have played so much golf together and she has counting lost balls as a stroke penalty. She thinks her handicap has went down since. :)

[quote name='jbhmss' post='1847875' date='Jul 28 2009, 08:46 AM'][size=2]It was summer 1964. I just wanted to get out and knock it around a bit at Royal St. Mark's in Kent. Well, it wasn't long before I found myself involved in a bit of a money game with an older fellow and on the 17th hole he hits an errant tee shot that we, along with our caddies, spend some time looking for. His caddy, a large Asian fellow, finds the ball in some shaggy rough nowhere near the area we were searching.

James

[/size][/quote]

So you are standing on your opponets ball and not even nice enough to tell him O here it is.... Thats a great Delta Bravo moment there. :clapping: