2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Why would one buy a Rangefinder instead of a GPS

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GPS works if you are playing at popular courses which have been mapped. It IS a lot easier to just look at a GPS than to have to lase a pin, especially since the 6-7x magnification that comes standard with most rangefinders can make it hard to hit the pin at one go. Plus, the ability to get a yardage on blind approaches is nifty.

However, if you're playing on a beat- up muni, or outside of the States, getting a GPS is a crapshootl. You have no idea whether the course has been mapped, and, if so, by whom. Also, if there are changes made to the course, then you are SOL.

GPS is also really only as good as the information that has been marked up. For example, you could probably get a reading for distance to bunkers and hazards, but for days when you want to know the distance to, say a particular part of the bank of a parallel water hazard, or the lip of a bunker, the laser will beat the GPS anytime.

Distances to the centre of the green are good enough most of the time, but say you have a ridge on a green and you want to land either after or before, or you want to know distances to trees and stuff (I hit a lot of trees), then you need a rangefinder.

There is also a strange sense of security that comes from using a laser. Since you are holding it, and you understand that you press the button and the shooty light thing shoots out and bounces back, it's simple, dependable. With a GPS, you wonder exactly how many satellites you've got at the moment and whether the little men who live in the satellites have got theiur calculations right.

Finally, a rangefinder's magnification makes it great for checking out the hot babe on the green ahead, even if you're playing with the wife ;)

Thanks for the reply...I would say that the majority of the course I play are in the middle of the two. On the front range here in colorado we can get some decent elevation changes on some of the course but if it's a matter of more $$ then I think I'm falling on the side of "nice to have" and not "have to have".

General comment to the thread...I play with a guy that has both skycaddie and an 1500. they both come in handy during a round.

Ping G30 9.5*
Ping G25 4w, 3h
Mizuno MP 33 5i-PW
Mizuno MP T Series 53*, 58*
SC Studio Style Newport 2

if you want to find out how far off the tee you hit it, you can laser back to the tee if its still in view. otherwise just laser to the pin, if possible, and compute the difference from the total distance of the hole from the card addiing or subtracting yards based on pin position because hole length is based from tee to center of green.

I love those that compute distance :beruo: by taking your description literally. A 450yd dog leg right, calculating as you describe after flying over the dog leg with a leave of 120yds; subtract from card yardage of 450yds means I hit it 330yds... right? :clapping: Oh, no I really only hit it 260yds. Also, would measuring that way give a misleading answer if the fairway has many short yet deep undulations where yardage accumulates... stating the holes 430yds. Just a few thoughts :good: on the subject of measuring distance.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Anyone using the rangefinders with slope to show the distance compensation for elevation changes? I'm wondering if that feature is worth it or not.

The ones with the slope feature are in breach of the Rules of Golf.... keep that in mind. I use my V2 laser to give me the distance to objects. I still use my brain and my experience to modify the information and take the conditions into consideration.

I see a lot of guys say about their GPS, "its OK" I never hear "its AWESOME, or GREAT" I disagree w/the downloading, yearly fee, charging, ACCURACY is not good. Not +/- 3 yards, more like 7-10 yards, maybe more. I had a SC4 bought it just before the SC5 came out, and I asked for a deal on the 5, NO, asked for a credit on the 4, NO, I asked the customer care agent what I should do w/the 4, she said "sell it on EBay." Good customer service!

Laser easy to use, accurate, no downloading, no charging, and reliable. I heard from some about the battery usage, one 9 Volt will last a year or longer. Laser will also make the rounds go faster.

GPS slows things down. Too much stuff going on. Hit the ball!

Last, slope edition laser rangefinder, completely illegal! Can't input your round for handicapping if you use the slope edition, even if the slope is off.

Anyone using the rangefinders with slope to show the distance compensation for elevation changes? I'm wondering if that feature is worth it or not.

Personally, I know my carry yardages and can visually judge distances within reason. Having to determine elevation variable and which clubs fits that condition is part of the challenge of golf to me. I get a kick out that function because Bushnell offers it in their hunting products as well. I can almost get behind the bow hunter benefiting from it, but struggle envisioning the day when a SOG sniper doesn't have a spotter in favor of a telescope that tells him wind-age and drop-age over 1000 yards. :russian_roulette:

That functionality is another aspect of technology attempting to make life easier for the golfer. If you never play in tournaments and or don't feel you have time to develop that simple skill then that functionality would benefit you.

This is not meant to be personalized by anyone; but even though such technology intrigues, it's just another move towards making people less capable without outside intervention.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

Heres the deal. When standing in a fairway looking at a green you can get the exact yardage to the pin with a laser. A GPS will give you center of green yardage.

I will contend 99% of the golfers int his world are better off just knowing the center of green yardage rather than exact yardage. Then, if playing smart, they will chose a reasonable club to go to the center, adjusting for terrain, wind, etc.

Everyone is talking about getting accurate pin yardages. What about off the tee? Last week I played a course in the hills of Virginia that you cannot see the landing area from half of the tees. Its hard to find the start/carry distance to a bunker from the tee you can not see. My new Garmin was able to do it (yes I was lucky the have this course, their coverage is still spotty at best).

And for those accusing me of being a GPS homer, I use a Laser most of the time on approach shots. GPS off the tee, laser to the pin unless its centered. Of course, the more familiar I am with a course the less I laser and more I use the GPS. Standing at my cart I can save 30 seconds a round by reading my GPS rather than using my laser. But both save me 15 minutes a round looking for sprinkler heads...

I see a lot of these posts refer to Skycaddies as the basis for their "GPS is bad argument". I don't think I'd ever buy a skycaddie. Why pay an annual fee or not have an anypoint type feature that can give you yardage to a spot that's not in view from your current spot. Figuring out yardage to the green with nothing but a marker is pretty easy, but what about lay-ups, dog legs, an errant shot that needs to get back to position "A", a flat bunker, a tree area that is three trees deep (laser only can shot the first one) etc.?

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I see a lot of guys say about their GPS, "its OK" I never hear "its AWESOME, or GREAT" I disagree w/the downloading, yearly fee, charging, ACCURACY is not good. Not +/- 3 yards, more like 7-10 yards, maybe more. I had a SC4 bought it just before the SC5 came out, and I asked for a deal on the 5, NO, asked for a credit on the 4, NO, I asked the customer care agent what I should do w/the 4, she said "sell it on EBay." Good customer service!

Laser easy to use, accurate, no downloading, no charging, and reliable. I heard from some about the battery usage, one 9 Volt will last a year or longer. Laser will also make the rounds go faster.

GPS slows things down. Too much stuff going on. Hit the ball!

Last, slope edition laser rangefinder, completely illegal! Can't input your round for handicapping if you use the slope edition, even if the slope is off.

Again I say what about line of sight or alot of background disturbances??? I have both ; laser for 3 1/2 yrs and just picked up a UPRO and I can tell you that the laser isn't always spot on ........no pun intended......... I said eariler that most players just center green yardage and can go from there......hitting the green isn't something done regularily for most golfers :black eye:

I don't trust GPS. Too many things that can go wrong. I have used a GPS device, UPro, SC4 and 5, and found more often then not they are not accurate. I think moving the location of the pin, you can get pretty close. Overall I think they are too much work, and that is on the golf course let alone the work that needs to be done prior to the golf course.

Lasers, yes Swoosh, will pick up everything, overall easier to use, warranty, ready to go when you're ready to go, and speeds up play.

For the average guy using GPS, it will slow things down. "Can I carry that bunker," "how far to the water," etc, all that takes too much time, and if you are asking those types of questions, don't hit the shot b/c you're not going to clear the bunker.

I don't trust GPS. Too many things that can go wrong. I have used a GPS device, UPro, SC4 and 5, and found more often then not they are not accurate. I think moving the location of the pin, you can get pretty close. Overall I think they are too much work, and that is on the golf course let alone the work that needs to be done prior to the golf course.

Lasers, yes Swoosh, will pick up everything, overall easier to use, warranty, ready to go when you're ready to go, and speeds up play.

For the average guy using GPS, it will slow things down. "Can I carry that bunker," "how far to the water," etc, all that takes too much time, and if you are asking those types of questions, don't hit the shot b/c you're not going to clear the bunker.

Lotsa positives but I'm telling you; hit it in the junk or next fairway over and laser is another waste of space!!! having both AND knowing what to do with the info makes my golfing easier; slow play comes out of players NEVER being ready regardless of which unit they use........then comes the practice swing, swing, swing, swing..........plum-bobbing........... re-address the shot..........marking the 2 footer........... searching for balls longer than 5 mins...........the list goes on and on!!! not from using GPS!! :clapping:

I used the latest and greatest, and thought they were JUNK! I understand hitting in the trees or a fairway over, not really, but I have seen my buddies do that, and sure laser will be tough to use. GPS scrolling, looking for targets, looking at stuff you don't need to, etc. Now there is one w/a score card? Death march pace of play!

This is straight up, no lie, I hated that UPro. I can give a list of good golfers that used it for 2 maybe 3 holes, and shut it off and put it away.

I used the latest and greatest, and thought they were JUNK! I understand hitting in the trees or a fairway over, not really, but I have seen my buddies do that, and sure laser will be tough to use. GPS scrolling, looking for targets, looking at stuff you don't need to, etc. Now there is one w/a score card? Death march pace of play!

This is straight up, no lie, I hated that UPro. I can give a list of good golfers that used it for 2 maybe 3 holes, and shut it off and put it away.

Read post above.........not sure where you play or how long you have been playing but GPS or Lasers don't slow play up!!! neither one ,sorry!!! slow play is just that from my reasons and others above

cheers

They were probably playing with all the features, or needed to learn how to use it quickly. I noticed my first round with my Upro was VERY distracting because I was more into the Upro tech than actually playing. I knew I would be, and I've turned off a few features. But after the honeymoon was over it's back to business, and there's NOTHING better than having my Upro handy! It's Soooooooo AWESOME!!! wooohooo!!! :tongue: we might as well argue religion. This will never end.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

I use both for all the reason that have been stated. I could be happy with either one, but believe that by using both I can make a more accurate and informed decision. Most of the time I use one or the other, but occasionally do use both. I play quicker because of them. I have the yardage information I need within a couple of seconds. Then confidently choose my club. The only problem is that I feel that I play faster than most and have to wait more because of it.

I use both for all the reason that have been stated. I could be happy with either one, but believe that by using both I can make a more accurate and informed decision. Most of the time I use one or the other, but occasionally do use both. I play quicker because of them. I have the yardage information I need within a couple of seconds. Then confidently choose my club. The only problem is that I feel that I play faster than most and have to wait more because of it.

That's good and funny!!! I find myself also getting yaradges for the group to encourage faster play; now most that I play with have some sort of a device............call me the Godfather of tech gear.......or something like that :partytime2:

I like the laser for the following reasons:

1. I spend too much damn time on the computer as it is and don't have the time nor the patience to download all of the courses that I play or will play.

2. I don't use an iPhone, if I did, I would use the golf gps application, eventhough my laser is FASTER and to the pin.

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Not sure how you guys are saying laser is faster.

From a stop, I need to look down and in under half a second I have the GPS distance.

With my laser, I need to grab it off the side of the bag and sight in the pin. Sure its only 5 to 10 seconds, but its not under 1/2 a second.

And show, I wish you lived near me Id bet lunch:

1. From standing next to the bag to getting yardage, the GPS would beat the laser and

2. a GPS is 99% of the time +/- 1 yard from the 100/150/200 monuments, where you seem to think they are over 5 yards off.

You based your finding on a UPro, which was the worst GPS ever used on my course until we got them to unscrew the yardage mess ups they made. I probably played over 200 courses with my SG5 and I was never more than 2 yards off a certified monument distance.

It is a valid point some morons take forever with a GPS trying to find carries over hazards they shouldn't even think about, but how long would it take them to step it off then take the same amount of time?

Both speed up play. Im for anything to speed up play.

I use the Rangefinder that I use for hunting. It works for me. The only thing about this, is the Rangefinder is a bit bulky and you have to set it down on the cart or give to your partner to hold and after 18 holes it becomes a little bit monotonous and a time killer. The thing with GPS is most of the companies are requesting a monthly or yearly contract. I hate contracts. In the end you end up paying about $100 extra for a $250-300 piece of equipment. I can't really justify that, I'd rather look for a marker or tote my bulky Rangefinder.

Many GPS companies have no subscription fees.

Some offer 1000's of courses PRE-INSTALLED! (No computer needed)

Some let you map your own points--you can correct anything you want on your favorite courses

Some are just over $100

Please don't judge all GPS units by the SkyCaddie--which has earned itself a pretty bad reputation

The thing with GPS is most of the companies are requesting a monthly or yearly contract. I hate contracts. In the end you end up paying about $100 extra for a $250-300 piece of equipment. I can't really justify that,

Only Skycaddie, That I know of, charges annual fees. The Upro does charge a 1 time fee per course for the deluxe version of the pictures though. Standard is free.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys

I am in the market for one or the other. My dad has the Skycaddie 4. I think it is fairly accurate but the one thing that drives my crazy is how long it take to acquire the distance while the satellite is running the algorithm. I do like the front middle back feature and of course distance to bunkers and the such.

I though am leaning towards a range finder. For example yesterday I was playing a par 3, gps says 180 to center, it certainly looked like the pin was just back of center, so I played for about 183. Nut the club and get up the green and the pin was 3 yards short of center, I figured I hit it about 186, instead of a 10' put I had a 27' putt.

Now using a range finder the week before with a guy, we were next to each other so he gave me the yardage without asking. It was a left pin on a green that sits a bit diagonal so it was definitely longer then center, I came up with 125 yards to the pin on a course I was pretty familiar with. He said it was 135, I was a bit surprised but given a bunker short I went with the 135 yardage and grabbed a 9 instead of wedge, hit it solid right at it and was 6' for birdie. Had I gone with the wedge I was for likely in the bunker. With the bunker short I was relying on my eyes to judge the depth of the pin, even with a GPS I see that as a limitation.

I think the range finder works for my game, I can download the new Iphone gps software apps and get a view of the hole and yardages to bunkers and the such if I am unsure of the course I am playing.