2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Anyone else have a Love/Hate Relationship-Hybrids?

Metalhead

I really have tried all the favors of hybrids(I seem to have the same affliction with 3woods) and the hoeymoon is great- work the ball, hit straight and long, chippies around the green all is good... and then out of nowhere BAM.. it get low runners, rights and lefts it all goes to hell.... back to the 2 and 3 irons I go, with a bit more game management all is well again.. then the hybrid demons come back with another new favor and I'm the first in line... currently testing the J33 Airmuscles.. at least they look like irons, maybe they will make the cut??? stay tuned Josh

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hybrids never worked for me. They just felt like really heavy fairway woods with a shorter shaft. Very inconsistant results. I tried the Rescue Mid, Hogan, and some Dunlop one. Didn't care for any of them at all.

I use a Callaway War Bird 9 wood (24*) as a replacement for my 3 iron. Great off of any lie and I can hit down on it.

• 1 month later...

I have the 503.h and the rescue mid tp......sometimes i hit it good sometimes bad...always inconsistant. never know what im gonna get. I personally hit a blade 2 iron better than my hybrids...funny huh....i can fly my 2 iron 235......hybrids i can hit a ll further but never wuite sure where theyre gonna go.

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

i use my old 16* mid tp a lot..but i can't hit the damn new one worth a damn...i just threw a ping titec 7 wood in bag out of pure frustration and damn..i forgot how good a decent 7 is....it's like dropping a feather on a green from 225 out...tucked flags are no problem with it...BUT..you got to find a decent one...might just be a summer thing..but it's staying in the bag for now

I have had a difficult time switching to them, I have always used a 2iron. I have since owning a few have decided they are not the enemy. I like hitting my Heavenwood on occasion, I think my Rescue is ok, I am waiting to hit my Halo this week ( I hear great things about it) and I have never hit my 503H's well. So I guess I love my 2H, I am indifferent to my Rescue and I despise my 503H's. So I guess I have a love hate relationship with my hybrids.

Before getting a BB 4 wood I used my 2 Heavenwood as a 3 wood option when I didn't want to go with driver. I also carry a 7 wood, and dropped the 3 iron to accomodate the 4 wood. I like hybrids, always have, I think it's just a case of finding one you like the look of as there are quite a few different ones out there.

Cant stand them! I normally play a 2 iron, but for now Im in love with my v-steel. I just couldnt get used to the look. The Airmuscle I will use, but thats still just a 2 iron IMO.

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max TD 9° Project X Denali Blue 60

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 3w Ventus Red 7

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD 7w Ventus Red 7 

Srixon UX 4 23° Ventus Blue 8

Ping i230 5-U Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM9 54.10 (55°) and 60.08 Nippon Modus 105

Scotty Cameron 2024 Phantom 5.5

I have tried over and over to put a hybrid in the bag, however each time I end up wondering why a 22° hybrid is any better than my 7 wood.

The seven wood seems more versatile to me, so at the moment I've switched back to a seven wood.

Driver:  Ping G430 LST 10.5*

3 Wood: TM Stealth2 16.5*;  7 Wood: TM Stealth2 21*

Irons:  Titleist T200 5 -PW & Gap

SW:  Titleist SM9 56*

Putter:  TM Spyder Tour X

Another vote for the 7-wood. I had tried a few hybrids and I even reshafted my Rescue Mid a couple of times thinking that might be the problem but I just can't get used to the look of them. I put the 7-wood in the bag last week and now I have a very versatile club that looks decent and I don't hook the p!ss out of it.

A very versatile FW wood that can be hit out of heavy rough and works great when taking a divot are the old Cally Warbirds. If anyone wants a FW wood with the versatility of a hybrid give these a shot.

I got my steel shafted Warbird 9 wood in great shape for $30. Any long shot out of med/heavy rough this is the club I pull almost all the time.

I'm gonna have to take the other side of the fence on this one. I love my Rescue Mid #2. It's the retail Japanese market version with a NS950GH stiiff in it. It's my go-to club; I can do almost anything with it and its almost as long as my V-Steel 3-wood. It's been in my bag for a long while now and it's there to stay. Unless of course I like the new Rescue Dual.... :idhitit:

I love carrying a hybrid. I feel it gives confidence as a very versatile club. The difference between my 3 & 4 iron was hardly noticable so drop the 3 and play 20* hybrid and you can stll carry 3 wedges! A lot of people give reviews on not being comfortable with them or that they produce poor results.

If they don't fit your eye and your not confident with them then definately don't use one. On the other hand i've found that almost every hybrid is crap with a stock shaft. But when you reshaft with a quality good weight shaft around the 90g mark it transforms performance amazingly.

My advice from personal use would be if you want to use a hybrid go that bit extra and put a quality shaft in and you will see the difference.

I really have tried all the favors of hybrids(I seem to have the same affliction with 3woods) and the hoeymoon is great- work the ball, hit straight and long, chippies around the green all is good... and then out of nowhere BAM.. it get low runners, rights and lefts it all goes to hell.... back to the 2 and 3 irons I go, with a bit more game management all is well again.. then the hybrid demons come back with another new favor and I'm the first in line... currently testing the J33 Airmuscles.. at least they look like irons, maybe they will make the cut??? stay tuned Josh

12113[/snapback]

I don't know, these seem to be the best thing out in the last 10 years...any question I had about dropping the 'ol 1 & 2 irons went the way of the dodo when I hit a green from 240 out of the DEEP rough...never looked back...they're just too easy to hit

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Ventus Black TR 6x

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 340 mini 13.5* Speeder 757 x

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* LIN-Q M40X Blue

Wilson D9 4h KBS 80 

Callaway Apex 24 MB 6 to 11 iron, MMT 105 TX

Callaway Jaws 54/58/64 KBS 130

Edel EAS 1.0 custom

Wilson Staff Model Ball