For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

joey3108

Would really appreciate any help or information...

OK, here's my situation:

1. Existing setup

I play a links course with LOTS of wind (averaging 50mph for the past month).

Currently playing a Titleist 905s. I was playing this head in 8.5 degree with a Fuji Fit-On 11 Pro 95 in Stiff. Obviously not the most forgiving or easiest setup to hit well, but it DOES produce a boring trajectory.

I've recently switched to the same head but in 9.5 degree, with a Diamana Blueboard 83 in Stiff. This gives me a bit more carry, but probably a bit less overall distance, as I get little roll. It's still not too high of a trajectory, but I doubt (on this course) I'd want it in higher. I think I'm probably spinning it just a bit too much. But this setup is MUCH easier to hit, easier to control, and I don't worry about terrible misses.

2. What type of swinger are you?

Fairly smooth, but quite long swing (more than 90 degree shoulder turn, and perhaps a bit past parallel at the top).

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?

Playing off 8 right now, but have been playing better than that (haven't played in competitions since the autumn). I'd say my swing is pretty consistent (a 7 maybe)?

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?

I'm looking for a bit more distance, a bit more forgiveness, and basically want to try a newer 460cc head. I'm looking for shaft recommendations to go with a Wishon 919thi head.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before?

Only once, last summer, and I didn't get full specs. My swing speed with a 6 iron was about 85 mph. I hit a 7 iron about 165 to 170, and I carry my driver about 255 to 265.

I am playing TT Black Gold Stiffs in my irons, and I think this is the perfect iron shaft for me. Love it - very smooth, never feel like it's whippy, but never feel like a have to go after the ball to load it.

I am playing a Grafolloy Prolaunch Red in a 15 degree wishon hybrid, and while I do hit it very low, I think it's a great shaft (and I carry it about 215 to 220).

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle?

Nope. But I've been playing standard lie clubs for about 25 years, and I'm fairly confident they are correct for me. I'm playing my irons at what used to be standard length (37.75" 5 iron), but I suppose is 'short' by today's standards. My current driver is 45", but I think I'd like to try this new one at 44.5".

My father is going to build this driver for me and send it my way, and that's why I can't go on a launch monitor to pick a shaft. Reading reviews, I'm tempted by the new Aldila DVS and the new Grafalloy Platinum. I also like the Blueboard (but worry I might be spinning it slightly too much) and am interested in the Whiteboard. However, I'd prefer to spend more like $100 to $150 (can get a DVS on ebay in that range), rather than higher. I was also planning to have the head handpicked at 8.5* or 9*; Wishon says this head launches the ball high, and I never found the 8.5* Titleist to be a problem. But with this, as with all other plans here, I'd appreciate comments, criticisms, or suggestions.

Thanks!

answer: Sorry I can't answer without an LM data from the club you will buy or fix...and I never have any experiences with Wishon head to be able to answer.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello Joe,

I have found myself at a point in my golf career where I have become very consistent in my swing and need my clubs to meet the demands of my swing. This is obviously where you come in.

My current setup is a Callaway Hyper X Stock Stiff Shaft 9* loft. I have a smooth swing style with a lot of hip action in my downswing. I play to a 24 handicap which was rated last year but after a few rounds this year I have shot at a 18. My swing consistency is a 8, my problem lies in distance control and aim.

This was my average launch monitor with this club after about 40 hits:

Swing Speed: 105.2

Spin: 4211 RPM

Launch Angle: 14 Degrees

Avg Distance: 277 yds

The problem with this setup is that I feel like the shaft is too light. I have never had any problems with hooking the ball right, and I actually have a little fade. I bought this club from the launch monitor stats without seeing it outside. Once I hit it outside, the ball flight is way too high(ballooning) and some of my shots were going right. Now recently I tried out some fairway woods and I was finding I was leaving many balls right and when they went straight(tried Nike sumo sq2, Callaway Squareway, Burner TP, R7 TP, Titleist 906F2 and Ping G10), the ball also went very high. Then I tried the Titleist 906F2 with the UST Proforce V2 stiff 85g shaft and it completely straightened out my ball flight and kept it low. Also I was not hitting any kind of fade with it. I was killing shots with it, and that led me to believe I would need a heavier/stiffer shaft in my driver. I also would like to stick with the Hyper X but would you recommend I try a different club? I am looking for a penetrating low ball flight. I have been fitted for irons never fully for a driver. In the irons multiple fitters recommended 2* upright and +.25" stiff steel shafts standard everything else. Thanks for taking a look.

Answer: Check your attack angle to the ball with your local teaching pro or double check on the LM. Most likely you have a descending attack angle that create spins.

Hi Joe,

Need some help..I'm hitting my irons and woods great and I think most of that is due to the shafts. I play with Bridgestone J33 with DG S300 and I use the Orig Steelhead with Memphis 98 shafts.

My driver is the problem child and I think I need a new shaft

1) Currently I play Titleist 905R With the Proforce V2 Stiff

2) I'm a pretty smooth swinger

3) Handicap 5, very consisten swing

4) Problem with driver is a) An open clubface B) a pull

I figure I need a good shaft to help square the face (probably a more flexible shaft?)

5) Never been on a launch monitor but I will try to go to one if need be. I know my swing speed is in around 100-105. I hit the ball straight/slight fade at times. I have a high ball flight

5) I am trying to square up my driver without changing my swing. When I hit the driver well, my iron and woods suffer because I get more handsy with the clubs

I appreciate all your help!

answer: sorry i can't help without LM data!

Hi, any help/insight would be appreciated. I'm sad.

Issues with shaft weight, issues with hooking the ball.

While most of these issues will sort themselves out as I play this season and alter my path, it is difficult to get going every season and am tied of shooting my best round in August.

Driver - aldila (green) nv65-x on 8.5 580xd - 44" added 6 grams of lead (tried to make it heavier - still feels light - it can be a hook machine when stepped on.

Hogan edge pro - diamond rifle x, again -same problem with low irons (had to start them off the green last week). I will go over my Hogan notes again - but .

1. I like to hit the ball low and move it around a little bit.

2. I am a quick tempo, decent ball striker with a good short game.

3. My handicap is 10, swing is consistent 7 of 10 (4 of 10 when stepping on it)

4. The clubs feel different - I have removed my low irons and replaced with hybrids and fairway woods and now have to swing 3 different ways with 2 different grips in order to make it all work for now.

I really just want to swing the club with one grip and use a full or club down shots.

5. Have not been tested outdoors or with irons, but a good drive is in the 116-120 range, but stepping on it leads to big problems (hook) with woods and irons. I can choke down a hit low fade smoothies 105ss with driver or club down with decent consistency - but this is not my natural ball flight nor is it fun to play like that.

Spin rate/ball speed is fine/ launch angle a bit low. Really just want to take the big lefts out of the equation. IS THIS an issue that equipment could help?

I have been recomended equipment that did not work for me in the past - most of the stuff they have had has been standard x junk

My swing has slowed down and better x-shafts are now available, so I'm not off the charts anymore, so maybe this is the time to consider heavier shafts that will regulate my temptation to be quick at the bottom???

6. I am trying to hit the ball straight and regulate my swing better - would heavier equipment help?

Would I be better off with all new equipment or just replacing some shafts/adding more weight.

I will look at the lie angles of my irons this week.

Thank you - just looking for some feedback - did this 3 years ago and it really helped me (especially while reading Hogan's 5 secrets), but now think that the equipment could be upgraded. Not sure - just tired of making 7's and 8's on par 4's and getting birdie putts on the next hole. Thank again.

Answer: It sounded like you need a teaching pro more than a fitter IMO.

Hi Joe

What I am trying to accomplish it to help my son gain some distance. Right now he has a Nike Sasquatch 10.5 with a Graf Pro Launch Blue Reg shaft --playing to 43.5 inches. Was wondering if the newer Sasquatch 5000 moi with the Diamana Yellow Board would help him get some distance.. He is 5'2" tall and 95 lbs.--not a lot to work with yet, but he is a 10 handicap and has a great smooth swing. A pre-Christmas Launch monitor session showed he has the following specs: ( approx 15 shots)

Club Speed-- 80 - 85 mph

Ball Speed---118 - 122 mph

Vertical ------ 15 - 20 degrees

Spin --------2400-3200

Flight Time----5.26.2

Carry Distance 180-190 Yds

Total Distance 195-205 Yds

What do you think of the Graf vs the Yellow Board and is there anything out there which might add some distance to the above swing characteristics?

Thanks

Jim

answer: You might want to try a 9.5* loft IMO.

Callaway Rogue Driver with Evenflow Shaft
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
TMade P790 2 Driving Iron
Callaway Epic Pro Irons 4 - PW with Aerotech Shafts
Vokey SM6 -- 56 and 60 Degree
Custom Toulon

Hi Joe,

I've been lurking on the board for quite a while now, and finaly decided to make it official. I could really use your professional opinion on, #1: new Driver and shaft, and #2: Iron shafts....

#1 Driver

1. What is the club existing set up? ( Cobra 450sz Tour 8* retail, Penley ETA Tour XX-Stiff, not sure on swing weight, and currently plays at 46.5" )

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth )

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? ( no handicap for last 5 years; been as low as a 3; decided to get back into it seriously this year; hitting the ball better than ever; 8 on consistency )

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? ( I hit the ball very high, or so it seems. Not much in the way of roll )

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( I was lucky enough to be fitted at Titleist 2 years ago. SS with my setup at the time was 118 avg., launch angle around 12-13, ball speed 170-180, spin rate I believe was close to 3,000. I would say currently the specs would be very similar)

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? I'm trying to achieve a more boring trajectory and straighter more consistent ball flight.

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? ( +1/2", std. lie)

I'm currently looking at a couple different setups: The FT-i Tour 8.5* LCG with Matrix Ozxik X-stiff, FT-5 Tour: not sure what shaft, and The Cobra L4V X Speed. Not really a big fan of that stock shaft in the Cobra, and 9* is another drawback. I was thinking along the lines of a White Board, you think that would be ok with a 9*? Any thoughts on getting some tour issue stuff?

#2 Irons:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( Titleist 660 2-PW, Rifle Flighted 7.0, D5 swing weight "I think", and +1/2" std lie )

2. What type of swinger are you? (same)

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? (same)

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? Not much, hit the ball a bit high, just looking for something a little more foregiving and very intrested in project x shafts.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( not with an iron, but SS is in the high 90's, 97/98 avg. )

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?

Well I got a great deal on a new set of MP 60's with DGR300 and was going to have theme reshafted. I'm also looking at getting Callaway X forged or Cobra Pro CB but probably both. My biggest concern is what shaft to put in. The more and more I read about the project X shafts, the more and more I get confused. From what I understand, if I am currently playing a standard Rifle 7.0, I should go with a PX 6.5. Is this correct? What is the real advantage to going wit this shaft? Should I get 7.0 PX? Also after speaking with a Titleist rep, he said that nobody on tour is even using a 7.0 PX. Any thoughts?

Joe, if at all possible I would like to discuss a little more in depth via email, phone, etc. And if you'd be intrested in doing the work. Please let me know either way if this would be possible. Thanks, Ryan - [email protected]

answer: Email me your current complete LM data to [email protected] with the existing club and/or with a club your are trying to fix or buy.

Need some help getting set up with a driver. Keep in mind, I have not put a driver in my bag for 2+ years other than a round here and there. I have a hard time hitting a driver straight...I tend to hook a driver...the bigger the head and lower the loft, the more I hook the ball. Instead I have opted to play a TEE CB1 15* with a stiff V2 fairway shaft. This thing treated me very well. I could still turn it over, but was much more consistent with it.

However, recently I decided to go back to a driver but have not yet locked down the combo. The problem is that none of my local shops have a monitor that tracks spin rate. I had a fitting done several years ago with a stock 10.5 G2 stiff shaft and if I recall my spin rates were pretty high...2900-3200 if I recall correctly.

Today, in an effort to at least gather some numbers, I went in and hit a 9.5* Nike 5900 with the stock diamana stiff flex. Here were my averages from about 20 swings once I warmed up:

1. What is the club existing set up? 9.5 5900 stiff flex stock diamana...not sure of the swing weight, I believe the length was 45"

2. What type of swinger are you? (slow backswing, semi aggressive transition)

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? Cap of 16, swing is inconsistent, I would say 5 with 10 being the most consistent...

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? Want to maximize distance, but main concern is ending up in the fairway without having too high of a launch (playing in windy south dakota). Again I fight the hooks so want something hard to turn over.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before?yes,Nike 5900 listed above-- 104-106 ss, 10.8* launch, 161 ball speed, spin ????? (machine did not have this function), my average carry was 251, total with roll was 264.

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? see question #4

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle?--I was fitted for 1* upright in srixon i701 irons, but that is only time I was fitted

I am not stuck on any brand/head. Some of the heads I am considering are:

2007 burner TP

Nickent 4DX T-spec T stamp

Nike 5900 (if I can find one close to square or open)

TEE XCG

2008 Tour Burner TP (when they are released)

Please let me know if you have any head/shaft recommendations....even if they are outside of these heads.

answer: I need complete LM data!

Joe, thanks a lot for your time, i really appreciate it... i hav e been wanting either a whiteboard, assuming tha tyou think it would work well for me, or possibly an ozik but not sure which ones... but would really wnt the whiteboard or protopype, heard good things about those... thanks

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

a few, but currently is the 9.5* nike ignite tour issued head, with many shafts that have been in it, b ut now is a nv 75-x, which may be the lowest quality and crappy shaft ive ever hit in a driver

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )

medium tempo, def not slow though.

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?

hdcp is 3.5 but is dropping and ona a one to ten im about a 7 its weak right now.

not enough distance and possibly too stiff, which is why im not hitting it as far.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!!

yes...

ss average- 103.5

la-13 (i would like it to be about 12)

ball spin- 3200-3700

more distance bc im quite consistent off of the tee and somewhat straight, just need less spin and lower launch

yes im one up on my irons

8. etc.

answer:

Your distance lost is due to much spin from a descending blow attack angle.

Definitely to stiff shaft!

Hi Joe,

Is this thread still open? If it is I could use your help with a new driver head/shaft recommendation.

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc ) - Bridgestone J33r 460 9.5* / Accra T70 M4 / D2 I believe / 45.5 length

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger ) - tend to be quick at the tope, trying to make swing change to cure this but do load heavy on the downswing. Also tend to have a steep angle of attack which elevates my spin rates.

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? - Hcp is 10.6 currently; swing consistency is a 7-8

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? - overall happy with setup, but looking for a new toy!

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? Today ( 100-105 swing speed, 12-15* launch angle, 135-150 ball speed, 3600-4100 spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!!

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? - looking for more control and consistency

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Not sure, explain it to me Lie angle? - irons tend to be 2* upright

Thanks,

Chris

answer: To much spins due to attack angle. Check and fix this problem, you'll have an easier time to find a friendlier driver you are looking for.

I've answered all your questions by editing at the bottom of your post with bold lettering.

THX!

Joe

ps: FOR ALL YOU NEW POSTER, PLEASE BE AWARE THAT I CAN'T ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS IF YOU CAN'T FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTION CAREFULLY AND READ SOME OF THE PREVIOUS POST TO GET A BETTER UNDERSTANDING.PLEASE CHECK MY FIRST POST AND ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS.

1. Proforce V2 76g S in a 905R 10.5 (I don't remember what length they fitted me into.. its either STD or a 1/2 inch under)

2. Smooth tempo, but I still go after the ball

3. I'm playing at a 4-5 handicap now.. I'm usually playing around a 1-2 though. I have been playing all my life, so I have a consistent swing (recently school has kept me from being on the course as much as I normally am)

4. I love everything about my setup except for the torque. The torque is just so low that I have a hard time feeling what is going on at times. Launch/Spin/etc is all good...

5. I was fitted for this driver, but I don't like dealing with the numbers.. I told my pro and the Titleist guys what I was feeling and they told me how they felt about it based on the numbers.

6. As I said, I'm happy with just about everything about my setup. Its just that when I have a mis-hit, I can't really tell whats going on because of the feel with this shaft. So I'm essentially looking for the same shaft with a different torque (wouldn't mind looking at a lighter shaft as well, but I really don't have a problem with the 76g)

I bomb with this setup, I would just like a little more feel/feedback.

Thanks for the help

Brian

answer: Looks like you are looking for a specific feel, Try Rombax Z series or Diamana White board. Bare in mind, feel is subjective to every individual.

Joe thanks so much for all your advice. I am new to golfwrx and i have read a lot of the posts and it has been very informative great place to pick up on stuff. Liked your post on blue printing irons, good stuff. I need some help on a driver shaft or selection. If you have time?

Current set up:Ping G5 7.5 degree, speeder 757 stiff tipped 1 inch, 45 3/4" long, D3.

Swing type: Smooth,

HDCP: +3-Consistency level 8

lack of consistent distance. low launch angle. limited roll.

Swing speed Driver: 112 mph, unless i jump on it which i got it up to 118mph not a good thing though.

Launch angle: 9 to 10 degrees.

Ball speed: 173 mph @ 112 mph swing speed.

Spin rate: 3400 rpm and up.

Dynamic club fitting: 1 degree up. 1/2" over, shot shape draw everything. try to fade ends up pushing.

i sweep the ball and rarely take a divot with any irons but 8 iron down i will take a shallow divot.

Also tend to unhinge early with the driver.

Installed the speeder 757 X stiff. little harsh and hit towards the heel a lot. spin numbers were better launch was low carry not good.

hit the robax z in new G10, numbers were very close to my current set up no big gains.

I have a G5 9.5 degree head that i want to put a new shaft in. i am currently looking at the matrix ozik, not the tp7x have to save some money for the dog house. and the Diamanas.

I would like to get the launch angle up around 12 degrees without ballooning and my ball rpm down.

Did not have a chance to hit either one of the product lines i have limited resources, but like the specs on the matrix line. And have looked at some of the reviews in the forums in golfwrx.

any advise or help would be great.

Answer: Sounded you have a little steep angle of attack to the ball. Check your swing on a slow motion camera and as of a shaft, It sounded you need a shaft with a spec such as FUBUKI ( a little higher launch with lower spinrate tip design ). Try playing around with tee height and ball possition to find your better angle.

Hi Joe,

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc ) - Tour Exotics 9 degrees X-Quad stiff shaft 44"

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger ) - smooth backswing, quick transition with heavy load on the shaft; tendency to get steep

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? - Hcp is +1.2; consistgency is 8-9

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? - shaft is lagging behind making it tough to square the club, causing some blocks

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? 112 MPH, launch 12.2 degrees, 158 ball speed. Spin rate is high, often up to 3800 RPM.

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? - straighter shots.

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Not sure, explain it to me Lie angle? - No.

Best shaft I've ever used was the Evolution, but the Exotics head is in .350 tip. Evolution is .335. Not sure if I can put the Evolution in the .350 Exotics.

Thanks.

Answer: Again, your spinrate showing me that you have a steep angle of attack to the ball. Due to your heavy load to the shaft on the down swing, You'll need a stiffer tip shaft and heavier set up. You might want to watch out on the tipping at 44" set up. It might not be stiff enough IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks in advance Joe

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

A - 907 D2 10.5 Aldila VS 65 S 44.5' SW C9

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )Loading factor on your swing?

A - try to be smooth, quick tempo can take over on tough driving holes

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability?

A - 10, Driving accuracy is the weakness. Iron play would rate 7-8

A - high launch, prolly more to do with set up for driving then the club, but keep this on topic. Tend to come over the top a bit and pull hook or come from too far inside and dead push

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate,

Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT!

A - Yes, inside out swing path, draw the ball.

Carry - 227

Total - 238

Ball Speed - 134

Launch - 18

Back Spin - 3638

Side spin -887

Club Speed - 85

A - Proper Shaft/Loft combination

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? For RH players, What is your measurement Knuckle to floor on your LH...Vice Versa for LH players?

A - Yes, don't have specs, I am 5.9' and play to standard lenght, and lie last time i was fitted 5 yrs ago.

8. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good?

A - Over draw/hook or dead push, real bad is duck hook (ugly)

9. What is your shot tendency that you like when you are playing good?

A - Slight draw 5-10 yds. When i try to fade the ball, tendency to release the club too early, leave the face open and have a very weak fade.

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?

A - Greater Toronto Area, a mix of open fairways and target golf (driver is parked when playing target golf tracks)

11. Body build and postures?

A - 5.9' 195, sports junkie growing up so i try to maintain an athletic more upright posture, certainly not slouched over

Was fitted and suggested two shafts, (didn't have too many options) Accra Tour 70 S, Fujikura 757 Speeder Tour S too $$$ and the Fujikura E360 R (tipped S, I think)

Answer: Try a lower lofted club on the LM and give us the data again here. BTW I need swing speed/club head speed

Hello Joe,

I wonder if you can help.

Details are:

1. Looking for correct driver shaft.

2. Currnet set-up: Superquad 9.5 with re-ax stiff shaft.

3. swing tempo - medorate with a quick but not fast transition.

4. speed - 95 to 100. Handicap 13.

5. Tendency to tail off left to right (bad shot is a pull or slice).

6. Play on a windy links course and tend to find drives hang too much and "killed" by the wind.

7. Would like a more penetrating flight - for example i have a 21 degree hybrid with an Aldila green NV regular hybrid shaft (weight: 85g) which is good into the wind.

8. Was thinking about the new callaway ft-i tour LCG 9.5 with the ozik x-con 6 stiff shaft (but only based on descriptions of lower spin b ut maintaining launch angle).

Does this give enough info?

Regards

Scott

Answer: Sorry, I can't help with very minimal info! Read my first post!

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )---------- 8.5* degrees Harmon tour design (HTD) x flex 79 grams d3 45.5" inches 3.4 torque

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )Loading factor on your swing? --------- Fast tempo heavy loading factor

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability?------I am a +1.6 index striking ability a 9 out of ten

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?-----hit the ball high with quite a bit of spin.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT!-------SS-115, LA-16.8, ball speed 165,spin 4500, swing path a slight inside to out attack angle i'm more of a sweeper

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?-----lower ball flight and less spin

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? For RH players, What is your measurement Knuckle to floor on your LH...Vice Versa for LH players?-----i'm fitted for ping irons with a blue dot(3/4 inch upright) standard length.

8. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good?------hook i get quick.

9. What is your shot tendency that you like when you are playing good?-----mainly slight draw or straight medium ball flight with hardly any spin.

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?------Long narrow no roll courses. Florida.

11. Body build and postures?------5'9" 155 athletic body type with athletic posture.

12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?------Trevor Immelman with a hint of Davis Love III. I would say more on the lines with Trevor Immelman but a little longer and harder like Davis Love III

13. etc. The more the better it become.------The head is going to be on a J33R 460 driver head like it is now. I read Speeder 757 is really nice on this head. I was just wonderin a little of your input with the info I gave you.

Thanks, Matt

Answer: Try protopype, PM702, VTLT and try to at least play it at 45".

Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to help all of us.

Ping G10 9* V2 HL S, standard length/swing weight

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )Loading factor on your swing?

Although my swing is fairly smooth, I tend to be quick at the top in the transition

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability?

Handicap is 7.5, consistency is 6-7.

Need more consistency. Miss is either hook or high right. Solid shots carry well but have very little roll.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT!

SS 90-93 mph

LA 14-15*

BS 130-135 mph

Spin Rate 3000-3300

Get less dispersion. Reduce hooks. Max carry plus roll.

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? For RH players, What is your measurement Knuckle to floor on your LH...Vice Versa for LH players?

I am currently working with a professional fitter. He has not mentioned lie angle. I am 5' 8". Knuckle to floor is 30". Wrist to floor is 33.5".

First hook and then block right to overcompensate for hook.

Straight to slight draw.

Houston. Sometimes windy. Sometimes wet.

5'8" average build. 165 lbs. Tend to hold hands low at set up.

12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?

Best comparison is probably Justin Leonard.

13. etc. The more the better it become.

Although I study the swing and take lessons occasionally, I have always been somewhat of a feel or "hands" kind of player. Been playing an old Launcher 400CC with Stiff Fuji stock shaft for years. Pretty good feel and distance but a lot of dispersion. Tend to pull up and out of some shots. Working with a pro to keep left shoulder over the ball. When I stay down, I generally hit the ball very solid. Haven't noticed much difference in trajectory with new swing. Tried a Titleist D1 with YS-6 stiff shaft. Hit it very straight - almost couldn't make myself hit it left, but not much feel in this club/shaft. G10 9* with V2 HL was very straight for me, but shaft felt boardy and didn't have much kick. Tried G10 with stock shaft and PL Red, but could not hit either consistently. Tried 10.5* in all three shafts but balooned all of them.

Thanks again for all your help.

Jim

Answer: Try stiffer tip with higher kick point shaft and also check on your attack angle ( LM data is not complete).

Hi Joe, hope you can help me as i haven't a clue.

Currently using a 07 Burner TP 9.5* reax superfast 50gr stiff D4.5 standard length. Really like this driver. With me, i usually take a few range sessions and rounds to get used to a new driver but with this burner set up, it was point and shoot from the first swing.

Smooth 3/4 swing, not sure abt loading though.

HCP @ 13. Consistency at abt 6-8. Recent change to 3/4 swing has improved striking but would rate it ard 5-7

Driving is usually the strong part of my game but my balls seem to spin too much. quite common to find my ball 1-2 feet behind landing mark and usually within 5 feet of landing. When i try to go for it, misses are usually high right.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?)

Sorry, no launch monitor ard where i live but I think my SS is ard 95 -100. FWIW, 5 iron ard 85mph and 3 wood off deck ard 93.

Would like to get the ball to roll more with same consistency.

Had club fitted for irons @ 2* upright.

Usually a push. High right and when i try to correct it a fierce duck hook at times.

Straight, sometimes with a slight draw or fade.

Malaysia. Its hot and humid all year and soggy for abt 3-4 mths a year.

5'11", quite athletic and i think a single plane posture

12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?

I think Sergio Garcia but a bit further from the ball. would prefer a swing like VJ.

13. etc..

Been playing just over 10 yrs. Recently cut down on weight training to improve golf. Always hit the ball high too high i think. Changed swing last yr to bring flight down. Think best solution is to find right shaft but no access to a LM.

Hope this info. helps. Really appreciate any advice you may have. Thank you.

answer: Sorry ( Maafkan saya ) I can't help without a LM data! I can't tell if you need lower loft or just shaft changes.

Hi Joe, just had a quick question... I was using a nike t 60 3 wood with an aldila protopype shaft 85-x and i recently got a nickent 3dx pro 3 wood and put a pm902 x shaft in there( I switched 3 woods because I wanted a little higher ball flight because on par 5s the ball comes into the green too hot, and something that was easier to hit off the deck) Someone had told me that the 902 doesn't have a very stiff tip but I feel like it's really soft through the impact zone, like when I hit the ball the head is moving. I hit the new club on the range for about 45 minutes and it just feels weird. My question is will the soft tip make for inconsistent dispersion, or will it just get my ball up a little higher or what? I like the weight though, how do you think this shaft compares to like a blueboard 93? Or any other shafts you might suggest in the 90 gram range?

Hardswinger, 0 handicap, no lm session but I carry the nike about 265- 270, lie angle standard, when not swinging good I pull the ball, when swinging well I like to hit a fade, play in hot and hard conditions(las vegas), 6'0" 180 lbs, I try to swing like tiger and mark omeara, the Hank Haney way.

Answer: you might want to start by checking the specs first ( Lenght, SW, CPM Grip size, etc ).

-Quick Tempo swinger.

-Not too consistent of a swing.

-Close to 100 swing speed, 14 launch angle.

-Flatter Trajectory, straighter.

-Often fade my drives.

-Nice draw.

-New Jersey, Monmouth county public courses.

-Tall and long.

-Tiger Woods (haha)

I'm about to order the Titleist 907 D2. Out of the 4 stock shafts available for free,

(Aldila VS Proto 65, Titleist Diamana Blue 65, UST Proforce V2 75), which one will best suit my attributes listed above? Thank You!

Answer: Sorry I can't help with very minimum data!

KZG Gemini 10.5*, Aggressive Frenzy Series 6, R flex (tipped 3/4"), 45.75"

I tend to be on the quicker tempo side (Not by much)

17 handicap, 8 consistent.

This is a new club and I think it is to long (prior driver was 43") and don't feel I am as consistant with it.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT!

SS: 98 avg.

LA: 14.5

Ball speed: 134-138

SR: 3300 - 3400

Swing Path: ? (didn't think to ask)

Attack angle: ? (didn't think to ask)

I think it said 234 carry, not sure the roll.

Got the club dirt cheap and not likeing the length (Thinking about 44") and wondering if I can shorten the existing shaft or maybe you can suggest one.

No dynamic club fitting (accept online).

Wrist to floor is 32.5" (I'm assuming standing straight)

Low and left

Mid flight with about 5 - 10 yards roll.

Las Vegas, desert.

I'm 5'6", 148lbs

Like I said, this is a new club and haven't hit it much yet but did do the launch monitor. The "certified" launch monitor employee didn't give me a warm fuzzy when it came to suggestions.

Thanks,

Ken

ANSWER: I definitely need to fit you in person to really can see what happen..it's an extreme case with minimal infoIMO.

1. 9.5, Proforce V2 S, 75,titleist 905 R

2. Depends on shot at hand

3. Handicap is 4, 9 consistency and striking ability is great?

4. TO high and to much spin and not proper launch conditions

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT! SS= 115, spin rate ~3500 dont know the rest

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? I dont really know

7.No

8. Get stuck and lip hook or loss of posture and wipe to the right

9. What is your shot tendency that you like when you are playing good? Baby draw

10.FLorida golf

11. somewhat athletic and always working on key fundamental of posture which is solid

12. Blend of Tiger in being flat, stuck, and follow through, and adam scott posture. NO one on tour has my head movement to get my chest out of the way

ANSWER: You need a Stiffer shaft for sure but will need more info if you need to be more specific.

Nike SQ Sumo 5000, 10.5*, Aldila VS Proto (stock), 65g, stiff flex (measures 5.5), 44.75", unsure of swing weight.

Smoother tempo. Little more aggressive on the swing through.

Right around an 8-9 handicap. Consistent swing for the most part. Contact is generally a little high on the sweet spot (more towards where it should be I think). Misses are towards the toe side.

I hit the ball pretty high. It doesn't seem to balloon from what I can see, but I might be loosing potential distance. The added airtime might also be helping me with distance wise considering my slower swing speed...that's the party I can't decide.

Ball speed: 133 +/- 2 mph

Clubhead speed: 94 +/- 1 mph

Launch angle: 14* +/- 1.7*

Backspin: 3333 +/- 37 rpm

Sidespin: 533 rpm

Distance: 219 +/- 2 yd

Swing Path: -8* +/- 3*

Face angle: -3.8* +/- 2*

Max height: 30.6 yd"

Maximize distance with a good penetrating ball flight. Don't want to be hitting line drives, but maybe drop down the height just a tad.

Looks like 30.5" to my index finger knuckle (not sure how accurate that is).

High hard fades, shorter distance.

Consistency. The ball goes where I set a spot for it, and it doesn't even take much thinking. It's basically dead straight, not much shaping to it. Might die off a little to the right at the end.

Michigan courses. Tend to play a lot of slower greens, thick fairways. Tight situations occur fairly often.

6'0", only about 130 pounds (pretty small build). Id consider an average posture.

On iron shots, I do start out fairly inside but my divots are definitely coming across my body from the outside to inside a little. I don't pull, or slice...it's just more of the fade. I can't really compare my swing to anyone right off, but we'd all like to be like Tiger wouldn't we :russian_roulette:

I hit a nice consistent shot with this driver. I know exactly where it's going within a 20 yard range 80% of the time, unless I let it get away from me a little right sometimes. I can hit a draw if need be, but my typical swing right now is with that high fade.

I appreciate any information you can give. I could also use a little work on my game and know that it's not necessarily an equipment issue at all. I just thought it would be nice to get a recommendation either way if possible. Thanks Joe!

Answer: Higher kick point stiffer tip shaft. Might want to go with R flex tipped IMO. Definitely have a tendency of descending blow looking at the spin rate number.

Driver: Ping G30
3-Wood: Ping G30
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
Irons: Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal Pro
Wedges: Scratch 1018
Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5

Joe

I just went to get a driver fitting to see where my numbers are because I am looking to upgrade my driver. My current driver is an 9.5 R7 quad ( I think one of the first ones because all of the other ones I see are quite a bit larger) I have it set up neutral with the 12's in the middle back and the 2's on the heel and toe. The shaft is a 76g ProForce V2 in x-stiff at 44". I have been told it is the Tour Model of this shaft but I am not sure if that is true or if there even is a Tour Model. I hit it pretty good but my misses are over the top pulls, usually about 20 yards left of my target with the occasional pull draw, but no real hooks sometimes a 6-7 yard fade. I am a smooth swinger but I sometimes rush from the top thus the pulls. I would love to hit a baby draw. I also hit a Callaway 9.5 Hyper X with a Ozik Matrix Stiff ( it was the heavy version but I don't remember the weight) Anyway here are the numbers from a Zelocity doppler LM with a E6 ball.

5'10" Athletic 210

HDCP -7.8

R7 Quad ( my driver) Calloway 9.5 Hyper X

Avg Club Speed 103 high 106 106

Avg Ball Velocity 150 high 156 151

Launch Angle 12.3 high 15.7 15.2

Ball Spin 3,162 low 2,951 3,072

Carry 240 high 247 250 He said he didn't think these were accurate

Side spin 380 right Side spin 550 right

Descent angle 30 - 35 degrees

Attack Angle 1.3 up

I think that I am on the low end of needing an X shaft but they have always been more accurate for me, this is my third one the others were in a 975 J and a 983 K. It looks to me like I need to get the spin down and would like to get some opinions for either a 905 or a D2.

I would love any advice. Thanks!

Answer: I would try a lower lofted club with a mid-midhigh kick point with S flex tipped to become S/X flex.

Hi Joe-

Posting here in the event that you'd rather see it here than via e-mail.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

JD

Ping Rapture, 9*, Aldila VS Proto (stock), 65g, stiff flex, unsure of swing weight or length, but no modifications were made to it.

Smoother tempo. Little more aggressive on the swing through.

10 handicap. Consistent swing for the most part. When i miss, it's out at the toe. i should be lower, but i only play 1-2x per month and it's the chipping and pitching that drive my scores up...not the tee shots

Nothing wrong with current club, but looking to purchase a FT-5 tour head in either 9.5* or 10.5*.....went to launch moniter and they had me try both lofts with a Aldila VS Proto By You 60, Ozik Matrix, Pershing, and e360 shaft. Launch monitor data attached. Handwriting on attached is from sales guy.

see attached. Launch monitor data attached. Handwriting on attached is from sales guy.

Maximize distance with a good penetrating ball flight.

i'm 1 degree upright on my irons....

Low, snapping hooks that go 210-220 yds instead of 280 down the pipe.

Dead straight or a real slight draw 1

0. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?

My home course is Torrey Pines. I like to bomb & gouge, but i play a lot of country club courses that are 6600 yds with little rough or trees.

6'1", 185 lbs, good shape

12. etc. I'm looking for a driver shaft to complement this FT-5 Tour head. i've got a textbook swing and my weakness is definitely aruond the greens (short game). my goal is to add an additional 20 yards to my drives without losing the consistency. i would love to average 280-300 instead of 260-280.

Answer: Check with 11* non tour head with stiffer tip higher kick point shaft and make sure you check also on your attack angle not on a descending blow.

Here's my info, thanks for offering your advice:

R7 425, 10.5 loft, Regular flex stock "fujikara" shaft, 65, no modifications

Smooth tempo swinger

Don't have official handicap but shoot in the 90's, consistency I would guess is a 5 out of 10 with the driver. Driving is the least consistent aspect of my game, fairly solid with short to mid irons

The problem w/ the existing set up is alot of loft on drives/ballooning resulting in lost distance, also I don't like my current shaft as it feels a little whippy and I feel like I must consciously "guide" it on the downswing for square contact

Here are my averages from 13 swings:

Club speed 92.7

Ball Velocity 118.7

Launch Angle 18.3

Ball Spin 4,088

Carry 191.3

Total 206.4

PTR 128.3

I'm trying to achieve in my set up a shaft that doesn't feel so whippy so that I feel I can swing freer and naturally and maybe gain a little better control as a result, and one that has the optimum launch angle so that I don't lose distance. I'm less interested in adding xx distance, and more interested in better consistency and feel/control of the club for my swing, which I think will naturally provide better distance.

Also, I am not looking to spend alot on a shaft, wondering if there is a shaft around $100 or less that would be appropriate for me.

My irons are two Degree upright but not sure how reliable that fitting was, I would say its anywhere from neutral to slightly upright. My measurement from knuckle to floor is 33 3/8 inches.

My misses are low hook left or straight high right OOB, when playing well I hit a slight draw

I'm playing Mid-atlantic courses (Washington DC)

I have a slim athletic build, 5'9" 150lbs

No idea who my swing looks like. As far as what I'd like it to be, I'm similar size/build to Sergio, so maybe him

I got my swing numbers at Golf Galaxy and they suggested a stiff Alida NV 65 or Fijikara E360. Apparently they thought I was right on the border of regular flex or stiff flex. I went into this thinking I need a stiff flex since I want a club that doesn't feel like I have to guide it down. Of course I'd be interested to hear what you have to say.

For what its worth, I was surprised at the carry and total distance measurements from my launch monitor session, as my handheld GPS tells me I consistently hit well struck drives in the 230s, and at the driving range I see my ball carry and land past the 200yd markers no problem. I don't always hit 230s as I don't always hit well struck drives, but I view this as a starting point for my distance potential assuming I can get more consistent (wondering if the right shaft can help me with this). Along the same lines, my ball spin and launch angle are pretty high, and I think some swing changes are in order, but I'm wondering if a different shaft or even loft may be needed.

This is an area I know very little about so if I haven't provided you with enough info please let me know. Thanks again for your help.

Answer: Please go back on a LM and hit lower lofted club and try to find one that closer to 14* LA and check with a few shafts options and give us your number again.

Hi Joe. I'm a newbie on golfwrx that is looking for a little help. I went to a Ping Demo day and got a quick fitting via a launch monitor, but the recommendations for a shaft from the Ping guys weren't to clear. I am hoping you can pont me in the right direction.

1. What is the club existing set up?

- Ping G10 9* Draw is the recommended head. They recommended a S flex 75g Graf Red

2. What type of swinger are you?

- Fast tempo, overswinger with a way too long backswing that I can't cut down on due to a mental block (I am trying really bad to correct this)

- I am a 15 right now. I have add 5 strokes to my game since this rediculous backswing has occured. Long story short, my swing is inconsistent.

- I play a Callaway 454 9* with a Graf Blue X 65g. I am looking for more consistency.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before?

- With the G10 my SS is 110, launch angle: 14-15, ball speed:165mph, spin rate 2500

- I have no problem with distance, I am looking to hit fairways

- No

- This can vary. Mostly thin cuts when i miss or a crazy slice.

- Fade

- From NY I play Bethpage courses mostly.

- 5'10" 195 muscular build

- John Daly... I am a mess right now

13. etc.

- I am looking for a shaft with a high kick and low torque from what I have been told. The Ping people told me to look a an S flex, but I am nervous about that since my SS is 110mph. I am willing to sacrifice distance for control, so any weight is fine that you recommend. Also, I would be interested in what length you would recommend. I play a 45" driver now, but being that the G10 comes in a 45 3/4, I would be interested in your opinion. Thanks for your help.

Answer: Stick by with 45" ( maybe even shorter for better control ) to make sure your tempo and timing is not screw up by having it to long. Maybe PING rep suggest to go with S due to your inconsistency on your swing profile. You can try S tipped to become S/X flex with heavier static weight set up for better control with higher kick point shaft and stiff tip.