For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

joey3108

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Need help! My 3 wood is longer or just as long as my driver

SS: 100

Spin Rate: 3100-2800

Launch: 12-14 degrees

Ball speed: 140-145

Total distance : 250-270

Here are my numbers with my 3 wood

SS-99

Spin Rate- 2800

Launch 12-14

Ball speed-140-145

Total distance 250-266

I haven't been using my driver for the past year or so but recently put it back into play..but for no good reason.

I need suggestions..do I need a higher lofted driver to increase the launch angle? Or change the shaft? Spin seems pretty high.

I have a consistent swing 8/10

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

Titleist 905R Grafalloy Plat Stiff, 44 inch, D4

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )

Smooth tempo (I don't try to kill it) I swing at 80%

5'10" 180 Athletic

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?

5 handicap, 8/10 consistency

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?

zero roll; lose ball right (3 wood is longer and straighter than driver)

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!!

Ball speed: 140-145

Backspin: 3100-2800

Launch Angle: 12-14

Distance: 240-270

SS: 100

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?

Lower backspin

More distance (at least 15 yds past 3 wood)

Improve ball speed (center contact)

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle?

NO

Answer: Looks to me that you need a teaching pro to look after your swing to not have a descending blow at impact!

Hey Joey! here is my info.. any suggestions?

thx :rolleyes:

1. Superquad 9.5, stock Reax stiff, 44.5

2. Quick tempo

3. 10 handi, strike the center of driver 8 out of 10 times, skill, i can work the ball with my driver draw or fade, i play a draw

4. I think i launch the ball too high!

5. Club speed, Ball Velocity, launch Angle, Ball Spin, total, PTR, Deviation (Swing path is inside out)

101.9- 146.0- 14.0- 2708- 261.8- 143.3- 3.7

97.6- 144.1- 13.7- 2886- 257.1- 147.6- 4.9

99.3- 141.2- 14.7- 2880- 253.9- 142.2- 4.6

98.5- 146.7- 15.4- 2867- 266.7- 149.0- 4.0

Average-98.7-144.5-14.6-2841-259.4-146.4

6. achieve lower ball flight and/or greater distance

7. no dynamic fitting

8. shot tendency on misses is a pull hook

9. shot tendency on good shots slight draw

10. PA play in all seasons

11. meduim body type, 5'10,

12. not sure on this one, but i know i'm a one plane swinger

hope this is enough.

Answer: Higher kick point shaft should do the job IMO.

Hi, I'm a newbie here, please forgive the length of the post - you did ask for us to be thorough! :man_in_love:

I'm a relatively new golfer, having just picked up the game in December of last year. I have been working with a pro about 3x a week since then, and I'm looking for some help with my driver.

I've cycled through several drivers/shaft setups that various shops in the area, based on LM numbers, thought would work well for me, with varying success - a couple months ago I tried out the Ping G10 9* with a stiff flex on a monitor, and have been using it ever since.

I've always felt that the driver was quite light, and never really had the feeling of the weight of the clubhead coming around and through the ball - so to a certain extent, the moment of impact was an "expected" surprise. Which of course lends itself to inconsistencies.

I recently bought a Medicus Powermeter, which I think weighs 6.4 oz, and attached it to the club just below the grip. From the very first swing I took, I could feel the clubhead accelerating and coming through the ball. I have not yet hit this combination on a LM, but at the range, where normally the dead range balls would carry 230, I find they are carrying an extra 10-20 yards - and everything just feels more solid.

The PGA pro I work with on a regular basis thinks that the added weight and positioning of it, has changed the flex point of the driver, in such a way that I should look for a shaft with a higher kick-point.

Can you help me?

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

Ping G10 9* stock TFC129D Stiff (unsure of swing weight) 45 3/4"

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )Loading factor on your swing?

Smooth (don't know load factor)

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability?

8 hcp, 7.5 consistency, regularly strike towards the middle of the clubface - mishits tend towards the heel.

See above. Basically, no feel for the head weight, leading to inconsistent results. Mostly fades. When I'm dead-on, it goes dead-straight, with maybe a 2-3 yard fade.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) Yes. 106-112 mph SS, 8-11* LA, 145-155 mph ball speed, 2700-3500 spin, Carry Distance 260-288 yd. don't know any other variables

I'd like to mimic the feel of the club when the weight is attached just below the grip - then I can feel the clubhead through the entire swing arc.

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? For RH players, What is your measurement Knuckle to

floor on your LH...Vice Versa for LH players?

No

8. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good?

Slice or large fade

9. What is your shot tendency that you like when you are playing good?

Dead-straight or 2-3 yard fade.

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?

central Florida - Tampa/Clearwater. Mostly municipal courses like Chi Chi's, also private club Crescent Oaks.

11. Body build and postures?

6' 185 lbs athletic, tall posture

12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?

Have a very upright swing plane (judging from video of myself) - Stuart Appleby?

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide!

Cheers!

Jeffrey

p.s. I posted a slow-mo vid of my driver swing when it's "on" on youtube, if that would help - with the Ping driver referenced above (this was from before the powermeter)

I'd welcome any comments.

Answer: Higher loft with stiff tip high kick point shaft and might want to even go slightly heavier shaft for control, Check your spine position at impact to make sure your on the spot for better attack angle to the ball.

Titleist 905R 8.5 Blueboard 83gram 4gt model stiff flex, D4, 44.75 inches

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )Loading factor on your swing?

Smooth to quicker tempo when going after it

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability?

My USGA handicap is 2

My swing consistency is 8/10 will be the same

I am wanting a little higher launch with lower spin and deflection

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT!

Alll done with existing club

SS=112-115

Launch Angle= 11.5-13.5

Ball Speed=167-173mph

spin rate=3200-3500rpm

get spin rate under 3000 rpm, get deflection/dispersion tighter, a little higher consistent trajectory

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? For RH players, What is your measurement Knuckle to floor on your LH...Vice Versa for LH players?

Missed drivers are high right with a little fade

Straight to 5 yards of draw

More courses than not are relatively moist with little roll, Reside in Grand Rapids, MI

6' 175lbs athletic build

12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?

Similar to tigers very smooth take away but very aggressive down and thru the ball

Please let me know what your opinions and options are I am open for options

Bill Alexander

[email protected]

Answer: Definitely need X flex with 4" tip diamana shaft. LA is not a problem, the problem is your attack angle is to steep. I bet you that your low launch comes from delofting at impact possition.

Cobra L4VF 10 degree, Graphite design YS-6 Stiff Flex, D3 Weight, 44.75

The shaft was a one time pull i got from a pro that he pulled from his Sumo 5000 that he ordered from the factory.

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )Loading factor on your swing? Smooth back, hard coming down

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability? 12 Handicap, about a 7 on consistency and striking ability(been playing a year and a couple of months, Practice 6 days a week often 7)

I miss it left, and when i hit it on the screws it goes too high.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?)

98-100 Swing speed

15-16 Launch angle

145-150 Ball speed

3000+ RPM

about a Degree inside on my swing path.

Shaft feels whippy, would like a more stable, lower launching shaft.

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? For RH players, What is your measurement Knuckle to floor on your LH...Vice Versa for LH players?

No. Measurement in 34.75

Left

Straight to slight draw

Bonaventure Country Club down in Weston, Florida. It's usually wet.

Athletic, 5'10

I dont know. I mean, It's really well formed swing I work with my pro once a week and, like i said i practice almost every day. my Driver will go sometimes slighty past parallel, and I have a slight OTT problem, I work on all the time. I know that coming over the top can make the ball go high but, I hit the ball without coming over the top(this is while my pro watches me) and it still goes high.

13. etc. The more the better it become.

Answer: Higher kick point shaft with maybe slight tipping due to your aggressive down swing load factor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Joe:

I have a great driver that I hit straight but it gets too high.

I have a 10.5 degree head and the driver only has that loft available.

I have 110 mph swing and hit it about 275, really high.

I have a UST Proforce shaft X Stiff and 67 grams

Can I use a better shaft, one with more wieght I guess, what can I do to get the ball down.

Answer: Read my first post and check out some real good detail complete post for me to help you!

• 2 weeks later...

I need some help picking a shaft. Here are my particulars. I'm currently playing a TaylorMade r7 Draw driver. I bought it to try to cure my wicked slices off of the drive. I can hit it pretty straight (rarely with a draw though) if I swing easy. Yesterday while playing with my brother, who is about my size and maybe swings a little harder than I do, he commented that I probably need a stiffer shaft. Generally speaking, I don't swing that hard and I don't hit the ball a ton. But, I have noticed whenever I swing the club aggressively, no matter how good a swing I feel I put on it, the ball tends to either fade or slice. The harder I swing, the bigger the slice. I thnk the club head may be lagging. Consequently, I feel I am losing distance on my drives because I cannot swing my driver as aggressively as I swing my other clubs. And, when I do swing aggressively, I'm losing distance because of all the distance the slice takes off.

Here are my details:

• Existing club- TaylorMade r7 Draw driver with RE*AX 55 Shaft. Soft Tip- Stiff Flex 9º loft
  • I have a pretty smooth swing. Slow to average take away speed.
  • My swing is not hugely consistent as I only play a few times a year (anywhere from 5-15 times). But, I've been playing a lot lately and right now my swing is pretty consistent. That's why I've been able to notice that no matter how I swing this thing, if I put a little more oomph into it, I get the fade/slice going.
  • I have not had a launch monitor session and given that I play so little and usually buy clubs that are a year old, I don't want to put a ton of money into getting one, unless it's going to save me money from continuing to buy more drivers :rolleyes:
  • I'm 6'2" weigh about 195. I'm fairly lean. Athletic build.
  • I tend to launch the ball the ball high which is why I bought a lower lofted driver. However, since our fairways don't really run all that well on the public courses I play on, that may have been a mistake. I still get the ball up in the air pretty well. Will a stiffer shaft make the ball come off higher or low
  • PGA tour player I'd like to emulate would be Vijay Singh. We have a similar build and my swing is pretty long and smooth.
  • Generally, I hit my drives (assuming I hit it pretty well) about 250-260. As I said, we don't get a lot of roll. I can probably consistently carry the ball 220-240.
  • I don't play enough to have a handicap. But, I can probably shoot in the mid to upper 80s.

I've been messing around with trying to close the club face more at address, moving my left foot forward and even turning my wrists over. But, while I can catch it pretty well every once in a while (particularly with the rolling of the wrist thing), more often I hit a big old hook into the trees on the left. I'd like to be able to hit it straight without trying any tricks.

What I'm trying to accomplish is possibly getting some more length. But, more importantly, I want to get rid of the slice.

Any suggestions?

Answer: Read my first post and check out some real good detail complete post for me to help you! I really need LM data, no choice on this one!

Hey Joey, thanks for all you do here on the forum! Now I'm looking to take advantage of your services! Here are my stats....

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc ) Callaway FT-5, 9*, Fujikura FitOn 150, stiff flex

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )Loading factor on your swing? Quick Tempo swing that is typically a little past parallel at the top

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability? Handicap 8, 7 out of 10 striking ability

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? Current setup leaves me without any consistency, half hooks, half fades and I hit the ball VERY high, higher than I would like but still end up with about 280 yards consistently.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) Yes, Brand was Zelocity I think at Golf Galaxy. Here are the stats using 3 different shafts:

Existing Shaft (Fujikura FitOn 150) Stats:

Club Speed Avg: 107.2

Ball Velocity: 155.7

Launch Angle: 16.5

Ball Spin: 3,259

Carry: 252.6

Total: 285.5

Smash: 145.4

Deviation: Right 9 yards

UST V2 Stats:

Speed: 107

Ball Velocity: 156.7

Launch: 16

Spin: 3,128

Carry: 260.9

Total: 283.6

Smash: 146.5

Deviation: Right 8 yards

Diamana Blueboard:

Speed: 108.4

Ball Velocity: 153

Launch Angle: 15.4

Spin: 3,127

Carry: 253.2

Total: 275.1

Smash: 141.2

Deviation: 8 yards

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? Would like more consistency, lower ball flight, straight or slight draw flight

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? For RH players, What is your measurement Knuckle to floor on your LH...Vice Versa for LH players? No dynamic club fitting.

8. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? When not playing well I will have either a pull hook or a strong fade

9. What is your shot tendency that you like when you are playing good? Pretty much straight with a slight fade.

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Not sure what you mean by condition, but I'm from Tennessee.

11. Body build and postures? I'm about 5'8" and 220 pounds

12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? Daly but not quite as far past parallel. I have a very flat take-away (comes from playing baseball up through college).

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Answer: It looks to me you need a lower lofted driver and might want to try a little heavier shaft set up or at least a little heavier swing weight set up with 44.5-44.75" set up ( might even a little shorter for better control ). Flex wise I would go at least in between flex S/X due to your quick tempo and shorter set up later.

Joe,

If you're anything like me, only a very select few can call you "joey", so I won't even go there! :russian_roulette:

I got to swing my driver on a Vector (indoors) today. Will be able to use a Trackman on Friday, so if you need that info, I can add it Friday.

1. What is the club existing set up?

Ping G10 10.5-deg, TFC Stiff shaft, D3 SW, Std. length (45.75"?)

Normally a smooth swinger (go at it about 80-90%. But when I try to "attack", I get quick.

GHIN = 10.1 Only get to play once /week or 2. Swing is pretty consistant. Strike ball 90% of time on top-middle of face.

Very low launch is main problem. Occasional fade/push fade when attacking the ball all out.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?)

Vector LM: SS = 101mph, launch ang = 7-10-deg., BS = 148mph, Spin = 2600.

Normal path = in-to-out 2 degs. Quick swing path = out-to-in 3 degs (over the top!). Attack angle = +2 deg

Higher launch!! It was suggested I could go 10-deg loft with a regular flex or 11-deg with a stiff flex. Also want a tighter dispersion (and I wonder if reg. flex can achieve that).

Only fitting was for Ping irons (have white dot i5s. I'm 6'2" and knuckle-to-floor is 37".

Usually fade or push-fade way to the right (not OB, but 30 yds. from target). Avg distance = 256 yds.

Straight drive or slight draw. Avg. distance = 274 yds.

Conditions on the plush side. Play in Indiana at a country club, so there is not much roll after landing.

Tall and slender. Posture? Uh...try to get to one-plane swing if possible.

Most like Payne Stewart (my idol growing up).

That's about it for now. Like I said before, if you want me to get more specifics, I am have an analysis on Trackman on Friday. Will also be trying a Ping G10 10.5 with a Stiff V2HL shaft side-by-side with mine.

I appreciate any help. Also, what kind of turn around do you have for reshafting?

Thanks, Joe!

Joe Loukota

Answer: Not to many of us should play lenght more than 45" IMO, unless we have a silky smooth swing and can't generate enough SS to compress the ball. In your case I would try more lofted driver with shorter normal set up. I can almost bet ya that you'll have a better consistency hitting the FW and you'll have an easier time to put out a correct swing path and angle of attack with shorter set up. Email me direct for work related questions

Joe

Great service!! Thanks for providing this for us!! Was trying to get some direction on my growing son's next iron shafts...Too late in the season to switch..

Hits TT GS 75 shafts in regular flex in a Taylormade R7 TP heads -- he would like to try a forged blade next..That's still open for debate Standard loft and lie but length is 1/2 less than normal.

Very smooth swinger --yeah baby!

Handicap is 5.9 --swing is very consistent. Should probably mention he is 15 years old, 5' 4" and all of 95 pounds soaking wet!! I can almost remember the day when I was that small...

Starting to balloon irons a little...some slight draws..little 'whippy' as he puts it.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT! Had a LM session but not with the clubs he has now

Looking for little more stiffness, control (did I mention he wants to play a blade to learn how to work the ball) and maximize his distance and 'feel' in the shot.

Slight fade, blocks it out a little or push--I think it's more of not releasing properly

Slight draw--he has an inside out swing type path

Play all types of courses--reside in the northeast, lots of tree lined fairways to tight smaller greens

Good posture, he has just started doing some running, conditioning, little strength training, no major weights just yet. Not too much fat on these bones--if only the same were true for his father...

They all want to be Tiger, who wouldn't want to be--but since that is not going to happen, he's a big Adam Scott fan, (although he cannot putt lately) and Trevor Immelan--best tempo in the game!

Didn't know if you had some thoughts suggestions, directions that we should be looking at in off season. I know he will probably continue to grow and this most likely will be a stepping stone set until he reaches his final body height, weight, etc., but I think he has outgrown the really light weight shafts and need something more for the next couple of years....Thanks again

Answer: To be honest, At his age, I would be more worry about his swing. As for his club, I would have to at least have a phone fitting and would be ideal to see him in person and look at his swing too.

Callaway Rogue Driver with Evenflow Shaft
Callaway Rogue 3 Wood
TMade P790 2 Driving Iron
Callaway Epic Pro Irons 4 - PW with Aerotech Shafts
Vokey SM6 -- 56 and 60 Degree
Custom Toulon

Hey Joe,

This is a great community and thanks in advance if you are able to help me. I used to play a 9.5* 905r with a stock speeder shaft that I hit pretty well , but that along with my entire bag ended up getting stolen. After needing a club in a hurry I bought my current Nickent 4dx T spec, but I'm losing a good deal of distance espically sometimes when I hit the ball on the bottom of the club face. I'm looking to get a different set up and I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks

Nickent 4dx 10.5* Tour spec .5* open face, Stock UST V2 65g mid low Stiff, 45.5"

Generally a smooth easy swinger.

5 hcp, 7/10 on my ball striking

Skying my drives as well as too much backspin. Another thing but its not really a big problem but I draw/hook everything else but fade/slice my driver.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?)

Swing Speed-98.4mph, Launch-15.1*, Ball Speed-143mph, Spin Rate-3211 rpm, Side Spin -792 (fade), Side Angle 2.2*

Lower boring ball flight and achieve more distance.

Never had a dynamic club fitting before. My knuckle to floor measurement is 32.5"(i'm right handed)

I used to be a pretty solid driver with my old 905r, with the occasional hook thrown in. With my existing set up my misses tend to be ballooning slices.

Again old setup ball flight was a straight/slight draw, now my good shots are a slight fade.

Southern Louisiana hot, humid, and rainy, lately we've had a good deal of rain and I have been getting almost no roll.

6'2", 205 lbs, athletic build, not the best posture.

Not really sure, maybe Stuart Appleby

Answer: Classic over the top down swing IMO. Maybe try to choke down ( play it at 45" at least or maybe less ) on your driver and see if you can get a better angle. If that doesn't help, I would definitely seek a help from a teaching pro first over changing equipments.

Hello there Joe (and anyone else who would like to offer insight),

I am new to GolfWRX, and have been struggling to find a resource of informed reliable opinion on golf clubs and components. Specifically, I am looking for advice as to a new shaft for my driver. My info as requested is as follows:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc ) - I have a Cleveland HiBore XLS, 9.5 degrees, with the V2 H.MO.I. shaft as installed by Cleveland (says "V2 M.O.I." on the "top" of the shaft, says "M.O.I. technology engineered for Cleveland Golf" on the bottom of the shaft), stiff flex, standard length and swingweight (D3 according to Cleveland's website).

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )Loading factor on your swing? - Of the 2, I would say I am more of a quick tempo swinger who loads the club pretty well...I am 5 foot 7 1/2 inches, and generate about 105-108 MPH of clubhead speed and carry the driver about 250-255 yds on average I would say; probably average about 260-270 total distance, can get a 275-300 poke in from time to time, depending on the day I'm having and the conditions. My swing feels pretty smooth to me, but I am obviously not generating that clubhead speed based on my height and big swing arc :jester: .

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability? - I am an 8 handicap. My swing is consistent (8 on a scale of 10) and my ball striking is good.

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? - When I swing the club well, it usually goes well. My dispersion is very good, the ball rarely goes far off line. However, the shaft feels very "boardy" (not smooth, lacks a real feeling of "power" or "kick" at impact), and periodically I will hit a drive that barely gets 10 feet of the ground. It still goes straight, but has no trajectory at all. As I often will play to cut off the corner of a hole, or fly over trees, water, or bunkers, this trajectory (or lack thereof) could create a problem where my distance would normally be more than enough to carry whatever is in the way.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT! - I have not had a launch monitor session with this club. In past sessions, with a Nike Ignite 460 10.5 driver with a Stiff flex V2 shaft (67g), my swing speed was 105-108, launch angle was between 10 and 14 (usually around 12) my spin was realteively low (3000-3500 rpm) if I recall correctly.

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? - I would like to optimize my launch angle, and of course, pick up a few more yards if possible.

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? For RH players, What is your measurement Knuckle to floor on your LH...Vice Versa for LH players? - I have had a dynamic fitting with irons before...usually comes out just a little flat (1/2 degree or so). In street shoes, from my left middle finger knuckle to the floor is 28.5 inches.

8. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? - With my driver, bad shots usually go right' but I tend to hit my driver pretty straight.

9. What is your shot tendency that you like when you are playing good? - My best drives tend to be a power fade, with just a very little left-to-right action.

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? - I live outside of Orlando, FL, and play mostly typical Florida courses - flat, lots of water, can get soggy sometimes and don't offer a lot of roll

11. Body build and postures? - I am 5 ft. 7 1/2 inches, about 165 lbs., pretty good shape, traditional golf swing posture.

12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? - I would say from the old days maybe like Nick Price...not quite as quick, but that's the first one that comes to mind.

13. etc. The more the better it become. - My previous driver was a Nike Ignite 10.5 degree with a V2 67g Stiff shaft (installed aftermarket). I really hit that club well when I hit it well, but lost it right a bit more than I would like and felt like I might be missing something by not having one of the newer heads, so recently changed to the HiBoreXLS. I went with the V2 M.O.I. shaft becasue I really liked the V2 I had in the Nike. The new shaft just feels "non-responsive" to me, and periodically gives me a 10 feet off-the-ground shot with no trajectory. The ball goes very straight with this setup, but I am not confident in consistent trajectory and distance. I don't want to balloon the ball (I have no problem getting the ball up in the air); but would like a consistent trajectory that is going to maximize distance without sacrificing too much is the way of disperison. Other key info: I play Mizuno MX-25 irons with Dynalite Gold S300 shafts, I hit my 8 iron about 150-155 yards, my 3 iron about 205, and my PW about 125. I play a Callaway X Hot 3 wood with a Stiff Banzai shaft (and hit that club VERY well), and an Adams RPM 5 wood with a Grafalloy Prolaunch 65 Stiff shaft (just got that club, seems good so far; not getting quite as much distance as I'd like). I usually play a "Tour"-type ball (Pro V1 or B330) or sometimes the Bridgestone e5+ or the Nike Ignite ball.

Any suggestions as to a shaft to consider? My gut is something with a mid-flight...I don't want to go too heavy at the sacrifice of clubhead speed...I was looking at the Aldila VS Proto, any thoughts on that shaft? Should I just go back to the V2 I had pretty good success with in my Nike driver (although I'd like to pick up a few more yards than I was getting with that club)? Anything from the other manufacturers - Diamana, Grafalloy, Fujikura? I don't want to spend a fortune, but I will invest in a good shaft if the performance warrants it.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Don

Answer: Again, i need LM data with existing set up.

One quick follow-up to the above...any thoughts on the Grafalloy Blue? I have read some good reviews, and it is so cheap now ($30 or so on eBay), I thought it might be worth a shot. I have read that it plays a little stiffer than the stated flex...with a .350 tip HiBore XLS, and a 105MPH ss, might I consider a Regular flex; or better off to go with the Stiff?

Thanks again,

Don

Hi Joe. Thanks for everything you do for this community and for helping everybody out. Here are my answers and questions:

A: Cobra HS9X, 9* (stated) loft, clubhead sits closed, stock GD YS 6.6 shaft S-Flex 45.5"

A: smooth, backswing can get too long at times, smooth transition, very little shaft load

A: 18 hcp (European, could equate to 15 USGA, based on the rounds I played in the US with local guys), consistency: 8/10 with irons, 6/10 with driver

A: launch angle too low, inconsistency caused by trying to help the ball up in the air by opening the club face. 6 of 10 straight, 2 of 10 fade, 1 of 10 pull hook, 1 of 10 slice, bad slice.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT!

A: with existing set-up:

latest LM session: MATT (TM LM): 90-92 mph clubhead speed, 8.5* to 9* launch angle, 128-130 mph ball speed, 2100 to 2300 spin rate, swing path 1* to 2* out to in, wasn't told about the attack angle.

previous LM session six months ago (unassisted): Vector: 93-96 mph clubhead speed, 10* to 11* launch angle, 133- 135 mph ball speed, 1900 to 2100 spin rate, swing path 1* to 3* out to in, can't remeber attack angle, but it was slightly upwards.

various simulators had clubhead speed at 92 to 96 mph, launch angle at 9* to 11*

suggested set up by LM operator/swing analyst/sales person (he strongly thought that higher launch at all costs was the way to go, which is probably correct):

Ping G10 10.5* loft, Proforce V2 High Launch 65 R-Flex at 45"

results with this suggestion: (MATT LM) (estimated) 90 mph clubhead speed, 13 to 14* launch angle, 126 to 127 mph ball speed 2800 to 3000 spin rate, swing path straight.

A: More consistency both length ad direction wise by just using my natural swing, which works well with irons. Right now, I feel, that I always have to hold back somewhat and "steer" the ball with the driver.

A: Yes, years ago. Told me to go really upright (63.5* lie for 6 iron). Did not work at all with irons. Teaching pro later told me to go a lot flatter with irons. Now PING black dot (fairly flat). Works extremely well with irons, a lot more consistency, no more fat shots, no more pulls. Knuckle to floor: 32 1/4"

A: mostly still straight, but fat or thin shots. If not straight (which seldom happens): pull with short and medium irons, slice with long irons. Pull or slice with driver.

A: straight, with the slightest of fades.

A: links type (80%) or parkland, usually very windy, rather firm fairways. Central Europe.

A: 6 ft, 180 lbs. athletic, but a little lanky (competitive swimmer in my youth). upright posture

A: Just realized this at the PGA Championship, probably Ben Curtis. Very rounded swing, little wrist hinge in the downswing, using the whole body, but not in sequence, rather moving all parts together at the same time.

Would like to swing: like Stuart Appleby, will never get even close :) .

A: I tried my best.

I would also appreciate your shaft suggestions, if I went for the G10 in 10.5*, or a Nike Sumo 5900 in 10.5* or a Cobra LD Speed F in 10.5*, or a Mizuno MP-600 in 10.5*. All very different heads, I know. But I liked those best, when demoing different drivers.

Thank you very much for your effort.

Answer: G10 # looks good, It just need to double check with the lenght of the club to give you a better angle of attack to bring the spinrate down. Maybe a slightly higher kick point and slightly stiffer tip would also do the trick.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

Hi Joe, I don't feel like I have the right shaft in my driver. Any help that you can provide will be much appreciated.

Titleist 907D2 w/ UST Proforce V2 76g Stiff

I have a smooth tempo. I am swinger not a hitter of the golf ball. I have a fairly average transistion. Tend to get a little quick at the top.

7 HC. 8-8.5 in ball striking. Better with irons than the driver and 3 wood.

I hit the ball low to medium for my 6' 4" frame. I would like to get the ball up in the air.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT!

These are the averages for the D2 when I got fitted:

SS: 110

Ball velocity: 163

LA: 13.1

Spin: 2794

Carry: 265.7

Total: 288.9

PTR: 147.6

I want to add some altitude to the ball. I don't feel the club head all the way through the swing. Looking for a more active tip but keep the weight and dispersion close to where they are now.

My Mizuno irons are .75" long and 2* up.

Low left hooks.

Either a slight draw or fade. Don't really care, I just want it to happen more than once!

Louisville is wet in the spring and doesn't really rain from Mid-July to October. Most of the courses now are fast.

6' 4" 205 lbs. Slim build.

Stewart Cink or Davis Love. Fairly long flowing swing.

13. I have the same shaft in a 906F2 and cannot get that thing airborn off the deck. I consistantly hit low hooks. I am not sure I have ever hit that club to the right.

Answer: Your numbers looks good to me. It looks to me your complain is only feel and YES if you get a slightly softer tip design shaft It'll give you a better feel and most likely height also on your trajectory. However you might want to stiffen up a bit for better control by tipping it prior installation. I would not go to all the way X, unless you are looking for control and straight ball only. Installation is critical on your D2 to get the feel correctly.

Titleist TSi2 9 - Ventus Blue 6x
Titleist TSi2 16.5 - Ventus Red 7x

Titleist TSi2 21 - Ventus Red 8x
Titleist T200 / T100 - KBS Tour X

Vokey SM8 Raw 50F, 56D, 60M - s400
SC Newport 2 SS / Pro Platinum Mid-Slant

- Rapture 10.5 degree with Pershing 75 Stiff at 45" (D4 SW)

- X20 Tour with X100 at +1/2" and 2* flat (these are D8 SW - too heavy)

2. What type of swinger are you?

- Rotary swinger as per the master Slicefixer; moderate tempo; suspect a mid-release point. You meant early release or flippy at impact?

- I am a 4 right now and vary up to a 6. I am about a 7 or an 8 out of 10 for consistency.

- Irons especially feel heavy and have little pop. I am about 1 club short. But, the irons are very accurate. The irons swingweight to D8. I would like

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before?

- With the Rapture - 98-104mph SS; 145-150 BS; 12-14 launch; spin 2800-3200

- I would like to get my distance back and keep the accuracy. Would like a lighter weight club but maintain the ability to feel the club especially in transition.

- Bad shots go left - usually straight with a draw left. Some pulls.

- Have been dynamically fit numerous times. Length comes out 1/4 to 1/2" over each time. Usually they fit me for 2* up, but through hard experience have learned that leads to a whole lot of left. Am now 2* flat and still draw the ball. Suspect I could use std to +1/4 clubs now that my swing has matured into a more rotary and flatter swing.

- Ball goes toward target and draws away. Some pulls. Some fats. Ball on driver is usually center to miss usually 1/2 ball up and towards toe. Irons the ball mark is heel-side of center usually.

- Very controlled draw.

- From Sacramento - municipal courses usually - tree lined; typically soft conditions with lush fairways.

- 6'1"; 205 pounds; fairly limber and athletic

- Hunter Mahan; Stuart Appleby;

13. etc.

- In general, I can hit the ball reasonably accurately with the 1 year old X20 tours. In this year time frame I have gone through a swing change (i.e. Slicefixer style) and have changed my shafts to X100 not due to my speed but due to spin (I was over 6500 rpm on my 6 iron with Black Gold Stiff). I have gone to much flatter lies which has greatly increased my iron accuracy (have hit 16 GIRs twice this summer and broke par for the first time this summer). However, the clubs feel like heavy training clubs and I have lost a club in distance.

Thanks Mr. Kwok!

Answer: The way I see it, you are compensating your clubs/equipments and not fixing your swing. All the info you gave me and all the one I bold and underlined shows that.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joe,

I know your a busy man and you must have read posts like this thousands of times before but i need a new shaft. Here goes;

1) Existing set up-

Callaway FT-5 tour head, neutral, standard loft & lie, with standard Fuji-fit on E360, stiff with a 350 tip

2) Type of swinger-

Slow tempo with a late release, full shoulder turn with 3/4 length backswing, most power from fast hands. I need to work on my weightshift!

3) Handicap-

2.6- and striking ability - 8.5-10, i was of scratch but took the game up 18 months ago after a 7 year lay off, handicap has come down from 5.0- 2.6 in this time.

4) Problem with existing set up-

the distance of my driver is not comparable with the rest of my clubs. I know this doesn't sound technical but i find the shaft very dead, not in the sense that it feels to stiff ,it just feels like it doesn't suit my swing and as such im not getting the most out of the club/shaft!

5) Ever had launch monitor session -

Yes but im afraid i don't have loads of info, swing speed- 103-107, launch angle and spin rate i was told was bang on but i don't remember what it was! Average carry was around 252 yards!

6) What am i trying to achieve with my existing set up-

first more distance, i know everyone wants this but i do feel this is lacking! Second more carry ,i have been advised my carry yardage is shorter than it should be, higlighted by the fact friends of mine with slower swing speeds have been measured with more carry distance! Finally a slightly higher initial trajectory, although i was advised during fitting my launch angle was bang on ,i feel my overall flight is too low, which may explain why i lose distance through the air.

7) Had a dynamic fitting before-

yes! I had one done a year ago when buying my irons. I came up as standard for length and 1 degree upright on lie, although i have been advised with a driver the extra degree on lie is not such an issue.

8) What is my bad shot-

a thin, this is less common with my irons but with this driver it happens more often that i'd like, accuracy wise im fairly consistent!

9) Shot tendancy when playing good-

low-mid height with a slight draw! More run than most!

10) Course condition/type & where am i from-

I play on a parkland course which does have a number of holes where carry is important e.g. brooks at 260 on 2 holes, bunkers on others at similar range. It can play very wet as the drainage is poor ,again a reason why my distance is down as the ball doesn't run. My main concern is that if i go for a shaft that carrys further my spin rate will increase and the wind will have more effect! I play in the UK at a course in Birmingham, part of the reason im sending this post is because we don't have access to many facilities and as such im unable to test many different shafts!

11) Body build & posture-

5 foot 10 inches or 1.79 metres, weight 83 kilos. Normal proportion, centre knuckle to floor 82 cm.

12) Who on tour do i swing most like-

i would say my swing shape is rounded , technically it is a cross between Graham Macdowell and David Howell with a slower tempo!

13) More info-

Previous to this driver i had a 9.5 degree Titleist D2 with a 75grm V2. On my first ever monitor session it was pointed out that this shaft was doing me no favours and was too heavy. After trying lots of different combos the Graphite design YS-6+ in X-stiff was the best for accuracy and distance and gave me 22 yards extra carry. Ironically i didn't buy this set up as i prefered the Ft-5 i have now and to be fair the stats suggested the two drivers were very similar. I have looked at various shafts and have been told a 66 gram, stiff, V2 high launch or 68 gram, stiff, Grafalloy attacklite would be suited to me. However if i trusted the opinions of the people who recommended these shafts i wouldn't be writing this post, please help!!!...Dave :good:

Answer: I'm not sure where to start with very minimal info on your LM data, Sorry!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide and thanks for all the help you have given in the past...

TM r7 425 non-TP 9.5* (12g weights in front, 2g weights in back), TM Rombax TP 75g X flex (335 shaft shimmed in 350 bore), 45.5

Slowish tempo when I'm on and quicker tempo when I am off, pretty decent loader of the shaft

Handicap = ~17 (primarily because I cannot strike an iron to save my life on a consistent basis, I can drive a ball 295 straight yards on a 350 yard par 4 and still bogey...)

Swing is pretty consistent, but if I am off it is because I am not utilizing my lower body and coming over the top

Usually do a good job of hitting center face or close to center face of driver

Seem to lose distance because of high flight (too much spin?)

Numbers recently obtained from trackman with current club:

Swing Speed: 115-120

Spin: 3200-3300

Launch: 13-13.3

Carry: 275-280 (didn't look at the distances as much as the spin)

Total: 290-302

Decrease spin to increase carry distance and decrease spin to decrease angle of descent and increase rollout

Yes, recommended 3/4" long and 3* up

Fade to slice from lazy swing

Straight to slight draw

Pretty firm courses in the Sacramento area

6'3" ~200 lbs, fit, and pretty upright posture (at address)

Try to model my swing after Vijay's...at least the 2008 version...

Answer: Stiffer tip design and higher kick point shaft should do the job IMO.

Hey Joe would appreciate any help you can provide,

1.What is your existing set up?

-Ping g10 9 degree, ProLaunch Red stiff flex 45.75 length d3 swing weight

2. Type of swinger?

- very smooth, shaft is slightly short of parallel at the top

3. Handicap and Striking ability?

- 4 ( because I hit the driver so short ) Striking ability- 8 (I'm consistantly near the centre )

- played college golf am now 33

4. Problem with existing set-up?

- Distance, Distance, Distance. I'm routinely 40 plus yards behind guys that I hit the same iron yardages with.

5. Launch Monitor Session

- yes (do not know the name of the system but it was at the canadian Ping fitting centre)

swing speed - 95-105

launch angle - 9 - 12 degree range

Ball speed - 135-142 range

spin rate - 3000 - 3300

swing path - from inside slightly

angle of attack - shallow

lie angle - whatever Ping black dot is on standard length ping irons

Carry Distance - 225-235

Total Distance - 240- 250 ( on a good day)

6. What am I trying to accomplish?

need more distance to be competitive, it's hard hitting 4irons into greens when my playing partners have 7 and 8's. I do not want to sacrifice my very good accuracy with the Driver

- want to maintain a slight draw with more carry compared to roll

-prefer heavier shafts, can't feel the head at the top in the ultra light shafts 65 grams ( always hit the old titleist drivers with dynamic Gold s300's well- same problem though was distance. Loved the feel though)

7 Dynamic club Fitting

- yes, refer to question 5

8. Shot tendency on Mishits and bad days?

moderate to high WEAK fades ( 5-10 yards)

9. Shot tendency when playing well?

Moderate Draw ( 5-10 yards ) average height

10Course Conditions?

I live in Canada, softer ground

11. Body Type?

33 yrs old 5"11, 180pounds

posture is somewhat upright ( I stand tall)

12 Who do you swing like or want to swing like?

Ernie Els - ( without the power but very smooth)

- I am slightly laid off at the top

- it's very pretty, but need better results with the driver.

- I have never made the transition to graphite shafts very well....i hate them.

Please help me Joe, get me 20 yards, I know it's out there. Thanks Jay.

Answer: Your spin rate doesn't show me that your attack angle is shallow enough. Your LA need to get higher which IMO need 10.5*, but it'll throw of your spinrate worst if you don't fix your attack angle. Your SS Shows quite a gap in producing a consistent SS. Let's be realistic first on trying to catch up 40 yards :rolleyes:...I'm sure we need to work a lot on your swing to catch up that far.

Hey Joe, as a side note to the previous info, I'm thinking about the Diamana whiteboards in a 73gram s flex in the new Ping Rapture V2. I may never have the opportunity to demo a model though. Tip stiff shafts have always scared me of a little bit, worried that I won't get the ball off the ground and I never want to see any shot fade an inch to the right ( unless I was intentionally hitting a fade. Thanks again.

Anyone (Joe) w/ some thought's on a new driver and shaft combo to replace the following set-up:

Driver: Titleist 905R w/ Fuji Pro95 - Stiff - 93g shaft - Torque - 3.0 / Flex Point - High / Loft 9.5

- Quick to fast tempo / semi-violent downswing (friend gave me the name Torquemonster)

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?

- Playing to 7 - 10 hdcp. Swing consistency: 7

Driver. (I have used this club for 3 years)

- Distance. I am currently getting 275 - 295 (with roll) but I don't feel like I am getting everything out of this shaft. Feel there is distance being left on the table.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!!

Driver:

Ball Speed - 168mph

Club Speed - 109mph

Launch - 13 deg

Azimuth - ?

Carry distance - 268

Backspin - 3100

Driver - I think I can get more distance and also much better consistency. This may seem greedy but I think it is possible for sure. If I had to prioritize, I would go for consistency first and distance second. I need to know where it is going.

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle?

Only with my irons but almost every year i check the lofts and lies, I am always 2 deg upright.

8.Other:

I've been looking for 90 gram shaft for awhile seems most manufactures have gone to the lite side (50 grams). I have played w/ X-flex in the 90 gram range, but tend to be low and right w/ that set-up.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Torque...

Answer: Any body on this board will be a happy golfer if they can swing it at 109 with 168 ball speed to be honest. Why you have to go with 90gr shaft? Why not " say 75gr or maybe even 80gr at most w/ heavier swing weight and S/X flex higher kick point "? and maybe slightly shorter set up for better control to match your quick tempo swing style. Might want to watch your attack angle to lower your spinrate to a better spot.

Joe,

I'm looking to finally put an end to my shaft search, hoping you can help.

-current set up is a Mizuno Mp-600 8.5* Prolaunch 65x w/ 1/2" tip

-have a med-quick tempo w/ hard move to ball

-hadicap is 7.5

-the problem w/ this set up is way too much spin despite the tipping, launch is high but dont mind to keep as long as spin rate goes down.

-LM numbers from a zelocity lm(which is a piece): LA:14*-17*,spin rate: 3600-3800, swing speed is consistent at 112 ball speed:169

- lower spin is a must, my only criteria

-problem shot= snappers

-good shot= straight w/ 5-10 yrd draw

-from huntsville, tx(NE of Houston) very humid i must say

-I'm only 5'7" so i'm curious if i should play a shorter shaft than standard

-swind tends to look like AK, although just without the short game:)

any help would be appreciated, high possibility of sending yall my club to be worked on.

Thanks in advance

Answer: Definitely need to work on your swing. Your numbers tells me you don't need to change club/equipments for now and spend it on a lesson. Shaft change might help speed up the process for better control, but mostly on the swing for sure IMO. Email me if you are serious to get better, at least on the club set up for speedier swing change

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread and forum, thanks.

I've not played for 6.5 years. Just got the golf bug back, albeit at the wrong time of year to really enjoy playing. Hitting practice balls only at the moment along with a few refresher lessons.

Specifically I'd like advice as to shafts. I have several sutiable choices at the moment, although these are based on what I consider to be a 'slow' swing speed for myself. I am sure that I have plenty more speed left in me once I refind my swing.

1. TaylorMade R580, 9.5, Standard TM Shaft, TS Flex

2. Smooth swinger

3. 5ish handicap

4. Existing club is now illegal and never was as good as the R360 that it replaced.

5. Fitted at Callaway HQ. 6 Iron speed 91mph, Carry 185. Currently use x-flex x-14 Pro Series.

Driver tested was FT-5 10 degree, swing speed 106, ball speed 150, Spin 3640, Launch Angle 16 degrees, swing path 2.73, angle of attack 0.77, efficiency 1.43

6. Even though I have three shaft choices from this fitting I am concerned that they are 'temporary' only. I am not releasing my hands at all and know that this will affect swing speed once I am fully back on track. By how much though? Will the final hand release change swing speed considerably and push me from 'S' to 'X' flex?

7. NA

8. Slight push is a bad shot, no fade at all. 6.5 years ago I was able to cultivate a nice gentle draw with the existing club, but I was for sure releasing my hands and not holding off.

9. Prefer a gentle draw as a stock shot.

10. Not played a single round of golf in 6.5 years, practice range balls only.

11. 6' 1'', strong and heavy build.

Shaft choices from Callaway fitting were: Aldila NV65, Grafalloy Platinum, Diamana Blue.

I specifically will be buying Callaway I-Mix.

Many thanks in advance.

Gary.

Answer: Who knows where your flex be after you fix your swing and get more consistent swing. Just looking at the number, it tells me you need lower lofted driver with a higher kick point shaft and you will need to work on your attack angle and or swing path. YES, in most case you will increase your SS if you can fix your attack angle and swing path.

Nickent 4DX 10.5* driver, currently has a UST SR3 regular flex shaft

Smooth controlled backswing, a little faster uncoiling, usually slice the ball if it goes off, anywhere from 220-300 yards depending on how hard I get at it

18, I'm about 80% consistent

My shaft broke, plus I think it needed to be a touch stiffer, swung a Nike Sumo with a Fujikura stiff flex shaft and it felt great and I had about 5mph more clubhead speed and the ball went straighter (swung both at Dick's in their junky little monitor)

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT!

I haven't had the whole gamut, clubhead speed is around 90-100mph on how hard I swing, ball speed is around 130-140mph, I usually have to tee it up a little low for proper trajectory because if I tee it up half a ball above the clubhead at rest I hit it sky high

Better feel and more importantly to help correct the slice some (I know this is mostly swing related, but I want the shaft to be as best as it can be)

I have not

At best a fade, at worst a big time slice, I usually aim about 30 yards left if I'm trying to put the ball 250 yards out, and usually end up on the right side over in the first cut of rough (right handed player)

Straight down the pipe, if I'm on I just line up straight and give it my all and it flies dead straight, I do not ever try to work the ball

Nashville, TN. I usually play when it's nice out and into the cold. Rarely play when it's wet.

6' 0", average/athletic build, not perfect posture but fairly good, I try to focus on keeping my spine straight, stay wide, and make a big turn

Hard to say as I've never seen my swing on tape

13. My irons are Wilson Staffs with steel shafts, they are uniflex and I hit them nearly dead straight and very predictably, my hybrids are Taylor Made Rescue regular flex with stock shafts and they feel stiffer than my Nickent shafts and I hit them fairly well too with a little draw, 3FW is a Nickent 3DX with a greenish Adila NV regular flex shaft and I hit it awesome, one of the best clubs in my bag

Thanks a ton for any help on this guys. I'm not looking to spend a fortune since I haven't ever been on a proper launch monitor or had my swing analyized, much less properly fitted for a club and/or shaft, but I'd definitely open to a variety of options.

Answer: I need more data to help you! But yet it sounded you need to get more consistent on your swing first.

Joe: let's see if you can fix this for me!! First off, I am a very good player (scratch) and have had a lot of success as a self-taught golfer. My problems lie ( and have for the last 5-6 yrs) around my 4-5-6 irons. I hit the driver, 3wood, hybrids, 7-8-9 and all wedges very straight and my natural shot is a slight, slight fade. When I get to the 4-5-6 I generally hit high, weak shots that fall gently to the right. With these clubs my distance is not comparable to my other clubs. Here is a rundown of everything:

Club Set Up and carry distances

Driver---TM TP Tour Burner 9.5 with Aldila NV 65 stiff (275)

3 wood---TM TP Tour Burner 13 with Aldila NV 65 stiff (250)

TM TP Rescues 17* and 19* with reax 85 gram stiff (230) (215)

TM R7 irons 5-pw DG S300 standard length and lie (5i-170, 6i-160, 7i-155 8i-145 9i-135 pw-125

Type of Swinger: quick tempo with quick transition

Handicap: Scratch

Problem with existing set-up: do not hit the 5-6 like the rest of my clubs

Launch monitor: yes, but don't remember

Trying to change or achieve: want to be a little longer with all irons, but esp. the 5-6-7 so that I do not have a big gap between 5 and 19* hybrid. No more weak shots with 5-6-7---really struggle with into the wind or left to right winds

Dynamic fitting: usually 1/2 to 1* flat with standard length

Tendency: weak shots that fall right----esp into the wind

Shot tendency I like: Boring, straight shots that do not have too high of a trajectory

Course Conditions: Indiana---all kinds of weather!!

Body build and posture: 5'8 225 lbs, athletic, very broad shoulders, very strong legs, a bit of a "beer" belly, Maybe a little of a slunched over set-up----nothing real bad tho!!

Swing look like: believe it or not---Greg Norman

Hope you can help me out man!!

Answer: Base on your info only here, I think you hit the ball to high and lost your distance due to that. Most likely You need to pick the right club design and shaft combo and then I need to see your swing to see why you are hitting it high. The correct dynamic fitting is a must IMO to get you with the right ball flight and might even tweak your loft to help further. BTW, from my record... Lots of high ball hitter players have a big problem with this iron.