2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

joey3108

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

It's a Titleist 905R 9.5* with a stiff GD YS-6+ at standard length.

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader?

I have a medium tempo. If anything it's a bit on the smooth side so I'm guessing I'm not a very heavy loader. I'm guessing my swing speed is around 105. I hit the driver about 270 and my 7 iron about 160 (standard Ping i3 blade with s300).

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability?

I play in the high singles. My game has deteriorated a bit because I'm attending school in the city. I'd say it's pretty consistent though. Maybe a 7. I hit a draw that has a tendency to turn in to a hook, especially with the driver.

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?

I hit high hooks and I think I put too much spin on the ball. I used to play the Titleist 983E with 8.5* with a stiff T-speeder and much prefer that trajectory and distance though the 905R is more forgiving. Want to try a new shaft in the 905R to see if I can hit it better than the 983. I'm a high launch, high spin kind of guy.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST!

Never

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?

I could stand to decrease the launch angle a bit but more importantly want to decrease spin and minimize hooks. I don't want to go too low torque though as I find I swing harder with the overly boardy feeling shafts.

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? For RH players, What is your measurement Knuckle to floor and wrist to floor on your LH...Vice Versa for LH players? Shoes on!

I've never had dynamic fitting done. 31.5" from knuckle, 35.8" from wrist

8. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where?

toe hooks

9. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?

a little draw

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?

I golf in Southern New Jersey. I mostly play less expensive public courses that are more wide open driving wise.

11. Body build and postures? height? etc.

I'm 5'10 with shoes, 170 pounds athletic build. No posture issues

12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?

I try to follow Hank Haney's "swing on or parallel to the angle of the shaft at address" philosophy. I try to model it after Anthony Kim among others but don't quite have the insane flexibility that he has.

13. How far do you hit your 5 iron on a perfect day ( carry distance )?

14. etc. The more the better it become.

The most success I've had so far is with the T-Speeder which I had played for five years before switching to the 905R/YS-6+ combo. I want a shaft that won't break the bank so I was looking at the V2 but have heard that many feel like it is too boardy. Didn't like the original Proforce line. I'd prefer the weight to be in the mid 70 gram range. i have videos of my golf swing if itit would help but when i try to upload it as an attachment it won't work. Thanks!

I

Answer : Read my first post regarding how important LM DATA.

Joe your help would be appreciated,

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc)

Driver, Cobra S9-1 F Speed, 9.5 loft, Aldila DVS-HL55 Stiff, 45.5 Length, D3 swing weight, 55 grams

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader?

I would say more Im a medium swinger with a tendancy to get a little quick from the top. Medium loader

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability?

I am currenty a 10 handicap and not very cosistant with my driver swing. I tend to get a little quick.

This is a new driver and I seem to hit some big fades and the shaft seems a little light and flimsy, Also hit some blocks left.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST!

With my Cobra, I was on a launch monitor at Golfsmith not sure of the brand, Swing speed around 100 to 105, Spin rate around 2800, launch angle around 15, swing path a little out to in, on the steep side for angle of attack

I want to hit it straignter and still keep the higher ball flight, Maybe a little stiffer and heavier shaft. I am looking for tighter shot dispersion first and distance second.

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? For RH players, What is your measurement Knuckle to floor and wrist to floor on your LH...Vice Versa for LH players? Shoes on!

My irons are 1/2 over and 2 degrees up.

8. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where?

I tend to get irratic and can push them left and pull them right. Miss on the toe, Goat humper.

9. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?

When playing well I hit a little draw or straight

Usually play very tight courses, dry conditions, bay area California.

6'2" 205 Larger shoulders, solid

12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?

I alway love watching Ernie Els, smoth swing

5 Iron 185 yards

My last driver was the Nike Sumo 13 Degree with a Aldila VS Proto 65-S. Yes, 13 degree. I had a tendancy to hit the ball very low cause of getting ahead of the ball at impact. Now I'm staying behind it better but hitting it wat too high. It was 44.5 in long and I hit it pretty well. I was thinking on putting the proto in the Cobra.

I would love to hear you feed back.

Thanks Dave

Answer: The way I see your LM data, You are on the high side with your LA. Base on that I would move to a slightly heavier shaft mid - midhigh kick with some what lower spin a hair would give you a better control, especially if you build it at 45" or 44.75". Definitely check with your swing pro on why you need a better consistency. I have a feeling you are a little to wristy now coming from a low ball hitter and now hitting it on the high side of it. Smooth swinger usually have a better control with slightly heavier shaft and heavier swingweight and not to tip stiff with slightly under flex from your SS.

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )

Ping G10, 9 degree (maybe it's me, but it seems to be more lofted than that), Prolaunch Red, stiff, d3-d4, 45.5, square face angle

I'd say average with the tendency to get quick. I have no trouble loading the PL Red - I'd say heavy loader.

Handicap is 9. I'd rate my consistency as a 6-7 w/ driver. 7-8 w/ irons.

The problem is probably me more than anything ;) , but there are times when I feel I've made a very good driver swing and the ball goes too high. I also miss left more than right. Lefts are pulls/pull-hooks. Rights are blocks/pushes. I like the feel of my current configuration, but I think I'm getting too much spin.

Yes I have - and it was with this current G10/PL Red setup. Not sure of the LM brand (didn't think to ask at the time).

Took about 15-20 swings:

Swing Speed: 105 -110 consistently. If I had to pick one number, I'd go with 108.

Launch Angle: 14 -15.5 degrees

Ball Speed: ~160

Spin Rate: 2600 - 2900

Swing Path: Right ~2-3 degrees (over the top a bit)

Angle of Attack: unsure on this - guessing slightly steep

I guess what every other golfer is trying to achieve - the confidence that I am using the best configuration to maximize carry/overall distance w/ my driver. However, feel is important to me - I don't like swinging tree trunk shafts. In my perfect world, my shaft will feel smooth as butter but not bring rain with the high shots (some of my drives seem to balloon too high). And anything that could make my misses left not as drastic would be nice too.

Yes - twice in the last two years since I changed my swing slightly.

Lie Angle was 2 degrees upright originally, changed to 1/2 degree upright late last season.

Wrist to floor: 34 iirc

Knuckle to floor: I don't think he measured this

Majority of my bad shots are pull-hooks. I also hit the occasional block/push to the right. When I miss the sweet spot, it impacts the face closer to the toe. And also, as I mentioned, some shots balloon on me - not sure if it's the setup, the ball, the wind, or me when this occurs.

Slight draw or slight fade - medium trajectory.

From Chicago burbs - windy, tight landing areas.

Athetic build. 6'0, 190. Could about 5 lbs - 34" waist, average to broad shoulders

I've never thought my swing looked like a pro's - but I'd like it to look simple. Full turn back and through with no unneccessary movements. That is what I focus on - I hope this answer helps.

185-190

Not sure if this info will help - but I mainly play w/ a ProV1x ball or Bridgestone B330-S, Ping I-5 Irons with a stiff lightweight steel shaft. The clubfitter mentioned I was boarder line between stiff/extra stiff. Since I don't like boardy shafts, I went with stiff. I've also been told I may need an x-flex in a driver shaft, but I've never swung one that felt right. I can load some of them fine, but the feel is different and not to my liking. The only X-flex I've ever owned in a driver was the Grafalloy Blue a couple years back (it was too boardy).

I will say that I've never tested any shaft that isn't stocked on a daily basis at my local Golf Galaxy store. Over the years I've tested UST, Graf, etc - never had the opportunity to try the high-priced shafts (Diamana, etc), but would love to.

Edit: New LM results - from a Zelocity Prolaunch at Golf Galaxy (first LM results were from Dick's Sporting Good's LM - not sure of the model, but perhaps that helps)

I'm confused about the Angle of Descent (AoD) - is it this monitor's version of Angle of Attack?

The ball I used was a Bridgestone e7+. I should've used my regular ball (Prov-1x or Srixon Z Star) for the test - since I don't know how much a ball change can effect the numbers.

LM results:

hwkg80.jpg

I think these numbers look ok, not great. I thought I was closer to 108 SS but it's not that far off. These results look better on paper than they do on a course (where I balloon more than a few drives at times).

Answer: X flex with same kick point should take care of the problem. a little shorter set up should give you a better control and a better consistency IMO and most likely will give you a better easier way to get a better angle of attack.

• 2 weeks later...

IRON SHAFT FITTING

1. Irons: Macgregor VIP 1025M, True Temper s300 Shafts, 2* upright, Std. length (just got some Tour Edge Exotic CNC forged heads and was wondering what shafts to put in them)

2. Medium to quick; pretty smooth though I think, Loading factor: probably medium

3. Handicap: 3 consistent is your swing: 8 where is your striking ability: 7

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? In measuring the lie angle on my Nike Pro Combos (standard length and stiff shaft), I was consistently hitting toe down so I bent them 2* upright...when measuring for shaft length it said I should go -1/2 in but I was hesitant to do that seeing as I'm 6'2" (but with long arms I guess)...also I think I may need x100

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? Yes a launch monitor from Dick's Sporting Goods...not sure on the brand

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? consistency and accuracy

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? 2-3* upright For RH players, What is your measurement Knuckle to floor and wrist to floor on your LH...Vice Versa for LH players? Shoes on! Measurements from Dick's Sporting goods said -1/2 in. but I use Std length. RH knuckles to floor = 30.75 in and wrist to floor is about 34.75

8. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Switches up with my swing...used to be low hooks or a push, but now with some swing changes it a little more cut then I want (i'm right handed)

9. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? penetrating ball flight, medium trajectory...I'm used to playing in a lot of wind at links courses.

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? windy, links, Wisconsin

11. Body build and postures? 6' 2" 162 lbs, slim athletic

12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? Davis Love III

13. How far do you hit your 5 iron on a perfect day ( carry distance )? 195-200

14. Driver Swing Speed= 105-112 mph; Ball speed 150 mph; Ave. Distance 291 yards; launch angle 15.8* spin rate 3500

15. 6-iron swing speed = 86 mph; Ball speed 119 mph; distance 198; launch angle 22*; spin 6800

Quesions/answers from your updated post:

9. Do you consider yourself a High ball hitter or low ball hitter? Low Ball/medium trajectory

13. What is your glove size? ML-L

15. Are you a deep/medium or shallow divot taker? deep/medium

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Answer: Definitely a dynamic fitting. Not gonna be easy to get accurate with just on line fitting. Just base what you got here, you might need a flighted type of iron shaft to help you bring the ball higher especially on longer iron in at least soft X flex considering you have a quick tempo swinger.

1. What is the club existing set up? Adams 9015d 9.5* stock stiff 45.5"

2. What type of swinger are you Very aggressive swing. Quick transition into my downswing. Probably a 120 swing speed.

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability? Probably 7 hdcp. Driver is my strongest club.

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? I tend to hit it very high with a little right to left in it. When i catch one square it just doesn't feel like I got all of it.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST! No launch monitoring. But have used a simulator in our local austad's store. All I can really remember is the ball speed is usually around 175+, and the launch angle is not accurate since the only rubber tees they had were very short.

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? I would like to launch with a more boring trajectory, with only a slight draw if at all. I want to be able to strut off the tee box knowing I gave it everything I have.

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? For RH players, What is your measurement Knuckle to floor and wrist to floor on your LH...Vice Versa for LH players? Shoes on! I have never bought "new" so not really. I did get my irons extended 1/2".

8. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? I tend to catch the ball on the toe of the clubface and/or pull out the dreaded snap hook.

9. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? When I am playing well I hit it straight or with a very slight draw.

10. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? The course I play at is starting to now green up quite a bit, the fairways are starting to fill in nicely and the rough is starting to get thicker too. I am living in Moorhead, MN just across the river from Fargo, ND.

11. Body build and postures? height? etc. I am pretty slim, but have put on quite a bit of lean muscle over the winter months, I am 6'1" but I have longer than average arms.

12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? I am not sure what my swing looks like (I have never seen it). I think when I am on, I would like to say my swing is similar to Tiger's. Obviously only in a very basic sense.

13. How far do you hit your 5 iron on a perfect day ( carry distance )? I can carry my 5 iron 210

14. etc. The more the better it become. I am looking to reshaft my driver. The stock Matrix Ozik in my Adam's feels too soft for me. Decent results but it just doesn't feel right. I don't know much about the different shafts out there. I have never really customized my clubs to this extent.

I bought a supposed "tour issue" Aldila VS Proto 70X SST Pured shaft off of ebay and am contemplating putting it my driver. The thing is I don't know if it is exactly the right shaft for me or not. We don't have any good clubfitters around here that would have the option for me to try it out at all. So there's no way for me to find out without just switching shafts. I think that there has been some tip prep on this shaft but am not certain. It feels very stiff to me.

I have read over and over again on these threads of how knowledgeable you are on these matters, so I would really appreciate some expert advice if you have the time. If not I understand.

Thanks in advance,

Mike Ratajczak

Answer: You might want to get a better more complete info before i can help you answering it.

Taylormade Qi10 9*/Ventus Blue 7X
Taylormade BRNR 13.5*/KBS TD Cat4 
Callaway AI Smoke 7w/AD IZ 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Taylormade Spider Tour Proto 34"
Taylormade MG4 52, 56, 62 S400
Taylormade 2024 TP5X

Joe , I would love to hear your thoughts .... I'm thinking a different driver and a reshaft of my irons into graphite as I have lost alot of distance and my objectives are to play at a pretty high level.

Driver fitting questionnaire:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc ) [b]Mizuno Blue Rage 9 degree , stock stiff shaft[/b]

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? Slow Back , Smooth Transition , Then rip it ... I load the driver pretty good , this shaft seems to be a much better fit for me than the Callaway Steelhead Graphite Stiffs in my 3 & 5

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability? One month after 10 yrs of 2 or 3 times a year , I'm at a 4 ... I'm a former professional ... I typically hit it very solid , poor swings will result in high toe , but my driver handles that shot pretty well.

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? I'm just can't hit it very far ... Start trying to kill it , then the Army golf starts.... Avg Tee Shot @ 250 - 260 with roll out unless it's very dry.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST! .... I stopped by a Golfsmith the other day , I don't know what brand machine they use , but I hit a variety of their drivers without a glove and in street shoes , my typical SS was 105 ... Ball Speed was 152 ... Spin rate was as high as 5000's and low of 4000's , I have a pretty steep angle of attack ( working on my ext ) ... Typical poor swing will produce shot to the right. Launch Angle was pretty low

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? ... I want to hit it longer ... I'm actually pretty happy with my accuracy when swinging well , but I'm having a hard time working it right to left.... The Blue Rage has a slightly closed face , if I need to change heads to get the distance , that's OK , but I will need something with a slightly closed face.

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? ... When not swinging well , I will hit alot of shots to the right ( push ... not slice ) ... I will also hit them on the toe.

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? ... Low to mid ball flight .... Dead straight

9. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Houston ... Kingwood CC Forest & Marsh ( Tin Cup Course ) ... 6800 - 7000 yd course ... Got to drive it well or your dead

10. Body build and postures? height? etc. 52 yrs old ... 6 ft ... 190 lbs ... Tend to loose my posture ( upright ) with back issues .... Biggest challenge comes from a broken right wrist that prevents me from getting the club fully in correct position at top ... After breaking the wrist , I've never regained the 20 - 30 yds I lost.

11. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? I like the way Anthony Kim swings it ... Boo Weakley ... I look more like a cross between Daly and Middlecoff

12. etc. The more the better it become.

Iron fitting Questionnaire:

1. Do you have a dynamic fitting before? lie angle? Typical fitting has been standard lie , I've tried 1 degree upright but went back to std.

2. What is the existing set up specs and shaft, etc? Detail please! I just ditched my Mizuno MX-20 with stiff Dynalite Sensicore Shaft ... With the Mizuno's I was struggling to hit the 7 iron 145 and started swinging way too hard ... I picked up an old set of 845's that I had put Grafaloy Pro Logic Stiff shafts in and instantly picked up 5 - 10 yds and a much higher ball flight.

3. Have you ever been on a launch monitor session? what are the numbers (detail)? what brand of machine? No

4. How do you hit them so far? Short

5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem? I'm thinking the MX-20's with a slightly longer shaft and lower swingweight sounds like a good option.

6. What do you like to see on your ball flight? I don't like to hit moon balls , but I see little chance of that with my swing. .... I would like something higher on long irons and low on short irons.

7. What is your ball flight tendency on your good golfing day? Low to mid

8. Which side is your mistake tendency? left or right side? any problem catching the sweet spot? where? misses are typically to the right .... misses are fat and on toe

9. Do you consider yourself a High ball hitter or low ball hitter? low

10. How far you hit a 5 iron on a good no wind day? 5 iron swing speed ( carry distance )? 170

11. What is you measurement on Knuckle to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players

12. What is your measurement on wrist to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players

13. What is your glove size? med

14. How tall are you? 6 ft

15. Are you a deep/medium or shallow divot taker? Digger

16. Who do you think your swing look like compare to PGA Tour players?

17. What is your handicap index? From?

18. Smooth , medium or quick tempo swing style? How good is your shaft load factor on your down swing?

Answer: To be honest, after reading your post...You need a lesson and practise over equipments change IMO.

Current driver is a standard off-the-rack Callaway FT-5 10deg with NVS stiff shaft.

Smooth - light loader from early release

7 hndcp

7 for consistency

Ball flight seems high and not much roll and I hit a draw which can turn into a hook so I want to swith to a club with a neutral or open face. Demo'd Titleist 909D2 and Cobra S9-1 Pro S and both improved L/R ball flight. As did an R9 460 opened 1deg. Now I just need to find a good shaft and head combo.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before?

I hit the 909D2 10.5 stock Titleist Diamana Blue Stiff on a launch monitor today - numbers below. Using Bridgestone E6 and E7 balls.

GolfGalaxy Zelocity

Club Speed: 95.2

Launch Angle: 16.5

Ball Speed: 141.8

Spin Rate: 3150

Path: 5.4 Right

Looking for a neutral or open face driver to neutralize the draw/hook with a lower, more penetrating ball flight.

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where?

Bad shot tendency are hooks or blocks to the right. Face mishits tend to be low and off the heel.

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?

Very slight draw.

9. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?

Varies a lot - play in Baltimore area - courses are soft in Spring/Fall and then get very hard in the summer.

10. Body build and postures? height? etc.

5'10'', average weight. Iron fitting recently put me at 2 deg flat and 1/2 short - arms hang pretty low apparently.

11. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?

My swing presently doesn't look too much like any PGA player. I really come from the inside and I don't have much lag. I like Immelmans swing though.

Thanks!

Answer: A lower lofted driver with a medium kick point shaft should do it IMO. You might want to play a FIRM flex ( not R and not S) for your smooth swing style.

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) 07 TM Burner TP, 10.5*, GD YSQ 65 stiff... Weight, length and etc are standard.

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? I'd say i'm a mid to quick tempo player... not sure about my load... I'm guessing light.

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability? At the moment i'm a solid 5 but i'm not as consistant as i'd like to be... same with my ball-striking... but both are getting better.

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? For me, this shaft is too weak for me... The tip is WAY to weak... If i don't pipe it it will trail off right... power fade.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST! SS avg. 115, LA 12 to 13, can't call BS, SR 3000, AA can be steep but that is also getting better.

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? Less spin and fade reduction... more distance.

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? Power fade on mistakes and also miss on the toe.

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? I like my LA and flight just looking for less spin.

9. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Hard conditions and mostly high wind... Oklahoma

10. Body build and postures? height? etc. Slender... 6'2" 180lbs

11. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? I've been told by more than one person it resembles DLIII

12. etc. The more the better it become. Price is not a problem with whatever shaft i get... Needing consistancy.

Cheers in advance!

Johnny

Answer: X flex should do it IMO, especially mid to quick tempo swinger.

[indent=1][u] Ping G[/u][/indent]
[indent=1]X2 Hot 3 & 5 wood w/Chrome
Scratch Don White 21-46 w/5* gaps
Scratch XDG 51* & 56*
Del Mar Buttonback[/indent]

• 2 weeks later...

DRIVER QUESTIONAIRE

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc )

my existing setup is a 9* FT-3 neutral with YS6 stiff standard length unknown swingweight

however, the club recommended to me by the fitter was a 10.5* R9 w/ Fubuki 73S (I believe tipped 1”) 46” in length unknown swing weight

I am a quick tempo swinger. I guess I would say heavy loader.

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? Where is your striking ability?

my handicap is around a 13 or 14 but really its unknown. A good round for me is a low 80s, typical round is mid to high 80s. anything in the 90s would be a bad round.

My swing is about a 6 or 7 in consistency

4. What is the problem w/ the existing set up?

My problem is that I hit the ball way too low. I also feel like my shaft is a bit too flexible. When I swing a little harder, I feel like I lose control.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?)

I just got fit on a Trackman machine. I don’t know what my numbers were for my old FT-3 but the numbers for the R9 were:

Swing Speed: approx 110mph (I did not see this number but on other monitors its usually around this number)

Launch Angle: approx 9*

Ball Speed: approx 155 mph

Spin Rate: approx 3100 rpm

Smash: approx 1.49

Swing Path: outside-in

Attack Angle: steep

Hit the ball higher. Hit more consistently.

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? Where?

My misses always are slices. If I don’t hit center, I usually toe it.

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?

Penetrating medium to low ball flight. Slight slice or slight cut shot.

I am used to heavily wooded courses. Varied conditions. I am from NYC and play in the NY metro area a lot.

I don’t know about body posture but I am 5’10” and about 260lbs.

11. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?

Recently my swing has looked Furyk-esque. I have been exaggerating my takeaway to the outside to almost force myself to swing inside-out on my downswing. I would love to have a swing like DLIII or Adam Scott.

Any help would be appreciated!

Answer: The way i see it, you might even need more that 10.5* driver and i'm not sure why 46" set up with your type of swing and inconsistency. I hope you didn't pay for that fitting. Definitely need work on your swing with the right swing pro.

Adams 9015D 9.5 Loft, Oban Revenge 7 05 (x Flex), D3, Length 45

Medium Quick Tempo, Medium to Heavy Loader

Handicap 2, Ball Striking 8 out of 10

Low Launch, High Spin

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST!

Trackman; Swingspeed 103 to 106; Launch Angle - 9 and 10 degress, Ball Speed 151 to 154; Spin Rate 2800 to 3200; Swing Path 1.0 to 1.5 in to out; Attack Angle 0.5 negative to 0.5 positive

Decrease Spin,Increase Launch and Increase Distance

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where?

Hitting the ball high on the clubface

Slight right to left draw

Firm conditions, play in the wind. Live in Dallas, Texas.

Athletic, stocky build, 5'7", strong upper body

Not sure who my swing looks like. Working on swing club a little shorter on backswing - Appelby, Immelman

I think the Oban Revenge is not the right shaft. From my irons I have determined that the Project x 6.5 is the best option in terms of distance, dispersion, spin etc.. Thinking out loud but should I be looking at a driver shaft that is more tip and butt stiff, like the PX in the irons. I do have an interest in the Oban Devotion, Project X graphite shafts. I would appreciate your input.

Thanks,

Lawrence

Answer: Get your self a higher lofted with higher kick point stiffer tip shaft, especially you need a X flex for control. The loft number on the club sole is the last thing you need to worry other than trying to get an ideal trajectory for maximum potential.

1. What is the club existing set up?---- r7 Limited 9.5 with stock ozik 5.5 stiff

2. What type of swinger are you------ ( smooth ) Loading factor on your swing? I would have to think im a light loader?

3. What is your handicap ---11.5 as low as 9 -----and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?currently 6-7

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? Ball is very High but maybe that is a good thing?

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? No

Golfsmith hitting Screen.

Launch Angle-- 14-15

s.s 95-100

carry 215-225

On the Golf course Im driving the Ball about 240 250. Which is about 15-25 yards less than I used to hit the ball

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? ------Should I be playing a different shaft. i had a green nv65 i used to like.

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? ------I tend to hook the ball My misses are starting to become high week pushes to the right. Best success was with a Burner tp 9.5 witha stock graphite design shaft in stiff It wasnt to hookey and ball flaight seemed better. Do you have a problem missing a shots on the face of the club? A little high on the face lately

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? -----I like the old slight draw that I had a long time ago with the nv65 stiff. orig r7 9.5 weiths up front.

10. Body build and postures? height? etc. 5-11 180 pounds stans farily upright. atheletic

11. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? LOL People say Sean O'Hair I wish I could swing Like Freddy C. Give up on that.

12. etc. The more the better it become. Maybe its my golf swing. Im sure part of it is. I bought the r9 and took it back because I was 20 25 yards shorter than my old 07 burner tp I mentioned earlier. I wound up with this. Im considering taking it back and getting the R7 limited tp 10.5 with Diammana white stiff. Is that to much shaft for me. I had a graffaloy blue stiff and I hated it. I hit crazy linedrives with that thing. Always played 9.5 heads. I suck and im getting frustrated. Want to swing at the ball again.

Any Help out there?

Thanks Very Much

Answer: Not enough info here. But IMO you do need to try the same loft with a higher kick point and stiffer tip such as you've mentioned : white board

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) King Cobra S91 Pro D- Matrix Ozik Con 6 Stiff

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? Not sure about my tempo, I would think I am a heavy loader

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability? Handicap=8 Consistency=7 Striking ability=6

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? Hit it a bit too high, seems though I have lost 10 yards or so as well

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST! Swing speed=102 Ball Speed=155I have a shallow swing path/attack angle

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? More distance and control, more of a boring ball flight

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? Push fade if I am not playing so good. Mishits are off the toe

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? Low-mid launch angle and a slight but noticable draw

9. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? Not sure about this one, west Tennessee

10. Body build and postures? height? etc. Athletic, 5'11, 190 lbs

11. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? Have no clue. Would like for it to become more like Sergio's

12. etc. The more the better it become. Thanks in advance buddy

Answer: Not enough info, but yes it seems you need a lower flatter ball flight...which means lower spin rate too most likely.

Callaway Mavrik 9* Tensei AV Blue 65
Titleist 915FD 15* Rogue S

Ben Hogan 18* Hybrid Aldila NVS-H 85 
Titleist TSR1 23* Accra FX Gen 3-200H M3 

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW KBS Tour 

Vokey Brushed Steel 48/54/60 

Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

A. 909D3 8.5* Harrison Saga 70X 45.25 in. D3

B. 909D3 9.5* Whiteboard 73X 45 in. D3 (Fitting Club: Tipped an inch to play to length)

Medium to quick tempo with medium loading factor

+.1 index; Consistency: 8; Striking ability: 8

A. Launches too low, spin a little too high

B. Launch is perfect but spin is too low

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST!

Both Trackman:

A. 110-115 ss; 9*-10*; 3200-3500; 1.0-1.5 in to out; negative 1-positive 1 attack angle

B. 110-115 ss; 11*-12.5*; 1700-1800; 1.0-1.5; negative 1 - positive 1 attack angle

Launch angle 12*, spin rate 2300-2800, anti left

Usual miss is a draw. With the 73X white board, I wasn't able to turn it over as easily as the Saga being tipped an inch. Some occasional toe misses resulting in more of a draw than usual.

A. Flight is straight to a slight draw with a low to mid trajectory

B. Straight to a slight fade with a mid trajectory

Firm fairways, Colorado

6'1 Athletic with good posture; former college athlete

Was tested on true temper shaft lab and was most similar to Davis Love III.

I have an uncut Fubuki 73X ready to go. I just need some help finding the right set up. I played a 907D2 8.5* Blueboad 63X previous to the 909D3. The blueboard was an x5ct with a 4 in tip section made for the bore through. I tipped this shaft an inch and inserted it full bore into the clubhead from there. With this club my launch angle was 12* and spin rate was 2300-2500. Unfortuately this shaft snapped earlier this year. I haven't had much experience with the Fubuki. Like I stated earlier, I want to be able to build a 909D3 9.5* (or possibly a 10.5* bent open a degree) with the Fubuki and have it launch around 11-12* and have the spin rate between 2200-2800. I simply don't know if I need to tip this shaft or if I should put it straight into an 8.5*. I am leaning towards tipping it a half inch to start and leaving an extra half inch to play with depending on the numbers. I am looking for a little guidance because I'm not sure as to how the technology in the tip section will react to tipping. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so very much for your time. I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

TL

Answer: B set up with 10.5* head or just change the shaft to fubuki should help.

Hi Joe! I'm looking for help picking a new shaft for my Tour Edge Exotics CB2 3W. It currently has a UST V2 Stiff and the club feels very boardy and too stiff for me. As a reference, I've always been put in Stiff shafts (Driver SS ~100) but recently purchased a TM Tour Burner TP 9.5 with the stock Reg flex Fujikura Rombax 75 shaft after demoing it. I hit it med-high with a nice straight penetrating flight. I really like the feel on this setup and would like my 3W to be similar but with slightly higher or climbing flight. So i'm hoping you can suggest a shaft (model, weight, flex, length?) with similar feel to my driver setup that would work in my 3W. I unfortunately don't know the weight of the TEE CB2 head or the swingweight of my driver but it's all stock if that helps. :(

1. TEE CB2 3W 15', UST V2 Stiff, D0 or D1, 42.75 inches I think...

2. Smooth swinger, heavy loader. I have a slightly long swing and a bit of rebound to start the downswing.

3. 14Hdcp. Swing is around a 6 consistency. 6 or 7 with striking. I'm about 50% in fwys hit and GIR. No problem with spin as most irons stick well on the greens. Average distances are fine 7I 150yds Driver 260yds. My biggest problem is alignment/aim .....

4. Too stiff. I have trouble getting the face back to square.

5. No LM session with the 3W club but with my TM driver it was: 100-106mph SS, ~155-160pmh ballspeed, 13-14' launch angle, 2600-3200rpm, flat to +1.5 AoA, straight to slight inside out approach, face 1' open to 1' closed.

6. Enhanced feel. Higher launch. Less dispersion.

7. Most misses are on the heel. Pull Slices/fades.

8. Straight with medium to high trajectory.

9. I play in Chicago land area. No home course but I rarely face hard fairways or super rough.

10. 6'0 200lbs. Athletic build but carrying an extra 10-15 lbs.

11. Ernie Els. Not quite as smooth as the big easy though with just a bit of John Daly "over-swing". I try to be more Els than Daly. :)

12. I'm a little handsy with my release and have a somewhat inside and behind takeaway.

Thanks in advance and for all the great information you share on this site!

Answer: Lower kick point shaft with softer tip design shaft S flex should do the job IMO

Cleveland Launcher (05'?), 8.5*, Graffaloy Red X, standard length and weight?

Probably a quick tempo?

I just recently started recording a handicap, had a few good rounds to put me at a 5, where I would like to stay but ussually play to a 10-12.

You have probably heard this before but I don't like how high I am hitting the ball, my preference is a low boring ball flight

Yes sort of, I had a PING fitting done last season where it was suggested I use the shaft I have now or a Diamana Blue X. My swing is considerably different now than when I had the fitting, I am no longer swinging with a reverse pivot or at least as often. I remember during the fitting being told that the spin with my driver was more in tune with a 7 iron.

A lower ball flight with at least a little roll instead of a hit it and stick it even on dry fairways.

Misses can go from straight pulls to nasty hooks, hitting them off the heel. My reverse pivot was playable last year, not at all this year.

When I am striking the ball well I am not too far off from dead straight.

I am in southern Ontario, spring is wet, summer usually dry, fall can be all over the place.

With the shoes on about 6', 200lbs, very athletic without the physique

Whoa tough one!! Lets say Anthony Kim because of similar body types

Hmmm..... I only use standard length T's probably T'd a little lower than most. Using my Sky Caddie I know I hit my 3 wood 260 with roll ( Callaway Big Bertha, steel shaft) and my driver is carrying 260-280 with very little roll. Before I went with the Graffaloy Red I had the Graffaloy Blue S, I did break that shaft at the tip twice with it also loosening another couple times.

Thanks for the help!!

Answer: I need a complete info!

I think I gave everything you need.. Thanks for your help and I look forward to your thoughts!

Curt

I currently use a g2 with an aldila nv 65-s 350 8.5 loft and closed 2 degrees

Very quick and a heavy load

i am a 15 but its all around the greens and about a 7 out of 10 as far as striking ability

alot of snap hooks even when i hit the ball on the screws. i find myself trying to slow my swing down to compensate for the shaft and get out of sorts and it goes right

I used the zelocity at golf galaxy These are the average numbers from the monitor for the G2 and a G10 prolaunch red xflex 9 degree

G2:

CLUB SPEED 117.9

BALL SPEED 167.1

LA 11.8

BALLSPIN 2680

CARRY 270.2

TOTAL DIST 293.9

PTR 141.8

DEVIATION NO AVERAGE BUT SEVERAL WENT UP TO 5.0L AND A COUPLE WENT 5-6 R

G10 PL RED X:

CLUB SPEED 118.2

BALL SPEED 166.2

LA 12.8

BALLSPIN 2749

CARRY 279.4

TOTAL DIST 304.2

PTR 140.7

DEVIATION ALL OF THEM WENT BETWEEN 5.6-6.5 R

NORE CONSISTENCY!!! IF I HIT IT ON THE SCREWS IT HAS A TENDENCY TO SNAP HOOK LEFT WOULD LIKE A NICE SLIGHT FADE

IF ITS ME USUALLY I HIT IT TOWARDS TOE AND OPEN UP A BIT AND IT GOES RIGHT

SLIGHT FADE I HIT THE BALL VERY HIGH RIGHT NOW

CHICAGO MAINLY GOOD PUBLIC COURSES COG HILL; CANTIGNY; SEVEN BRIDGES

DRIED OUT IN THE SUMMER NO ROLL IN THE SPRING

6' 260 GOOD POSTURE

ITS ALOT LIKE GREG NORMAN WHEN HE USED TO STEP ON IT. ALTHOUGH i DONT LOOK LIKE GREG NORMAN!!:)

I'M A BIT CONFUSED WITH THE LAUNCH MONITOR NUMBERS.. THEY WERE VERY SIMILAR WITH ALL THE STATS EXCEPT I GOT 10 MORE YARDS ON THE CARRY AND TOTAL DISTANCE WITH THE G10. DO I STILL NEED TO GET THE BALL SPIN DOWN SOME MORE? iM NOT DEAD SET ON THE G10 BUT IT WAS THE ONLY XFLEX DRIVER THEY HAD IN THE STORE. SHOULD I GO HEAVIER? MAYBE A HIGHER KICKPOINT SHAFT. DIAMANA WHITEBOARD 83X?? HELP!!

Answer: I don't see anything wrong with the number except you need X flex and might even tipped X. Most likely you need to make sure you don't play a club that is to long which you might loose control and consistency.

Not sure if you do shaft suggestions for hybrids, but I'll just use the driver form and see what happens.

1. Tour Edge Exotics XCG, stock shaft (X-Quad), regular flex, standard length. Specs on the shaft are 70g, 3.7t, and mid kp.

2. I have a fairly fast transition, but very little power.

3. Somewhere around a 29 handicap. Fairly decent swing, pretty consistent.

4. I need a much higher ball flight - all the hybrids I demoed went pretty low, and this felt the best so I went with the XCG and decided to upgrade the shaft.

5. No, not with this club. Just purchased it today. Hopefully will have one soon.

6. Higher ballflight, hopefully more distance. Also needs to be accurate.

7. Bad shots tend to either go left, no consistent amount, or the most common mishit is a thin.

8. Straight, with a bit of a fade. Pretty low with this club.

9. Seattle, WA. Tends to be wet in winter, and average to a bit firm in summer.

10. Short and thin. 5'2", 97 lbs.

11. Theoretically, it looks like AK... but other than that, I haven't really watched enough of my swing, and of PGA golf, to make a comparison.

12. Distance is nice, but good ball flight that is straight and lands softly on greens is more important for me atm.

Thanks, and I hope you will do a hybrid fitting! Ideally the recommended shaft wouldnt be too expensive (no 150 dollar hybrid shafts >.<) but still work well for this club.

Answer:

IMO you either need higher loft or go with FW wood type of head and set up. A certain type of hybrid head design will be easier to get the ball up in the air from my experiences.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my first post here at GolfWRX forums, and I would just like to say a big Thank You to all of you who contribute and give advice to those like myselft! I would truly appreciate any and all help/suggestions of anyone here! With that, I am seeking a little help with driver shaft recommendations. I have tried to fill out the questionnaire as completely as possible, but if there are essential things I have left out, please let me know or ask and I'll try to fill in best as I can. And again, THANK YOU VERY MUCH to those taking the time to read and advise for all of us "askers"...

Ping G10, 10.5°, Stock TFC 129 R flex (60g, 45.75", 4.6° torque), D3 swingweight

I would say average tempo to perhaps a little quick. Not sure on load factor, perhaps towards heavy when my tempo is quicker.

I'm somewhere between a 13 and 15 handicap. Recent swing changes have made my swing a little more consistent overall. I would say 7-8 consistency wise.

Ball flight seems too high majority of the time. A hit on the sweet spot tends to balloon slightly, while a lower contact point provides a better ball flight, but less distance. Also, inconsistent ball flight from moderate draw to moderate fade.

I was fitted at Golf Galaxy for the G10 I have. I believe they use a Zelocity system. My swing speed was 98-101 (without warmup, probably a little higher during course play), with an average ball speed of 145.4. Average launch angle was 14.5 with a spin rate of 3087. I am not sure on swing path, attack angle and side spin. I have worked on my swing to have a slightly inside to outside swing path, but don't know any numbers on it.

I would like to lower the ball flight some. I don't tend to get much roll currently. Ball seems to balloon a bit if I go after it a little harder. I would also like to have more consistency in direction. I feel like the current shaft is very whippy and inconsistent, perhaps due to being to soft (but I admit I don't know if this can be a cause or if this is most likely due to a swing flaw).

With recent swing changes, my most common mistake is a fade, but I have occasional draws as well. (probably 60/40 split, for fade/draw). Neither is overly severe, usually still in play in the rough. I don't typically miss shots on the face, but when I do, it's usually slightly to the toe and leads to a little bit of a push/fade.

When I'm hitting my driver well, it is very straight, to perhaps slight fade.

Typical course conditions are a bit firm. I am in central Iowa, so summers can vary greatly from quite a bit of rain, to hot and dry.

I'm 23 years old, 5'11" and 160 lbs. Athletic, played college baseball

Perhaps a little Zach Johnson like after I've tried to flatten my swing plane a bit??? I really don't know, for sure...

My swing is much more consistent than in the past, but results are a little inconsistent. I say the swing is more consistent based on my ball striking which is most often center of the face. I say the results are a little inconsistent, but I need to clarify "inconsistent" a little. My inconsistent means that sometimes I hit a draw, and other times I hit a fade. The overall dispersion from my biggest draw to my biggest fade is less than before I made swing changes, but before, I new I was going to either hit a slight fade, to a big slice. I feel like my swing is very much the same between my draws and my fades, but a very slight tempo or other change means the difference in direction. I feel like this is due to my current shaft perhaps being too flexible (again, I'm not as knowledgeable as most of you so my thoughts could be wrong).

Thank you all again!

-Jacob

Answer: S flex and check your comfort lenght for better contact and swing path. IMO 45.75 is way to long for most players at your skill if you are looking for higher % FW hit.

2016 Taylormade M2 - 10.5°

Ping i20 15°

Mizuno Pro Fli-Hi 2i w/ Tensei CK Pro Blue 70g

Mizuno MP-53 4-PW w/ TT DG X100 Tour Issue

Mizuno T-22 50°

Mizuno T-22 54°

Mizuno T-22 58°

Odyssey Tour Black #9

Hi Joe,

This is the golfinggeek, I had a fitting at Hotstix four years ago at 44 but since that time I have had some injuries to my knees especially to my right knee. How often do you recommend a new fitting for clubs. I was once a 1.6 handicap with lots of consistency. I have extra-stiff mizuno 4-PW with a 5.5 Rifle shaft. I had a little draw to all of them when I purchased them but nothing like the stuff I am seeing now. I can't hit a green from anywhere with my short or long irons. My shots now are more like a bad duck hook.

Any advice,

Golfinggeek

Answer: You definitely need one now IMO

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc )

Titleist 907 D1 with UST R 56grm. shaft.

I try to be smooth, but I have a tendency to get a little quick sometimes. Probably heavy loader.

Hdc. 10. My swing is not very consistent, my striking ability is ok.

On my off days, I loose my drives to the right, either block them of every once i a while a bad slice.

I did get a session a couple of week ago and the pro told me that I need a heavier shaft (76grm), he recommended the same shaft that I have but a heavier model. SS 108 avg. with the new shaft I averaged 13 deg. launch angle and about 1900 spin rate (much better than my 3000 with the current shaft). Swing path was pretty strigth with a little draw.

I would like to get the new R9 460 driver, I hit the R9 420 and I hit the best drives of my llife, a great draw every time (only played 7 holes). Will I get the same results with the R9 460?

Tendency to push the drives to the right or a slice.

Stright to slight draw.

Hot and humid, Indiana.

5'9" 195Lbs. 39 years old.

Justin Leonard.

Should I order the R9 460 with the R9 420 shaft?

answer: I'm not sure if you want 1900 at 13* LA...When you are off, that driver will be a night mare. I can't recommend you what brand to buy with discussing it with you during fitting and looking at the whole thing.

1. Tour Burner 9.5*, stiff, 45" Fujikara Re Ax 60g (stock shaft)

2. Smooth, heavyload

3. 6.0 index, 7consistent swing

4. Looking for a more boring trajectory, balloon some shots

5. No

7. I hit a pull hook on my mishits (usually a result of my swing being too quick)

8. High Flat launch

9. Bent grass fairways, from Chicago so varying weather/course conditions

10. 6'1" 185lbs, athletic build

11. Rory McIlroy

I'm mostly wondering if the new Aldila R.I.P. would be a good match for my game. Any other suggestions would be great as well. Thanks!

answer: Need more info! Read the first post carefully.

• 2 weeks later...

taylor made r9 9.5, stiff, motore 75g

quick tempo, heavy loader

scratch/ professional, 8.5

launch too low

117, 11-13, 165 ball, 4degrees inside, dont know

more carry, higher launch

miss on toe, left

mid launch, small draw

softer, va

thin, athletic, 5-10

look like rory sabbatini, want to look like lucas glover

12. etc. The more the better it become

Answer: I don't see your LA is to low, unless you are a low spinner players too. If that is the case, you just need to change to a softer tip shaft design to give a better LA and spin rate.

Nike SQ5900 8.5 with V2 Stiff flex shaft that is 44.5 inches long.

Quick Tempo and a heavy Loader

I'm a 4 Handicapper, and I'm a very good ball striker but high with the driver and wedges and good penetrating ball flight with irons, hybrid, and fairway woods.

The ball comes off the driver very nice with the trajectory I'm looking for but once it gets to the apex of it's height it seems to really want to driver to the ground. It's almost like at the end of the drive the ball has top spin and it seems as if it really wants to get down on the ground and run. I'm not sure if it's created by too much or too little spin.

SS: 98 to 105 mph; LA: 16 deg; BS: 150 mph; SR: 3080 rpm; AOA: level; Side Spin 350 rpm.

More hang time and thus more carry. Love my ball flight, but with the ball wouldn't just dive out of the sky at it's apex. I've tried higher lofted drivers but it's a losing battle as I start hitting moon balls.

All of my misses are towards the heel. When I'm playing bad my miss is usually a fade, but not a slice (thank god I haven't hit one of those in a while).

Straight with a slight draw at the end, but most of the time just straight.

Soft. Florida.

Bigger guy, wrestled in college. I use an athletic posture. 5'10.

I would say I look like Chad Campbell. I would like to look like Zach Johnson.

Answer: Try an X flex since you are a quick tempo swinger and better than average golfer. Play around with tee height and ball position for better contact.

Driver: Titleist Tsi3 w/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow TX 6.0 
3 Wood: Cobra King Speedzone/HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70

5 Wood: Callaway Mavrik Subzero/Aldila Rogue White 70
Long Irons (4-6): Wilson D7 Forged/DG120TI
Short Irons (7-P): Wilson Staff Model Blade/DG120TI

Wedges (50/54/58): Callaway Jaws MD5 w/TI S200
Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
Ball: Titleist Left Dash

Hey there - I'm looking at a new driver shaft and possibly new iron shafts and wanted to get your opinion. Please see below for my questionaire answers. Thanks for the help.

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc ) [b]TaylorMade Tour Burner TP, 9.5, Fujikura Rombax 75, 45.5"[/b]
2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? [b]Fast swinger, although working on a more moderate tempo, high loading.[/b]
3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability? [b]12, I'd say a 6-7 on consistency[/b]
4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?[b] I hit it extremely high and I also get minimal roll (sometimes none), I also have a hard time getting it to draw, no matter what I do it wants to hit a cut or slice. Also, when I get hitting the ball really poorly it starts to balloon on me.[/b]
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) [b]No, but I've had my swing speed measured in the 112-117 range, although I've been working out hard since then so I'd guess I've gained about 3-5mph since that session.[/b]
6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?[b] I would like a more boring trajectory and to get some roll out on my shots, I'm fairly happy with my carry distances.[/b]
7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? [b]When I'm playing poorly I hit a slice, either starting right and turning hard right or starting left and simply bannaing all the way. When I do miss its sometimes towards the toe.[/b]
8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? [b]When I'm playing well I hit a small draw, but I have a hard time making the driver draw.[/b]
9. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? [b]Nice, manicured course, not too long, not too tight, from the Philadelphia area but moving to Southern Cal in a month or so[/b]
10. Body build and postures? height? etc. [b]6'3", 205, athletic, low body fat, former college hockey player[/b]
11. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? [b]I really don't know if it looks like it but I'd like to look like Anothny Kim[/b]
12. etc. The more the better it become. [b]I was a hockey player in a past life so I have that slapshot-style swing. I have a tendency to hang on and not release the club as much as I should, but I've been working with a pro on that. I hit the ball hard, my average driver carry distance is about 285-290, can regularly poke it 300+, but its basically all carry, I get almost no roll on the driver. When I get going bad my tendency is to pull from the top with my arms instead of starting with my body. My home course isn't too long, so I usually only hit driver 6-7 times a round, sometimes less when I'm having control issues. [/b]

Iron fitting Questionnaire:

1. Do you have a dynamic fitting before? lie angle?[b] Yes, standard[/b]
2. What is the existing set up specs and shaft, etc? Detail please! [b]Mizuno MX-200, 3-PW, standard lie angle, +1", Dynamic Gold S300 shafts[/b]
3. Have you ever been on a launch monitor session? what are the numbers (detail)? what brand of machine? [b]No, but have had 6 iron swing speed measured in the 100mph range[/b]
4. How do you hit them so far? [b]I like them but I do hit them a little high, basically everything from my 5 iron down is drop and stop. At times I have major problems with ballooning ball flight.[/b]
5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem? [b]I would like a little lower ballflight and I would like to get some roll out with the mid-irons (5-7) I would also like to stop spinning back my 9 iron and just have it stop[/b]
6. What do you like to see on your ball flight?[b] A boring straight shot[/b]
7. What is your ball flight tendency on your good golfing day? [b]A soft to medium draw[/b]
8. Which side is your mistake tendency? left or right side? any problem catching the sweet spot? where? [b]Leave it hanging out the the right, usually pretty good with the sweet spot but sometimes miss on the toe[/b]
9. Do you consider yourself a High ball hitter or low ball hitter? [b]High ball[/b]
10. How far you hit a 5 iron on a good no wind day? 5 iron swing speed ( carry distance )? [b]205[/b]
11. What is you measurement on Knuckle to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players [b]36.5[/b]
12. What is your measurement on wrist to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players [b]42[/b]
13. What is your glove size [b]Cadet ML[/b]
14. How tall are you? [b]6'3"[/b]
15. Are you a deep/medium or shallow divot taker?[b] Deep/Medium[/b]
16. Who do you think your swing look like compare to PGA Tour players? [b]I don't really know, but I would like it to look like Anthony Kim[/b]
17. What is your handicap index? From? [b]12, Philadelphia Area[/b]
18. Smooth , medium or quick tempo swing style? How good is your shaft load factor on your down swing? [b]Quick tempo, pretty good load factor

[/b]Thanks for the suggestions

J

Answer: Need more info!