For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

joey3108

[color="#808000"][color="#ff0000"]I'm hoping someone can help me find a good shaft for my driver (or at worst a new driver):

In short, I'm about a 8 hcp, with a good short game and good short iron game but unusually short off the tee (I'm a pretty athletic 26 yr old). I think I could drop my hcp a lot with a few extra yds. Ex: 400 yd par 4, I hit usually 220 yards (weak!!), leaving 180 yds and scrambling for par. If I hit 260-270, leaving 135 yds, I'd be a birdie machine!!
[/color]
[/color]Driver fitting questionnaire:

1. What is the club existing set up?

[color="#ff0000"]Nike SQ 5900 9.5 deg stiff flex, stock diamana shaft[/color]

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )?

[color="#ff0000"]Silky smooth, light loader[/color]

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability?

[color="#ff0000"]8 hcp. I'd rate 8 on consistency?
[/color]
4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?

[color="#ff0000"]I get outdriven by old men and I'm (humbly) a pretty athletic 26 yr old. Drives are usually flying 190-210 in the air, with little to no rollout - maybe 10 yds. Most good drives finish 220 yds.
[/color]
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before?

[color="#ff0000"]Don't know if you can trust them (tested on a so-so LM at the beach last week): SS - 82 to 91 mph. Spin Rate 4500+5000.
[/color]
6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?

[color="#ff0000"]Longer, I'm pretty accurate now.
[/color]
7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where?

[color="#ff0000"]Over the top pulls. Misses on clubface are always toward the heel. However, even good shots are shorter than they should be.
[/color]
8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?

[color="#ff0000"]Great looking trajectory. Usually get a "Wow great drive... oh wait, huh that came up short??"[/color]

9. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?

[color="#ff0000"]Hot South Carolina courses.
[/color]
10. Body build and postures? height? etc.

[color="#ff0000"]6'2'', good posture.
[/color]
11. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?

[color="#ff0000"]Looks like Jonathan Byrd a little (textbook one plane swing), and would like to look more like JB.

Honestly, I'm confused as all getout. I have a very good looking swing (very smooth), but the dern ball wont go anywhere.

HELP!!![/color]Answer: Despite lack on complete info, IMO you need lesson more than just tweaking equipments only. Definitely steep angle of attack to get that much spin rate which kills your distance. Or maybe just simply to much loft or both.

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally I had a chance to answer all the questions.

Sorry for being out of the loop lately. I moved to a new location and the packing and unpacking is to much for me to handle. :)

For serious customers who need my help directly, you can email me to [email protected] and we'll go from there. Please serious customers only for email contact, other than that you can post your questions here and wait until i have free time to answer them.

THX!

Joe

Purchased my current club off ebay and have one round under my belt with it and know that I've got the wrong shaft in it. I bombed my 3 wood consistently longer than my driver. Weird thing is I got a great flight when I demoed the same head with a PL Red Stiff and thought the aura would play very similar but boy was I wrong. I thing the club may have been altered because It feels more like an X stiff. I just dont have the speed to make this shaft perform. I'm looking at getting it reshafted tomorrow most likely with the Graffalloy PL Platinum. Would love to get fellow wrxers expert opinions on what else I should look at.

1. Current club: Ping G10 9* w/ GD Aura Red stiff, 45 inches, 65g

2. What kind of swinger: I would say smooth to medium tempo

3. Consistency of Swing: I would say a 6 or a 7

4. Current problem: Ball does not carries probably 20 yards shorter then my old club. I can tell it does not have enough spin because it drops out of the sky but runs forever

5. Been on a launch monitor but with same club only PL red shaft, 86mph SS, 126 BS, 16*LA, 199 carry, Spin around 2500

6. What do I want: More carry yards and total distance. Mid-High ball flight

7. My tendency is to hit a low pull hook and when I miss the center it is usually towards the heel

8. When I'm playing good I typically hit a baby draw.

9. I play out of Fresno, Ca. Average cousre conditons not real wet, not real dry.

10. Body build: 5'10", 154lbs, lean with a little muscle

11. My swing looks like: I would probably say TW (seen side by side comparison) when I'm working with my instructor and John Daly when I'm playing on the course (big problem saying connected)

12. I am pretty athlectic and workout daly but get outdriven by my peers by 30 yards. At 22 years of age and a decent height I feel like I've had plenty of time to grow and 230 yds is way short of where I should be. Played a little in high school and have made vast improvements in my ballstriking thanks to work with a PGA pro. In terms of shaft feel I seem to be partial to Graffaloy and dont like the feeling of an excessively whippy tip. I don't like a boardy feeling shaft either.

Answer: Go back to the LM with a lower lofted head and get a complete data

Hi Joe,

Recently went to Golf Galaxy to hit a few balls on the launch monitor. Based on my numbers, and results I'm wondering if I've got the right set up?

1. Current club: TM R7 Limited 9* R flex, length/lie standard

2. What kind of swinger: Smooth

3. Consistency of Swing: 7-8 out of 10

4. Current problem: LM says I have a 13* launch angle, but on the course it seems much higher... 3200 rpms causing it to balloon?

5. SS 98-102, ball speed 150-158, carry 225-230, total 250-255

6. What do I want: a boring trajectory, with more carry and roll

7. My tendency is to hit it high and straight, with an occassional fade

8. When I'm playing good, straight as an arrow.

9. I play in Virginia. Most courses are bermuda, firm and fast (when it's not raining).

10. Body build: 6'1", 189lbs, medium/muscular

11. My swing looks like: Phil, we're both lefties, and I'm aggressive on the downswing

12. I'm a 10 handicap and dropping, I have a solid short game, saving par when missing greens is not rare, but common for me. My problem is I lack confidence in my long irons and feel I could score more consistently if I could add length to my drive. I've worked hard the past several months to increase my strength and flexibility, my SS was in the high 80's before I got serious about working out. The pro I worked with on the LM said with my SS I could see drives over 270. I plan to continue working out, continue increasing my SS, I know the R flex in my current shaft will likely hold me back, that's why I'm asking what shafts should I consider now and possibly later as I continue improving???

Thanks in advance,

ANSWER: Try a S flex

[color="#000000"]1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )[b] 9.5 Nike Sumo 5000. stock stiff proforce v2 shaft 66g. i think its 45 inches- whatever stock length is on the nike[/b]
2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? [b]I between mid to quick on my swing. same on the loading factor[/b]
3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability? [b]4.5 handicap. don't miss the center very much. probably an 8[/b]
4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? [b]I launch it super high with almost no roll[/b]
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM [/color][color="#000000"](flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)?[/color][color="#000000"] ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?)[/color] [color="#ff0000"][color="#000000"]
[b]Vector pro lm. ss 98-104. launch angle is around 17.8 ball speed is around 150. spin rate is around 3850. swing path is in to out. attack angle is slightly up into the ball. side spin varies[/b]
6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? [b]lower more penetrating ball flight and much lower spin[/b]
7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? [b]tendency is to leave the clubhead open through impact[/b]
8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? [b]baby draw[/b]
9. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? [b]from PA. conditions vary depending if we have lots of rain or not. course is usually in great shape. donald ross design.[/b]
10. Body build and postures? height? etc. [b]5'9" 132. in good shape. im gonna be a senior in hs[/b]
11. What is your glove size? need size estimate even if you don't use glove. [b]med.[/b]
12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? [b]tiger woods... honestly its gotta be Hunter Mahan[/b]

im not looking to change to a new driver if i dont have to. really just looking for a new shaft that will give me the lower ball flight and spin which will translate to more distance. thanks.[/color]
[/color]

ANSWER: Definitely try a lower loft with stiffer tip shaft design and if possible build them in a sub flex.

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )
[b]Titleist 909D2, 9.5*, Titleist Voodoo S, stock length[/b]
2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader?
[b]Pretty quick[/b]
3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability?
[b]I'm a scratch golfer, and with every club but the driver I'm at a 8 or around there.[/b]
[b]I can't seem to get a consistent ball flight. I hit it pretty straight, no fade/draw, but it goes different heights and I find myself fighting to keep it straight. maybe swing related or maybe not. before i grew I was hitting it dead straight, but in the last few years my swing speed has gone from maybe 95 to 110 maybe.[/b]
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST!
[b]swing speed: around 105-110, Launch angle: 10-14, Ball speed: maybe 150, about that?, spin rate: 2500-3000
other than that I couldn't tell you, those numbers are from memory.
[/b]6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?
[b]more consistent ball flight[/b]
7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where?
[b]block, hook[/b]
8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?
[b]Medium height, 2-3 yard draw
[/b]9. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from?
[b]theyre different a lot of the time[/b]
[b]5'9" 120lbs, shrimp haha
[/b]
11. What is your glove size? need size estimate even if you don't use glove.
[b]med cadet[/b]
12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?
[b]
hopefully this helps...... [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbxKyAintsY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbxKyAintsY[/url][/b]

thanks!

Answer: slightly heavier shaft at 44.75" set up at D2 with a stiffer tip design shaft and build them Sub flex (SX Flex) or soft X will give you a better consistency.

[i]1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )
[/i][b]Cleveland HiBore XLS, 9.5*, Stock Yellow Fujikara Cleveland Shaft, Stiff flex.[/b][i]
2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader?
[/i][b]Slightly quick tempo, moreso on the bad swings. Heavy loader for sure.[/b][i]
[/i][b].5 Hcp, driver swing is around 6 consistency, with decent ballstriking but my misses are wayyyy too extreme.[/b][i]
[/i][b]Too inconsistent, misses are way too bad. I tend to have issues with either not getting around and leaving the club open leading to push fades or smothering the ball for a low hook. Never had these extreme misses on my drives until recently.[/b][i]
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?)[b]These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST!
[/b]My SS is 105-110 with a smash factor generally in the mid 1.4's.
[/i]More consistency, more playable misses. Lower spin would definitely be nice.[i]
[/i][b]Above, push slice or smother hook. I have a tendency to miss slightly to the toe side of the face.[/b][i]
[/i][b]Slight draw, generally starting along the right edge of the fairway moving to the middle.[/b][i]
[/i][b]Southern California, typically courses with medium sized fairways, very very penal on misses, and medium length but not long enough for distance to be an issue. The main thing is that I miss very badly once in a while, and these courses do NOT let me get away with it.[/b][i]
[/i][b]5'10", 140 lbs., wiry build with good posture and flexibility.[/b][i]
[/i][b]Dont use one, but my hands are medium glove-sized.[/b][i]
12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?
[/i][b]Currently closest to Tim Clark with the extreme leglift and release through impact, although I'd like it to be closer to Rory Mcilroy since the quicker tempo tends to be my downfall.[/b][i]
13. etc. The more the better it become.[/i]
[b]Ideally I would like a shaft offering maximal control and feel, with distance being of much less importance. From what I've seen, the Diamana Blueboard and BB Solutions 130 seem to be intriguing options. I'd rather not spend any more than 100$ on the shaft though, with 150$ being the ceiling barring any shaft I may completely fall in love with. I think a very low torque shaft is fitting for me too, since my misses generally result from tempo being too quick, and I would like a shaft that won't accentuate these misses further due to an overly high torque. I can actually feel the club flexing too much and losing it on the downswing on many of my misses....not a good sign. [/b]

[b]Thank you![/b]
Answer: I need a complete LM data.

I need some help with shaft selection.

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc ) [b]Callaway FT9 Tour, Mitsubishi Fubuki 63 S Flex, 45 inches[/b]

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? [b]Smooth tempo, heavy loader[/b]

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability?[b] 12 handicap. Swing is 7-8 on consistent scale. Good ball striker. [/b]

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? [b]I hit it sky high and if I get after it I lose it high and right. My ball plugs in the fairway. Shaft feels flimsy. I have always hit XFlex but with this it is an S Flex.

[/b]5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? [b]Yes [/b]What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) [b]These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST!Flightscope, 110-115 swing speed, attack angle is steep. I can't remember the other numbers or answers.
[/b]
6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? [b]I want a more boring trajectory with more roll out and a tight shot dispersion.

[/b]7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? [b]If I miss I miss towards the toe in center or on the bottom heel. I tend to hook the ball if I am not playing so good. With this club I have been leaving it right and high only about 220. [/b]

8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? [b]High boring trajectory with slight draw or slight fade (10-15 yards each)

[/b]9. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? [b]Dry to Average. Central Alabama. [/b]

10. Body build and postures? height? etc. [b]Large Frame. Upright posture. I do have a problem of leaning down into the ball. I am 6'5" and weigh 290. I have played baseball and football my whole life. Broad shoulders. Athletic build. Played D1 football. I guess I am trying to say I am not a barrel or beer gut and am athletic. [/b]

11. What is your glove size? need size estimate even if you don't use glove.[b] XL in Footjoy sta soft[/b]

12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?[b] Don't know who it looks like but friends have said Fred Couples. I would like it to be like Ernie Els. Sure do not play like either. [/b]

13. etc. The more the better it become. [b]I have played for 5 years. The lowest handicap I have held is 6. I had not played in a year and a half until this year and play once a week and practice once a week. I used to hit the Taylor Made R7 with stock Reax X flex and hit it high but more boring than my current club. I am a big strong guy and most shafts feel flimsy. [/b]

Answer: I need compete LM data!

Driver fitting questionnaire:

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )
[b]R9, 10.5*, stock shaft, regular flex, don't know swingweight (haven't changed it, so probably whatever is standard) standard length.[/b]
[b]Quick tempo, but light loader because I have low swing speed (80-85)[/b]
[b]25 handicap. Good ball striker, with my driver probably 7-8.[/b]
[b]Good launch, might be lowered a bit, but I need more spin. Compared to better players, my ball flight basically just goes up then drops, where good player's ball flight rises, then gradually falls.[/b]
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST!
[b]80 mph, 17* launch, 100 something ball speed, around 2000-3000 spin rate, in to out swing path, maybe a bit flat attack angle due to naturally flat swing. Dont remember sidespin, but my general miss is a push right.[/b]
[b]Better ball flight for more distance.[/b]
[b]Mistakes tend to be a push right or a very high fade, depending on the day I either miss high or low on the face. Recently it has been low.[/b]
[b]Straight down the middle, possibly a slight fade.[/b]
[b]Varies depending on time of year. Very wet in winter, pretty firm in summer. I'm from Bainbridge Island, WA. Right near Seattle.[/b]
[b]Short and skinny. 5'2, 100 lbs.[/b]
[b]I'm somewhere between a ladie's large and a men's cadet small, I use a ladie's large atm.[/b]
[b] I don't resemble any player on tour physically, but in terms of swing, I have a very flat swing, so probably AK.[/b]
13. etc. The more the better it become.
[b]If possible, I'd like to keep the cost of a used shaft pretty cheap. Thanks![/b]
Answer: I would worry more on building a good foundation on your swing at this point.

[quote name='jhoffman27' post='1843570' date='Jul 26 2009, 12:27 AM']Hey there - I'm looking at a new driver shaft and possibly new iron shafts and wanted to get your opinion. Please see below for my questionaire answers. Thanks for the help.

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc ) [b]TaylorMade Tour Burner TP, 9.5, Fujikura Rombax 75, 45.5"[/b]
2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? [b]Fast swinger, although working on a more moderate tempo, high loading.[/b]
3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability? [b]12, I'd say a 6-7 on consistency[/b]
4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?[b] I hit it extremely high and I also get minimal roll (sometimes none), I also have a hard time getting it to draw, no matter what I do it wants to hit a cut or slice. Also, when I get hitting the ball really poorly it starts to balloon on me.[/b]
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) [b]No, but I've had my swing speed measured in the 112-117 range, although I've been working out hard since then so I'd guess I've gained about 3-5mph since that session.[/b]
6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?[b] I would like a more boring trajectory and to get some roll out on my shots, I'm fairly happy with my carry distances.[/b]
7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? [b]When I'm playing poorly I hit a slice, either starting right and turning hard right or starting left and simply bannaing all the way. When I do miss its sometimes towards the toe.[/b]
8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? [b]When I'm playing well I hit a small draw, but I have a hard time making the driver draw.[/b]
9. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? [b]Nice, manicured course, not too long, not too tight, from the Philadelphia area but moving to Southern Cal in a month or so[/b]
10. Body build and postures? height? etc. [b]6'3", 205, athletic, low body fat, former college hockey player[/b]
11. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be? [b]I really don't know if it looks like it but I'd like to look like Anothny Kim[/b]
12. etc. The more the better it become. [b]I was a hockey player in a past life so I have that slapshot-style swing. I have a tendency to hang on and not release the club as much as I should, but I've been working with a pro on that. I hit the ball hard, my average driver carry distance is about 285-290, can regularly poke it 300+, but its basically all carry, I get almost no roll on the driver. When I get going bad my tendency is to pull from the top with my arms instead of starting with my body. My home course isn't too long, so I usually only hit driver 6-7 times a round, sometimes less when I'm having control issues. [/b]

Iron fitting Questionnaire:

1. Do you have a dynamic fitting before? lie angle?[b] Yes, standard[/b]
2. What is the existing set up specs and shaft, etc? Detail please! [b]Mizuno MX-200, 3-PW, standard lie angle, +1", Dynamic Gold S300 shafts[/b]
3. Have you ever been on a launch monitor session? what are the numbers (detail)? what brand of machine? [b]No, but have had 6 iron swing speed measured in the 100mph range[/b]
4. How do you hit them so far? [b]I like them but I do hit them a little high, basically everything from my 5 iron down is drop and stop. At times I have major problems with ballooning ball flight.[/b]
5. What do you want to see it change/what is the problem? [b]I would like a little lower ballflight and I would like to get some roll out with the mid-irons (5-7) I would also like to stop spinning back my 9 iron and just have it stop[/b]
6. What do you like to see on your ball flight?[b] A boring straight shot[/b]
7. What is your ball flight tendency on your good golfing day? [b]A soft to medium draw[/b]
8. Which side is your mistake tendency? left or right side? any problem catching the sweet spot? where? [b]Leave it hanging out the the right, usually pretty good with the sweet spot but sometimes miss on the toe[/b]
9. Do you consider yourself a High ball hitter or low ball hitter? [b]High ball[/b]
10. How far you hit a 5 iron on a good no wind day? 5 iron swing speed ( carry distance )? [b]205[/b]
11. What is you measurement on Knuckle to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players [b]36.5[/b]
12. What is your measurement on wrist to floor with shoes on? LH for RH player vice versa on LH players [b]42[/b]
13. What is your glove size [b]Cadet ML[/b]
14. How tall are you? [b]6'3"[/b]
15. Are you a deep/medium or shallow divot taker?[b] Deep/Medium[/b]
16. Who do you think your swing look like compare to PGA Tour players? [b]I don't really know, but I would like it to look like Anthony Kim[/b]
17. What is your handicap index? From? [b]12, Philadelphia Area[/b]
18. Smooth , medium or quick tempo swing style? How good is your shaft load factor on your down swing? [b]Quick tempo, pretty good load factor

[/b]Thanks for the suggestions

J

Answer: Need more info![/quote]

Well I was finally able to get on a launch monitor at a Bridgestone Ball Fitting today, so I hope this additional info will be helpful. I took about 30-35 swings with my Driver, ranging from on course solid temp to absolutely trying to kill the ball. Here's the data I got SS Range: 115.6-122.1 Avg SS: 117.3 Ball Speed Range 167.2 - 174.4 Avg Ball Speed: 169.4 Launch Angle Range: 11.8 - 17.5 Avg Launch Angle: 15.4 Spin Rate Range: 3000 - 4500 Avg Spin rate: 3429. Obviously I'm launching the ball too high and with too much spin, I know I need a new driver shaft, particularly when I try to step on it. From the looks of things, I could definitely improve my smash factor as well. As usual, I was fighting a cut, but when I was hitting it right I was able to turn over a nice tight draw. Hope this is enough extra information.

Answer, Try a lower loft on a LM and give me the numbers as complete as possible.

1. Callaway FT-5 tour neutral, 9.5, stiff, weight is 68grams, not sure of length but ordered through my local golf store. oh shaft is fujikura e360.
2. try to be smooth but can get a little quick. heavy loader
3. handicap is a 9, 7 on swing consistancy. striking is decent
4. to much spin on ball and unless i swing really smooth will hit ball all over the face.
5. no launch monitor session. swing speed is over 100. can drive 300 yards every know and then.
6. straighter drives
7. snap hooks, and occasional high push. most misses are on the toe
8. tight draw
9. good condition, Northeast Louisiana(monroe)
10. 5'-11'', 250#'s, good posture
11. med. large
12. nick faldo
13. Have a good smooth swing and think that a more stable shaft that is spined and not loopy at the tip will help me straighten and make my drives longer.
6. straighter drives

Answer: Need LM data

Titleist TSi3 Oban Devotion 04
Titleist 910F UST Mamiya Black

Titleist 910H UST Mamiya Red
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
Ping Kushin 4
Titleist Pro V1

Newbie here in need of some shaft suggestions.

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) [b]These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST![/b]

1. Off-the-shelf Ping G10 with TCF 129D R-flex.
2. Smooth but aggressive swing, light loader.
3. Around a 20 handicap, ballstriking is probably about a 6.
4. I feel like I have to swing in slow-motion to keep from slicing or pushing everything. My "normal tempo" misses are pushes & slices, my "slow tempo" misses are pulls.
5. Only the LM at Golf Galaxy (can't recall the name). My swing speed was between 90 and 95 MPH.
6. I'd like lower spin and fewer misses to the right.
7. When I play poorly I hit pushes and/or slices. Mishits are mostly off the toe.
8. When I play well I hit my drives fairly straight (sometimes with a slight fade) to around 260-270.
9. I'm from Charlotte, NC. Lots of hilly terrain at my local course. 6 of the tee shots are a disaster if you push/slice.
10. 6', medium build, moderate flexibility, average to slightly upright posture.
11. Medium large glove size.
12. Tough one. I'm probably closest to Vijay Singh, although I don't get nearly the shoulder turn he does.

Answer: Need complete LM data

Hey Joe, Thanks for this great topic!

I am looking for a new driver that I can hit a bit easier. To really use the current one at it's best I sometimes have to hit a bit to hard. I don't need distance, just more reliability.

[b]1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )[/b]
Callaway X tour, 9.5 degrees.
Fujikura tour platform 26.3 s-flex 350 tip. 45inch
Stock swing weight
[b]2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader?[/b]
Smooth swinger, probably medium loader.
[b]3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability?[/b]
Single handicap, +8 rounds
[b]4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?[/b]
I need to force a little to much with this shaft to get to it's optimum performance.
[b]5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST! [/b]
Once had the swing speed measured, it was high around 120m/h, maybe I want this a fraction slower, depending on the shaft.
[b]6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?[/b]
I want to use my natural swing on the driver, it's smoother than my current driver forces me. Maybe I need a longer shaft and heavier club head to compensate...
[b]7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where?[/b]
If something happens it's mostly a timing issue, the ball flight is still straight on mishits but takes of left or right. Never fade, only draws and hooks on really bad strokes.
[b]8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good?[/b]
it's dead straight and high, i really like it and it's long but the risk factor on this shot is a bit to high in my current game because I have to swing outside the natural rhythm. I am going to quick to get the shaft to flex at the right moment.
[b]9. What type of course condition you are playing most? Where are you from? [/b]
europe, windy courses
[b]10. Body build and postures? height? etc.[/b]
6foot9, (2m06 we say over here) 28 years old, rather flexible and semi strong.
[b]11. What is your glove size? need size estimate even if you don't use glove.[/b]
xl
[b]12. If you have to be honest, who your swing look like on PGA tour? at least who do you like it to be?[/b]
A slightly lighter version of Ernie Els.
1[b]3. etc. The more the better it become.[/b]
Not sure if this is usefull: I've tried some stock drivers like the r7 limited from taylor made. With that dark red shaft in stiff flex, (I hope you know what I mean since I am not sure on the shaft brand.) Another stiff flex from aldila (light bright green) 75grmas s flex felt a bit better but to flexy.
So it seems most stock s flex shaft seem a bit to light/flexy while I can't really get it relaxed with my current fijikura shaft.
I can hit it 300 yards and 75% of the drives go well but I feel I can get it better with a slightly 'softer' shaft (don't need it lighter just softer..) so I can turn a bit slower to match my timing, so really reliability.

Any advice would be great!
Quinten
Answer: Need a complete LM Data

Howdy All,

I have a shaft question for you on my driver and 3 wood.
Here are the answers to Joey's questionnaire, FYI:

1. What is the club existing set up? TaylorMade R9TP 8.5*, Fuji Motore F1 75 g, the length is whatever comes standard from TM, as is the swing weight

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? smooth swing fairly heavy loader

9 handicap, swing is fairly consistent with occasional "dip" of head and over the top move. Ball striking is good and swing always ends up back on plane before impact.

problem is good contact only produces drives of 260yrds with misses around 245 when previous driver (907D2 with 757 speeder tour spec stiff) produced 295+ drives and 275 misses.

see previous message with all the LM details.
Ball speed: 153
Clubhead speed: 108
Launch Angle: 11.2 degrees
Backspin: 3990
Sidespin: 779
Distance: 265 carry
Swing Path: -3 degrees
Azimuth: 1.3 degrees
Face Angle: 2.4 degrees
Face Impact: Center to Center/Heel
Flight time: 7.7 sec
Max Height: 42.4 yards
Off line: 38.0 yards average (right misses)

The same question for shafts applies to my R9 3 wood. I have the Motore 70g shaft and have lost 25yards on my shots. Here are the LM specs for the 3 wood:
Ball speed: 143
Clubhead speed: 101
Launch Angle: 14.2
Backspin: 4769
Sidespin: 155
Distance: 239
Swing Path: -4 degrees
Azimuth: -3.2 degrees
Face Angle: -3.0 degrees
Face Impact: Center (1 out of 10 hits was heel, 9 others were center)
Flight Time: 7.7 sec
Max Height: 47.8 yards
Off line: -7.2 yards (mostly pulls with only 2 right misses out of ten shots, both right misses were 7.0 yards)

I want my distance back and would like more consistent misses--my standard miss is a big slice right and I want my misses to provide less sidespin/slice.

slice is my miss and my miss on the clubface is always in the heel.

ballflight when playing well is straight with slight fade

fairly dry/smooth course conditions at Andrews Air Force Base. I am from Alexandria, VA

Athletic build, 6'3" with good posture. Golf posture at address is straight spine with good athletic posture

Men's Cadet Large

Unfortunately Jim Furyk when my hitch creates the over the top swing. I would like it to look more like Ernie Els, smooth and long swing

Inaccuracy with my woods is a major weakness in my game. I just want a shaft that will help with my consistency. I generate a lot of backspin and even back up fairway woods and drivers.

Any suggestions you could provide me would be very helpful!!! Thanks!

Answer: Definitely work on your swing path. Need to shallow your swing down to reduce that Spin and we'll see by then what will change on your LA.

Hey Joey, I thought I'd finally give this a try. Lately I've been trying a bunch of stuff and not really getting good results.

[color="#ff0000"]driver: Taylormade R580XD TP, 9.5*, Grafalloy CompNT 65g stiff, D3, 45 inches
3 wood: Taylormade Vsteel 13* Tour issue, Grafalloy ProLaunch blue 75g, D3, 42.75 inches[/color]

[color="#ff0000"]Smooth, not sure about load?[/color]

[color="#ff0000"]I tend to fall into the same fault from time to time where I get my head out in front of the ball and cast or come over the top. I'm getting better at fixing this when it happens as my handicap comes down but it still creeps into my game often.[/color]

[color="#ff0000"]handicap been hovering at about 8 for last 5 months. consistency, maybe a 7[/color].

[color="#ff0000"] My driver and 3 wood have been in the bag for over 5 years now so I worry that this stuff is getting obsolete. A little of the same of my swing faults that I have been working on for about a year. As you will probably see from my LM numbers. I'm working to get my swing plane and face angles more on plane and coming more from the inside and letting my hands turn over instead of holding on with a closed clubface. So when I get my changes in-sync, both the loft on my driver and 3 wood do not work well. My ball flight is too low. So I've been searching for more loft in both. I've kinda settled on a few heads that I like I guess. I've been going through shafts to find something that works with these heads.
So far I've tried with my driver Tour Issue 08 burner with 10.4 loft.
Matrix xcon 6 stiff, a bit too soft
matrix xcon 5 x and tipped 1 inch, too inconsistent
GD Tour AD Quad 65 stiff and tipped .75, shorter than current setup and very spinny on misses
grafalloy compnt 65 just like my current setup. Don't know but this did not feel the same and it was much shorter.
other heads that I've tried recently
I also tried a tour issue superquad 282 with compnt 65 and I was all over the place with that.
r9 with matrix hd6. That was pretty solid but distance was about the same and my miss was always hard left.

None of these setups while giving me the higher ball flight I'm looking for was as constantly as long as my current setup even with the low ballflight! Realistically I probably drive the ball on average right about 245-255 95% of the time. Occasionally I can get something out near 290-300 when all the stars line up. I'd love to push that average into the 275 range. I would love to find a grafalloy shaft that works well for me as I seem to always have decent results with those but if something else fits, it fits.

In my 3 wood, I've moved to a 15* v steel tour issue and so far I've only tried an xcon 7 stiff tipped .5 inches and it was too soft.

currently I have a fuji banzai stiff in there for a day now. I hit it this morning and it was just so so. going to give this a few more outings to decide. I'm not too concerned about distance with this one, I just want something with a higher ball flight that will give me the chance to land something on the green on par 5's and not come in so low and hot.[/color]

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?) [b]These numbers has to come from the existing club or the club that you are trying to fix or buy. IMPORTANT & A MUST![/b]

[color="#ff0000"]trackman numbers from July of 2008
avg swing speed: 104
avg launch angle: 9.7
avg ball speed: 147.1
avg spin rate: 3540
avg swing path: -4.7
avg attack angle: -4.8
avg smash factor: 1.42[/color]

[color="#ff0000"]
Higher ball flight, more distance, straighter with less fade.[/color]

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good?

[color="#ff0000"]Pull fades.[/color]

Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where?

[color="#ff0000"]almost always in the heel[/color]

[color="#ff0000"]mid to high slight draw with entire bag and a slight fade with my driver. With my current setup, I can draw almost every club in my bag pretty easy, driver is the one club that I have a hard time hitting a draw.[/color]

[color="#ff0000"]conditions really varied. Of my 2 home courses, the conditions are very different. One is hard and firm and the other is bit soft.

Sacramento, CA and Davis CA. [/color]

[color="#ff0000"]5'11'' 210lbs, barrel chested. Peter Lonard type.
Athletic 41 years old. Gym 4 to 5 days a week and during the summer I practice about 4-5 hours a week with 1-2 rounds of 18 holes. [/color]

[color="#ff0000"]Medium large.[/color]

[color="#ff0000"]I always hear that I have a nice smooth swing with smooth tempo from my playing partners. The instructor at my LM session said my swing was similar to Brett Wetterich. I don't think I swing that hard though. I think he just meant his swing/face path. Players I like myself I'd say Peter Lonard, Chad Campbell and Aaron Baddely are some swings I like. When I'm playing well, my swing falls in there somewhere.[/color]

Answer: Work on your swing path to not come to steep to the ball and realese the club to let the loft work for you. Try higher loft club definitely.

Thanks a million
David

Titleist TSr3 8* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6
Titleist TSr3 15* Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 7
Sonartec MD 19* Fujikura Banzai
MacGregor Pro-M 4-P S300
MacGregor MT-Pro 52.6*, 56.12*, 58.10 bent to 59*
Scotty Cameron California Series Del Mar

Hi Joey,
Need your help to pick a Shaft to lower the spin.
Do you think that MP-600 9.5* head is a keeper?
I don't mind going with heavier shaft in 7x-8x grams range.

Thanks Joe!

[b]MP-600 9.5*, GD Tour AD PT-6 X-Stiff (6x Grams), 45'', D2[/b]

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? [b]Quick Tempo[/b] Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? [b]I'd say Medium[/b]

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? [b]HDCP:12, Swing Consistency: 7[/b]where is your striking ability?

[b]Too much backspin, I get negative roll[/b]

[b]YES, Flightscope.
SS: 110mph
LA: 10-11 Degrees
Ball Speed: 160-162mph
Spin Rate: 3,000-3,300 RPM
Swing Path: Slightly In-to-Out
Attack Angle: No data
Side Spin: approx 300rpm[/b]

[b]Lower spin rate[/b]

[b]Push and fade[/b]

[b]High launch, penetrating ball flight[/b]

[b]Mixture of wet and dry[/b]

[b]5'11'', 170lbs, i do weight training[/b]

[b]24cm[/b]

[b]No idea. But my coach teaches based on Butch Harmon, so i suppose Adam Scott[/b]

Answer: Definitely have some issue with attack angle being steep. Try a higher lofted MP600 with a stiffer tip shaft in at least mid 70 gr...It should help at least consistency.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joe! Would appreciate your help in picking out a new driver head/shaft combo. I am going to Golfsmith on Friday to hit a bunch and get some LM numbers and can post that info afterwards.

My current driver is a "knock-off" of the G10 made by GigaGolf, the P2. It's 10.5d, Harmon Tour CB65 shaft, stiff flex cut to 44"

I would say I am somewhere in between. Was a very quick tempo swinger but very wild and have smoothened it out to somewhere in the middle. If I am on, I am on the smoother side. I am not sure about loading factor (i.e., what it means)

Handicap is a 17.6 down from a 34 at the beginning of the year. Been playing abotu 4 years and finally decided to put in some effort and play once a week. Dramatic improvement. My swing is probably in the 6-7ish range, mostly the same but some extremes in both directions every round.

The driver above is short, high and right. I cannot hit it straight and it is shorter than my 5-wood (G5 "knock-off", proforce gold 75, x-stiff, 42" 18d)

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM?

No but will have one soon at golfsmith.

Straighten it out and more distance. 5-wood can push up to 245 if I nail it, 220-230 on average (measured with GPS) I have hit that driver ONCE over 250, usually it is <220 and many times so high it comes down <200.

For the first 3 years, always a slice. That is now rare but does happen. I hit a slight fade normally and when off it becomes a pull. Not sure about face...

I would say it is medium. Not really low and not really high.

In NC, play mostly on the local muni course which is OK, but as I get better plan to play some of the nicer, longer publics.

Athletic build, 5'11", 180lbs.

M/L

I would love it to be like Ernie Els, I like the idea of swinging smoothly and under control and still getting great distance. I have a tendency to Anthony Kim it though..without nearly as good results. :)

The only info I can add is that I do not hit my 3-wood very consistently. The 3, 5 and 7 woods are all the Ping G5 knock-offs with X-stiff Proforce Gold 75. 3-wood is 43", 15d, 5-wood is 42", 18d and 7-wood is 41", 21d. The 7w and 5w are pretty consistent, 5w generally 220-230, 245+ on a good one and the 7w is slightly less, maybe 210-225 and 235+ on a great one. The 3-wood is rarely longer than the 5-wood and if I really go after it, it is very high and a banana slice. I have been thinking of moving to a Driver/4w combo. I also recently hit a friend's brand new Cobra L5V with the stock Diamana in R flex and it was no longer than my 5-wood either and had a slicey pattern and quite high.

Thanks very much I really appreciate the help and what you do for everyone on this board. I don't post often but lurk alot :)

Answer: Need LM data please!

general
1- at least 3 x a week
2- practice at home course on course 1x wk, range 1 x wk(usually)
3- swing consistency, 8 with irons, 7 with driver

1- cally ft9, 9*, neutral, fubuki 63 stiff, 44", not tipped
2- quick tempo, light load, shallow plane
3- 6 handicap
4- problem, driver shaft too light, spray it, too high launch, hit ground, no roll---irons, too high trajectory, thats it
5- yes, at golf smith in Columbus, ohio(not sure what brand)--ball speed avg-150, club speed avg-104, lauch angle on good hits- 14*, pushes-18*, draws- 13, back spin avg- 3500, side spin on center hits-150, shallow attack angle, path is inside out to straight down line, sometimes get over the top when overswinging. hit my driver.
6- want more boring trajectory, less spraying(left/right), heavier shaft(if you think so), heard higher loft driver or different head would decrease trajectory with low spin high kick shaft?? like to work the ball both ways, want to keep Callaway Head, lie ft9, maybe ft9 tour, or new head coming out (whatever u think), want to get more roll and less back spin..
7- miss on toe usually, block and hook or lose it right occ.
8- ball flight high, no roll or little.
9- ohio, wet in fall/spring, SC in summer, very dry-- Ohio dry also in mid-summer
10- 5'9"-230, broad shoulder, x bodybuilder, decent flexibility, good posture--recently started ex. program for improved game
11- cadet large
12- i like Phil, works the ball both ways,aggressive, i try to learn from him.

thanks joe, i will send iron info later.

[b]Answer:[/b] Try a stiffer tip high kick point shaft with a heavier shaft set up. Missing it on the toe when you hit is telling me that your set up might be to short and make sure your swing weight is right when you shorten it. Midsize grip is almost a must to quite down your wrist action for better control. Your spin rate didn't show me you have a shallow attack angle. You might fix it easier if you got the right shaft...but definitely need to work on it a bit at least.

Hey Joe,
If you find the time to read through all this ... please give me your opinion.
Thanks!

General questionnaire:

How often you play in a month?
Try to play about 8-10 full rounds

How often you practice in a month?
Twice a week

How consistent do you think your swing are in a scale 1-10 ( 10 being the best )? It won't matter good or bad consistency.
7/10

Taylor Made R7 10.5 Aldila NV-S 65, regular length (not the 9.5 i have in my sig, and so far i like that extra degree)
The wilson 3 wood is gone and replaced by a 5-wood, i have a TM R9 3wood underway Fuji Motore stiff shaft (was fitted for this and loved the setup)
Iron setup is in my signature

Quick tempo (not sure what you mean with loader kind)

I'm a 10 hcp (european system) swing in irons is consistent, approaches from within 170 yards are my ability (not taking pitches from side of greens in consideration)

I'm gonna get a new 3 wood (TM R9) and looking for a new driver shaft. Feel like i can't load my current shaft, need to swing it hard.

Trackman data with a Callaway FT 9 10.5 degree (might buy one instead of just a new shaft), draw setup, Fujikura Zcom Six stiff shaft, regular length
It was raining and about 57 degrees.
Ball speed: 142.3mph
Swing Speed: 98mph
Vertical launch: 12.4
Launch spin rate: 3532
Smash fct: 1.4
carry: 194.7m (212.9yds)
Total: 209.8m (229.4yds)
Land angle: 46.9

A horrid slice

Not really, I might hit it a bit thin on the bottom.
I might not always center hit them, but miss em a little towards the shaft but not much.

Draw with irons, straight driver

Live in Belgium, play a well manicured course, but weather is moist during most of the year.
Summers have been good lately with lots of sun. But soil is mostly soft and sandy.
Divots are easy.

I'm 6'2", 175 pounds, a bit overweight, not an athletic body, but in shape (runner)

Medium

I'd love a swing like Ernie or Westwood, no idea whom to compare mine too :-)

[b]Answer: [/b]Your LM data tells me that you deloft at impact due to a steep attack angle. Might want to work on your swing first IMO. If you just want to buy a better set up, I might suggest you to go get your self a 11*-11.5* with a stiffer tip shaft, but without fixing your swing...you'll not gonna maximize your potential.

Hey Joe

I am looking to get a new shaft put in a G10 5 wood. I don't like the TFC 129 that comes with the club. I feel that i spray it with this club and cannot be sure where my mishit will be but love the feel coming off this club head. I play between 16-25 times a month but, now that it's getting colder in delaware that number will deminish some. I hit about 200-300 balls 3-4 times a week. I would say my swing has a 7 out of 10 on consistency have a handicap index of 10.9. Been playing about 2 years.

1. G10 5 wood 18.5 loft TFC stiff cut down to 42 inches for some more accuarcy
2. I am right in the middle on swing and loading in swing
3.I hit alot of shots off the middle of the club but i miss on the toe probably striking the center around 80%
4. My problem is that the shaft doesn't work with me, as most ping shafts just bug me but love the club heads and like the clubs when i put a new one in it.
I like diamana blue in my rapture v2 driver i felt more dialed in and more consistent when i switched. My ping fitter told me to switch blue in my driver because it fit and it can as a custom option and said that i would be wise to get it in all my woods. However my money situtation being a college student(Not Playing on my colleges team not good enough) doesn't really have room for that spending.
5.My swing speed was measured at dicks about 100-105 consistently. I don't know the other numbers because i was demoing up a burner driver. i remember him saying that they where better then average for my swing speed and experience whatever that means.
6. Accuracy so i can dial in my shots so i know better what i am going to do.
7. My problem when i am not playing good is a hook off the toe of the club or very few sometimes block myself sending it right. I usually miss the ball of the toe. I block it because i set the club up slightly on the inside of the center to take care of the toe hit.
8.When i am playing good my ball flight is usually medium high to high flight. With alot of drop dead spin on my irons.
9. I am from delaware in the southern part. It's usually pretty firm in the summer when i gets dry and usually pretty soft on the ground once it rains a good bit. My home course and many courses are full of trees and put a value on the fairway finding accuracy and if you go for par five greens.
10. I am 6 ft 1 in tall, my pro says that i have ususlly good posture, fairly skinny, my pro also jokes that when i am playing well i could pass for Aaron Baddeley minus the stack and tilt. I wouldn't count that as who my swing looks like though, i have done video swing analysis with the pro but never compared myself to any other pro before. If icould swing like someone on tour i would like to swing like fred funk to hit fairways so i could hit greens and two putt make it easy on me.
I have med. med.large gloves

I am just looking for a shaft for my 5 wood and maybe for future woods or hybrids for accuracy and what are your recomendations finding a accurate shaft set up for me.
I woul

[b]Answer: [/b]Cutting it short without checking the specs back is looking for trouble IMO. Did you bring the swing weight to a normal stage? Proper flex and is also a must and not to mention a complete data needed for me to answer your questions.

[b]Titleist 909 D3 8.5, Diamana "for Titleist", S flex, standard length[/b]
[b]I have a quick tempo. At the moment I load light, but am working on putting more load into my swing. It's beginning to work out for me.[/b]
[b]Handicap is currently 8.4. My driver swing is consistent now, I'd give it a strong 8[/b]
[b]I am hitting the ball consistently in the center of the face, but my left and right dispersion is too high. I'm only hitting about 40% of my fairways. I either don't turn the face over and hit a towering slice, or work too hard with my hands and hook it. I'm fine hitting a fade, but I've flattened my swing to get an inside-out patch and that is helping. But my misses are still slicing.[/b]
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?)
[b]Hit my driver at a local Golf Galaxy on their monitor. Numbers I remember because I didn't record them.
Swing Speed: 100-105
Launch Angle: 13-15
Ball Speed: 140-150
Spin Rate: 3300-3700 RPM
Swing Path: Inside out[/b]
[b]Be more consistent and get the ball on a more consistent flight path. I think this shaft hits the ball a touch higher then I would like with high spin balls. I hit the ball high anyway, and was losing a lot of distance in the wind with tour type balls. I want a more penetrating ball flight and more consistency, especially cutting down on my slice miss if possible. [/b]
[b]Misses tend to be slices when it's caused by my swing, ie hands not turning over. My mishits on the club face tend to be out towards the toe, which then hook. [/b]
[b]Working on drawing the ball now, but when I hit it well, my flight is a mid/high fade. Probably 10-15 yds max[/b]
[b]I live in Florida now and it always seems to be windy when I play. Course is wide open, but there is a lot of water on the right. Especially on holes where driving the ball long is a necessity to score well. Most other courses in the area are very tight off the tee. [/b]
[b]6'3, 240 lbs and dropping. I tend to slouch a little at address since I never had proper length clubs until recently.[/b]
[b]I wear an XL in Foot Joy models[/b]
[b]I'd love to have an answer, but I've never seen my swing. I don't pay too much attention to who I look like on the Tour. [/b]
[b]I want to lower my spin mostly and ball flight. Also if there's some way to help turn the club over a little easier without having to totally rework my swing. I hit the ball about 260 consistently and would be much better off if it would be 260 in the fairway.

Thank you.

Andrew
[/b]
[b]Answer:[/b] A higher kick point shaft for sure to bring the launch and spin down with a definitely a midsize or oversize grip, however.....your answers tells me that you might be a wristy player who have a tendency slapping motion at the ball with combination of inconsistent body movement ( not maintaining your spine angle at a proper spot ) will translate a inconsistent shots too. Changing the club set up will definitely make it easier for you to achieve your goals on fixing your swing.

I play about 8 rounds a month.

2 times.

[b]Adams 9015D Matrix 10.5 Regular Flex 44".[/b]

2. 2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader?
[b]I have a smooth tempo. Medium loader of shaft.[/b]

3. 3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability?
[b]Handicap is currently 7. Swing is consistent 8. Ball striking is about an 7.[/b]

[b]I've had this driver a few weeks. My dispersion with it was poor but distance was good when I hit it straight. I hit some left and some right. Normally I have a slight draw. I recently cut the driver down to 44 inches. When I swing at about 75%, I get straight shots at the loss of some distance.[/b]

5. 5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? What brand of LM (flightscope LM is one of my best recommendation)? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, Swing path,Attack angle, side spins, etc?)
<B>

[indent]Golf Galaxy using Zelocity launch monitor.</B>[b]

[/b][/indent][list][*][b]Swing Speed: Avg 96 Range (94-99)
[/b][*][b]Launch Angle: 14.5 (12.2-17.6)
[/b][*][b]Ball Speed: 136 (133-141)[/b][*][b]Spin Rate: 3171 (2910-3616)[/b][*][b]Swing Path: Inside out[/b][*][b]Carry: 219 (211-228)[/b][*][b]Total: 238 (228-247)[/b][/list]6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?
[b]I'm trying to get a tighter dispersion when swinging about 90%. Current shaft feels very loose when I swing full out.[/b]

[b]Currently misses are hooks and pushes.
[/b]8. What is your shots tendency (ball flight) that you like when you are playing good? Normally hit a slight draw, 5-10 yards with a medium ball flight.
[b]I live in North Carolina. Courses I play a variety from wide open to narrow fairways. Many have Bermuda rough that I want to avoid. Fairways normally give roll when not wet.[/b]
[b]5'8" 155lb. Medium build, in good shape.[/b]

What is your glove size? need size estimate even if you don't use glove.
[b]I wear a Medium.[/b]

[b]Corey Pavin.[/b]

[b]I have normally played regular shafts in a driver but the Matrix feels softer than normal so I feel this is part of my problem. I shortened it to 44 inches and now I'm considering tipping it or changing out shafts and going with a stiff shaft. I've been considering the UST V2 or Graffaloy ProLaunch. I appreciate any advice that you have. Thanks.[/b]
Answer: Did you shorten it and brought back the swingweight to normal stage?

Reply: The golf shop shortened it, but didn't adjust the swingweight. I still couldn't keep it in the fairway, missed left and right. I decided to change the shaft to Grafalloy ProLaunch Red in a stiff flex and go back to a longer length 45 inches. I don't notice any substantial change in ball flight, and I am hitting it much more consistently. Ball now flies straight or with draw, and I am finding the fairway much more often. I can swing away and have a lot more confidence with this setup.

Answer: Definitely need a higher kick point shaft with a proper swing weight should give you a better control on the club.

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, length, etc ) TMTB 9.5 stock stiff 45.5

2. What type of swinger are you ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )? Loading factor on your swing? Heavy or light loader? Moderate to quick tempo

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?where is your striking ability? 15h 6 consistency

TrackMan
ss 90
LA 14-16
spin 2400-2800
BS 125-130

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? distance, consistency

More consistency, distance, I'd love to draw the ball. Always been a problem with the driver but not other clubs.

7. What is your shots tendency on mistakes when you are not playing so good? Do you have any problem missing a shots on the face of the club? where? Shots off the heel and pulls

mid launch straight to a 5 yrd fade

Pacific NW

6ft 175, long legs and arms short torso

Medium

Don't know

Thanks!

Answer: R flex stiffer tip design shaft with higher kick point, tipped it to a subflex R/S, you should be in the right track IMO

Hi Joe,
I'll try to answer your questions for this online fitting.
I play about 16 times a month
practice about once or twice a week. depending on how much I play
Existing driver R7 limited 10* loft Ozik 5.5 stiff (mid flex)
Smooth swinger, so I'm told. Thats what I see to do best.
14 hcp index
Probs- looking for some more consistancy
Lauch monitor session ( at Golf Galaxy not sure what kind of monitor)
Here are the numbers, they are from thhis past spring when buying my set up ( done by a pga teaching pro at golf galaxy).
club speed low 85 high 97
ball velocity low 120 high128
launch angle 12.2- 15
spin rate with curent set up 3500
carry 205
total 221
ptr (what ever that is) 150
my usual good driver distance is about 240yds
want to acheive more consistancy
Shot tendancy is to pull hook bad shots ( working on this with another pga pro)
ball flight is lower to progressively higher when hit well.
Playing predominantly in New England area ( hilly courses with tight fairways)
body build about 5' 10" 230# ( with some medical issues that keep me from hitting ball harder.) 52 years of age.
glove size is a medium-cadet
my pro when we work on my swing with the video, compares me with Jose Maria Olazabal

what are the issues my pro and I working on?
currently keeping my shoulder angle steeper(vertical) which is leading to some of the hooks
coming through with my lower body sooner
trusting both of the above
stance more upright and out over the ball
the pro i was working with at golf galaxy solf me into the R7 limited for the lower spin rates ( some other drivers were in the 3800 range) I like my R7 and I guess I'm just looking for a driver/shaft marriage that can make improvements in consistancy.

Answer: Nothing wrong on the club, Just work on your attack angle and you should be ok with the set up.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Joe:

In the market for a driver to supplement, if not replace my current KZG PFT

General questionnaire:
[b]once to twice a week[/b]
[b] once to twice a week[/b]

So the answer to your questions:

[b]KZG PFT 300, 9 degrees, UST PF65 Gold S flex, 45" D2[/b]
[b]Smooth tempo, light loader[/b]
[b]12 capper, 8.5 for consistency. That's something I know I can do, is put the same swing with most of the clubs in the bag time after time. Feel comfortable with my driver, and from 90 yards out to 150 to 160 in I'm most comfortable[/b]
[b] shaft feels boardy at times, miss is a fade.[/b]
[b] Got one today from a Vector. 103 to 105ss, 141 bs, 11 deg launch, 3k rpm spin. No AoA numbers, Side spin around 400[/b]
[b] higher launch, lower spin, more carry, more roll :p I know I have to work on a few things to up the smash, and hopefully to get the AoA back to an ascending strike. I can see it's a descending blow from the picture, but I didn't see the AoA to exactly determine how much down I'm hitting on it with the current setup[/b]
[b]misses throughout the bag is thin. On the driver it feels as if I'm flipping my hands so it's low and thin[/b]
[b]with the current driver, it's dead straight. No draw, no fade. With my irons when my swing is flowing, I hit a high ball with a very small draw, not much forward kick when it lands on the green but not much back spin. Ball to ball mark distance is usually within a foot[/b]
[b]Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Most courses I play on have well manicured fairways that are firm enough to provide a bit of a roll[/b]
[b] 5 ft 10, 145lbs. 32" wrist to floor. Pro's working on my setup which used to be too tall, I'm now setting up with a more pronounced squat over the ball[/b]
[b]Small glove size. Current grips are std size[/b]
[b]No idea. Haven't video'd my swing for 9 years and don't plan to video it. No clue who's swing I'd like to have on tour[/b]

thanks!
Answer: In your case with a smooth swing style....most tip stiff/high kick shaft will feel boardy to you. However looking at your LM data, you do need a higher loft with that type of shaft and yet I'm sure you have a problem coming down to steep on your attack angle that create that high spin numbers, thus you will need to work on that issue also.

Joe, this is a question about being fitted for a driver and a shaft. I have been told that some of the newer shaft technology can add some yards and/or reduce dispersion. I know that OEMs offer interchangeable shaft technology, but what can one do if they are interested in a head like the Adams Speedline, Alpha V5, or or other non-interchangeable driver? I will definitely go to a fitter that at least has F/S monitor, but I would personally prefer a Trackman. Wish i was in SoCal, but living in NY makes a visit prohibitive.

In your opinion, can a true top-of-the line shaft make a serious difference in yardage (i.e.15 minimum) and /or dispersion for a player with a SS in the 114-118 range, and could you suggest a protocol to optimize head shaft combos? Thank you very much.

Answer: Wrong post at the wrong thread, But i will try to answer your questions as much as I can here:
1. Fitting is the key to see if you have potential to gain distance and/or dispersion.
2. It won't matter what type of head and design as long as you are fitted properly.

Club: FT-9 Tour Neutral 9.5 i-Mix
Shaft: Rombax 6x07 S flex
Launch angle: 14.5
Spin rate: 2850
Swing speed: 104
Ball speed: 152

I play to somewhere between scratch and 3, and put almost no sidespin on the ball (average on vector was around 150.) Because of that, I can pretty much use as light a shaft as I want, as I don't seem to lose control, but I am struggling with the fact that I think I am hitting the ball too high, and I get almost no roll at all, even in the desert.

For the other questions...

height: 5'11
build: normal
iron lie: 60* 5 iron
tempo: very standard. neither slow nor fast.
ballflight: straight to slight (intentional) fade. Miss is a pull hook (shut clubface/square path according to LM)
consistency: don't know how to judge.

What should I try next? I'm thinking either the Rombax 6w07 S flex or the Fubuki S flex, but would love to have any other suggestions for things to try.

Thanks.

[b]Answer:[/b] At your level of golf skill if those numbers are correct, It shouldn't be to bad except being a little to high. But From your explanation here, It seems higher than the number says ( spin and LA ) or It could be your course condition are to soft also ( this is why you have to answer all my questionnaire from the front page of this thread ). If I have to go base on your LM data, Higher kick point shaft should do the job, maybe tipped the shaft a little to give you a better dispersion when you need to give a little more juice on the ball. Second choice that might work wonder is try a lower loft and see what the numbers come out to. You'ld be surprise if your skill is that good on how much longer you can be. Definitely have a potential to put you on a better set up that can make you .....WOW! :):superman: ...Just be realistic on where the ball will end up.