2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

For you guys asking for a help in picking a shaft!

joey3108

• Replies 921
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='JuniorFinn' post='805114' date='Nov 28 2007, 02:04 AM']I actually read the first page..

I hit few shots with 460tp on launch monitor and spin rates were around 3100. I dont remember the launch or anything.[/quote]
If you read the whole thing, Where is the launch angle?

I can't tell how high is high, I don't if you need to change loft or just reshaft shaft.

tweaking my r7 tp irons

[b]TP Irons Specs[/b]
Loft Standard
Lie 1 up
Shafts DG S300
6 iron (carry) 160
Driver SS 110mph
5 iron SS ?mph
Tempo Med-Fast

[b]Old Irons Nike PC OS[/b]
Stock Stiff Shafts
6 iron (carry) 178

i'm thinking of reshafting my irons because my irons seem to be launching high and as a result losing distance. I'm considering DG x100. would i benefit from these shafts?

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )
[b]I am currently playing a 10* Callaway FT-3 with an Aldila NVS 65g shaft and its 45 inches long[/b]

2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )
[b]My tempo is in between quick and smooth[/b]

3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?
[b]My handicap is 2 and my swing consistency is probably about 6.5-7.0[/b]

4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?
[b]The launch angle is a little too low and spin rate is too high[/b]

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!!
[b]My swing speed is between 103-108mph, launch angle 13 degrees, Ball speed I dont know, and spin rate is about 3950[/b]

6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?
[b]A higher launch angle= a medium ball flight, with lower spin= more roll[/b]

7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle?
[b]My lie angle is about 0.5 degrees flat[/b]

Thank You!!!!

HEY JOE, I AM FAIRLY NEW TO THIS SITE. I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED WHAT SHAFT, HEAD COMBO YOU WOULD PUT ME INTO. I HAVE BEEN TO ABOUT 4 DRIVER FITTINGS WITH NO LUCK. I CURRENTLY USE A R7 SUPERQUAD 45" LONG WITH ROMBAX 6X07 STIFF SHAFT. SWING SPEED IS 110-115 BALL SPEED IS 163-167 SPIN RATE IS AROUND 2700 RPM. LAUNCH ANGLE AROUND 12 DEGREES. OF COARSE I AM LOOKING FOR MORE DISTANCE, ARENT WE ALL, BUT I AM GETTING AROUND 260 CARRY WITH MAYBE 15 YARDS OR LESS OF ROLL. MY BALL GENERALLY IS PRETTY STRAIGHT WITH A LITTLE FADE WHEN I SWING HARD. I AM A DECENT BALL STRIKER 7 OUT OF 10 AND A 9 HANDICAP. IF IT HELPS I ALSO HIT A 8 IRON WITH DGS-300 AROUND 165. ANY HELP WOULD BE [color="#ff0000"]GREATLY APPRECIATED[/color].

TITLEIST TS3 8.5 T1100
Callaway XR Pro 15* Fairway
Taylormade GAPR 2
Honma 737V 4-pw
Titleist SM6 52/58
Machine M20 Converter Aluminum Bronze
Scotty Newport Select

[quote name='longbal30' post='808475' date='Nov 30 2007, 05:01 PM']HEY JOE, I AM FAIRLY NEW TO THIS SITE. I WOULD BE VERY INTERESTED WHAT SHAFT, HEAD COMBO YOU WOULD PUT ME INTO. I HAVE BEEN TO ABOUT 4 DRIVER FITTINGS WITH NO LUCK. I CURRENTLY USE A R7 SUPERQUAD 45" LONG WITH ROMBAX 6X07 STIFF SHAFT. SWING SPEED IS 110-115 BALL SPEED IS 163-167 SPIN RATE IS AROUND 2700 RPM. LAUNCH ANGLE AROUND 12 DEGREES. OF COARSE I AM LOOKING FOR MORE DISTANCE, ARENT WE ALL, BUT I AM GETTING AROUND 260 CARRY WITH MAYBE 15 YARDS OR LESS OF ROLL. MY BALL GENERALLY IS PRETTY STRAIGHT WITH A LITTLE FADE WHEN I SWING HARD. I AM A DECENT BALL STRIKER 7 OUT OF 10 AND A 9 HANDICAP. IF IT HELPS I ALSO HIT A 8 IRON WITH DGS-300 AROUND 165. ANY HELP WOULD BE [color="#ff0000"]GREATLY APPRECIATED[/color].[/quote]Email me at [email protected]

THX!

[quote name='samsquanch' post='808290' date='Nov 30 2007, 01:47 PM']1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )
[b]I am currently playing a 10* Callaway FT-3 with an Aldila NVS 65g shaft and its 45 inches long[/b]

[b]My tempo is in between quick and smooth[/b]

[b]My handicap is 2 and my swing consistency is probably about 6.5-7.0[/b]

[b]The launch angle is a little too low and spin rate is too high[/b]

5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!!
[b]My swing speed is between 103-108mph, launch angle 13 degrees, Ball speed I dont know, and spin rate is about 3950[/b]

[b]A higher launch angle= a medium ball flight, with lower spin= more roll[/b]

[b]My lie angle is about 0.5 degrees flat[/b]

Thank You!!!![/quote]
Your number seems a bit odd to me.

I would double check it if i were you or if everything is right, I would ask your local teaching pro on your swing path problem...see if you have a problem on a decending blow at impact that create to much spin.

FT 3 is one of the lowest spin rate head already IMO.

Are you sure they are the same loft? As far as I can remember the Nike is 2* stronger at least.

Base on your limited info, You defeinitely can try DGX100 or at least softstep once. I'm almost sure also that you might need to tweak the loft a bit stronger.[quote name='Confiado' post='807854' date='Nov 30 2007, 06:18 AM']Handicap 11
Ball Striking 8

old irons had the same specs as far as loft, lengh and lie.

6 Irons Specs 37.5" (with grip)
Lie 62*
Loft 31[/quote]

Actually, I did have a descending blow at impact but these numbers are [b]after[/b] I fixed that. I know, they are really confusing to me too, thats why I need your awesomely expert opinion ;)

While I was getting these numbers, a professional clubfitter was looking to see if the machine was right too, and everything was ;)

[quote name='samsquanch' post='808568' date='Nov 30 2007, 07:03 PM']Actually, I did have a descending blow at impact but these numbers are [b]after[/b] I fixed that. I know, they are really confusing to me too, thats why I need your awesomely expert opinion ;)

While I was getting these numbers, a professional clubfitter was looking to see if the machine was right too, and everything was ;)[/quote]
It looks to me you still have that problem honestly!

joe

If you have a quick tempo swing and aggressive move to the ball ( loder ), then go with X100 or at least Softstep once, especially your striking skill is above average.

Good Luck!

joe
[quote name='Confiado' post='814260' date='Dec 6 2007, 06:59 AM']jumped on a launch monitor and got some more specs for you

6 iron (r7 tp; dg s300)
avg swing speed 91mph
avg carry 175
launch angle avg. of 25 degreess

should i stick with my current shafts? or do i fit into the dg x100?[/quote]

[quote name='jamesprince83' post='814356' date='Dec 6 2007, 08:12 AM']hi, ive just been for a fitting and am getting an accra sc 65 m5 shaft in driver. im also getting the same shaft for my 3 wood and 5 wood but have been advised to go for the sc95 m5. do you find the tour players use this much weight or more like sc85???

many thanks[/quote]
You might want to post your questions on a general or domestic forlder IMO.

Joe

Hi Joey,
I'm a 11 handycap currently playing a Ping G2 10* with a Proforce Blue 65g Stiff shaft that I hit high and I think is ballooning on me. I have a smooth swing tempo and I was on a vector launch monitor today. Swing speed 101mph Ball speed 151. I was hitting the Ping G10 drivers and the best #'s were with a Proforce V2 HL 65 shaft with a 7.5* head. Spin rate 2800 Hook spin 320 and 14.1* launch angle. I tried the stock TFC 129 shaft and that made the spin rate in the 5700 range. I can't see myself going to a 7.5* driver. My question is can you recomend a shaft I can put in my G2 to bring down my launch angle and spin rate.
Thanks,
jeffinflorida

I'm going to buy a aCobra Speed LD driver at 10.5*: the launch, spin etc. was taken with the cobra!!

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )
[b]As of now, I have a MacGregor NVG2 10.5* with a YS-6+ reg flex tipped and extra 0.5in. At 44in. total.[/b]2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )
[b]My tempo is between med, and quick[/b]
[b]handicap is 8-9 in terms of consistence:7 of 10[/b]
[b]just dont hit it well, low flight with low launch, and low spin etc.[/b]
[b]With the cobra:
SS-94
Ball Speed-135
Launch-13-15 depends where i catch it on the face!!
Spin-2850-3000[/b]
[b]I little higher launch with a little less spin so it will roll!!![/b]
[b]yes: 3*flat and !in. shorter than standard.[/b]

My swing: medium takeaway, comes a little shy of parallel (like a sergio), but i have a large arc, and then really follow through, im very flexable!!!

Thanks Joe for your nice gesture of doing this!!!!!

Cleveland Hibore XL 9.5* with fit on Red Stiff flex - standard 65G and 45"
I am a quick transition but smooth swinger (usually)
currently 8.4 and usually very consistent
Hit a little too high and less roll then I used to get
SS 101
Ball speed 147
Launch angle 17.1
Spin 3300
Carry 252
total - 268
Note this was recently when I was still cold and not practicing for about a month
A little lower hit but I want to stay withj my natural draw, get another 10+ yards of roll
No
8. etc.
I tend to get longer on the back nine- usually because I am warmed up. Pro, I take lessons from is trying to work on ways to get warmed up quicker and get the distance earlier. He did a fitting earlier in the year after i was practicing for an hour and I was closer to 108 on SS and another 10 yards on distance. We talked about going to an 8.5 but he thinks with my distance, that getting the extra "accuracy" from the 9.5 and higher launch angle is worth the lost minimal distance.

BTW, I wondered if their launch monitor is off because of a couple things. First I didn't think a SS that low could go 250+, but that distance has been my carry range lately , and I check with a laser so, distance seemed right. Just seemed that was the lowest I've even had on a driver when getting speed checked.

Jeff,
I cant help you if i have no detail info about your G2. Please read carefully the whole post before posting to help both of us save time and energy!

MR MIZUNO,
What is the set up spec of the Cobra?

Threeputter,
Can you get on a LM again with 8.5-9 degree driver and get a complete LM data on it?

Joe

Joey,

I can try, might be a couple weeks with Christmas, family and everything happening? Not sure I can get a Hibore in 8.5 though because the pro I take lessons from and got the numbers from sells Titleist and Cobra only. I'll have to ask around to borrow one, or head to maybe Dicks and see if they have one and can give me the data. What other data do you want to see that I didn't provide BTW?

Joe,

Thank you for your help with this. I am beginning to look for a new driver and can use any help you can offer. Once my clubhead and shaft are picked, can you sell and assemble them for me?

Answers below

1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc ) Cleveland Launcher Comp 10.5 deg. Aldila NVS 65 stiff, Swingweight D-2, 45"
2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger ) I have a smooth tempo
3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing? Handicap ranges from 5-9 current index 4.3. My swing is inconsistent my scores are dependent on my driver :) I'd rate consistency a 6-6.5
4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up? spray the ball some, trajectory a little high, no roll on landing
5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) [color="#cc0000"]IMPORTANT[/color]!!! 96 mph, 14-14.5 deg, 138-141, spin is 3900-4200 rpm
6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up? I'd would love tighter dispersion and of course more distance!
7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle? Yes, my irons are 61.5 deg (6 iron) standard length.
8. misses tend to go left hooks or pushes to the right.

thanks again!

Hi Joe,

I know you are a busy man however I'd really appreciate some help choosing a shaft for my 905r. Answers as follows;

[b]1. What is the club existing set up? ( loft, shaft, flex, swing weight, lenght, etc )[/b]
Titleist 905R, 10.5° loft, Aldila NV65 Regular shaft, standard swing weight and length.

[b]2. What type of swinger are you? ( smooth or quick tempo swinger )[/b]
Definitely a smooth swinger with a medium tempo. Not an aggressive hitter by any means.

[b]3. What is your handicap and on a scale 1-10 how consistent is your swing?[/b]
I currently play off 12 and I'd say my swing is about a 5 - 6 on the consistency scale.

[b]4. What is the the problem w/ the existing set up?[/b]
My current ball flight I feel is much too high - even with a shaft that supposedly gives a lower - mid trajectory. I get a reasonable amount of carry but the ball drops out of the sky very quickly and I have pretty much zero roll. I often find my pitch mark within 1-2 feet of my ball. My drives also lack penetration. Dispersion is also increasingly poor. Many of my shots drift right and/or left.

[b]5. Have you ever had a launch monitor session before? ( swing speed, launch angle, ball speed, spin rate, etc?) IMPORTANT!!![/b]
Yes today. I was using a 9° Ping G10 driver with a UST V2 65 Stiff shaft. I hit 30 drives. Average figures as follows;

Swing Speed: 100 mph +/- 3 mph
Ball speed: 134mph +/- 5 mph
Launch Angle: 15.8° +/- 1.3°
Carry: 219 yards +/- 9 yards
Spin: 3100 RPM +/- 50 rpm.
Dispersion was also good with most balls being 4-5 yards left of centre.

Unfortunately I couldn't hit my current driver but hit a 10.5° G10 with regular UST V2 65 shaft at lost, on average about 15 yards carry per drive. Drives also drifted much further left.

[b]6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?[/b]
Predominantly my ball flight. I would like a mid to mid-high trajectory with more penetration and more roll (though without sacrificing too much carry, obviously). Hope this will have a positive impact on overall length too.

[b]7. Have you had any dynamic club fitting before? Lie angle?[/b]
Currenlty play Mizuno MP-57's with rifle 5.5 shafts. Clubs are 2° up and +1/2" in length. I am 6ft 4" tall.

I'd like to swap out my current shaft rather than purchase a new driver though could definitely drop to a 9.5° if you think it's worth it (I have heard the G10's play much higher than their stated loft though). Prior to my launch monitor session today (the results of which pleasantly surprised me). I was looking at a Speeder 652, though not so sure now. Would be very grateful for some suggestions/recommendations you might have.

Many thanks and let me know if you need more info!

FP.

Joe - some help please. I understand your a busy man and thank you in advance for any insights...

[b][/b][color="#FF0000"][/color]8.5 Tour Retail FT-I with Pershing 65S, D-5, 45"

[b][/b][color="#FF0000"][/color]Agressively smooth

[b][/b][color="#FF0000"][/color]2.6 handicap and 7 out of 10 on swing.

Spin!!!!

[[color="#FF0000"]b]Yes. I have 3 different sets of lm numbers. What I have done below is to take the 3 best and 3 worst and throw them out from the 3 different sessions. I have then 'averaged' the balance. 90 balls minus 18 = 72 balls for average[/b].[/color]
[b]Vector Pro:
SS= 105.29
LA= 14.06
BS= 158.77
Spin= 3924
Side Angle= .343[/b][color="#FF0000"][/color]6. What are you trying to change or achieve on your new set up?
Reduction of spin which should? pick up a little yardage???

[b]Yes. I still play MP11's. Also have a set of J33 blade heads and plan on shafting in the spring. I will switch occasionally and always come back to the MP 11's because I can hit them high, low, left or right. My lie angle is standard. Length of the 5 iron is 37.75", s300's.[/b][color="#FF0000"][/color]

8. etc.
Just wanting a little more out of my driver. One club closer with approach shots always helps.

Would a low spin head, i.e., Bridgestone J33R, have a 'real' result, assuming all things equal??? Does the Pershing shaft 'fit' my profile?

Again, any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Also, I have a NVG2 Tour 3 wood and it spins like a top and will want to get that club more productive. Both of these clubs will be sent your way for some loving.

I currently have a Nike sasquatch tour 9.5 with a Fujikura Tour Platform shaft 26.3 S flex. I seem to have alot of spin on the ball which dramatically reduced my distance. Today i hit a D2 with blue board diamana and hit it great! any recommendations to similar shafts? My SS is about 105 and my tempo is a bit on the faster side. I was looking to buy the v2 6060 shaft but any other recommendations would be great! also not really looking to break the bank either.