2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Austin, TX vs. Phoenix, AZ

[quote name='wagsgt' post='1874668' date='Aug 9 2009, 11:43 AM']Not that Phoenix has a shortage but Austin has some smoking hot women[/quote]

Are you kidding me? Have you been to Phoenix? The only reason austin has a few hot women is because its a college town, Tempe is also a college town ranked in the top 10 party schools in the country, there is absolutely no doubt that there are way more hot women there, then you have cities like scottsdale, peoria, and the enitire east valley that are swarmed with hot woimen

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But where are you going to stay in summer, lol. Both are brutally hot, no worries at all about being cold my friend. It just depends if you like 110 degrees with or without humidity.

Austin would be my choice. Just seems to be a more interesting place for someone who likes going out. AZ might be better for someone who is more of a homebody or retiree.

[quote name='scotto69' post='1907357' date='Aug 22 2009, 11:17 AM']But where are you going to stay in summer, lol. Both are brutally hot, no worries at all about being cold my friend. It just depends if you like 110 degrees with or without humidity.

Austin would be my choice. Just seems to be a more interesting place for someone who likes going out. AZ might be better for someone who is more of a homebody or retiree.[/quote]
you are kidding right? Phoenix has a ton of nightlife and as azturf24 mentioned, there are a lot of hot girls all over the valley. Unreal smoky hotness in fact.

[quote name='TML' post='1907494' date='Aug 22 2009, 12:47 PM'][quote name='scotto69' post='1907357' date='Aug 22 2009, 11:17 AM']But where are you going to stay in summer, lol. Both are brutally hot, no worries at all about being cold my friend. It just depends if you like 110 degrees with or without humidity.

Austin would be my choice. Just seems to be a more interesting place for someone who likes going out. AZ might be better for someone who is more of a homebody or retiree.[/quote]
you are kidding right? Phoenix has a ton of nightlife and as azturf24 mentioned, there are a lot of hot girls all over the valley. Unreal smoky hotness in fact.

[/quote]

I can't believe what I'm reading, either you people haven't been to Phoenix or you're actually from Austin and are very biased. I grew up in Michigan and moved here 5 years ago for almost all the reason you people are arguing right now. I would've chosen California but it was just to expensive and Phoenix had a booming job market about 5 years ago. Scottsdale is as upscale as it gets and the club scene there is known country wide, in fact I think about 60 or so tour pros live in Scottsdale alone and many celebrities. I call the metro Phoenix area a mini California, even though its the desert we strive to create a tropical theme in almost every new development.About 4 years ago I considered Austin because it was supposed to boom there next but never really did as the housing market declined. In case you don't read magazine or pay attention to anything to do with golf in the winters this is one of top golf destinations in the country for folks looking to get away from the snow. Yes, it is hot as hell here in the summer, but you get used to it fast and it is what they call a "dry" heat which is much more comfortable than the "humid" climate you'll get in Austin.

Here is my biggest point, you're less than a 6 hour drive to San Diego, Los Angeles, the west coast, Las Vegas, and if you want to go to mexico its only 4 hours from Phoenix, and if you like snow in the winter you can drive 3 1/2 hours north to Flagstaff or the White mountains. Where are you going to drive to in Austin? Besides Mexico, where? Dallas? Houston? A bunch of other cities that aren't that great? It's an easy choice, don't be mislead. Phoenix is the 5th most populous city in the country, there is a vast area or beautiful suburbs to choose from and a lot more job opportunity, the metropolitan-Phoenix cities of Gilbert and Chandler were the number 1 and 3 fastest growing cities in the country during the 2005 census and are beautiful areas if you want to live in the burbs.

Point made, nothing against Austin, but its not like Phoenix.

I grew up in Houston and went to college in Fort Worth and have currently lived in the SW Valley of Phoenix, in Goodyear for for the last four years. Obviously there are a number of factors to consider, but since you've mentioned golf a one that is critical to you, then hands down it is Phoenix.

Within twenty minutes of my home there are twelve public courses (5 very championship level courses, a few very nice munis, and then some cheap munis). I can play nearly 365 days a year and rarely pay over $30 including cart. Usually in the summer I pay around $15-20 for a nice course. If I want to drive 45 minutes I can play any of the Scottsdale courses, but honestly there are plenty in my area that are comparable in quality of play and much cheaper.

With that said, both Phoenix and Austin are very cool places to live. You should visit each.

Time to end the debate
How many professional golfers live in Austin??? Exactly !!!! The valley of the sun has more to offer a golfer, if it didn't the pros wouldn't live here.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

Great discussion guys. I am heavily leaning toward the Phoenix area. Can you guys name some good cities/suburbs to live in around that area? Remember, I'm in the healthcare field so being close to a hospital would be ideal. I will also be fresh out of grad school so I don't need the most upscale neighborhood but don't want to live in the slums either. Thanks again.

[quote name='d373rm1ned' post='1907956' date='Aug 22 2009, 06:09 PM']Great discussion guys. I am heavily leaning toward the Phoenix area. Can you guys name some good cities/suburbs to live in around that area? Remember, I'm in the healthcare field so being close to a hospital would be ideal. I will also be fresh out of grad school so I don't need the most upscale neighborhood but don't want to live in the slums either. Thanks again.[/quote]

I origionally moved to Tempe when I first moved here because it is somewhat centralized but its where ASU is so as a 21 year at the time it was the place to be. When I found my career and eventually went into business for myself I decided to buy a home and every one I worked with always spoke so highly of the east valley (chandler, gilbert, ahwatukee (nickname for a small portion of phoenix along the south mountain) namely, but also parts of mesa and queen creek. I ended up buying out there myself, very clean and affordable in most parts, theres a nice mix of high end developments with affordable suburban communities. The west valley has some nice parts, peoria is nice, glendale and the rest (avondale, litchfield, surprise) are hit or miss and very far away, but also the cheapest places to buy or rent. If you have the dough, north phoenix and north scottsdale, which are neighboring parts of both cities is probably the place to be for a golfer. There is a snobby distinction to some of the folks in that area and it is pricey but is a golfing mecca, the TPC of scottsdale, Troon North, Grayhawk, and several other premier course are in that immediate area but attached are the premium greens fees during the winter, but the awesome parts is during the summer you get up early (like 6-7 am) when it is still 83 degrees and play any of these world class courses for no more than $40 usually and many of the nice courses in the burbs are as low as $15 simply because it is hot. Just get up early and you'll love it, this last summer has been one of the best golf seasons of my life as I made a point of playing 2-3 times a week and making sure I played all the high-end scottsdale courses, and the golf experiences have been awesome, Troon North (#21 ranked in the country) was incredible, it defines desert golf and is an experience in itself.

Whatever you choose you can't go wrong for a golfer in Phoenix.

Gilbert has just built three new hospitals, all desert banner hospitals, also Goodyear has a desert banner that is one year old. All told i think the valley has at least 15 hospitals so you can live anywhere.

PING G425 Max       10.5* Tensei  AV Blue 60 gram X flex
PING G425 Max       16.5* TD AD TP 80 gram X flex
PING G425 19*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING G425 22*         Tensei CK Blue 80 gram X Flex

PING i230                  5-PW     w/ PX LZ 6.0 Black out shafts (+ 1/4”)
Titleist SM 9 raw        50*/54*/58* PX LZ 6.0  Black out shaft (+ 1/4”)

Odyssey                     AI One  Seven CH

BULLPEN

TM Rossi   M-21 Reserve and Odyssey Tri Hot      5k Seven CH   

Austin is fantastic! GREAT people - great golf...

Phoenix is freaking hot in the summer - to me, it's my golf "winter" most of the
time...but, then, I'm in my fifties now and I guess the heat gets to me more than it used to...

The rest of the year is golf paradise...

That said, I married a smoking-hot Phoenix blonde...I mean, geez, I needed to get some sleep eventually!

Good luck - Ben.

I have been to neither, but my cousin and uncle have been to Phoenix 2-3 times in the summer on holiday to play golf. From what they have told me, Phoenix is a fantastic place to play golf, the climate is fantastic (all year tan!) and the housing is cheap too. Good luck on reaching a decison.

Have you considered Florida? Better climate and is one of the most desirable places in the States to live and play golf.

[quote name='Señor Rafa' post='1911130' date='Aug 24 2009, 11:49 AM']Have you considered Florida? Better climate and is one of the most desirable places in the States to live and play golf.[/quote]

Personally, I find Florida to be largely uninteresting as a potential place to live.

I think the climate in Florida is awful. Hot AND humid. And LOTS OF BUGS.

The terrain is dead flat. It is full of retirees and snowbirds that drive 22 MPH maximum. Swamps, snakes, alligators and did I mention BUGS?

As well, I don't think the golf is all that great either. The water table is like 2 feet deep, which means every course practically, has water hazards on every other hole.

It beats Michigan in February for sure...

[quote name='Señor Rafa' post='1911130' date='Aug 24 2009, 01:49 PM']Have you considered Florida? Better climate and is one of the most desirable places in the States to live and play golf.[/quote]

Yes, I have definitely considered Florida. I have a buddy that lives in Jacksonville and he loves it. Not for the golf but for the beach and nightlife. I grew up in IL where it is 75% and higher humidity in the summer. I'm used to the humidity but not sure if I could handle it all year round like it is in FL. Not sure that I can handle the 110+ degree weather in AZ in either though. I guess only time will tell. I still have until July 2010 until I would be ready for the move to whichever destination I decide on.

Golf & injured people=

AZ-1
TX-0

Cheap living, music scene, jobs, crime rate, women, traffic, stability, friendly people, weather, & night life=

AZ-0
TX-1

You have to decide what is most important to you. "You can be good at golf or you can have a life, but you can't do both" is my motto. I prefer life over golf though. I spent the last 6 years dedicated to golf & I missed out on so much living. Now I am living with golf sprinkled in on the weekends. I am fairly confident in the above info. Your choice sir. I do not think you could go wrong either way.

I live in south east New Mexico where the heat is way up and the humidity and way low. I visited both and would choose Austin every single time. Last time I visited Phoenix it was 114 with zero humidity. I got out of my rental car and could feel the heat coming off the pavement. It was 91 when I went to bed and 93 when I woke up. Since then I haven't complained about sweating when playing in the humidity. You get used to it, just carry some extra gloves or use a rain glove. And a bad for both are rattle snakes. Not sure about you but I'm not a fan of any snake. Big, small, deadly or not. They suck and I might guess a few less in Austin.

I played today at 8 am on a desert course with no shade and it was friggin hot, but the key is just to hydrate hydrate hydrate and dress for the climate. I went to the range around 530 and it was 114 degrees and as I was hitting balls into the sunset(how romantic!), I could see sweat flinging off my arms down the range(yuck).

Never been to Austin but I say visit both for sure and try to hang out with different types of people in each area, some locals know the locale better than others.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

I will agree with Deemo that there is an overabundance of desert courses but hey we live in a desert. There are a few good traditional parkland courses here to. The thing I like to do is use summer and the overseed time to get out on a vacation and go play in colorado or back to where I am from in the bay area. The other really nice thing about phoenix is since about 90% of the people here are from somewhere else the social and bar scene is really diverse. So you can find something that suits you. It doesnt hurt that hot chicks just migrate here like birds flying south for winter.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

D373
I agree Florida should also be another place to consider for the follow reasons: They have better winters than the other two. My place in Naples has the best weather in the states around December-February (highs 78-82). The summers are hot and humid, however they will be cooler than the other two places with slightly more humidity than Austin, but with more wind and the ocean/gulf to help cooling. If you were in business I would say Austin and Texas would be the way to go for the economy and growth potential. For your field Florida should be fine with all the recreation and golf over-achievers needing your services.
My friends daughter moved to Tampa and just received her phd in PT and loves it. Orlando is one of the golf mecca's and great area for growth.
I'm in business and want to work part time in retirement and have read great things about Austin. If you read different places to live, work and play Austin ranked sixth in the country (Houston was 1st ?? probably because of the business in energy).

• 1 month later...

I visit TX and AZ regularly per year; yet voted "other" because I am loving PGA West in La Quinta, CA. If I am going for year around golf and weather, I prefer La Quinta's winter over AZ's winter, and La Quinta's summer or AZ; but that's me. We're heading to AZ for a week of golf in a month.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-PW MMT 105S
  • SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x or AVX

After living in Dallas for 30 years, I'll take the desert summer over Texas summer anytime. 105 in Phoenix is like 93 in Austin. In Austin its not real hot in the morning but extremely humid and sticky.

Heck, in Austin, you don't even cool off in the pool because its so humid the water is the same temp as it is outside. As for inexpensive golf, I'd take Phoenix. You don't get discounted rates in Texas because its hot.

I am sure there are decent public courses in Austin, but none come to mind. Great resorts and country clubs both places.

And as far as hot women go, ITS A TIE.

[quote name='hydrodaddy' post='2019552' date='Oct 21 2009, 05:31 PM']After living in Dallas for 30 years, I'll take the desert summer over Texas summer anytime. 105 in Phoenix is like 93 in Austin. In Austin its not real hot in the morning but extremely humid and sticky.

Heck, in Austin, you don't even cool off in the pool because its so humid the water is the same temp as it is outside. As for inexpensive golf, I'd take Phoenix. You don't get discounted rates in Texas because its hot.

I am sure there are decent public courses in Austin, but none come to mind. Great resorts and country clubs both places.

And as far as hot women go, ITS A TIE.[/quote]
I was in Phoenix in the summer and I played in days when it hit a high of 105 but with humidity in the 30% range. I had no problems in the heat and ended up playing 36. Then I went to Dallas to play a few weeks later. Holy sheet......91 degrees with 95% humidity. I couldn't breathe and was soaked. I wanted to quit playing after 5 holes and take 10 showers.

[quote name='TML' post='2020256' date='Oct 22 2009, 08:24 AM'][quote name='hydrodaddy' post='2019552' date='Oct 21 2009, 05:31 PM']After living in Dallas for 30 years, I'll take the desert summer over Texas summer anytime. 105 in Phoenix is like 93 in Austin. In Austin its not real hot in the morning but extremely humid and sticky.

And as far as hot women go, ITS A TIE.[/quote]
I was in Phoenix in the summer and I played in days when it hit a high of 105 but with humidity in the 30% range. I had no problems in the heat and ended up playing 36. Then I went to Dallas to play a few weeks later. Holy sheet......91 degrees with 95% humidity. I couldn't breathe and was soaked. I wanted to quit playing after 5 holes and take 10 showers.
[/quote]
Your Dallas conditions describe what a 93 day in Maryland is like as well. I'm with you I'll take the 105 and low humidity any day.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I live in TX now. I lived in Austin for 7 years. I spend time in AZ. I would pick AZ 100 out of 100 times. I am always on the lookout for jobs in Tucson and Scottsdale so I can move there now instead of waiting until I retire.

Phoenix suburbs are nice. Obviously Scottsdale is the nicest, but the most expensive too. Mesa has some nice areas and courses. Lots of crime in the inner city of Phoenix. Definitely don't move to the inner city.

I don't know if I am different than several people on here; however I like to see green grass and foliage and blue water and not brown rocks, brown stone lawns and cactus. Less humidity is good up to a point; however when my skin dried out in 2-3 days one April in Scottsdale this bothered me.
In all seriousness is this not important for other people or am I missing the boat here? Would I get use to those things in Phoenix area? I'm coming from Chicago and would like a little less humidity than Florida or Austin, however I like the other things mentioned above.

[quote name='azturf24' post='1907770' date='Aug 22 2009, 05:42 PM'][quote name='TML' post='1907494' date='Aug 22 2009, 12:47 PM'][quote name='scotto69' post='1907357' date='Aug 22 2009, 11:17 AM']But where are you going to stay in summer, lol. Both are brutally hot, no worries at all about being cold my friend. It just depends if you like 110 degrees with or without humidity.

[/quote]

I can't believe what I'm reading, either you people haven't been to Phoenix or you're actually from Austin and are very biased. I grew up in Michigan and moved here 5 years ago for almost all the reason you people are arguing right now. I would've chosen California but it was just to expensive and Phoenix had a booming job market about 5 years ago. Scottsdale is as upscale as it gets and the club scene there is known country wide, in fact I think about 60 or so tour pros live in Scottsdale alone and many celebrities. I call the metro Phoenix area a mini California, even though its the desert we strive to create a tropical theme in almost every new development.About 4 years ago I considered Austin because it was supposed to boom there next but never really did as the housing market declined. In case you don't read magazine or pay attention to anything to do with golf in the winters this is one of top golf destinations in the country for folks looking to get away from the snow. Yes, it is hot as hell here in the summer, but you get used to it fast and it is what they call a "dry" heat which is much more comfortable than the "humid" climate you'll get in Austin.

Here is my biggest point, you're less than a 6 hour drive to San Diego, Los Angeles, the west coast, Las Vegas, and if you want to go to mexico its only 4 hours from Phoenix, and if you like snow in the winter you can drive 3 1/2 hours north to Flagstaff or the White mountains. Where are you going to drive to in Austin? Besides Mexico, where? Dallas? Houston? A bunch of other cities that aren't that great? It's an easy choice, don't be mislead. Phoenix is the 5th most populous city in the country, there is a vast area or beautiful suburbs to choose from and a lot more job opportunity, the metropolitan-Phoenix cities of Gilbert and Chandler were the number 1 and 3 fastest growing cities in the country during the 2005 census and are beautiful areas if you want to live in the burbs.

Point made, nothing against Austin, but its not like Phoenix.
[/quote]

+1

I'd go with AZ, I'd say the highest concentration of hotties I've ever seen. Better golf as well and you can join the summer migration out here to San Diego.

Titleist TSR2 9 Fujikura Ventus Blue
Srixon ZX mkll 15 Ventus Red

Taylormade Sim2 Max 19 GD
Srixon ZX 5 MKII 4-AW Nippon
Vokey SM7 54/10

Vokey SM9 59/5

Scotty tri sole Newport 2 ct

Titleist ProV1