Tiger Woods Injured in Car Crash (Threads Merged here)

butter_train

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious as to why people keep getting hung up on the fact that he hasn't spoken with the police? You do realize he doesn't have to speak with them if he doesn't want to, right? That has nothing to do with his money either. If you don't want to speak with the police you don't have to. There are lawyers that can do it for you. Any time law enforcement needs to spek with you it would be wise to direct them to your attorney. That is what a lot of attorneys get paid to do.
If anything I would say the police are giving this more attention because of who he is. Heck, I got hit by a car that was driving over 50 mph at the time of impact, and I never once spoke to the police. They never even showed up to the accident scene. The tow truck driver was the only person that bothered to come out.

As for deserving an explanation. Why? He isn't an elected official, isn't on the board of my company, and what he does in his personal life will not affect mine in any way. Some of you people have a sense of entitlement that is rather disturbing.

[quote name='Bellyhungry' post='2091751' date='Nov 29 2009, 11:26 PM']I think some of us just like to gossip and are nousy about other people's lives, especially famous ones.

Also, these people [u][b]would continue to reject any explanation[/b][/u] unless it matches what they have already have in mind. So naturally, it does not surprise me that the Woods camp released a innocuous statement, they probably knew that these people don't care about the Woods except to see them denigrated.[/quote]

I wouldn't.
Problem is: His public statement does not offer [u][b]any[/b][/u] explanation for two circumstances:
1) He left his house at 2:25 a.m. in the night after the biggest family holiday there is
2) A completely healthy and obviously non-intoxicated 33 year old drives his car out of his driveway like he must have done hundreds of times and hits a hydrant and then a tree which must have been there for years.
Any explanation would have been fine. The wording of the statement made matters worse. If there would have been anything, one could have believed it or not. I, for one would have really lost interest in the whole matter, if there had been any half-credible reason given. This sort of statement was a big mistake, I think. And I do not think that I am entitled to an explanation. Why would I? All I am doing is following how this story develops and the statement has not put my interest to rest, quite the opposite. And I think that this is the case for most people, except those who think Tiger is God and can do no wrong.
That's why I think this sort of "Hmm, I played pretty well, lost some strokes here and there maybe, but it was ok." won't work in this case.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='italian71' post='2091767' date='Nov 29 2009, 05:33 PM'][quote name='littlepingman' post='2091719' date='Nov 29 2009, 05:07 PM'][quote name='corky' post='2091695' date='Nov 29 2009, 04:58 PM']His statement on his website says they (the woods') 'deserve' some privacy in this matter, personally I believe the public deserves a plausible explanation.

This will run and run.......[/quote]

Why do we deserve an explanation? If this had happened to an average joe we would never even have heard about it. Because its Tiger Woods we automatically deserve to know every detail of this event? I don't think so. I think we all need to respect their wishes and let this go. If there is more to the story that the parties involved decide we need to hear that it up to them. After all this event effected no one but the very few that were there that night. The rest of us deserve nothing.
[/quote]

I disagree. When you are the face of the PGA Tour - Hundreds of millions of dollars are riding on your actions (as well as his own endorsement dollars). He owes an explanation as to what happened. We don't need the dirty details of the affair but an in person question/answer session to clear this up is required. He is the face of the PGA Tour (and gets paid accordingly) and right now he has put a black eye on the tour.
[/quote]

I don't disagree that he would do himself a favor by being more open about what happened that night. However, my original point was spurred by the statement that we 'deserve' an explanation. I don't believe we 'deserve' anything from Tiger. That doesn't necessarily mean he shouldn't do the right thing and lay everything out on the table. But I still feel this is a personal matter and not for public scrutiny. I'd love to know all the facts but I don't feel I 'deserve' or am entitled to know everything just because I watch the news.

[quote name='mat562' post='2091764' date='Nov 29 2009, 05:31 PM']If he's as concerned as he appears to be to dispel any rumours about supposed wrongdoings by his wife (and, in his position, I'd imagine any husband would be) and all the other unsubstantiated rubbish that's being bandied about, he needs to step up and take some sort of positive action to quieten the gossipmongers[size=4][size=4].[size=5][b] A proper press release would work wonders and would deflect a lot of future prying into his private affairs[/b[/size][/size]][/size].[/quote]

+1

Once again, Mat562 nails it with his charming prose from Blighty.

[Actually, Mat562 has had many better posts, but I felt a silly need to chime in with some sort of comment of my own since this may well turn out to be the longest, widest GolfWrx thread of all time and I wanted to be able to tell my grandchildren ( who do not yet exist) that I was part of it!]

[quote name='deeviant' post='2091785' date='Nov 29 2009, 05:40 PM']I'm curious as to why people keep getting hung up on the fact that he hasn't spoken with the police? You do realize he doesn't have to speak with them if he doesn't want to, right? That has nothing to do with his money either. If you don't want to speak with the police you don't have to. There are lawyers that can do it for you. Any time law enforcement needs to spek with you it would be wise to direct them to your attorney. That is what a lot of attorneys get paid to do.
If anything I would say the police are giving this more attention because of who he is. Heck, I got hit by a car that was driving over 50 mph at the time of impact, and I never once spoke to the police. They never even showed up to the accident scene. The tow truck driver was the only person that bothered to come out.[/quote]
I agree. Where we disagree is his decision to not simply tell them he doesn't want to talk. He has played this cat and mouse game for 3 days now, telling them each day he will talk to them the next and then canceling. The problem with that is to even the most daft, it lends itself to speculation he is in fact waiting for wounds to heal as the police appear by published reports to be interested in trying to see if his injuries were in fact consistent with a car wreck. If he doesn't wish to speak with them, fine. Say I have no further comment and be done with it, if does wish to talk to them commit to it and do it. It's quite simple. It's not the officers that are keeping this going, it's him.

I think this all will quickly go away other than for the people who tend to get joy out of such things.
-Tiger will be charged w. reckless driving for hitting the fire hydrant and the tree...he's confessed to doing that citing he made a mistake.
-There will be no charges placed against his wife for any sort spousal abuse because Tiger is not going to press charges.
Case closed

It really doesnt matter so much as to the why it happened..only what happened

j33 460 9.5 ACCRA DyMatch 2.0 MT M4
Exotics cb1 13 Matrix Ozik
Mizuno jpx825 hybrid 16
j38cb's - 3-pw s300sl pro soft & j36pc GAT 95
j40 52,56 & Odyssey Metal-X #7H
average score = 75

News update, from Espn radio.
One of Wood's agents has told CNBC that Woods will have nothing further to say to the authorities in regards to this matter. He will not be answering any further questions they have.
link
[url="http://www.cnbc.com/id/34196857"]http://www.cnbc.com/id/34196857[/url]
""Although Tiger realizes that there is a great deal of public curiosity, it has been conveyed to FHP that he simply has nothing more to add and wishes to protect the privacy of his family."

Protect the privacy of his family by not talking to the police about running over a fire hydrant?

[quote name='TheDarkOne' post='2091833' date='Nov 29 2009, 05:05 PM']News update, from Espn radio.
One of Wood's agents has told CNBC that Woods will have nothing further to say to the authorities in regards to this matter. He will not be answering any further questions they have.[/quote]

whenever he gets back in a pga tour interview room, its not going to be pretty for him

[quote name='soberguy16' post='2091761' date='Nov 29 2009, 11:30 PM']my guess is that the woods camp is still waiting for facts to come in and see what else people are digging up...are there surveillance cameras that caught the accident?, what will rachel uchitel say in her first public comments?, will other witnesses or acquaintances come forward, etc. I'm sure his PR guys also want to see how everything pans out before he makes any "admission". There's big money in play here for everyone in the Woods camp...sponsors want to protect their investment, obviously Tiger wants to save face as much as he can, so there are a lot of factors in play here. If nothing else comes to light and this girl Rachel sues the enquirer, then Tiger is pretty much off the hook. If other things arise and Tiger has already come out and released a false statement, then he would look even worse. I think he has no choice but to stay quiet about everything and see what other "evidence" arises against him. He only has one shot at an apology and he wants to know exactly what he's going to have to apologize for. Aside from that I'm sure that his team has him practicing potential interview questions and prepare him thoroughly for the s***storm ahead of him from the media. He's going to have to have whatever story they decide to tell people 100% down pat and be able to answer any/all questions accordingly.[/quote]

That's an excellent point. I hadn't thought about that before my last post.

I see a gap. There definitely is a gap.

[quote name='golfing7861' post='2091835' date='Nov 29 2009, 06:07 PM'][quote name='TheDarkOne' post='2091833' date='Nov 29 2009, 05:05 PM']News update, from Espn radio.
One of Wood's agents has told CNBC that Woods will have nothing further to say to the authorities in regards to this matter. He will not be answering any further questions they have.[/quote]

whenever he gets back in a pga tour interview room, its not going to be pretty for him
[/quote]

I'd imagine arrangements will be made prior to any press conference Tiger gives in the near future. Tiger will likely not answer or acknowledge any questions related to this incident.

[quote name='imsocrabby' post='2091799' date='Nov 29 2009, 05:47 PM']agreed.

i don't DESERVE anything from Tiger Woods. but i am hella interested in what's happening. i'm a pop culture junkie.

the impact this is having on his sheople is incredibly interesting.

and entertaining.[/quote]

Dirty Harry said in Unforgiven 'DESERVE ain't got nuthin' to do with it' (cool)

[quote name='littlepingman' post='2091839' date='Nov 29 2009, 06:10 PM'][quote name='golfing7861' post='2091835' date='Nov 29 2009, 06:07 PM'][quote name='TheDarkOne' post='2091833' date='Nov 29 2009, 05:05 PM']News update, from Espn radio.

[/quote]

I'd imagine arrangements will be made prior to any press conference Tiger gives in the near future. Tiger will likely not answer or acknowledge any questions related to this incident.
[/quote]

Agreed. And I think that any reporter that does not adhere to the request will be blacklisted by TW in the future.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

Now for his response i am 100% positive that we all knew he was pretty much going to say what he said "absolutely nothing" and he doesnt have to, its his life, He is a celebrity and pretty much can do whatever he wants, I do think that there is a lack of respect for his fans but this is also from a guy that slams clubs hard and swears, He has his way about him take it or leave it, I personnal like his game and think he is the best but I also like seeing him get beat on the course and watch him thow tempertantrums, you gotta love hate him, but a little lack of respect for his fans,

Now it would be funny if at his next tourney if everyone following him wears a white tee shirt with a fire hydrant on the front. I think it would be funny.disrespectful but FUNNY.

One Vote to close thread this is now old news.

Some of you are pretty sad.

TMZ and National Enquirer are not "proof" that he did anything other than have a accident. Maybe if a legit news outlet ever comes out with facts about it, then I will believe it.

Until then, you guys can keep me entertained with all your speculation and "omg Tiger cheated" crusade. :D

[quote name='Johnny' post='2091437' date='Nov 29 2009, 02:10 PM']As you all know, I had a single-car accident earlier this week, and sustained some injuries. I have some cuts, bruising and right now I'm pretty sore.

[b]This situation is my fault, and it's obviously embarrassing to my family and me. I'm human and I'm not perfect. I will certainly make sure this doesn't happen again.
[/b]
This is a private matter and I want to keep it that way. Although I understand there is curiosity, the many false, unfounded and malicious rumors that are currently circulating about my family and me are irresponsible.

The only person responsible for the accident is me. My wife, Elin, acted courageously when she saw I was hurt and in trouble. She was the first person to help me. Any other assertion is absolutely false.

This incident has been stressful and very difficult for Elin, our family and me. I appreciate all the concern and well wishes that we have received. But, I would also ask for some understanding that my family and I deserve some privacy no matter how intrusive some people can be.[/quote]

I've been watching football all day and had no idea Tiger released a statement. IMO, it's stunningly inept wording and emphasis. The paragraph I highlighted in bold does absolutely nothing to help Tiger. Get rid of that paragraph and it reads like a sensible lawyerly statement that is really a wandering non-statement. But including that paragraph, and in such a prominent position early in the statement immediately following factual description of cuts and bruises, is tantamount to pleading guilty to every speculation. It allows everyone who has a cynical theory, no matter what it is, to think Tiger is acknowledging it, but simply doesn't want to specify.

The subsequent segments are drowned out, basically pathetic. How can Tiger complain about false and malicious rumors one paragraph after stringing themes like, "embarrassing," "human, not perfect," and, "certainly make sure this doesn't happen again," ?

Frankly, it reads like a parody. I'm sure that's not lost on guys like Stewart, Colbert, SNL and the late night comedians, although it will be interesting to see how vicious they are. Tiger has always gotten a pass in the media, his on course language and behavior never really ridiculed to the degree that seems warranted.

From
[url="http://www.zimbio.com/Tiger+Woods/articles/A2f_3uT7Hj7/Ashley+Sampson+Told+Enquirer+Alleged+Tiger"]http://www.zimbio.com/Tiger+Woods/articles...r+Alleged+Tiger[/url]

[i]Uchitel has since hired an attorney, Gloria Allred, who is instructing her to[b]keep quiet about anything related to Tiger [/b]and his wife Elin Nordegren. She refused to answer any of the Daily News' questions about the alleged affair, and the Enquirer has said they have plenty to disprove her denials. [/i]

Based on facts I tend to believe Mr. Woods' statements.
He hit his head during the accident, it doesn't look bad enough to knock him unconscious otherwise, without hitting his head.
The hit had to hit him unconscious, with no airbags going off, I think we can be pretty sure he hit his head somewhere on the steeringwheel/dashboard.

And wouldn't officials have seen the injuries in the hospital/at the scene already?

The obvious is pretty clear; and that is something occurred that isn't acceptable and it wasn’t the accident. The accident was most likely a result of a domestic issue making it unacceptable. Now of course a statement such as this isn’t substantiated by facts, and hopefully it’s incorrect.

With that said I understand why Tiger would like to and will keep quite. If he’s smart, and he is, he’ll stay away from making any comments. One thing, if you answer questions to the police and later they are found to be incorrect, then you can be prosecuted.

One question I have and that’s for the police. I thought the police said there were two 911 calls and one was from the wife. If so, why have I’ve only heard one.

I support staying the heck out of Tiger’s private life as long as the public isn’t harmed. Losing control of a vehicle, no matter the time of morning, puts the public in danger. The data (speed, angle of strike, skid marks, etc) and the circumstances involved in the accident should be made clear to the evaluating authority.

Also I would think Phil's name wouldn't be mentioned here - he's has nothing to do with this topic.

Titleist TSR-1 10.5 Speeder Driver, 3-wood, 7-wood
Callaway Epic Star Max, 5-wood

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 6-AW

Titleist TSR-1 Hybrids 5 and 6 

TM Putter

Srixon Z-Star

[quote name='Awsi Dooger' post='2091875' date='Nov 30 2009, 12:35 AM']...

Frankly, it reads like a parody. I'm sure that's not lost on guys like Stewart, Colbert, SNL and the late night comedians, although it will be interesting to see how vicious they are. Tiger has always gotten a pass in the media, his on course language and behavior never really ridiculed to the degree that seems warranted.[/quote]

I think it is THIS bad because it was rushed out in sync with the 911 tapes being released, to counter them. Everybody knows how bad it is when those get out, there is allways a good soundbite to be played over and over again. It looks like a word documents gone through a college study group rushing to get in an assignment in time.

[quote name='TheDarkOne' post='2091833' date='Nov 29 2009, 03:05 PM']Protect the privacy of his family by not talking to the police about running over a fire hydrant?[/quote]

as someone mentioned earlier..can you really call it a fire hydrant ? Afterall it was dry.. which is actually worse then not being there at all, I would think.

Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

[quote name='soberguy16' post='2091761' date='Nov 29 2009, 11:30 PM']my guess is that the woods camp is still waiting for facts to come in and see what else people are digging up...are there surveillance cameras that caught the accident?, what will rachel uchitel say in her first public comments?, will other witnesses or acquaintances come forward, etc. I'm sure his PR guys also want to see how everything pans out before he makes any "admission". There's big money in play here for everyone in the Woods camp...sponsors want to protect their investment, obviously Tiger wants to save face as much as he can, so there are a lot of factors in play here. If nothing else comes to light and this girl Rachel sues the enquirer, then Tiger is pretty much off the hook. If other things arise and Tiger has already come out and released a false statement, then he would look even worse. I think he has no choice but to stay quiet about everything and see what other "evidence" arises against him. He only has one shot at an apology and he wants to know exactly what he's going to have to apologize for. Aside from that I'm sure that his team has him practicing potential interview questions and prepare him thoroughly for the s***storm ahead of him from the media. He's going to have to have whatever story they decide to tell people 100% down pat and be able to answer any/all questions accordingly.[/quote]

You make much sense here. BUT I would like to add this:

At the core of Tigers image value lies his 14 major wins (even if they will be his total) in our brains, hearts and TV-clips. Have you noticed what CNN etc. runs when they talk about him? Those clips of him sinking the last puts winning the mentioned majors, pumping his hand. This programs us, the audience, to associate those wins, and him, with this messy situation - and nothing else. This deteriorates his core value as a brand.

This worry me, what is worth so much covering up that they risk these brand value jewells?

[quote name='Johnny' post='2091903' date='Nov 29 2009, 06:46 PM'][quote name='TheDarkOne' post='2091833' date='Nov 29 2009, 03:05 PM']Protect the privacy of his family by not talking to the police about running over a fire hydrant?[/quote]

as someone mentioned earlier..can you really call it a fire hydrant ? Afterall it was dry.. which is actually worse then not being there at all, I would think.

[/quote]

man, i bet if i ran over and damaged a fire hydrant i'd get 30 days in the electric chair :rolleyes:

The fact of the matter is, Tiger does not owe us any explanation.

[size=5][b]BUT[/b][/size]

Tiger is a product. A product that many of us buy into, whether it be through the purchase of his apparel or by watching him play on TV. If he wants to maintain the value of the product that he sells, he should try and repair this situation as best he can.

Does he deserve privacy? Sure. Should he expect any privacy? No. That expectation should have gone out the window when he signed his first big contract with Nike and Buick and Omega and..........

Thinking of my own driveway, I've had two incidents in about 23 years. One is my wife backed out, didn't see a parked car on the other side of the street, and backed into the side door of it, causing about $1500 damage and a small insurance claim. The other is, one of my teenagers backed into the other one's front bumper, not seeing that it was behind her, causing about $1000 damage, which came out of her summer job savings.

In both cases, I would just say to anyone who asked, here is what happened, what a stupid mistake.

It is pretty obvious in the case of this incident of Tiger's, that there is way more going on. Of course, he doesn't have to reveal this to anyone. And everyone has the choice to change their opinion, or buying habits, or viewing habits, of this celebrity, or not.

Probably not the way Jack or Arnie or others of that stature would have handled it, but it is what it is. Of course, Jack or Arnie would probably not have found themselves in this type of situation. Comes across more like a Bill Clinton "I did not have s.. with that woman, Monica L." type of attitude, while waving his finger at us on tv. Pretty much saying to the public, he will do what he wants and say what he wants, and it is none of your business. Tiger makes his choice on this, and he will be viewed accordingly.