2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Are "staff" bags too pretentious for Amateurs?

[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2096493' date='Dec 2 2009, 02:30 AM'][quote name='BIRDlovesNEWPORTS ' post='2096484' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:27 PM']Staff bags are great . . you just better have the game to back them up . . if so then get one[/quote]

what kind of game does one have to have to be acceptable to own and use a staff bag
[/quote]

For me it's enough if you love the game!

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='sevenfourate' post='2098426' date='Dec 2 2009, 08:15 PM']Must be a US thing.Seen this discussion a few times on US based websites,but never on a UK one.......

Ive done the Tour bag thing,as have many UK golfers: (Mainly so that we can carry all the required clothing needed for a game of golf in the 'potential' UK weather)....[/quote]

Absolutely! Weather can go from total rain and cold to bright sunshine. Add to that when I play competitions and a friend caddies - he won't accept getting wet, cold or hungry - so then you have to have storage for:

2 pairs of rain trousers
2 rain jackets
2 warm jumpers

Add to that if you play a course that doesn't return to clubhouse on the 9th:

3 liters of water
4 cheese sandwitches
2 chocolate bars

And in rain:
Extra towel
Extra gloves
Extra socks
etc..

The total weight is handled by a golf trolley. No prob!

If you don't want to look like an idiot with plastic bags hanging from your bag you go to a staff bag!

[quote name='1ftput' post='2104611' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:29 PM']so then you have to have storage for:

2 pairs of rain trousers
2 rain jackets
2 warm jumpers

3 liters of water
4 cheese sandwitches
2 chocolate bars

And in rain:
Extra towel
Extra gloves
Extra socks
etc..[/quote]

Sounds like you let my Wife pack your golf bag!

Whenever we go for a weekend we need 3 stuffed suitcases!

Seriously, do you need 2 complete rainsuits and 4 sandwiches? (although personally, I'd add a chocolate bar :D ) I'm not sure what a "war jumper" is, but I want one!

X________________________________ Sign Here

Jumper = Sweater

Ai Smoke 💎💎💎 9*, Diamana PD 60TX (D3) 8GF, 18GB 44.5"

ST-G Ti 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X, 43"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41" or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) CK PW 90TX

Callaway TCB 4-PW, Accra Tour 110i (TX)

MG3 50*, Modus 125 Wedge

T24 54.08D, T24 60.12V, Modus 125 Wedge

Toulon San Diego 34" Stability Tour, Chrome Tour X

[quote name='Hateto3Putt' post='2104887' date='Dec 5 2009, 01:01 PM'][quote name='1ftput' post='2104611' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:29 PM']so then you have to have storage for:

2 pairs of rain trousers
2 rain jackets
2 warm jumpers

3 liters of water
4 cheese sandwitches
2 chocolate bars

And in rain:
Extra towel
Extra gloves
Extra socks
etc..[/quote]

Seriously, do you need 2 complete rainsuits and 4 sandwiches? (although personally, I'd add a chocolate bar :D ) I'm not sure what a "war jumper" is, but I want one!

[/quote]

:busted2: Yes my girlfriend caddies sometimes.

Say you have a starting time at 07.00. It's raining, close to freezing and cold. An umbrella isn't enough in that situation. Both player and caddie needs rainsuits, when the weather clears up it can get hot. So off comes the rainsuit and the jumper.

And say that you got up at 05.00 to drive to the venue, you're hungry at 10.30, so you need to eat.

I have a staffer that normally is my storage bag. It has probably 30 clubs in the top and the pocket is filled with headcovers and towels.

However I do put it into service for golf trips when I know I am going to be carting all my rounds. It is great to be able to jam all my golf stuff in there and leave it there. There is nothing worse than being on number 3 and seeing the rain roll in only to realize your new rain suit is back in your suitcase at the room.

I agree with the name thing, its an etiquette thing. You have to earn your embroidery.

[quote name='1ftput' post='2105080' date='Dec 5 2009, 03:05 PM'][quote name='Hateto3Putt' post='2104887' date='Dec 5 2009, 01:01 PM'][quote name='1ftput' post='2104611' date='Dec 4 2009, 11:29 PM']so then you have to have storage for:

2 pairs of rain trousers
2 rain jackets
2 warm jumpers

3 liters of water
4 cheese sandwitches
2 chocolate bars

And in rain:
Extra towel
Extra gloves
Extra socks
etc..[/quote]

[/quote]

:busted2: Yes my girlfriend caddies sometimes.

Say you have a starting time at 07.00. It's raining, close to freezing and cold. An umbrella isn't enough in that situation. Both player and caddie needs rainsuits, when the weather clears up it can get hot. So off comes the rainsuit and the jumper.

And say that you got up at 05.00 to drive to the venue, you're hungry at 10.30, so you need to eat.
[/quote]

I hear you bro - sometimes i feel like i could do with one of those 30" shop display bags that hold like 100 clubs.Only then would i have enough space for 'everything'.

And while im here i'd just like to state that i would accept an invite to Augusta in a heart-beat. Hell,i might even use my staff bag with my name on it while im there...... ;)

PING - G20 - 9.5  degree - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
BRIDGESTONE J33 (15) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
MIZUNO Fli-Hi (17+20) - Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue - X
PING  ZING2 Irons (4-PW) - Black Lie angle - JZ Stiff
CALLAWAY MD3 Black (52+58 deg) DG Pro: S300
RIFE Iconic Three Putter -  343g  / 34.5" / 68 Deg 

TAYLORMADE TP5-X Yellow << 2021 Version >>

Regards "Shuv" : sevenfourate's WITB LINK (Click right here):

[quote name='phillypete' post='2105260' date='Dec 5 2009, 11:51 AM']I have a staffer that normally is my storage bag. It has probably 30 clubs in the top and the pocket is filled with headcovers and towels.

However I do put it into service for golf trips when I know I am going to be carting all my rounds. It is great to be able to jam all my golf stuff in there and leave it there. There is nothing worse than being on number 3 and seeing the rain roll in only to realize your new rain suit is back in your suitcase at the room.

I agree with the name thing, its an etiquette thing. You have to earn your embroidery.[/quote]

Exactly how I feel. I wouldn't put my name on it, unless it was a gift from someone, but while it's on the cart, who see's the name anyways?

Name might be going a bit far, personally. But having a bag that is available for retail, is beyond me how people feel it's just unacceptable for anyone without a card or PGA cert. to have one.

[quote name='FATC1TY' post='2105753' date='Dec 5 2009, 10:06 PM'][quote name='phillypete' post='2105260' date='Dec 5 2009, 11:51 AM']I have a staffer that normally is my storage bag. It has probably 30 clubs in the top and the pocket is filled with headcovers and towels.

I agree with the name thing, its an etiquette thing. You have to earn your embroidery.[/quote]

Exactly how I feel. I wouldn't put my name on it, unless it was a gift from someone, but while it's on the cart, who see's the name anyways?

Name might be going a bit far, personally. But having a bag that is available for retail, is beyond me how people feel it's just unacceptable for anyone without a card or PGA cert. to have one.
[/quote]

I think Ping says it well on their homepage:
[i]The same bag used by the PING professional staff, our Tour Staff Bag has additional internal
reinforcement to ensure durability under heavy use. Golfers will also find the quality and craftsmanship that’s made PING a preferred brand for more than 50 years. [b]The durable textured vinyl bags are a favorite of loyal PING players who want to leave no doubt as to their club of choice[/b].
[/i]

I don't think it really matters what kind of bag anyone uses. I think the matter of pretentious or not is moreso in the person who thinks someone is pretentious because he has a staff bag. It's a freakin bag.

FYI I think staff bags look cool. They are kinda bulky/heavy for regular use without a caddie?

Taylormade M1 440 Driver with Masters Edition Atmos Black 6x
Taylormade M2 Tour 3w with Speeder 661x
Titleist 915 hybrid with GD AD DI 95g x flex
Callaway X prototype irons with C Taper 125g
Seven 51, 55, 59 Wedges
Bettinardi Tiki 2017

• 2 weeks later...

i am a horrible player and i just bought the titleist s83 9.5" bag. i love it and it looks great. if people think im good because of my bag, then that's their problem not mine. does a bag advertise anything about the skill level of your game? i hope not. it's just a bag. there are no rules for what bag you are supposed to buy and who is supposed to buy it. i got it just so people would make comments to themselves about it. "that guy sucks, what is he doing with a staff bag?" in reality, no one has the balls to say anything to your face about it. they will snicker like women to each other and comfort each other by telling themselves that they would not be caught in a staff bag. congratulations...you have no balls to say anything to my face.

i dont remember the vendor asking me for a tour card when i purchased the bag, giving me the impression that a tour card was required. all he wanted was US dollars. get the bag!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, didn't realize how passionate people can get about a golf bag. But I'll weigh in and say that there's nothing wrong with a staff bag, regardless of ability. However, for years I thought it would be awesome to have one until I realized it was more cumbersome than anything. I at least like the option of walking when I play and the staff bag makes that impossible, and changing bags all the time is a pain.

To me, the real issue is the name on the side. My opinion is that they call it a "staff" bag for a reason -- that you're "on staff" for that company. It's definitely a throw back to club pros and tour pros. Since amateurs can't be sponsored, I never saw a reason for a big staff bag with a name plastered on it. On the other hand, I'd never bat an eye if I saw an amateur with their name stitched on a Hoofer. Just sort of horses for courses. There's a stature that comes with lugging around a staff bag, and it includes having a caddie around. For the most part, I'd expect Ams would be carrying their own clubs and in that case, a name makes sense.

[quote name='kevcarter ' date='01 December 2009 - 08:36 PM' timestamp='1259717816' post='2096513']
[quote name='OneBowTie' post='2096499' date='Dec 1 2009, 07:32 PM'][quote name='frozen_rope' post='2096488' date='Dec 1 2009, 08:29 PM']9" or 9.5" staff bag is perfect for cart riding. The clubs slide in and out easily, much better on a cart than any carry bag or cart bag. Also, in the trunk of a car or on airplanes the hard sided staff bag protects the clubs. If one rides a cart, staff bag is definitely the way to go.
However, personalizing a bag with the player's name is a right earned by Tour players, and only Tour players.
Amateurs should never, ever, have their name embroidered or silk screened on their golf bag. Name on the bag must be EARNED through excellent play to qualify for a major professional Tour.[/quote]

I did not know this
[/quote]

It's a secret, only the Rope knows...

Kevin
[/quote]

Funniest post ever! I must have missed that in the rules of golf, must be in the new revision. :tease::shout:

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

IMO having a staff bag is a little wierd unless you are a golf pro, I don't mean a tour pro. If you work in the pro shop and are sponsored by an equipment manufacturer and they give you a bag with your name on it to advertise thier clubs then great! especially if you tend to ride. If you walk at all and have a job outside of golf for a living then to me they make you look like a poser. Just my Opinion because you asked. But in the grand scheme of things no one really cares but you, so do what you want.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

I'm an 11 handicap and I have one. It's not big and shiny and pimped out with logos or my name. I bought it for 50$ as storage, but I plan on using it on golf trips for the storage. I don't think most people buy one to show off they're alleged golf game, I bet 80% of people buy them because of all the room they have.. you could fit a smartcar in some!

Just sayin'
KB

I have both a staff bag and a carry bag. I mainly use the carry bag, but I do like the storage of the staff bag. The only drawback with your name on the bag is if you want to sell them, not too many people are going to want to buy it. I have four old staff bags with my name on them (two Taylor Made, one Bridgestone, and one Nike) from the time I was on staff with those companies that are holding extra clubs in my garage.

Titleist TSR3 KBS Tour Driven

Titleist TSR2 5 & 7 wood KBS Tour Driven

Titleist T100 2023 4-PW KBS Tour

Titleist SM9 50°, 56°, & 60° KBS Tour

Swag Handsome One KBS GPS

I think you should get one. they are sweet, we all know it. These guys say you shouldn't unless your a pro or something like that, but chances are you won't be, so you can never get the bag you want? I see people with staff bags a lot, and i dont say, "wow what a tool". i say, "thats nice-oh, does that have his name on it? sweet." get one, and unless its really making you uncomfortable, use it.

[quote name='frozen_rope' date='01 December 2009 - 05:29 PM' timestamp='1259717359' post='2096488']
9" or 9.5" staff bag is perfect for cart riding. The clubs slide in and out easily, much better on a cart than any carry bag or cart bag. Also, in the trunk of a car or on airplanes the hard sided staff bag protects the clubs. If one rides a cart, staff bag is definitely the way to go.
However, personalizing a bag with the player's name is a right earned by Tour players, and only Tour players.
Amateurs should never, ever, have their name embroidered or silk screened on their golf bag. Name on the bag must be EARNED through excellent play to qualify for a major professional Tour.
[/quote]

After I grad from the PGM program I was given a staff bag with my name on it by a smaller known company, at the time they were atleast. Did I earn it maybe, do I care no. It sat in my office for a couple of years with my back up set. I did however bust it out in Pro-ams, because if your a tourney sponsor and shelled out 3-4 grand to play in a pro am; I personally wouldnt want my pro's caddy carrying around a ping hoofer 2. It looks kind of tacky. Me and a fellow WRX played golf yesterday and he said for sure I'd come out with a staff back. I said bah! I personally like keepin a low profile while I am playing a Casual round and enjoy my friends. Are the smaller ones practical yes. But on that off chance you have to walk I always bring my carry bag.

To the OP play what you want and who gives a hoot what others thing. Its your money, spend it how you see fit! And besides if your gonna suck at golf you might as well suck while lookin good!

I was given a TaylorMade TMX Carry Stand Bag by a rep at Taylor Made with my name on it.... is that OK to use? Now you guys are getting me self conscious... face it, we all care what people think or we wouldnt take the time to match our clothes and comb our hair.....

Nobody combs their hair anymore! It take a lil palmade run your fingers thru your hair and thats STYLE baby. pimp.gif

All Staff Bags are aimed at all handicap ranges. I don't see too many Seniors in their 70s carrying cary bags with their clubs in at my club, this does not mean however, that seniors are not allowed to buy these sort of bags. In a nutshell, if you own a staff bag great, you can fit a great deal more in them and your clubs can go in and out of the bag dividers with ease. If you are a 26 handicapper and hit the ball sideways and turn up on the 1st tee with a 10.5 inch Mizuno probag, great, if you enjoy playing the game like us and get enjoyment from having a large staff bag, then that's pretty satisfying! If anyone thinks that you are being pretentious, fair enough, it's not going to make the slightest difference to their game what bag you have!

[quote name='Nike VR ' date='02 December 2009 - 11:42 AM' timestamp='1259775753' post='2098163']
Funny story here about a staff bag. This guy last week sets up next to me on the range with a brand new big black Bridgestone bag. He hit about 3 balls it falls down..clang...clang. Stands it back up hit about 6 more balls falls down. Stands it back up 6 more shots later guess what falls down. I look at him and he says I thought these bags where made to stand up on thier on. I looked him in the eye and said......the issue you have is that usually a caddy will keep it up right for the pro...where is your caddy at. He looked at me took is bag and moved down to other end of the range.
[/quote]
LOL

This has been a funny thread for sure; when I first started playing golf I was in a Nevada Bobs and saw this huge 10 1/2" black Titleist staff bag that made my mouth drop open so I had to get it; well after a couple of years of laboring with that sack of rocks and wrestling that thing into and out of the trunk all while seeing all of the stand bags on the range eventually made me decide I wanted a Hoofer. I use both a Ping cart bag as well as a stand bag now but much prefer the stand. I agree with the poster who said use what you want to unless it makes you feel uncomfortable. Buy what you want but for me I use the most practical bag for me which is a stand bag. And even then I felt a little embarrassed when I got schooled by an old guy w/ his nameless generic beat up bag that he probably paid next to nothing for. Would I feel even more silly if that happened while I was sporting a shiny staff bag-well yeah but that's just me. It doesn't mean I will sell any of my bags but just puts the perspective more on my game instead of all the toys. My uncle has a Callaway staff bag w/ his name embroidered on it and loves it and thats all that matters.

[quote name='frozen_rope' date='01 December 2009 - 07:29 PM' timestamp='1259717359' post='2096488']
9" or 9.5" staff bag is perfect for cart riding. The clubs slide in and out easily, much better on a cart than any carry bag or cart bag. Also, in the trunk of a car or on airplanes the hard sided staff bag protects the clubs. If one rides a cart, staff bag is definitely the way to go.
Amateurs should never, ever, have their name embroidered or silk screened on their golf bag. Name on the bag must be EARNED through excellent play to qualify for a major professional Tour.
[/quote]

Crock. If I want my name in bright blinky LED lights on my bag, I'll have it in big bright blinky lights. Actually, now that I think about it, I may do it just for the cheese factor.