Champion's Tour Requirements

[quote name='Rhythm&TempoRenzo' date='08 March 2010 - 11:29 AM' timestamp='1268065774' post='2301750']
Thanks to all who responded positively, I appreciate & value your input - Thanks to all who responded negatively, because you drive me to even greater heights. News flash: I just got a few new sticks for 2010 and I'm about to go to the Trackman to test them out. The new stuff is a Callaway FT Tour 9.5 - VooDoo SNV6 1/2" Tipped (Green) & Vokey C-C wedges 54, 60 (bent to 59) & a 64. [b]I could easily get 105 yards out of my old 64 on a full swing[/b] - I wonder what I'll get with the C-C's?

I'm definately still going to pursue my Champions Tour dreams - maybe I'll do well, maybe I won't - but at least I'll have the courage to give it a try. For all of you who have been discouraged from pursuing your dreams - I wish you luck in discovering them again & possibly this time - putting the wheels in motion.
[/quote]

If you're talking about easily getting 105 out of a 64* wedge, you might want to try Long Drive competitions instead!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do NOT let anyone tell you you can't do this. Tough? You bet, but nothing that's worth anything ever comes easy. If it was, everyone would be doing it. Instead, keep your head down (no pun intended) and forge ahead. Only YOU can determine that you can't make it. The beauty is, you have the option to at least try. Good luck.

TITLEIST TSI3 9* - HZRDUS T1100 HANDMADE 6.0 
PING G410 15* - MITZ TENSEI PRO ORANGE 70X
PING G410 17* & 19* - MITZ TENSEI BLUE X & EF BLACK X
SRIXON ZX7's - 4-PW w/SPECIAL, TOUR ISSUE, BLACK KBS TOUR V 125'S
CALLAWAY PM2 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY STROKE LAB EXO 7S - CUSTOM

SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 TOUR ISSUE 3x CHOCOLATE NEWPORT BEACH
2017 BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's & TITLEIST PRO V #1'X

please let us know how you make out in your quest....

.....i have feeling you will do ok!!

Giga XF0710* driver/Hirohonma twin marks 355 10.5* driver
TEE XCG5 16.5* 4W, Giga XF-11 17* 4W
Daiwa New Super Lady 21* 7W
Mizuno Intage 27* 9W
Giga U3 21* hybrid
Tourstage Viq U5 25* hybrid
Adams V4 6H/7H
Adams V4 forged irons 8-PW,GW,SW,LW
HEAVY PUTTER mid-weight K4 putter
Sun Mountain H2N0 stand bag
Wilson Harmonized 55*/60*wedges
Cleveland 588 56/60

"I wanted to _________ but some guys I didn't know talked me out of it" isn't a good way to lead your life.

I'd rather inhabit a space somewhere between dreams and calculations than be tethered to either; so, it seems, would you... good luck.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

[quote name='Rhythm&TempoRenzo' date='08 March 2010 - 11:29 AM' timestamp='1268065774' post='2301750']
For all of you who have been discouraged from pursuing your dreams - I wish you luck in discovering them again & possibly this time - putting the wheels in motion.
[/quote]

Make no mistake my friend ... I NEVER gave up on my "dreams". I worked my butt off, and never allowed myself to think that I wasn't good enough.

But the COLD, HARD FACTS of the matter is this: The Champions Tour does not want you out there! They have made it almost impossible to gain regular access so that even if you are good enough to play, your chances of getting the opportunity are almost zero. If you get through a Monday qualifier, and play in the tournament, unless you finish top 10 you're going to have to go through the same thing the next week. It's set up that way to prevent "Mr. Regular Joe" from gaining access. They only want their "Cash Cows" on TV selling advertising and sponsor money. Believe me or not ... I could care less. But I've been there, and I know the process intimately. I'm not bitter, either. I had my chance. I simply wasn't quite good enough. Perhaps you'll fare better.

Your BEST chance of gaining playing privileges are to get through the Q-School. But even then it's not a guaranteed ticket into the tournaments.

And also don't think for a minute that I would discourage ANYONE from following their dreams and desires. But like my father used to tell me ..... [i]"Son, there's a very fine line between brave ... and stupid!"[/i] I hope you personally know where to draw the line.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

Don't focus on what might or might not happen. Put the blinders on, take your family and friends with you and good luck.

D - Ping G400 10.5* - Diamana Blueboard
3 - Callaway X2 Hot 15* - Diamana Blueboard
5 - Nike VR Pro Limited Edition 19* - Diamana Blueboard
3i - Ping G410 Crossover 20* Evenflow
4-PW - Mizuno MP60 - DG S300
53* & 60* - Mizuno MP-T - DG S300
P - Odyssey White Hot Pro Rossi

• 10 months later...

[quote name='ahl3bomber ' timestamp='1296105174' post='2928469']
[quote name='tembolo1284' timestamp='1296104095' post='2928428']
so did he make it?
[/quote]

I would think not, as if he did, he would have posted here and told us!!
[/quote]

Haha, poor fellow!

Hope he can come by soon and tell us about his experiences.

Wishon 919 THI 11* 0.5* Open
Wishon 929 HS 14.5*, 19* 0.5 Open
Wishon 775HS 22*, 25*
Wishon 5, 6 560 MC 7-PW MMC MB
Wishon 54, 59 Micro-Groove HM
All shafts are S2S Stepless Steel Wishon

Hey Guys - I'm glad to see that someone remembered this thread. Here's a quick update:

My 50th birthday is this September, so I still have a little prep time remaining. I'll be hitting a lot of mini-tour events this coming season for preparation as I think it will be a good test. I've even befriended a few PGA pros that think I've got what it takes. All in all 2011's gonna be an interesting year...

P.S. - Thanks so much for remembering the thread. :)

Titleist 913D3 7.75* w/RIP Phenom 60 Stiff Flex
Titleist 913F 12.75* w/RIP Phenom 80 Stiff Flex
Titleist 983K 8.5* w/Project X 7C3 Stiff Flex
Callaway FT Tour 18* w/Project X 5.5 Graphite
Titleist 690.MB 2-Pw w/Project X Flighted 6.0
Vokey Spin-Milled - 54/11, 59/06 & 64/07 w/TTS300
Yes! Nicky @ 32" w/UST Freq Filtered Shaft
Yes! Callie-fc Blackout @ 31.5" (Alternate 1)
Odyssey Black Series #1 w/UST Freq. Filtered Shaft
IOmic Grips throughout the bag...

Good to hear it, buddy! I hope you continue to pursue your passions. BTW, the bowling anecdote was interesting. As someone who picked up bowling to get a competitive outlet during NE winters I can certainly appreciate the skill level associated with tournament level bowlers. Watching guys who average 220+ on a league shot flounder to tossing 150s on a US Open shot really opens up your eyes a bit.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

I liked the comment above on the "intangibles."

Even if you have a great game, some people can handle the pressure and some can't.

Bobby Jones said (in the 1930's)...

"There is golf...there is tournament golf..and there is national championship golf."

Still true today.

It is not until you play with a world class athlete until you know how good they I. I wrestled in college, pretty good, went to Nationals once...but an Olympic level wrestler cleaned my clock. Scary good.

Same with golf.

TM M2 driver (2016)
TM M2 3 and 5 woods (2017)
PXG 19 degree hybrid

PXG 4 iron, XF
Epon 303 5-PW
Miura wedges, 53 and 59, Y grind
1964 Designed by Palmer

If you are from detroit then join michigan publinx and if you can beat Bill Zylstra or AC burkes you have a very small chance.[quote name='Rhythm&TempoRenzo' timestamp='1266673513' post='2264527']
Thanks to all who replied to my original post, the info was great. Here's a bit of my history:

When I was in my 20's I had aspirations of becoming a Pro Bowler - I was told that I did'nt have a candles shot, but I worked hard and played the PBA Western Regional Tour for 4 yrs and graduated to the National Tour where I made a good living for close to 6 years.

Can you imagine the pressure of bowling a 54 game block just for the opportunity to continue competing. It was always tough - but any spectator who asked me how could they get to the PBA Tour - I laid the whole thing out for them - built up their confidence with "IF I CAN - YOU CAN", signed an autograph and kept bowling trying to reach the finals.

Tendonitis took me out of the sport. Although I never made the TV telecast (I missed it by a single pin once) I played with greats like Hall of Famer Earl Anthony, the Webbers, Williams, Dukes and many others. It was an awesome experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Now back to golf - I have played a few rounds with some present day tour members (I will not mention any names) and performed very well, I have'nt played on any leagues in my local area - I just worked hard on my game 7 days a week. I've been asked multiple times as to why I have not thrown my hat into the professional golf arena. My answer was always: "I believe that I need more experience".

By my 51st birthday I'm confident that I will be ready, why? - because I have confidence in me. Thats what its all about - if you don't have confidence in yourself - you'll never attain any of your dreams. On any given day the most confident player (not the most arrogant) can beat anyone at least once. Is'nt that what we all really want?
[/quote]

[quote name='scratchfish' timestamp='1296179665' post='2930900']
If you are from detroit then join michigan publinx and if you can beat Bill Zylstra or AC burkes you have a very small chance.[quote name='Rhythm&TempoRenzo' timestamp='1266673513' post='2264527']
Thanks to all who replied to my original post, the info was great. Here's a bit of my history:

When I was in my 20's I had aspirations of becoming a Pro Bowler - I was told that I did'nt have a candles shot, but I worked hard and played the PBA Western Regional Tour for 4 yrs and graduated to the National Tour where I made a good living for close to 6 years.

Can you imagine the pressure of bowling a 54 game block just for the opportunity to continue competing. It was always tough - but any spectator who asked me how could they get to the PBA Tour - I laid the whole thing out for them - built up their confidence with "IF I CAN - YOU CAN", signed an autograph and kept bowling trying to reach the finals.

Tendonitis took me out of the sport. Although I never made the TV telecast (I missed it by a single pin once) I played with greats like Hall of Famer Earl Anthony, the Webbers, Williams, Dukes and many others. It was an awesome experience that I will cherish for the rest of my life.

Now back to golf - I have played a few rounds with some present day tour members (I will not mention any names) and performed very well, I have'nt played on any leagues in my local area - I just worked hard on my game 7 days a week. I've been asked multiple times as to why I have not thrown my hat into the professional golf arena. My answer was always: "I believe that I need more experience".

By my 51st birthday I'm confident that I will be ready, why? - because I have confidence in me. Thats what its all about - if you don't have confidence in yourself - you'll never attain any of your dreams. On any given day the most confident player (not the most arrogant) can beat anyone at least once. Is'nt that what we all really want?
[/quote]
[/quote]

go to Palm Springs....live in a pipe...mooch off others....and your on your way! :good:

[quote name='KDMullins' timestamp='1268074325' post='2302090']
Thanks to all who responded positively, I appreciate & value your input - Thanks to all who responded negatively, because you drive me to even greater heights. News flash: I just got a few new sticks for 2010 and I'm about to go to the Trackman to test them out. The new stuff is a Callaway FT Tour 9.5 - VooDoo SNV6 1/2" Tipped (Green) & Vokey C-C wedges 54, 60 (bent to 59) & a 64. [b]I could easily get 105 yards out of my old 64 on a full swing[/b] - I wonder what I'll get with the C-C's?

I'm definately still going to pursue my Champions Tour dreams - maybe I'll do well, maybe I won't - but at least I'll have the courage to give it a try. For all of you who have been discouraged from pursuing your dreams - I wish you luck in discovering them again & possibly this time - putting the wheels in motion.
[/quote]

If you're talking about easily getting 105 out of a 64* wedge, you might want to try Long Drive competitions instead!
[/quote]

If your hitting a 64 degree wedge 105 yards(in the air), you have some swing issues, like huge huge huge delofting

[quote name='pinhigh27' timestamp='1296344808' post='2935556']
[quote name='KDMullins' timestamp='1268074325' post='2302090']

[/quote]

[/quote]

If your hitting a 64 degree wedge 105 yards(in the air), you have some swing issues, like huge huge huge delofting
[/quote]

Or excessive swing speed. I've seen people pick a 64 and hit it 110. But those two were FREAKS.

I have been told that if you can get your C card you can play in qualifiers. I had a friend that obtained his and that is what he said.
I would think that to have any shot at the Champions you need to be a plus 2, and play at that level at different courses not just your home course. Lots of people have low handicaps at a home course they play 100 times a year or more, you have to be able to take in on the road.

• 2 months later...

Chase your dreams. Props for that.

However, the fact you haven't even been playing in mini tours or leagues (at least that's what you've said here) is alarming.

You're going to "start" hitting the mini tours? These guys in the Champions tour have been competing at the highest level for multiple decades.

You will have to be a special player to compete with the likes Couples. Last I checked he was shooting under par at the Masters.

You?

• 1 year later...

Just found this thread and found it interesting. I also dream of playing the Champions Tour someday, although I'm just getting back into the game after a 6 year break from golf and have only posted one score in my life in the 70s.

I had a thought that someone who hasn't been playing since they were very young and didn't play college, mini tours, web.com, or PGA may have an advantage in getting on the senior tour because their body hasn't been beat up for decades of non-stop golf. Couldn't this be a factor? Obviously when you have the likes of Couples playing, it's going to be tough, but maybe a significant amount of the Champion Tour players have wrist, knee, and back problems where you might not. I am probably down playing just how amazing these guys are on the tour though. But maybe they are bored and don't play with the fervor they once did in the 20s and 30s when that was their living and making cuts meant paying their mortgage and bills. I dunno.

• 4 weeks later...