Anyway to install grip...without a vise...?

usfbulls09

Yeah, so I would like to try to experimenting with a few different grips, but the cost to install a new grip is $4-5 dollars per grip, plus the $3-7 cost of the grip...I don't have a vise, or any real place to put one (Apt, not house), and nobody I know actually has one either. Is there anyway to install a grip without a vise, or if it's necessary, does anyone know where to buy a cheap one? Thanks!

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What type of grips are you planning on installing? When I install clubs at home, I just do it over the sink, laying the club face down on the counter and bracing it with one hand while sliding the grip on with the other. Winn grips can be rather difficult to do this way, but I have been able to do it with some practice.

Titleist TSR3 KBS Tour Driven

Titleist TSR2 5 & 7 wood KBS Tour Driven

Titleist T100 2023 4-PW KBS Tour

Titleist SM9 50°, 56°, & 60° KBS Tour

Swag Handsome One KBS GPS

I was planning on installing some Tour Wrap 2G when they come out...either that or some regular GP Tour Velvets...I need either a .600 grip with 3 extra wraps, or a .580 with 1 extra wrap. I tried the GP Multi-Compounds, but I just like the normal grips better, plus the Multi-Compounds are wearing out quickly on my wedges, and I'm going to have to replace them soon anyway. So you can just slide them on without any clamp, that's good to hear, I will definitely try that, thanks for the advice!

Edit: Is it difficult to twist once they are on? I mean, as soon as I put them on, will I have a few seconds or so to line them up properly or are they quick-drying? I'll definitely experiment on some old clubs first, but just wondering, thanks again!

[quote name='sshashid87' date='06 February 2010 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1265507978' post='2233020']
I was planning on installing some Tour Wrap 2G when they come out...either that or some regular GP Tour Velvets...I need either a .600 grip with 3 extra wraps, or a .580 with 1 extra wrap. I tried the GP Multi-Compounds, but I just like the normal grips better, plus the Multi-Compounds are wearing out quickly on my wedges, and I'm going to have to replace them soon anyway. So you can just slide them on without any clamp, that's good to hear, I will definitely try that, thanks for the advice!
[/quote]

With extra wraps, make sure that you use enough solvent, there is no such thing as too much when you are first starting to do them over the sink. I even use a plastic tub to catch the extra so that I can pour it back into the bottle and re-use.

Titleist TSR3 KBS Tour Driven

Titleist TSR2 5 & 7 wood KBS Tour Driven

Titleist T100 2023 4-PW KBS Tour

Titleist SM9 50°, 56°, & 60° KBS Tour

Swag Handsome One KBS GPS

[quote name='PGA_09' date='06 February 2010 - 09:01 PM' timestamp='1265508095' post='2233025']
[quote name='sshashid87' date='06 February 2010 - 08:59 PM' timestamp='1265507978' post='2233020']
[/quote]

With extra wraps, make sure that you use enough solvent, there is no such thing as too much when you are first starting to do them over the sink. I even use a plastic tub to catch the extra so that I can pour it back into the bottle and re-use.
[/quote]

I do the same thing with the solvent. No need to waste solvent just because it was used a bit once. Good luck changing out your grips.

I've never used a vice, even with putters. The first few are a bit tough, but it's easy once you get the hang of it. I like using one of [url="http://www.golfworks.com/product.asp_Q_pn_E_GIT"]these[/url] just to make it easier. It allows the grip to slide on easier so there's less adjusting that needs to be done. Use plenty of solvent so you can have enough time to get it perfect.

My experience with regripping irons without a vice and extra tape wraps has been hit or miss. PGA_09's advice can't be overstated! Use way more grip solvent then you think you need, make sure the inside of the grip is completely washed with solvent also, pour excess over the tape, try to align the grip as close as possible to they way you want it, slide it on quickly. Once it's on tap gently on the floor and then give the grip a good final push down the shaft. Then turn it so your Logos are lined up. That isn't really hard if you are quick and that tape is well soaked. And definitely use some kind of catch pan so you can reuse all of that solvent. Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

Got it, I will definitely use a lot of solvent, it's only $6 a quart or something, that'll be worth the cost even if I lose some. I've seen my club fitter change grips, but I want to make sure I have the steps down right.

1. Cut off old grip with knife, and the old tape. Clean shaft with solvent?
2. Use double sided tape and lengthwise, wrap it around the shaft 4 times (if using a .600 grip) or 2 time (.580) (trying to get +1/32")
3. Cap the butt of grip with tee, fill with solvent and make sure solvent coats inside of grip. Pour out all the solvent onto the tape, and probably use a little extra solvent on the tape as well.
4. Slide grip down shaft until shaft hits end of grip, twist grip to make it's aligned properly, and then press the grip so it sticks to the tape(?)
5. Let dry for several house (Should I lay the club flat on the ground, or set the club on its grip, or on the clubhead?)

Thanks for the help!

[quote name='Ogriv83' date='06 February 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1265507949' post='2233017']
Im with PGA_09 on this. I regrip every year and have never used a vice. I just clamp it down on the sink or [b]hold the club head between my feet and slide the grip on[/b]. then its just tweaking it to get it straight.
[/quote]

That's how I re-grip all my clubs as stated above. Just pour solvent on tape over the sink then stand club up between feet and slide on.

Handicap:  3

Quick question, if I am trying to build up to +1/32", and use a .58 round grip, am I going to use 2 total wraps of tape? I was pretty sure that it is +1 wraps, but on another post somewhere, I read that I would need significantly more...anyways, thanks for all the help so far, if anyone has any advice, it'd be appreciated thanks!

This really depends on the grip. Round grips can be put on without a vise anytime, but grips with reminders are a different story. I use a club vise clamp with a line on the wall in front of the head to line up the leading edge with. Then I install the grip with the reminder perfectly straight. It's hard to screw up a round grip except by stretching it too far or not enough. Use one loose grip to measure each grip after installed.

[quote name='Ogriv83' date='06 February 2010 - 05:59 PM' timestamp='1265507949' post='2233017']
Im with PGA_09 on this. I regrip every year and have never used a vice. I just clamp it down on the sink [b]or hold the club head between my feet and slide the grip on.[/b] then its just tweaking it to get it straight.
[/quote]

That's what I do....no problems doing that for 15 years now.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

Gotcha, I will probably try holding the club between my feet first, and if not, I will look towards the Workmate (definitely will be worth it at $70, can get a lot of use out of it). I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to tools though, what are the hook blades you guys are talking about? Are they just curved blades? Sorry if that sounds stupid, I just have a regular stanley utility knife, but I will check out lowes tomorrow and try to find the new blades...thanks for all the advice, really appreciate all the replies, i will let you know how everything works out...

Hook blades are available at Lowes/HD or any hardware store - you will know them when you see them (they are just what they sound like). They will fit in a standard utility knife. The blade is on the inside curve of the hook allowing you to slide the point of the hook under the edge of the grip and zip it right up the grip. Much safer for yourself and any graphite shafts you are re-gripping.

Cobra Fly Z+ Driver
Cobra Fly Z Faiway
TM Aero Burner Hybrid
TM RSi1 4-AW Irons
TM Tour Preferred ATV 56*
SC Fastback 1.5

You should be able to assemble these items for less than $15. The first is a hand clamp ($4=$10) that you can use to clamp the club to the edge of the counter. The next item is the rubber shaft clamp protector ($1-$3)that slips onto the shaft that the hand clamp grips on to. And finally, a hook blade ($1-$5) that makes old grip removal a breeze.

clamp.jpgrubber_shaft_clamp.jpg22-00919_Superknife_Hook_Blade.jpg

You could probably regrip a club or two using none of these tools, but they don't cost too much and will last a long time.

X________________________________ Sign Here

I'd recommend a spray bottle to apply the solvent. I don't use a tee in the cap trick, just place my finger over the endcap hole. Give the solvent 3 to 4 sprays inside the grip then shake the grip to distribute the solvent evenly. Pour over tape when complete. Remember to slide the grip on quick and hard, you can adjust after the shaft has seated. Important: make sure the shaft has seated itself all the way against the endcap. Give a good slam against the ground to make sure. Good luck and thanks for choosing Golf Pride!

Alright, so after a trip to Lowes, I ended up buying a similar clamp to the one shown (thanks Hateto3putt), and the hook blades for like $15 total...I'm going to check out Golfsmith tomorrow and see if they have the rubber shaft clamp and some solvent/tape/grips/installer tool shown above, then I'll be ready to go...I'll let you know how it all works out, thanks for all the help!

Pour the solvent over the grip... normally into a coffee can. Place the club on the floor in 'address' position to brace it. Then slide the grip straight on. Been doing it that way for 35 years

Driver: To temperamental
3 wood: Callaway Razar Fit 15
5 wood: Callaway Razar Fit 18
Hybrid: Adams Pro Gold 16, 20, 24
Irons: Mizzy 825 5-pw
Wedges: Mizzy 53 GW
Putter: TPM 16 or Wilson tour special

I have regripped my own clubs for years and never had a vice - I simply do it this way:

1) get the club ready to accept the grip - pulling old grip - and installing the grip tape
2) place a tee in the butt cap of the grip to be installed to plug it up - and then squirt in enough solvent to coat the inside of the grip - placing my thumb on the end of the grip and shaking it to ensure the entire inner surface of the grip gets coated - then set it aside
3) then over a container - and I just use a kitchen 2 cup measuring cup - I carefully apply solvent to the shaft - then I pour the remaining solvent inside the grip over the tape -
4) then I just hold the shaft with my left hand - and slide the grip on with my right - and straigten it up
5) when done I just pour all the solvent I captured in the measuring cup back into the bottle of solvent to be used again

just regripped 11 clubs in about 30 minutes the other night - no vice, no mess

Lol that's exactly what I want to avoid...I tried to do one grip today, it worked out pretty well, a little bit crooked but I used some cheap grip and a very old club so it doesn't matter too much...felt a little uneven so for the rest of the grips I'm gonna put a few extra wraps under the bottom hand...thanks for all the help, was pretty painless and quick....only spent like $15 on tools so definitely worth it, can't belice I paid like $5 to
install each new grip Before... that's ridiculous...thanks for the help!