2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Cally FT-iZ Tour First Round Impressions

Lobber

Played my first round this morning with my new Cally FT-iZ Tour 9.5 with stock Voodoo shaft. I had a gift card from Roger Dunn in Santa Ana that was burning a hole in my pocket. I originally went in to buy the Mizuno MP630 Fast Track which they did not carry so I left with the Cally.

For comparison my gamer is a Ping G15 9 degree with Matrix Ozik HD 6. Here are my findings

Distance - A good 10 to 15 yards longer on average than my Ping G15 which is long also. I was consistently hitting it way past my normal spots on my home course. The ball just flies off the face

Trajectory - A little higher than my Ping but no balloons. Mid High BORING flight that scoots after it hits the ground.

Forgiveness - Mucho! Bad shots want to go straight and find the fairway. I missed one fairway ob when I blocked the tee shot but it still went straight, just the wrong way.

Sound -Very nice and well mannered.

Feel - Good feel. Not quite as hard as my Ping.

Bottom line-I need a few more rounds but intial impressions are that the Ping G15 could soon be on the block.

My stats -8 HCP, bad short game. Driver ss 105 to 109. High spin player.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did you find the spin levels with the FT-iz?

Only hit the tour 9* version with the standard stiff flex shaft and thought it was pretty low spin, certainly got my interest

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

Thanks for the feedback. I really want to get one. I am currently playing an i15 and love it, however my miss is a slice and if I am not careful I can really lose one . Would love to have the extra confidence of thinking the ft-iz will minimize the damage from a bad swing. From what I have been reading this club is helpful at reducing side spin. Have you found this to be the case ?

nice review. the IZ seems like a sweet stick. callaway is making some great clubs right now

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

I think it is pretty low spin as it rolled out nicely after hitting the ground. The Ping G15 Matrix is a low spinner and I was consistently 10 to 15 yds past my normal spots with the G15. Honestly, I hit the Cally last week at a demo day in Carlsbad, CA and was not overly impressed. I went in to buy the Mizzy MP630 Fast Track which I was killing at the demo day but the store does not sell Mizzy Woods. So out I walked with the FT-iZ and man am I glad I did.

[quote name='gianni13' date='13 March 2010 - 02:01 PM' timestamp='1268510466' post='2313706']
Saw it yesterday at Dick's, they only had the non-tour model. It was really closed, I hope the tour one is a little more square. I found it pretty ugly, maybe I could get used to it.
[/quote]
They are. You have to go with the half lofted clubs on this one.

[quote name='SPY ZINGER' date='13 March 2010 - 03:25 PM' timestamp='1268511916' post='2313734']
[quote name='gianni13' date='13 March 2010 - 02:01 PM' timestamp='1268510466' post='2313706']
Saw it yesterday at Dick's, they only had the non-tour model. It was really closed, I hope the tour one is a little more square. I found it pretty ugly, maybe I could get used to it.
[/quote]
They are. You have to go with the half lofted clubs on this one.
[/quote]

I haven't been really looking, but I came across a non tour version in the store the other day. It was severely closed, and I couldn't stand to look at it at address. The shape of the head really lends itself to showing where you have the face angled at!

[/quote]

Saw non-tour model today and lined the shaft up with a carpet seam - the face looks 3-4 degrees closed. Looked terrible.

The tour looked to be setting up open slightly.

I don't think it's really ugly.. I just found the non tours to be so slanted closed that I couldnt see how it was appealing at address. Not really loving the shape of it.. But Callaway has always been on the side of the fairway that went with cutting edge.

I haven't swung one, but from what I hear, it's a damn solid driver...

Lobber, great review, I got mine 3 weeks ago but only got to play a round last week and had similar results. I got the Imix version with the stock voodoo I also have a WB from my FT-9. I only got a chance to play with the WB so far, I hit the voodoo on the launch monitor and got great numbers (back spin 2460 rpm, side spin 12 rpm), I cant wait to get out and compare the two. I just have to say anyone looking to minimize a slice (obviously wont cure it) IMHO this is the club for you. I just picked up the 3 wood which I think is aesthetically better than the driver. Has anyone had a chance to play the 3 wood, Looks like I wont be able to get out until Tuesday or Wednesday to try it since we are getting a monsoon on the east coast?

[quote name='craz-e' date='13 March 2010 - 01:14 PM' timestamp='1268504049' post='2313534']

[size="3"][color="#8b0000"][b]Only hit the tour 9* version[/b][/color][/size] with the standard stiff flex shaft and thought it was pretty low spin, certainly got my interest
[/quote]

Can you explain please ?

As they are wont to do Cally's GI drivers (closed a couple of degrees) are "even" degrees, 9, 10, 11, etc.

Their FT-iZ "Tour" versions (square to 1 deg open) are in 1/2 degree lofts, e.g. 8.5, 9.5, 10.5,,,,,,,

I have seen some heads advertised on eBay that the sellers claim are"Tour heads of 9 degrees (EVEN degrees).

You said you hit the "9 degree tour version". can you explain the difference please ?

Thanks.

BTW, a couple of weeks ago at a "Demo Day" I hit a 9.5 Tour with a Diamana Blue board into a GALE of a wind and just killed it on a low, boring trajectory - no ballooning at all.

VERY impressive !!! Nothing's come close to knocking my TM TB TP out of the bag in over 2 years. Guess we'll see now. :good:

I hit the 9.5 w/stock voodoo, and 8.5 i-mix a/ x-con6. Sets up much better than the FT-iq tour. Square to a little open, great set up. Very solid, long and straight.

Titleist TSr4 10.0*  Mitsubishi WB 63 tx  
TaylorMade BRNR Mini 13.5* Kai'li white- tx
Srixon ZX5 (4-6) ZX7 (7-pw) KBS tour 130-x
Mizuno T20 51* TT x-100

Callaway Full Toe 54*, 60* TT x-100
Callaway PM Grind 64*
Toulon First Run Las Vegas DB

Pro V1

[quote name='Rockfish' date='14 March 2010 - 03:04 AM' timestamp='1268535879' post='2314344']
[quote name='craz-e' date='13 March 2010 - 01:14 PM' timestamp='1268504049' post='2313534']

[size="3"][color="#8b0000"][b]Only hit the tour 9* version[/b][/color][/size] with the standard stiff flex shaft and thought it was pretty low spin, certainly got my interest
[/quote]

Can you explain please ?

As they are wont to do Cally's GI drivers (closed a couple of degrees) are "even" degrees, 9, 10, 11, etc.

Their FT-iZ "Tour" versions (square to 1 deg open) are in 1/2 degree lofts, e.g. 8.5, 9.5, 10.5,,,,,,,

I have seen some heads advertised on eBay that the sellers claim are"Tour heads of 9 degrees (EVEN degrees).

You said you hit the "9 degree tour version". can you explain the difference please ?

Thanks.

BTW, a couple of weeks ago at a "Demo Day" I hit a 9.5 Tour with a Diamana Blue board into a GALE of a wind and just killed it on a low, boring trajectory - no ballooning at all.

VERY impressive !!! Nothing's come close to knocking my TM TB TP out of the bag in over 2 years. Guess we'll see now. :good:
[/quote]

Must have been the 9.5* version, all I know was it was in the shop and a tour version, wasn't supposed to be hitting it yet as it wasn't really a demo but my pro said go on and let me hit a handful of balls with it

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix 

I just hit the 9.5 tour with a stock voodoo stiff into the simulator range at my local Golf Galaxy. I would prefer an x-stiff for a little more consistency...but...

WOW!!! Granted; I hit the ft-9 and Diablo Edge Tour first and was warmed up, but I was just bombing the iz. My current ft-5, on the same simulator, carried at best around 280-290 with 305-310 total distance. If I remember my stats right, I was +/- 110ss, 160 ball speed, 13 deg launch, and 3000-3100rpm of back spin. This was approximately where I was with the FT-9 as well (except for a lower launch angle on the 9).

Avgerage on the iz was about 108ss, 167 ball speed, 9deg launch, 2800 rpm of back spin....my longest drive carried well over 300, and ened up at about 345 total yardage. I couldn't believe it; but I hit at least a half dozen others that went over 330. A couple of them were pushes; the longest was on a bit of a pull draw, but my last swing was a rocket up the middle with just a hint of a draw, and ended up at about 335 yards. My only question was what could this thing do with a slightly higher tee to get my launch angle up a bit, not to mention a shaft that would tighten my shot dispersion? This may have been the first time that I was really wowed by a driver. I drew in an awed crowd around the simulator.

How I walked out without one was amazing.

Round 2 this morning and all I can say is WOW, WOW, WOW! Long, long and long. I did manage to put a couple of bad swings on it today and hooked it but my goodness can this dog hunt. I don't think the stock Voodoo is as tight as the Matrix HD 6 in my Ping G15 and I wonder what would happen if I put that in the iZ but for now the Ft-iZ is in the bag and mister G15 is second string.

Since when is there a maximum ball speed for any swing speed? What do you think all of these engineers are trying to do with the technology they create? Goal #1...increase ball speed, thus, increasing distance.

I've hit various drivers over the years. One thing I've noticed is that rarely are two identical. Also, I know I've had the same swing speed from one driver to another and ended up with different ball speeds. If there was a maximum ball speed for a certain swing speed, then why have the manufacturers bothered with all of these advances in technology over the last 20 years?????

I have been comparing my iMix version (9.5 head) against my iMix FT-9 Tour, and so far the FT-9 has been the winner. I have a Fubuki Tour 63 X-Flex and a Xcon 6 Stiff and I have tried both heads with each shaft and I get longer and straighter drives from the Ft-9. I think the IZ is a good head, but for me the FT-9 is better.

Driver: GBB 9* 
3wd: GBB 15*  
Hybrid: Big Bertha 3hy
Irons: Apex cf 16 4-AW  
Wedges: MD4 54 & 58 W grind  
Putter: O-Works 7 black

[quote name='pavlam05' date='14 March 2010 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1268589775' post='2315153']
Since when is there a maximum ball speed for any swing speed? What do you think all of these engineers are trying to do with the technology they create? Goal #1...increase ball speed, thus, increasing distance.

I've hit various drivers over the years. One thing I've noticed is that rarely are two identical. Also, I know I've had the same swing speed from one driver to another and ended up with different ball speeds. If there was a maximum ball speed for a certain swing speed, then why have the manufacturers bothered with all of these advances in technology over the last 20 years?????
[/quote]

I'm not techie enough but I believe it's generally accepted that with the limits placed on COR (of the club face) that the maximum/ideal "smash factor" on a driver is 1.5.

i.e. 1.5 times your club head speed would be the maximum ball speed generated so in your case, 108 MPH SS the maximum ball speed would be 162. Perhaps you read the 2 as a 7 ?

All the manufacturers can work on now is finding a way to increase club head speed (See Adams and their "Fast 10") and all YOU can do to maximize your results is find a driver you can swing the fastest while still generating the best launch and spin numbers.

[quote name='pavlam05' date='14 March 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1268582475' post='2314975']
I just hit the 9.5 tour with a stock voodoo stiff into the simulator range at my local Golf Galaxy. I would prefer an x-stiff for a little more consistency...but...

WOW!!! Granted; I hit the ft-9 and Diablo Edge Tour first and was warmed up, but I was just bombing the iz. My current ft-5, on the same simulator, carried at best around 280-290 with 305-310 total distance. If I remember my stats right, I was +/- 110ss, 160 ball speed, 13 deg launch, and 3000-3100rpm of back spin. This was approximately where I was with the FT-9 as well (except for a lower launch angle on the 9).

Avgerage on the iz was about 108ss, 167 ball speed, 9deg launch, 2800 rpm of back spin....my longest drive carried well over 300, and ened up at about 345 total yardage. I couldn't believe it; but I hit at least a half dozen others that went over 330. A couple of them were pushes; the longest was on a bit of a pull draw, but my last swing was a rocket up the middle with just a hint of a draw, and ended up at about 335 yards. My only question was what could this thing do with a slightly higher tee to get my launch angle up a bit, not to mention a shaft that would tighten my shot dispersion? This may have been the first time that I was really wowed by a driver. I drew in an awed crowd around the simulator.

[/quote]

Your GG needs to tone down the tailwind.. Hahaha.

[quote name='Rockfish' date='14 March 2010 - 08:11 PM' timestamp='1268615497' post='2315968']
[quote name='pavlam05' date='14 March 2010 - 02:02 PM' timestamp='1268589775' post='2315153']

[/quote]

I'm not techie enough but I believe it's generally accepted that with the limits placed on COR (of the club face) that the maximum/ideal "smash factor" on a driver is 1.5.

i.e. 1.5 times your club head speed would be the maximum ball speed generated so in your case, 108 MPH SS the maximum ball speed would be 162. Perhaps you read the 2 as a 7 ?

All the manufacturers can work on now is finding a way to increase club head speed (See Adams and their "Fast 10") and all YOU can do to maximize your results is find a driver you can swing the fastest while still generating the best launch and spin numbers.
[/quote]

Exactly. The manufacturers are finding more distance by going down other avenues (head speed as you mentioned) like aerodynamics, shaft length, etc. All the new club head designs are focusing on making that max COR across the entire face, not just the little perfect sweet spot. Heads like the FTiz are also focusing on reducing side spin on those off center hits which will promote the straight flight and help with some of the poor swings during the round.

[quote name='FATC1TY' date='14 March 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1268616241' post='2316008']
[quote name='pavlam05' date='14 March 2010 - 11:01 AM' timestamp='1268582475' post='2314975']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I asked if they were playing with it immediately after the first good one I hit.

And no, I didn't read anything wrong. The clubhead speed was 108, the ball speed was 167. I was as surprised as anyone.

[quote name='pavlam05' date='15 March 2010 - 11:20 AM' timestamp='1268666433' post='2316927']
[quote name='FATC1TY' date='14 March 2010 - 08:24 PM' timestamp='1268616241' post='2316008']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I asked if they were playing with it immediately after the first good one I hit.

And no, I didn't read anything wrong. The clubhead speed was 108, the ball speed was 167. I was as surprised as anyone.
[/quote]

They were, don't act like you believed them... Real world, you ain't hitting it that far. It's expected here for everyone to hit it over 300, but try to be realistic when you see numbers like that. They were just as surprised as YOU, that you didn't walk out with the driver.

Got a chance to hit the 3 wood on the range and it was AWESOME! Much better than my squareway that i had, great medium/high boring trajectory, great feel off the face, and just like its big brother mis-hits went for the most part straighter than any other 3 wood i've used. I am planning on possibly getting out for a quick 9 tomorrow I'll let you know how it plays