2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Cally FT-iZ Tour First Round Impressions

Lobber

[quote name='Dr.JP' date='18 March 2010 - 05:19 PM' timestamp='1268968796' post='2326395']
[quote name='jshel' date='18 March 2010 - 11:09 PM' timestamp='1268968187' post='2326370']
What is the difference between the regular and tour FT-IZ aside from the tour being a little open and not having an alignment aid?

Anything else?
[/quote]

the tour makes you play like a tour pro :D. No you are correct as far as I know the only difference is the face angle (1 degree open for tour, square or 1 degree closed for the non tour versons)
[/quote]

9* and 10* are square for the non-tours and 11* and 13* are 1* closed.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the difference between the regular and tour FT-IZ aside from the tour being a little open and not having an alignment aid?

Anything else?

the tour makes you play like a tour pro biggrin.gif. No you are correct as far as I know the only difference is the face angle (1 degree open for tour, square or 1 degree closed for the non tour versons)

I sure hope this is the case but the 10* looked closed to me. It even looked more closed than the G-15 possibly due to the triangular shaped head. Either way it is a bomber.

Anything else?

the tour makes you play like a tour pro biggrin.gif. No you are correct as far as I know the only difference is the face angle (1 degree open for tour, square or 1 degree closed for the non tour versons)

I sure hope this is the case but the 10* looked closed to me. It even looked more closed than the G-15 possibly due to the triangular shaped head. Either way it is a bomber.

Mtngolfer1, what is your home course in Colorado and where do you typically play?

I may order an IZ with an upgraded shaft just to try against my Diablo Edge Tour in the next few weeks...

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

[quote name='Lobber' date='13 March 2010 - 02:00 PM' timestamp='1268503252' post='2313513']
Played my first round this morning with my new Cally FT-iZ Tour 9.5 with stock Voodoo shaft. I had a gift card from Roger Dunn in Santa Ana that was burning a hole in my pocket. I originally went in to buy the Mizuno MP630 Fast Track which they did not carry so I left with the Cally.

For comparison my gamer is a Ping G15 9 degree with Matrix Ozik HD 6. Here are my findings

Distance - A good 10 to 15 yards longer on average than my Ping G15 which is long also. I was consistently hitting it way past my normal spots on my home course. The ball just flies off the face

Trajectory - A little higher than my Ping but no balloons. Mid High BORING flight that scoots after it hits the ground.

Forgiveness - Mucho! Bad shots want to go straight and find the fairway. I missed one fairway ob when I blocked the tee shot but it still went straight, just the wrong way.

Sound -Very nice and well mannered.

Feel - Good feel. Not quite as hard as my Ping.

Bottom line-I need a few more rounds but intial impressions are that the Ping G15 could soon be on the block.

My stats -8 HCP, bad short game. Driver ss 105 to 109. High spin player.
[/quote]
I reviewed this on www.golfs411.com
I am in agreement with you. i also fit a guy against the superfast. Swing speed lower with the iZ but carry and distance was 12.3 yards further.
I hit it about 304 carry at 184 ball speed and total of 338. Launch is at 13.2 and spin of 2340. I have it with the diamana shaft Whiteboard.
SWWEET

Mat
Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5
Diamana Stinger x Flex

Callaway Epic 3W 15
Diamana Kali Blue Japan Spec

Mizuno 900 Tour 3H

PXG 0311XF 4 Project XLZ 6.0 Hardstepped. Plus 1/2 Inch
PXG 0311 5 - PW Project XLZ 6.0 Hardstepped. Plus 1/2 Inch

Callaway 50 56 (Bent to 55) 60 Mac Daddy Forged Chrome Blue DG Tour Issue S200

Callaway Chrome Soft X

[quote name='Mtngolfer1' date='19 March 2010 - 12:42 PM' timestamp='1269024138' post='2327504']
Casle Rock, CO - Castle Pines CC
[/quote]

Nice, I'm at Colorado National GC we'll have to get out and play some time!

Epic Flash SZ 9.5* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65X
Epic Flash 15.0* Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75X
Apex '19 20* Fujikura Atmos HB TS Blue 8X
X-Forged UT 21* KBS C-Taper Lite X
Apex CF19 Combo #5-P KBS $-Taper 120
MD4 Raw 50-S/56-X/60-S KBS 610 120
Odyssey MXM-V #7 "Tank" @ 38"
Snell MTB-X / Chrome Soft X Triple Track

Sorry, I should have read the rest. I play the CC the most my family has been members for over 15 years. But I play Red Hawk Ridge in Castlerock, The Ridge at Castle Pines North, Saddle Rock, Murphey Creek, Lone tree., Black bear.. most of the south area courses. We should try to play sometime. What a difference a day makes though..SNOW? Almost left off Bear Dance this is my favorite course.

Is the FT-iz a fairly low spin head? how does it compare to the FT9 and other offerings?

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

[quote name='craz-e' date='19 March 2010 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1269025100' post='2327532']
Is the FT-iz a fairly low spin head? how does it compare to the FT9 and other offerings?
[/quote]
I hit both and the 9 spins a bit less, but does not go as far

Mat
Diamana Stinger x Flex

Callaway Epic 3W 15

Mizuno 900 Tour 3H

Callaway Chrome Soft X

[quote name='craz-e' date='19 March 2010 - 02:58 PM' timestamp='1269025100' post='2327532']
[/quote]
Like the irons your gaming. I got the 710MB

Mat
Diamana Stinger x Flex

Callaway Epic 3W 15

Mizuno 900 Tour 3H

Callaway Chrome Soft X

[quote name='2011USAMPlayer' date='19 March 2010 - 07:03 PM' timestamp='1269025429' post='2327547']
[/quote]
Like the irons your gaming. I got the 710MB
[/quote]

Would love to game the MB's but probably too much for me, always looking for that extra bit of forgiveness when things aren't 100%

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X

[quote name='Mtngolfer1' date='18 March 2010 - 08:30 PM' timestamp='1268958603' post='2326012']

According to club fitter: Launch Monitor calibrated for Sea Level.

[size="3"]FT-IZ 10 deg: Average Swing Speed- 107 mph Average ball speed 160.4 mph Average launch 13.2 deg. Average Spin: 3110 Average Carry : 264 yards average total distance 277 yards[/size]

[size="3"]Ping G-15 9 deg: Average Swing Speed- 106 mph Average ball speed 159.8 mph Average launch 13.9 deg. Average Spin: 3290 Average Carry : 261 yards average total distance 268 yards.[/size][/quote]

Interesting numbers.

[quote name='Ian' date='22 March 2010 - 05:54 AM' timestamp='1269258869' post='2332767']
From what I'm reading here it appears that the Tour FT-iZ is available in i-mix but not the regular iZ, is that correct?
Great reviews guys!
[/quote]

Both the FT-Iz and FT-IZ tour heads are available in I-Mix. They take a few days but I expect mine to arrive tomorrow or Wednesday. When the Shop contacted Callaway they thought it would be a 3 day turnaround then I paid for express shipment.

[quote name='Mtngolfer1' date='18 March 2010 - 11:23 PM' timestamp='1268969039' post='2326407']
[quote name='jshel' date='18 March 2010 - 09:09 PM' timestamp='1268968187' post='2326370']

Anything else?
[/quote]

I am not totally confident in this but the way it was explained to me is the tour is 1 deg open and has deeper profile with a higher cog. I could not see this in comparing the RH models the Tour did not seem deeper IMO.
[/quote]

I was also under the impression that the COG was different. Wasn't that the case w/ the previous FT models? I always thought the tour heads had a bit higher COG which would result in different launch characteristics (lower launch and back spin).

Here is my first round impression since we are just opening here in Michigan. This has to be one of the best drivers I have ever hit. I hit it very low on the face pretty much all day, and I got excellent distance. On the good hits its very long, and excellent run out. Since I play the same course 150 times a year it easy to test drivers. First time using a Callaway driver and I think they have everyone beat.

I agree that this club has issues. Two pros told me it was square but I was forever trying to manipulate it so it looked square to me. My FT 9 naturally sets up in a great position. I don't find myself continually working to make it look correct. There's too much going on in golf to have to constantly fight the club. I hit it OK, not as consistent as my FT 9 / Fubuki.

Hi guys - thanks for the great feedback on the FT-iz.

Can anyone provide more info on the stock Voodoo shaft that comes with both the tour and non-tour model?

I have purchased the 8.5 tour i0mis head but could not come at the sotck Voodoo. I LOVE the after market 'real' Voodoo, but am not a fan of the low kick-point, high launch of the 'made-for Callaway' stock Voodoo.

Can anyone comment on the stock Voodoo - e.g. what other shafts does it compare to?

Thinking I may pair my 8.5 head with a Diamana Blueboard - any direct experiences with this combo? Otherwise may choose to hang out for the new Kai'li when it comes to i-mix.

Thanks, thanks, and... thanks!

I have an FT-IZ 8.5 I-Mix with a Fubuki 63 currently and I think it is a great club. I love how many fairways I hit now plus my average distance is much longer. I am a tinkerer though and just got a 9.5 I-mix head and a Kai'li 60 with a Whiteboard on the way. The shafts are fairly similiar in spin but launch differently according to a mitsu chart I found in one of the threads here. I want to see which combo gives me the right blend of trajectory, carry, and roll. BTW Does anyone know the ideal launch and spin numbers for a 98-100 mph swing?

Cobra F9 9.0 Hzdus Smoke 60
Callaway Epic Flash 13.5 Hzdus Smoke 70
Ping G410 2H Alta
Ping G410 4H Ping Tour 85
Ping G410 5H Ping G410 Tour 85
Callaway Epic Pro 6-A
Callaway PM19 54
Callaway PM19 58
Toulon Indianapolis 

• 1 month later...

I am friends with the Callaway rep and tried an FT-IZ with the new UST shaft out a month ago. We compared the flight characteristics, spin rates, ball speed, etc. on the Trackman with my Callaway FT-9 which is a club I really liked and hit well. With the same swing speed (112 mph) the ball was consistently over 4 mph faster off the club face and my carry was about 8-10 yards further. I have now played two tournaments with this driver and absolutely love it. It is by far the longest and most forgiving driver I have owned. I would advise hitting the I-mix with the different shafts and find the combo that works for you. I highly recommend giving this driver a shot to make your arsenal.

[quote name='straight driver' date='31 March 2010 - 05:43 PM' timestamp='1270093400' post='2354276']
I agree that this club has issues. Two pros told me it was square but I was forever trying to manipulate it so it looked square to me. My FT 9 naturally sets up in a great position. I don't find myself continually working to make it look correct. There's too much going on in golf to have to constantly fight the club. I hit it OK, not as consistent as my FT 9 / Fubuki.
[/quote]

If you put it against a straight edge, it will be accurate to the specs. It just appears shut due to the huge bulge in the toe. I'm not sure on the loft you have but usually, the higher in loft you go, the more shut it will appear. I've heard of people sanding off some of the paint from the top line from the toe section so it "appears" more square/open.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I picked up my [b]FTi-z[/b] about 2 months ago. After abandoning my driver for about a year, I decided that I needed to go out and find something I could be confident in and hit when I had to. My 3-wood (Ping G5 - Aldila NV65 -Stiff) has always been my go to club of the tee because I'm able to hit it about 250-260 and hit it a little Right to Left without my manipulation. I've always felt comfortable playing with a driver that sets up 1-2* closed, just to ensure that I can essentially eliminate the right side of the golf course off the tee.

Stats

-1 handicap
-Swing speed anywhere from 105-115
-Prefer the look of a closed driver face
-Previous Driver models : Ping G2, Ping G10, Cobra LD

My Model : [b]Callaway FTi-z - 9* - Aldila Voodoo Stiff ( NON TOUR)[/b]

After about 20 rounds I feel that I know this driver well enough to give a un-biased review...

I am very pleased with the performance of this club, not necessarily my scoring as of late, but the driver is not to blame... I'm able to aim for the right side of the fairway and hit a consistent draw back into the middle. Just like any good player, I occasionally will over-draw a ball or two or hit the occasional block, but I blame that on the swinger haha. Just like many others have previously posted, you do not need to over-swing this club, the ball flies off the face and has a sound I find very pleasing. Not too "pingy" and certainly not a hollow, aluminum bat sound. When I am swinging well and in tempo this club performs exceptionally well. There is no need to "go after it" with this club, but when I get the urge to pummel one, I tend to hit it only a few yards further, mainly because I believe the shaft cannot handle a 115-120mph swing. Whether I am swinging slowly or like a gorilla, this driver delivers a great trajectory, maybe just a hair to high for my liking. I do not tend to get much roll on the soaked NJ fairways, but I do get a carry of about 275-290 on a solid strike. Into the wind, this club isn't the greatest asset.

If you prefer a Right to Left ball flight, high trajectory, and solid sound on impact, this driver may be right for you. I do not know if Aldila offers an X-flex in Voodoo, but I am tempted to make a switch. I am simply concerned about tinkering with shafts in drivers as in my experience, after reshafting a club it never truly feels the same...maybe that's just me, but I prefer a shaft installed by the manufacturer. Hope my long-winded and jumbling review helps at least 1 person in their research. If you have any particular questions feel free to PM me. I am an experienced player and am well versed when it comes to equipment. Cheers!

TM '17 M2 9.5* - Accra Tour Z X465 M4
PING G5 - Aldila NV75S

TM MC 3-PW - DG S300
Titleist Vokey SM4 52/56/60
Scotty Cameron TEI3

[quote name='GetmeouttaJersey' timestamp='1280072270' post='2597771']
I picked up my [b]FTi-z[/b] about 2 months ago. After abandoning my driver for about a year, I decided that I needed to go out and find something I could be confident in and hit when I had to. My 3-wood (Ping G5 - Aldila NV65 -Stiff) has always been my go to club of the tee because I'm able to hit it about 250-260 and hit it a little Right to Left without my manipulation. I've always felt comfortable playing with a driver that sets up 1-2* closed, just to ensure that I can essentially eliminate the right side of the golf course off the tee.

Stats

-1 handicap
-Swing speed anywhere from 105-115
-Prefer the look of a closed driver face
-Previous Driver models : Ping G2, Ping G10, Cobra LD

My Model : [b]Callaway FTi-z - 9* - Aldila Voodoo Stiff ( NON TOUR)[/b]

After about 20 rounds I feel that I know this driver well enough to give a un-biased review...

I am very pleased with the performance of this club, not necessarily my scoring as of late, but the driver is not to blame... I'm able to aim for the right side of the fairway and hit a consistent draw back into the middle. Just like any good player, I occasionally will over-draw a ball or two or hit the occasional block, but I blame that on the swinger haha. Just like many others have previously posted, you do not need to over-swing this club, the ball flies off the face and has a sound I find very pleasing. Not too "pingy" and certainly not a hollow, aluminum bat sound. When I am swinging well and in tempo this club performs exceptionally well. There is no need to "go after it" with this club, but when I get the urge to pummel one, I tend to hit it only a few yards further, mainly because I believe the shaft cannot handle a 115-120mph swing. Whether I am swinging slowly or like a gorilla, this driver delivers a great trajectory, maybe just a hair to high for my liking. I do not tend to get much roll on the soaked NJ fairways, but I do get a carry of about 275-290 on a solid strike. Into the wind, this club isn't the greatest asset.

If you prefer a Right to Left ball flight, high trajectory, and solid sound on impact, this driver may be right for you. I do not know if Aldila offers an X-flex in Voodoo, but I am tempted to make a switch. I am simply concerned about tinkering with shafts in drivers as in my experience, after reshafting a club it never truly feels the same...maybe that's just me, but I prefer a shaft installed by the manufacturer. Hope my long-winded and jumbling review helps at least 1 person in their research. If you have any particular questions feel free to PM me. I am an experienced player and am well versed when it comes to equipment. Cheers!
[/quote]

You should try the I-mix so you can tinker. I love my IZ, have had it for 5 months, I had a similar situation keeping the ball down. I switched first to the Aldilia RIP 80g x-stiff, which was great but I think was a little too much shaft for my SS (106), so I went with the Miyazaki Black 72g which is unreal. Lowered trajectory and spin more than any shaft I had played before, and it feels silky smooth. just a suggestion. Thanks for the great review!