2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Ready Golf

In the fairway
I understand ready golf on the tee box simply enough where only one person can hit at a time. A bit confused about the fairway.
When a group agrees to play ready golf what is the appropriate etiquette in the fairway? Do you simply hit when ready (assuming it is safe) even if it means that two or more people are hitting at the same time? Or does the first person to begin their preshot routine command the attention of the group?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, the "ready" part is being at the ball with the club and ready to hit as soon as it's your turn. I'll usually hit in order, but it's easier with only one ball in play at a time. Obviously, if one ball is in the line of another I wouldn't expect you to stand in a danger area, but you would be ready to move to the ball once it's safe. It's the reason walkers can play faster than guys with carts. Everyone walks to their own ball and is ready instead of moving around like a herd.

In my group, it's the first guy ready to play. We don't have two balls in the air, but if you're ready, given safety concerns, then go. The main thing is to be ready to play when it's time. Find your ball, get your distance, decide on the shot, pick your club and be ready. Even at our tiny club you see guys sit until their turn and only then begin the process. Drives me crazy.

So do you still make sure to watch the other players hit or just go about getting ready for your own shot? My concern is that some of the guys I play with are just as likely to end up in the bush as they are to end up on the green and if we don't make a point to watch shots, searching for lost balls becomes much more difficult.

The concept of "ready golf" is simply to play faster. As long as you aren't playing match play, the order in which you hit isn't important other than for saftey reasons. Being ready, hitting as soon as is practical, and watching other's shots for saftey/search help reasons all have their place IMO.

A few rules for stroke play:

dc3011a2-b87e-4808-a0f1-521486cffb79.gif c. Playing Out of Turn

If a competitor plays out of turn, there is no penalty and the ball is played as it lies. If, however, the Committee determines that competitors have agreed to play out of turn to give one of them an advantage, they are disqualified.

(Making stroke while another ball in motion after stroke from putting green - see Rule 16-1f.)

16-1f:

dc3011a2-b87e-4808-a0f1-521486cffb79.gif f. Making Stroke While Another Ball in Motion

The player must not make a stroke while another ball is in motion after a stroke from the putting green, except that if a player does so, there is no penalty if it was his turn to play.

(Lifting ball assisting or interfering with play while another ball in motion - see Rule 22.)

Penalty for Breach of Rule 16-1:

Match play - Loss of hole; Stroke play - Two strokes.

[quote name='Radagast' date='03 April 2010 - 09:00 AM' timestamp='1270310423' post='2358372']
So do you still make sure to watch the other players hit or just go about getting ready for your own shot? My concern is that some of the guys I play with are just as likely to end up in the bush as they are to end up on the green and if we don't make a point to watch shots, searching for lost balls becomes much more difficult.
[/quote]

You have to use some common sense. If all four guys go to the first guy's ball, wait and watch him hit, then go to the next guy's ball, wait and watch, etc... This is EXACTLY THE CAUSE OF SLOW PLAY. On the other hand, if your group tends to spray them about, it is helpful to have someone watch the ball, but not necessary for all four to watch every ball.

Ready golf is mostly about being ready to hit when it becomes your turn. While the other guys are hitting, you are checking your lie, your yardage, the wind, etc., so when it is your turn, you have a club in hand and are ready to play. And if you're ready and it's not your turn, but the person who's turn it would normally be is for some reason not ready to play, then by all means, go ahead and hit your shot.

+1

For casual rounds:

All too often guys stand around and wait their turn when they should SAY something. If for whatever reason, the 'away' player is not ready, how about speaking up?

I usually just say something like, "take your time, I'm ready, I'll hit." I think it is just common courtesy. (Not saying something can lead to players hitting simutaneously, which can lead to poor shots.) Why make someone hurry up and hit a bad shot when you're ready to play?

This helps around the green too. What can really slows things down is a player who doesn't lose his turn (often called FISO). Example: Blading one out of a bunker over the green when everyone else is already on.

Now if someone is just slow all the time - then a chit chat is in order after the round.

Tournament rounds are different of course.

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

IMHO ready golf is a state of mind. ie. be aware there are others on the course, get organised and sort out your gear ahead of time.

Don't be the last guy to putt, wander onto the next tee box demanding the honor with your glove in a pocket and your putter still in your mit and no idea where your tee is having left your bag or cart back down the fairway in the opposite direct of the path to the next tee.

Dont stand on the greens taking scores unless you were first to putt out, do it on the tee box while your waiting your turn.

On the fairway, if two players are close together you may as well hit in turn for safety etc, but someone on the other side of the fairway even if they are in front can probably hit after the first guy hit on the other side while number two is setting up etc.

keep it moving, but you need to all agree ahead of time, some old schoolers will have a fit if you walk in front of them even if you are 70 m away in the rough on the opposite side of the fairway.

To me ready golf in the fairway is getting an idea of your yardage and having your club in hand ready to go. Walking up to your ball when it is ahead of someone isn't going to work. I am not gonna hit if I could possibly hit you. I find it irritating if someone is taking practice swings in my field of view while I am hitting too. If you are taking practice swings then you are not watching my ball. If I lose track of it then more time is wasted looking for a ball that no one knows where it landed. I play with a guy that never takes the cart, never pulls a flag stick, never replaces the flag stick, walks ahead of you while you are trying to swing, is swinging while you are taking your shot then when it is his turn realises he has the wrong club, never has a clue where your ball just went, and when you are ready to chip or putt he walks up to his ball like he is going to go so you wait then he backs off after a few practice strokes then says you are away go ahead. Talking about playing a slow round.