2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

What would you do in this situation?

So I was playing today with my regular group. We tee off at 8 am 2nd group of the day. Make turn at 9:40 and playing along when walkin aprox 20 yards from #11 green to #12 tee a guy drives a cart up to the front tees(guy in his late 20's early 30's) I yell HEY we are playing this hole as i get to the tee. He looks at me about 20 yards away and puts his tee in the ground and hits his ball about 220 to the left side. I again yell HEY we are playing this hole go to your own hole. He again looks at me for a second and gets in the cart and i yell We are playing this hole now and tee one up and crush it down middle about 280 carry so it was about 100 yard over his head. After hitting i yelled fore and i walked up to the guy and said for him to move on to another hole and he said he was calling the pro shop and having me kicked off and this and that.(by way pro shop just laughed about it when i talked to them after) He also had the audacity to tell me how bad my etiquette was and i just laughed at him when he said that.

so i what would you have done in that situation? and was i completely out of line to do what i did?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

honestly, i probably would not have cared. a single in a cart is not going to slow you down. i do understand your actions though and dont really find them too horrible. i hate when people try to play thru when not asking and stuff, but if i am in a foursome and he is a single in a cart i would have just let him slide.

Not to sound harsh...but if someone is walking in the road does that make it ok to run them over? Gotta be careful with hitting a ball at or near someone. It would not have been worth it.

If they are J-walking and not in a crosswalk...secret.gif

Now back to the topic at hand...

I would not have hit at him, I'd a waited until he got out of the way in about 2 seconds and then played the hole - if I came up to him, or if he slowed my group down then words would probably be exchanged...and I would have said something to the Pro Shop after the round was complete.

You're obviously a lot better than me if you have that kind of ability with the driver to say without a doubt you weren't going to hit him just because you weren't [i]aimed[/i] at him.

Funny story where someone like you was waaaaay in the wrong and they thought they weren't. My foursome was about to tee off on #13 when the guys pulling up to #12 came racing over in their cart. We had just let the 2-some in front of us play through because we had taken some time at the turn and they were right behind us. I knew right away these guys thought we had cut in front of them someplace becuase until now we hadn't seen them.

Sure enough the guy starts literally screaming at us about how this two-some had been in front of them all day and where did we come from and he was going to do this and that to us and I just told him him to calm down because we had let the previous group play through and that's how we got in front of them. He grumbled and left, no apology. His playing partner apologized after the round thought.

So, things aren't always as they seem out there so don't jump to conclusions and don't risk tickets and/or jail time because a single in a cart jumped in front of you, even if he [i]was[/i] in the wrong. Also, is your normal group a foursome? Was this guy behind you guys the entire front nine? Did the clubhouse (being idiots) send him off on the back right behind you? I hate when I'm by myself and people decide they don't want to let me play though although I usually just try to practice.

A quick story I saw on TV. Young guy is playing in a club tourney...his father in law is a marshal. Son in law goes to tee it up...father in law waves them to hit and hides behind a tree. Son in law launches one at the tree..but high into it.....it ricochets off a branch...hits father in law in temple. He dies. Son in law never could go back to course no less pick up a club. It was an emotional story for TV. He had to try to accept the forgiveness from his wife's family. Dude seemed lost emotionally on the show when interviewed. And this was an accident.

[quote name='ExProGoingBack' date='20 May 2010 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1274379363' post='2455949']
A quick story I saw on TV. Young guy is playing in a club tourney...his father in law is a marshal. Son in law goes to tee it up...father in law waves them to hit and hides behind a tree. Son in law launches one at the tree..but high into it.....it ricochets off a branch...hits father in law in temple. He dies. Son in law never could go back to course no less pick up a club. It was an emotional story for TV. He had to try to accept the forgiveness from his wife's family. Dude seemed lost emotionally on the show when interviewed. And this was an accident.
[/quote]

Saw this too, it was actually his own dad. That show was his first time back at the course I believe. Tragic story.

[quote name='nvr stsfd' date='20 May 2010 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1274379624' post='2455958']
[quote name='ExProGoingBack' date='20 May 2010 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1274379363' post='2455949']
[/quote]

Saw this too, it was actually his own dad. That show was his first time back at the course I believe. Tragic story.
[/quote]

Your right...I forget what show it was. Just the way he spoke....guy never will be the same again. How can anyone pick up a club after that.

[/quote]

I thought that was HIS father, and he hit him in the neck causing a problem with the blood flow.

[quote name='ExProGoingBack' date='20 May 2010 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1274379746' post='2455962']
[quote name='nvr stsfd' date='20 May 2010 - 02:20 PM' timestamp='1274379624' post='2455958']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Your right...I forget what show it was. Just the way he spoke....guy never will be the same again. How can anyone pick up a club after that.
[/quote]

that's crazy! what are the odds of doing that especially when he takes cover behind a tree? holy cow! makes me not want to go on a course now!
it's bad enough my heart almost stops when my ball goes in the direction of traffic or a house!

[quote name='grizzlyblades' date='20 May 2010 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1274379959' post='2455973']
[quote name='ExProGoingBack' date='20 May 2010 - 01:22 PM' timestamp='1274379746' post='2455962']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

that's crazy! what are the odds of doing that especially when he takes cover behind a tree? holy cow! makes me not want to go on a course now!
it's bad enough my heart almost stops when my ball goes in the direction of traffic or a house!
[/quote]

You had to see the show. You would think twice about hitting remotely near anyone. This guy had a glazed look on his face years later

yea i saw that special forgot about it til u mentioned it. No this guy just signed up to play 18 holes 15 minutes prior to jumping in front of us.
And i never said i was right in what i did i ask if it was completely out of line.

the think that made me mad is that there was a group on the hole in front of us as well so the guy wasnt goin anywhere. and when i commended to him twice that we were there and he should move to another whole and just looked at me like who are u to tell me what to do and then to say i dont know etiquite(granted mine wasnt right but without his action i have no action) i know i lost my head but i just wondered what others would do in this situation. and apparently i am an @__Hole haha

It was certainly bad etiquette for someone to play through.

It was far worse to hit a ball anywhere near to being on line with another person. They're really lucky the ball didn't hit someone.

Why is it every time there's a story like this it includes a line like: "I crushed it, 280 carry"? You can just tell the quality of the person from that. It reminds me of "So the owner told me not to hit 'em out of the back of the range, so I teed one up and hit it 350 and flew the fence. I really showed that old man who's the boss."

If I were the ranger and I saw that situation unfold I would have kicked hitting group off the course immediately. There's big difference between causing a group a five minute delay and attacking another player via a golf shot. Just stupid and irresponsible.

Quite simply, there are few on-course situations (feral hog?) that are best solved by launching a golf ball at the offending party. The potential liability one takes on is far greater than the importance of any possible outcome. It's on par with removing a bad neighbor's stray tree branch with a stick of dynamite.

Keep your cool, inform the d-bag of his current d-bag status (yell really, really loud if it makes you feel better, because I would) and take the issue up with the first course official you see. It's just not worth it.

That said, something like this does ruin a nice round, doesn't it?

TM R15
TM Burner 3W (old.....)
TM RBZ 19 degree
WS Fybrid 4 hybrid
Ping Karsten 5-UW
Ping iWedge 54+58
Scotty Squareback 2

Do I need a 4-iron?

[quote name='ExProGoingBack' date='20 May 2010 - 01:32 PM' timestamp='1274380323' post='2455985']
[quote name='grizzlyblades' date='20 May 2010 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1274379959' post='2455973']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You had to see the show. You would think twice about hitting remotely near anyone. This guy had a glazed look on his face years later
[/quote]

here is the story(I think). very sad!

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/Texas-Mans-Tee-Shot-Killed-Dad.html

ok i never thought of the liability issue at all im glad that was brought to my attention.

what i am looking for is how would you handle a situation when someone is jumping around holes and shows blatent disrespect when u are 20 yard away and calling him out on it? For the record i am aware my actions were worse then his and i let my temper get in the way but how would u handle the situation?

The pro shop said this guy does this often and believes the course is his own playing ground but he pays his money and they cant watch him all the time.

Also what was the point of this post

I call bullsh**t on this story.

No one from the north east hits it 280 right down the middle in May.

It's interesting that the issue of financial liability is a concern. But the thought that someone could be injured isn't really an issue unless there's some liability attached to it. So, it's okay to injure someone as long as you can walk away clean? Ah well.

Really, complaining to the pro shop/ranger is the only thing you can do. If it's a big enough concern, you should make it clear to the management – above the pro shop level – that this is going on and that the staff are not doing anything about it. You should make it clear that you will not be coming back to their course if nothing is done. If they don't do anything, you should just head elsewhere with your business. It's not convenient, but there's really not much else you can do, the guy on the course obviously has no courtesy and chances are there's nothing you can do to teach it to him.

You can yell at the guy all you want, but when it comes down to it, the bigger issue is not with him. It's really with the staff of the course and the fact that they aren't doing their jobs and aren't responsive to customer complaints. If you want their attention your best bets are either to spread word enough that it affects their business or to put them in the public eye by talking your local newspaper or TV channel sports editor to run a story on how the quality of service at the course has really gone downhill.

Yes, chances are that you won't get much of a result.

Intentionally hitting a ball over someone is just a terrible idea. You're talking a 1 or 2 degree difference in launch angle of whether you hit them or fly them by 50 yards. Even if you are in a groove, I wouldn't bet anyone's life or health on a 1 degree margin of error on a slight mishit. And in all sports, what you are mentally focused on is what you'll tend to hit whether you like it or not.

Explaining humor always takes the fun out of it.
Oh and the calling Bull****. No one from the north hitting 280....

You'll note the poster is from South Florida, where he is blessed with the climate that allows him to keep his swing in a groove all year long. Unlike us Northerners who typically don't have much chance to swing the clubs until April each year and therefore don't have a swing grooved enough to carry anything over 276-277 or so until well into June.

What would I have done. I would have put my glove on, gone into one of my RH'ed playing partners' bag and taken their glove for my other hand. Gone into this guy's bag pulled [b]his[/b] 7 iron ... I never miss the 7 iron .... and beat him to death. No wait, you said it was the furthest hole from the clubhouse right ? I would have left him to bleed out after taking the keys from his cart.

OK J/K. I would have done the exact same thing as you did. If he ignored me from 20 yards away I would have lost my mind. Yes hitting it past him was not smart, but a lot of posters here would have done it or worse. Don't let the level heads typing at night fool you.

golow(TM)