2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Temper Tantrums on the golf course

I was playing with a few friends today at a local muni. Well, one of the guys was having a difficult day to say the least. He is normally not the kind of guy who lets the game get to him, but today was different. After several bad shots and bad breaks the guy finally blows a gasket and tomahawks a club twenty yards. The problem is that he holds on to it just a little too long and it flies toward another group of golfers. It lands about 15 yards short of the other group, but it was just close enough to make my friend feel like an for throwing a club. I do not promote club throwing at all and I have never thrown a club myself (too afraid of losing or breaking a club...and well looking like an ). However, a guy from the other group took it upon himself to walk over to my friend and lecture him. I fully intended on saying something once he regained his cool, but this guy decided it was his place to step in. There is a time and place for lecturing a club throwing idiot......that time is not right after he throws a club and has fire burning in his eyes. I quickly drove over in between the two and told my friend to get in the cart and he did. I apologized to the guy and drove off. It just wasn't enough for him though because three holes later he starts running his mouth again. I walked down to the guy who by the way is around 5 ft. 8in 150lbs. Not to mention he is wearing jean shorts and has more golf clubs in his bag than he has teeth. I calmly and politely informed him that my friend was clearly in the wrong for tossing his club, but if he continued to run his mouth there was a good chance that my 6 ft. 4in 225lb friend was going to wrap that same club around his head. I think he got the point because he just walked away and didn't say a thing.

Oh, and I definitely voiced my displeasure to my friend about his club throwing after the round. I guess the point(s) I am trying to make is that 1. unless you are riding in a cart that says ranger on it you should either mind your own business or call the clubhouse and have a ranger come out and take care of the situations. 2. there is a time and place to talk to a person who has just thrown a temper trantrum and tossed his club...that time is certainly not right after he does it.

Taylormade M2
Ping Rapture 3 Wood 13.5*
Callaway XR Pro Hybrid 16*
Mizuno MP18 MMC Fli-Hi 3 iron
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Scratch 8620 Wedges 50* & 58*
Bettinardi Inovai

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are you talking junk about a guy (his size,teeth,dress) when all he did is have a club thrown his way? I mean i've thrown down a club, but throwing one 20 YARDS? Is he thinking of doing the hammer throw in the London Olympics?

If anything the guy shouldn't have kept talking 3 holes later, but honestly the other group is playing, has a club launched their way. They get pissed, which i can't blame them, and they are suppose to just lay back and not say anything just because your buddy is mad at the moment? Screw that.

Whoa....you completely missed the point. Why do so many golfers feel that is is so necessary to confront people on the golf course. The ranger is there for a reason. Yes, my friend was an idiot for tossing a club and yes the guy had every right to be angry. However, when one angry man confronts another angry man it rarely ends well. And it rarely ends well for the confronting man when he confronts a guy that is much larger than him. And talking junk about his size, teeth, etc......those were facts.

Judging by your post, you would have done the same thing as the other guy, right? Why? Why are some golfers so quick to get in to confrontations. I just don't get it. I learned a lot of things in the military. One of those things was to police your own and let others do the same. That being said, why not let the other golfers police members of their own group or at least call the clubhouse and have the ranger take care of it.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

most people who have a problem with tantrums and club throwing often experience some sort of moment of clarity, usually after a really embarrassing moment. Hopefully for your friend he'll realize how dumb he is for doing that and not do it again. Ive broken a few clubs way back when but havent thrown one in years, or even really lost my cool. You embarrass yourself and the group when you act a fool , and usually start playing even worse...and maybe he`ll see that now

as far as the other guy goes, trying to understand other people will drive you nuts. But lecturing someone who just threw a club is a recipe for disaster. I almost got hit by a ball the other day when a guy sliced one into my group, he was pissed at his poor shot when he came over and i just told him "cmon dude, i know you're mad, but you almost killed me, you still gotta yell fore"

earlier in the year a friend of mine got into a confrontation (at a private club no less!) over some trivial matter where my friend was completely in the right and polite about it, and the guy told him he knew people in gangs and was going to have him killed...true story!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

My point exactly. I won't say that he has reached that point of clarity, but I told him that if he continues to throw tantrums then he needs to find another group to play with.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

[quote name='matt_thatsme' date='31 May 2010 - 12:39 PM' timestamp='1275334778' post='2478222']

Judging by your post, you would have done the same thing as the other guy, right? Why? Why are some golfers so quick to get in to confrontations. I just don't get it. I learned a lot of things in the military. One of those things was to police your own and let others do the same. That being said, why not let the other golfers police members of their own group or at least call the clubhouse and have the ranger take care of it.
[/quote]

I know it's just a comment you made based on how you would handle things, but the thought process in the military doesn't always apply to the golf course lol. I'm not saying the other guy is right, and saying anything after the original act is overkill.

However, if someone flings a club my way, hell yea I'm going to be pist. I'm not in battle,I'm trying to relax and I have to worry about steel projectiles being flung anywhere near me? Rangers don't do anything, and I bet your buddy is less likely to throw a club now that he had a run-in with someone than he would if you just told him something.

That being said, there is a part of me that has got mad, and end up feeling bad without anyone saying anything, unless your buddy is oblivous.

Short story about how I learned my lesson.

This was a few years ago when I first started playing, so obviously, I wasn't very good. I was having a bad round and on the last few holes it was getting worse.

So we get to the 16th, it's a short par 4 with a little pond next to the green. I proceed to hack it up till I finally got to the green, I think I made a +5 or even worse. So I then throw my putter (yeah, like the putter had anything to do with me hacking it up) towards the greenside rough. It takes one bounce and goes directly into the middle of the pond.

The "pond" was not a typical pond. They were using recycled water and the smell wasn't that great. My putter lands in the middle (karma) and stands up so I can see the grip slightly sticking out of the water. The water was also waist high.....

So with my friends laughing the whole time, I proceed to take off my shoes and go in to get the putter. Let's just say my feet and legs didn't smell that great for the next 2 days. Also my friends who were with me have not let it go to this day.black%20eye.gif

It was a little humble pie that I needed to eat and haven't thrown a club since (or really mad for that matter).

[quote name='Everest209' date='31 May 2010 - 04:34 PM' timestamp='1275338063' post='2478356']
[quote name='matt_thatsme' date='31 May 2010 - 12:39 PM' timestamp='1275334778' post='2478222']
[/quote]

I know it's just a comment you made based on how you would handle things, but the thought process in the military doesn't always apply to the golf course lol. I'm not saying the other guy is right, and saying anything after the original act is overkill.

However, if someone flings a club my way, hell yea I'm going to be pist. I'm not in battle,I'm trying to relax and I have to worry about steel projectiles being flung anywhere near me? Rangers don't do anything, and I bet your buddy is less likely to throw a club now that he had a run-in with someone than he would if you just told him something.

That being said, there is a part of me that has got mad, and end up feeling bad without anyone saying anything, unless your buddy is oblivous.
[/quote]

We will just have to agree to disagree. You never know how another angry man is going to react if you confront that person in an aggressive manner, especially if that angry man has several metal objects handy. It is not worth it......it just isn't. Call the clubhouse, shake your head at the guy, maybe even make a comment to one of his playing partners, but confronting him is not the best choice. You may be right and after thinking about what he did, I am sure my friend is less likely to throw a club.....but it wasn't because that guy confronted him. If anything, he was more likely to escalate the situation if I had not stepped in.

I may have had a different answer to this 5 or 10 years ago, but certain events have taken place that has, in my opinion, made me a little wiser. Angry men are not rational beings, especially when dealing with other angry men who are complete strangers.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

I live for this stuff!!! Nothing makes my day more fun than
seeing some guy lose his marbles over this game!!! Seeing
these guys throw temper tantrums is always good for a few
laughs!!! I watched this guy storm off the course after treating
his whole bag of clubs to a dip in the pond, funniest thing I
have ever seen!!!

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

If someone threw a club that landed 15 yds away.... i would defintely pick it up and walk right back to the player and ask him whats up....
thats not something that i would just let it slide... or ignore...
however once you guys made the apology... there was no need for that "victim" to keep running his mouth.... over and done with...

[quote name='puttingmatt' date='31 May 2010 - 09:47 PM' timestamp='1275356844' post='2479103']
I live for this stuff!!! Nothing makes my day more fun than
seeing some guy lose his marbles over this game!!! Seeing
these guys throw temper tantrums is always good for a few
laughs!!! I watched this guy storm off the course after treating
his whole bag of clubs to a dip in the pond, funniest thing I
have ever seen!!!
[/quote]

Yep, most of the time people just don't realize how silly they look. I once saw a guy break a fairly new driver over his knee, I was just cracking up. Golf's version of Carlos Zambrano.

Once threw a club and it got stuck in a tree. Took 10 minutes to get it down!! Never thrown a club since lol

Ping G400 Max 10.5 degree (Ping Tour 65 R)
Titleist 913 FD 15 degree (Diamana S+ stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ 19 & 22 degree Hybrid (Stock stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-PW (NSPro1150 S)
Cleveland 588 RTX - 50, 55, 60 (DG S400)
Custom Lajosi JJ501

[quote name='jorfely305' date='01 June 2010 - 11:27 AM' timestamp='1275406038' post='2479923']
I stopped throwing my clubs, instead I throw my ball at a tree or something. The long walk is a cool off period. Learned my lesson after breaking my pitching wedge in a tournament in high school.
[/quote]

If you're still throwing anything on the course, you have not learned your lesson.

Cobra Fly-Z driver
Cobra Speed LD 3 wood
Adams LS 3 hybrid
TM Rocketbladez 4 - AW
Ping Tour 56
TM ATV 60
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

[quote name='ropin4fun03' date='31 May 2010 - 10:01 PM' timestamp='1275357713' post='2479140']
I've seen a guy throw his whole bag in after the round..... then swim in to get his car keys....... how sweet was that.....
[/quote]

That story as a joke/urban legend has been around for years. You didn't really witness it did you?

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='matt_thatsme' date='31 May 2010 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1275332883' post='2478173']
I was playing with a few friends today at a local muni. Well, one of the guys was having a difficult day to say the least. He is normally not the kind of guy who lets the game get to him, but today was different. After several bad shots and bad breaks the guy finally blows a gasket and tomahawks a club twenty yards. The problem is that he holds on to it just a little too long and it flies toward another group of golfers. It lands about 15 yards short of the other group, but it was just close enough to make my friend feel like an a** for throwing a club. I do not promote club throwing at all and I have never thrown a club myself (too afraid of losing or breaking a club...and well looking like an a**). However, a guy from the other group took it upon himself to walk over to my friend and lecture him. I fully intended on saying something once he regained his cool, but this guy decided it was his place to step in. There is a time and place for lecturing a club throwing idiot......that time is not right after he throws a club and has fire burning in his eyes. I quickly drove over in between the two and told my friend to get in the cart and he did. I apologized to the guy and drove off. It just wasn't enough for him though because three holes later he starts running his mouth again. I walked down to the guy who by the way is around 5 ft. 8in 150lbs. Not to mention he is wearing jean shorts and has more golf clubs in his bag than he has teeth. I calmly and politely informed him that my friend was clearly in the wrong for tossing his club, but if he continued to run his mouth there was a good chance that my 6 ft. 4in 225lb friend was going to wrap that same club around his head. I think he got the point because he just walked away and didn't say a thing.

Oh, and I definitely voiced my displeasure to my friend about his club throwing after the round. I guess the point(s) I am trying to make is that 1. unless you are riding in a cart that says ranger on it you should either mind your own business or call the clubhouse and have a ranger come out and take care of the situations. 2. there is a time and place to talk to a person who has just thrown a temper trantrum and tossed his club...that time is certainly not right after he does it.
[/quote]

Classic post. So now the guy who the club was thrown toward is the bad guy in this version of the story? Classic. I also love the part about the 5'8" 150lb guy needing to step aside because your buddy is 6'4" 225lb. Heck this is great news, I'm 6'4" 330, according to this logic I can pretty much do whatever I want. (Excepting of course sit ups, pull ups, wind sprints, dating supermodels and living past 60 - just thought I'd save you the trouble of pointing that out to me)

[quote name='Jimmy Mac' date='02 June 2010 - 11:51 AM' timestamp='1275493868' post='2482072']
[quote name='matt_thatsme' date='31 May 2010 - 03:08 PM' timestamp='1275332883' post='2478173']
I was playing with a few friends today at a local muni. Well, one of the guys was having a difficult day to say the least. He is normally not the kind of guy who lets the game get to him, but today was different. After several bad shots and bad breaks the guy finally blows a gasket and tomahawks a club twenty yards. The problem is that he holds on to it just a little too long and it flies toward another group of golfers. It lands about 15 yards short of the other group, but it was just close enough to make my friend feel like an a** for throwing a club. I do not promote club throwing at all and I have never thrown a club myself (too afraid of losing or breaking a club...and well looking like an a**). However, a guy from the other group took it upon himself to walk over to my friend and lecture him. I fully intended on saying something once he regained his cool, but this guy decided it was his place to step in. There is a time and place for lecturing a club throwing idiot......that time is not right after he throws a club and has fire burning in his eyes. I quickly drove over in between the two and told my friend to get in the cart and he did. I apologized to the guy and drove off. It just wasn't enough for him though because three holes later he starts running his mouth again. I walked down to the guy who by the way is around 5 ft. 8in 150lbs. Not to mention he is wearing jean shorts and has more golf clubs in his bag than he has teeth. I calmly and politely informed him that my friend was clearly in the wrong for tossing his club, but if he continued to run his mouth there was a good chance that my 6 ft. 4in 225lb friend was going to wrap that same club around his head. I think he got the point because he just walked away and didn't say a thing.

[/quote]

Classic post. So now the guy who the club was thrown toward is the bad guy in this version of the story? Classic. I also love the part about the 5'8" 150lb guy needing to step aside because your buddy is 6'4" 225lb. Heck this is great news, I'm 6'4" 330, according to this logic I can pretty much do whatever I want. (Excepting of course sit ups, pull ups, wind sprints, dating supermodels and living past 60 - just thought I'd save you the trouble of pointing that out to me)

[/quote]

Jimmy MAC...LOL!!! You and I could hang...besides at 6'4" 273 I'd be the skinny one :)

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

I recall reading a story about a guy who was so angry after a bad shot that he swung his club (driver) onto his golf cart. The shaft snapped in half and the grip end (that he was holding) bounced sharply back up and punctured his neck. They said it hit his carotid artery and he bled out and died right there.
It may be urban legend, but I definitely read it a few years ago. Crazy tempers are not good

[/quote]

Notwithstanding the number of teeth you, your friend, and the protagonist may have, I note from your story (at least the way you wrote it) that your friend never apologized to the guy he tossed his club near. Only you did.

The guy, whose behavior you describe as "took it upon himself", had every right to complain. It's very nice of you to worry about his saftey, but it is his right to complain, and his right to accept whatever risk is involved. I also note that you feel there is a right and wrong time to confront your friend. It seems that the injured party (the innocent guy who had a club tossed near him) didn't get satisfaction the first time he complained, and three holes later, after your friend presumably had time to calm down, it seems like he still didn't get the satisfaction of an apology. He just got more of you. Which couldn't have been that great since you were busy finding fault with him and his wardrobe.

The only fault I might find with the stranger you are complaining about is if he did receive an apology from your friend, and still kept at it.

[quote name='scottcuban' date='02 June 2010 - 11:56 AM' timestamp='1275494164' post='2482085']
I recall reading a story about a guy who was so angry after a bad shot that he swung his club (driver) onto his golf cart. The shaft snapped in half and the grip end (that he was holding) bounced sharply back up and punctured his neck. They said it hit his carotid artery and he bled out and died right there.
It may be urban legend, but I definitely read it a few years ago. Crazy tempers are not good
[/quote]

I heard about that 25 years ago as a warning to us junior golfers who might want to throw clubs.

A few weeks ago, a playing partner of mine slammed his 8-iron into the ground on a teebox after hitting one in the water, broke it and the jagged shaft and head bounced up and nearly hit him in the leg. It was close to a bloody incident.

[quote name='Sawgrass' date='02 June 2010 - 01:40 PM' timestamp='1275500431' post='2482301']

[/quote]

Notwithstanding the number of teeth you, your friend, and the protagonist may have, I note from your story (at least the way you wrote it) that your friend never apologized to the guy he tossed his club near. Only you did.

The guy, whose behavior you describe as "took it upon himself", had every right to complain. It's very nice of you to worry about his saftey, but it is his right to complain, and his right to accept whatever risk is involved. I also note that you feel there is a right and wrong time to confront your friend. It seems that the injured party (the innocent guy who had a club tossed near him) didn't get satisfaction the first time he complained, and three holes later, after your friend presumably had time to calm down, it seems like he still didn't get the satisfaction of an apology. He just got more of you. Which couldn't have been that great since you were busy finding fault with him and his wardrobe.

The only fault I might find with the stranger you are complaining about is if he did receive an apology from your friend, and still kept at it.
[/quote]

You are correct, he has every right to complain and if he thinks that the benefits of the confrontation outweight the risk then so be it. I just don't think that I would make the same choice. I wouldn't even make the same choice if the guy I was going to confront was half my size. It just isn't worth it to me.

I don't beleive there is a right or wrong time to confront my friend....I believe there is a right and wrong time to confront an angry man. Injured party??? You talk as if he is the victim in some sort of toxic tort or products liability case. A golf club landed 15 yards from him, he isn't missing a limb or anything.

Why does he need an apology so bad? Does his ego need stroked that badly? Why can't he go on with his life knowing some idiot got angry and threw a golf club that happened to land within 50 feet of him.

Finally, yes I do find fault with jean shorts and bad dental hygiene.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

[quote name='Jimmy Mac' date='02 June 2010 - 11:51 AM' timestamp='1275493868' post='2482072']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sure, he is the bad guy and maybe I can be the protagonist. The cart girl can be the damsel in distress. The angry friend can play the part of the token black guy since he was the only black person on the golf course that day. Everyone else can play supporting roles.

6'4" and 330, geez...I got nothing to say to that.

Taylormade M2
Mizuno MP18 MMC 4-PW
Bettinardi Inovai

As an avid club thrower, I think your buddy has great skill being able to throw the club such a long distance. As a golfer, if I ever threw a club towards a group, I would feel like a total censored2.gif.

By the way, when I say avid club thrower, I don't mean it as an enraged reaction. Its mostly a toss from greenside to bag, which can range from 5-10 yards awaysuperman.gif.

I've done stupid things with clubs, tee markers, trees and trash bins. I'm not proud of it and I have made resolution after resolution to stop doing that. I comfort myself by telling myself that if ever i reach the point where I can giggle after chunking for the 3rd time I should stop playing golf because I don't care anymore, but I know my frustration takes it toll on my game and my flight mates. I try.

That being said, if I threw a club near another person (even if it was in my flight), I would feel like a complete idiot. I would apologise profusely and buy beers after the round.

If I had a club thrown near me, I would get real mad and say something- until I saw that the thrower was 6ft 4in, in which case I would call the ranger ;)

True story, I once got so frustrated that I swung hard at the turf and dug a huge divot (we're talking a family of island natives coulda lived on it). Problem was, I didnt look to see what direction I was facing, so my mate in the cart got a faceful of the finest sod. Beers flowed after that one.