Stoneridge Canyon

Pargolfr00

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I've never been there, I was lead to believe Hassayampa is a private equity club.

• TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° GD Tour AD-VF 74S
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 95S
  • T100 5i-9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX 6.0 Wedge 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x, ProV1x or AVX

[quote name='Pepperturbo' date='28 June 2010 - 02:18 PM' timestamp='1277763518' post='2542864']
Although I've never been there, I was lead to believe Hassayampa is a private equity club.
[/quote]

It is! However, given the economic times, like other private courses it is opening its doors to the public. And I would second that, it is a great course!

I cant give you any current conditions at Stoneridge, but if you have never played it before it is a very gimicky golf course with a ton of blind shots and the worlds worst closing hole and the most poorly designed par 5 anywhere in #18. I played it once back in April and was not very thrilled with the course, I am almost curious to play it again now that I know it, but I have a feeling my thoughts will remain that it is a wacky design and I should have spent the money to play somewhere else.

As for 18 630 yard par 5 with a blind narrow (maybe 10-20 yards) landing area to hit your layup. to make it worse it drops about 60 feet down from the level where your drive lands, so gauging yardage is even harder.
Thankfully I was able to get it greenside in 2 on my drive because you have no idea what to do for the layup. As a joke I dropped another ball where my drive landed and putted (yes putted) the ball 120 yards down the serpentine hill, hit 9 iron to the green and made par that way too.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

It wouldnt hurt to give em a call. I played it with One_Putt and I share his sentiments on the course. the only concern I would have would be if they punched the greens or not.

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

[quote name='fore_life' date='29 June 2010 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1277846172' post='2545278']
It wouldnt hurt to give em a call. I played it with One_Putt and I share his sentiments on the course. the only concern I would have would be if they punched the greens or not.
[/quote]

Stoneridge is a love it or hate it course... Best played in a big skins game as the risk reward is great...
We play 18 that only an eagle can win.... Don't know how greens are as Antelope is in great shape now and play there constantly
Another course in good shape is Prescott County Club...

[b]Was[/b] a member of Hassayampa for 5+ years.... They are experiencing mold on the greens, we had a couple of their members come out to Antelope due to this.... I know they were battling the moss problem when I was there and it's suppose to worse now... I would ask about the greens when you make your tee time to see if they've healed up....

• 2 weeks later...

Played StoneRidge today and really enjoyed it. It was my first time out there in about 4 years.

Conditions were really good. Fairways were nice (a little wet early on the first couple holes, but dried out nicely later) and cut just right. Rough was thick but playable. The greens aren't thick, but they were a little wet at first (2pm tee time) and were running slow. By the end of the round they had dried up and were quicker. There was a noticeable amount of mold on most of the greens on the front, but it certainly wasn't out of control or anything that would keep me from playing there. I didn't notice it as much on the back. I found the greens tough to read, though. They aren't very green in color right now, and with the light reflecting off them during midday, it's tough to see all the slopes and breaks.

I got the sense that the course is probably pretty moist during the morning, but dryer and firmer in the afternoon. All in all, the conditions were well worth the $35 twilight greens fees. The $60 rack rate is out of my price range, but I'd recommend it if you have the cash.

As for the "gimmicky" layout. Yeah, it's borderline Mickey Mouse, and some holes are a frustrating b**** the first time through, but it's actually pretty entertaining on repeat visits. And this is coming from someone who really doesn't like any course with more than one blind shot (We-ko-pa Cholla, Terravita, etc). I look at StoneRidge as one of those roller coaster-type fun courses. Just let the cart's GPS and 150yd poles be your friend and you'll get around OK the first time. You can have some real fun on repeat visits.

And yes, #18 has a pretty terrible layup area. I like One_Putt_Blunder's idea of just putting 100 yards down the hill on your second shot. I didn't play the tips today, so from the pro/yellow tees I was able to get a big drive and 3-wood just over the green in two and didn't have to worry about the layup.

[b]Also: [/b]I asked the player services guy if he had played Hassayampa recently. He said he played in a tourney there a month ago and the whole course was pure from tee to green. Said the greens were absolutely perfect. So it sounds like that mold problem Odie4AZ mentioned may be gone. Can't wait to get up there and play again.

I play there every once in a while and I wish it was toned down a bit. It is just too trick and not enough golf. But they are great there and the course is always in good condition. It has a great practice/ range area.

I don't think Hassayampa is that great of a deal at the prices I saw online. Prescott lakes is staying private, very disappointing. Oak Creek is offering good deals and so is Sedona. Then there is alway Antelope Hills. Fertilizing the course this year has made a huge difference. =) Maverick
BTW, that 18th hole at StonerRidge is the worse designed hole I have seen.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

RE the 18th hole at Stoneridge, we played the Tips so it was playing 630 or so that day with a decent tailwind. Definatley the longest par 5 I have been able to reach in 2 and with a 4 hybrid no less. I seriously have no idea what I would do If I hit a normal drive and had 230+ left to that green, I would not want to risk hitting 3 wood as there is not a lot of room to miss especially if the pin is over on the left shelf as it was for us. That is where the whole let me try and putt one down the hill idea came from just to see the best way to play it if I ever go back.

They other really goofy one was number 10 I think the one where you can hit iron off the tee to a green sized blind landing area, or try and carry driver 290+ from the back tees to clear the ravine. 2 out of the 3 of us made it across I tried to take the long way and came up a yard short :cheesy:

The other wacky one is on the front that is like 7 iron then wedge from the back tees nothing like hitting a 225 yard 7 iron with the roll you get going down that hill.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='puttnforthe8' date='17 July 2010 - 04:10 PM' timestamp='1279408206' post='2582352']
[quote name='fore_life' date='17 July 2010 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1279407064' post='2582305']
Play talking Rock and let me know how it is!
[/quote]

Haven't see public times for TR....have you? Or can you just ask?
[/quote]

I know it is offered as one of the courses available as a "traveling benefit" to holders of the various OB Sports discount cards (Longbow Flightcard, WeKoPass, etc...)

[url]http://www.obsports.com/travel[/url]

[quote name='tjy355' date='18 July 2010 - 07:17 PM' timestamp='1279509465' post='2584922']
[quote name='puttnforthe8' date='17 July 2010 - 04:10 PM' timestamp='1279408206' post='2582352']
[quote name='fore_life' date='17 July 2010 - 02:51 PM' timestamp='1279407064' post='2582305']
Play talking Rock and let me know how it is!
[/quote]

Haven't see public times for TR....have you? Or can you just ask?
[/quote]

I know it is offered as one of the courses available as a "traveling benefit" to holders of the various OB Sports discount cards (Longbow Flightcard, WeKoPass, etc...)

[url="http://www.obsports.com/travel"]http://www.obsports.com/travel[/url]
[/quote]

Nice...thanks TJY...I did not know that...I have the WekoPa Pass...I think I will include this in the mix!

Have heard from members that Hassy is in great shape again, the course that is not the club it's self. The club is going through tough times with all kinds of rumors coming out ... Thinking of playing there next week or so..

Playing The Lakes on Monday, suppose to be in great shape also...
Been playing Antelope a lot as mens club is in full swing.. In good shape.. Antelope is getting a lot of water early and a couple of holes show it (#3 north lower part), pretty bumpy... Other wise the course is in great shape and they are rolling the greens every couple of days. This is the first year they've done that...

We see a lot of play from Phx the last couple of weeks.. Pretty hot down there Huh!!! It's OK we come down in the winter....

So here is the rundown...pics shortly.

Hassayampa = Course ok..front 9 is boring, ugly w/ all the houses. Back nine is very nice. Mold still in some places on the greens and some dry patches that the crew was spot aerating. In general the course was in good shape, but not worth the price. The staff and clubhouse made the course not worth the trip at all. The golf staff were very snotty and condascending to the non-members(there were about 3 groups). The restaurant staff were very rude to the non members. Needelss to say, I have no desire to go back...just not worth it.

Now Prescott Lakes on the other hand...I can't believe no one talks about this course. They get it here...they don't have a club house...but don't need it...I will take the trailer over the overbearing cathedral at Hass any day. The course....almost perfect tee to green. Hale Irwin design that is outstanding. Arnold Palmer golf now running it and doing a great job. I liked everything about this course. The views from a lot of the holes are outstanding!!! The holes are designed brilliantly...I had the opportunity to play 2 rounds there this weekend and even considered membership....Almost had my first hole in one as well on 16 today. If you get the chance, make sure and play this course. It was well worth the drive.

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1280111899' post='2598950']
So here is the rundown...pics shortly.

Hassayampa = Course ok..front 9 is boring, ugly w/ all the houses. Back nine is very nice. Mold still in some places on the greens and some dry patches that the crew was spot aerating. In general the course was in good shape, but not worth the price. The staff and clubhouse made the course not worth the trip at all. The golf staff were very snotty and condascending to the non-members(there were about 3 groups). The restaurant staff were very rude to the non members. Needelss to say, I have no desire to go back...just not worth it.
[/quote]

I considered going up to Hassy today, but made plans for Seven Canyons instead (until my gf got sick and we cancelled). Anyways, I called Hassy a few days ago to simply ask if they had been slow enough on Sunday afternoons where me and my gf could not get paired up and stay as a twosome if we came up. The guy on the phone got instantly snotty as soon as he realized I wasn't a member and would barely give me an answer.

I mean, I kinda get it. I worked at a private club for a couple years and generally wasn't thrilled on public play days, but I certainly wasn't instantly rude to non-members. Between your story and my phone call, sounds like the staff is pretty put off by public play.

BUT... I disagree with you on the course. I've played there several times (before they offered public times) and really enjoy the layout. It's one of my favorite tracks in the state and definitely don't find the front 9 boring. I look forward to getting up there in a few weeks for the $55 rate.

I thought Precott Lakes stayed private. At least that is what they told me. I have not seen the Hassayampa rate lower then $70.00. Both Prescott Lakes and Hassayampa have been a bit snotty to me because I am not a member, not impressive.

But with the rain all courses look good. I will re-check Prescott Lakes, a great course IMHO and just over the hill from where I live. =) maverick

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1280111899' post='2598950']

Now Prescott Lakes on the other hand...I can't believe no one talks about this course. They get it here...they don't have a club house...but don't need it...I will take the trailer over the overbearing cathedral at Hass any day.
[/quote]

Haven't seen the "cathedral" at Hassyampa, but I believe this is part of the reason many of the recently developed privates are struggling, they are saddled with huge debt because of the perceived need to build a monsterous 50,000 sqft clubhouse. Sure it helps sell lots in a good economy but right now a lot of them are drowning in monthly debt service.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry kind of late on reply to this thread...
The Lakes is in great shape...
I got a call from a golf buddy who was a memeber with me at Hassy before we both quit. Believe me, the attitude is not just for non-members. We did not have the $$ others there had and were the first to bolt when the membership bought the course.. Hassy is in bad shape as far as membership, lot of members have quit.

Anyway, back to the phone call, Prescott Lakes is now offering a new package for membership. $239.00 a month Golf Only, this does not include the gym etc... Carts are $16.00 round or $900.00 fot he year. The membership is a temporary membership. It only last 12 months.

I think this is a great move by the Lakes management. Their memership is down like all courses, however they are going out side the box with this offer. You sign up for 12 months, nothing down and only pay $239.00 month, then after the year if they still need additional revenue you can reup for the same deal or roll it over to full (don't know the details on this)...

Still, for the most part The Lakes is a players course. Very long with a lot of side hills where a lot of older players get winded climbing up and down. Took my farther in law there once and he had a pretty horrible time. The course was too tough to play, he is a 25 hncp and wore him out physically.

• 4 weeks later...

I always get a different answer at Prescott Lakes about their pricing. This is the latest I was quoted. If TWO of us join at the same time the rate would be about $250.00 per month.

At that price, I would have to play 8 rounds per month = $31.00 per round. That would also mean doing this all year long and in the winter there will be days or weeks of no play possible.

$45.00-$50.00 per round without the commitment of $250.00 per month would fill the course. I drive by it every day and there are not many golfers on the course. Actually I have [i]never[/i] seen the course even close to full.

I love the course but the people that did run it were a-holes. I hope Arnold's people are better. I need to go over there this week and find out the current pricing. It seems to change with the wind.

3k per year is not too bad IF it was playable all year and you can get tee times. JMHO =) Maverick

Byron Morgan 615 33"