2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

All Things Michigan Golf

Openwater22

[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1292536308' post='2844338']
OBT,
The end of year company owned closed auctions are this week. I've been buying like a maniac, Suburbans, Yukon SL, Hummers, D-max crews, Express 15 pass vans. Trying to buy a 10' Grand Sport Vette Convertible in jetstream blue, but I've been coming in 2nd place on those.

BTW, OD wants me to get him a Stinkin' Linkin'. Talk some sense into him would ya'.
j
[/quote]

I actually want a 2011 Ford Edge Limited...not a stinkin linkin...:)

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3_Jack_Par

• odshot68

• Openwater22

• knickerbocker

Does anyone know of a good instructor in the Metro Detroit/Ann Arbor who specializes in putting or can at least help me to learn to stop being so horrible on the greens? I really want to improve that part of my game, because I could easily get to scratch if I could knock off two putts per round, and I'm just sick of giving away strokes with three-jacks and missed 3 footers.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' timestamp='1292551006' post='2844684']
Does anyone know of a good instructor in the Metro Detroit/Ann Arbor who specializes in putting or can at least help me to learn to stop being so horrible on the greens? I really want to improve that part of my game, because I could easily get to scratch if I could knock off two putts per round, and I'm just sick of giving away strokes with three-jacks and missed 3 footers.
[/quote]

Noonan!! You need to buy "The Caddyshack Putter". I think it even comes with a special headcover too!

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

honestly...sorry LOL. I would find a SAM putting lab. I think it would tell you your flaws and give you what you need to do to improve and even tell you the best putter for your stroke. Its not cheap but well worth it at your level.

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Try Fox Hills in Plymouth, Golfers Advantage in Fenton, King Par in Flushing, or Precscription Putting in Okemos.

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1292548107' post='2844610']
[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1292536308' post='2844338']
OBT,
The end of year company owned closed auctions are this week. I've been buying like a maniac, Suburbans, Yukon SL, Hummers, D-max crews, Express 15 pass vans. Trying to buy a 10' Grand Sport Vette Convertible in jetstream blue, but I've been coming in 2nd place on those.

BTW, OD wants me to get him a Stinkin' Linkin'. Talk some sense into him would ya'.
j
[/quote]

I actually want a 2011 Ford Edge Limited...not a stinkin linkin...:)

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with the Edge..... but I would look at one of Openwaters Malibu's..... they are very nice also.

Openwater..... I like that list of yours.....other then I never could get rid of them 15 pass vans once I bought em..... after I would make a few curtailments to GMAC, I'd practically give the things away!!!! I'm surprised to see that they have D-Max at the GM sale.

What are you going to do with the Gran sport Vette..... driver or seller? I Still have the Corvette Pinball Machine I bought from Chevy !!!!!!

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1292551257' post='2844693']
honestly...sorry LOL. I would find a SAM putting lab. I think it would tell you your flaws and give you what you need to do to improve and even tell you the best putter for your stroke. Its not cheap but well worth it at your level.

[/quote]

Miles of Golf upgraded....they have a SAM lab now too.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

Check out [url="http://www.groupgolfer.com"]www.groupgolfer.com[/url] A local Michigan site that offers low cost deals on Michigan courses as "groupons". A specified number of deals are needed for the low price with no limit on # of deals. Tuesdays deal was 4 rounds at Rattle Run with cart for $65.00. Last I checked, they had sold over 70. Sign-up & you get an e-mail daily with the deal of the day. Watch for your favorites & get them for 50-60% off. I've got 3 twosomes ready to go for the spring. Come on sunshine!

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1292551347' post='2844695']
Try Fox Hills in Plymouth, Golfers Advantage in Fenton, King Par in Flushing, or Precscription Putting in Okemos.

[/quote]

I have worked with a guy at Fox Hills on my swing for a couple of years, but I'm not going to be going there anymore, because he's got too much going on to be available as often as I wanted him to be if I was going to do the kind of swing overhaul I was trying to do. I'm to the point with my swing that I know what I'm doing wrong and I just need to keep working to correct those flaws.
On the putting I'll probably try Miles of Golf -- I'm pretty sure CPP is right about the SAM lab, and their instruction program is really well regarded. It's also fairly close to my house.

Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Hey odshot, remember when we played Eagle Eye and I said that I really liked my Karsten Anser, and the only change I would think about making would be to go to a Redwood Anser, but that would be kind of silly, because it's just a more expensive version of the same putter?

:busted2:

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' timestamp='1292868238' post='2850007']
Hey odshot, remember when we played Eagle Eye and I said that I really liked my Karsten Anser, and the only change I would think about making would be to go to a Redwood Anser, but that would be kind of silly, because it's just a more expensive version of the same putter?

[/quote]

LOL!!! In honesty, that Redwood will feel much better and give awesome feedback. Great choice. Now I need strokes!!

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1292887830' post='2850560']
[quote name='Tiger Jr.' timestamp='1292868238' post='2850007']

[/quote]

LOL!!! In honesty, that Redwood will feel much better and give awesome feedback. Great choice. Now I need strokes!!

[/quote]

Yeah, I've been kicking myself since just before I got the Karsten, because there was a used one at Miles of Golf that I was fooling around with, and draining everything with, and I didn't pull the trigger. I tried to go back a few days later to get it, and it was gone. I do prefer the feel, for sure, and I also got what appears to be a really good deal on the Redwood (it's supposed to get here in the next couple days)

I'm not giving you strokes until I see how you hit it with the 910! Getting beat by a guy without a driver was a bit humbling.

I hope it works for you and gets you over the hump..(scratch). I am looking forward to 2011. I got my putter bent 4 degrees flat and it made a huge difference with alignment and I have been draining everything with it since bending it. Last round was 27 putts. I did get my 910 but it will continue to sit new for another few months. I should have a new set of irons and wedges by then as well. March/April can't come soon enough!!

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1292895905' post='2850812']
I hope it works for you and gets you over the hump..(scratch). I am looking forward to 2011. I got my putter bent 4 degrees flat and it made a huge difference with alignment and I have been draining everything with it since bending it. Last round was 27 putts. I did get my 910 but it will continue to sit new for another few months. I should have a new set of irons and wedges by then as well. March/April can't come soon enough!!

[/quote]

The redwood is a different lie angle, actually -- the same one I have for my irons, which is 0.75 degree upright. I find that my stroke feels best when I'm standing tall over it with the head closer to my feet. I may get it tweaked, from there, if I go ahead and do the SAM analysis or if it just doesn't feel right. But I'm hopeful (aren't we all...). I think I'm going to get to try it in about a month -- I'm supposed to go to San Diego for work, and the guy I'm going to see is a scratch player, and wants to get out with me, so I'm hoping that'll work out.

What are you getting for irons? Pro Combo, or are you moving away from Nike? Pro Combos do look nice.

Pro Combo 5-PW with either DGSL or KBS Tour or Tour 90. Matching forged wedges (to be released in Feb) with KBS wedge shaft or DGSL. I am trying to do a lot of research to figure which shaft would be best and why.

Enjoy San Diego...sounds great. I think the SAM would be very smart for you.

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1292897990' post='2850885']
Pro Combo 5-PW with either DGSL or KBS Tour or Tour 90. Matching forged wedges (to be released in Feb) with KBS wedge shaft or DGSL. I am trying to do a lot of research to figure which shaft would be best and why.

[/quote]

As well as you hit your irons, I'm surprised you'd start with the 5. IIRC, you play with 3 wedges (not including PW), and two hybrids. Does the 3h/4h/5i setup cover all your gaps at the top end for some of the long par 3s you see? I know that I use 2h/4h/4i and just two wedges (54/58) to give myself 15 yard gaps between those 3 clubs. Otherwise, I'm trying to step on or take a little off hybrid/long iron shots, which isn't as easy for me as it is to adjust the distance if I'm between clubs with my wedges.

I think I'll probably try to set up a SAM analysis at MoG while I'm off next week.

[quote name='Tiger Jr.' timestamp='1292941244' post='2851572']

[/quote]

As well as you hit your irons, I'm surprised you'd start with the 5. IIRC, you play with 3 wedges (not including PW), and two hybrids. Does the 3h/4h/5i setup cover all your gaps at the top end for some of the long par 3s you see? I know that I use 2h/4h/4i and just two wedges (54/58) to give myself 15 yard gaps between those 3 clubs. Otherwise, I'm trying to step on or take a little off hybrid/long iron shots, which isn't as easy for me as it is to adjust the distance if I'm between clubs with my wedges.

I think I'll probably try to set up a SAM analysis at MoG while I'm off next week.
[/quote]

The hybrids I play are 17 and 21 degrees (basically a 2 and 3/4 hybrid). For some reason the gapping is perfect and never have a gap between the 21 hybrid and 5 iron. You are correct with the 3 wedges and PW and would carry a 64 if they allowed 15 clubs.. If I need to take a little off the hybrids I choke up an inch and it seems to work fine. I'm getting closer to narrowing set down. My wife told me to get it right the first time. LOL.

Enjoy your fitting at Miles next week.

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1292995077' post='2853410']
[quote name='Tiger Jr.' timestamp='1292941244' post='2851572']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The hybrids I play are 17 and 21 degrees (basically a 2 and 3/4 hybrid). For some reason the gapping is perfect and never have a gap between the 21 hybrid and 5 iron. You are correct with the 3 wedges and PW and would carry a 64 if they allowed 15 clubs.. If I need to take a little off the hybrids I choke up an inch and it seems to work fine. I'm getting closer to narrowing set down. My wife told me to get it right the first time. LOL.

Enjoy your fitting at Miles next week.

[/quote]
Yeah, that setup would never work for me. My hybrids are 18* and 22.5*, and if I got rid of my 4-iron, I'd have a 30 yard gap between my 4h and my 5 iron. The curse of swinging hard, I guess. But it works out, because I've never been able to really take advantage of a high-lofted wedge anyway. I used to carry 52/56/60, but I never got the hang of using the 60 around the greens, and it had very limited usefulness from the fairway. The 54/58 setup fits my short game style a little better, and allows me to fill the distance gaps in my longer clubs.

Got my Redwood yesterday. The first order of business is definitely going to be cutting at least an inch off of it. I don't know if it's because I've been playing a 34" putter since September, but this one is supposedly 35" (I didn't measure it), which is what I'd always played before, and it feels like a belly putter almost. You wouldn't think that an inch would make that much of a difference. The weight, balance and feel are great, though.
Got my putter fitting set up for next Thursday. After that, you're going to be begging for strokes!:rolleyes:

Snow is killing me...I want to play. This time of the year, I wish I lived further south.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

Tiger Jr What fitting are you doing at Miles?

I've done a driver fitting and 2 iron fittings. Just an awesome experience. The iron fitting was the best. I KNOW now that I play S300s and nothing else and I pretty much know my proper lie angles withing 0.5 deg so ordering new clubs is a breeze.

Ping 10k 

PIng 435 3 Wood

Ping 435 17 and 22 Hybrids

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW (3 and 4 on Bench)

Cleveland RTX 6.0 52 56 60

Bettinardi Queen B 6

[quote name='kgeorge78' timestamp='1293034223' post='2853909']
Tiger Jr What fitting are you doing at Miles?

I've done a driver fitting and 2 iron fittings. Just an awesome experience. The iron fitting was the best. I KNOW now that I play S300s and nothing else and I pretty much know my proper lie angles withing 0.5 deg so ordering new clubs is a breeze.
[/quote]

I did a Maxx Driver fitting about 4 years ago, back before they had a trackman. When the driver I ordered came in, they had just gotten their first trackman, and it wasn't set up right, because it wasn't getting readings on most of my shots.

I also did a standard iron fitting when I got my irons a few years ago -- yes, the same irons I still have. Try to wrap your head around that for a minute...:cheesy:

This time, I'm doing a putter fitting/lesson of some sort. On their website, they still show that they do TOMI fittings, but my understanding now is that they have a SAM setup. I honestly don't know the difference, and I think they'd both accomplish the same thing. I've always had good experiences with them, and I like supporting a local shop.

Miles is Great.

When I did my first driver fitting the fitter said Go home you hit your driver the best (909 blueboard) this was Winter 08 / Spring 09.

I did an iron fitting last spring and ended up with the ap2s / mp58s - Went for another fitting a few months ago to see if I hit GI irons any better and it yielded the same results.

Great fitters, great guys there. They don't push....

Ping 10k 

PIng 435 3 Wood

Ping 435 17 and 22 Hybrids

Srixon ZX7 MKII 5-PW (3 and 4 on Bench)

Cleveland RTX 6.0 52 56 60

Bettinardi Queen B 6

[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1293045493' post='2854244']
TigerJr.,

Let the guys at MOG know you've competed in GAM events. Usually nets you a discount.

[/quote]

Yeah, I'm an "Elite Players Association" member (which is overselling my abilities by quite a bit), and they've always treated me really well. For example, they offered a free driver evaluation for EPA members this past summer, so I went out for that, and afterward, the guy gave me a free bucket of balls, without me even asking for anything. They have given me discounts on previous fittings.

Look up Oxymoron in the dictionary and you will find a picture of me with an "Elite Players Association" card. Seriously, MOG caters to avid players and they do a great job of it. I passed on the free driver fitting last year only because I did a driver fitting when I bought the 909D3 and wasn't in the market for a driver and didn't want to waste anyone's time when there was no chance I'd switch.

I did an iron fitting 2 years ago and the fitter spent 2 hrs with me and charged the regular rate, top notch!

BTW, the Golf USA shop in Gaylord has G10 drivers with BB 63 for $149.00 good buy? Good driver? Not really looking for a driver but the Ho' in me is always looking to add an arrow to the quiver

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

[quote name='OneBowTie' timestamp='1292532702' post='2844250']
[quote name='openwater32' timestamp='1292523422' post='2843994']
[quote name='titleist78' timestamp='1292453083' post='2842664']
DONT YOU TALK ABOUT MY LIONS!!!!!!!!!!

Anybody want to go to Carls on Saturday? I'm 99% Sure I'll be there.
[/quote]

Your Lions? Listen up youngin', I've been going to Lions games since before you were born. Earliest memory is 1966 at Tiger Stadium with my Dad. Don't recall the opponent but it might have been the Thanksgiving game. Anyways, it was the game Harry Gilmer got pelted with snowballs from the stands. He was fired and replaced by Joe Schmidt the next year.

Besides, your from Windsor, they can't be "your Lions". That would be like me calling the Toronto Argonauts my team. Just kidding Kev. All the above is tonuge in cheek. Us Lions fans are certainly a "brotherhood" to put up with the Leo's.

No Carl's for me. Going to Talleys Tavern in Lewiston for the best cheeseburger on the planet.

Camaro prices are dropping at auction, ur uncle get one?

[/quote]

The lions and the good ole days!!!! Went to a lions game in 68- also a thanksgiving game..... my brother caught a ball, that was back then before they had nets to stop the field goals and extra points!!!! Come to think of it..... 68- is that the last time the lions won a game....lol

Hey Openwater....... I know they have some great cheeseburgers up north...... Talleys and [i][b]whats that joint on Michigan ave in Dearborn???? [/b][/i]But without a doubt, the best cheeseburger on the planet is in Siler City NC at a joint called Johnsons ..... If your not coming in March then Odshot can tell you all about this place.......

Not good news to hear Camaro prices are dropping...... guess the supply is ramped up full throttle now
[/quote]

Millers Bar. That old grill is what makes the burgers sooo good.

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Driver: Yonex Ezone 380 9*
Fairway: Tour Edge cb5 15*
Hybrid: Tour Edge cb5 19*
Irons: Hogan Ft Worth (15) 21*, 25*, 29*, 33*, 37*, 41*, 45*
Wedges: Hogan TK 49*, 53*, 57*
Putter: 2007 Odyssey Black #1
Bag: PING Hoofer[/font]

Got my putter fitting set up for next Thursday. After that, you're going to be begging for strokes!:rolleyes:
[/quote]

HAHAHA!! ROFLMAO! But I will take strokes if you'll give them to me.

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

BTW, the Golf USA shop in Gaylord has G10 drivers with BB 63 for $149.00 good buy? Good driver? Not really looking for a driver but the Ho' in me is always looking to add an arrow to the quiver

[/quote]

If you like a hook machine pick it up. I don't know if you will like it since your used to a slightly open face now. Let Kevin know, he may want to pick a few up so when he sells the first one he has a backup down the road.

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Where is Millers Bar? I know i've heard of this place, just can't place it. Love me a great burger and multiple beers.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D